PDA

View Full Version : Ryan 'It's too hard' Griffen Compo nearest the pin.

chef
12-10-2014, 10:47 AM
I think we'll end up with pick 4 and a decent young player. Hopefully one of Plowman, McCarthy or Tomlinson.

DOG GOD
12-10-2014, 10:51 AM
I agree Chef...pick 4 and a decent kpp.

KT31
12-10-2014, 11:02 AM
I agree but at the end off the day would not be to disappointed if it was pick 4 and another mid pick.
For me at this stage is to get the trade done early and move on so we can try to salvage something out of the trade period.

GVGjr
12-10-2014, 11:04 AM
I agree but at the end off the day would not be to disappointed if it was pick 4 and another mid pick.
For me at this stage is to get the trade done early and move on so we can try to salvage something out of the trade period.

So a 2nd rounder KT? What about a 3rd round pick?

Doc26
12-10-2014, 11:27 AM
I'd be looking to trade for their best available players to meet our key position need. If we could pry Tomlinson and McCarthy from them we will have done very well.

G-Mo77
12-10-2014, 11:32 AM
chef is on the money on this. I think that would be a great return for Griffen.

LostDoggy
12-10-2014, 11:33 AM
I would do Pick 4 and Tomlinson for Griffen and one of our second rounders.

Bulldog4life
12-10-2014, 11:41 AM
I think we'll end up with pick 4 and a decent young player. Hopefully one of Plowman, McCarthy or Tomlinson.

Agree Chef although I would add Stewart to the three you mentioned. He played very well in the last game against us.

ledge
12-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Not interested in Wright or Mc Cartin all of a sudden ?

Doc26
12-10-2014, 11:54 AM

I am but I see St.Kilda taking McCartin at 1 and I wouldn't be surprised to see Wright go to Melbourne at 3 given that Clark has now gone and some injury concerns hanging over Hogan.

anfo27
12-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Pick 4 gets us Wright.

anfo27
12-10-2014, 11:55 AM
I am but I see St.Kilda taking McCartin at 1 and I wouldn't be surprised to see Wright go to Melbourne at 3 given that Clark has now gone and some injury concerns hanging over Hogan.

So we go through all this crap and still miss out on a KPF?

Scorlibo
12-10-2014, 11:56 AM
If GWS can manage to get pick 7, I think this deal would be fair:

Griffen, pick 26 for picks 4 and 7.

If it's a choice between McCarthy, Tomlinson and Jaksch as an alternative to stocking up on picks then I'm definitely in the McCarthy camp, but we would have to snare a bigger key position player in the draft as well, Peter Wright with any luck.

anfo27
12-10-2014, 11:59 AM
I like McCarthy aggression but how tall is he?

Doc26
12-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Let's just say he's taller than Pavlich.

chef
12-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Pick 4 should get one of them, if not we'll get a darn good player in the 'Griffen' class.

Templeton31
12-10-2014, 12:35 PM
what about we swap griffen for pick 4 and 7. then pick 4,5 and 7 to the dees for 2 and 3? we get wright and mccartin? Dees still get Brayshaw but then get an extra top 10 pick.

I would think its an option.

chef
12-10-2014, 12:37 PM
what about we swap griffen for pick 4 and 7. then pick 4,5 and 7 to the dees for 2 and 3? we get wright and mccartin? Dees still get Brayshaw but then get an extra top 10 pick.

I would think its an option.

Would you swap picks 4 & 7 for Griffen if he wasn't a Dogs player?

GVGjr
12-10-2014, 12:38 PM

Around 195cm

Mofra
12-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Do we have 23 other first round picks on our list in this scenario?

The Doctor
12-10-2014, 01:00 PM
I think we may have an unexpected ally in our dealings with GWS. The AFL.

