PDA

View Full Version : Chris Hemsworth, Come On Down

bulldogtragic
05-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Watching Russell Crowe on the ground after Souths premiership, embracing players, handing out his own personal rings to the boys and generally lapping up 15 years of hard work. Living his boyhood dreams...

As a lifelong FFC/WBFC member Chris, as a very likeable Aussie Hollywood superstar, just imagine living those amazing scenes with our boys... Come on down!

Remi Moses
05-10-2014, 11:44 PM
It's a feel good story, and it's hard to fathom they were booted out of the league.
I'd say they are the closest team passionate fan wise to an AFL team.

Twodogs
06-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Yep. Good luck to the Rabbitohs. Any true sports fan has to appreciate a story like that.

1eyedog
06-10-2014, 12:44 AM
Yep. Good luck to the Rabbitohs. Any true sports fan has to appreciate a story like that.

I've always wondered - just what is a Rabbitoh?

SonofScray
06-10-2014, 12:56 AM

Someone who catches and skins rabbits. I think. The name is similar to the Shinboners in that respect.

jeemak
06-10-2014, 01:21 AM

Someone who catches and skins rabbits. I think. The name is similar to the Shinboners in that respect.

Meaning we should be grateful we don't live in Sydney and are therefore not likely to have to worry about constant drooling over so called "Rabbitoh" spirit in the coming decade or so!

BulldogBelle
06-10-2014, 03:32 AM

They were about when I was a kid.

A truck would come down the street with a guy standing on the back tray truck and a whole lot of rabbits hung up on lines.

No refrigeration.

Hi ho the Rabbit-o he would call out. So the householders would come out and buy his rabbits, gutted and without the skin. Mother would then cook them up into a lovely stew.

Rabbit guts stink like no other, they had to gut the rabbits before they brought them around.

Was the only sort of meat we could really afford. Tasted nice.

They were the days when we also had deliveries by the milkman, the baker, the iceman, the briquetteman, the nightcart man, the potato truck, the watermelon truck and there were others such as the clothesman and the knife-and-scissor-sharpenerman.

craigsahibee
06-10-2014, 10:53 AM

A truck would come down the street with a guy standing on the back tray truck and a whole lot of rabbits hung up on lines.

No refrigeration.

Hi ho the Rabbit-o he would call out. So the householders would come out and buy his rabbits, gutted and without the skin. Mother would then cook them up into a lovely stew.

Rabbit guts stink like no other, they had to gut the rabbits before they brought them around.

They were the days when we also had deliveries by the milkman, the baker, the iceman, the briquetteman, the nightcart man, the potato truck, the watermelon truck and there were others such as the clothesman and the knife-and-scissor-sharpenerman.

I know what you mean, but when the nightcart man starts delivering it's time to go.

Hotdog60
06-10-2014, 12:09 PM

No refrigeration.

I'm old but you must be ancient. ;)

Twodogs
06-10-2014, 12:30 PM

No refrigeration.

I was in the supermarket the other day and they had rabbits there for 29 dollars a kilo. Can you believe it?

My mum does a really good roast rabbit. But stew is nice too. Rabbit was my favourite when I was a kid.

Twodogs
06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
I know what you mean, but when the nightcart man starts delivering it's time to go.

My grandparents hung a new clothesline and forgot to tell the nightman. The next time he came to collect the tin he walked straight into the new line and upended he whole tin over himself. He refused to pick up their waste after that. God knows what they did about it.

Twodogs
06-10-2014, 12:39 PM

I could be wrong but I think the South Sydney Rabbitoh is a nod to Yabba the old bloke who sat on the SCG hill and abused the poms for decades whenever they toured here. He saw Jardine flicking a fly away and yelled "hey Jardine, leave our flys alone" he sold rabbits of the back of a barrow.

westdog54
06-10-2014, 08:12 PM
I could be wrong but I think the South Sydney Rabbitoh is a nod to Yabba the old bloke who sat on the SCG hill and abused the poms for decades whenever they toured here. He saw Jardine flicking a fly away and yelled "hey Jardine, leave our flys alone" he sold rabbits of the back of a barrow.

Its one of the best sledges I think I've ever heard.

Webby
06-10-2014, 09:06 PM

My Nan actually grew up in Redfern and remembered Rabbitohs very clearly. They were essentially blokes who caught, skinned and flogged rabbits door to door. In the days prior to household refrigeration, they were quite handy. Rabbits were plentiful (a pest) and men could make decent money by catching and flogging them. It was a cheap meat and a low paying job. With South Sydney being very working class - Rabbitohs were probably more prominent there than other parts such as the north shore. The nickname was more of an English club-type thing (ie. Everton = Toffees etc) but once 1970's marketing came in, the "Rabbits" became a bit more prominent in marketing etc.

Ironic in that a Rabbitoh is actually pretty much the opposite of a rabbit! Similarly, St George were the "Dragon Slayers" prior to the '70's yet became just the "Dragons" around the same time. I think it was an American influence with merchandising and cartoon Rabbits and Dragons appearing.

