PDA

View Full Version : Culture

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Whether or not our coach has faults (and I'm sure every coach does), I have been dismayed by the repeated and vitriolic attacks on him by posters (here and BF) over a sustained period of time.

Like others I am extremely disappointed to see our most accomplished player and captain walk. Griff seems a nice young man and he is pure class on the footy field, it would certainly seem that appointing him captain though was a serious misjudgement.

What seems clear to me is that we have a coach who has a clear view on how to build a successful club for the long term, and the type of people you need to have pulling on the jumpers each week. He has consistently brought in these types of players from the moment he set foot in the door. He inherited players (some extremely successful) who didn't fit this mould, or weren't prepared to buy in.

Personally I am proud that our club is prepared to back itself in, it would have been far easier to throw out the coach than endure this end of season. But the board, the management and the president have stuck to its guns and are willing to wear some pain now in order to become something greater in the future.

I am confident in our recruitment strategy, and I am confident that Macca will assemble a list of tough, hardworking, relentless footballers who play for each other and other clubs will dread playing against. When that happens we will all be proud to call ourselves bulldogs.

I am sick of people being happy with personal awards, or call themselves successful because they played in the finals. Its line in the sand time folks, and I stand with the club. Time to change the culture, because it aint working and it hasn't been working for a long time.

Remi Moses
09-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Excellent post .
The wrong and the weakest form of action is to sack the coach .
The senior players win out and continue to pass down bad habits .

AndrewP6
09-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Won't have to worry about senior players; if they keep McCartney, we won't have any left. It's abundantly clear his way is not appreciated, and I'd argue not working. They're only being bullish about him so they don't have to admit they got it wrong. I'll be extremely disappointed if he isn't sent packing shortly. I'm anticipating disappointment. Senior players don't just walk when they have bought in.

GVGjr
09-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Won't have to worry about senior players; if they keep McCartney, we won't have any left. It's abundantly clear his way is not appreciated, and I'd argue not working. They're only being bullish about him so they don't have to admit they got it wrong. I'll be extremely disappointed if he isn't sent packing shortly. I'm anticipating disappointment. Senior players don't just walk when they have bought in.

Are you really saying the likes of Chris Grant and Peter Gordon can't make the hard decisions and are putting their own pride above the club?

1eyedog
09-10-2014, 11:41 PM

I understand you're extremely disappointed but it's no longer important from a purely football perspective that the senior players buy in anymore. Minson, Cooney or Griffen will not play finals football at this club so they are no longer embedded in our long-term trajectory.

AndrewP6
09-10-2014, 11:43 PM
Are you really saying the likes of Chris Grant and Peter Gordon can't make the hard decisions and are putting their own pride above the club?

When it comes to the coach, yes.

Greystache
09-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Good post BS.

The players who want out are the ones that embraced a style and culture that never delivered when it counts. When someone comes in who wants to change the happy little mediocre groove they settled into of course they're going to rebel. Rather than change they want the person driving the change to be removed. In generations gone by they'd have got their way and the cycle would have continued onto the next generation, but this time around we have stronger leadership and the intestinal fortitude to stay strong and not take the easy option.

I applaude the response from Peter Gordon and hope this will finally be the change of culture we've so badly needed.

GVGjr
09-10-2014, 11:48 PM
When it comes to the coach, yes.
So Grant and Gordon don't have the clubs best interest at heart? Huge call I would have thought.

bornadog
09-10-2014, 11:49 PM

I am with you.

In the work place most professional companies give their employees an end of year appraisal. Many mangers get this wrong because they think an end of year appraisal is the time to get stuck into the non-performing employees. If an employee is not performing during the year that is the time to have a discussion and resolve issues. Duuring the year-end appraisal there should be no surprises, because it always turns out ugly.

AndrewP6
09-10-2014, 11:50 PM
So Grant and Gordon don't have the clubs best interest at heart? Huge call I would have thought.

Oh I'm sure they believe they do. I just think they're completely wrong.

