PDA

View Full Version : 2014 AFL Grand Final Thread

Eastdog
26-09-2014, 05:03 PM
The last day in September is upon us. This is for all discussion about the Grand Final. Gee I hope I'm making a GF thread soon with us being one of the participating teams.

bornadog
27-09-2014, 12:56 PM
When you see Lake or any other ex Bulldog on the field, what do you feel? Do you wish then well, or do you want them to play badly?

Personally, I hope Tippet kicks 10 goals on Lake. :D

chef
27-09-2014, 01:13 PM
When you see Lake or any other ex Bulldog on the field, what do you feel? Do you wish then well, or do you want them to play badly?

I feel a bit jealous and a bit glad that they could get to do what they never got to with us.

Hope Lakey gets another Norm. Will always be a Bulldog great to me.

Twodogs
27-09-2014, 01:32 PM
I feel a bit jealous and a bit glad that they could get to do what they never got to with us.

Hope Lakey gets another Norm. Will always be a Bulldog great to me.

Yep jealous is the correct emotion. Not in a "I hope you lose" way but more in a "I wish we were there too" way.

lemmon
27-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Had a Hawthorn supporting mate going obnoxiously ape at every mark he took last year. Safe to say I'll be doing the same for every one Tippet and Buddy kick on Brian this year.

bornadog
27-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Had a Hawthorn supporting mate going obnoxiously ape at every mark he took last year. Safe to say I'll be doing the same for every one Tippet and Buddy kick on Brian this year.

Last year I was overseas when the Grand Final was on and my Hawthorn mate sends me a text "I Love you Lakey". At the time I didn't know he had won the Norm Smith.

This of course made me more angry about him leaving.

DOG GOD
27-09-2014, 02:22 PM
I hate (dislike) both teams....Syd buying Tippett and buddy, Hawks with lake, but today, I'm hoping lake gives buddy a free in the dying seconds and he slots a goal from the boundary on his wrong side after the siren to sink the Hawks...��

chef
27-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Harold Bishop tossing the coin.

bornadog
27-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Anyone read Buddies lips to Lake.... called him a F... C....

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Dog act by Lake on Franklin. Weak prick!

lemmon
27-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Hawks outworking them here, Sydney are rattled

chef
27-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Lakey made him earn it, great stuff.

whythelongface
27-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Hawthorn looking bloody good but are they going to rue these missed chances?

chef
27-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Anyone read Buddies lips to Lake.... called him a F... C....

Classy Buddy

whythelongface
27-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Geez that Will Langford is some player.

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Classy Buddy

Hang on. You applaud an elbow in the back of the head but condem a couple of swear words in retaliation?

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Swans getting completely torn apart. This one is over

whythelongface
27-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Swans getting completely torn apart. This one is over

Appears to be that way. Great to watch.

chef
27-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Hang on. You applaud an elbow in the back of the head but condem a couple of swear words in retaliation?

Something FBs have been doing for a century, yet you call him a weak prick.

whythelongface
27-09-2014, 04:23 PM
I certainly didn't see this coming. Wow.

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Appears to be that way. Great to watch.

Sydney haven't matched the Hawks intensity. Hawks playing like every contest is their last, Sydney look like they're having a kick around on a Saturday afternoon.

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Something FBs have been doing for a century, yet you call him a weak prick.

That kind of stuff got phased out long ago. It's weak, real weak.

chef
27-09-2014, 04:26 PM
That kind of stuff got phased out long ago. It's weak, real weak.

Still happens every week.

Twodogs
27-09-2014, 04:26 PM
I don't think Sydney can come back from here.

chef
27-09-2014, 04:28 PM

Loving watching them get spanked

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Still happens every week.

Rubbish it does. There is making them earn them then there is what Brian Lake did. I'd be very surprised he escaped suspension.

Twodogs
27-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Kingston Town can't win from here.

