PDA

View Full Version : So how are we holding up?

G-Mo77
09-10-2014, 08:28 PM
First heard the news today and it didn't really sink in. Griffen our best player has walked out like a few before him and by the sound of it a few behind him as well. I laughed when I read the news not a laugh of joy but a laugh when you think things couldn't get any worse and another pile of shit lands on top of you. In situations like that I just laugh.

I took a couples of hours break, back and forthed on a few texts on my phone and it's just starting to sink in now. I'm gutted. It wasn't long ago I probably had the most joy I've had as a supporter when I watched the Scray win the GF. Only a few weeks on and it seems like 10 years ago. It's not just my own personnel feelings. I am genuinely concerned how our club who is already battling to stay afloat come back from this. Memberships were already on the decline, regardless of what we do next people will refuse to sign up or not resign at all. This is the first time in my life as a Bulldog supporter I've actually thought "What's the point" and feel like giving up altogether. Apart from 89 this is the lowest I've felt as a supporter. I know I'll bounce back at some point but I know there will be many that won't.

I know there will be some posters will be wanting to just throw the boots in to me because of feeling this way, I really don't want to debate it. I just wanted to put it out there and show how I feel right now and let others express without debate on what is right or wrong.

So how are we holding up?

Maddog37
09-10-2014, 08:31 PM
I am the opposite. I feel this is the beginning of a new era. Clear all the dead wood now though so it doesn't fester.

azabob
09-10-2014, 08:36 PM
I was like you, in disbelief. I didn't know what to think.

Now the club has come out so strongly in response, I am now feeling a whole lot better.

I am also genuinely surprised at the media's support and take on this.

I am a member of the Western Bulldogs football club, I have been through the Terry Wallace days and through the Peter Rhode days. The good and the bad.

Reality it is, G-MO you feel the way you feel, no one can change that and they should respect it.

Just like I believe you will respect my opinion.

#BeMoreBulldog

Murphy'sLore
09-10-2014, 08:37 PM
I think I've travelled the spectrum between the two of you in the last few hours. At first I was stunned -- gutted -- sickened. I wanted Maccartney's head. I actually thought I might throw up at one point.

But the more I've heard and read, and now it's had a chance to sink in, I'm beginning to think it had to happen. And it could be a great opportunity, if we can make the most of it. And we have to, just have to! God, think of the people who turned on the club because we lost Aker! Aker, for God's sake! And this is Griff… I'm just so disappointed in Griffen. But I don't want a captain at our club who could behave like this.

Piss off Griff. Make Bob Murphy captain for his last year and welcome pick 4.

GVGjr
09-10-2014, 08:38 PM
I have a philosophy around if players are over the age of 26, have played their best football and most importantly don't want to set a great example for the exciting youngsters we have at the club then we should trade them away if they don't want to be with us.

I'm surprised that Griffen went away to think about if we wanted to be the captain nest year and came back with a nomination for another club he wanted to be traded to. If his heart isn't in it my view is we should see what we can do to better the club.

As much as I rated Griffen as a player this opens up a number of exciting options in my opinion.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Come back and ask me after the trade has gone through. It all depends on how aggressive we are in terms of getting the best possible deal.

Additionally, don't do anything in halves. Trade Minson and Cooney too.

lemmon
09-10-2014, 08:41 PM
I guess I'm at the point of trying to force some sort of anger with Griff, it's still too easy to blame Macca and the club. Griff was my first childhood hero, I was 11 when he was drafted and 05/06 were the years I really fell in love with the club. I was too young for 97/98 so Cooney, Morris and Lake were my West, Johnson and Smith...Griffen has always been my Chris Grant. I wore the number 16 through my years of junior footy and seeing him drive off half back as a teenager was my real reason for loving the game in the first place. For me Griffen has always been the Bulldogs and the Bulldogs have always been Griffen. His has been the first career I've been able to see develop: the promising youngster, the inconsistent midfielder trying to find his way, the superstar and club champion and finally the captain. I've grown up alongside his Bulldogs career...now it's over. Today was a real loss of innocence and the death of football romanticism for me. I'm heartbroken.

