PDA

View Full Version : Zaine Cordy - Welcome to the Bulldogs

bornadog
06-10-2014, 12:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzOBC_yCcAEbnQe.jpg:large

The Western Bulldogs have added their fifth father-son to the senior list, taking defender Zaine Cordy with pick 61 at this morning’s bidding meeting at Etihad Stadium.

A versatile and athletic tall defender, Cordy was rated a top-30 prospect before bidding and slipped through to the fourth round, with the earliest bidder Fremantle placing a bid at pick 51.

Recruiting Manager Simon Dalrymple said securing Cordy with a fourth round pick was an excellent result for the Club and sets up an exciting trade and draft period.

“To acquire Zaine in the fourth round is a big positive for our Club, as we still hold three picks inside the top 26,” Dalrymple said.

“Zaine possesses all the right qualities in a defender, he is super competitive, and has the versatility to play on a range of opponents.”

“We are extremely pleased to have secured Zaine, having watched him closely over the past three years, as we think he will adds a different element to our emerging defensive group.”

Zaine Cordy joins brother Ayce, Lachie Hunter, Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore as father-son draftees currently on the senior list the Club.

Ghost Dog
06-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Loved the footage I saw of Zaine. Very composed and agile. Welcome to the club young fella.

chef
06-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Forth rounder for him, wowee thats awesome.

bornadog
06-10-2014, 12:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKmBVrlPWOY

Go_Dogs
06-10-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm surprised BT hasn't been on to start this thread!

Welcome aboard Zaine, bet he's a very happy young man now that it's finally done.

ledge
06-10-2014, 12:29 PM
How come if freo picked him at 5 we get him at 61?

Go_Dogs
06-10-2014, 12:32 PM

That's a typo in the article. We have pick 5, Freo went with 51 I believe.

bornadog
06-10-2014, 12:32 PM

You mean Freo pick 51 which means we use our next pick 61

Ozza
06-10-2014, 12:33 PM

Its a typo - they bid 51 for him.

Eastdog
06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Welcome to the Bulldogs Zaine. Wish you to have a great career with us.

BT I'm sure #Griffen16 will get on the thread soon :)

Mofra
06-10-2014, 12:36 PM
4th rounder, excellent.
Welcome Zaine

KT31
06-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Welcome to the Doggies.

Topdog
06-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Great stuff and thanks for the clarification on the typo

chef
06-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Who else went FS and at what pick?

bornadog
06-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Who else went FS and at what pick?

Here you go

Bidding summary
• Melbourne bid pick two on Isaac Heeney, which the Swans matched with pick 17.

• Western Bulldogs bid pick five on Darcy Moore, which Collingwood matched with pick 8. 

• North bid pick 15 on Jack Steele, which GWS matched with pick 23.

• Adelaide bid pick 29 on Billy Stretch, which Melbourne matched with pick 39.

• Richmond bid pick 31 on Liam Dawson, which the Lions matched with pick 41.

• Fremantle bid pick 32 on Jack Hiscox, which Sydney matched with pick 36.

• North Melbourne bid pick 34 on Harris Andrews, which the Lions matched with pick 60.

• Fremantle bid pick 51 for Zaine Cordy, which the Western Bulldogs matched with pick 61. 

• Geelong bid pick 70 on Abe Davis, which the Swans matched with pick 73.

• Josh Clayton (Brisbane Lions), Alec Waterman (West Coast) and Jeremy Finlayson (GWS) did not receive bids, meaning they will join their nominated clubs with their last picks in the draft.

Note: Compensation picks are not taken into account in draft order

LostDoggy
06-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Great result. Welcome to the kennel Zaine.

chef
06-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Jack Hiscox, what an unforgettable name.

LostDoggy
06-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Zaine is just an extraordinary name isn't it? Ayce and Zaine. Interesting picks.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Good result.

Confident he'll fill out pretty well and he has a good reach to play as that 'Hargrave' type of role.

ratsmac
06-10-2014, 01:32 PM
I am pumped with getting him with pick 62. I don't know if welcome is the right word because he has been a Bulldog for like ever. So congratulations Zaine for doing what we all would of loved to do, which is play for the doggies!

*Edit - pick 61

azabob
06-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Great result in landing him with pick 62.

Also happy to read we bid on Darcy Moore.

Bulldog4life
06-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Good result.

Confident he'll fill out pretty well and he has a good reach to play as that 'Hargrave' type of role.

Agree BB and with Shaggy picked at no.66 it is a good omen. Welcome to the kennel Zaine.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Great result in landing him with pick 62.

Also happy to read we bid on Darcy Moore.

Thing s went well for us and also glad we bid on Moore.
Welcome Zaine, wish you well with your career.

