PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs hope to improve draft position in bid to secure needed key forward

1eyedog
06-10-2014, 11:26 AM
THE Western Bulldogs want to elevate their No.5 pick in the trade period to ensure they draft the prized key forward they crave.

Key-position talents Paddy McCartin, Peter Wright and Sam Durdin could be snatched before the Dogs enter the draft, while Darcy Moore is set to join Collingwood as a father-son on Monday.

Strong midfielders Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw will also feature at the top of the draft board.

The Dogs’ first pick could swell to No.6 should Melbourne receive maximum compensation for Hawthorn-bound James Frawley.

Rivals believe McCartin – a 194cm, 94kg full-forward from Geelong Falcons – would be the ideal focal point for the Dogs, who are set to lose high-marking goalkicker Liam Jones to Carlton.

“I’ve spoken to my manager and a few other people and they’ve said trade period will play a big part in what ends up happening,” McCartin, 18, said.

“I feel like I’d be able to go in and have a bit of a presence next year.”

Wright is a 203cm ruck-forward and South Australian Durdin is a 197cm swingman who feels more comfortable in the backline. Peter Wright is expected to go inside the top five at the national draft.Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick confirmed the draft plan, which means the top six selections could all be placed on the trade table.

St Kilda is open to deals for the No.1 pick and Melbourne – should it secure Nos. 2 and 3 – is also in a position to trade.

The Dogs’ most realistic chance of nabbing McCartin is to exchange its first selection (currently 5) and a sweetener for the Demons’ first pick in a condensed version of last year’s Dom Tyson trade.

Petracca is expected to go No.1, particularly if Greater Western Sydney prise that pick from the Saints.

The Giants currently hold pick three and a similar mooted trade would appeal to both them and St Kilda if balanced.

“We are going to be pretty proactive and aggressive in terms of ensuring that this trade period … gives us a slide up the draft to allow us get into a zone where we might be able to be slightly more specific to what we need as a club,” Garlick told SEN.

Despite boasting three top-six picks in the past two drafts the Dogs have not had the chance to secure power forwards Tom Boyd (GWS) and Jesse Hogan (Melbourne), while Jon Patton (GWS) went No.1 in 2011.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-hope-to-improve-draft-position-in-bid-to-secure-needed-key-forward/story-fni5fazt-1227079437357

Bulldog4life
06-10-2014, 06:38 PM
THE Western Bulldogs want to elevate their No.5 pick in the trade period to ensure they draft the prized key forward they crave.

Key-position talents Paddy McCartin, Peter Wright and Sam Durdin could be snatched before the Dogs enter the draft, while Darcy Moore is set to join Collingwood as a father-son on Monday.

Strong midfielders Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw will also feature at the top of the draft board.

The Dogs’ first pick could swell to No.6 should Melbourne receive maximum compensation for Hawthorn-bound James Frawley.

Rivals believe McCartin – a 194cm, 94kg full-forward from Geelong Falcons – would be the ideal focal point for the Dogs, who are set to lose high-marking goalkicker Liam Jones to Carlton.

“I’ve spoken to my manager and a few other people and they’ve said trade period will play a big part in what ends up happening,” McCartin, 18, said.

“I feel like I’d be able to go in and have a bit of a presence next year.”

Wright is a 203cm ruck-forward and South Australian Durdin is a 197cm swingman who feels more comfortable in the backline. Peter Wright is expected to go inside the top five at the national draft.Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick confirmed the draft plan, which means the top six selections could all be placed on the trade table.

St Kilda is open to deals for the No.1 pick and Melbourne – should it secure Nos. 2 and 3 – is also in a position to trade.

The Dogs’ most realistic chance of nabbing McCartin is to exchange its first selection (currently 5) and a sweetener for the Demons’ first pick in a condensed version of last year’s Dom Tyson trade.

Petracca is expected to go No.1, particularly if Greater Western Sydney prise that pick from the Saints.

The Giants currently hold pick three and a similar mooted trade would appeal to both them and St Kilda if balanced.

“We are going to be pretty proactive and aggressive in terms of ensuring that this trade period … gives us a slide up the draft to allow us get into a zone where we might be able to be slightly more specific to what we need as a club,” Garlick told SEN.

Despite boasting three top-six picks in the past two drafts the Dogs have not had the chance to secure power forwards Tom Boyd (GWS) and Jesse Hogan (Melbourne), while Jon Patton (GWS) went No.1 in 2011.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-hope-to-improve-draft-position-in-bid-to-secure-needed-key-forward/story-fni5fazt-1227079437357

Hopefully we can elevate up the draft ladder now that we definitely have no.6.

Remi Moses
06-10-2014, 07:59 PM
What do we do obtain that ?
I see the only way is giving the AFL demons our Higgins pick and the other 2nd .
Just can't see giving up a kid for three draft spots.

chef
06-10-2014, 08:01 PM
I see the only way is giving the AFL demons our Higgins pick and the other 2nd .