GVGjr
09-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Come back and ask me after the trade has gone through. It all depends on how aggressive we are in terms of getting the best possible deal.

Additionally, don't do anything in halves. Trade Minson and Cooney too.

I'd keep Minno unless he didn't want to be there but I would be all in on Cooney

always right
09-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Have gone through various stages;
1. Disbelief
2. Despair
3. Anger
4. Resolve
5. Belligerence........stuff him. This is an opportunity to change the fortunes of our club.

whythelongface
09-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Good thread G-Mo and it shows the passion that you have as a supporter.

Like you I have thought about for a few years and whilst bitterly disappointed (particularly in Griffen) and heartbroken, as he was one of my all time fav bulldog players, I can also see a strong positive in all of this. This is a golden opportunity for the club to build a dynasty with the already young squad that we have. Whether this comes to fruition is a long long way down the track but the potential to create this dynasty lies currently in the hands of our coaching and leadership staff.

I firmly believe that in years to come that we will look at this moment as a watershed moment for the club (think I read this on another post apologies for the plagiarism)

Murphy'sLore
09-10-2014, 08:44 PM
I guess I'm at the point of trying to force some sort of anger with Griff, it's still too easy to blame Macca and the club. Griff was my first childhood hero, I was 11 when he was drafted and 05/06 were the years I really fell in love with the club. I was too young for 97/98 so Cooney, Morris and Lake were my West, Johnson and Smith...Griffen has always been my Chris Grant. I wore the number 16 through my years of junior footy and seeing him drive off half back as a teenager was my real reason for loving the game in the first place. For me Griffen has always been the Bulldogs and the Bulldogs have always been Griffen. His has been the first career I've been able to see develop: the promising youngster, the inconsistent midfielder trying to find his way, the superstar and club champion and finally the captain. I've grown up alongside his Bulldogs career...now it's over. Today was a real loss of innocence and the death of football romanticism for me. I'm heartbroken.

I wish there was a button for 'hugs'.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2014, 08:45 PM
I'd keep Minno unless he didn't want to be there but I would be all in on Cooney

If the reports on Minson are true and we are intent on changing our culture, Minson absolutely should be traded.

Nevermind the fact that Campbell and Roughead would work better as a ruck/forward duo.

jeemak
09-10-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm much like you in that I was immediately shattered and looking for blood.

As more information has come to light I am moving on fairly quickly. Today is the first time we have shown as a club any sort of resolve and willingness to be better than what we have been in the past through a demonstrable act.

The emphatic response from our club president suggests we are not messing around.

whythelongface
09-10-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm much like you in that I was immediately shattered and looking for blood.

As more information has come to light I am moving on fairly quickly. Today is the first time we have shown as a club any sort of resolve and willingness to be better than what we have been in the past through a demonstrable act.

The emphatic response from our club president suggests we are not messing around.

It was a strong statement which shows real leadership.

Eastdog
09-10-2014, 09:05 PM
I have liked the way Peter has handled this situation. Like most of here I was in shock that he wanted out but thinking about it a bit more it may not be as bad as we think if we can capitalise on it and get a good trade done.

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 09:08 PM
What a day. I was sitting in a training meeting, being prepared to learn nothing about document manager, or some crap, when this news came through. I proceeded to get that uneasy buzzing feeling in my stomach. It soon turned to heavy breathing, the walls closing in, suddenly coffee didn't taste so good and being told to click here, then here, then here, then over there, followed by there, just wasn't making sense in a productive manner when I was already used to the old way of doing things. Why change?

So, why change? The old method is working. It will work. BMac has my backing.

F'scary
09-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Like in the Spinal Tap movie, I am...

Stunned...Shocked and stunned...

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Flat. Really flat.

If Griffen was staying we'd be talking him up, he's not, but it's somehow a good thing. Clearly the club is very sick, that's the reality. You can say the diseased part of the club is being removed with healthy parts left to keep going. But that's a symptom of the circumstance, not the cause.

