PDA

View Full Version : Brendan McCartney to remain Western Bulldogs coach despite a major review

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 08:39 AM
A MAJOR review of the Western Bulldogs coaching structure has shored up Brendan McCartney’s position as senior coach.

But McCartney’s coaching panel faces key changes, with the 53-year-old handed specific growth areas in the review to address his shortcomings.

The Herald Sun understands McCartney has conceded he has flaws as a coach which he will aggressively address in the off-season, but his future is in no doubt for 2015.

The review took in the club’s footy department and coaching structure, drilling into the reasons for the fade-out that culminated in an embarrassing loss to Greater Western Sydney.

The Dogs will boost their tactical acumen in the coaching department and are likely to change the way peer and coaching reviews are conducted after some brutally honest feedback in exit interviews.

There is a concession from Whitten Oval that McCartney and his coaching panel went too hard during those exit interviews, which put some players off side.

But no one at the Dogs is apologising for holding players to account after the diabolical finish to the season.

Like Mark Thompson after Geelong’s 2006 review, McCartney will have more time freed up from peripheral issues to concentrate on one-on-one coaching of players.

The review has strongly indicated McCartney is the man to lead the Dogs forward, but must be surrounded by as much coaching depth as possible.

That will include more resources, possibly in opposition analysis, with fans frustrated by the lack of tactical moves put forward by McCartney at times this year.
Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick confirmed to the Herald Sun the scope of the review.

“From our point of view it was sat with the way we finished the year,’’ he said.

“It has brought with it a review and assessment of how we can improve and while it has created some discomfort in the club everyone is really committed to moving forward.”

The Dogs are confident Adam Cooney will stay next year despite rumblings about his discontent and feel Will Minson is comfortable about his future at the club.

Shaun Higgins will land at North Melbourne tomorrow on a four-year deal worth around $400,000 a season.

The Dogs hope that will land them an end-of-first-round pick at around selection 20 or 21 which teamed with their first selection (no. 5) could be swapped for a top-three pick to secure key talls Patrick McCartin or Peter Wright.

Garlick confirmed interest in Sydney’s Sam Reid but said he was settled in Sydney,

“We are going to be pretty proactive to ensure the trade period provides us with specific needs or lets us slide up the draft to get into a zone where we might be slightly more specific.”

Both St Kilda and Melbourne are desperate for deals that give them an extra pick or players inside the top 20.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/brendan-mccartney-to-remain-western-bulldogs-coach-despite-a-major-review/story-fndv8weh-1227078301266

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 08:43 AM
http://www.jobseeker.com.au/job/AFL-Opposition-Analyst-f574e666f9c19d75784adacef654e428?from_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.j obseeker.com.au%2FWestern-Bulldogs-jobs&sp=serp&sr=1

Not waisting anytime.

LostDoggy
03-10-2014, 09:05 AM
I feel so much better after hearing key people from the club talking in the last couple of days. Obviously the player reviews were very harsh (maybe too harsh) but sounds as though everyone has acknowledged that fact and (hopefully) are back on the same page. I'm liking the sound of packaging picks to bump us up the draft order.

Go_Dogs
03-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Despite the criticism I'm sure may follow regarding the outcome of the review, I think it's really brought to a head some of the issues the Club has been facing and ensures that all stakeholders are aware that their collective performance, in certain areas, hasn't measured up. They have taken the hit on the chin, and will continue to develop themselves as coaches, as players, and will have the resources made available to help them get better in those deficient areas.

Any idea who we may look at as a candidate for the role?

Mantis
03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
One of the criticisms or concerns I heard about B-Mac in the early days was his perceived limitations as a 'match-day coach'.. It isn't great that it is still an issue 3 years on.

bornadog
03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
One of the criticisms or concerns I heard about B-Mac in the early days was his perceived limitations as a 'match-day coach'.. It isn't great that it is still an issue 3 years on.

I think a lot of posters on this board have had the same view. In fact how many times have we said he needs help on match day, or even an ex senior coach to be by his side. I really believe the club erred in the way we set up the coaching panel after the departure of Rocket.

Why in the hell we gave Macca a two year extension is beyond me. Probably saved him in the end.

Throughandthrough
03-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Did anyone else see the excellent Channel 7 documentary about AFL Coaches the night before the GF? Macca fwas on it quite a few times, spoke well.

chef
03-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Pick 5 and 21 tor pick 3, theres your bold move you were after BAD. If it nets us the KPF we are dying for I'll be rapt.

bornadog
03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Did anyone else see the excellent Channel 7 documentary about AFL Coaches the night before the GF? Macca fwas on it quite a few times, spoke well.

Yes, I think there is a thread about it.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Pick 5 and 21 tor pick 3, theres your bold move you were after BAD. If it nets us the KPF we are dying for I'll be rapt.

Imagine if Wright & MCartin went picks 1 & 2. Our supports would go nuts.

