PDA

View Full Version : Adam Cooney: Up for trade ?

Jeanette54
08-10-2014, 09:30 AM
From AFL.COM.AU

Cooney's name raised
Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney was part of discussions between Carlton and the Western Bulldogs.

The Age reports of a deal that would see Cooney, Dogs' teammate Liam Jones and the club's third-round pick (No.45) exchanged for the Blues' second-round pick, No.28.

It would mean the Dogs would have four picks inside the top 30 (6, 26, 27 and 28) in what is viewed as a strong draft pool.

Cooney signed a two-year contract with the Bulldogs last year and will again be eligible for free agency at the end of the 2015 season.

I would have thought a very poor reward for the years of struggling to play on a painful and dodgy knee.

Following our inability to get any deal done thus far lets not sacrifice a true son of the club in order to save someones face at the trade table.

Keep Adam at the Bulldogs I say. And while we are at it obviously Liam Jones doesn't have to much appeal as a trade option, so maybe we should be keeping him as well (if in fact we can).

always right
08-10-2014, 09:40 AM
With a heavy heart, I've come to the realisation that this is an opportunity for us as a club to set ourselves up for the next decade on the back of some pretty astute drafting the last couple of years.

After initial disappointment I'm now comfortable with Jones moving on and as much as I have loved Cooney over his career, the fact is his best is long gone, he is unlikely to be part of our next finals campaign and we should get the best deal possible while we can. That may simply mean getting another draft pick we can use to as part of a deal to get us higher in the draft.

We may look back at this year's trading/drafting period in the future and identify it as the major turning point for our club in its quest for a second premiership.

ledge
08-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Shit deal if that's what we take .. 3 players one a brownlow medallist to move up only 17 spots.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Depends if that move up 17 places can be used to get closer to the front of the draft and maybe snare McCartin ir Wright.

Maddog37
08-10-2014, 09:58 AM
If we don't trade him we need to extend his contract.

chef
08-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Shit deal if that's what we take .. 3 players one a brownlow medallist to move up only 17 spots.

His Brownlow medal form is long gone though. Hes barely a best 22 player for us moving forward.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Whilst I see the logic in moving him on, this will hurt... Even if we get a decent deal for him it will still hurt.

craigsahibee
08-10-2014, 10:21 AM
It's the nature of the beast isn't it. We have been guilty in the past of holding onto our stars, and as Maddog37 says, if we don't trade him, we need to extend his contract or he walks for nothing at the end of next year because by that time, the AFL will probably scrap FA compensation when it should be our turn to capitalise on it.

4 picks inside the top 30 is ok, but when 3 of those are 26,27 and 28, it is not as appealing as it sounds. I hope Dalrymple knows what he's doing.

bornadog
08-10-2014, 10:27 AM
His Brownlow medal form is long gone though. Hes barely a best 22 player for us moving forward.

Sometimes there is more to a team/club than just 30 disposals per week.

chef
08-10-2014, 10:35 AM
And who's saying there's not?

Im sue we have got a good enough reason if we are looking to move him on.

Jeanette54
08-10-2014, 10:38 AM

I totally agree, could not have put it better.

Adam is very definitely in our current best 22, and his contribution is way beyond mere stats.

chef
08-10-2014, 10:43 AM

Adam is very definitely in our current best 22, and his contribution is way beyond mere stats.

But if we are looking to trade him maybe the MC see differently.

And seriously no one is saying his value/contribution is from stats, why are people making this up and adding it to their argument

ledge
08-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Sometimes clubs look after players even in trade .. Maybe we sat down with Coons and said look your on this amount this year and its the last year of your contract or we can look after you get you a longer contract and more money at another club are you interested, it helps you out and helps us get a player who can go another ten years.
.. It's a business now and loyalty can be found in other ways than just staying at one club .. Look at Cross we let him go for free, he has extended his career by at least 2 years and its been a positive for Melbourne, us and Daniel , okay he was upset at the start but I'm sure he now sees the light and is greatful it happened.
Lake was another .. He didn't get in with the coach but in affect he looked after the club when he left and we looked after him.

ledge
08-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Cooney has been a great stalwart at the club through thick and thin he has served us well and if both us and him can come out on top in a deal and both are happy why wouldn't you do it?

jeemak
08-10-2014, 11:12 AM

Have you considered the distinct possibility that this is something that Adam hasn't come to realise over the last year or so, and forms the very basis for why we're looking to move him on?

