PDA

View Full Version : PG goes whack

Twodogs
09-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Statement released by Peter Gordon on Ryan Griffen:

I have today read a statement issued by Ryan Griffen’s management. It requires clarification.

Ryan Griffen raised with me some concerns about our Senior Coach the day after our best and fairest. I then organised for him to immediately relay those concerns to our Chief Executive, Simon Garlick. We both took Ryan’s concerns very seriously as did Brendan McCartney when he was informed of them.

We arranged for Ryan to meet with Brendan and our Football Director, Chris Grant, and they discussed his concerns. Brendan acknowledged some faults and agreed to work on them. At the conclusion of the meeting, Chris asked Ryan if he was happy with the meeting and agreeable to working with Macca on an ongoing basis.

Ryan answered yes to both questions and added that while he was on leave he wanted to reflect upon whether he was best suited to captain the Club in the future.

Having returned to Australia on Tuesday night and without any further discussion with us after giving that agreement, Ryan informed us that he had changed his mind. We were also informed that he was seeking a trade to GWS – with whom we now understand he was in communication during this time.

We are extremely disappointed at his approach and have no intention of indulging it.

chef
09-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Go PG.

I want to say Griffen can get stuffed, but I'm trying to be better than that.

Ozza
09-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Its a good statement. I'm equally disappointed with how this has transpired - hurts even more from such a revered Western Bulldogs person (Griffen).

Unfortunately strong statements from PG don't win us football games.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Boyd or Cameron plus pick 19
Pick 4 and Tomlinson and upgrade second & third rounders
Or bust.

Ryan O'Keefe was virtually at Hawthorn many years ago. If a club endures them to want out, then they have to pay the price.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Good statement but there's no way the situation can be resolved now IMO.

In terms of getting the best possible deal we'll need to be ridiculously strong, but I don't see how Griffen can line up for us next year after his statement and the fact that he'll be out of contract and a FA next year.

Terrible day.

ledge
09-10-2014, 06:23 PM
GWS doing the dirty obviously.. AFL needs to change rules , players under contract cannot be poached unless both clubs agree to talks.

Greystache
09-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Good strong response from Peter.

It just goes to show what poor leadership with have amongst the senior players. Griffen's response was a weak one, walk away from confrontation rather than take it on. It's not a great surprise, he was made captain in lieu of a lack of better alternatives and he's now shown that he isn't the right person for the role. That fact he was a better option than many of the alternatives is a serious indictment on their leadership qualities, but it's been mentioned on a number of occasions how obvious our lack of leaders is on the field.

Our best players this season when it got tough were our youngest, let's hope it's a sign of things to come in the future.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2014, 06:24 PM
PG has also sent out an email detailing the above to members, highlighting the fact that he is a contracted and required player.

KT31
09-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Boyd or Cameron plus pick 19
Pick 4 and Tomlinson and upgrade second & third rounders
Or bust.

Ryan O'Keefe was virtually at Hawthorn many years ago. If a club endures them to want out, then they have to pay the price.

Wasn't this prior to free agency, its a different ball game now.

1eyedog
09-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Clearly it's Peter's spin. GWS need to know that we are starting a long way back in terms of getting what we want. PG knows that Leon has promised Griff he'll get him out and GWS will pay dearly for it.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Wasn't this prior to free agency, its a different ball game now.

Yes, Hawthorn said they'd take him virtually no matter what. Then Pelchan did what he does best and the deal was off despite O'Keefe walking out. They repaired the relationship and was good for Sydney.

If we finish 16th next year, Griff is likely pick 4 compo. Stare them down for a gun kid and pick.

Remi Moses
09-10-2014, 06:34 PM
This is just another example of the game resembling WWE
This is like Hulk Hogan siding with Bobby " The Brain " Heenan back in the day, or for younger types joining the New World order.
Footy has gone mad, and is resembling the world game and American sports

SonofScray
09-10-2014, 06:37 PM
A great, mature and strong response from our President. This is a terrible scenario, but I believe we have the resolve and nous to turn this into a good result and set a standard for a long time about how people in our organisation behave.

azabob
09-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Clearly it's Peter's spin. GWS need to know that we are starting a long way back in terms of getting what we want. PG knows that Leon has promised Griff he'll get him out and GWS will pay dearly for it.

Exactly, step one of the negotiation process.

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I think the club stance is as it has to be. We are in a worse negotiating position (not by much) if we say, "ok he wants to go, lets talk how much", we'd get less compensation if we are resigned to losiong him. This is exactly how Collingwood are playing it with Beams! Required player, come to the party!

jeemak
09-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Excellent response from Gordon.

This is another example of a naive player being poorly advised. Whoever suggested to him that he should deal with the Giants whilst his situation at the Bulldogs was not resolved has done him a massive disservice, particularly as he is the captain.

