PDA

View Full Version : Howard set to be delisted

AndrewP6
14-09-2014, 04:52 PM
From the Sunday Herald-Sun:
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawks-rule-out-play-for-mitch-clark-no-takers-for-mitch-robinson-and-more-in-the-sunday-session/story-fn69a32t-1227058074164

Also noted is the Western Bulldogs plan to restructure the medical dept, with Drs Landsberger and Zimmerman to oversee the changes.

bulldogtragic
14-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Thanks Andrew. Not sure the Hun an call it News?

The Underdog
14-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks Andrew. Not sure the Hun an call it News?

Shall we go with fate?

bulldogtragic
14-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Shall we go with fate?

Fate. Inevitability?

SquirrelGrip
14-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Hardly breaking news!

F'scary
14-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Hang on - hold everthing, he played a good game for Footscray yesterday, sure we're not being too hasty?

always right
14-09-2014, 06:10 PM
People have been calling for him to be delisted the last three years....yet it hasn't happened. If he is finally delisted, I reckon that's news.

Remi Moses
14-09-2014, 06:27 PM
No great surprise.

LostDoggy
14-09-2014, 06:34 PM
It's a given he must be delisted but geez he showed some passion yesterday after kicking that goal from 50. Melted my Bulldog heart.

ledge
14-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Doesn't mean he won't stay at footscray

westdog54
14-09-2014, 07:33 PM
From the Sunday Herald-Sun:
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawks-rule-out-play-for-mitch-clark-no-takers-for-mitch-robinson-and-more-in-the-sunday-session/story-fn69a32t-1227058074164

Also noted is the Western Bulldogs plan to restructure the medical dept, with Drs Landsberger and Zimmerman to oversee the changes.

I'll believe it when I see it.

The Medical side of things may be on the back of our VFL Team Doctor being arrested and charged over some prescriptions he made to bikies.

ledge
14-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Wasn't he already gone by the time that came out ?

westdog54
14-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Wasn't he already gone by the time that came out ?

Being that the VFL team is still going, we haven't made any annnouncements re delistings. You would think they'd come in week following the VFL GF.

1eyedog
14-09-2014, 11:46 PM
That's a real shame for Howard - the Dal Santo minus the skill. I hope he has a good send off at Footscray and hope he'll be picked up by the Aints.

Mofra
15-09-2014, 11:28 AM
The Medical side of things may be on the back of our VFL Team Doctor being arrested and charged over some prescriptions he made to bikies.
May be a shake-up of the physios too - heard whispers that Will & Bobby don't use the club physios and travel to Ascot Vale to see an osteopath

craigsahibee
15-09-2014, 11:54 AM
I'll be there for his farewell game this week. Hopefully we can dove-tail Mark Austin into the equation also.

Dancin' Douggy
15-09-2014, 12:31 PM
The Christian Howard selection will burn in my gut forever. FOREVER I SAID!!!!!

Twodogs
15-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Did you say forever?

GVGjr
15-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Guys, if it's true that Howard is leaving the club lets not have any parting shots at him. He didn't ask to be selected in the first round which has become such a focus and I just hope we can be a bit more generous with our comments. We need to remember there are no sure things with draft selections.

Dancin' Douggy
15-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Did you say forever?

No, I didn't say forever. I YELLED forever.

Dancin' Douggy
15-09-2014, 08:36 PM
To be fair, I criticised the selection, not the person.
The decision of the recruiting staff is not Christian's fault.
The decision will burn in my gut forever, but I have absolutely no ill will towards Christian.

I believe my track record will show I'm not a 'player basher'.

GVGjr
15-09-2014, 08:42 PM
To be fair, I criticised the selection, not the person.
The decision of the recruiting staff is not Christian's fault.
The decision will burn in my gut forever, but I have absolutely no ill will towards Christian.

I believe my track record will show I'm not a 'player basher'.

Sorry if it came across that way, I just wanted to make it clear to all that while it might not have worked out like we hoped for Howard we shouldn't be ridiculing him.
In more normal circumstances he might have been a 3rd round selection and we would have measured him against the likes of Pearce or a slow developer like Easton Wood. Prior to this years break out by Easton Wood there wasn't a huge difference in output between the two of them. Wood was never under the scrutiny that Howard was.