1eyedog
08-10-2014, 11:13 AM
We need to get what we can for Cooney now and we should have done this with Boyd last year. This is our only chance and it seems the club recognize this. I'll remember Cooney fondly as a club champion but I'll remember the extended run at the finals we had from a bunch of A graders over an extended period of time rather than how we nursed our vets through the last year of their careers more.

Sedat
08-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Sound logic, extremely poor trade. Jones should almost command pick 28 on his own, and we are prepared to throw in Coons and our pick 45 as well?? There's generous and then there's simply ridiculous. We are the Anti-Dodoro.

Torpedo
08-10-2014, 11:15 AM
It's not about Cooney in 2014 or 2015! It's the next 3 -10 years we are planning for. If we hold on to him for another year he is a FA. Lets do a good deal now. His dodgy knee has cruelled him. Has become a cameo player for mine. Still capable of the individual brilliant act but no game winner. He won't be around in 4 years time when hopefully we are in the window. If we can trade him to a club where he may be more useful and while he has some currency, then its a good decision for the club and Adam. AFL is a business, players are professional eg.The AFLPU pushed for FA. Supporters invest emotionally in players. I get that. But we also want club success ie premierships and there has to be a cost or a more ruthless club will benefit from our weakness.
If we are serious about culture change and premiership success then these are the deals that need to be done. For all of my 60 years, this club I love has been too nice/soft and we have seen the lack of results and loss of great players for little or no return. Time to get smart, get our hands dirty and use the trade period wisely.The club employs staff to get the list that will deliver success. I'm prepared to back hard decisions that deliver a good return. Planning for longer term goal has to take priority over individuals no matter how loved they are. That's the price of team success. I'm willing to pay it (with the obvious proviso that good trades are made).

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2014, 11:17 AM
I'm not against the idea of trading Cooney, in fact I say do it.
But why is this trade with Carlton the only possibility being discussed?
Plenty of teams in finals mode would love to have an explosive line breaking goal kicking midfielder.
Granted he can't do it all game like he used to, but still.......... he's worth a lot more than this pathetic scenario with Carlton would get us.

AT LEAST DANGLE HIM OUT THERE FOR A BETTER BITE FOR A WHILE. Richmond, Norf, Even the Cats might have a crack.

1eyedog
08-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Sound logic, extremely poor trade. Jones should almost command pick 28 on his own, and we are prepared to throw in Coons and our pick 45 as well?? There's generous and then there's simply ridiculous. We are the Anti-Dodoro.

Your over-inflating their value. We're talking about a bloke who can't get a run in a senior team with no KPF and another bloke on one knee with one year left. I'd like more than pick 28 but it sounds pretty bloody good when you weigh up what Jones and Cooney offer moving forward.

Jones and pick 28 is ludicrous. You're saying that Jones has the same trade value as Crameri?

ledge
08-10-2014, 11:21 AM
If we trade to lower clubs we get better draft picks, Carlton have picks in the range we want they are interested so do it.
Tutt jones and Cooney to Carlton at this stage, I've no idea where they are aiming at, two players in the system a long time who couldn't get games in a lowly side and an old champ with a bung knee that could go anytime.

1eyedog
08-10-2014, 11:24 AM
I posted this in another thread but should probably post it here given the thread title.

We upgraded our Lake compensation for pick 21 and got a 10 year player - I'm not sure we got bugger all for him. I'm wrapped with how it worked out for us and I think the club was too. I'm happy to trade Cooney out - he'll be 30 next year with the knee of 60 year old. Boyd also should have been traded last year while he still had some currency. We need to move up the draft order and / or increase our options at both the trade / draft table at every opportunity. Both Cooney and Boyd provide / provided an opportunity to do that. Pick 28 for Cooney and Jones is ok for me although I'd prefer more but this is our last chance to get something for Cooney. Jones is not in our best 22 and Cooney may have one year left - what's there to lose exactly?