It seems to this point the club and the coach have been willing to admit they need to change, to me it's a little pathetic that players don't seem to be able to do so as well.

AndrewP6
09-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Of course he's going to say it, but to reiterate the fact he's a contracted player??? If Griff is set on leaving, and we force him to stay, how does that help the club? We have arguably our best player not wanting to be there. The bigger issue is that at least 4 players don't want to be a part of the club. And the year isn't over.

Pickenitup
09-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Cam Mooney said Griif has had a contract offer from GWS for over 6 months.

The bulldog tragician
09-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Cam Mooney said Griif has had a contract offer from GWS for over 6 months.
Isn't that against the rules?

GVGjr
09-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Terrific response by PG. Fully support him. Griffen was given his chance to air his grievances and was willing to work on the issues but then changed his mind. As a leader he needed to be better than that

wimberga
09-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Terrific response by PG. Fully support him. Griffen was given his chance to air his grievances and was willing to work on the issues but then changed his mind. As a leader he needed to be better than that

Agree wholeheartedly - when this first broke I felt it was terrible for the image of the club (and still know that it is not great). However, as more has come to light, I am thinking that a lot of AFL fans image of Ryan Griffen has been shattered. The worst thing is, he was held in such high regard too which is whats so disappointing.

Guido
09-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Isn't that against the rules?
If it is, I'd assume that we'd also be breaking those rules with offers to contracted blokes like Patton and Lonergan.

lemmon
09-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Time the AFL stepped in and stopped the players having their cake and eating it too. Absolutely ridiculous that they have free agency yet for all intents and purposes contracts mean nothing anyway. If players have free agency rights while under contract it should be illegal for them to nominate destination clubs and they should have no say in or ability to reject where they are traded to. Imagine the bidding war Griff would create on the open market? The club should have the right to choose the best deal for itself and tell him to get stuffed.

Jam Donuts
09-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Yes, Hawthorn said they'd take him virtually no matter what. Then Pelchan did what he does best and the deal was off despite O'Keefe walking out. They repaired the relationship and was good for Sydney.

If we finish 16th next year, Griff is likely pick 4 compo. Stare them down for a gun kid and pick.

I am staggered that Spud Junior Frawley is worth pick 3 and Griff is only 4, this is our chance to really put GWS to the sword, it could work out well for us as others have mentioned, but we need more than pick 4, a lot more.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Of course he's going to say it, but to reiterate the fact he's a contracted player??? If Griff is set on leaving, and we force him to stay, how does that help the club? We have arguably our best player not wanting to be there. The bigger issue is that at least 4 players don't want to be a part of the club. And the year isn't over.
No. The bigger issue is why and the information to date, from multiple sources seems to reflect more poorly on our senior playing group than on the administration. In fact perhaps for the first time in a long time we are trying to address the player first mentality at the club.

Remi Moses
09-10-2014, 07:59 PM
If the Kristian Jacksch ( ? I give up)
Trade with Carlton goes through we could get 4 and 7.

lemmon
09-10-2014, 08:04 PM
If the Kristian Jacksch ( ? I give up)
Trade with Carlton goes through we could get 4 and 7.

I'd rather 4 and Boyd to be honest

Remi Moses
09-10-2014, 08:11 PM

Yep ,works for me

KT31
Yep ,works for me

Would be a decent result.

jeemak
No. The bigger issue is why and the information to date, from multiple sources seems to reflect more poorly on our senior playing group than on the administration. In fact perhaps for the first time in a long time we are trying to address the player first mentality at the club.

Very well put.

Grant Thomas during 2008-2010 talked about the selfishness that pervaded our football club's players during that time, perhaps his words (as much as I hated hearing them at the time) had some merit and the club is trying to eradicate its legacy.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 08:15 PM

If that happens my tears of sorrow will turn into tears of joy. I'm thinking that won't happen though.

Flamethrower
09-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Real men stand up and work through their issues. Cowards run away and hide in Rooty Hill. This is why professional athletes should never be called heroes.

Take them to the cleaners....nothing less than 2 1st round picks and Will Hoskin-Elliott. Then trade one of the picks for Jake Carlisle. Trade for Melbourne's compensation pick and/or St Kilda's number 1 pick and draft 2 of Wright, McCartin and Petracca.

G-Mo77
09-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Real men stand up and work through their issues. Cowards run away and hide in Rooty Hill. This is why professional athletes should never be called heroes.

Take them to the cleaners....nothing less than 2 1st round picks and Will Hoskin-Elliott. Then trade one of the picks for Jake Carlisle. Trade for Melbourne's compensation pick and/or St Kilda's number 1 pick and draft 2 of Wright, McCartin and Petracca.

I've been stumped on who WHE is, I've read these initials a lot and the penny finally dropped after I read your post. I really am slow....