Doc26
06-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Simon Dalrymple confirmed that we would've taken him with our pick 25. Obviously very pleased with the outcome.

Greystache
06-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Dalrymple on trade radio saying we would have used pick 25 if he had been nominated earlier.

He's say the club sees him long term as a key defender once he bulks up. Personally I think that's pretty fanciful.

Remi Moses
06-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Looks a third tall type at AFL level, although Morris is the size of a third tall.
Real bargain at that pick

stefoid
06-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Dalrymple on trade radio saying we would have used pick 25 if he had been nominated earlier.

He's say the club sees him long term as a key defender once he bulks up. Personally I think that's pretty fanciful.

also too honest.

lemmon
06-10-2014, 03:05 PM
also too honest.

Honest or pandering to the mainstream supporter base? The vast majority of dogs fans would have never seen him play, hearing that we got a supposed top 30 father-son key back for a pick in the fourth round is more than a little encouraging...how true it actually is, is another point.

bulldogsman
06-10-2014, 03:29 PM
I really like his highlights tape. Good skills, moves well , reads the play well and takes a few good intercept marks. Welcome Zaine

Ozza
06-10-2014, 04:32 PM
I really like his highlights tape. Good skills, moves well , reads the play well and takes a few good intercept marks. Welcome Zaine

They needed to edit out the kicks out on the full and when he was caught holding the ball!!!

LostDoggy
06-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Jack Hiscox, what an unforgettable name.

He'll bring the members out in force.

EasternWest
06-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Outstanding result at pick 61.

Nice to have something go our way so early.

G-Mo77
06-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Outstanding result at pick 61.

Nice to have something go our way so early.

Yep. Couldn't agree more. Great result and our extra pick from Higgins is a good return as well.

Welcome Zaine!

EasternWest
06-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Yep. Couldn't agree more. Great result and our extra pick from Higgins is a good return as well.

Welcome Zaine!

Actually good point. Two things gone our way early.

This can only mean bad news incoming. I've followed this club for too long to expect differently.

LostDoggy
06-10-2014, 07:30 PM

This can only mean bad news incoming. I've followed this club for too long to expect differently.

Like Melbourne getting pick 3!?

Eze Dog
06-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Like Melbourne getting pick 3!?

I'm not so sure this is a bad thing as Melbourne may be a bit easier to deal with than say the GWS in terms of if we try to offer our pick 6 + either 1 second round draft pick / a player / multiple draft picks (if its worth it) to get their Pick 3.

G-Mo77
06-10-2014, 07:59 PM

Shhhhh. This time it's going to be different.

LostDoggy
06-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Interesting to hear Dalrymple say we would initally develop him as a third tall, with the intention of developing him into a KP as his body matures.

FrediKanoute
06-10-2014, 08:43 PM
OK.....having watched 40 sec of the video I have seen him kick the ball Out of Bounds on the Full 2x and generally be slow to move the ball forward. Physically looks capable, but if these are the highlights I am worried......then again its pick 61

bulldogtragic
06-10-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm surprised BT hasn't been on to start this thread!

Welcome aboard Zaine, bet he's a very happy young man now that it's finally done.
Rediculous. I can say that I was told from one of the highest people at the club that pick 25 was in fact genuinely on the table. Genuinely considered a straight swap for Higgins compo. I've just read this and it's day light robbery, crazy stuff. In-Zaine in the Brian will start up soon for bandwagon membership.

F'scary
06-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Just looked at his highlights package on the Club's website. Good hands.

w3design
06-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Looks a third tall type at AFL level, although Morris is the size of a third tall.
Real bargain at that pick

if you are looking at him now Remi I agree.

It really depends if he struggles to put on weight/muscle like his brother. If he doesn't certainly has the height, agility and skills to develop into a quality KPF

bulldogtragic
06-10-2014, 11:10 PM
if you are looking at him now Remi I agree.

It really depends if he struggles to put on weight/muscle like his brother. If he doesn't certainly has the height, agility and skills to develop into a quality KPF

I wouldn't want his agility effected by a weights program to try to make him a KPP. I love him in a more attacking role where he isn't too concerned by being big. He may get to 194cm or so, but he is good enough to play tall as required as he reads the play and can spoil well with his long arms without taking away strengthes because of thoughts about being a KPP. I hope we are not really expecting him to be a KPP.