If we are concerned about the fabric / culture of the club and not trading away champions well that philosophy to me is one of the main reasons why we haven't won a premiership. Times have changed and I think Macca is now seeing things differently and making big calls. For mine, I'd rather have an extended run at a premiership with a bunch of quality 10 year players than slowly nurse our vets through the last 1-2 years of their career. If someone can make better use of Cooney in their window (and I have absolutely no idea why Carlton are interested in him to be honest) then we need to do it. In 10 years time what will we remember? That we traded a 29 year old player on one knee or the extended run we had at the finals because we were smart with our trading? We need to get the players we need who are in the same age profile so we give them not only an opportunity to play finals together but have an extended run at them like Geelong and Hawthorn have.

I'm getting old and sick and tired of not playing Grand Final footy - let's do it.

Sedat
08-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Your over-inflating their value. We're talking about a bloke who can't get a run in a senior team with no KPF and another bloke on one knee with one year left. I'd like more than pick 28 but it sounds pretty bloody good when you weigh up what Jones and Cooney offer moving forward.

Jones and pick 28 is ludicrous. You're saying that Jones has the same trade value as Crameri?
Shaun Hampson got pick 28 on his own last year. Pick 28 for Jones is not ridiculous - his true worth on his own would be a pick in the 30's.

I could possibly live with Coons and Jones for pick 28, as Coons really has little or no trade value, but throwing in our pick 45 as a sweetener is just completely over-generous.

stefoid
08-10-2014, 11:28 AM

'Almost' is the word there. Its likely Carlton will turn it down anyway.
Coons is worth whatever other clubs are prepared to pay for him, which apparently is hardly anything.
What is it worth to us to clear his salary and list position, and free up a spot in the midfield for a younger, fitter mid?

I think its highly likely we are building a warchest for next year to 'do a sydney' when a number of key forwards come out of contract. Someone durable, hopefully.

Cyberdoggie
08-10-2014, 11:37 AM
We need to move him on while we can, but that isn't a fair deal in my opinion.

Greystache
08-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Have you considered the distinct possibility that this is something that Adam hasn't come to realise over the last year or so, and forms the very basis for why we're looking to move him on?

Exactly. It's staggering how quickly some people have overlooked this.

Sedat
08-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Coons is worth whatever other clubs are prepared to pay for him, which apparently is hardly anything.
What is it worth to us to clear his salary and list position, and free up a spot in the midfield for a younger, fitter mid?

I think its highly likely we are building a warchest for next year to 'do a sydney' when a number of key forwards come out of contract. Someone durable, hopefully.
Don't disagree with your logic but there's no need to add a sweetener to this deal with the exchange of our 3rd rounder. We don't seem to value draft picks anywhere near enough.

stefoid
08-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Are there any clubs interested in doing a fair trade? its us that are shopping Coons, not the other way around. Its pretty difficult to play hardball when you are in that position, unfortunately.

With the draft picks, has anyone done the math? Do we use a third rounder in the draft if we have one 1st, 3 seconds + Cordy?

Ozza
08-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Cooney could definitely still be a very useful player - but not in the style of game that we generally play.

When we had an absolute shoot out with St.Kilda, he was quite brilliant, but in games that are played not at breakneck speed/highly uncontested - I think he struggles.

I think Cooney would be more value to another club than ours. It would be sad to see him go - but the midfield is quite deep with Libba, Griffen, Macrae, Boyd, Stevens, Wallis, Smith, Hrovat, Bontempelli - plus a range of forward/mids. Cooney as a forward hasn't ever really worked, and he doesn't kick the ball well enough to play half back effectively.

I don't really want to see a bulldog Brownlow medalist go....but can see some logical list management in the potential decision making.

bornadog
08-10-2014, 11:47 AM

This is what he said last year when signing a two year contract:

"I wasn't close at all," he said. "I've said all along I wanted to stay at the footy club - it's the place that gave me my start. I've been here for 10 years, I'm rapt to sign on for another two and hopefully be a Bulldog for life."

bornadog
08-10-2014, 11:53 AM
I posted this in another thread but should probably post it here given the thread title.