The Doctor
15-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Guys, if it's true that Howard is leaving the club lets not have any parting shots at him. He didn't ask to be selected in the first round which has become such a focus and I just hope we can be a bit more generous with our comments. We need to remember there are no sure things with draft selections.

100% correct

if anything the recruiter Simon Dalrymple should be held to account. He is the one who should face the music and made to understand how stupid his decisions were in that draft. Hopefully the club has imposed key selection criteria on Dalrymple so that he will not gamble on any future draft picks.

lemmon
15-09-2014, 09:08 PM
100% correct

if anything the recruiter Simon Dalrymple should be held to account. He is the one who should face the music and made to understand how stupid his decisions were in that draft. Hopefully the club has imposed key selection criteria on Dalrymple so that he will not gamble on any future draft picks.
To be fair Stringer, Macrae and Bontempelli were all considered relative reaches at the time. I have a lot of faith in Dalrymple's methods considering recent results.

Dancin' Douggy
15-09-2014, 09:09 PM
I judge the recruiting staff harshly for this one because no one knew who the hell Christian Howard was when we called his name out.
We could have probably taken him with a rookie pick.

The players we ignored to select an absolute unknown gamble included...........
(and I know we've been over this before but I just want it to really sink in).

We could have on our list RIGHT NOW instead of Christian...... any of the following names.
Without Trading them in or offering 5 year multi million dollar deals etc etc.

NAT FYFE
JAKE CARLISLE
SAM REID
JACK GUNSTON

And a whole bunch of good solid next tier players.

The decision was a destiny changing moment in my opinion. And has set us back years.
Pick 15 should never be thrown away on a mid paced mid sized unknown flanker.
I know the recruiting staff has made some great decisions over the last few years but this one still stings.

azabob
15-09-2014, 09:11 PM
100% correct

They have. But, the worry for you is, it is a Brendan MacCartney designed key selection criteria.

Remi Moses
15-09-2014, 09:26 PM
To be fair Stringer, Macrae and Bontempelli were all considered relative reaches at the time. I have a lot of faith in Dalrymple's methods considering recent results.

That seems to be conveniently forgotten .
Most of us ( including me) condemned him for picking MB instead of Aish 12 months ago.
Yeah the Howard selection has stunk, but I trust his judgement .
Must be taken into account the idiotic situation where are chief recruiter was part time.

Throughandthrough
15-09-2014, 10:09 PM
I judge the recruiting staff harshly for this one because no one knew who the hell Christian Howard was when we called his name out.

We could have on our list RIGHT NOW instead of Christian...... any of the following names.

NAT FYFE
JAKE CARLISLE
SAM REID
JACK GUNSTON

The decision was a destiny changing moment in my opinion. And has set us back years.
I know the recruiting staff has made some great decisions over the last few years but this one still stings.

We've been through this before. The Dogs were planning/expecting to get Howard at a later pick, but somehow it leaked out the day of the draft that we were all over Howie, and there was a big story in the Adelaide Advertiser that day written by Andrew Capel spilling the story. This forced our hand and the decision was made that we still wanted him so we used an earlier pick. Sometime after the draft Richmond admitted that if we didn't take Howard then they would have. Another club (can't remember who) also admitted strong interest. Howard was a real smokie, and hadn't been involved in the State u18 team and had played more footy for Sacred Heart u18's than Glenelg that year, and yes he had slipped completely under the popular radar.

Here's the original article

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/bolter-from-the-bays/story-e6frekfc-1225804070347

AN unheralded Glenelg junior has emerged as one of the biggest bolters of today's AFL national draft.

Dashing half-back Christian Howard was not invited to this year's AFL draft camp or State screening sessions but his phone has run hot in the past few weeks, with seven clubs, including the Crows, expressing strong interest in him.

Howard - who played a starring role in the Tigers' successful under-18 finals campaign - has gone from an outside rookie-list hope to a possible top-30 pick on the back of a late-season surge and two strong finals performances.

Hometown club Adelaide began the chase, contacting the 18-year-old last month. Calls from the Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Richmond and Sydney have followed.

"Things have happened so quickly that I struggle to even think about it," Howard said.

