PDA

View Full Version : Vale Robbie Flower

bulldogtragic
02-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Love or hate technology, but journos on Twitter announcing Robbie Flower has just passed away.

Great player, nice bloke.

1eyedog
02-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Such a fantastic player. RIP.

anfo27
02-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Just heard. Only 59 years old, very sad. Not much has gone right for the club in the last few years.

KT31
02-10-2014, 10:41 PM
True legend of the game.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/robbie-flower-melbourne-legend-and-afl-hall-of-famer-passes-away-aged-59/story-e6frf3e3-1227078308134?nk=4c03ce0c685d874a381f05819060a08e

Remi Moses
02-10-2014, 10:46 PM
How awful !!
Great footballer and stayed loyal to Melbourne through tough times.
They've lost Stynes Wight and Flower and Dean Bailey.
RIP

Twodogs
02-10-2014, 10:52 PM
That game he played in 1987 at Whitten Oval when he dragged Melbourne over the line and into a finals place for the first time in 23 years was incredible. I've never seen a player so he'll bent on winning a game.

RIP Robert Flower. One of the true champions.

Hotdog60
02-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Absolutely loathed Flower as a player. But it was the type of loathing any opposition supporter had against a true champion of the game.

RIP

Webby
02-10-2014, 11:39 PM
That's just so sad to hear. His clashes with Hawkins were truly memorable. My Dad in particular had Flower picked out as best player in the VFL in the early 1980's. That kind of validation really sticks with you.. A really nice, polite, modest man. Showed great loyalty to his club and almost single handedly dragged them into many, many games. In fact, pretty much into the finals in 1987. Could've left Melbourne many, many times as he could've walked into ANY team in the country. Bar none. He was one opposition player I really, really respected.

Younger people probably don't realise just how good Flower was. Like a lot of our old players, he didn't play many finals - so was off the radar. Believe me, he was a gem to watch. An out and out jet. At least the equal of Doug Hawkins. In a world full of big heads and attention seekers, this is just a sad, sad loss... Liked by all who knew him. RIP Robbie Flower.

Max469
02-10-2014, 11:46 PM
Legend on and off the field. RIP Robbie Flower.

Loved watching him play.

Doc26
02-10-2014, 11:49 PM
One of the most gifted, skilful, players I had the pleasure to watch.

While still at secondary school, I got to know Rob working part time in one of his sport shops out in Ringwood.

A great man, and an even greater loss to those he touched.

Very sad to hear of his passing.

Rest in peace Rob.

bornadog
02-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Very Sad and so young.

The Doctor
03-10-2014, 12:22 AM
That game he played in 1987 at Whitten Oval when he dragged Melbourne over the line and into a finals place for the first time in 23 years was incredible. I've never seen a player so he'll bent on winning a game.

RIP Robert Flower. One of the true champions.

That was a colossal battle wasn't it? One of the best games ever. Flower was amazing that day.

True legend of the game. RIP Champion Robbie flower

ratsmac
03-10-2014, 12:31 AM
I'm totally shocked. Great footballer. RIP

Twodogs
03-10-2014, 12:38 AM
That was a colossal battle wasn't it? One of the best games ever. Flower was amazing that day.

True legend of the game. RIP Champion Robbie flower

I can't remember a more exciting and intense game of footy. Unbelievable afternoon at the footy. Especially when we knew what was happening at Kardinia Park.

Remi Moses
03-10-2014, 12:43 AM
Still remember that game in 81 where he took that screamer at centre half forward, and got the dees home by a point.
That was there only win for the year, and we won two games.
Hawkins v Flower was worth the admission

Twodogs
03-10-2014, 12:53 AM
I thought he took that screamer much closer to goal than CHF Remi. In my mind I'm seeing him take it on the edge of the square. He certainly took the kick from almost the goal square.

I vividly remember that day. I caught my mate crying afterwards.

The Pie Man
03-10-2014, 01:14 AM
I can't remember a more exciting and intense game of footy. Unbelievable afternoon at the footy. Especially when we knew what was happening at Kardinia Park.

As a 9YO standing at the Geelong Rd end, all I can remember was Flower taking over in the 2nd half, and the game finishing in near darkness. Heartbreaking day for us, the drama of football

Very sad to go so young - do feel for the MFC family ATM

Webby
03-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Still remember that game in 81 where he took that screamer at centre half forward, and got the dees home by a point.
That was there only win for the year, and we won two games.
Hawkins v Flower was worth the admission

Yeah Flower and Hawkins both dominated - as direct opponents! It was as if they lined up on each other and said
"G'day Robbie",
"G'day Doug"
"Let's just go for it, hey?"