We upgraded our Lake compensation for pick 21 and got a 10 year player - I'm not sure we got bugger all for him. I'm wrapped with how it worked out for us and I think the club was too. I'm happy to trade Cooney out - he'll be 30 next year with the knee of 60 year old. Boyd also should have been traded last year while he still had some currency. We need to move up the draft order and / or increase our options at both the trade / draft table at every opportunity. Both Cooney and Boyd provide / provided an opportunity to do that. Pick 28 for Cooney and Jones is ok for me although I'd prefer more but this is our last chance to get something for Cooney. Jones is not in our best 22 and Cooney may have one year left - what's there to lose exactly?

If we are concerned about the fabric / culture of the club and not trading away champions well that philosophy to me is one of the main reasons why we haven't won a premiership. Times have changed and I think Macca is now seeing things differently and making big calls. For mine, I'd rather have an extended run at a premiership with a bunch of quality 10 year players than slowly nurse our vets through the last 1-2 years of their career. If someone can make better use of Cooney in their window (and I have absolutely no idea why Carlton are interested in him to be honest) then we need to do it. In 10 years time what will we remember? That we traded a 29 year old player on one knee or the extended run we had at the finals because we were smart with our trading? We need to get the players we need who are in the same age profile so we give them not only an opportunity to play finals together but have an extended run at them like Geelong and Hawthorn have.

I'm getting old and sick and tired of not playing Grand Final footy - let's do it.

What I am sick of is we keep players like Fuller, Pearce on the list and players like Jones and Cooney people are happy to let go.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2014, 12:01 PM
What I am sick of is we keep players like Fuller, Pearce on the list and players like Jones and Cooney people are happy to let go.

Exactly. One never knows when a 1996 debacle turns into a 1997 near fairy tale. One thing is certain, losing players that can make that happen while holding onto list cloggers makes it near impossible. I think we're glossing over the fact that 4 players we wanted to keep, all high draft picks, look to be walking out of the club. Last year we were saying the Lions were a basket case because 5 talented players jumped ship. Something is not right, I'm not sure exactly what.

stefoid
08-10-2014, 12:01 PM
OK, did the math:

young, goodes, howard, gia, williams, higgins, jones, cooney, tutt = 9 out.
jong, cordy + mooted 1x1 + 3x2 picks = 6.

So 3rd rounder defiantely useful, even if we end up upgrading Redpath and Austin.

1eyedog
08-10-2014, 12:09 PM

But really they are pretty cheap to maintain aren't they? Jones and Cooney would be on far bigger coin. I agree that we need to make a decision on Fuller and Pearce and I'm not adverse to cutting them now even though we seem to have freed up a number of spots on the list.

jeemak
08-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Exactly. One never knows when a 1996 debacle turns into a 1997 near fairy tale. One thing is certain, losing players that can make that happen while holding onto list cloggers makes it near impossible. I think we're glossing over the fact that 4 players we wanted to keep, all high draft picks, look to be walking out of the club. Last year we were saying the Lions were a basket case because 5 talented players jumped ship. Something is not right, I'm not sure exactly what.

Which four high draft picks are you referring to?

Cooney and Higgins were high draft picks, sure. Jones and Tutt who were not high draft picks are leaving a bottom four side after hardly being able to get a game.

Hot_Doggies
08-10-2014, 12:13 PM

Higgins didn't walk out, we offered him 2yrs on average money and forced him to look elsewhere.

Smart move by the club IMHO.

Tutt is a fringe player.

Jones has talent, but may never reach AFL standard. Prefer to keep him but these things happen.

Cooney is almost buggered. Not great defensively and wouldn't surprise me if he was a bit 'Brian Lake' around the club.

Club hasn't put a foot wrong so far in the offseason. (So far)

jeemak
08-10-2014, 12:16 PM
This is what he said last year when signing a two year contract:

Which says to me we want to move Adam along (notwithstanding my expectation Cooney would of course say something like that on the day he signed a contract extension).

I'm keeping an open mind BAD.