I'm not sure what happens from here truth be told. We can talk draft picks and so forth, but bet your bottom dollar the AFL is finishing the schedule for next year and they're working off us being having a shit year with our mature players walking out. So why sponsor us? To the kids who grew up idolizing Cooney and Griffen, they're gone from the club. To the kids looking at other clubs drafting reecords, we've lost a pick 1, pick 3, pick 6, pick 12, pick 15, pick 30, pick 33 all still in playing ages in one year. These players drafting represents the dividend from the draft and we've lost big now. 7 top 30 picks gone.

Talking about the future opportunities is all we can do, because that's all we've got. I'm stuck with having blind faith as if the club has picked the coach over the players and the club turns out wrong... i can't think about that. So yeah club, yeah picks and ho hum. Pressure on Dalrymple to not stuff up. But.. It's a turd no matter way you sugar coat it. Maybe if we have two top 10 picks, three top 30 picks and Tom Boyd I might come around more quickly. This is a landmark day for the club in the recent era, a contracted captain walking with 5 other high regarded players and the President forced to email the membership. I don't think it's even a half glass empty/ half full thing, i'm surprised how some view it. But to each their own.

Torpedo
09-10-2014, 09:14 PM
After 60 years of supportig this club it has finally got the right leadership in place and becoming ruthless. Its the price we all have to pay for future success. I have endured mediocrity from FFC for too many decades. No player is bigger than the club. This is the time of opportunity to get the players who want out gone and get in players who are willing to develop the hardness required for success. The Prez is playing hard and so he should. We are committed to a culture change - did supporters really think there would be no casualties from players and supporters alike? The club is headed in the right direction. I thought Cam Mooney nailed it on SEN around 5.30pm - Have a listen if its up. OPPORTUNITY presents itself like this rarely for our club - lets do the trades and come back a better team and club.

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 09:14 PM
PS, at this moment I don't think I've felt as close to you all since the first time we started exchanging bandwidth. Hell, I'd even give one of Eastdog's demographic related threads the time of day at the moment.

Eastdog
09-10-2014, 09:15 PM
PS, at this moment I don't think I've felt as close to you all since the first time we started exchanging bandwidth. Hell, I'd even give one of Eastdog's demographic related threads the time of day at the moment.

No wont be making those M.R.M after the news today there is much more important stuff to ponder.

stefoid
09-10-2014, 09:28 PM
I am the opposite. I feel this is the beginning of a new era. Clear all the dead wood now though so it doesn't fester.

absolutely.

josie
09-10-2014, 09:38 PM

Really well written Lemmon, I can feel your pain. West and Grant were 2 of my faves. I can imagine what it would have been like for them to finish their careers elsewhere - bloody devastating.

Remi Moses
09-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Bit annoyed and 1st thought was
" right pick 1 and Boyd now", but I've been cold on fawning over individual players for quite a while.
The ward stuff just left me cold and we have players breaking contracts left right and centre.
Put it this way folks those of us old enough to remember that we lost Dempsey in 78 and got Cowton Moylan and Williams
When KT walked we got jack schizen, and now we can get hold of some of the best young footballers in the land.
It's a black eye for the club no doubt , but we'll deliver a round 18 knockout

1eyedog
09-10-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm awesome. As I've posted all along this is a massive opportunity to go against the grain and show the rest of the competition that these bulldogs really do have teeth.

I'm sorry for Griffen - could have gone down as a club legend and one of our best ever but instead he'll waste away in the outer suburbs of Sydney who will remember him no more than they will a Rhys Palmer or a Josh Hunt.

azabob
09-10-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm awesome. As I've posted all along this is a massive opportunity to go against the grain and show the rest of the competition that these bulldogs really do have teeth.

I'm sorry for Griffen - could have gone down as a club legend and one of our best ever but instead he'll waste away in the outer suburbs of Sydney who will remember him no more than they will a Rhys Palmer or a Josh Hunt.

I didn't search too hard, but I dont think there is even a Ryan Griffen thread on the GWS big footy board.

hujsh
09-10-2014, 10:46 PM
I didn't search too hard, but I dont think there is even a Ryan Griffen thread on the GWS big footy board.