w3design
06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't want his agility effected by a weights program to try to make him a KPP. I love him in a more attacking role where he isn't too concerned by being big. He may get to 194cm or so, but he is good enough to play tall as required as he reads the play and can spoil well with his long arms without taking away strengthes because of thoughts about being a KPP. I hope we are not really expecting him to be a KPP.
Not initially, but 4 pre season core and weight program's will build his strength so naturally may become a KPP. His brother struggled as he was really light for his height and the extra weight has changed all of his biomechanics. Zaine seems to have a more normal height to weight ratio for his age

bulldogtragic
06-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Not initially, but 4 pre season core and weight program's will build his strength so naturally may become a KPP. His brother struggled as he was really light for his height and the extra weight has changed all of his biomechanics. Zaine seems to have a more normal height to weight ratio for his age

For me it's not about Zaine being different to Ayce, if we load him up too much he loses agility and versatility. Like Lake going to the Hawks and telling him to drop 5kg instantly. Zaine is a little like Shaggy for me, he can play tall defender, but he's most value as a tall running rebounding player. The last thing I'd want is for him to be a KPP as I think we are short changing his potential, I just don't see KPP and I see a lot to like.

FrediKanoute
06-10-2014, 11:48 PM
I don't think he has the footskills to play the rebounding defender role. Nice hands yes, but his footskills are ok not elite

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 12:03 AM
I don't think he has the footskills to play the rebounding defender role. Nice hands yes, but his footskills are ok not elite

I'm in the minority, but I really like his kicking when he has time in particular. My scribbles 3 games prior to champs where I have his disposal at 70%+ when he was playing more rebounder. That doesn't mean anything under more pressure at the next level.

boydogs
07-10-2014, 12:06 AM
Zaine is a little like Shaggy for me, he can play tall defender, but he's most value as a tall running rebounding player.

Hargrave was notoriously bad against tall forwards, he didn't have the height or bulk to compete and so gave away free kicks.

Zaine has the reach to play tall, with a little more strength he could play on tall forwards and rebound as well. Think Dustin Fletcher.

lemmon
07-10-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm in the minority, but I really like his kicking when he has time in particular. My scribbles 3 games prior to champs where I have his disposal at 70%+ when he was playing more rebounder. That doesn't mean anything under more pressure at the next level.

What do you think of his decision making BT? From the very little I've seen there were a few times he panics, hesitates and second guesses with ball in hand, either shooting it long down the line or turning it over. Is it something that comes up in his game a bit or is he generally pretty good?

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Hargrave was notoriously bad against tall forwards, he didn't have the height or bulk to compete and so gave away free kicks.

Zaine has the reach to play tall, with a little more strength he could play on tall forwards and rebound as well. Think Dustin Fletcher.

Arms and spoiling like Dustin, but I'm not about KPP. When we started playing Shaggy as a rebounding player who coukd spurt playing tall we were better. I'd prefer to see Zaine in that role, just my preference on my perceptions of his performances I've watched this year.

always right
07-10-2014, 12:16 AM
Wow.....amazed that anybody can analyse a young players strengths and weaknesses from a short clip of games he's played in. Why not reserve judgement until you see him play with Footscray?

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 12:25 AM
What do you think of his decision making BT? From the very little I've seen there were a few times he panics, hesitates and second guesses with ball in hand, either shooting it long down the line or turning it over. Is it something that comes up in his game a bit or is he generally pretty good?

I missed his finals but others here I think have mentioned things similar to this in the finals. It's hard to say, I have blinkers and I've not questioned decision making too much. What I can say is I have a greater confidence when he is running through half back with handball receives and he sees the game in front of him. Teams seemed to want him take him deeper and that's why I'm hesitant about him being mentioned as a KPP against 200cm, 100kg men not 194cm kids. I think his ability to run and have the options already in his sights is a much better option. I'm thinking some solid time at Footscray will show how he goes with those issues when the speed and pressure increases. I like his game generally if you didn't pick that up.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2014, 12:28 AM
Wow.....amazed that anybody can analyse a young players strengths and weaknesses from a short clip of games he's played in. Why not reserve judgement until you see him play with Footscray?

I think a few of us have seen him play live on multiple occasions this year in TAC and/or champs?

lemmon
07-10-2014, 12:31 AM

Wasn't aware we shouldn't talk about draftees until they were in the system? We'd have significantly less to talk about this time of year

FrediKanoute
07-10-2014, 02:54 AM
I'll admit I watched the clip and that's all I have seen of the kid. I think anyone at pick 61 is a lottery, so if he fails no big deal (unless pick 62+ turns into a gun!). I guess what I found concerning is that the highlights package includes at least 2 clangers and didn't showcase a Gilbee like ability to thread a pass. I liked his marking, thought he used his height well and was able to work his body to get his opposition under the ball. I can't see him being a rebounding half back, but I think a Shaggy-clone is about right.

Maddog37
07-10-2014, 09:45 AM
To be fair, how many players have the ability to kick the ball like Lindsay? Very few from what I have seen........

