PDA

View Full Version : Eade's work in progress

GVGjr
04-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Eade's work in progress
(http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22696272%255E20322,00.html)
AVISIT to the construction site that is Whitten Oval provides ample opportunity for trite one-liners about the Dogs' annus horribilus.

Rodney Eade
Changes at the kennel: Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade with building works behind, is confident fans will see a different Bulldogs' team next year. Picture: Darren Tindale

A club with crumbling foundations. Another rebuild ahead.

A rubble-strewn mess or, as coach Rodney Eade says, a club and playing group that is slowly evolving.

The Dogs have been training in the shadows of the new Whitten Oval redevelopment since October 15, but the ghosts of last season linger.

The Dogs were not the only team to have Geelong lay wreckage to their season, but the Round 16 annihilation started the rot.

From that July 20 clash, they failed to win another game, then saw club stalwarts Chris Grant and Luke Darcy retire.

The prospective forward they spruiked in trade time didn't eventuate, then they lost football manager Matthew Drain and assistant coaches Chris Bond and Sean Wellman to rivals in what was seen as a wide-scale coaching exodus.

A club seen as brave and exciting only 12 months earlier suddenly looked like it had stagnated.

Eade does not back away from the poor on-field finish, but says some perspective must be added to the discussion.

He acknowledges rivals matched then eclipsed his side's running game. But Eade says if people believe the coaching panel is too inexperienced for success, or think the Dogs are in for a season of struggle, they are ill-informed.

"People will draw conclusions and you can't change that," he said.

"The way we finished the season was a bit out of the blue. We had won four out of five games going into the Geelong game. We have spoken about it as a coaching group and know what we need to work on, but that is not the true us.

"It's a bit like the year before. People were being ultra-positive, and probably being unrealistic the other way.

"In 2005 we won five out of the last six, and were apparently the best team in the competition. That's unrealistic. It's stupid.

"I think we should put it in context over the last three seasons. We had had a dip of seven games over three seasons, so let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater in terms of where we are headed.

"This year going in people are going to tout us as finishing low on the ladder, but we don't think that's the case. We think we are good enough to make the finals."

Had the Dogs surged into the off-season the coaching changes might have been seen as injecting vital fresh blood.

Instead supporters are wary about a support group consisting of Leon Cameron (midfield), elevated part-timer Wayne Campbell (forward), Peter Dean (defence), Brad Gotch (VFL/development), John Barnes (stoppages/ruck) and little-known Simon Dalrymple (development).

Eade says the club has boosted its coaching numbers.

"If you look back, once Chris Bond missed out on the Melbourne job we said publicly that Chris will probably go," Eade said.

"He came and asked for my opinion, and he still wants to be a senior coach and he was advised by his manager that maybe he needed a more beefed-up role, rather than just an assistant coach.

"He had been here eight years, and he thought it was best - and I probably agree with him - to change perceptions. So he will be missed.

"But 'Sheeds' (Kevin Sheedy) has proved over the years that having new voices and new enthusiasm is a real plus."

President David Smorgon's football review will soon be handed down with the club having advertised for a football operations manager.

Contrary to popular belief, it is believed Eade is more than happy to be left to concentrate on coaching, rather than fill several roles.

While the Dogs would have liked to have snared one of Damon White, Russell Robertson or Tim Boyle, Eade says he will continue to build from a platform of youth.

All of Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen, Farren Ray, Tom Williams, Andrejs Everitt, Shaun Higgins, Dylan Addison and Jarrod Harbrow have significant improvement in them.

Eade heads to London this week and will combine a short holiday with visits to Fulham, Tottenham and the English cricket academy.

He says the club will use at least six of its seven selections (5, 19, 35, 43, 48, 61, 65) in the November 24 draft, and keep blooding talent.

"I said from day one I was about development. The pleasing thing last year was we were able to blood so many young players," he said.

"We will be a very young squad, but we think we can fast-track them and that's exciting. We think we can really push for the eight, and higher.