"I had heard rumours during the season that some scouts were watching me but I never spoke to anyone or believed it until I got a call from a management group (Justin Reid's ESP) a month or so ago.

"Since then, the interest has started and the phone's pretty much run hot."

Described as being a mix of Hawthorn's Luke Hodge (kicking skills), Geelong's Andrew Mackie (the way he patrols half-back) and Adelaide's Brad Symes (physique and running ability), Howard's star has risen so quickly he is being considered as high as a second-round pick.

"Christian's virtually come from nowhere," said SA under-18 coach Brenton Phillips, who did not pick him in his State squad.

"He was getting 10-to-12 touches a game at under-18 level early in the year but by the end of the season he was winning the ball 20-to-22 times and using it well. He has turned into a dashing left-footer who is such an elite kick that he virtually nails them every time."

Brought through Glenelg's junior grades as a midfielder but used this season as an attacking half-back flanker, the 187cm Howard was the Tigers' designated under-18 kicker. His kicking was so strong it drew comparisons to Norm Smith Medallist Hodge.

"He's got that depth and accuracy with his kicking, which is so important in footy these days," Glenelg football manager Ken Applegarth said. "And he's got that uncanny ability to read the play and find the footy. It's amazing how quickly he's developed this year and he works so hard on his game that it's no surprise to see AFL clubs chasing him. He really does tick all the boxes."

Howard, who joined Glenelg's junior program at 11 from Sacred Heart College, said he has no doubt his brilliant under-18 finals series has helped his draft standing. "If you play well in big games it certainly helps" he said.

Last month, Howard had not contemplated watching the draft. Now he and his parents will converge at his grandparents Kidman Park home to see it unfold. "They've got Foxtel and I don't," he said. "So we'll sit there and hope things turn out well. I don't care at what number I go, as long as it happens."

Follow up

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/capel-honoured-at-media-awards/story-e6freckc-1225935821726

SENIOR football writer Andrew Capel was hailed by the SANFL with one of its highest media honours last night as The Advertiser and localfootysa.com.au won major awards.

Capel's 30 years in football journalism - stretching from Messenger Newspapers, the Sunday Mail and The Advertiser - was recognised by SANFL president Rod Payze with the league's "Outstanding Achievement Award".

Capel also claimed the best print story award for his accurate assessment of Glenelg defender Christian Howard's rise to the AFL as a first-round draft pick to the Western Bulldogs last November.

LostDoggy
15-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Described as being a mix of Hawthorn's Luke Hodge (kicking skills), Geelong's Andrew Mackie (the way he patrols half-back) and Adelaide's Brad Symes (physique and running ability), Howard's star has risen so quickly he is being considered as high as a second-round pick.

Wow. Everyone compares a potential draftee to current players, but I'm not sure, 5 or so years down the track, that he resembles any of those players. Congrats on the award Andrew Capel.

Dancin' Douggy
15-09-2014, 10:20 PM

Oh Come ON!!!! Bontempelli was hovering in the top 10. Stringer was the best Junior in the land before he broke his leg and Macrae was best on ground in the TAC grand final. They were all good decisions and perhaps slight reaches but they were no Christian Howards.

F'scary
15-09-2014, 10:22 PM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1225935821726

SENIOR football writer Andrew Capel was hailed by the SANFL with one of its highest media honours last night as The Advertiser and localfootysa.com.au won major awards.

Capel's 30 years in football journalism - stretching from Messenger Newspapers, the Sunday Mail and The Advertiser - was recognised by SANFL president Rod Payze with the league's "Outstanding Achievement Award".

Capel also claimed the best print story award for his accurate assessment of Glenelg defender Christian Howard's rise to the AFL as a first-round draft pick to the Western Bulldogs last November.

Sounds like he was being rewarded for services to his State by running a clever provocateur disinformation campaign.

The Howard recruitment will go down in the annals of the AFL as being second only to the Tambling debacle.