Does it have any threads? Does anyone post there? Surely not.

boydogs
09-10-2014, 10:59 PM
You can tell from my name I'm a big fan of Griffen's. Not sure where to turn at the moment.

From his first year, Griff has been very representative of the club. Blue collar, low profile, with an inner determination to succeed. I watched him run rings around Deledio when they played against each other late in their first season, despite Deledio being more highly rated and winning the rising star.

He's a no fuss kinda guy who has turned back offers from other clubs before, and hasn't received the same recognition as stars from other clubs, but just keeps getting it done. He is one of very few match winners who stand up when the game is on the line, he single handedly beat Melbourne for us last year and was about the only one who could hold his head up high in round 23 against GWS who didn't drop his head and call it a day when it got hard.

It's like finding out Santa doesn't exist, so much of what you believe has just been outed as a lie.

bornadog
09-10-2014, 11:11 PM

Is Griffen dead wood?

Doc26
09-10-2014, 11:13 PM
You can tell from my name I'm a big fan of Griffen's. Not sure where to turn at the moment.

From his first year, Griff has been very representative of the club. Blue collar, low profile, with an inner determination to succeed. I watched him run rings around Deledio when they played against each other late in their first season, despite Deledio being more highly rated and winning the rising star.

He's a no fuss kinda guy who has turned back offers from other clubs before, and hasn't received the same recognition as stars from other clubs, but just keeps getting it done. He is one of very few match winners who stand up when the game is on the line, he single handedly beat Melbourne for us last year and was about the only one who could hold his head up high in round 23 against GWS who didn't drop his head and call it a day when it got hard.

It's like finding out Santa doesn't exist, so much of what you believe has just been outed as a lie.

Sorry Michael. If it helps, many of us are sharing your anguish tonight.

One ongoing debate that can now be settled tonight, Deledio was hands down a better selection than Griffen :)

Maddog37
09-10-2014, 11:14 PM
He has made himself dead wood now, yes.

bornadog
09-10-2014, 11:15 PM
First heard the news today and it didn't really sink in. Griffen our best player has walked out like a few before him and by the sound of it a few behind him as well. I laughed when I read the news not a laugh of joy but a laugh when you think things couldn't get any worse and another pile of shit lands on top of you. In situations like that I just laugh.

I took a couples of hours break, back and forthed on a few texts on my phone and it's just starting to sink in now. I'm gutted. It wasn't long ago I probably had the most joy I've had as a supporter when I watched the Scray win the GF. Only a few weeks on and it seems like 10 years ago. It's not just my own personnel feelings. I am genuinely concerned how our club who is already battling to stay afloat come back from this. Memberships were already on the decline, regardless of what we do next people will refuse to sign up or not resign at all. This is the first time in my life as a Bulldog supporter I've actually thought "What's the point" and feel like giving up altogether. Apart from 89 this is the lowest I've felt as a supporter. I know I'll bounce back at some point but I know there will be many that won't.

I know there will be some posters will be wanting to just throw the boots in to me because of feeling this way, I really don't want to debate it. I just wanted to put it out there and show how I feel right now and let others express without debate on what is right or wrong.

So how are we holding up?

I feel the same as you.

Posters may be rejoicing for a new era new players but I think we have the wrong coach and starting to think the wrong Admin. Really pissed off as the problems underlying why the players are not happy is not being addressed. The crap cracking in comments, no game plan, no match day tactics, Macca's lack of match day moves or lack of ability are still there.

Scorlibo
09-10-2014, 11:24 PM

I'm the same age as you Lemmon, and I share those sentiments. It's as though every idea that I've built up in my own mind over the years about our players, and particularly Griff, has been undone in the space of an afternoon. Oddly, I don't feel angry, more frustrated and disengaged. I don't feel as much a part of the club as I have done in the past, where is the glue that holds this group of players together and makes them a team of Bulldogs, and more than that, the Bulldogs that I know? There is now an enormous gulf between those who I've come to assimilate with over the years - Murphy, Morris, Boyd and Cooney - and the younger brigade, barely any of whom have been Bulldogs for longer than 5 years. The idea that it might have been a rift between the senior core and these young players who are less Bulldog than I am - that worsens the pain.

