PDA

View Full Version : When we make the Grand Final

The bulldog tragician
25-09-2014, 08:06 PM
It's a hard time of year for us, watching (yet again) a Grand Final week that we're not part of. Here's a daydream, perhaps a tad optimistic - but you never know - of what That Day could be like:

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/bulldogs-fans-can-only-dream-of-tomozz/

What do other Woofers think it might be like?

LostDoggy
25-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Man that brings a tear to the eye, so beautifully written, one day ��

Daughter of the West
25-09-2014, 10:36 PM
But you didn't tell us how much we win by! Is it a complete drubbing of fantastic plastic GWS by 12 goals or a Fletcher Roberts v Richmond reserves style goal after the siren from 60m out?

That was absolutely beautiful Bulldog Tragician. It captured all I could hope for an more.

I do know one thing though. The celebrations after would be AMAZING and I would probably be found in a gutter on Barkly Street on Thursday morning not able to tell you what happened the past few days, but clutching my scarf for dear life and singing Sons of the West as loudly as my croaky, parched throat will allow!

Max469
25-09-2014, 11:36 PM
But you didn't tell us how much we win by! Is it a complete drubbing of fantastic plastic GWS by 12 goals or a Fletcher Roberts v Richmond reserves style goal after the siren from 60m out?

That was absolutely beautiful Bulldog Tragician. It captured all I could hope for an more.

I do know one thing though. The celebrations after would be AMAZING and I would probably be found in a gutter on Barkly Street on Thursday morning not able to tell you what happened the past few days, but clutching my scarf for dear life and singing Sons of the West as loudly as my croaky, parched throat will allow!

I think you will lots of good company. I have had my spot picked out for years.

Remi Moses
25-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Certainly more of a " story " for the media when we get there.
Unlike this ho hum Hawthorn Sydney same old same old .
If it wasn't for the Buddy story the non Participating supporter base would be asleep.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2014, 12:00 AM

My nan was telling me about GF day 1954 on the weekend. Her and her date (my grand father) lined up for tickets but got turned away just before the gate closed. They listened to on the wireless down at Willi and went down to Barkly Street after the final siren. What she described was unorganised alcohol fuelled mayhem underpinned by mutual bonds of pure excitement that went well into the next day, much like you describe. Sounded like a riot, literally, but in a good way. I so hope to have a chance to live that out with you and every other success starved tragic, and try to sneak Westdog54 and Peter Street (et al) a few sneaky beers.

The bulldog tragician
26-09-2014, 12:21 AM

You won't be alone in that gutter.

To be honest although I've dreamt of that day unfolding like this I almost can't see beyond the moment I describe...the anthem, our team lining up, the tears of us all.

But if it's a Fletcher Roberts scenario I'm pretty sure I will have been carted off in the MICA ambulance.

Remi Moses
26-09-2014, 01:23 AM
I don't know how others feel, but I'd take it all in on the Saturday night.
The next day however...
Leave without pay from work might need to be arranged also, regardless of result .

Remi Moses
26-09-2014, 01:28 AM
You won't be alone in that gutter.

To be honest although I've dreamt of that day unfolding like this I almost can't see beyond the moment I describe...the anthem, our team lining up, the tears of us all.

But if it's a Fletcher Roberts scenario I'm pretty sure I will have been carted off in the MICA ambulance.

I hope there are plenty defribillators at the ready if we win

westdog54
26-09-2014, 09:07 AM
My nan was telling me about GF day 1954 on the weekend. Her and her date (my grand father) lined up for tickets but got turned away just before the gate closed. They listened to on the wireless down at Willi and went down to Barkly Street after the final siren. What she described was unorganised alcohol fuelled mayhem underpinned by mutual bonds of pure excitement that went well into the next day, much like you describe. Sounded like a riot, literally, but in a good way. I so hope to have a chance to live that out with you and every other success starved tragic, and try to sneak Westdog54 and Peter Street (et al) a few sneaky beers.

I can assure you that there is no way on God's or any other earth of me doing anything remotely close to working when that weekend comes.

bornadog
26-09-2014, 09:14 AM
I can assure you that there is no way on God's or any other earth of me doing anything remotely close to working when that weekend comes.

Yeah, I will take the whole week off from the prelim to the big day, and if we win, the whole of the next week as well.:)

Murphy'sLore
26-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Wonderful stuff, BT. Though when I imagine the big day, I'm sure I'll be feeling too sick with nerves to watch a second of the game.

But the replay of our victory will be a different story :)

always right
26-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Great article.

As each year passes without a premiership, the millstone gets heavier. The day we are fortunate enough to make a grand final, the pressure on the blokes representing our club on that day will be overwhelming. They will have the chance to become lifelong heroes.

craigsahibee
26-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately, this is some of the greatest fiction that I have ever read. :(

always right
26-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Killjoy

bulldogtragic
26-09-2014, 12:55 PM

Voluntary duties at the footy while on leave WD54. Otherwise known as a free Grand Final ticket.