BulldogBelle
16-09-2014, 12:08 AM

NAT FYFE
JAKE CARLISLE
SAM REID
JACK GUNSTON

Add Michael Barlow and Stewart Crameri who were rookied that draft. Geelong's Menzel was taken soon after Howard.

stefoid
16-09-2014, 12:17 AM
we've been through this before. The dogs were planning/expecting to get howard at a later pick, but somehow it leaked out the day of the draft that we were all over howie, and there was a big story in the adelaide advertiser that day written by andrew capel spilling the story. This forced our hand and the decision was made that we still wanted him so we used an earlier pick. sometime after the draft richmond admitted that if we didn't take howard then they would have.

ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!

stefoid
16-09-2014, 12:20 AM

Sounds like he was being rewarded for services to his State by running a clever provocateur disinformation campaign.

The Howard recruitment will go down in the annals of the AFL as being second only to the Tambling debacle.

as allah is my witness

macca
16-09-2014, 12:28 AM
You can add , frost , rampe and podsiadly. Frost would have been an ideal replacement for Dale. why are we afraid of Richmond drafting a player we want to get for a 3rd rounder. Would happily swap a grant for riewildt. I can't believe we missed the Reid brothers given their pedigree .

Happy Days
16-09-2014, 12:45 AM
If trading is the work of the devil, then retrospective drafting is the work of Little Nicky.

Surely no one blames Howard for where he was drafted?

Remi Moses
16-09-2014, 01:27 AM
You can add , frost , rampe and podsiadly. Frost would have been an ideal replacement for Dale. why are we afraid of Richmond drafting a player we want to get for a 3rd rounder. Would happily swap a grant for riewildt. I can't believe we missed the Reid brothers given their pedigree .

Rampe by his own admission wasn't ready for AFL footy while at Willy.
I agree with Frost ( remember him playing well against port in a final)
Sam Reid ( we cocked up there ) but Ben went top 10 in about 06

Sedat
16-09-2014, 03:27 AM
Fyfe and Reid instead of Howard and Tutt. Would be handy right now.

Christian Howard reminds me of my Tigers mate when talking about Todd Menegola, an old Richmond relic from the mid 90's - beautiful kick, just can't find the ball and can't play. Alas, Howard wasn't even a good kick.

chef
16-09-2014, 07:36 AM

No it wont, it's not even close. There'd be at least a 100 worse draft pick ups than that. Melbourne alone has made dozens in the last decade

soupman
16-09-2014, 08:22 AM

Because it clearly wasn't as bad as the Lucas Cook pick (pick 10 who was delisted two seasons later), or the McDougall pick, or the Mitch Thorp pick etc.

It looks terrible when you say "we could have selected Fyfe, or Carlisle etc" but Howard was just one of many disappointing selections in that draft from every club.

lemmon
16-09-2014, 04:34 PM

That Howard article available anywhere?

Axe Man
16-09-2014, 05:07 PM
That Howard article available anywhere?

Bolter from the Bays (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/bolter-from-the-bays/story-e6frekfc-1225804070347)

According to this we were just 1 of 7 clubs that spoke to him pre-draft. Seems there was plenty of interest in him, unfortunately we jumped before the others.

F'scary
16-09-2014, 09:51 PM
No it wont, it's not even close. There'd be at least a 100 worse draft pick ups than that. Melbourne alone has made dozens in the last decade

Because it clearly wasn't as bad as the Lucas Cook pick (pick 10 who was delisted two seasons later), or the McDougall pick, or the Mitch Thorp pick etc.

Hmmm, I think I better strategically concede the point. Ok, you guys are correct. The Dees record is spectacularly woeful over quite a number of years. I went and reviewed their choices on Footywire and kept cracking up over and over as I flipped through the years.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm going to stop my negativity. Yes he's crap, but we selected him. If he read this thread he'd be shocked that there seems no ceasation to the angst. The point is when you make mistakes in life to not do make them again, so far so good.

Thanks for trying Christian and good luck for your career in SANFL or local footy. Hope your best on this Sunday.

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2014, 10:11 PM
I think the whole point of this thread is to criticise the selection panel. Not the player.
If we can't criticise the decision we'll just walk on eggshells forever.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2014, 10:17 PM
I think the whole point of this thread is to criticise the selection panel. Not the player.

Criticise away, I'm not telling you not to. I think there's 10,000 posts or criticism about the issue. How many more is up for everyone else to work out, all I'm saying is I wish him well and will move my attention to other things. Like a Grand Final, father sons, draft and things which are about going forward and not back. All I said was MY intention to change focus, there's no egg shells, say what you like.