1eyedog
08-10-2014, 12:19 PM

Pearce and Fuller have zero currency. Jones and Cooney have some and that's the difference. If we were struggling to free spaces I would agree entirely - I'm pretty certain Fuller will not amount to anything.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 12:28 PM

...and Brisbane turned what looked like being an exodus into one of the best single team draft combinations in recent memory. They've potentially added at least half of those boys as ten+ year players. Why can this opportunity not be the same for us?

ledge
08-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Once trade period is over we might cut ones we couldn't trade.

Bulldog Joe
08-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Once trade period is over we might cut ones we couldn't trade.

I would think it is a case of WILL cut after the trade period.

always right
08-10-2014, 12:54 PM
The Age article suggests Cooney is comfortable about the possibility of moving elsewhere. The fact that he joined the Hawthorn players's premiership celebration the day after may also sugest that he might see the merits in a move similar to the one his mate Brian made.

KT31
08-10-2014, 12:57 PM
The Age article suggests Cooney is comfortable about the possibility of moving elsewhere. The fact that he joined the Hawthorn players's premiership celebration the day after may also sugest that he might see the merits in a move similar to the one his mate Brian made.

Not going to happen if he goes to the Blues.

Ozza
08-10-2014, 01:00 PM

It might also just suggest that he wanted to celebrate with his mate...as he did the year before!

Jeanette54
08-10-2014, 01:16 PM
This is what he said last year when signing a two year contract

"I wasn't close at all," he said. "I've said all along I wanted to stay at the footy club - it's the place that gave me my start. I've been here for 10 years, I'm rapt to sign on for another two and hopefully be a Bulldog for life.":

"Strong, bold, cheeky, proud and loyal.

Adam has demonstrated all of the qualities espoused in the marketing of our logo. I think we owe him the same.

If, by chance, he truly wanted to go I would be only to pleased to wish him all the best for his future, and thank him for the pleasure and service he has given over the years.

If its not something he wants then it doesn't sit well with me.

There is a lot to say for being a one club player. If you don't believe this ask Douggie Hawkins.

azabob
08-10-2014, 01:21 PM
GWS also interested in Cooney according to SEN.

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2014, 01:25 PM

Now we're talkin'

Dry Rot
08-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Now we're talkin'

Is Cooney mates with Ward?

Cyberdoggie
08-10-2014, 01:44 PM
"Strong, bold, cheeky, proud and loyal.

Adam has demonstrated all of the qualities espoused in the marketing of our logo. I think we owe him the same.

If, by chance, he truly wanted to go I would be only to pleased to wish him all the best for his future, and thank him for the pleasure and service he has given over the years.

If its not something he wants then it doesn't sit well with me.

There is a lot to say for being a one club player. If you don't believe this ask Douggie Hawkins.

Sounds like he wants to leave to me. Don't think he's happy to spend his remaining years with a side in development, and with a coach he seems to have some issues with.

Like his best mate Brian i think he is seeing that the grass might be greener on the other side.

Personally i think Cooney hasn't given us much in several years, he is a senior player but has never had a role in the leadership group, and we are struggling to find a role for him with his declining fitness. Without his run and burst speed he offers nothing defensively, struggles as a half back and a half forward, goes missing for large chunks of the game. As much as i enjoy watching him at his best we need to be tough and ruthless to succeed. No more worshiping of individuals over the team, it has to stop for this club to taste success, and if trading Cooney will get us another top kid like Lake did for Hrovat, then i'm all for it.

How many years has Cooney realistically got left? 2? 3 max, each will be of a lesser output than the one before it.
The problem with senior players is if you drop them to the reserves it destabilizes the team. Senior players don't want to be running around in the reserves, certainly not guys like Cooney and if he's not going to help us win the next flag then we need to move him on now.

1eyedog
08-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Now we're talkin'

Yep what have they got that we want?

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Pick 4?

Remi Moses
08-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Good lord there's a few in here need to cut the umbilical cord

I understand there's an emotional attachment and all that, but let's do what's best for the club .
The supporters deserve a shot at a long term investment in winning a flag, and although I think the trade's to heavily swayed in their favour.