They would love to see a player of Griffen's standing get to GWS and I'm sure we can lobby them to help get GWS to pay a bit over the odds. their CEO is an AFL old boy. So we stand our ground and get them to commit to paying overs. If there is one club in the AFL who can afford overs it's GWS

Therefore if they want the jewel in our crown we should be be demanding picks 4 & 7 or pick 4 and a hot shot youngster.

stefoid
12-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Dont want to be coughing up 2nd rounders, we are going to need all the picks we can get to fill the list. I like the idea of splitting pick 7 for a decent player that meets a need, and a pick in the teens.

i.e.

pick 4, mcarthy (former pick 14) and pick 19 for Grif

We take wright at pick 4 and one of lever/durdin/laverde at pick 6.

pick 19 we hope for a weller/marchbank, both who I read we rate (on forums).

Thats 4 top 20 picks, or equivilant, right there... Now we just have to use two 2nds and two 3rds to fill out the list. If we trade Coons, We would be looking at upgrading our 3rd to norths 2nd, rather than take a stinking 4th rounder. 4 top 20 picks, three 2nds and one 3rd!!

Webby
12-10-2014, 01:07 PM

They would love to see a player of Griffen's standing get to GWS and I'm sure we can lobby them to help get GWS to pay a bit over the odds. their CEO is an AFL old boy. So we stand our ground and get them to commit to paying overs. If there is one club in the AFL who can afford overs it's GWS

Therefore if they want the jewel in our crown we should be be demanding picks 4 & 7 or pick 4 and a hot shot youngster.

That's a great observation. Hadn't thought of it myself, but now that you mention it, it makes a hell of a lot of sense. I personally hate the AFL meddling, but on this rare occasion, it might be helpful..

On a side, it's my birthday today. Got a message from the club wishing me a happy birthday. I did think to myself "how ironic!"..

chef
12-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Do we have 23 other first round picks on our list in this scenario?

Even if we did we wouldn't be swapping picks 4 & 7 for him. To me it's pipe dream stuff.

F'scary
12-10-2014, 01:22 PM
It has got to be pick 4 + McCarthy (2013 round 1, pick 13, 19.5 yo, 195cm, 83kg - source: Footywire) + their pick 40 as steak knives or Dylan Addison as steak knives. (Addison only got 5 games with them in his inaugural year, 2014).

Jam Donuts
12-10-2014, 01:23 PM
That's a great observation. Hadn't thought of it myself, but now that you mention it, it makes a hell of a lot of sense. I personally hate the AFL meddling, but on this rare occasion, it might be helpful..

On a side, it's my birthday today. Got a message from the club wishing me a happy birthday. I did think to myself "how ironic!"..
Happy Birthday Webby

F'scary
12-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Dont want to be coughing up 2nd rounders, we are going to need all the picks we can get to fill the list. I like the idea of splitting pick 7 for a decent player that meets a need, and a pick in the teens.

i.e.

pick 4, mcarthy (former pick 14) and pick 19 for Grif

We take wright at pick 4 and one of lever/durdin/laverde at pick 6.

pick 19 we hope for a weller/marchbank, both who I read we rate (on forums).

Thats 4 top 20 picks, or equivilant, right there... Now we just have to use two 2nds and two 3rds to fill out the list. If we trade Coons, We would be looking at upgrading our 3rd to norths 2nd, rather than take a stinking 4th rounder. 4 top 20 picks, three 2nds and one 3rd!!

I have been reading that their pick 19 will be used with Jaksch for Carlton's pick 7.

Ghost Dog
12-10-2014, 01:27 PM
When you consider some of the rumors around the nature of Ryan's back injury, and how it is being managed, Pick 4 and a gun kid could turn out to be a heist.

LostDoggy
12-10-2014, 01:28 PM

Happy Birthday Webby,

Go Dogs!

Regards,

Ryan Griffen

F'scary
12-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Happy Birthday Webby,

Go Dogs!

Regards,

Ryan Griffen

That would have been the ultimate in bot greetings irony.

Twodogs
12-10-2014, 01:34 PM

Happy birthday Webby.

Twodogs
12-10-2014, 01:48 PM

I've been thinking the same for a few days. They really, really have to get Griffen to their club. they cant afford to miss out on another Big Signing. He's contracted to play for ours. We hold all the cards. Gordon understands how contracts work and that's the reason he's saying Griff is a required player.

We have to start with 4 and 7 and maybe be prepared to look at alternatives to pick 7.