LostDoggy
27-09-2014, 04:30 PM

They were out to 5.50 they will come back hard. Hawks will tire after last week.

Twodogs
27-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Loving watching them get spanked

It sure is fun..

chef
27-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Rubbish it does. There is making them earn them then there is what Brian Lake did. I'd be very surprised he escaped suspension.
I guess we'll see buddy.

LostDoggy
27-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Kingston Town can't win from here.

All the money late for Swans I'm on. Back to 3.00. Hawks will stop as if shot.

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 04:33 PM
They were out to 5.50 they will come back hard. Hawks will tire after last week.

They're tiring a bit now. Hawks have a massive head start though. Get it under 30 before half time then maybe. Swans have lifted, Goodes a stand out in the last 10 minutes.

whythelongface
27-09-2014, 04:36 PM
All the money late for Swans I'm on. Back to 3.00. Hawks will stop as if shot.

Keep your money. Swans can't win.

LostDoggy
27-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Keep your money. Swans can't win.

Already on. Still can get 5.50. 7 goals is nothing in this day and age. It's only half time. Long break and fully expecting them to come hard.

Twodogs
27-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Already on. Still can get 5.50. 7 goals is nothing in this day and age. It's only half time. Long break and fully expecting them to come hard.

I think Hawthorn still need another 5 goals to win the game. I don't think Sydney's defence can hold them though.

whythelongface
27-09-2014, 05:07 PM

Good luck. Swans will come back but that is a significant margin in a GF.

whythelongface
27-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Game over. 55 points no way back.

lemmon
27-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Going down without firing a shot, embarrassing day

bulldogtragic
27-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Done. All over.

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Was hoping for a closer game. Might pick up where I left off last night with the VFL grand final or even a nanna nap.

LostDoggy
27-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Betting suspended. Well see.

LostDoggy
27-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Betting re-opened the TAB makes me laugh.

Webby
27-09-2014, 05:23 PM
At least Lakey's not Norm Smith... Only consolation I can offer!

LostDoggy
27-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Now it's over.

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Now it's over.

Yep. Hawks have answered every challenge. Swans back to a 55 point hole again.

LostDoggy
27-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Yep. Hawks have answered every challenge. Swans back to a 55 point hole again.

26 inside 50 swans.

Hawks have been immense.

ReLoad
27-09-2014, 05:35 PM
what a lame GF. hasn't been a great game to watch.

always right
27-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Hawks by far the better team but everything has gone their way.

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 05:38 PM
what a lame GF. hasn't been a great game to watch.

Ive enjoyed it. I don't like Hawthorn but I can't help but be in awe of them on GF day. They are ferocious today and their attack on the footy and their pressure on opposition has been good to watch.

jeemak
27-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Sydney have been too loose, and Hawks are too clean for that.

While the Hawks have been good, Sydney have been very ordinary and extremely disappointing.

chef
27-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Ive enjoyed it. I don't like Hawthorn but I can't help but be in awe of them on GF day. They are ferocious today and their attack on the footy and their pressure on opposition has been good to watch.

Yep. Same here

ReLoad
27-09-2014, 05:50 PM

maybe its the fact that they are the team with the biggest silver spoon in their mouth, look at most of their squad, they have ripped out the right people from clubs to form their team.

Fantastic in their execution sure, but not something which I aspire to or want to believe in.

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 05:52 PM
maybe its the fact that they are the team with the biggest silver spoon in their mouth, look at most of their squad, they have ripped out the right people from clubs to form their team.

Fantastic in their execution sure, but not something which I aspire to or want to believe in.

Completely understand mate. :)

LostDoggy
27-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Hodge for Norm Smith.

Eastdog
27-09-2014, 05:56 PM
For neutral supporters like ourselves it hasn't been a great Grand Final. Hawthorn have come out all conquering today and Sydney could not keep up with it which surprised me. Could it be that Sydney don't play as often at the G compared to Hawthorn giving them an advantage there or is that just an excuse. I hope we play a bit more when we do come good at the MCG.