We have to start winning games next year, otherwise we could be on the harsh cycle of losing games whilst at the same time losing identity.

1eyedog
09-10-2014, 11:28 PM
I'm the same age as you Lemmon, and I share those sentiments. It's as though every idea that I've built up in my own mind over the years about our players, and particularly Griff, has been undone in the space of an afternoon. Oddly, I don't feel angry, more frustrated and disengaged. I don't feel as much a part of the club as I have done in the past, where is the glue that holds this group of players together and makes them a team of Bulldogs, and more than that, the Bulldogs that I know? There is now an enormous gulf between those who I've come to assimilate with over the years - Murphy, Morris, Boyd and Cooney - and the younger brigade, barely any of whom have been Bulldogs for longer than 5 years. The idea that it might have been a rift between the senior core and these young players who are less Bulldog than I am - that worsens the pain.

We have to start winning games next year, otherwise we could be on the harsh cycle of losing games whilst at the same time losing identity.

1989 ensured that will never happen. Not to trivialize your feelings but the day's events are confronting but they pail in comparison to things we have endured in the past.

The bulldog tragician
09-10-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm still in shock. While I can respect the point of view of others that this will make us stronger - and I'm hoping I'll get there too - I just feel the loss at present. Loss of the romance of footy, the idea that the Griff who cried on the field when we lost PF in 09 won't lead us to better times. Loss of some of my belief in Macca - is he kindly wise father figure or out of his depth, why are players disillusioned?

We invest our dreams in these guys. This is such a sour way for Griff to leave us, I just can't get all excited about picks etc, not now anyway.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Reality is that football has lost its romanticism and loyalty.

The Pie Man
09-10-2014, 11:41 PM
I guess it's human nature to become a little defiant in such circumstances....and the thought of 3 top 10 picks (or two and a decent player) is tantalising, but it is most certainly a dark day.

Thinking about our 'senior' guys, they were the 100+ gamers when we were challenging. Feels like we've really missed solid leadership since Johnno retired...we've certainly stunk on the park since our first game post Brad.

Let's see what we can shake from this, but forgive me for worrying about how vulnerable we'll be every trade period for the next 5 years, potentially condemning us to a loop of 18th-10th.

Scorlibo
09-10-2014, 11:55 PM
1989 ensured that will never happen. Not to trivialize your feelings but the day's events are confronting but they pail in comparison to things we have endured in the past.

Before I, or almost any of the playing group, was born. My grandfather would impart recollections of 1989 on me time after time, I'm acutely aware of the club's history. But all of a sudden I'm wondering how many of our players have the same knowledge.

The story of Chris Grant turning down a big offer to go to Port Adelaide, and staying on the basis of a kid's letter and 'donation'. That's the Bulldog identity for me, competing, doggedly, despite numerous obstacles, financial or otherwise, through loyalty. The captain walking out the door on the back of another 3 players having already walked... that's the antithesis of the Bulldogs' identity as I know it. I don't know who's responsible, if anyone, but I do know that if you think the identity of the club is kept sacred by something that happened 25 years ago, you're mistaken.

1eyedog
10-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Before I, or almost any of the playing group, was born. My grandfather would impart recollections of 1989 on me time after time, I'm acutely aware of the club's history. But all of a sudden I'm wondering how many of our players have the same knowledge.

The story of Chris Grant turning down a big offer to go to Port Adelaide, and staying on the basis of a kid's letter and 'donation'. That's the Bulldog identity for me, competing, doggedly, despite numerous obstacles, financial or otherwise, through loyalty. The captain walking out the door on the back of another 3 players having already walked... that's the antithesis of the Bulldogs' identity as I know it. I don't know who's responsible, if anyone, but I do know that if you think the identity of the club is kept sacred by something that happened 25 years ago, you're mistaken.

No I'm not. That year ensured the AFL would never directly take away our right to exist. The only danger to the club is inherent in it's supporter base (or lack thereof).