Go_Dogs
12-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Despite Griff being 28, I'd say he's got at least 3 years of high level football left, and can potentially play another 5 seasons, although not as the main man in the midfield. GWS have enough talent stockpiled they could afford to play Griff as a half back or half forward for the final few years of his playing career.

Whilst we can't do a Judd style deal given age, and Griff not being quite at that level, I think most footy observers would still rank him inside the top dozen or so footballers running around, albeit off a down year due to injury.

What the deal ends up being could also be conditional upon what other trades we can do. If we can get a second round pick (maybe for swapping back our third round pick) for Cooney, and/or if we can get a similar deal for Minson, I would like us to try and do the following:-

Dogs - Receive picks 4 and 7
GWS - Receive Griffen, picks 27/another second rounder.

Alternatively;

Dogs - Receive pick 4 and McCarthy/Tomlinson/Corr
GWS - Receive Griffen, pick 27/another second rounder

or;

Dogs - Receive pick 7, McCarthy/Tomlinson/Corr and GWS second rounder.
GWS - Receive Griffen and pick 27.

It will then ultimately become a matter of what GWS value more, keeping pick 4 or 7, or a young KP with a year or 2 in the system.

Given it appears GWS will give up pick 19 as part of the Jaksch trade, I tend to think they will prefer to keep pick 4 or 7.

At a guess, I'm going to go with option 3 from above as nearest to the pin. I would then expect GWS to take Wright (if available) at 4 and we will then get a choice of a KPP such as Durdin and then perhaps, a Laverde or Pickett as another potentially elite running player (at 6 and 7). Subject to who is available, we may then be able to use picks 24 and 26 to take a punt on a combination of Lamb, Smith, Cavka, Gore or Lonie.

Templeton31
12-10-2014, 02:00 PM

fair call. maybe griffen and 25 for 4 and 7.

The Doctor
12-10-2014, 02:26 PM
I've been thinking the same for a few days. They really, really have to get Griffen to their club. they cant afford to miss out on another Big Signing. He's contracted to play for ours. We hold all the cards. Gordon understands how contracts work and that's the reason he's saying Griff is a required player.

We have to start with 4 and 7 and maybe be prepared to look at alternatives to pick 7.

Yep, they missed out on Buddy and would hate to lose out again on a marquee player. This is an important acquisition for them.

We should make them bleed. no sweeteners.

Hotdog60
12-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Also make them pay for Poaching

F'scary
12-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Despite Griff being 28, I'd say he's got at least 3 years of high level football left, and can potentially play another 5 seasons, although not as the main man in the midfield. GWS have enough talent stockpiled they could afford to play Griff as a half back or half forward for the final few years of his playing career.

Whilst we can't do a Judd style deal given age, and Griff not being quite at that level, I think most footy observers would still rank him inside the top dozen or so footballers running around, albeit off a down year due to injury.

What the deal ends up being could also be conditional upon what other trades we can do. If we can get a second round pick (maybe for swapping back our third round pick) for Cooney, and/or if we can get a similar deal for Minson, I would like us to try and do the following:-

Dogs - Receive picks 4 and 7
GWS - Receive Griffen, picks 27/another second rounder.

Alternatively;

Dogs - Receive pick 4 and McCarthy/Tomlinson/Corr
GWS - Receive Griffen, pick 27/another second rounder

or;

Dogs - Receive pick 7, McCarthy/Tomlinson/Corr and GWS second rounder.
GWS - Receive Griffen and pick 27.

It will then ultimately become a matter of what GWS value more, keeping pick 4 or 7, or a young KP with a year or 2 in the system.

Given it appears GWS will give up pick 19 as part of the Jaksch trade, I tend to think they will prefer to keep pick 4 or 7.

At a guess, I'm going to go with option 3 from above as nearest to the pin. I would then expect GWS to take Wright (if available) at 4 and we will then get a choice of a KPP such as Durdin and then perhaps, a Laverde or Pickett as another potentially elite running player (at 6 and 7). Subject to who is available, we may then be able to use picks 24 and 26 to take a punt on a combination of Lamb, Smith, Cavka, Gore or Lonie.