G-Mo77
27-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Hodge for Norm Smith.

Lewis, Mitchell and even Langford would all be a good chance as well.

always right
27-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Lucky it's been one sided as it's been one of the poorer umpiring performances in a grand final I can recall. Normally I don't even notice them.

Hotdog60
27-09-2014, 06:31 PM
I nearly nodded off in the last quarter.

Eastdog
27-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Overall what did other woofers think of the GF?

Me: very one sided and not good for the neutrals.

always right
27-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Expected a classic.....got a fizzer.

ledge
27-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Swans were second to the ball all day and chasing, didn't even get one quarter their way which is strange for any game of footy.
The bounce and everything went against them today but hawks would have won anyway, way to good.

jeemak
27-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Disappointing ED.

Thought the Sydney engine room was pathetic in the second when they really needed to be more accountable and lock the game down. Poor leadership for mine.

whythelongface
27-09-2014, 07:44 PM

Agree. Whilst it wasn't a great spectacle in terms of closeness of the game it certainly was in regards to watching a class team who are just absolutely dominant. That was probably the best a team has played in a GF against quality opposition.

whythelongface
27-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Just thinking how good would it be to have your team lead so comprehensively, early in the 4th quarter, that you could relax and just enjoy the last quarter knowing that your team was going to win the flag. Oh how I dream that our team could be in such a position one day. We could sing and dance and be merry whilst watching Stringer kick his 6th goal.

Dry Rot
27-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Just finished watching the GF on delay. Why was Reid a late withdrawal today? Injury from last week?

Webby
27-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Told my 4yo, it's just a consolation prize..., Doggies smashed the Hawks last weekend.

Remi Moses
27-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Sydney played like they did early doors in the season .
Hawthorns leaders were immense, and Sydney's were atrocious .
I couldn't care less about Lake to be honest, I'm more concerned at out our club improving .

Remi Moses
27-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Just finished watching the GF on delay. Why was Reid a late withdrawal today? Injury from last week?

Reid played . Looked injured, but Sydney's Mids got obliterated .

azabob
27-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Great day, Great year - what an amazing effort by the Hawthorn Football Club.

All the obstacles they over come, they are deserved premiers.

To come out and dominate Sydney the way they did is great for football.

Did Sydney think that Franklin would win it for them?

jeemak
27-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Az I thought from the stands that Franklin worked really hard all day and was gallant in defeat against the odds. With a bit more supply he really could have gotten hold of the game and dominated, though it wasn't often that he had a clear run at it and the Hawks did well to work back on him and Tippett (who was really ordinary at the end of the day).

I agree with you that Hawthorn should view this season as a massive achievement and deserve all kudos that comes their way. They were so bloody clean today when given a bit of space, Sydney were baffling in their approach to the contested areas. I can't believe how loose they were.

Sydney would be bitterly disappointed with that display, as they should be. Their performance reminded me of the tripe we served up in the QF of 2008 (include the first 45 minutes of the QF in 2009 as well), the elimination final of 1995 and the preliminary final of 1998. Just totally outworked and outclassed, with a performance that was out of character and embarrassing.

Twodogs
27-09-2014, 08:47 PM
You can throw the 1985 Qualifying Final against Hawthorn onto that list Jeemak. They were awesome that day.

It was like we poked a feral cat with a stck.

LostDoggy
27-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Just thinking how good would it be to have your team lead so comprehensively, early in the 4th quarter, that you could relax and just enjoy the last quarter knowing that your team was going to win the flag. Oh how I dream that our team could be in such a position one day. We could sing and dance and be merry whilst watching Stringer kick his 6th goal.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. How sweet it would be to be in that position. On the other hand, the dogs in a swans/west coast one pointer type GF would, quite literally, probably kill me.

At least for swans fans they've got a recent premiership under their belt.