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Fair enough Bulldogtragic, it's just that it was SUCH A HUGE CLANGER it's hard to let go.
Lest we forget and all that.
Never again.....never again.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Fair enough Bulldogtragic, it's just that it was SUCH A HUGE CLANGER it's hard to let go.
Lest we forget and all that.
Never again.....never again.

I'm hearing ya Dougie, I'm still getting over Koops for Dave Mundy. We could have Fyfe, Barlow & Mundy in another universe. The lesson is trade better, draft better and get better state players. But it's getting to the point where we are furiously agreeing. I've never seen our club, AFL or VFL play in a grand final so I'd rather move on myself, not telling anyone else what to do though.

LostDoggy
16-09-2014, 10:47 PM
For better or worse Christian, you will be remembered. Good luck with your future endeavours, hopefully you leave as a VFL premiership winner:)

Throughandthrough
16-09-2014, 10:48 PM
It almost seems like some of the posters on here would be happier if Howard played a stinker in the GF, and cost Footscray the match, by the tone of some of the posts. FFS the young guy was chosen by the dogs, moved to Melbourne away from his very close family and did his best. Obviously in complete hindsight we could have drafted a much better player, but he's still a human, for crying out loud. I Hope he wins a flag with Footscray and has a great match. <<rant over>>

bornadog
16-09-2014, 11:22 PM

Personally I hate discussing we should have done this or done that. What I am more concerned about is not repeating mistakes, list management and who will we be drafting this year or next.

BulldogBelle
19-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Certainly not Howard's fault how this panned out. Big strategy error on the Dogs part, which I think the club has learnt from. First round should be best available/potential stars. Role players (such as a half back flanker with a deadly boot) should be drafted in later rounds. We did it right last draft. Bonti (a star) first, Fuller. (A role player, half back flanker with a deadly boot) late. If Fuller doesn't work out, we haven't really lost out, just rolled the dice and we're unlucky.

craigsahibee
24-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Confirmation on the bulldogs Website that Howard, Goodes and Young will not be retained on the list. Surely that is not the end of it.

LostDoggy
24-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Good luck to Christian. He'll forever be a Footscray premiership winner.

DISHLICKERS
24-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Good luck to Christian. He'll forever be a Footscray premiership winner.

De-listings were pretty much expected I would say, no real surprises there.

As for Christian how nice does Footscray Premiership winner sound?

Go the Scray

Pedro Sanchez
24-09-2014, 03:48 PM
De-listings were pretty much expected I would say, no real surprises there.

As for Christian how nice does Footscray Premiership winner sound?

Go the Scray

I know his age is a factor but I reckon Goodes is a bit stiff. He's a better player than VFL level. Also interesting that Young got flicked. They must rate Austin ahead of him.

In my book, Howard just lacked intensity to consitently play at the highest level.

What are others thoughts on our two father-son prospects Foster and Cordy. Will we make a play for both?

AndrewP6
24-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Good luck to all three, I hope they stay on at Footscray.

GVGjr
24-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Confirmation on the bulldogs Website that Howard, Goodes and Young will not be retained on the list. Surely that is not the end of it.

There might be a couple more

LostDoggy
24-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Well said GVGjr..

azabob
24-09-2014, 11:04 PM
There might be a couple more

Are you talking outside of Higgins, jones & wood?

bulldogtragic
25-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Taking the smart arse comments aside, what happened to turn Howard from a 100 game AFL player less than 12 months (said BMac) ago to de-listing today? With being genuine, what did BMac see then that he no longer sees now? I didn't see too much difference from his last VFL season to this VFL season.

boydogs
25-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Taking the smart arse comments aside, what happened to turn Howard from a 100 game AFL player less than 12 months (said BMac) ago to de-listing today? With being genuine, what did BMac see then that he no longer sees now? I didn't see too much difference from his last VFL season to this VFL season.

Could have just been trying to show confidence in him to see if that helped

ledge
25-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Maybe he meant at another club :-)

GVGjr
25-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Are you talking outside of Higgins, jones & wood?

Yes, some more decisions might depend on who else wants out or if there is interest in a potential trade.