PDA

View Full Version : Naming Honours for our Club Legends?

bulldogtragic
10-09-2014, 11:09 PM
I was thinking about the newer AFL stadiums and the new player names which adorn the stadiums.

We have the Whitten Oval, Hawkins Wing, Charlie Sutton Medal etc.

Are there scenarios in which these titles could ever be re-named?
Are there scenarios in which we could split the titles? Ie. The Johnson-West-Smith-Grant-Griffen-Bontempelli-Whitten Oval? Or the Whitten-Grant Oval?
What honours do we have for Bonti in 15 years time?
What honours do we have for others over time?
What is the criteria for naming our club legends to this status?
How do we honour traditional honours but respectfully incorporate new names?
Etc?

SonofScray
10-09-2014, 11:19 PM
You'd have to be going pretty well across every facet of AFL life to ever earn the accolades and honours in the West that Mr Football has. Oval, Bridge, two statues. If it ever got changed, it'd be because we'll have seen another player, coach and media personality absolutely dominate the world of football.

The Chris Grant Pocket to honour that goal to broke Essendon's unbeaten run.

I'll set the bar at two flags, 300 games and a successful stint as coach or on the Board to get something renamed in your honour.

Webby
10-09-2014, 11:21 PM
$500k p.a. Salaries is honour enough, IMO.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2014, 11:25 PM
$500k p.a. Salaries is honour enough, IMO.

Being Devils Advocate, Whitten, Sutton, Hawkins get honours. Chris Grant should be happy to just have have the lesser money he stayed for? On that basis we are never changing anything.

LostDoggy
11-09-2014, 06:53 AM
You'd have to be going pretty well across every facet of AFL life to ever earn the accolades and honours in the West that Mr Football has. Oval, Bridge, two statues. If it ever got changed, it'd be because we'll have seen another player, coach and media personality absolutely dominate the world of football.

The Chris Grant Pocket to honour that goal to broke Essendon's unbeaten run.

I'll set the bar at two flags, 300 games and a successful stint as coach or on the Board to get something renamed in your honour.

And a bar @ Etihad, never forget the bar at Etihad!

Axe Man
11-09-2014, 02:47 PM
The Peter Street goal post?
The Doug Hawkins Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too?
The Nathan Brown ATM?
The Steve Kretiuk Urinal? (It was him that was busted relieving himself in a huddle wasn't it, or am I thinking of somebody else?)

LostDoggy
11-09-2014, 03:18 PM
The various awards on Sutton medal night -are they named based on ex-player characteristics, or randomly drawn legends?

LostDoggy
11-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Who is this Bolte? Name change to Bonti Bridge, straight through the big sticks!!!