Scorlibo
08-10-2014, 02:10 PM
If we traded 45 and Jones for pick 27, we'd be being shortchanged. Add in Cooney and that's just charity. We'd want to be looking at a first round pick in return for that package in my opinion.

lemmon
08-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Good lord there's a few in here need to cut the umbilical cord

I understand there's an emotional attachment and all that, but let's do what's best for the club .
The supporters deserve a shot at a long term investment in winning a flag, and although I think the trade's to heavily swayed in their favour.
To be packaged with a promising key forward for a 17 pick upgrade? I have no problems letting him go if he wants out but that offer is nothing short of insulting

stefoid
08-10-2014, 02:14 PM

We just need Richmond to come into the mix now...

stefoid
08-10-2014, 02:15 PM
To be packaged with a promising key forward for a 17 pick upgrade? I have no problems letting him go if he wants out but that offer is nothing short of insulting

Who made the offer though, them or us?

lemmon
08-10-2014, 02:16 PM

Unless they are going to offer him silly dollars, I think the chances of him uprooting his young family and pulling his kids out of school to go to Western Sydney are slim to none

lemmon
08-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Who made the offer though, them or us?

Going by how seemingly one-sided it is I'd hope it came from them...if it was us I have serious qualms about the ability of our management at the trade table

1eyedog
08-10-2014, 02:29 PM

That's all he will ever be. He was playing Ressies for the entire second half of the year in a team with no KPF FFS!

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Interest.

Twodogs
08-10-2014, 02:35 PM

Don't think so DR. Sam Reid was Ward's bestie and we already sent him up there.

Sedat
08-10-2014, 02:38 PM
They will now - we've showed our hand to them. I'd rather we try to convince Jones to stay with the club after trade period and risk losing him in the PSD or ND for nothing. If pick 28 nets us Jones and Cooney without any further sweeteners (as you rightly point out, our 3rd rounder will be needed by us on draft day), that's kind-of acceptable and does put us in a powerful trading position in 12 months' time. I just think we are being far too accommodating to Carlton with the mooted scenario.

bornadog
08-10-2014, 02:45 PM
They will now - we've showed our hand to them. I'd rather we try to convince Jones to stay with the club after trade period and risk losing him in the PSD or ND for nothing. If pick 28 nets us Jones and Cooney without any further sweeteners (as you rightly point out, our 3rd rounder will be needed by us on draft day), that's kind-of acceptable and does put us in a powerful trading position in 12 months' time. I just think we are being far too accommodating to Carlton with the mooted scenario.

I cannot see why Carlton would want Cooney.

Murphy'sLore
08-10-2014, 02:46 PM
I cannot see why we'd want Lonergan.

Strange time of year. I hate trade week. And yet I can't look away...

Sedat
08-10-2014, 02:48 PM
I cannot see why Carlton would want Cooney.
He has absolutely starred against them in the past - the old Daniel Bandy trading rule. Using the same rule, maybe we can tempt them with Jarrad Grant as well ;)

bornadog
08-10-2014, 03:04 PM
He has absolutely starred against them in the past - the old Daniel Bandy trading rule. Using the same rule, maybe we can tempt them with Jarrad Grant as well ;)

Now I know you are joking. :D

Sedat
08-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Now I know you are joking. :D
Grant kicked a bag of 5 and was BOG when we beat them late last year. That's when some of us (myself included) were hailing his impending coming of age, which of course amounted to 2/5ths of bugger all this year.

Dogmatic
08-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Although Cooney has been a good player, he is not a leader or a heart and soul player, therefore, as he approaches 30 with a dodgy knee, what value does he offer us? I'm okay to see him go.

stefoid
08-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Playing devil's advocate, but a lot depends on what we intend to do with the 3rd rounder or 2nd rounder respectively.

Do we have a player in mind at 26->28 who wont be there in the late 30s? Do we have other players in mind like Prudden who are effectively invisible so we could use a 5th rounder on them just as easy as a 3rd?

Are we hatching a trade deal that requires an extra 2nd rounder?

Not saying any of the above is true, but value is a slippery term.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 05:50 PM
As much as it will hurt us hearing opposition fans chant "COOONS" - it is logical for us to let him go.
He is 29, regressing and will now most likely leave next year as a free agent.
It will be short term pain for longer term gain.
The advantages of trading him for a pick outweigh the disadvantages....

