PDA

View Full Version : Has our President and CEO convinced you we are still on the right track.

Eastdog
10-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Yes or No. And if you want a reason behind why you choose yes or no.

Mofra
10-10-2014, 01:11 PM
No.

We will be forced to appoint a sub-coach (we can't appoint a head coach) who is answerable to the playing group and cannot provide them with negative feedback if it hurts their feelings.

We are arse-up at the moment and I really feel for the next coach.

westdog54
10-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Absolutely not.

It seems that appeasing the playing group is the priority.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 01:14 PM
No, we seem to be spiralling downwards but the next month will be interesting.

I am hoping this is a bulldog rebirth.

azabob
10-10-2014, 01:14 PM
No...

BulldogBelle
10-10-2014, 01:15 PM
No. The board had no more information today than what it had after the review, but today sack the coach only after this Ryan Griffen fiasco. If they had any courage they would have sacked McCartney after the review. The board is reactive, not pro-active,

jazzadogs
10-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Griffen walking out made Macca lose faith in himself. He is a far too genuine person for that not to affect him. How could he go on and have any confidence addressing the group in future, knowing that their 'leader' no longer wanted to be there?

I didn't hear the whole presser (feed was cutting out), but I believe that Macca resigned of his own will, based on Griffen's decision.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 01:20 PM
We're on the right track, it's just that we got off at the wrong station, have missed the last train due to looking for a timetable, will need to sleep in a dumpster for the night, get robbed by a street gang, shower in a puddle, then beg for a ticket to get back on the first one leaving because we have no money left.

We're on the right track.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2014, 01:23 PM
No.

It's never been more certain that we're going nowhere.

Greystache
10-10-2014, 01:24 PM
No.

We're a club that's been run by mollycoddled senior players for generations. Players who've never taken us to success, yet are still revered as greats. Players who continually fail at the big moments on the field, yet who bully the younger players and the coaches off it.

Today was reinforcement that it will continue well into the future.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-10-2014, 01:25 PM
No.

When they appointed Macca, it seemed clear by their actions, and statements, and has been backed up at regular points along the way, that this was the process of a seismic change in culture at the Bulldogs. I was excited by this prospect of a long term vision.
Even as late as yesterday their statements were still along this vein. I was in full support and it reinforced my belief our administration was demonstrating its commitment to this new ideal.
They must've known that given the environment we were entering (with GC & GWS coming into the competition) we were going to be up against it for the next few years. They would've known the pressure would be on at some stage and I thought for once we would display the type of courage and resolve that would see us move from also-rans into a serious club.

Sadly the way in which they have wilted when an opportunity to reinforce the cultural change presented itself has shaken my belief in them. This 'crisis' was a clear opportunity for the club to forge ahead and stamp ourselves as being a club that would not allow small factions of players to run the show. To be a club that encouraged, no, demanded it's players strive for continued improvement towards the common goal of bettering the team. We have renounced that ideal today, and have basically said 'when it gets tough, and the pressure is on to perform, instead of rising to that challenge, find someone else who will be less demanding of the players'.

It's rubbish and it smacks of desperation and a need to placate the vocal minority who don't get what was trying to be built and who don't understand that in the current football environment our performances were the combination of a perfect storm. That is a poor list inherited from the last administration & our bottoming out coinciding with the talent drain caused by GWS and GC hoovering up all the top end talent.
If those players who agitated for this change remain at this club next year, I'm not sure I can continue to support the team. In fact I'm really starting to wonder whether I should've put so much effort into ingraining the bulldogs mantra into my 18 month old son. He's a Born a bulldog member, but I'm not sure I want him to go through the misery I've endured in my 38 years supporting the Dogs. Are the lack of strength and integrity that the club has shown today really the sort of ideals I want my child to be associated with?

Murphy'sLore
10-10-2014, 01:31 PM
We are all assuming that Macca was pushed, and blaming the board and PG accordingly. If he really made the decision freely, then we can't blame it all on the club administration.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 01:33 PM
No !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sedat
10-10-2014, 01:37 PM
I'll answer that at the end of next week. I'd like to think that Gordon is a smart cookie and that his public hardline stance in relation honouring Griffen's contract is posturing so that GWS have to come to the table with a significant offer.