Bulldog Revolution
07-10-2014, 10:41 AM
I can't see him being a rebounding half back, but I think a Shaggy-clone is about right.

Im not trying to disagree, but we are underplaying how elite a kick Hargrave was

Superb kick of a footy, No gilbee level, but then Gilbee was the top 1% ever to play IMO

LostDoggy
07-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Hard not to get excited by a highlights reel but he already looks like he can take a contested mark and read the play.

Sedat
07-10-2014, 11:53 AM
To be fair, how many players have the ability to kick the ball like Lindsay? Very few from what I have seen........
Think Darley might be the closest we've come to finding a quality distributor of the ball by foot in defence. Hopefully he is because we've wasted 5 years and a number of draft picks trying to find the next Gilbee.

Greystache
07-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Think Darley might be the closest we've come to finding a quality distributor of the ball by foot in defence. Hopefully he is because we've wasted 5 years and a number of draft picks trying to find the next Gilbee.

By foot potentially, he has shown good ability to hit a target by foot and get the ball to its destination quickly, even at times under pressure. Gilbee's strength as his peak was that he could also defend quite well, something that looks a real weakness for Darley. Hopefully it's a focus for him over the preseason and he shows improvement in this area.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-10-2014, 12:11 PM
By foot potentially, he has shown good ability to hit a target by foot and get the ball to its destination quickly, even at times under pressure. Gilbee's strength as his peak was that he could also defend quite well, something that looks a real weakness for Darley. Hopefully it's a focus for him over the preseason and he shows improvement in this area.

We will need both Cordy and Darley to step up with the careers of Morris Picken and Murphy rapidly coming to a close. Brian Cordy was a very capable half back for the Bulldogs and it appears that Zaine has the capabilities to emulate his Father's abilities.

The Pie Man
07-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Big concern - he looked vulnerable defending at VFL level in the finals. Needs to get much stronger in the contest.

Sedat
07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Yep, Gilbee was excellent defensively one-on-one, especially with his spoiling ability in a marking contest. He used to even take the resting ruckman on occasions and hardly ever got outmarked. Darley has the ability to become a real asset for us but he really needs to improve his one-on-one defensive work. Ditto JJ. You are a defender first and foremost and these guys need to keep improving that craft.

Greystache
07-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Yep, Gilbee was excellent defensively one-on-one, especially with his spoiling ability in a marking contest. He used to even take the resting ruckman on occasions and hardly ever got outmarked. Darley has the ability to become a real asset for us but he really needs to improve his one-on-one defensive work. Ditto JJ. You are a defender first and foremost and these guys need to keep improving that craft.

That's an area Harbrow was quite good in too. You're right, both JJ and Darley need to get better defensively to cover the holes Gilbee and Harbrow left.

hujsh
07-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Im not trying to disagree, but we are underplaying how elite a kick Hargrave was

Superb kick of a footy, No gilbee level, but then Gilbee was the top 1% ever to play IMO

Don't remember him being a great kick but this might just be my memory. He was definitely a long kick and he sure loved bombing the ball into the forward 50, but so did just about everyone at one point.

jeemak
07-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Don't remember him being a great kick but this might just be my memory. He was definitely a long kick and he sure loved bombing the ball into the forward 50, but so did just about everyone at one point.

He was quite tidy, though prone to semi-regular howlers that would result in bad turnovers and opposition scoring opportunities.

Twodogs
07-10-2014, 11:47 PM
He was quite tidy, though prone to semi-regular howlers that would result in bad turnovers and opposition scoring opportunities.

Was that more with his short kicks or the long bombs into the forward 50?

bulldogsman
08-10-2014, 03:19 PM
They needed to edit out the kicks out on the full and when he was caught holding the ball!!!

May have been looking at different highlights. The one off the website looked really good.

KT31
08-10-2014, 05:52 PM
May have been looking at different highlights. The one off the website looked really good.

The one i viewed had his first kick out on the full and mid way through he was pinged holding the ball.
Maybe it was the same one the other teams recruiters looked at and thought he wasn't for them.

mighty_west
08-10-2014, 05:55 PM
I was impressed (Watching his highlight video) with his reading of the play and one grab marking, especially with his long dangly arms.

F'scary
08-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Check this out, article today that rates Z Cordy as the 24th best available talent in the draft pool!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-07/phantom-form-guide-october-edition

F'scary
15-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Callum Twomey still rates Zaine Cordy in the top 30 draft prospects.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-14/phantom-draft-form-guide-november-update

bulldogtragic
15-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Callum Twomey still rates Zaine Cordy in the top 30 draft prospects.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-14/phantom-draft-form-guide-november-update

I heard that with Macca's son in the Falcons that Macca had a very close eye on Zaine this year and he was prepared to pay higher than we did. I Like what I've seen, I hope he gets to level I think he can.