Finally (if you're not asleep by now, reading this!), Canterbury-Bankstown adopted the Bulldogs moniker in 1977. Up till then they'd simply been known as the Berries... Tough as that is! By that stage I was a bone fide Footscray and St George fan, so I was dirty that Canterbury (who I strongly disliked - & still do) pinched Footscray's nickname.

SonofScray
06-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Ironic in that a Rabbitoh is actually pretty much the opposite of a rabbit! Similarly, St George were the "Dragon Slayers" prior to the '70's yet became just the "Dragons" around the same time. I think it was an American influence with merchandising and cartoon Rabbits and Dragons appearing.

Finally (if you're not asleep by now, reading this!), Canterbury-Bankstown adopted the Bulldogs moniker in 1977. Up till then they'd simply been known as the Berries... Tough as that is! By that stage I was a bone fide Footscray and St George fan, so I was dirty that Canterbury (who I strongly disliked - & still do) pinched Footscray's nickname.

This stuff is one of my favourite Football topics. We have and continue to have some great nicknames, I always wonder what'd take for one to become common vernacular and maybe even one day become more prominent than the Bulldogs moniker? Obviously we're all happy with Bulldogs and how it came about, but I love how over the history of the Club there has been some fluidity to it.

Saltwater Lads is my favourite.

Webby
06-10-2014, 09:53 PM
This stuff is one of my favourite Football topics....... Saltwater Lads is my favourite.

You know, I reckon we've got more variations than any club. I count:
The Scray
The Scraggers
The Dogs
The Doggies
The Saltwater Lads
The Tricolors
The Bullies &
The Imperials

Maybe it's because I know us better than others, but I can't think of another club with so many different nicknames. Essendon, for example have Bombers, Dons and... er... That's it. (Perhaps Cheats or Kool-aid slurpers?!)

Seriously, though.. Maggies, Woods and Pies has Collingwood covered. Carlton are simply the Blues or Navy Blues... Nothing else.

SonofScray
06-10-2014, 09:58 PM
The Scray
The Scraggers
The Dogs
The Doggies
The Saltwater Lads
The Tricolors
The Bullies &
The Imperials

Maybe it's because I know us better than others, but I can't think of another club with so many different nicknames. Essendon, for example have Bombers, Dons and... er... That's it. (Perhaps Cheats or Kool-aid slurpers?!)

Seriously, though.. Maggies, Woods and Pies has Collingwood covered. Carlton are simply the Blues or Navy Blues... Nothing else.
Men From The Land Of Boulders
Dishlickers
Representatives of Stoneopolis
The Bone Mill Fellows (forgot about this one briefly, equal favourite)

Sydney have The Bloods.

BulldogBelle
07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm old but you must be ancient. ;)

There was also the bottle-o who used to collect empty beer bottles, the egg man and the paper boy. The bottle-o guy operated much like the rabbit-o, driving slowly down the street yelling out bottle-o.

Rabbit-o, rabbit-o, here are the rabbit-o! Still remember it pretty vividly.

ledge
07-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Did mixamatosis kill off the rabbitoh because rabbits are still aplenty

Jeanette54
07-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Rabbitohs weren't confined to Sydney.

During the jobless depression my grandfather, who lived in Footscray, had a contract with a local butcher to supply two hundred pair a week. Apparently rabbits were almost always sold in "pairs".

Every weekend he and a mate would load the nets, ferrets and gear onto the old Indian motorbike and sidecar, and head up to the many gorges outside of Footscray. There they would have to catch/shot/skin/clean 400 rabbits ready for the butchers first thing Monday morning. Hard work, and sleeping rough.

Neither he, or his mate, were "career rabbitohs". It was a different society then. It was just what they had to do to survive until they could find regular employment.

I wouldn't think too many of todays kids, queueing for money at the unemployment counter would be prepared to go to that amount of trouble to earn a living.

I imagine that South Sydney residents would have been in a similar socio-economic demographic during those hard times.

Twodogs
07-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Rabbitohs weren't confined to Sydney.

During the jobless depression my grandfather, who lived in Footscray, had a contract with a local butcher to supply two hundred pair a week. Apparently rabbits were almost always sold in "pairs".

Every weekend he and a mate would load the nets, ferrets and gear onto the old Indian motorbike and sidecar, and head up to the many gorges outside of Footscray. There they would have to catch/shot/skin/clean 400 rabbits ready for the butchers first thing Monday morning. Hard work, and sleeping rough.

Neither he, or his mate, were "career rabbitohs". It was a different society then. It was just what they had to do to survive until they could find regular employment.

I wouldn't think too many of todays kids, queueing for money at the unemployment counter would be prepared to go to that amount of trouble to earn a living.

I imagine that South Sydney residents would have been in a similar socio-economic demographic during those hard times.

Braces J54. A pair of bunnys is a brace. I can remember hunting for rabbits. All the kids in the back of the ute and up the bush we'd go.

ledge
07-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Braces J54. A pair of bunnys is a brace. I can remember hunting for rabbits. All the kids in the back of the ute and up the bush we'd go.