Mofra
03-10-2014, 10:03 AM
We end up with Petracca - I wouldn't be disappointed.
Gun forward, gun mid who was top ten with a natural leap at the combine. Will be a star

bornadog
03-10-2014, 10:09 AM
We end up with Petracca - I wouldn't be disappointed.
Gun forward, gun mid who was top ten with a natural leap at the combine. Will be a star

I think he is favourite for pick 1

chef
03-10-2014, 10:20 AM
That would mean we end up with essentially pick 1 as Petracca is universally thought of as the best available isnt he. If thats the case our supporters will survive. High risk, high reward.

Mantis
03-10-2014, 10:35 AM

He always speaks well.. Just don't know how effective he is in implementing a successful game style & coaching on match-day.

KT31
03-10-2014, 10:59 AM

A few supporters would be negative ( most likely the ones who suggest we aren't doing enough to get the right cattle ) but I imagine most would be happy we at least gave it a crack.
If it fails we still end up with a quality kid so no real loss.

Very pleased after reading the article( looks like they have been reading Woof :)) and believe Peter will make sure it is followed through to the ninth.
One thing I am a tad annoyed about though is why don't have a comprehensive review every season, if this had been done a season or two back these issues would have been addressed much earlier.

Jeanette54
03-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Going back to the original thread regarding player unrest after the exit interviews I was reminded of a comment by Paul Roos on how Sydney would have handled the player meeting post their grandfinal debacle.

Paul pointed out that the players knew they had performed badly and that John Longmuire would have to put aside his anger prior to his address, because a berating would not be appropriate at that time; and would do much more harm than good.

Bomber Thompson was in complete agreement.

It would be nice to think that those involved in the review would now have learned this lesson, and that there will not be a repeat of this episoide.

The time for a bake is when players can do something about it, eg half time, three quarter time; not when they can do nothing about it during the off season.

ps. During the VFL grand-final I sat next to a group which contained a young man of about seven or eight, wearing a signed jumper with number 19 on the back. For most of the game he put up with a fair amount of good natured chiding from his father and friends with regard to Liam Jones's performance. One could only admire his stout hearted defense of his idol, and fortunately he had the last laugh after Liam's last minute goal fest.

Administrators please note: all our actions have ramifications. I wonder what that young boy is feeling now.

If we are very lucky he will keep the jumper and change the number, not vice versa.

jeemak
03-10-2014, 02:02 PM
It's great that the club has disclosed some of these things.

J54 - I don't know if anger would have been the driver in the criticism of senior players in the post season reviews. Having said that, I'm glad he has gone hard at a number of them as our senior players and some of our periphery players were very ordinary this year, and over the last three years at different times in the case of the senior players have not lead the club well at all.

I'm glad we are putting more resources into opposition analysis, I'm still not convinced match day coaching and manoevres aren't overrated though if we're putting more work into the strategy then that's a good thing.

Happy Days
03-10-2014, 04:39 PM
http://www.jobseeker.com.au/job/AFL-Opposition-Analyst-f574e666f9c19d75784adacef654e428?from_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.j obseeker.com.au%2FWestern-Bulldogs-jobs&sp=serp&sr=1

Not waisting anytime.

Applied and am VERY confident.

Remi Moses
03-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Would have thought they would have had an opposition analyst already .

Before I Die
03-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Would have thought they would have had an opposition analyst already .

Pretty sure it was part of Montgomery's brief. It seems they want to spread the load or beef the role up, or both.

Twodogs
03-10-2014, 09:16 PM
I think we have a team of opposition analysisists.

Topdog
03-10-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm really pleased with that review and it is good to see Macca be critical of himself. Hopefully next year he can learn from his mistakes.

FrediKanoute
03-10-2014, 09:33 PM

Not waisting anytime.

No no time wasted. Clearly they are seeking a match day coach. It will be interesting to see who they get - you would want someone with recent coaching experience who has been successful - Sanderson?

Twodogs
03-10-2014, 09:37 PM
from the paperBut McCartney’s coaching panel faces key changes, with the 53-year-old handed specific growth areas in the review to address his shortcomings.

Sounds like one of the stages of Festivus.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Sounds like one of the stages of Festivus.
Feats of strength between whom I wonder? :)

Remi Moses
03-10-2014, 09:49 PM

Didn't George love festivus .

Twodogs
03-10-2014, 10:52 PM

I was thinking more of the airing of grievances. The one where you tell somebody why they are such a disappointment to you.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2014, 11:30 PM
I was thinking more of the airing of grievances. The one where you tell somebody why they are such a disappointment to you.

I have festivous regularly then. After the grievances comes the feats of strength. So to process, Macca must take on the feats of strength challenge. Not sure if Peter or Simon take on the role as the grappler? Or co-opt Chris Grant in off the board as the club's rep?