BulldogBelle
16-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Check this out, article today that rates Z Cordy as the 24th best available talent in the draft pool!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-07/phantom-form-guide-october-edition

Well hopefully that works out a steal for us.

Bulldog Revolution
17-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Thats a sure sign we've forgotten how lethal a back line with Hargrave, Gilbee, Lake and Harbrow was in setting up play - all were great kicks

The Bulldogs Bite
17-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Thats a sure sign we've forgotten how lethal a back line with Hargrave, Gilbee, Lake and Harbrow was in setting up play - all were great kicks

Yep - it was a terrific backline.

The more I think about it, the loss of Harbrow was devastating. He wasn't and isn't an A grader, but he was crucial to the way we played given much of our attack often came from defense.

KT31
17-11-2014, 12:08 PM

You could also add in Smith, they all had great skills when under pressure.

Ghost Dog
18-11-2014, 02:14 AM

More than once, Gilbee kicked a ball and I thought it was a miss-kick as it seemed to go nowhere. Then someone led into the space beautifully and it dawned on you what he had done. Anyone else had this double take?

I get a bit excited by the father sons and hope Zaine can cope with it. He seems very agile and cool under pressure. Love the vids

Bulldog Revolution
18-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Yep - it was a terrific backline.

The more I think about it, the loss of Harbrow was devastating. He wasn't and isn't an A grader, but he was crucial to the way we played given much of our attack often came from defense.

Harbrow looked like becoming an A grader with us though, and the GC move set him back a bit - he just blended so well in our backline

It kind of goes without saying but losing Harbrow and Ward has hurt us enormously - particularly as our list was ageing

1eyedog
18-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Not sure about that. he almost always used his penetration to advantage but he was a dodgy field kick IMO. He could kick it 60 metres no problem, trouble was we rare had anyone on the end of it up forward.

Great player though and really effective one on one and as second man up.

Greystache
18-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Not sure about that. he almost always used his penetration to advantage but he was a dodgy field kick IMO. He could kick it 60 metres no problem, trouble was we rare had anyone on the end of it up forward.

Great player though and really effective one on one and as second man up.

Yep, It's a point that seems to get lost on a lot of our supporters. He was a long and straight kick, but he was a get it and bomb it long whenever there was a hint of pressure, type player. Many suppporters like that because they seem to think a long kick out of defence is something that the opposition somehow can't counter, whereas in today's game it's just transferring the pressure onto your team mates up the ground and in defence when it enevitably comes straight back.

Remi Moses
18-11-2014, 04:10 PM
The Gilbee type has been the most troublesome .
It's been a roll call to replace him.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Yep, It's a point that seems to get lost on a lot of our supporters. He was a long and straight kick, but he was a get it and bomb it long whenever there was a hint of pressure, type player. Many suppporters like that because they seem to think a long kick out of defence is something that the opposition somehow can't counter, whereas in today's game it's just transferring the pressure onto your team mates up the ground and in defence when it enevitably comes straight back.

It worked against inferior opposition, but it worked against us v St. Kilda and Geelong especially. The 09 PF Hargrave did this all too often.

Nevertheless, he was a good player.

Bulldog Revolution
18-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Not sure about that. he almost always used his penetration to advantage but he was a dodgy field kick IMO.

We will have to agree to disagree on this point.

He shanked the odd kick, but in my opinion he was elite field kick, able to set the play up, penetrating by foot, hit targets at a high clip. The suggestion that he just hoofed the ball long is in my opinion inaccurate.

1eyedog
18-11-2014, 05:42 PM

He shanked the odd kick, but in my opinion he was elite field kick, able to set the play up, penetrating by foot, hit targets at a high clip. The suggestion that he just hoofed the ball long is in my opinion inaccurate.

Elite field kick? You use the word elite liberally then.

Hodge, Gilbee, Suckling, Goddard even Bob are elite users of the ball. I think Hargrave's issue with field kicking was more around decision making than a lack of technique, even though he had a slightly stop and prop action.

Rocket Science
18-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Not sure I'd put Shaggy in the elite category by foot either, but he was deadly accurate by hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS3S3icYgdY

But I'm digressing ...

Twodogs
18-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Not sure I'd put Shaggy in the elite category by foot either, but he was deadly accurate by hand.

But I'm digressing ...

Got the right bloke too. Most blokes would have thought it was Baker.

bornadog
19-11-2014, 12:04 AM

But I'm digressing ...