The bulldog tragician
27-09-2014, 09:15 PM
I felt quite overwhelmed watching the Hawks, at how far we have to go. The skills, the hardness, the right blend of attack and defence. There wasn't any area of the game where we aren't comprehensively behind them, and this was against the 2nd best team.

A lot of hard work ahead of us in every way.

bulldogtragic
27-09-2014, 09:34 PM
I felt quite overwhelmed watching the Hawks, at how far we have to go. The skills, the hardness, the right blend of attack and defence. There wasn't any area of the game where we aren't comprehensively behind them, and this was against the 2nd best team.

I said this to the Mrs today. I think my words were "we are so far behind either side that I don't see how we get to this level".

I would love a midfield and forward and back flankers that actually hit targets nearly always by foot. And tall defenders that shut down and forwards that kick straight. After today, I'm concerned we are much further back than I thought up until about 2.30 today.

jeemak
27-09-2014, 09:52 PM
The actual difference seems a lot greater than it is. Hawthorn are a perfect storm of maturity, management, coaching and talent combined.

The major gap is developed talent and structure. I'm more worried about the latter than the former as I think in a few years we won't have to worry about certain aspects of the former (our kids are seriously shit hot - I think as good as any group in the game over a number of years).

Dry Rot
27-09-2014, 10:29 PM
I would love a midfield and forward and back flankers that actually hit targets nearly always by foot.

This.

Today the Swans had the best 3 tall forward line in the comp, but all the guys further back up the field were pressured and started to bomb it in forward just like we do, and the fancy Swans tall forwards were not much more effective than our forward line.

Sure from now on, we must only draft or trade in players with good foot skills.

SquirrelGrip
27-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Getting fed up with the booing Hawthorn supporters of Franklin & Goodes even when they were 10 goals up. Post match they're still going on about how they also beat COLA.

But seriously, how does one team pick out the eyes of other clubs in the como and snare Burgoyne, Hale, Lake, Gunston, Gibson, and McEvoy. Most of those guys are paid under what they'd get elsewhere. What gives?

Webby
27-09-2014, 11:39 PM
You can throw the 1985 Qualifying Final against Hawthorn onto that list Jeemak. They were awesome that day.

It was like we poked a feral cat with a stck.

One Plough Wallace: standout BOG.

jeemak
28-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Getting fed up with the booing Hawthorn supporters of Franklin & Goodes even when they were 10 goals up. Post match they're still going on about how they also beat COLA.

But seriously, how does one team pick out the eyes of other clubs in the como and snare Burgoyne, Hale, Lake, Gunston, Gibson, and McEvoy. Most of those guys are paid under what they'd get elsewhere. What gives?

I think it's their role players who pick up the salary cap slack. Most of them are quite young and a year or two away from being in a position to stretch the club contractually.

Oh, and I asked the Hawks supporters in front of me that weren't "booing" Goodes, and apparently they were saying "Goooodes" and it wasn't the Hawks supporters doing it.

Buddy was being booed.

Twodogs
28-09-2014, 12:22 AM
One Plough Wallace: standout BOG.

Yep.

A few weeks before when we beat the Hawks at Western Oval Plough lost a vital contest right at the end which was Hawthorns last chance to win the game. He was cut, really cut. The umpire pays holding the ball against him when he'd actually been pushed in the back by 3 different Footscray players. He lays with his face down for a while and looks up with tears of frustration rolling down his cheeks that are clearly visible despite the driving rain.

I bet it felt good putting us to the sword in a final. Funny how things work out.

KT31
28-09-2014, 12:25 AM
I just got in anbd have not read any previous posts, but for mine what won it for the Hawks was the silky skills and the brilliant handball under pressure.
Would really love us to be able to hit a target as well as they do, maybe instead of players we look at poaching their recruiting staff.

bornadog
28-09-2014, 01:09 AM
I just got in anbd have not read any previous posts, but for mine what won it for the Hawks was the silky skills and the brilliant handball under pressure.
Would really love us to be able to hit a target as well as they do, maybe instead of players we look at poaching their recruiting staff.