I think thats what we will offer pick 6 and 26 for 3. I'd be happy to do that as Wright and McCartin will be gone by 6.

Greystache
06-10-2014, 08:08 PM
I think thats what we will offer pick 6 and 26 for 3. I'd be happy to do that as Wright and McCartin will be gone by 6.

If that's the case the case I'd want 2 not 3. If St Kilda goes for Petracca then we have our choice of tall, and Melbourne can ruin the career of whoever we don't choose.

lemmon
06-10-2014, 08:10 PM
If that's the case the case I'd want 2 not 3. If St Kilda goes for Petracca then we have our choice of tall, and Melbourne can ruin the career of whoever we don't choose.

I wonder whether the Dees would still want Brayshaw making it a fairly moot point? They need high quality mids more than anything else

G-Mo77
06-10-2014, 08:12 PM

This is more than enough. Melbourne will want more though.

Greystache
06-10-2014, 08:26 PM
I wonder whether the Dees would still want Brayshaw making it a fairly moot point? They need high quality mids more than anything else

Maybe, they need a lot of everything. Perhaps we can clarify their intentions as part of a deal.

soupman
06-10-2014, 09:21 PM
The hard part is making an enticing deal for Melbourne.

Our first and second pick aren't enough, for starters pick 26 isn't worth a 3 pick downgrade at the pointy end, and besies Roos doesn't rate draft picks anyway.

To get it we are going to have to give up a player, and a decent player at that. The players Melbourne are going to be looking at on our list are part of our quality young midfield group: Macrae, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Wallis, Hrovat, Dahlhaus. None of which i would be happy to get rid of without considerable compensation. If we did get rid of one I would want Melbournes second pick (23) back at the least, and only Wallis and Hrovat are players I would maybe put in that trade from this group.

It's going to be really interesting to see how we work this trade so that we benefit.

ledge
06-10-2014, 09:35 PM

Our first and second pick aren't enough, for starters pick 26 isn't worth a 3 pick downgrade at the pointy end, and besies Roos doesn't rate draft picks anyway.

To get it we are going to have to give up a player, and a decent player at that. The players Melbourne are going to be looking at on our list are part of our quality young midfield group: Macrae, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Wallis, Hrovat, Dahlhaus. None of which i would be happy to get rid of without considerable compensation. If we did get rid of one I would want Melbournes second pick (23) back at the least, and only Wallis and Hrovat are players I would maybe put in that trade from this group.

It's going to be really interesting to see how we work this trade so that we benefit.

If Roos doesn't rate draft picks give him jones for 3

Remi Moses
07-10-2014, 01:22 AM

That's what I was thinking if it was one of those it would be Hrovat or Wallis, and I want their second rounder .
Or if the AFL Demons can get a first rounder somehow

FrediKanoute
07-10-2014, 03:22 AM
It will be Hrovat then......can't see the club letting go a son of a gun.....talent aside its the fabric of the club that you are playing with. Its one thing to pass on the son of a club great, but to draft and develop and use a trade bait to lure another kid to the club the weight of expectations that kid would bear would be immence.

There are a handful of players at the Western Bulldogs who are club greats, Steve Wallis is one and I can't see Mitch going anywhere

ledge
07-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Can't see Hrovat going he is our small Who knows where the goals are ., tough as nails and great around the club also.
That would be a big mistake.

soupman
07-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Can't see Hrovat going he is our small Who knows where the goals are ., tough as nails and great around the club also.
That would be a big mistake.

I just fail to see what else we could offer to acquire the pick. If we were Melbourne we wouldn't be taking something as weak as a second round pick or someone like Adam Cooney.

I would like to keep Hrovat also.

jeemak
07-10-2014, 12:47 PM
It will be Hrovat then......can't see the club letting go a son of a gun.....talent aside its the fabric of the club that you are playing with. Its one thing to pass on the son of a club great, but to draft and develop and use a trade bait to lure another kid to the club the weight of expectations that kid would bear would be immence.

There are a handful of players at the Western Bulldogs who are club greats, Steve Wallis is one and I can't see Mitch going anywhere

Such a move didn't seem to hurt Josh Kennedy or Hawthorn too much did it?

SlimPickens
07-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Wonder if we could involve Carlton and Garlett to upgrade our pick.

Carlton trade pick 7 and Garlett to Melboure.
We trade pick 6 and Jones to Carlton
Melbourne Trade pick 3 to Dogs.

We go up the order, Jones and Garlett get to their designated clubs.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 05:10 PM

We go up the order Jones and Garlett get to their designated clubs we move
up the draft order.

My reaction is we seem to be the least successful in that. Could we swap second rounders with Melbourne too? (pick 23 for 26) That might clinch the deal?

azabob
07-10-2014, 05:11 PM

We go up the order Jones and Garlett get to their designated clubs we move
up the draft order.

The big unknown is, how much are those picks in between worth? I think that is what clubs and the public struggle with.