If the senior players are also cleared out by next Friday, I would say that this situation is far less embarrassing than it otherwise will be if the senior players are retained. I am still hopeful of a complete cleanout of said senior players so that we can raid and plunder this draft good and proper and set ourselves up for a sustained dynasty. Losing BMac's coaching ability is not an issue IMO (even his strongest supporters would concede that he really isn't much chop as a match day coach), but losing him as coach after backing him all the way is a major image problem for us, no matter how Peter spun it today - admittedly he handled a very difficult presser with great honesty and transparency but it doesn't take away from the message that we have poor leadership.

whythelongface
10-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Griffen walking out made Macca lose faith in himself. He is a far too genuine person for that not to affect him. How could he go on and have any confidence addressing the group in future, knowing that their 'leader' no longer wanted to be there?

I didn't hear the whole presser (feed was cutting out), but I believe that Macca resigned of his own will, based on Griffen's decision.

I actually think that there is a strong possibility that could have been one of the catalysts and that Macca potentially resigned based on the fact that he had lost the Captain. He would not have slept last night whilst pondering on the events of the last 24 hours. It would have been a big kick in the guts to him. He would have had serious doubts that he could continue in the capacity as coach, knowing full well that the playing group would be thinking that hey our previous captain has lost faith in you as have some senior players.

Jeanette54
10-10-2014, 01:39 PM
The last time I can think of when there was a "blow up" of this magnitude was in 1958-1959.

History shows us we were in a Grand Final just two years later.

Handled correctly this whole schebang could just be an opportunity.

Its now up to the admin to make the right decisions, and the supporters to remain loyal.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Emphatic No.

Next years membership numbers will show this.
Im still not clear what our list management strategy is and where the club is headed.
We were apparently throwing $1.5m to Tom Lonergan.
Shouldn't Garlick bare some responsibility for the hire in the first place?
The same people who gave us McCartney are now tasked with getting us a replacement....

chef
10-10-2014, 02:13 PM
No..

G-Mo77
10-10-2014, 02:19 PM
No.

Their next move has got to show that "They run the club"

Trade Griffen, Trade Cooney and who ever else is left that don't want to be here. Start off fresh with more picks and new players building a new culture then I'll have some more faith. If they keep these guys around it shows they have no back bone.

1eyedog
10-10-2014, 02:21 PM
We're on the right track, it's just that we got off at the wrong station, have missed the last train due to looking for a timetable, will need to sleep in a dumpster for the night, get robbed by a street gang, shower in a puddle, then beg for a ticket to get back on the first one leaving because we have no money left.

We're on the right track.

Nope it's a train wreck.

always right
10-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Club is on a precipice and their next decision will be critical. Hang onto the recalcitrants and the club's support will self destruct. They still have an opportuntiy to rescue something out of the wreckage if they take the tough decision to give marching orders to any player who isn't fully on board....starting with the captain.

Huge period coming up where we get the trades and drafting right, hire a new coach and probebaly new assistants. Then they have to sell the vision to supporters all over again. I'm hopeful but not confident they can achieve this.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 02:27 PM
I would have thought an email out to members today outlining exactly what has happened and some clarity over events over the past few weeks would be a good idea....but maybe I am expecting too much.

Collingwood had a town hall session for all their members to askt Board, management and leadership group what was going on but I doubt we will be given that opportunity....

always right
10-10-2014, 02:30 PM
I would have thought an email out to members today outlining exactly what has happened and some clarity over events over the past few weeks would be a good idea....but maybe I am expecting too much.

Collingwood had a town hall session for all their members to askt Board, management and leadership group what was going on but I doubt we will be given that opportunity....

Ours would be a twilight meeting on a Sunday. Our supporters wouldn't turn up.

G-Mo77
10-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Ours would be a twilight meeting on a Sunday. Our supporters wouldn't turn up.

Thanks always right! :D

bornadog
10-10-2014, 02:37 PM
No.

We will be forced to appoint a sub-coach (we can't appoint a head coach) who is answerable to the playing group and cannot provide them with negative feedback if it hurts their feelings.

We are arse-up at the moment and I really feel for the next coach.

There is more to it than a simple thing like that.

bornadog
10-10-2014, 02:43 PM
I'll answer that at the end of next week. I'd like to think that Gordon is a smart cookie and that his public hardline stance in relation honouring Griffen's contract is posturing so that GWS have to come to the table with a significant offer.