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 06:45 PM
As much as it will hurt us hearing opposition fans chant "COOONS" - it is logical for us to let him go.
He is 29, regressing and will now most likely leave next year as a free agent.
It will be short term pain for longer term gain.
The advantages of trading him for a pick outweigh the disadvantages....

What makes you think he will leave as free agent?

If he wants to stay and we trade him for nothing we lose. Whats the point.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 06:57 PM

I don't know whether to laugh or not? We are reaching now.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 07:00 PM
What makes you think he will leave as free agent?

If he wants to stay and we trade him for nothing we lose. Whats the point.

Rooner17...After being shopped around like he has this week and lets not kid ourselves, he has been shopped around by us, I cant see him doing us a favour next year and staying....Cant imagine he would be enjoying all this....Interesting that no one has came out and said "He is a required player and is not going anywhere", you dont think this would be pissing him off just a little bit?

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Absolutely and some of the tripe he is reading from some supporters for sure. But it doesn't mean he will leave next year because of it.

chef
08-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Maybe it's him pushing for a trade.

EasternWest
08-10-2014, 07:22 PM

Callan Ward :).

Webby
08-10-2014, 07:37 PM

Great point. This notion that all players are desperate to stay with us is misplaced. If Hawthorn offered Cooney a 2 year contract tomorrow, I reckon he'd crawl there!!

It's a 2 way street. Cooney might be thankful that, with 2 years at most left, he might get a chance to do a Brian Lake at another club. We need to stop thinking of trades as an insult to everyone.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Great point. This notion that all players are desperate to stay with us is misplaced. If Hawthorn offered Cooney a 2 year contract tomorrow, I reckon he'd crawl there!!

It's a 2 way street. Cooney might be thankful that, with 2 years at most left, he might get a chance to do a Brian Lake at another club. We need to stop thinking of trades as an insult to everyone.

Well said Webby, couldn't agree more.

GVGjr
08-10-2014, 07:44 PM
There seems to be a lot of angst and panic about the media speculation that we are shopping around Adam Cooney and this supposed package deal with Cooney, Jones and a draft pick going to Carlton.

My view is that until we hear a player manager or the club comes out and confirm this then it's not something to get worked up about.

12 months ago I read post after post about how Essendon were going to screw us over and how Garlick, J-McCartney and Dalrymple would fold to Essendon over the Crameri trade and yet our stated position never altered and we got the deal done.

I think sometimes we are just too quick to imagine the worst case scenario and discredit the club.

I'll have a closer look at the rumors floating around and see what makes sense but the media has 24 hours a day to conjure up plausible trade scenario's to drum up some traffic but I'd prefer to wait until I hear something a bit more creditable.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 07:46 PM

If wants to go then I have absolutely no problem trying to get the best offer. But Chef I would strongly doubt it's him wanting to go anywhere.

chef
08-10-2014, 07:52 PM
If wants to go then I have absolutely no problem trying to get the best offer. But Chef I would strongly doubt it's him wanting to go anywhere.

Nowadays I don't doubt anything when it comes to professional footballers, especially ones nearly the end of their careers.

ledge
08-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Yeah but it's not hawthorn it's Carlton who are worse than us !

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Nowadays I don't doubt anything when it comes to professional footballers, especially ones nearly the end of their careers.

He wouldn't get offered anymore than two years elsewhere, if he wants that then he plays well next year and gets another with us.

Webby
08-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Yeah but it's not hawthorn it's Carlton who are worse than us !

Difference is we are aiming squarely at four years time whereas Carlton are (wrongly IMO) aiming at top 6 in the next couple of years. Malthouse simply has to go for it... That's if it is, indeed, Carlton.

chef
08-10-2014, 07:59 PM
He wouldn't get offered anymore than two years elsewhere, if he wants that then he plays well next year and gets another with us.

I guess it may come down to the $$$ he gets offered, would be his last pay day so to speak.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Surely it wouldn't be anymore than we are paying him? Not enough to leave anyway.

Whichever way it's put it doesn't add up that he would want to leave so I won't be concerning myself with it just yet.

ledge
08-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Difference is we are aiming squarely at four years time whereas Carlton are (wrongly IMO) aiming at top 6 in the next couple of years. Malthouse simply has to go for it... That's if it is, indeed, Carlton.

