PDA

View Full Version : Matt Priddis wins Brownlow

1eyedog
23-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Wow, decent player and all and certainly an upgrade on the Woewodin win but big shock to me. He certainly was the quite achiever wasn't he. Fyfe nearly did a Chris Grant and Selwood nowhere to be seen :confused:

bornadog
23-09-2014, 12:22 AM
Wow, decent player and all and certainly an upgrade on the Woewodin win but big shock to me. He certainly was the quite achiever wasn't he. Fyfe nearly did a Chris Grant and Selwood nowhere to be seen :confused:

Selwood 21 votes so right up there. Priddis had all the leading stats for the year with more disposals than anyone and right up there with his clearances as well. Nice bloke too, and very humble.

boydogs
23-09-2014, 12:57 AM
Selwood 21 votes so right up there. Priddis had all the leading stats for the year with more disposals than anyone and right up there with his clearances as well. Nice bloke too, and very humble.

Poor man's Libba :D

Greystache
23-09-2014, 01:12 AM
My overriding response is meh!

Remi Moses
23-09-2014, 01:16 AM
Great result for the blue collar heavy lifter footballer.
He's carried that midfield for an eternity. Pleasing result

Twodogs
23-09-2014, 02:48 AM
Priddis has been a gun for years.

chef
23-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Great effort. So glad Selwood didn't win it.

The Underdog
23-09-2014, 08:10 AM
I've never really understood why we put so much stock in an award voted on by people who we don't even trust to do their actual job properly each week.
Congrats to Priddis though.

Hot_Doggies
23-09-2014, 08:13 AM

Woewodin was a good footballer who had 2 very good years. Bit harsh when people pot him.

1eyedog
23-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Woewodin was a good footballer who had 2 very good years. Bit harsh when people pot him.

Oh I wasn't really potting him - he was a good footballer but pretty much every other player I can think of who has won the award was better.

I'm thinking of Priddis as our Scott West. I think I undersold him. Good win for a 29 year old.

LostDoggy
23-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Deserving winner. Seems to be controversy every year, part and parcel of the Brownlow. Can count on him week in week out to do everything within his powers to help his side win.

bornadog
23-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Brownlow votes

Jack Macrae 10
Adam Cooney 7
Matthew Boyd, Ryan Griffen, Tom Liberatore 5
Marcus Bontempelli, Stewart Crameri 4
Luke Dahlhaus 3
Shaun Higgins, Nathan Hrovat, *Liam Jones 2
Will Minson 1

bulldogsthru&thru
23-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Brownlow votes

Jack Macrae 10
Adam Cooney 7
Matthew Boyd, Ryan Griffen, Tom Liberatore 5
Marcus Bontempelli, Stewart Crameri 4
Luke Dahlhaus 3
Shaun Higgins, Nathan Hrovat, *Liam Jones 2
Will Minson 1

10 votes and our top vote getter in his 2nd year. This kid will be something alright!

Also Bonts getting 4 votes in his first year is a good sign, considering we didnt get too many votes as a club

bulldogtragic
23-09-2014, 09:55 AM
10 votes and our top vote getter in his 2nd year. This kid will be something alright!

Also Bonts getting 4 votes in his first year is a good sign, considering we didnt get too many votes as a club

Yes, but the winner got 26 votes. Expected or otherwise, a poor showing this count.

LostDoggy
23-09-2014, 10:10 AM
50 votes out of 132, sounds about right, matches up pretty well with our Win/Loss.

Flamethrower
23-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Well done Matt. Very underrated here in Victoria.

Good to see the Bont leading all rising star nominees too. Further proof that Taylor's win was politically motivated.

Murphy'sLore
23-09-2014, 10:36 AM
I know it's a farce, but the guy who 'won' Goal of the Year looked almost embarrassed. Everyone in the room knew that award should have gone to Our Bonti.

Bulldog Revolution
23-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Great effort. So glad Selwood didn't win it.

Here, here!

AndrewP6
23-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Congrats to Priddis, seems a very humble bloke. Some need to be a bit more gracious, IMO. The guy is now in elite company.

Greystache
23-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Congrats to Priddis, seems a very humble bloke. Some need to be a bit more gracious, IMO. The guy is now in elite company.

He is in elite company now, yet if you had free rein to recruit the best 20 players in the AFL to build a start up team to play tomorrow I doubt anyone would choose him.

Remi Moses
23-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Makes a mockery that he couldn't get in the best under 23 team!
Same with Wines

Greystache
23-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Makes a mockery that he couldn't get in the best under 23 team!
Same with Wines

Who?

Remi Moses
23-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Macrae.

Happy Days
23-09-2014, 03:59 PM
This is just another reminder to take the Brownlow for what it is.

craigsahibee
23-09-2014, 04:23 PM
50 votes out of 132, sounds about right, matches up pretty well with our Win/Loss.

The Brownlow votes by Club ladder was almost identical to the AFL ladder at the conclusion of Round 23

chef
23-09-2014, 05:25 PM

Yep. It's an event more than award IMO. Like the Rising star award it's not voted by experts or peers(it's ridiculous that the officiating umpires still cast the votes) and is really just a bit of fluff at the end of the season.

The MVP should hold a hell of a lot more weight than the Brownlow.

Bulldog Joe
23-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Yep. It's an event more than award IMO. Like the Rising star award it's not voted by experts or peers(it's ridiculous that the officiating umpires still cast the votes) and is really just a bit of fluff at the end of the season.

The MVP should hold a hell of a lot more weight than the Brownlow.

I would suggest that the umpires have at least as much idea as any of the journalists who vote on various things.

The whole awards are pretty well covered overall.

We have the players voting for the MVP.

We have the coaches award.

We have the umpires award (Brownlow)

and a variety of media awards.

That the Brownlow is still treated as the most prestigious probably suggests we should not tamper with it.

LostDoggy
23-09-2014, 06:28 PM
I would suggest that the umpires have at least as much idea as any of the journalists who vote on various things.

That the Brownlow is still treated as the most prestigious probably suggests we should not tamper with it.

I agree with this, umpires are 'in theory' the most impartial observers of the game. They have the best view of the game and cast votes directly after the game, without hearing fanfare or otherwise. Many a club b & f goes to a player who isn't necessarily the best. Consistency, luck with injuries, etc are major contributing factors.

If any or all of Buddy, Gazza or Fyfe did not miss games through being rested, injured or suspensed they may well have polled the most votes and then we all would be saying the umps got it right.

bornadog
23-09-2014, 06:40 PM

I agree with this, umpires are 'in theory' the most impartial observers of the game. They have the best view of the game and cast votes directly after the game, without hearing fanfare or otherwise. Many a club b & f goes to a player who isn't necessarily the best. Consistency, luck with injuries, etc are major contributing factors.

If any or all of Buddy, Gazza or Fyfe did not miss games through being rested, injured or suspended they may well have polled the most votes and then we all would be saying the umps got it right.

One word says it all - Tradition

Scorlibo
28-09-2014, 02:53 PM

Yes: impartial and interesting. I couldn't care less for a consensus award like the Players MVP. Most players confess that they barely watch games apart from their own. Maybe if they voted on each game it would be interesting, but as it stands it just reflects media discussion that the players hear. The umps get it wrong regularly on a game by game basis, but the accumulative effect of the season has to carry some weight. When a guy like Priddis wins I think it is brilliant for the game, it makes people reassess their values. It's so incredibly boring when the favourite wins, not just because you expect it, but because you expect to learn something from the process they go through. I don't watch every game, so I'm interested to see the count and to see an unbiased interpretation of the best player in the game.