Too late Pelchan is now with the Saints.

jeemak
28-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Yep.

A few weeks before when we beat the Hawks at Western Oval Plough lost a vital contest right at the end which was Hawthorns last chance to win the game. He was cut, really cut. The umpire pays holding the ball against him when he'd actually been pushed in the back by 3 different Footscray players. He lays with his face down for a while and looks up with tears of frustration rolling down his cheeks that are clearly visible despite the driving rain.

I bet it felt good putting us to the sword in a final. Funny how things work out.

Plough was no soft cock or fool (which some people who didn't see him play would these days think of him - not you or anyone here).

Tough as nails, multiple premiership player and all round hard *!*!*!*!.

Sedat
28-09-2014, 01:23 AM

That was my sobering impression of today's awesome performance by Hawthorn. We are still so far off the pace.

The key stat for me was uncontested possessions - Hawthorn absolutely annihilated Sydney on the outside today. While everyone else was obsessed with CP's and loading up on inside mids, Clarkson and his recruiters were loading up on outside speed machines like Hill and Smith. Hawthorn under Clarko have won 3 flags in 7 years and the gameplan has changed multiple times - he is always setting the trends, not following others.

Brilliant coach and brilliant team.

Remi Moses
28-09-2014, 01:30 AM
They had a pace issue and outside run in about 2010.
They addressed it with Brad Hill Smith and puopolo.

Greystache
28-09-2014, 02:05 AM
I think it's their role players who pick up the salary cap slack. Most of them are quite young and a year or two away from being in a position to stretch the club contractually.

Oh, and I asked the Hawks supporters in front of me that weren't "booing" Goodes, and apparently they were saying "Goooodes" and it wasn't the Hawks supporters doing it.

Buddy was being booed.

You mean like Mitchell getting $450k to play reserves, or like Reid on $600k to be their 4th forward. Make no mistake every Sydney player is getting more to play their role than any other club could afford to pay them to be first choice at their club. Kennedy and McGlynn aren't their for the love either. I was talking to a forensic accountant today, if the AFL ever got an independent audit Sydney would be paying up to $11m a season.

jeemak
28-09-2014, 03:52 AM
You mean like Mitchell getting $450k to play reserves, or like Reid on $600k to be their 4th forward. Make no mistake every Sydney player is getting more to play their role than any other club could afford to pay them to be first choice at their club. Kennedy and McGlynn aren't their for the love either. I was talking to a forensic accountant today, if the AFL ever got an independent audit Sydney would be paying up to $11m a season.

Que?

In my post I was talking about Hawks players not topping the salary cap. Not Sydney players (and their obvious concessions).

SquirrelGrip
28-09-2014, 07:33 AM

Buddy was being booed.

I'll accept what you're saying about Gooooodes (although it didn't sound that way from where I was sitting).

As for Hawthorn and the salary cap, then surely there are players ripe for the picking from them.

whythelongface
28-09-2014, 08:48 AM
This.

Today the Swans had the best 3 tall forward line in the comp, but all the guys further back up the field were pressured and started to bomb it in forward just like we do, and the fancy Swans tall forwards were not much more effective than our forward line.

Sure from now on, we must only draft or trade in players with good foot skills.

Agree (change good to elite). But didn't Christian Howard have good foot skills. Just saying.

whythelongface
28-09-2014, 08:51 AM
That was my sobering impression of today's awesome performance by Hawthorn. We are still so far off the pace.

The key stat for me was uncontested possessions - Hawthorn absolutely annihilated Sydney on the outside today. While everyone else was obsessed with CP's and loading up on inside mids, Clarkson and his recruiters were loading up on outside speed machines like Hill and Smith. Hawthorn under Clarko have won 3 flags in 7 years and the gameplan has changed multiple times - he is always setting the trends, not following others.