Ghost Dog
09-10-2014, 09:10 PM
This might actually work out well for us.

The Underdog
09-10-2014, 09:30 PM
God I love Peter Gordon. I wouldn't trade him for any player. That's just a brilliant retort to a player walking out. Although inevitably the club will have to trade Griffin (Purposely misspelled. Feel the burn, bitch). I think we have to demand Boyd or Cameron are part of it. If we're going to make this turn out to our advantage we have to get a key forward out of it.

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 09:41 PM

FT doesn't do the 'you call that a knife?' thing. He gets out the Bren Gun. Love it.

Doc26
09-10-2014, 09:55 PM

O'Keefe in a radio interview subsequently denied that Hawthorn was the Club that he was working on a trade with.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 09:58 PM
O'Keefe in a radio interview subsequently denied that Hawthorn was the Club that he was working on a trade with.

Really? I recall Pelchan was over the news for days talking about ROK.

josie
09-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Well done PG and agree it tells GWS we are going to trade hard.

I wonder what this does for Leon Cameron's prospects as a future WB Coach....

Doggy
09-10-2014, 10:31 PM
I wonder what this does for Leon Cameron's prospects as a future WB Coach....

I wonder what this does for Leon Cameron's friendship with Chris Grant

F'scary
09-10-2014, 10:49 PM

Or Punchbowl.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Far too many threads and posts to read but all i wish to say is that given Peter Gordon's integrity within our footy club but moreso outside of footy, I would back him before anyone else.

bornadog
10-10-2014, 12:21 AM
PG had to make that statement he had no choice, but the problems are still there at the club between the players and the way they are treated by the coach.

I think there will be more to come before things settle.

Sedat
10-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Good to see Peter Gordon come in off the Michael Holding run-up and give Griff and GWS some serious chin music. They would not have expected such a swift, direct and specifically targeted response. Griff especially would be feeling most uneasy tonight that he has become a major negative talking point in the AFL through self-inflicted means.

Remi Moses
10-10-2014, 01:47 AM
Is there a bit of revenge at work here for Leon?
Didn't think he was the vengeful type, but maybe I'm jumping to conclusions
Granty and Leon's relationship might be a bit stained now.

Raw Toast
10-10-2014, 02:16 AM
God I love Peter Gordon. I wouldn't trade him for any player. That's just a brilliant retort to a player walking out. Although inevitably the club will have to trade Griffin (Purposely misspelled. Feel the burn, bitch). I think we have to demand Boyd or Cameron are part of it. If we're going to make this turn out to our advantage we have to get a key forward out of it.

Indeed!! Though even with my Bulldogs glasses on I can't see them giving us Cameron, and I suspect we are more likely to end up with Patton rather than Boyd (in which case I'd want two picks in the top 10 and another very promising player).

Like most here, I'm very disappointed with Griffen, BUT for all those doing some character assassination, he's presumably been offered a shitload of money (remember how much GWS were offering Franklin, and how they still have almost all of that to spend, and are desperate for a marquee name, especially given how impressive Scully has been for them!). Add in his realisation that he is mortal with a dodgy back, and I think you have an offer that was likely very, very hard to refuse.

[Edit, apparently GWS are going to pay him less than we were - can't say I believe that, surely he'll get a backloaded contract or something of the sort. It might not be all about the money, but I'm sure that he'll be very well compensated in both money and contract length for this... I guess it's just the next stage in the spin/chess game, for GWS to say that Griff approached them first (BS detector on high alert there), and trying to salvage his reputation by saying all he wants to be is happy. Peter Gordon is a lawyer, I thinking he'll do well in the PR side of this battle.]

It's the system I hate, and the combination of expansion clubs and free agency system has clearly dudded us more than anyone else.

Here's to hoping that we make GWS pay with a trade that goes down as one of the most lop-sided in history (in our favour of course!).

Twodogs
10-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Indeed!! Though even with my Bulldogs glasses on I can't see them giving us Cameron, and I suspect we are more likely to end up with Patton rather than Boyd (in which case I'd want two picks in the top 10 and another very promising player).

Like most here, I'm very disappointed with Griffen, BUT for all those doing some character assassination, he's presumably been offered a shitload of money (remember how much GWS were offering Franklin, and how they still have almost all of that to spend, and are desperate for a marquee name, especially given how impressive Scully has been for them!). Add in his realisation that he is mortal with a dodgy back, and I think you have an offer that was likely very, very hard to refuse.

[Edit, apparently GWS are going to pay him less than we were - can't say I believe that, surely he'll get a backloaded contract or something of the sort. It might not be all about the money, but I'm sure that he'll be very well compensated in both money and contract length for this... I guess it's just the next stage in the spin/chess game, for GWS to say that Griff approached them first (BS detector on high alert there), and trying to salvage his reputation by saying all he wants to be is happy. Peter Gordon is a lawyer, I thinking he'll do well in the PR side of this battle.]