They both sought each other out after the game and exchanged a chest/back pat. You could tell that two pure footballers had really enjoyed a shoot out. Modern coaches wouldn't allow that these days (and both sides were very poorly coached at the time), but geez it was good to watch two pure talents just doing the party tricks.

Robbie Flower represents that nostalgic memory for me. So his death is a real shock.

bornadog
03-10-2014, 09:52 AM
A tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN2TWqrx68U

Eastdog
03-10-2014, 12:29 PM
This is very sad. He was a great player of his time and represented what loyalty was which just isn't there that much today. He will be missed. RIP.

Sedat
03-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Yeah Flower and Hawkins both dominated - as direct opponents! It was as if they lined up on each other and said
"G'day Robbie",
"G'day Doug"
"Let's just go for it, hey?"

They both sought each other out after the game and exchanged a chest/back pat. You could tell that two pure footballers had really enjoyed a shoot out. Modern coaches wouldn't allow that these days (and both sides were very poorly coached at the time), but geez it was good to watch two pure talents just doing the party tricks.

Robbie Flower represents that nostalgic memory for me. So his death is a real shock.
Still remember this day like it was 5 years ago, not 27. Aside from 1997 and 2009 PF's and the Brownless after the siren in 1994, this was the most shattering game I've watched. I can remember Ricky Jackon's snap almost bringing rain it went so high but then sailing through to put the final nail in our coffin for that season. And Robbie Flower that day was absolutely majestic, much as he was for his entire career.

Flower was a champion in a horrible team - he always stepped it up for the Big V and commanded respect from the best footballers in Australia, as he was one of them. Really sad news and quite unexpected - condolences to the family and also to the Demons.

Dry Rot
04-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Before my time. What modern day played are similar to him?

Maddog37
04-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Will Hoskins-Elliot.

Twodogs
04-10-2014, 10:16 PM

None really.

The game Robbie Flower played doesn't bear much resemblance to how they play the game they play today. Even at the time he would have been 15-20 kilos lighter than most of his opponents but his talent would win him the contest. We don't really have wingers any more. It's another position that's been sucked into the midfield scrum.

The Doctor
04-10-2014, 10:31 PM

Rob Murphy would be the closest we would have but not in the same class. Checkout the tribute video from BAD. he's one of the best players I've ever seen. My first choice winger in my all time best team.

Twodogs
04-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Rob Murphy would be the closest we would have but not in the same class. Checkout the tribute video from BAD. he's one of the best players I've ever seen. My first choice winger in my all time best team.

Better than Doug?

Doc26
04-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Better than Doug?

Doug remains my all time favourite Bulldog player.
Certainly as good as Doug before Doug did his knee although my bias may be coming through a tad.

I liked The Doctor's comparison to Bob Murphy. If you think's of Bob's very best, in particular his movement through heavy traffic and ability to find space and targets where others might struggle, add some pace and a great ability to consistently out mark his opponents, like Johnno, then you have Robbie Flower.

He was one of the finest.

The Doctor
05-10-2014, 12:02 AM
Better than Doug?

yes as I say my first choice winger in my all time best 18

Dry Rot
05-10-2014, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. He must have been great to watch live.

KT31
05-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Looking at the highlight package and it bringing back memories, IMO if possible he would be a better footballer the way the game is played today.
Dare I say Judd would be classed as Floweresk.

Twodogs
05-10-2014, 04:02 AM
I spoke to Doug in Footscray today. Typically the first thing he mentioned was what a champion Robert Flower was and how much he looked forward to playing on him because he learned so much every time he did.

LostDoggy
06-10-2014, 01:11 PM
My partner Dan loved Robbie Flower and followed Melbourne in her youth as a result (though she's Dogs now wink wink). She was very sad to hear of his passing, her all-time favourite player.

KT31
06-10-2014, 01:26 PM
My partner Dan loved Robbie Flower and followed Melbourne in her youth as a result (though she's Dogs now wink wink). She was very sad to hear of his passing, her all-time favourite player.

No way is Mrs BAS old enough to remember Robbie Flower !;);)