He was a black belt in martial arts (can't remember which one)

Hotdog60
19-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Yes Shaggy always there for his teammates. :)

hujsh
19-11-2014, 12:23 AM

It was certainly more accurate the closer he got to the forward 50

w3design
19-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Got the right bloke too. Most blokes would have thought it was Baker.

Absolutely. I remember this putting a smile on my face for weeks....

Twodogs
19-11-2014, 03:49 PM
He was a black belt in martial arts (can't remember which one)

Jiu jitsu.

Ghost Dog
19-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Yes Shaggy always there for his teammates. :)

Nice bit of peroxide on shaggy there. But notice the leeches on Chris Grant. 4 on to 1. Typical Saint Kilda.

Axe Man
19-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Nice bit of peroxide on shaggy there. But notice the leeches on Chris Grant. 4 on to 1. Typical Saint Kilda.

I think that might have been Darcy? Grant did his knee in round 1 2003, missed the rest of the season, so unless he jumped the fence he probably wasn't involved.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2015, 09:37 PM
And we've done this season's start without Zaine... Amazing.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Zaine is back. Zaine is back. VFL this week after completing full contact training. Get on the bandwagon before its full up.

Hotdog60
11-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Zaine is back. Zaine is back. VFL this week after completing full contact training. Get on the bandwagon before its full up.

Guess who's back, back again
Zaine back, tell a friend
Guess who's back,
guess who's back,
guess who's back,
guess who's back
guess who's back
Guess who's back...

Now this looks like a job for BT so everybody just follow BT
'Cause we need a little controversy,
'Cause it feels so empty without BT

bulldogtragic
11-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Guess who's back, back again
Zaine back, tell a friend
Guess who's back,
guess who's back,
guess who's back,
guess who's back
guess who's back
Guess who's back...

Now this looks like a job for BT so everybody just follow BT
'Cause we need a little controversy,
'Cause it feels so empty without BT

My favourite post ever!!! :)

bornadog
27-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Good Luck Zaine on Saturday

Twodogs
27-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Go Zaine

bornadog
27-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Go Zaine

Straight to back pocket, no mucking around 8th debut for first gamers.

josie
27-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Congrats & Good Luck Zaine. Hope you drive the Roos insane with your flair and great defensive pressure.

bornadog
27-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Where is BT? Oh, I just heard he has collapsed and the ambulance is in attendance. :D:D

Remi Moses
27-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Best of luck to Z Cordy
BT's inconsolable with joy

bulldogtragic
27-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Two years watching him as a lanky kid. Hearing first hand reports from parents around the Falcons squad. Now this. 299 more ZAINE! Kill em ZAINE.

Twodogs
27-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Two years watching him as a lanky kid. Hearing first hand reports from parents around the Falcons squad. Now this. 299 more ZAINE! Kill em ZAINE.

How long ago did the bandwagon start up?

bulldogtragic
27-08-2015, 09:39 PM
How long ago did the bandwagon start up?

I just checked my PMs. I've got one from you on 21/09/2013 about starting it then with you as our loyal deputy. So nearly two years ago!! Good to get in early!!

Twodogs
27-08-2015, 11:26 PM
I just checked my PMs. I've got one from you on 21/09/2013 about starting it then with you as our loyal deputy. So nearly two years ago!! Good to get in early!!

El Genralissimo!

LostDoggy
28-08-2015, 02:32 AM
So who hands ZC the #12? The captain? Tommy Williams? Greg Eppulstun? Kym Koster?

Hope its filmed again. Love those presentations.

Twodogs
28-08-2015, 06:38 AM
So who hands ZC the #12? The captain? Tommy Williams? Greg Eppulstun? Kym Koster?

BT obviously.

bornadog
28-08-2015, 09:48 AM

Greg would be great he played 101 games for us.

bornadog
28-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Some details on Zaine:

Listed as 191cm and 83kg. I thought he was taller?

VFL Highlights

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-08-27/zaine-cordy-vfl-highlights

Mantis
28-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Good luck to him.. Think he might have a baptism of fire if he is asked to play on a taller/ stronger opponent, which I think he has to.

Mofra
28-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Really nervous about him having to play on a Petrie/Waite/Brown - good luck to him but surely we'd play Roberts if we were serious about structure as a dress rehearsal for the finals?

bulldogtragic
28-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Good luck to him.. Think he might have a baptism of fire if he is asked to play on a taller/ stronger opponent, which I think he has to.

Last year he was required to play on Peter Wright in red hot form 200cm and 102kg. His first half with support from team mates was excellent. When his team mates dropped off, Wright kicked 5 or 6 in the second half. I hope his team mates give him a very big chop out.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Really nervous about him having to play on a Petrie/Waite/Brown - good luck to him but surely we'd play Roberts if we were serious about structure as a dress rehearsal for the finals?

