PDA

View Full Version : Gameplan and List with a new coach?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2014, 11:23 PM
I'm concerned on this specific issue which is why a seperate thread.

Our coach and recruiters have been working to stock piling inside mids, to crack in, win contested footy, have courage over skill, etc.

Existing mids, runners in Higgins, Cooney, Tutt and Griffen are gone. That's a fair bit of our runners.

If a new coach believes that this gameplan is redundant and has a vastly different philosophy what do we do with Boyd, Jong, Wallis, Smith, Prudden, Picken, Pearce etc, etc on top of our good mids who aren't natrually blessed with pace.

i think we have limited pace now and a glut of one paced, average skilled cracking in types. Do we look for a coach who believes in this inside mid style footy as our list tends towards it, or look at someone who likes the play-on model the Hawks & Cats used this year, but without the players to do it. Either way, I think we are in deep strife.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 11:36 PM
It's a good point and probably highlights why Monty would be a great candidate.

Yes I can see the benefits of bringing in someone from the outside and yes I can see the problems with appointing someone who has essentially been involved with all of this.

But he did win assistant coach of the year, I'm not sure how that's voted/judged on though? But it's has to be a good thing right..?

Quick ball movement is what makes a side look 'quick' in my opinion. Yes it's great to have some line breakers in your side, but it's looking like we will have a few picks to play with to help rectify this area.

bornadog
11-10-2014, 12:16 AM
Contested footy will always be around. What we have lacked is pace to spread from the contest. The work already done is not wasted, we can build on this.

boydogs
11-10-2014, 01:14 AM
Contested footy will always be around. What we have lacked is pace to spread from the contest. The work already done is not wasted, we can build on this.

Yep, we struggled to move beyond the numbers around the ball approach this year but the contested ball work will hold us in good stead