Melbourne have history of doing it though. The question is Gartlett a big enough fish like Dom Tyson?

SlimPickens
07-10-2014, 05:20 PM
My reaction is we seem to be the least successful in that. Could we swap second rounders with Melbourne too? (pick 23 for 26) That might clinch the deal?

6 to 3 is a good jump and gives us a very good chance at obtaining one of McCartin or Wright. Every club in this trade gets what they want, whilst no one "wins" dramatically.

SlimPickens
07-10-2014, 05:22 PM
The big unknown is, how much are those picks in between worth? I think that is what clubs and the public struggle with.

Melbourne have history of doing it though. The question is Gartlett a big enough fish like Dom Tyson?

Probably not but to still have two picks in the top 10 and Garlett is a good result for Melbourne.

soupman
07-10-2014, 05:47 PM

We go up the order, Jones and Garlett get to their designated clubs.

I was thinking this but I don't think Melbourne will go for it.

Would they accept pick 6 and 26 for pick 3? Highly unlikely.

Could they get Garlett for pick 30+, highly likely.

Therefore Garlett<pick 26, so its a weaker deal than our first and second rounders combined.

I would imagine they would ask for the proposed three way trade plus our pick 26 or an equivalent player. Whether they could be talked down to a pick upgrade instead of 26 outright would remain to be seen.

anfo27
07-10-2014, 05:54 PM
I was thinking this but I don't think Melbourne will go for it.

Would they accept pick 6 and 26 for pick 3? Highly unlikely.

Could they get Garlett for pick 30+, highly likely.

Therefore Garlett<pick 26, so its a weaker deal than our first and second rounders combined.

I would imagine they would ask for the proposed three way trade plus our pick 26 or an equivalent player. Whether they could be talked down to a pick upgrade instead of 26 outright would remain to be seen.

If we could get Tutt to change his mind and choose the dees then we could add him to the equation. Dees will get Garlett and Tutt for a 3 pick downgrade.

soupman
07-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Tutt doesn't really add any value though. He is a pick 60 trade at best.

lemmon
07-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Probably not but to still have two picks in the top 10 and Garlett is a good result for Melbourne.

Would you take going from pick 6 to 9 for Jeff Garlett? Roos would get absolutely slaughtered. In my mind Garlett is worth a fourth round pick at best

LostDoggy
07-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Hawks (19) to GWS for O'Rourke
Bulldogs (6), (26) & Talia to GWS
GWS (4) & (19) to Dogs

Bulldog Joe
07-10-2014, 07:05 PM

Disagree BT. We are very successful in the quoted scenario. Melbourne are the ones who are missing out. Carlton are the big winners. Jones plus a pick upgrade for a player they might delist if no trade eventuates. Carlton would need to add something more for Melbourne.
Perhaps the 3rd rounder they are prepared to pay for Jones could come to us and the Higgins compo to Melbourne.

wimberga
07-10-2014, 07:13 PM
I am all for moving up the draft order where possible provided we don't overpay too much.

One trade or move I had been thinking about was whether or not Gold Coast might be interested in swapping our pick 6 + pick 26 for their pick 8 + 15? If they rated a particular player high enough then it may be of value to them, and for us (assuming we couldn't get a deal done for an earlier pick) we can secure two highly rated players (such as a Lever/Marchbank combo or what not) and really bolster our ranks from whats viewed as a fairly even draft inside the top 15 picks.

There could be some further changes not unlike the Melbourne/Tyson trade, but with all the talk of trading to move up the order, should we potentially be looking at moving the other way?

SlimPickens
07-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Would you take going from pick 6 to 9 for Jeff Garlett? Roos would get absolutely slaughtered. In my mind Garlett is worth a fourth round pick at best

If that's what we needed maybe. I think Carlton would expect more than a fourth round for Garlett. Melbourne need to overhaul their list and if they want Garlett and Lumumba it may require some creative thinking like this. Dropping 4 places in this draft especially at the pointy end isn't a terrible result in the trade I outlined.

lemmon
07-10-2014, 07:53 PM
If that's what we needed maybe. I think Carlton would expect more than a fourth round for Garlett. Melbourne need to overhaul their list and if they want Garlett and Lumumba it may require some creative thinking like this. Dropping 4 places in this draft especially at the pointy end isn't a terrible result in the trade I outlined.

We'll have to agree to disagree but I do think it's a terrible result for them. Lumumba will go for a pick in the 30's, probably the 33 they'll get for Clark and Carlton will take whatever they can get for Garlett considering they've pretty much decided he and Robinson won't be at the club next year...nor does anyone else want him. I'd hardly call adding two flankers who no one else really wants and with differing off-field issues 'overhauling their list' or requiring 'creative thinking' to get.

Melbourne have an opportunity to do a Stringer/Macrae combo except with picks even further up the order...they aren't going to throw it away for anything but a good young midfielder ie. Hrovat.