That's how I see it too. A really strange decision IMO - unless the club simply didn't want to risk bringing both Roughy and Roberts back the same week.

I do like what I've seen Zaine and wish him the best, excited to see him play.

Greystache
28-08-2015, 12:40 PM

As other have said I'm a bit confused by our approach. I would've thought this is the week to finalise the team for the finals, not debut new players. Having seen Morris struggle with the size of some of the tall forwards he's had to play on I cringe at the thought of a skinnier and less physical version of him making his debut on one of these guys.

Mantis
28-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Last year he was required to play on Peter Wright in red hot form 200cm and 102kg. His first half with support from team mates was excellent. When his team mates dropped off, Wright kicked 5 or 6 in the second half. I hope his team mates give him a very big chop out.

I think most of his team-mates will be busy enough with their own problems... Might be a bit of sink or swim for Zaine.

Will need serious help from forwards/ mids this week.

The Pie Man
28-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Congrats to Zaine, looking forward to what is hopefully a long and successful career.

This week however....oh boy - whose he most suited to? Physically it's probably Waite, though given his experience you'd probably rather Morris or Wood take him.

Even if he's grown from the last time he was measured at 1.91 (I suspect he is a wee bit taller than that) you'd think he's still too short to take Brown.

Head scratcher

stefoid
28-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Waite is like Josh Hill - its all about the leap. If you body him up hes helpless.

bornadog
28-08-2015, 03:59 PM

Tommy Williams presents the jumper:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-08-28/zaine-cordy-guernsey-presentation

Ozza
28-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Waite is like Josh Hill - its all about the leap. If you body him up hes helpless.

If only Zaine HAD a body.

LostDoggy
28-08-2015, 05:24 PM
For the record, Zaine becomes senior Bulldog #990.

He is the 5th Cordy of the last 2 generations to play seniors for Dogs; after brother Ayce (#956, 27 games to date), father Brian (#708, 124 games) and uncles Neil (#680, 139 games) and Graeme (#757, 6 games). A further uncle, Roger, also played for Footscray but never scored a senior game.

Amazing family history.

Axe Man
28-08-2015, 05:30 PM
For the record, Zaine becomes senior Bulldog #990.

He is the 5th Cordy of the last 2 generations to play seniors for Dogs; after brother Ayce (#956, 27 games to date), father Brian (#708, 124 games) and uncles Neil (#680, 139 games) and Graeme (#757, 6 games). A further uncle, Roger, also played for Footscray but never scored a senior game.

Amazing family history.

In 20 or 30 years time I look forward to Ayce's son Jordy and Zaine's son Gordy running around for the Bulldogs.

The bulldog tragician
28-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Ayce and Zaine both playing in the same season means we have now unveiled the full spectrum: the A-Z of Cordys.

Remi Moses
28-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Gosh I hope Tommy W hasn't handed over the injury curse with the jumper.
All seriousness,love those presentations .
Terry Wheeler's one was brilliant

Bulldog4life
29-08-2015, 02:15 AM
Go the Zaney one. Congrats Zaine. Big call.

LostDoggy
29-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Well done and congrats Zaine,
Hope you have a great game today and plant your foot right into the kidney's of that putrid Waite!! ;)

bornadog
29-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Tommy Williams presents the jumper:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-08-28/zaine-cordy-guernsey-presentation

Tom Williams’ advice to Zaine Cordy ahead of his debut

“Play like you have nothing to lose…”

Eastdog
29-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Good luck Zaine Cordy. The excitement is growing hour by hour for BT :D

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 12:02 AM
" He didn't kick a goal with his first kick in footy, but that defensive action when he laid that tackle in our forward 50 and we got a goal from it, that's as crucial a touch as any first gamer's ever had."

Luke Beveridge on Zaine Cordy.

comrade
30-08-2015, 12:19 AM
" He didn't kick a goal with his first kick in footy, but that defensive action when he laid that tackle in our forward 50 and we got a goal from it, that's as crucial a touch as any first gamer's ever had."

Luke Beveridge on Zaine Cordy.

Absolutely crunched Higgins. Loved it.

All the boys got around him afterwards.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2015, 12:22 AM
Absolutely crunched Higgins. Loved it.

All the boys got around him afterwards.

Should've been paid holding the ball and had a first kick, first goal option. His tackling was one of the standout things I loved about his junior footy, he just crunches blokes and makes every tackle count.

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 12:26 AM
I love players who tackle like they enjoy it and want their opponent to feel it.

Libba Snr will always be king.

comrade
30-08-2015, 12:32 AM
Should've been paid holding the ball and had a first kick, first goal option. His tackling was one of the standout things I loved about his junior footy, he just crunches blokes and makes every tackle count.