"The mentality is still the same. We are building. You are looking at 2009 and 2010 as a real window for it to open up, but every year we aim to make the finals."

GVGjr
04-11-2007, 11:59 PM
I hate to be picky but moving the goal post out to 2009 and 2010 doesn't site well with me especially given the high expectations Eade had with this group in January.

BulldogBelle
05-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I hate to be picky but moving the goal post out to 2009 and 2010 doesn't site well with me especially given the high expectations Eade had with this group in January.

He is probably just being a tad cautious and doesn't want the media hype crowding the players. I would think "internally clubwise" his thoughts would be a lot different.

Dry Rot
05-11-2007, 12:08 AM

If he means a potential premiership window, is that unreasonable? Can't see us being a premiership contender in 2008.

GVGjr
05-11-2007, 12:12 AM
He is probably just being a tad cautious and doesn't want the media hype crowding the players. I would think "internally clubwise" his thoughts would be a lot different.

I know what you are saying but shouldn't he commit to a return to the 8 at the very least? At one stage Wallace was 5 years into a 3 year rebuilding plan and I hope Eade isn't following the same suit.

GVGjr
05-11-2007, 12:14 AM
If he means a potential premiership window, is that unreasonable? Can't see us being a premiership contender in 2008.

I don't think that is what he is talking about that. I think he is avoiding committing himself to a target.

Dry Rot
05-11-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't think that is what he is talking about that. I think he is avoiding committing himself to a target.

OK - we should certainly be aiming for the finals next year.

GVGjr
05-11-2007, 12:17 AM
OK - we should certainly be aiming for the finals next year.

He should come out and say top 8.

BulldogBelle
05-11-2007, 12:17 AM
I know what you are saying but shouldn't he commit to a return to the 8 at the very least?

At the end of that article you just posted he mentioned that they aim to make the finals every year - he is a little non commital but I think his aspirations are a lot higher than what his article says - to me the article seems focused around the word 'caution' and he isn't giving away too much.

GVGjr
05-11-2007, 12:23 AM
The real question of course is how does he stop the traditional 2nd year blues that so many of the youngsters suffer from?
It's the one trouble of blooding some many first gamers in a season. His ability to keep the likes of Everitt, Harbrow and even Williams progressing in 2008 will be a big test on him and his extended coaching family.

wimberga
05-11-2007, 12:35 AM
I agree with GVGjr

Losing can be contagious and those last seven games will definetly stay with the younger players more than the older, more experienced players.

I believe that whilst rocket mentioned 2009/2010, I truly believe he is aiming to get the big prize whilst hes still got Johnno and Westy in the squad. That said, i think he is also blooding for life after those two aswell, essentially giving us a 3 or 4 year window rather than just the two seasons mentioned.

Dry Rot
05-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Welcome to WOOF Wimberga.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-11-2007, 01:43 AM
The real question of course is how does he stop the traditional 2nd year blues that so many of the youngsters suffer from?
It's the one trouble of blooding some many first gamers in a season. His ability to keep the likes of Everitt, Harbrow and even Williams progressing in 2008 will be a big test on him and his extended coaching family.

That's a very, very relevant and interesting point you make. Although I haven't looked at this in too much detail at other clubs, it seems we suffer from the second year blues significantly more than other sides.

If you look at most of our young players, they've all had that second or in some cases third year blues. Cooney, Ray, Griffen, Minson and even Higgins to a lesser extent. He faded right out in the second half.

Why is this? Due to our taxing game plan that involves an extended amount of running? Is that the problem, or does it come back to the group not being mentally strong enough to pull each other through - eg. in preparation - where a few veterans have noted a number of our younger players don't prepare themselves well enough.

It's a cause for concern IMO, can't afford to have that especially with so MANY younger players. Everitt, Williams, Higgins, Harbrow, Addison etc. etc. have to continue to improve EVERY year, otherwise we'll find ourselves stagnating every second year or so like Melbourne's trend suggests.