Brilliant coach and brilliant team.

I do enjoy watching Hawthorn play when they are on song. I actually prefer watching them this year, without Buddy, as it really looks like a more team effort. As you have acknowledged Brilliant coach and team. I hate them but my admiration for them is on a very high level (same goes for the Geelong team from 07-12).

As for Bradley Hill - love watching his pace and skill. Wish we had a player like Hill.

Hotdog60
28-09-2014, 08:58 AM
I only saw the grand final after half time. How did Tutt go in the sprint?

bornadog
28-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Didn't make the final.

Greystache
28-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Only jogged at about half pace. He looked injured, not sure why he was in it.

boydogs
28-09-2014, 01:14 PM
But didn't Christian Howard have good foot skills. Just saying.

As did Jason Tutt, just not the composure to use them

Twodogs
28-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Didn't make the final.

Was there a Preliminary Final? Did he lead by 15 metres only to trip over Ian Collins who'd taken a wrong turn crawling to the bar?

LostDoggy
28-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Was there a Preliminary Final? Did he lead by 15 metres only to trip over Ian Collins who'd taken a wrong turn crawling to the bar?

Didn't put a lot of effort in his heat. I think he was there for the free tickets.

azabob
28-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Too late Pelchan is now with the Saints.

Graham Wright is their head recruiter, before him was Garry Buckenahra(spelling). Pelchin was not a recruiter.

bornadog
28-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Graham Wright is their head recruiter, before him was Garry Buckenahra(spelling). Pelchin was not a recruiter.

ok, my mistake.

azabob
28-09-2014, 02:34 PM
ok, my mistake.

You should try and find Brereton comments on how Pelchin was a myth when Watters got sacked.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-09-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm still amazed at Sydney's lack of fight, a few days on.

Hawthorn were immense and they simply wanted it more, so they were prepared to work harder. Sounds simplistic but that's how it really came across watching on TV.

An embarrassing performance from Sydney.

jeemak
29-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I'll accept what you're saying about Gooooodes (although it didn't sound that way from where I was sitting).

As for Hawthorn and the salary cap, then surely there are players ripe for the picking from them.

Interesting take on Saturday's crowd behaviour.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/the-afl-has-a-racism-sexism-and-homophobia-problem-20140928-3gtt5.html

I was sceptical about the Goodes booing excuse provided by the Hawks supporters in front of me (though it must be said they weren't participating). Seems other areas of the crowd were behaving poorly.

bornadog
29-09-2014, 01:20 PM

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/the-afl-has-a-racism-sexism-and-homophobia-problem-20140928-3gtt5.html

I was sceptical about the Goodes booing excuse provided by the Hawks supporters in front of me (though it must be said they weren't participating). Seems other areas of the crowd were behaving poorly.

Disgraceful behaviour by bogans of this world. I just hope our supporters are not like this.

chef
29-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Disgraceful behaviour by bogans of this world. I just hope our supporters are not like this.
We gad a couple of instances like this this season at our games.

bornadog
29-09-2014, 01:44 PM
We gad a couple of instances like this this season at our games.

Yes a couple of people, however, the Hawks crowd was more on mass.

soupman
29-09-2014, 01:57 PM

It is a shame, I guess the combination of a high stakes match, a huge crowd to egg you on, an awesome performance from your side and alcohol can see some people let some of their nastier prejudices and opinions come out in poor fashion.

A sour note to look back on, although I doubt very much the Hawks supporters would be too concerned.

Not sure the following was needed though:

Before the game, a friend texted me a screenshot from Channel Seven's coverage, showing the commentators' predictions for the final score, with the caption "Who do the white men think will win?" Sure enough, all five predictions were from white men.
Not really relevant to the crowd behaviour and makes the article venture away from disappointing crowd behaviour and instead just sound preachy and overreactive.