He also nullified a few contests and was clean with ball in hand for his first possession. Pretty nice start, IMO.

Will he play a full game next week?

Bulldog4life
30-08-2015, 12:39 AM
He also nullified a few contests and was clean with ball in hand for his first possession. Pretty nice start, IMO.

Yes I believe he will

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 12:42 AM

I reckon so.

You'd think a few of the core players who have been up a long time will get the week off next week and a number of younger types like ZC will get a final chance to impress for a finals spot.

Should be great to watch.

bornadog
03-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Hopefully plays a full game this week.

azabob
02-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Has signed a contract extension till end of 2018.

bulldogtragic
02-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Has signed a contract extension till end of 2018.

I put that down to me. Great news.

Webby
02-02-2016, 09:34 PM
I saw him a couple of weeks ago, and I swear he's grown a couple of inches.

Secondly, this Cordy has the goods. He can really play. He and Hunter are the two smokey Father/Sons we needed.

F'scary
02-02-2016, 09:36 PM
He has a bit of the mongrel in the way he attacks the ball and the opposition. @Like.

F'scary
02-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Or is that meant to be #Like?

bulldogtragic
02-02-2016, 09:43 PM
I saw him a couple of weeks ago, and I swear he's grown a couple of inches.

Secondly, this Cordy has the goods. He can really play. He and Hunter are the two smokey Father/Sons we needed.

In a TAC game 2 years ago, the Falcons were 5-6 goals down in the last quarter. Zaine won it, from full back mind you, off his own boot (repeat gut running, tackling and hand balling too). That's one of the best quarters of footy I've seen at TAC level. He's going to be a hell of a player if he reaches his potential and he's got at least 3 years to do it. If he has grown taller then he's the all round defensive package to play on talls but I love, love, love his counter attacking footy and running especially for such a big bloke. To think we picked him up for 72 or whatever it was when BMac told a group of us at a function he was happy enough to see us use the Higgo compo (pick 27) on him if pushed to do so after watching him very closely for several years. #winning

bulldogtragic
02-02-2016, 09:47 PM
He has a bit of the mongrel in the way he attacks the ball and the opposition. @Like.

His tackling was a standout feature imo as a junior. He has arms which look too long for his body which is good for spoiling, but good for wrapping up blokes and he likes to make them count. I can't wait to see him mature physically and then whether Bevo sees him more as an attacking tall and rebounding defender or more lock down.

Remi Moses
02-02-2016, 09:48 PM
I thought we weren't going to be able to keep our young blokes ?

ratsmac
02-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Good news. Hopefully he can put some muscles on his light frame.

The Adelaide Connection
02-02-2016, 11:09 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet, it's a short documentary on Zaine that was seemingly made as a Year 12 project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk5bIQnTJzw

boydogs
02-02-2016, 11:19 PM
In a TAC game 2 years ago, the Falcons were 5-6 goals down in the last quarter. Zaine won it, from full back mind you, off his own boot (repeat gut running, tackling and hand balling too). That's one of the best quarters of footy I've seen at TAC level. He's going to be a hell of a player if he reaches his potential and he's got at least 3 years to do it. If he has grown taller then he's the all round defensive package to play on talls but I love, love, love his counter attacking footy and running especially for such a big bloke. To think we picked him up for 72 or whatever it was when BMac told a group of us at a function he was happy enough to see us use the Higgo compo (pick 27) on him if pushed to do so after watching him very closely for several years. #winning

Freo bid 51 & we used 62

jeemak
03-02-2016, 01:32 AM

Only thing Bmac might have gotten right if push came to shove, eh BT!

To your following point about his tackling, it's interesting to note Bev regarded his impact in his debut game as being defined by his first notable tackling act.

He's got a long way to go, and a significant amount of competition to beat to earn a spot in the coming years.

We're in a good place on that front.

jazzadogs
03-02-2016, 07:08 AM
Not sure if this has been posted yet, it's a short documentary on Zaine that was seemingly made as a Year 12 project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk5bIQnTJzw

A film by BT Productions??? Hmmmm

Twodogs
03-02-2016, 12:16 PM
I know he's big but I would be a little hesitant to tie him to an opponent in tge backline. We want this kid running and kicking the ball.

Greystache
03-02-2016, 12:46 PM
I know he's big but I would be a little hesitant to tie him to an opponent in tge backline. We want this kid running and kicking the ball.

Brian Lake was pretty effective doing both. If he's got the talent to do it I don't see a problem. I still can't see him playing on any of the big guys, I saw him just before Xmas and he's very skinny, so there'll be an expectation he'll be up and down the ground anyway.