PDA

View Full Version : Which area of our side is the most we need to work on

Eastdog
14-09-2014, 10:32 PM
For me:

Forward line not as much as I thought as we have some exciting small forwards coming through just need a big man there.

Midfield looks very good

Defence I think needs the most work

Do you agree?

bulldogtragic
14-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Yes.

w3design
14-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Not so much an area but transition all across the ground.

from back to forward, from centre bounce forward, from stoppage or dead ball.

if we get transition including delivery right our forward line dysfunction immediately evaporates.

moving from forward to back does also.

if we get our structures right and work back hard enough our Defense will no longer be exposed.

it is not just individuals or areas of the ground but how we set up and transition that will provide the greatest improvement

1eyedog
14-09-2014, 11:19 PM
I'm hoping to see some real improvement in the coaches box - I mean real improvement. If we aren't in the hunt for a spot between 6-8 next year then I think all positions in the coaches box will come under enormous scrutiny. PG alluded to as much in his post-season report which to me contained an underlying (and very public) frustration with our effort this year. He, like many of us I'm sure, thinks we punched below our weight. I'm not an idealist, I know we have serious limitations with our list and huge holes not only across the ground but also in our age profile, but surely we must expect some improvement from the coaching staff 4 years in to the Macca reign.

On field, the coaching staff must work on a strategy that stops us bleeding goals in short periods of time - we were cut up really quickly by a number of teams this year (first game against Norf) and while that comes down to a lack of fitness and inexperienced bodies the coaching staff needs to instill a sense of being in the moment and how momentum can be countered by playing tempo footy or static footy through maintaining possession and being negative at contests. The things that makes a good team to me is not quick transition but having the ability to absorb the opposition's momentum and limit scoreboard damage. Hawthorn did it wonderfully well against Geelong in the Qualifying final when the Cats were up and about. If we can do this next year we'll be in most games up to our eyeballs.

This seems obvious to me but it didn't look like we had a clue about it all year. Very frustrating.

F'scary
15-09-2014, 07:57 PM
An alternative to the numbers round the ball playing style that results in more efficient and quicker movement of the ball upfield and better coverage against the turnover in our forward half.

Dancin' Douggy
15-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Outside run. We need some seriously fast run and carry players who are creative and skilful.
And I don't care if they don't crack in either.

But over the next two drafts we also need to nail One tall key forward and one tall Key back. In no particular order.

LostDoggy
15-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Defense. Currently big forwards have a field day against us. Opp teams score way too easily from kick ins too.

Eastdog
16-09-2014, 01:17 AM
I really want to see us playing a lot more free flowing footy as I think that's when we do well. When we chip it and its stop start we really struggle. For those who really really look at the game style do we zone a lot more than go man on man. What would be the best style for Macca to use. It really depends on the opposition really. Zoning against good teams with good foot skills is not a bright idea.

Sedat
16-09-2014, 03:17 AM
Ball movement, disposal skills and decision making. Our game style looks about 3-4 years behind the pacesetters because of our obvious deficiencies in these 3 key areas.

DISHLICKERS
16-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Ball movement, disposal skills and decision making. Our game style looks about 3-4 years behind the pacesetters because of our obvious deficiencies in these 3 key areas.

The above and also one more area a little more specific is a plan to bring the ball in form a behind.

In the 3 years under Macca I cannot see this area been addressed it seems we struggle with it and opposition sides seem to do it easier.

chef
16-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Our spread from the contest.

Dancin' Douggy
16-09-2014, 11:05 AM
we just need to get the ball to Jake Stringer faster.

Mofra
16-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Run & spread in the midfield and defensive pressure in the midfield.

Greystache
16-09-2014, 01:20 PM
A lot of things, but in particular-

Our defending one on one- We get outmarked far too often.

Our marking- We have to be the worst marking team across the ground in the league. We talk about winning contested ball, but when the ball is in the air we almost never win it unless we're 20m in the clear.

Twodogs
19-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Kicking the ball. We are worse than I can remember us ever being at disposing of the ball by foot.

1eyedog
20-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Kicking the ball. We are worse than I can remember us ever being at disposing of the ball by foot.

Why is this? It is really troubling.

I'm hoping we are learning how to play different styles of footy rather than developing a game plan as such and that is why there is so much variation in our results. The start of last year was all about contested footy but the last 6 rounds were all about taking your chances and moving the ball quickly. I'm hoping Macca is developing a number of game plans and how they are rolled out depends on the opposition on a week by week basis. That said, I'm not entirely sure what we were working on this year.

mighty_west
20-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Overall our intensity and work rate and helping each other out, the rest will pretty much take care of itself, just watching the way Sydney work for one another, we are miles off at this stage going by our last 6-8 games, and players willing to take the game on.

Twodogs
20-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Overall our intensity and work rate and helping each other out, the rest will pretty much take care of itself, just watching the way Sydney work for one another, we are miles off at this stage going by our last 6-8 games, and players willing to take the game on.

It was blatantly obvious in the Sydney game how far away we were. They gave us a lesson in how to play the game..

That is apart from their bonus players obviously.