I am optimistic about where we are going but nothing can take away the fact that it feels like your wife has gone away on a holiday to get some time apart, met another man on her sojourn and come back to tell her husband via text that she is leaving him for the other man. I feel cheated on by Griff.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-10-2014, 12:01 AM
And sadly that's what I as a supporter love about footy

The Pie Man
10-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Heh, Alive from Pearl Jam was just on TV. Kinda appropriate

Scorlibo
10-10-2014, 12:09 AM
No I'm not. That year ensured the AFL would never directly take away our right to exist. The only danger to the club is inherent in it's supporter base (or lack thereof).

Then you're conflating identity and existence. Our place is safe within the competition.

The Pie Man
10-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Then you're conflating identity and existence. Our place is safe within the competition.

But it still feels like a huge part of the struggle, made no easier today.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 12:16 AM
Was feeling shocked but that has turned to anger for Griffen as long as what I hear from the club is correct.

I would loved to know what Gia thinks about how Macca has handled the players and his thoughts on Griffen.

1eyedog
10-10-2014, 12:23 AM

No the two are not mutually exclusive. My point being that if we retain our identity through the upheaval of 1989 then we retain it through the loss of a few senior players. Champion players come and go - always have and I've seen a lot of them and been heartbroken every time. Dempsey, Templeton, Edmond all captains, all gone well before your time and the club was still there for you to love and support every week. If you think our identity is on the line because Griffen has requested a trade then you have little understanding of what underpins our club and I can tell you that it cannot be compromised by one or even three disgruntled senior players walking out. We are made of far sterner stuff.

bornadog
10-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Was feeling shocked but that has turned to anger for Griffen as long as what I hear from the club is correct.

I would loved to know what Gia thinks about how Macca has handled the players and his thoughts on Griffen.

Yes two sides to every story.

Scorlibo
10-10-2014, 12:50 AM
No the two are not mutually exclusive.

They're not the same either.

My point being that if we retain our identity through the upheaval of 1989 then we retain it through the loss of a few senior players. Champion players come and go - always have and I've seen a lot of them and been heartbroken every time. Dempsey, Templeton, Edmond all captains, all gone well before your time and the club was still there for you to love and support every week. If you think our identity is on the line because Griffen has requested a trade then you have little understanding of what underpins our club and I can tell you that it cannot be compromised by one or even three disgruntled senior players walking out. We are made of far sterner stuff.

The club was still there, but I thoroughly doubt that it was the same club. Institutions undergo change just as people do. I'm as different from my grandfather as the club is from his day to mine. Would you call Melbourne a proud club? They've languished at the bottom of the ladder for years, and if we do the same it will be just as destructive. My point is that winning cures all ailments in football, just as losing saps the spirit from a club. If you'll take the liberty as an older supporter to say, 'you haven't seen what I've seen Sonny', then at least let me take mine as a younger supporter to say: no, but these battles are deserving of progressive thought nonetheless.

1eyedog
10-10-2014, 01:00 AM
They're not the same either.

The club was still there, but I thoroughly doubt that it was the same club. Institutions undergo change just as people do. I'm as different from my grandfather as the club is from his day to mine. Would you call Melbourne a proud club? They've languished at the bottom of the ladder for years, and if we do the same it will be just as destructive. My point is that winning cures all ailments in football, just as losing saps the spirit from a club. If you'll take the liberty as an older supporter to say, 'you haven't seen what I've seen Sonny', then at least let me take mine as a younger supporter to say: no, but these battles are deserving of progressive thought nonetheless.

Good post. I wasn't trying to suggest you don't understand what underpins the club it was an example. Nor was I implying that how you feel now is irrelevant because an old fart lived through 89.

Who can sleep?

Scorlibo
10-10-2014, 01:05 AM
Good post. I wasn't trying to suggest you don't understand what underpins the club it was an example. Nor was I implying that how you feel now is irrelevant because an old fart lived through 89.

Who can sleep?

I was ready for bed at 1pm at work today, then the news broke and hit me like 10 cappuccinos!