1eyedog
04-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Does anyone think Macca's job was right on the line? Is he under pressure if we don't make the 8 next year? I know it's a long-term plan but importent people inside the club like results. I'm thinking that Macca was put right under the pump in this review.

bornadog
04-10-2014, 12:27 AM
Does anyone think Macca's job was right on the line? Is he under pressure if we don't make the 8 next year? I know it's a long-term plan but importent people inside the club like results. I'm thinking that Macca was put right under the pump in this review.

Next year - 10 rounds in if we are 3 and 7 there could be trouble.

Remi Moses
04-10-2014, 01:09 AM

I don't think he's under pressure if we don't make the eight next season, however an improvement is needed though.

Bulldog4life
04-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Didn't George love festivus .

I thought George hated Festivus.

Remi Moses
04-10-2014, 01:28 PM
I thought George hated Festivus.

Being vicious

Bulldog4life
04-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Being vicious

Ha ha get you now.

Topdog
04-10-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't think he's under pressure if we don't make the eight next season, however an improvement is needed though.

yeah I think statements like "need to make the 8" are silly. As long as there is significant improvement that should be all that matters.

azabob
04-10-2014, 04:37 PM
yeah I think statements like "need to make the 8" are silly. As long as there is significant improvement that should be all that matters.

Garlick is on the record saying we need to be pushing for the eight. Which we should be.

bornadog
04-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Garlick is on the record saying we need to be pushing for the eight. Which we should be.

Yes I agree.

chef
04-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Agree with Garlic, but pushing for the eight and making it are two different things though. As long as we keep improving I'm content with Macca.

Topdog
04-10-2014, 08:11 PM

We had 7 wins this year. Significant improvement would see us winning at least 10 which would have us pushing for the 8.

Remi Moses
04-10-2014, 09:37 PM
It's Garlick. That's getting like Hargraves and Griffin and Brad Boyd
We are no hope to make the eight next season

Topdog
04-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Surely a hope to push though. If we aren't getting 9 wins at an absolute minimum something is seriously wrong.

chef
04-10-2014, 11:22 PM
It's Garlick. That's getting like Hargraves and Griffin and Brad Boyd
We are no hope to make the eight next season

I'm a chef, what do you expect.

Remi Moses
05-10-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm a chef, what do you expect.

Sorry chef, I'm being pedantic and I apologise.
I have been over on the Silly big footy, and I've read Garlic continuously

jeemak
05-10-2014, 04:39 AM
If we don't win at least nine games, draw one, and lose three by no more than ten points then I think next year will be a failure.

Twodogs
05-10-2014, 05:51 AM
If we don't win at least nine games, draw one, and lose three by no more than ten points then I think next year will be a failure.

As long as two of the ten point losses are against top 4 teams.

chef
05-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Sorry chef, I'm being pedantic and I apologise.
I have been over on the Silly big footy, and I've read Garlic continuously

Thats cool buddy.

westdog54
05-10-2014, 10:17 AM

Its worth remembering that we lost 5 games this year by led than 2 goals, all of which came with a quarter long lapse. Turn three of those results around and all of a sudden we are 10-12 this year.

ratsmac
05-10-2014, 11:07 AM
I have always thought that Macca won't be the coach that will take us to playing deep into finals. He was renowned for being a great teacher and development coach (on the back of his work with Geelong) and was perfect at the time for where our list was at when he got the job. If he turned out to be a good match day coach or could grow into the role that would be great, but I have always felt that when the time come he would be moved on for a coach who can lead a team of players who can carry out instructions and are ready to take the next step. This is not a knock on McCartney because he has done his job reasonably well in my eyes. Yes he and everyone else would have loved to have seen more wins over his tenure, but his job was to teach and develop a young group of players that are hardened and ready to play a brand of football that will stand up in finals, and apart from our last month and a half this year I believe he had us heading in the right direction. As Westdog54 said in the above post, if a few of those close loses were wins this year we may not be having this discussion. I hope Macca is going to be the coach to take us to the ultimate prize but I I won't be surprised if he is not. I just hope that he is recognised WHEN we do win this elusive premiership.

WBFC4FFC
06-10-2014, 03:40 PM
I have always thought that Macca won't be the coach that will take us to playing deep into finals. He was renowned for being a great teacher and development coach (on the back of his work with Geelong) and was perfect at the time for where our list was at when he got the job. If he turned out to be a good match day coach or could grow into the role that would be great, but I have always felt that when the time come he would be moved on for a coach who can lead a team of players who can carry out instructions and are ready to take the next step. This is not a knock on McCartney because he has done his job reasonably well in my eyes. Yes he and everyone else would have loved to have seen more wins over his tenure, but his job was to teach and develop a young group of players that are hardened and ready to play a brand of football that will stand up in finals, and apart from our last month and a half this year I believe he had us heading in the right direction. As Westdog54 said in the above post, if a few of those close loses were wins this year we may not be having this discussion. I hope Macca is going to be the coach to take us to the ultimate prize but I I won't be surprised if he is not. I just hope that he is recognised WHEN we do win this elusive premiership.

Well said.