GVGjr
05-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Why is this? Due to our taxing game plan that involves an extended amount of running? Is that the problem, or does it come back to the group not being mentally strong enough to pull each other through - eg. in preparation - where a few veterans have noted a number of our younger players don't prepare themselves well enough.

It's a cause for concern IMO, can't afford to have that especially with so MANY younger players. Everitt, Williams, Higgins, Harbrow, Addison etc. etc. have to continue to improve EVERY year, otherwise we'll find ourselves stagnating every second year or so like Melbourne's trend suggests.

Physical maturity is the main reason. The first year into the system they are on a lighter programme but the 2nd year at the club becomes a lot harder for them plus they might have to start carrying a few minor injuries.

I know it's exciting to see an 18yo starting to get games in the firsts but I think it places a huge toll on them. Getting them through the first season without any injuries is really the key.

Given the poor way we finished off the season the expectations on this group by the fans will be enormous.

The Underdog
05-11-2007, 09:00 AM
I think it's a good point but not all those players will suffer from the 2nd year blues. Hopefully this can also be couteracted by full pre-seasons and a better ability to run out a full season from players who had shortened pre-seasons last year and more input from Griffen, Hahn, Gia and a full season from Cross. Also there will be unexpected players step up who will make up for players who are unexpectedly down. At least that's how it should work

Sockeye Salmon
05-11-2007, 10:52 AM
That's a very, very relevant and interesting point you make. Although I haven't looked at this in too much detail at other clubs, it seems we suffer from the second year blues significantly more than other sides.

If you look at most of our young players, they've all had that second or in some cases third year blues. Cooney, Ray, Griffen, Minson and even Higgins to a lesser extent. He faded right out in the second half.

I don't think we suffer from 2nd year blues any more than any other club it's just we don't care if it happens to other clubs and don't notice.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Still, I would argue our young players are better then The Kangaroos, Hawthorn & Collingwood and yet players like Swallow, McGlynn & Pendlebury/Thomas were probably a lot better than ours this year.

We rely heavily on the elders, but I think we also rely too much on first/second year players too. The 'middle core' group is a bit of a problem for us.

I admire Collingwood, they aren't 'superstar studded' but they continue to improve. Every year, people write them off. Every year, they're fighting for a Top 4 spot. Their young players really take their opportunities, they don't seem to 'tire' as much as ours.

wimberga
05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Still, I would argue our young players are better then The Kangaroos, Hawthorn & Collingwood and yet players like Swallow, McGlynn & Pendlebury/Thomas were probably a lot better than ours this year.

We rely heavily on the elders, but I think we also rely too much on first/second year players too. The 'middle core' group is a bit of a problem for us.

I admire Collingwood, they aren't 'superstar studded' but they continue to improve. Every year, people write them off. Every year, they're fighting for a Top 4 spot. Their young players really take their opportunities, they don't seem to 'tire' as much as ours.

Agree, I believe that our 18-21 year olds are much better than a lot of other teams

Templeton31
05-11-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm fine with the article - given there are a few negative ones about at the moment (including by Hutchy in the sunday age yesterday) then its a wise move to get a few positive articles out there with 'membership season' approaching. However I do think its a bit contradictory that when Rocket came to the club he was all about us winning premierships and not accepting the 'happy to exist' culture. this article has a bit of "we're doing alright" about it instead of "we need to demand the best".

The Bulldogs Bite
05-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm fine with the article - given there are a few negative ones about at the moment (including by Hutchy in the sunday age yesterday) then its a wise move to get a few positive articles out there with 'membership season' approaching. However I do think its a bit contradictory that when Rocket came to the club he was all about us winning premierships and not accepting the 'happy to exist' culture. this article has a bit of "we're doing alright" about it instead of "we need to demand the best".

I can see where you're coming from, but what do people expect Eade to say? Pull a Schwab and tell the world we can win a Premiership in 2008? It's important - especially for a club so drained of success like ours - that goals are realistically set.