BulldogBelle
09-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Great post BS.
This club has been a failure (GF's played) for decades. Hard decisions need to be made and l think with Griff leaving and astute drafting it will give us an opportunity to build a very strong culture and hopefully become a very successful club within the next 5 to 10 years.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 11:57 PM
I understand you're extremely disappointed but it's no longer important from a purely football perspective that the senior players buy in anymore. Minson, Cooney or Griffen will not play finals football at this club so they are no longer embedded in our long-term trajectory.

I don't understand the comment from a few along this line. Last week I don't recall anyone, not one person, on this forum advocating Griffen, Cooney & Minson being traded. Not having a crack, but this wasn't said by anyone last week. Shit hits the fan, culture crisis and all of a sudden there's a narrative about why this good long term. Yesterday the narrative was recruit a 30 year old contracted defender to add experience to the list, and today it's get rid of anyone over 26. It's a little too 'multiple migs' right now. Having the core senior players long term plans have been around walk out isn't good. In fact it's worse than any worst case scenario I'd thought of for the post season. If after the VFL GF you said Jones, Tutt, Griff, Minson, Cooney, Higgins & Tutt would all walk I would have said there's no way in hell that would happen. I'm not angry in the yelling, blood pressure sense, it's the realisation the 32 years of teasing Iv had about being being a member an unsuccessful club that continually makes bad decisions and loses good players is a little bit more valid than yesterday. All the insults are coming home to roost right now. I thought our shit was in the rear view mirror, but it's smashed through the engine bay and windscreen. And you know that the AFL and sponsors are thinking were a little less commercially viable and our member base will shrink again. I give mine no matter what, but the ramifications are not just a few players for a few draft picks. Not to mention no available player has picked us yet either, and probably won't. So, so empty.

F'scary
10-10-2014, 12:36 AM
In the work place most professional companies give their employees an end of year appraisal. Many mangers get this wrong because they think an end of year appraisal is the time to get stuck into the non-performing employees. If an employee is not performing during the year that is the time to have a discussion and resolve issues. Duuring the year-end appraisal there should be no surprises, because it always turns out ugly.

Spot on, a mistake may have been made but... this could still all work out well in the end because we need to fast track change in the list if we are going to get anywhere.

bornadog
10-10-2014, 12:39 AM
Spot on, a mistake may have been made but... this could still all work out well in the end because we need to fast track change in the list if we are going to get anywhere.

What my concern is the same mistake will continue. We have bad management.

Twodogs
10-10-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't understand the comment from a few along this line. Last week I don't recall anyone, not one person, on this forum advocating Griffen, Cooney & Minson being traded. Not having a crack, but this wasn't said by anyone last week. Shit hits the fan, culture crisis and all of a sudden there's a narrative about why this good long term. Yesterday the narrative was recruit a 30 year old contracted defender to add experience to the list, and today it's get rid of anyone over 26. It's a little too 'multiple migs' right now. Having the core senior players long term plans have been around walk out isn't good. In fact it's worse than any worst case scenario I'd thought of for the post season. If after the VFL GF you said Jones, Tutt, Griff, Minson, Cooney, Higgins & Tutt would all walk I would have said there's no way in hell that would happen. I'm not angry in the yelling, blood pressure sense, it's the realisation the 32 years of teasing Iv had about being being a member an unsuccessful club that continually makes bad decisions and loses good players is a little bit more valid than yesterday. All the insults are coming home to roost right now. I thought our shit was in the rear view mirror, but it's smashed through the engine bay and windscreen. And you know that the AFL and sponsors are thinking were a little less commercially viable and our member base will shrink again. I give mine no matter what, but the ramifications are not just a few players for a few draft picks. Not to mention no available player has picked us yet either, and probably won't. So, so empty.

There's two Tutts?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2014, 12:48 AM
There's two Tutts?

Yep, one plays good VFL footy. The other one can't play AFL footy to the same standard.