LostDoggy
26-09-2014, 01:04 PM
This left me in tears. Scared to see how I'll cope when it actually eventuates.

westdog54
03-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Voluntary duties at the footy while on leave WD54. Otherwise known as a free Grand Final ticket.

No way. Knowing my luck a fight will break out at the 28 minute Mark and I'll have to actually do some work.

I've vowed never to work a dogs game.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2014, 09:09 PM
No way. Knowing my luck a fight will break out at the 28 minute Mark and I'll have to actually do some work.

Yep. Doing work sucks.

Max469
08-10-2017, 02:30 PM
3 years on from this original thread and 12 months on from when we actually did it - did your idea of what you would do and what you actually did -change?

Mine did, always said you would find me in a gutter in Barkly St - didn't happen - 3 pubs and lots of singing the song did though.

Can't wait to do it all again soon.

Remi Moses
08-10-2017, 02:35 PM

Oh dear

Remi Moses
08-10-2017, 02:36 PM
It was pretty surreal to be honest .
Don't think it sunk in until Xmas

Remi Moses
08-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Funny thing after the GF we were drinking at the savoy in the city ( funnily enough is going to be replaced by apartments )
Got talking to a tiger fan who was at the game( in his mid 30's) was adamant they were never going to win a flag in his lifetime .
I thought of him last Saturday and the joy it brings longtime traumatised fans .

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
08-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Got the tattoo

bornadog
08-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Prelim week to Grand Final did very little work, as predicted, but didn't take the week off after the win. However, a bit like the club didn't move on quick enough in 2017.

Eastdog
08-10-2017, 09:08 PM
The best ever in my time as a Doggies supporter. Pretty much did it all.

Thursday - I went to the Whitten Oval for the traditional Grand Final training session 10,000 strong crowd in attendance.

Friday - I went to the Grand Final Parade.

Saturday - I went to the Grand Final itself at the home of footy the MCG - great to experience that sat up in Level 4 Olympic Stand close to the front.

Sunday - Went to the Whitten Oval celebrating along with 30,000 fellow Doggies supporters.

EasternWest
09-10-2017, 02:03 PM
The best ever in my time as a Doggies supporter. Pretty much did it all.

Thursday - I went to the Whitten Oval for the traditional Grand Final training session 10,000 strong crowd in attendance.

Friday - I went to the Grand Final Parade.

Saturday - I went to the Grand Final itself at the home of footy the MCG - great to experience that sat up in Level 4 Olympic Stand close to the front.

Sunday - Went to the Whitten Oval celebrating along with 30,000 fellow Doggies supporters.

Solid work Eastie. I just couldn't make it to Sunday. The petrol tank in my chest was empty.

dadsgirl16
09-10-2017, 02:08 PM
I always said I would get a tattoo...wimped it so far
maybe for the 2018 premiership

Murphy'sLore
09-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Promised the kids we'd paint the car red, white and blue. Haven't quite got round to that either!

angelopetraglia
09-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Wow. What a week!

-Flew the family up to the prelim. Best weekend ever.
-Watched every minute of every footy show Monday
-Read every single football article all week
-Went to Training Thursday
-Went to the Parade Friday. That was a huge highlight.
-Went to the game on Saturday. Stayed for the MCG party.
-Went into the city, celebrated with my brother and friends. Didn't go nearly as hard as I thought I would.
-Got home a 1am. Watched the replay in its entirety. Went to bed around 3am.
-Up early and took the family out to Whitten Oval.
-New best weekend ever.

Twodogs
09-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Looking back I think that apart from the game the celebration at Whitten Oval on the Sunday was the highlight of the week. So very many happy bulldog supporters descending on Whitten oval at once was quite a sight. To see them all in one place at one time acclaim the cup with that mighty roar was one of the highlights of my life.

Then the party spilled out into Barkly street. I've lived around Barkly street most of my life and I've seen it choked with traffic and everyone blowing their car horns a lot of times. I've never seen all the drivers with huge smiles high fiving people in the other cars before though.

Max469
09-10-2017, 08:01 PM

me too. one day very soon after the next one

EasternWest
09-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Save it for the three peat!

Max469
09-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Save it for the three peat!

That sounds like a great plan

KT31
09-10-2017, 10:19 PM

Hope you don't use the same tattooist as your avatar.;)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-10-2017, 04:05 PM
A bit obscure but I was going to smash some crockery like the ending of Ripping Yarns' Golden Gordon. Barnstoneworth United always reminded me of Footscray

Twodogs
10-10-2017, 09:27 PM

A bit obscure but I was going to smash some crockery like the ending of Ripping Yarns' Golden Gordon. Barnstoneworth United always reminded me of Footscray

Poor old Gordon Otthershaw. I know how he felt when he said he was thinking of giving up football for a bit.

8-1, 8 bloody 1! And three of those were from back passes to the goalkeeper!