If Australian Rules football is to continue to play a role in 21st century Australia, it needs to ditch the antiquated attitudes and reflect the diversity of this country – and indeed the game's fan base – and commit itself to doing better.
I think it is a bit harsh on the AFL overall though. As a league it has embraced diversity of cultures and races both on and off field for the most part, and while there are still minorities who attend that fail in this regard, I think they are as much a reflection of societies failings as the AFL's and as demonstrated throughout this year have often been called out on it and had it made clear that behaviour is unacceptable.

As for the Goodes booing, while not particularly nice he is a bit of an obvious target for it. I think many people, including myself*, dislike Goodes for a number of reasons that aren't racial, with many seeing him as a diver, as a protected species, as a "do gooder" and as an undeserving Australian of the Year. Also I think there is a large portion that now see him as a bully and a dobber for the way in which he handled the Collingwood incident last year.

If you want to see some real classy comments about that article though, venture over to BF. That thread is more persuasive than the article that there is something wrong.

*To clarify I do not hold all of the listed views, just the first two.

jeemak
29-09-2014, 02:13 PM
From my perspective I see a lot of the things the AFL does in terms of minority engagement as contrived tokenism. If there wasn't perceived commercial benefit in the things they do they wouldn't do them.

All it takes is for something like the Matt Rendell saga to demonstrate that the AFL is more concerned about image management than it is about material impacts it can make through managing their diversity programs properly.

azabob
29-09-2014, 02:32 PM
No charges to be layed or incidents to be investigated from the game.

Sedat
29-09-2014, 02:36 PM
I reckon paying fans have the right to boo whomever the hell they want to at the footy. So long as there are no racial, homophobic or sexist comments attributed to any one player, they are all fair game to be booed as fans see fit. I don't really get the Goodes booing myself, but if others don't like him for his incessant diving let them boo to their heart's content.

Sedat
29-09-2014, 02:38 PM
From my perspective I see a lot of the things the AFL does in terms of minority engagement as contrived tokenism. If there wasn't perceived commercial benefit in the things they do they wouldn't do them.

All it takes is for something like the Matt Rendell saga to demonstrate that the AFL is more concerned about image management than it is about material impacts it can make through managing their diversity programs properly.
Quoted for truth. The AFL do nothing that doesn't benefit their organisation - protecting the brand classifies as benefitting their organisation. How can you have an organisation so supposedly hell-bent on being against violence towards women, and then thoughtlessly have their headline act on GF day sing a song about domestic violence against a woman?

Greystache
29-09-2014, 02:42 PM
I reckon paying fans have the right to boo whomever the hell they want to at the footy. So long as there are no racial, homophobic or sexist comments attributed to any one player, they are all fair game to be booed as fans see fit. I don't really get the Goodes booing myself, but if others don't like him for his incessant diving let them boo to their heart's content.

Goodes gets booed for being a diving protected species and it's a national disgrace that highlights what a racist and prejudiced society Australia is.

Joel Selwood gets booed for being a diving protected species and it's just the consequences he has to live with due to the way he chooses to play the game.

That's how rational the people are that make a scene about Goodes being booed.

bornadog
29-09-2014, 02:43 PM

What I don't get is the booing itself. You are a Hawk fan, your team is thrashing the opposition and the only emotion you can show is booing.

Sedat
29-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Goodes gets booed for being a diving protected species and it's a national disgrace that highlights what a racist and prejudiced society Australia is.

Joel Selwood gets booed for being a diving protected species and it's just the consequences he has to live with due to the way he chooses to play the game.

That's how rational the people are that make a scene about Goodes being booed.
Very good comparison. Selwood is every bit a champion of the modern game as Goodes, and he is subjected to as much booing without any racial commentary associated with it. Goodes has form as a diver and clearly some fans don't like it.

jeemak
29-09-2014, 02:59 PM
For the record, I don't get the booing of Goodes but I don't really care about it.