Then the Maltese arrived with dogs and wild pigs became the fashion.

always right
07-10-2014, 06:17 PM
I thought I was old. Thanks to you blokes I have a fresh outlook on my longevity.

Bulldog4life
07-10-2014, 06:24 PM
The Scray
The Scraggers
The Dogs
The Doggies
The Saltwater Lads
The Tricolors
The Bullies &
The Imperials

Fairly certain they were were the Gliders before they became the Bombers. Also another nickname was "The Blood Stained N....s",not sure if I can type it here but it is a nickname used disparagingly for an African American.

Twodogs
07-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Fairly certain they were were the Gliders before they became the Bombers. Also another nickname was "The Blood Stained N....s",not sure if I can type it here but it is a nickname used disparagingly for an African American.

Essendon were also called the Same Old in the 1890s.

Bulldog4life
07-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Essendon were also called the Same Old in the 1890s.

Yes that's right. Wasn't sure when. What a strange name.

Twodogs
07-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Yes that's right. Wasn't sure when. What a strange name.

Because they won three premierships in a row in the early part if the decade their supporters (with typical humility) made up a song and there was a line that went something like "don't bother to ask who leads the table it's always Essendon, the same old team who it always is"

Bulldog4life
08-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Because they won three premierships in a row in the early part if the decade their supporters (with typical humility) made up a song and there was a line that went something like "don't bother to ask who leads the table it's always Essendon, the same old team who it always is"

I suppose it is better than Hawthorn's old name The May blooms. That is a corker.

SonofScray
08-10-2014, 01:57 AM
I suppose it is better than Hawthorn's old name The May blooms. That is a corker.

Were Richmond the Honey Pots at one point?
Geelong were the Pivotonians, I think.
Melbourne the Red-legs which is a ripper.

chef
08-10-2014, 07:20 AM

And then they were the Mustard pots which aint much better.

chef
08-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Were Richmond the Honey Pots at one point?
Geelong were the Pivotonians, I think.
Melbourne the Red-legs which is a ripper.

Fitzroy were the Gorillas at one stage too weren't they?

BulldogBelle
08-10-2014, 08:05 AM

Yep. l think from the 30's to the 50's?

Webby
08-10-2014, 08:05 AM

Yeah Fitzroy were the Gorillas from the 1930's right up until the late 50's when they took on the Lions. Prior to the Gorillas they were simply the Maroons. The Roys was a constant... It's funny that their least successful period was as the Lions. They never even made a GF as the Lions but played in a dozen or so prior to taking it on - yet it's the only surviving element of the club.

Essendon were indeed the Same Olds. Didn't realise they were the Gliders. I had always thought the Same Olds came about because Essendon had fielded a separate m, yet visually identical team - Essendon A - in the VFA. Therefore the Essendon VFL team was referred to as the Same Olds.

Perhaps nowadays Insane Olds would be appropriate..?

Melbourne were the Fuscias and Red Legs prior to the harder Demons tag was adopted.

I guess my point is that at an Essendon game, you'll struggle to hear any fan yell anything other than "carn the Bombers" or "carn the Dons". At Melbourne games "Go Dees" or "Go Demons".

Whereas at our games I hear anything from Carn the Doggies, C'mon Scray, Go Dogs, Carn the Scraggers, Carn the Bullies etc. surely more variation than any other club?

Bulldog4life
08-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah Fitzroy were the Gorillas from the 1930's right up until the late 50's when they took on the Lions. Prior to the Gorillas they were simply the Maroons. The Roys was a constant... It's funny that their least successful period was as the Lions. They never even made a GF as the Lions but played in a dozen or so prior to taking it on - yet it's the only surviving element of the club.

Essendon were indeed the Same Olds. Didn't realise they were the Gliders. I had always thought the Same Olds came about because Essendon had fielded a separate m, yet visually identical team - Essendon A - in the VFA. Therefore the Essendon VFL team was referred to as the Same Olds.

Perhaps nowadays Insane Olds would be appropriate..?

Melbourne were the Fuscias and Red Legs prior to the harder Demons tag was adopted.

I guess my point is that at an Essendon game, you'll struggle to hear any fan yell anything other than "carn the Bombers" or "carn the Dons". At Melbourne games "Go Dees" or "Go Demons".

Whereas at our games I hear anything from Carn the Doggies, C'mon Scray, Go Dogs, Carn the Scraggers, Carn the Bullies etc. surely more variation than any other club?

I usually yell this out. Although I detest a bully in normal life I want our team to bully the opposition. Of course short for Bulldogs too. So it is the Bullies for me.

Twodogs
08-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Yeah Fitzroy were the Gorillas from the 1930's right up until the late 50's when they took on the Lions. Prior to the Gorillas they were simply the Maroons. The Roys was a constant...

In the early 1920s Fitzroy were also called the Man's Team because they liked a fight.