If the senior players are also cleared out by next Friday, I would say that this situation is far less embarrassing than it otherwise will be if the senior players are retained. I am still hopeful of a complete cleanout of said senior players so that we can raid and plunder this draft good and proper and set ourselves up for a sustained dynasty. Losing BMac's coaching ability is not an issue IMO (even his strongest supporters would concede that he really isn't much chop as a match day coach), but losing him as coach after backing him all the way is a major image problem for us, no matter how Peter spun it today - admittedly he handled a very difficult presser with great honesty and transparency but it doesn't take away from the message that we have poor leadership.

Which Senior players? Murphy, Morris or do you mean Griffen, or Boyd and Minson????

Its more than senior players not happy under Macca and that is the concern.

azabob
10-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Which Senior players? Murphy, Morris or do you mean Griffen, or Boyd and Minson????

From what I can gather is the senior players -

Griffen, Boyd, Cooney and Minson are not happy with the footy club.

Morris, Gia and Murphy are happy with the footy club.

How do you see it?

josie
10-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Hi BAD

You seem to know more than we do and more than Club has been telling us.

From what's been told to us officially Macca acknowledged his communication skills need improvement ( and also some help with match day tactics) and that there were plans in place to improve that:- with initial support of Captain. Since then it's all gone pear shaped.

Not sure we are going to receive more info. from Club.

bornadog
10-10-2014, 03:08 PM
From what I can gather is the senior players -

Griffen, Boyd, Cooney and Minson are not happy with the footy club.

Morris, Gia and Murphy are happy with the footy club.

How do you see it?

We don't know about Gia, Morris, Murphy on whether happy or not.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Afraid not. This is soul destroying.

always right
10-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Interesting tweet from Mark Stevens.

https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/520362273232003072

Sedat
10-10-2014, 03:11 PM

Griffen, Minson and Cooney (no-one in their right mind would want Boyd). For credibility's sake, they simply cannot return to the club under this current board - Peter Gordon made a point of highlighting the huge opportunity to really plunder the draft when he made his speech at the new logo presentation and I trust that this philosophy has not altered its course one iota even in light of recent events.

KT31
10-10-2014, 03:19 PM
I think we have come off the track, the next couple of weeks will tell if we are just a derail or a true wreck.

MrMahatma
10-10-2014, 03:43 PM
We're the softest club. Soft players. Soft management. Soft coach who walked away (apparently).

Everyone needs to harden up. Change hurts.

A famous business quite: Culture eats strategy for breakfast.

We needed to change the "players run the show" culture. We had the best chance ever. We blew it. We're a joke of a club. Gordon and Garlick put the wheels in motion to rebuild. They baulked at the first hurdle. Maybe they need to fall on the sword.

If you're not part of the solution...

Twodogs
10-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah. If the list manager stays and does his job. He has to get us the best deal we can for Griff.

If we can parlay Griff into 3 picks and let Dalrymple do his job then maybe we can turn this to our advantage.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 04:04 PM
We'll be ok, most of the senior blokes will be finished soon regardless and I'm confident that blokes like Stringer can see the opportunity to take over the club and drive the standards.

I think the first two years the players were willing to buy into the development phase but this year they rightfully would have expected to see some improvement, which didn't really eventuate. No doubt Macca could see that also and this probably had an effect on him as a coach as the pressure started to mount.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Nope,it's a DAMN TRAIN WRECK!!

SonofScray
10-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Griffen, Minson and Cooney (no-one in their right mind would want Boyd). For credibility's sake, they simply cannot return to the club under this current board - Peter Gordon made a point of highlighting the huge opportunity to really plunder the draft when he made his speech at the new logo presentation and I trust that this philosophy has not altered its course one iota even in light of recent events.

Exactly. We must make good on this front, do what we said would do. Load up on elite talent now, the timing is right.

stefoid
10-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Swapping senior players for good draft picks and good players was/is exactly the right amount of pruning that our list requires to make something better grow.

I can only conclude that sacking bMac was the result of younger players also harbouring doubts about the coach, specifically I think Stringer and Roughead were mentioned in an article as contacting the club after Griffen announced he wanted to leave.

I mean, imagine if players like Dal, Libba, Stringer, Roughie, or Dalhaus wanted to break their contracts as early as this year or next because of BMac. That wouldnt be a pruning, that would be obliteration.

If the board got any inkling that a walkout by younger players was on the cards, they would have had to act.

As it is, I still look forward to whatever we can extract from GWS for Grif, a massive draft, and poaching the @#$@ out of GWS's list next year.