It's the system I hate, and the combination of expansion clubs and free agency system has clearly dudded us more than anyone else.

Here's to hoping that we make GWS pay with a trade that goes down as one of the most lop-sided in history (in our favour of course!).

Nicely said RT. I especially like the last paragraph. This could be our John Pitura moment.

Sedat
10-10-2014, 12:00 PM
God I love Peter Gordon.
I will love him a whole lot less if BMac has been sacked. If he has resigned however...

Greystache
10-10-2014, 12:02 PM
I honestly thought for the first time we had some strong leadership at the club that could change the selfish and individualistic culture, but sadly it seems not.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2014, 12:07 PM
I honestly thought for the first time we had some strong leadership at the club that could change the selfish and individualistic culture, but sadly it seems not.

It took me a few hours to realise this and agree with you yesterday, but I was on board. It was an opportunity to change our culture in a dramatic way, and it seems within 24 hours we've buckled at the knees.

This is more about the culture/direction than who is head coach.

jeemak
10-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Simon Garlick can immediately be sacked, and should. The Board should equally come under scrutiny, and have all positions opened up.

This is pathetic, unprofessional and embarrassing.

Like the many others, I feel this is a significant nail in the coffin of our club's culture resurrection.

Doc26
10-10-2014, 12:24 PM

Agree stache. It appears as though those in charge have capitulated at the first significant hurdle that they've been confronted with in shifting the culture. This was their first legitimate opportunity to show strength and display true leadership. Tail has wagged the dog I'm afraid. If Macca has fallen on his sword, this is a big fail by the little boys in charge.

BulldogBelle
10-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I'd love to hear David Smorgon's take on all this.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Simon Garlick can immediately be sacked, and should. The Board should equally come under scrutiny, and have all positions opened up.

This is pathetic, unprofessional and embarrassing.

Like the many others, I feel this is a significant nail in the coffin of our club's culture resurrection.

I think you'll find this may be the first nail in the bulldogs coffin as an entity. I hope i'm wrong but its going to be hard for the club to come back from the past 2 days events.

chef
10-10-2014, 12:32 PM
I think you'll find this may be the first nail in the bulldogs coffin as an entity. I hope i'm wrong but its going to be hard for the club to come back from the past 2 days events.

Seriously?

We've come back from worse than this.

westdog54
10-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Seriously?

When we've had worse than this we attacked the problem with a united front. With the amount of division that exists its hard to be optimistic about working through it.

Twodogs
10-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Seriously?

Much worse.

When we've had worse than this we attacked the problem with a united front. With the amount of division that exists its hard to be optimistic about working through it.

We may have presented a united front when faced with an external problem. This is a little more like a civil war.

chef
10-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Much worse.

Yep, this is nothing compared to 89

Bulldog4life
10-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Yep, this is nothing compared to 89

Exactly Chef. I am looking forward to and excited seeing us appoint a new coach and draft some more young guns. I seem to be on the outer but that is the way I feel.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Civil wars can also be a lot more enduring.

bornadog
10-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Exactly Chef. I am looking forward to and excited seeing us appoint a new coach and draft some more young guns. I seem to be on the outer but that is the way I feel.

I am with you. Onwards we go. I am excited about our young group, we still need some older players to get us through while the young ones gain experience.

chef
10-10-2014, 03:50 PM

Yep, hopefully we can keep weeding the garden and get a few more early draft picks.

Twodogs
10-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Civil wars can also be a lot more enduring.

And vicious. And pointless.

BulldogBelle
10-10-2014, 03:57 PM

This will all be a big deal about nothing if we do well next year, and we'll all be saying " remember when .... And look at us now!"

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 04:01 PM
And vicious. And pointless.

So true

hujsh
10-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Western Bulldogs: If Sudan or Syria were a sport club.

Twodogs
15-10-2014, 07:36 PM
This will all be a big deal about nothing if we do well next year, and we'll all be saying " remember when .... And look at us now!"

Who thought that would happen so quick?

I knew Gordon wouldn't let us down.

Bulldog4life
15-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Who thought that would happen so quick?

I knew Gordon wouldn't let us down.

I love having Peter in our corner.

comrade
15-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Well done PG! I thought you overcooked this one but nope, tastes delicious...

Twodogs
15-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Well done PG! I thought you overcooked this one but nope, tastes delicious...

When he first bought it out if the oven I didn't like the look of it at all but it melts in the mouth.

josie
15-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Delicious, Delectable, delightful, de'wonderful, d'lovely, d'limit....It's d'Boyd. Thanks Peter Gordon !!

wimberga
17-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Thank you so much peter gordon!!!