PDA

View Full Version : Right captain ?

ledge
10-10-2014, 06:59 PM
I have one question that needs to be asked and might have been the reason it all went wrong, why did macca make a bloke captain who didn't want to be one or feel comfortable being one ?
A captain should be a bloke with confidence and leadership qualities on and off the field.. If our captain was Boyd or Murphy would all this stuff have been avoided ?
The respect a player like Murphy would have, players would have felt they were letting the captain down such is his standing at the club.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Murphy for remainder of his career so it gives us time for young guys to come through.

Dancin' Douggy
10-10-2014, 07:15 PM
I always thought Murphy should have been the captain.

bornadog
10-10-2014, 09:53 PM
I always thought Murphy should have been the captain.
Agree or Gia

AndrewP6
11-10-2014, 12:37 AM
In answer to the question... I haven't got the faintest idea. Yet another poor management decision.

jazzadogs
11-10-2014, 12:45 AM
Wasn't this a leading teams style appointment by the players? Not sure we can blame management for that...more indicative of the cancer we now know has been growing in our playing group for a while.

Ozza
11-10-2014, 12:46 AM
I might be missing something- but I don't recall the protesting of what a bad choice Griffen was, when it was announced 10-11 months ago.

I'm also pretty confident that Ryan didn't get dragged kicking and screaming into the role.
In fact the overriding reaction was that he had captained well when filling in the previous year and that the time was right for our most influential player to lead the club.

SonofScray
11-10-2014, 12:47 AM
A lack of honesty and ownership from Griffen was a contributing factor.

jazzadogs
11-10-2014, 01:29 AM
Quote from Macca in the lead up to Griffen's 200th match, only a few short months ago:

"There's different styles of captaincy. There's captains who are strong and firm and make great speeches and then there's Ryan, who we all love and is like a big brother.

"I know that he cares for them deeply and they’re very important to him."

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-14/big-brother-catches-up)

Greystache
11-10-2014, 04:21 AM
It's hard to believe we've got a group of senior players who are strong enough behind the scenes to remove a coach, but not one who is strong enough to be the stand out candidate to captain the club. I guess that's the definition of Bulldogs leadership.

Remi Moses
11-10-2014, 04:28 AM
It's hard to believe we've got a group of senior players who are strong enough behind the scenes to remove a coach, but not one who is strong enough to be the stand out candidate to captain the club. I guess that's the definition of Bulldogs leadership.

How pathetic is Griffen though ?
Why take the job in the first place ?
Wants the quiet life up in Wastelands tumbleweed on good coin ( got doubts he's on less coin) under no pressure .

jeemak
11-10-2014, 04:29 AM
It's clear to me the Captain was the right choice at the time, but was a person completely exposed to and inadequate in dealing with the bullshit that comes with managing a bunch of strong willed and selfish players who have not achieved anything.

Griffen's move to go to GWS is more about getting away from his peers, than it is about getting away from the captaincy, the coach and the club.

I'll always hate the way he went about it, but it was a turkey shoot from the start and he's paid for it with his reputation.

I just hope the club gets rid of of as many of the negative influences it can in this trade period, and moves on them again next year to weed out the rest of them.

Remi Moses
11-10-2014, 04:31 AM
In answer to the question... I haven't got the faintest idea. Yet another poor management decision.

There was no questioning when the appointment was made ?
Boyd obviously thought he was also the right man also, and also if he didn't want the Job why not just utter the mere words.
" don't think I'm the man for the job" . Piss weak

Topdog
11-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Boyd obviously thought he was also the right man also, and also if he didn't want the Job why not just utter the mere words.

There was questioning as Griff has always stated he doesn't want to be captain. However there were no bloody alternatives.

Dancin' Douggy
11-10-2014, 09:55 AM
I never 'protested' but I have always believed Murphy was the clear stand out spiritual leader and should have been made captain.

Bulldog4life
11-10-2014, 01:24 PM

Yep Boyddy asked Griffen whether he was ready to take over as captain from what I remember. He said yes. Wasn't pushed into it by any means.

AndrewP6
11-10-2014, 05:49 PM
I didn't say there was no questioning. Griff has always struck me as the type to go along with what was asked, hence his taking on something he wasn't fully comfortable with. They should've known him better, and chosen someone else.