Ozza
10-10-2014, 01:52 AM
Reading through these posts, one that hit me was Lemmon talking about Griffen being 'his Chris Grant', having been the age group to have had Griff as one of the first full careers he's followed.

Chris Grant WAS my Chris Grant!

I feel sick about Griff leaving - but would have been beside myself if Grant left....so I can imagine you being particularly crushed.

SonofScray
10-10-2014, 02:06 AM
I can't sleep. I bet Griff is feeling restless as well.

I'm excited at the prospect of turning this into a massive win. I thought we should trade out Griffen this season anyway in a blockbuster move, so he has forced our hand a bit there.

ReLoad
10-10-2014, 06:47 AM
From the highs of the VFL premiership to the lows of our best player throwing his toys out of the cot.

Nobody in the workplace is irreplaceable, our fearless flounder is now a thing of the past.

The last couple of years since Bwian left have meant footy is a business and a workplace and I hate it like that.

SOh how am I holding up? I'm mad as hell.

chef
10-10-2014, 07:39 AM
I'll be fine as long as we receive fair compo.

Griffs shown his true colours so I'm not that pissed off his leaving.

Happy Days
10-10-2014, 09:33 AM
I tried to not post yesterday because I didn't think I was physically capable of keeping myself from degenerating to a Hot Sports Take level (I almost started a thread entitled "F*** Him").

Now that the dust has settled I totally support the club and am very proud of their response to the situation. It is as strong and as firm as we possibly could have been. I'm cautious of McCartney; it is ridiculous that any conflict could rise to this level and play out in such a manner, and it should have been solved long ago. This reads as largely the fault of the senior players, but it does call into question his man management skills. I have faith in the club to make the right decision with him and of it is to keep him on then I will trust their decision. The circumstances are incredibly disappointing but the reaction has been as pragmatic as anyone could expect.

The captain of a club is worth far more than the sum of his parts, and for him to leave is disgusting. But this situation reminds me of Ozymandias blowing up half the world in Watchmen. Hopefully there's world peace of whatever to come of all this.

Daughter of the West
10-10-2014, 11:15 AM
I am still shell shocked.

I'm disappointed, confused, angry, sad - the whole shebang.

Most of all, I'm upset that something is wrong at the club. And I, as a mere supporter, will never know the complete story. And I fully acknowledge that there are two sides to every story, and that the truth probably lies somewhere between the two. All that I will get to hear is half truths and media spin.

All I can hope is that the club now doesn't make any knee jerk reactions (I don't think dumping Bmac would achieve anything right now) and nails the trade with GWS. Then I might feel happier. But no matter what happens, I am a Bulldogs supporter and always will be.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I would love to hear from our core young group at this stage, especially Libba.

Murphy'sLore
10-10-2014, 11:45 AM
What a bloody roller coaster. From the shock and initial devastation of yesterday's news, to managing to convince myself that it was the dawn of a new era with access to at least one top pick/great player and the backbone shown by the administration -- to now feeling shocked and devastated again!

What the hell is going on? Is Griffen going to stay now? How can he? The only way we could salvage anything positive from this shambles was to stick behind Macca's long term plan. Now we've thrown that out the window too!

Just one bomb going off after another. My ears are ringing.

Topdog
10-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Shattered now, this is the lowest point in my 30 years of supporting this club. We are falling apart at the seams and no one is holding us up

Murphy'sLore
10-10-2014, 03:10 PM
We are holding each other up, on here at least.

Mofra
10-10-2014, 03:22 PM
13 hour work day today on top of this debacle, major research assignment due this coming Thursday to complete my Masters, it's going to be a crappy week or so.

BulldogBelle
10-10-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm starting to feel a bit more confident as things settle. The players that can win us a premiership are all still here. I can handle the over 25s going, but if one of our gun young players left I'd be a lot more pessimistic. I think finding a coach will be easier than some think due to our young list.

bornadog
10-10-2014, 03:39 PM
I'm starting to feel a bit more confident as things settle. The players that can win us a premiership are all still here. I can handle the over 25s going, but if one of our gun young players left I'd be a lot more pessimistic. I think finding a coach will be easier than some think due to our young list.