Can you imagine if Eade said we aim for Top 4, or a Premiership in 2008 and we finish 8th, or worse - don't even make the finals? Supporters would be feral. Hope is fantastic, but false hope could send a club like ours to oblivion.

In doors I'm sure they have higher expectations.

Bulldog Revolution
05-11-2007, 07:48 PM
The group needs the pressure taken off them in the media, and the pressure put on them on the training track and learning the re-vamped game plan - I presume that is what Eade is trying to do

We need to become a team of action

BulldogBelle
05-11-2007, 09:27 PM
The group needs the pressure taken off them in the media, and the pressure put on them on the training track and learning the re-vamped game plan - I presume that is what Eade is trying to do

We need to become a team of action

I agree BR, I think the media hype was way over the top after our 2006 finish, and the pressures we encountered this season reflected it. I think Eade is just trying to keep a lid on it.

Templeton31
06-11-2007, 11:47 AM
I agree BR, I think the media hype was way over the top after our 2006 finish, and the pressures we encountered this season reflected it. I think Eade is just trying to keep a lid on it.

when you lose the last 7 games by an average of about 50pts (or whatever it was) it should be pretty easy to keep a lid on it!!!!

LostDoggy
06-11-2007, 01:22 PM
when you lose the last 7 games by an average of about 50pts (or whatever it was) it should be pretty easy to keep a lid on it!!!!

I'm not happy with his "recession we had to had" analogy because I don't think he put it into the right context. He had high hopes for the 2007 season and said so on a number of occasions and now he is lowering the bar. If he rated the list so highly 12 months ago and blamed the injuries for the subsequent failure, then given he hasn't done a major clean out his expectations should be the same in 2008 as they were in 2007.

Am I missing something or is he just saying he overrated the list last year?

Bulldog Revolution
06-11-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm not happy with his "recession we had to had" analogy because I don't think he put it into the right context. He had high hopes for the 2007 season and said so on a number of occasions and now he is lowering the bar. If he rated the list so highly 12 months ago and blamed the injuries for the subsequent failure, then given he hasn't done a major clean out his expectations should be the same in 2008 as they were in 2007.

Am I missing something or is he just saying he overrated the list last year?

Nobody enjoyed that analogy - we just didn't want to hear it.

In 2007 a lot of our guys could not deal with the increased expectation and its going to come down to whether they are able to mature both mentally and physically.

I've said it in a number of other posts that this group will only be carried as far as Murphy, Hahn, Gia, Boyd, Morris, Gilbee, Cross, Harris, Hargrave, Minson, Cooney, Griffen, Ray and Higgins etc can carry it. We have a youngish side, but there is enough experience there that this group could really move forward. I want to see that the players have a new level of committment in 2008 and are no longer happy to just make up the numbers in the competition. I know that sounds cliche - but I remain unconvinced that our playing group is as serious about it as they need to be.

For me 2008 will be unsuccessful if we do not make the finals.

Topdog
06-11-2007, 05:06 PM
"This year going in people are going to tout us as finishing low on the ladder, but we don't think that's the case. We think we are good enough to make the finals."

Isn't that what you wanted to hear G? I'd be extremely disappointed with anything other than finals next year. We are good enough and we should be there.

FrediKanoute
06-11-2007, 11:00 PM
For me 2008 will be unsuccessful if we do not make the finals.

Absolutely agree with that. I think you can definitely say that with the side we have not playing finls in 2008 would be a failure. the fact is re got murdered in our last 7 games and were still in with a chance to play finals up until round 20/21!

GVGjr
06-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Isn't that what you wanted to hear G? I'd be extremely disappointed with anything other than finals next year. We are good enough and we should be there.

I want him to be more decisive but can understand why he is hedging his bets.

Bulldog Revolution
07-11-2007, 08:16 AM
I want him to be more decisive but can understand why he is hedging his bets.

I know what you are saying GVGjr and I agree - but perhaps it is better that we just fly below the radar at this stage. We have a fair bit of respect to win back in 2008 - our game plan was an open book and every team in the competition knew exactly what we were going to do, and how to stop us.