bornadog
01-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Just been announced

ledge
01-10-2014, 01:11 PM
There goes bomber from essendon

Greystache
01-10-2014, 01:12 PM
No shock, but you have to think they've spent the last week prospecting for a replacement. Obviously they must have someone lined up.

ledge
01-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Big blow for essendon if Hird doesn't coach.

Topdog
01-10-2014, 01:18 PM

fantastic isnt it?!

ledge
01-10-2014, 01:20 PM
fantastic isnt it?!

yes!!!!!

Greystache
01-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Even bigger blow if he DOES coach!

Happy Days
01-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Even bigger blow if he DOES coach!

I've said the whole time that the wettest part of the lettuce was that Hird's suspension gifted Essendon a significantly better coach.

On McKenna, seriously how did he possibly stuff this up? All he had to do was play politician and take the kids it for pizza after wins and he could have been a million-time premiership coach.

bornadog
01-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Its all coming out now:

From Twitter:
Jared Brennan ‏@JJ_Brennan (https://twitter.com/JJ_Brennan)
feel for the players that didn't get the chance to develop and excel because of his stubbornness and one minded ways.

Remi Moses
01-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Its all coming out now:

From Twitter:

Wow, it's all Mckennas fault that Brennan was inconsistent and lacking in effort

Topdog
01-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Wow, it's all Mckennas fault that Brennan was inconsistent and lacking in effort

Doesn't say he is feeling sorry for himself there.

Ozza
01-10-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm surprised that they haven't given McKenna the opportunity to see out the initial 5 year period as a start up club. He has gotten through the hardest part, and they have opted out of a culture of stability - very early in the piece with a very young club/list.

Most of their players, their core group at least, are in that 50-70 game window and could really hit their straps in the next year or two...where the new coach will benefit from the previous years.

I just think, philosophically, with a start up club - its an opportunity to start out with some stability and they've been too impatient.
Probably doesn't help that the two expansion clubs have ridiculous timeframes in mind for how quickly they can win a premiership with groups that start together as babies.

GVGjr
01-10-2014, 07:02 PM

He certainly lived up to his potential in Brisbane

AndrewP6
01-10-2014, 07:52 PM
I think McKenna handled himself really well in the presser. Very gracious and dignified.

LostDoggy
01-10-2014, 08:08 PM
His 4 seasons in terms of wins- 3, 3, 8, 10. Not a downward graph, dont understand his sacking. 1 year left on his contract, would have let him see it out, finals seemed within grasp. Maybe that was the problem, didnt want him to get into finals in the last year of his contract and feel obliged to extend his tenure.

Hotdog60
01-10-2014, 08:26 PM
I think they have jumped at trying to get Bomber. The only trouble is Hird maybe out after tomorrow and Bomber will coach the Dons.

Remi Moses
01-10-2014, 08:36 PM
You'd be on the blower right now to Bomber, and I mean Right now!!

Webby
01-10-2014, 08:37 PM
I think they have jumped at trying to get Bomber. The only trouble is Hird maybe out after tomorrow and Bomber will coach the Dons.

The knock-on effect of a GCS offer to Thompson will bring this to a head in the next 24 hours. Hird will be gone by Friday night. And about time!

ledge
01-10-2014, 08:43 PM
If I was Thompson I would go to GC, new state, young players about to mature and out of the ongoing saga that is Hirdgate

Topdog
01-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Their collapse without sealed his fate

Flamethrower
01-10-2014, 11:34 PM
So Bluey got sacked because Gaz got injured. If Gaz stays healthy, the Suns make the finals and everybody is happy on the Gold Coast.

jeemak
02-10-2014, 01:23 AM
His 4 seasons in terms of wins- 3, 3, 8, 10. Not a downward graph, dont understand his sacking. 1 year left on his contract, would have let him see it out, finals seemed within grasp. Maybe that was the problem, didnt want him to get into finals in the last year of his contract and feel obliged to extend his tenure.

Is anyone seeing a pattern in the way players are starting to almost dominate the way clubs are being run?

Suppose it's a result of players being able to move around more easily than they have in the past, though now it seems clubs are flinching pretty early in the piece when players start to get frustrated because things aren't going their way.

Que the imminent Gen-Y bashing.

jeemak
02-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Some reports have suggested Gary Jnr had some issues with the coach.

If so, the board is concerned about the thoughts of this guy:

Remember Gaz, Planking's wanking.

azabob
02-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Some reports have suggested Gary Jnr had some issues with the coach.

If so, the board is concerned about the thoughts of this guy:

Remember Gaz, Planking's wanking.

In Ablett's final year, which also happened to be Thompson's final year, Thompson made a point of questioning Ablett's loyalty because he wouldn't sign, and compaing him to Selwood had no problem in signing. Ablett didn't like that, and apparently they didn't talk for most of that year.

Or are you talking about McKenna and Ablett?

jeemak
02-10-2014, 08:12 AM
McKenna and Ablett. Really though, I just wanted to link a picture of the latter being a try hard douche.

Topdog
02-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Is that him being a try hard or him doing exercise?

jeemak
03-10-2014, 02:32 AM
Is that him being a try hard or him doing exercise?

He was planking, when the planking craze was just about done. Just like any fad, as soon as AFL players are on to it you know it's out of style. Just like sleeve tatts.

Remi Moses
03-10-2014, 03:27 AM
He was planking, when the planking craze was just about done. Just like any fad, as soon as AFL players are on to it you know it's out of style. Just like sleeve tatts.

Add the hipster beard .
Gen y's will look on this as their " mullet" moment

Mantis
27-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Sounds like Rocket has the job if he wants it.