It was great to hear Stringer saying he is in for the long haul.

Murphy'sLore
10-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Yes, that was one bright moment in a very miserable 24 hours.

Maybe we should start a 'count our blessings' thread? Stringer, Bonti, Macrae, Hrovat, Roughie, Libba for starters...

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Yes, that was one bright moment in a very miserable 24 hours.

Maybe we should start a 'count our blessings' thread? Stringer, Bonti, Macrae, Hrovat, Roughie, Libba for starters...

I think we wait until the trade period is over. Who knows what will happen!

Maddog37
10-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Beer is now serving as my crutch.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Beer is now serving as my crutch.

That's a positive then....I'll drink to that.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Empty. Almost like grief as far as that process gets emotionally applied to sport.

1eyedog
10-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Empty. Almost like grief as far as that process gets emotionally applied to sport.

It's pretty crap isn't it. Kind of like a constant weight that you can't put down, I'm pretty down about the whole fiasco now.

KT31
10-10-2014, 11:11 PM
It was great to hear Stringer saying he is in for the long haul.

What was this on ?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2014, 11:12 PM
It's pretty crap isn't it. Kind of like a constant weight that you can't put down, I'm pretty down about the whole fiasco now.

Daydreaming fantasies have moved from big trades, to maybe something will happen to mitigate the current disaster. Big shift in mindset which as you say is devastating.

1eyedog
10-10-2014, 11:20 PM
Daydreaming fantasies have moved from big trades, to maybe something will happen to mitigate the current disaster. Big shift in mindset which as you say is devastating.

Yep I'm waiting for you to start the Carlisle commits to the Dogs thread or GWS agree to picks 4, 7 and Tomlinson trade to lift my spirits but there is more chance of a thread stating MaCrae requests trade to Collingwood going up unfortunately.

azabob
10-10-2014, 11:20 PM
What was this on ?
Said during Gordon's press conference.

azabob
10-10-2014, 11:21 PM
The irony is when this thread begun I was ok with the world.

Today I am sad and numb....

KT31
10-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Said during Gordon's press conference.
So not actually my him in person ?

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 11:29 PM
So not actually my him in person ?

Apparently Roughy and Morris went to the club when all this was going down to chat with PG. Stringer then got in contact with him and said he would love to come in and have a chat about it all.

They then allegedly had about an hour conversation and he was very impressed by him.

He did also mention others but no names.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Yep I'm waiting for you to start the Carlisle commits to the Dogs thread or GWS agree to picks 4, 7 and Tomlinson trade to lift my spirits but there is more chance of a thread stating MaCrae requests trade to Collingwood going up unfortunately.

Don't tempt fate... Last night I was going to start a thread titled what completely left field thing will happen next, not thinking after standing by the coach he'd be next. Is it too late to ask for a priority pick.

kruder
10-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Wow what a day. The most disappointing day I've had as a Doggies supporter. We finally had a chance to stand firm as a club yet once again we took the easy way out.... Make no mistake, Jones, Grant, Coons,Minson,Missy and Boyd should all follow Griff out the door, our club will be far better for it..

Good luck Macca. Loved your passion from day one for a hard contested two way football side. Your better off without the Doggies as mediocrity and complacency obviously doesn't sit all that well with you.

KT31
10-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Wow what a day. The most disappointing day I've had as a Doggies supporter. We finally had a chance to stand firm as a club yet once again we took the easy way out.... Make no mistake, Jones, Grant, Coons,Minson,Missy and Boyd should all follow Griff out the door, our club will be far better for it..

Good luck Macca. Loved your passion from day one for a hard contested two way football side. Your better off without the Doggies as mediocrity and complacency obviously doesn't sit all that well with you.
Decision was B.Macs and has not been reported any other way, so why hold the club to blame.
As far as we know the club has backed him to the hilt.

Remi Moses
11-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Decision was B.Macs and has not been reported any other way, so why hold the club to blame.
As far as we know the club has backed him to the hilt.

Come on. That's nonsense