Even if they are aiming top 6 they won't get a flag, he would want to go to a club in serious contention, they are looking to recruit our seconds players ..
And I think even he could see we are in a better position than they are list wise.
It's not about what Carlton think they are capable if its what he thinks they are capable of if he wants a flag it won't be them

Greystache
08-10-2014, 10:09 PM

It absolutely is him pushing for a trade, and that being the case, he'll get it.

LostDoggy
08-10-2014, 10:56 PM
It absolutely is him pushing for a trade, and that being the case, he'll get it.

Do you know this as fact stache?

Bulldog Revolution
09-10-2014, 08:03 AM
My view is that until we hear a player manager or the club comes out and confirm this then it's not something to get worked up about.

From http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-08/trade-wrap-beams-deal-hits-snag

"Cooney, who is contracted until the end of 2015, has been linked with Carlton but his management has indicated it would take a compelling reason for Cooney and the Bulldogs to part ways."

SquirrelGrip
09-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Thank God.

Sedat
09-10-2014, 12:41 PM
"Cooney, who is contracted until the end of 2015, has been linked with Carlton but his management has indicated it would take a compelling reason for Cooney and the Bulldogs to part ways."
Or in other words, "we tried to flog Coons off to Carlton but they aren't interested so we might have to go back to the Dogs with our tail between our legs"

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Or in other words, "we tried to flog Coons off to Carlton but they aren't interested so we might have to go back to the Dogs with our tail between our legs"

This is some silly season so far. Isn't the practice of giving a "stuff you I'm leaving I've got a better job" only done after the new job is secured? I think we will need to find money for a couples counsellor if Coons & Jones are forced to come back.

ratsmac
09-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Navy blue isn't a great colour to wear when you have pasty white skin anyway!

Greystache
09-10-2014, 01:20 PM
This is some silly season so far. Isn't the practice of giving a "stuff you I'm leaving I've got a better job" only done after the new job is secured? I think we will need to find money for a couples counsellor if Coons & Jones are forced to come back.

More to the point, if they're forced to come back with their tail between their legs maybe they'll be more inclined to put their heads down and do what's asked of them, because clearly the market doesn't rate them as highly as they thought it did. Similar to Dustin Martin last season, the whole "*!*!*!*! you, you can't tell me how to play, I'll just go somewhere else" card is no longer in the deck for them.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-10-2014, 01:46 PM
More to the point, if they're forced to come back with their tail between their legs maybe they'll be more inclined to put their heads down and do what's asked of them, because clearly the market doesn't rate them as highly as they thought it did. Similar to Dustin Martin last season, the whole "*!*!*!*! you, you can't tell me how to play, I'll just go somewhere else" card is no longer in the deck for them.

Cooney may have been influenced to leave due to his close friendship with Brian Lake. Lake proved to be the missing link in Hawthorn's two premierships. You would hardly see Coons having anywhere near the same value to other clubs. Jones until the arrival of Bontempelli and Stringer had been our main go to player up forward which he wasn't up to producing on a consistent basis.. His good performances at VFL level hasn't been converted at the higher level, which was a major concern.

Remi Moses
09-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Any chance Geelong ?
If they lose Christensen and perhaps Varcoe

azabob
09-10-2014, 09:54 PM
John Ralph has reported Essendon sniffing around Adam Cooney.

1eyedog
09-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Cooney told the club that if they can find a trade for him he's gone.

jeemak
09-10-2014, 10:36 PM
See you later Adam. Thanks for your services, good luck in the future.

Next!

Greystache
09-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Suddenly our defensive efforts improved significantly. How Cooney must miss play on at all costs unaccountable football.

Remi Moses
09-10-2014, 10:55 PM
For the love of god sack McCartney !!
He's a brownlow medalist for god sake .

whythelongface
09-10-2014, 10:58 PM
For the love of god sack McCartney !!
He's a brownlow medalist for god sake .

Where's your sarcasm emoticon Remi. I had too look twice to see who was posting.

Remi Moses
09-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Where's your sarcasm emoticon Remi. I had too look twice to see who was posting.

Little bit lazy, and I phone spell check is shitting me