Again for the record, I have very little doubt some of the people who have a problem with Goodes have one because they are racist and he is a successful Aboriginal sports person.

soupman
29-09-2014, 03:32 PM

All it takes is for something like the Matt Rendell saga to demonstrate that the AFL is more concerned about image management than it is about material impacts it can make through managing their diversity programs properly.'

Yep, the AFL itself is all about stage management.

However I think within the AFL there have been numerous positive contributions to diversity and embracing different cultures by all kinds of personnel, both acknowledged and not.

Again for the record, I have very little doubt some of the people who have a problem with Goodes have one because they are racist and he is a successful Aboriginal sports person.

Absolutely.

However the booing stems from him being a diver, protected species, and in many peoples eyes a bully, a dobber, an undeserving AOTY and a bit of a FIGJAM.

chef
29-09-2014, 04:45 PM
No charges to be layed or incidents to be investigated from the game.

Surprise surprise.

Remi Moses
29-09-2014, 06:06 PM
If I have to hear one more hawthorn whinge about nobody picked us, nobody respects us .
Two years back everyone picked Hawthorn, and Sydney saluted.
Why don't they just enjoy the win and stop moaning .

Remi Moses
29-09-2014, 06:07 PM
For the record, I don't get the booing of Goodes but I don't really care about it.

Exactly. Some people don't like an aboriginal person with an opinion IMHO

LostDoggy
29-09-2014, 07:27 PM
If they didn't boo the diver it would be racist!

Remi Moses
29-09-2014, 07:32 PM
If they didn't boo the diver it would be racist!

I'm not saying all people booing are bigoted, but I think there's a few though.

The bulldog tragician
29-09-2014, 07:47 PM
What I don't get is the booing itself. You are a Hawk fan, your team is thrashing the opposition and the only emotion you can show is booing.

I've never understood this aspect of crowd behaviour. One of the many ghastly memories of 97 is that Crows fans, instead of celebrating, took time to come up and jeer us as we left the ground literally shoving scarves in our faces. This included distraught crying children and my pregnant friend. There are some ugly people in footy and ugly reasons some fans are involved in the game.

GVGjr
29-09-2014, 07:50 PM

It's a juvenile act. I was told early on to never boo the opposition and I've pretty much stuck with that.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2014, 07:54 PM
It's a juvenile act. I was told early on to never boo the opposition and I've pretty much stuck with that.

Ditto. I don't do the Mexican wave, but that's more a personal lesson or philosophy I was taught. But I like a bronks cheer as an emotional expression as a collective of people's opinions about a sports persons of umpires output.

Greystache
29-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Exactly. Some people don't like an aboriginal person with an opinion IMHO

But Selwood is booed on merit purely because he's white? Makes no sense.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2014, 07:56 PM
But Selwood is booed on merit purely because he's white? Makes no sense.

Yep. Over analysis. The reverse... Do cheers of politicians in parliament come because of sporting attributes?

There is sport. There is opinion or politics. I don't see a cross over.

Flamethrower
29-09-2014, 08:11 PM
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/brereton-blasts-goodes-over-afl-incident-20130513-2jif6.html

Apparently this is the reason Hawthorn fans have booed Adam Goodes all year. They still believe that he tried to end Josh Gibson's career.

bornadog
30-09-2014, 11:43 AM

Erin has caused quiet a stir with her article:

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/sports-journalist-erin-riley-trolled-after-commenting-on-afl-grand-final-20140929-3gvs0.html

Some really uncouth twitter posts by Hawks supporters.

Twodogs
30-09-2014, 12:27 PM
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/brereton-blasts-goodes-over-afl-incident-20130513-2jif6.html

Apparently this is the reason Hawthorn fans have booed Adam Goodes all year. They still believe that he tried to end Josh Gibson's career.

I wonder what Dermie's opinion of Paul Dear is? Dear ended Peter Fosters career.

Twodogs
30-09-2014, 12:27 PM

I wonder what Dermie's opinion of Paul Dear is? Dear ended Peter Fosters career.