PDA

View Full Version : Keeping players who asked to be traded

boydogs
09-10-2014, 08:53 PM
We have plenty of other threads about specific trades and players, but I want to discuss what Woofers think about keeping players who have asked to be traded. The club has stated that's exactly what we will do with Ryan Griffen, and we're yet to get a deal over the line for Jones, Tutt or Cooney. Collingwood have flagged keeping Beams if they don't get what they want from Brisbane too.

Is the relationship irrepairably destroyed once a player says they want out? Or can mature adults accept the player wanted to leave but wasn't able to and get on with it? Does it affect the playing group knowing one of them didn't want to be there? Have there been any examples of keeping players who wanted out in the past, and how did they turn out?

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 09:04 PM
You don't keep players who ask to be traded. It's untenable. Cash in now.

'Next'

Eastdog
09-10-2014, 09:09 PM
I don't like the idea of a player who wants out and we end up keeping them when their heart isn't in it.

Doc26
09-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Good topic for discussion.

Worked out fine for Sydney when Ryan O'Keefe requested a trade back to Melbourne in 2008. Sydney held their position. He went on to win their Bob Skilton Medal the following year and six years on has just announced his retirement after a stellar career with two premierships to his name.

GVGjr
09-10-2014, 09:17 PM
There is pros and cons for both approaches but in essence if someone is bitter then you should exit them quickly. If it's an emotional decision then you might be able to turn them around.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 09:25 PM
There is pros and cons for both approaches but in essence if someone is bitter then you should exit them quickly. If it's an emotional decision then you might be able to turn them around.

In this case, the club needs to stick fat and refuse the trade. See what happens on the last day of trade month as to what we can get and make the call. Boyd must be in the deal, pick 19 and swap 4 and 6 (thus ensuring Paddy or Wright as twin towers for the next decade).

stefoid
09-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Its the transformational trade the board would have secretly contemplated many times but never had the balls to openly initiate. There is no way we will keep Grif.

GVGjr
09-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Let's try and stay on topic please

Go_Dogs
09-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Dustin Martin didn't seem too concerned by it this year, although he wasn't contracted when we said he would leave, IIRC.

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Dustin Martin didn't seem too concerned by it this year, although he wasn't contracted when we said he would leave, IIRC.

Unlike Dustin, we didn't think that Ryan was a dropkick though.

boydogs
10-10-2014, 02:04 AM
Good topic for discussion.

Worked out fine for Sydney when Ryan O'Keefe requested a trade back to Melbourne in 2008. Sydney held their position. He went on to win their Bob Skilton Medal the following year and six years on has just announced his retirement after a stellar career with two premierships to his name.

I think he's probably the poster boy, but I can't think of any others. Gilbee I think was close before Rohde left, but is there anyone else who requested a trade where a deal couldn't be reached and they continued on?

The positions from Collingwood & WB on Beams & Griff may be more posturing than actually being happy to keep them where there are, though they are wanting to leave for different reasons

SonofScray
10-10-2014, 02:15 AM
My initial thoughts are to get them out, you don't want players who aren't emotionally invested in the Club and its pursuit of a flag. As soon as that spirit is gone, they become meat for the market.

FrediKanoute
10-10-2014, 02:27 AM
More recent, but different sport is Morgan Schneiderlein for Southampton - saw his manager and half a dozen players from the senior squad get traded out. Had a pretty good world cup for France and asked to be sold. Had a meeting with the club they said no, he had a rant on Twitter effectively saying that his relationship with the club was destroyed. Since the season started he has been in wonderful form for Southampton. Article here - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9507613/transfer-news-morgan-schneiderlin-lifts-the-lid-on-his-summer-at-Southampton

Can we reconcile with Griffin/Jones/Tutt/Cooney etc? I think the club is professional enough to put things behind them and get on with it. If Jones stays and kicks 10 in ROund 1 the outpouring from supporters will be OTT. We are a fickle bunch.

Bulldog4life
10-10-2014, 05:44 PM
I remember years ago Wayne Campbell walked out on Richmond and finally after much angst went back and played another 100 or so games with them.

always right
10-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Perhaps the bigger question is why they'd want to come back?

Webby
10-10-2014, 05:52 PM
I remember years ago Wayne Campbell walked out on Richmond and finally after much angst went back and played another 100 or so games with them.

Yep.... And they're Richmond for a reason..!