I am reading between the lines that you have Brisbane's offer of 5 + 25 for Beams as a yardstick.

On the Beams trade, the Mugpies have said 5+25 is not enough and won't trade. I think they have said they want 5+25+gun player.

If no deal can be struck, player #16 will stand out of the game for a year and we will in all likelihood get a first round compensation pick immediately after our first pick for draft 2015. This will quite possibly be something like pick 2, 3, 4, or 5. So, they have to do better than just pick 4, let alone pick 7.

Also, with a bit of shopping around we could perhaps get the interest for a deal involving #16 for picks 1, 2 or 3. For example, #16 + our pick 6 for pick 1. So, they have to give a bit to get what they want lest the chance go begging.

Where I'm heading towards is that pick 4 + McCarthy (or similar) + Addison as steak knives to me seems a realistic price for GWS to pay

The Underdog
12-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Where I'm heading towards is that pick 4 + McCarthy (or similar) + Addison as steak knives to me seems a realistic price for GWS to pay

I love DFA but he's more like a plastic spork than steak knives.

Maddog37
12-10-2014, 02:53 PM
I would look to pick up a couple of their fringe players too. jMac hopefully has a full run down of all the GWS kids considered tradeable.

F'scary
12-10-2014, 02:55 PM

We want our plastic spork back! :)

Twodogs
12-10-2014, 03:34 PM

Nothing plastic about DFA except the club he plays at. Maybe a toffee hammer rather than steak knives.

Rocco Jones
12-10-2014, 03:41 PM
I can't see any players wanting to come to the Dogs with the current fiasco unless we pay massive overs. Lonergan was offered a truly one in a lifetime type contract. Sure he was loyal but even by his own admission, the issues we have played a massive part.

Picks 4 + 7 would be awesome but very unlikely. Maybe 4 and 19? I would be pretty happy with that. Would give us picks 4, 6, 19, 25 and 26 with picks for Jones, Tutt and Cooney (if anyone wants him) to come.

Remi Moses
12-10-2014, 04:03 PM
I think that will play out, but let's push their buttons on the needing to land the sook.
If that Kristian ( tired of misspelling his bloody name) goes to Carlton and GWS land 7 , we push for 4 and 7 and give them our second rounder. With the need to prune the list they're not going to want kids coming in .

Saying all this we're better excepting a deal
That involves two picks, than risking one pick and not knowing what it will be.

KT31
12-10-2014, 04:52 PM
So a 2nd rounder KT? What about a 3rd round pick?

To have this over and done with quickly I would take pick 4 packaged up with anything under pick 40.

Mofra
12-10-2014, 05:39 PM
My call - pick 4 & pick 19

We wont be able to convince anyone worthwhile to come to us.

bornadog
12-10-2014, 05:41 PM

That would give us, 4, 6, 19, 26, 27 - not bad. Add in Cordy and Jong and we should have a pretty good core of young players.

F'scary
12-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Once again, GWS's pick 19 has been earmarked as part of the Jakchs trade for Carton's pick 7 from what I have read.

Remi Moses
12-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Once again, GWS's pick 19 has been earmarked as part of the Jakchs trade for Carton's pick 7 from what I have read.

Maybe give them 26 and 27 for 7 and 4 plus the sook.
Ryan can shoot to his hearts content.
Plenty of room at their plastic wasteland tumbleweed stadium, with 5 people in it.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Maybe give them 26 and 27 for 7 and 4 plus the sook.
Ryan can shoot to his hearts content.
Plenty of room at their plastic wasteland tumbleweed stadium, with 5 people in it.

They don't need picks they need ready made. I think if pick 7 gets to them, and Cameron and Boyd won't budge maybe Minson or another seasoned player goes with J2.

GVGjr
12-10-2014, 06:01 PM

I wouldn't be unhappy with that but we would need to get in front of Carlton for that pick

Remi Moses
12-10-2014, 06:01 PM
They don't need picks they need ready made. I think if pick 7 gets to them, and Cameron and Boyd won't budge maybe Minson or another seasoned player goes with J2.

They'll on trade those picks if they get them.

Maddog37
12-10-2014, 06:06 PM

I disagree. Money talks....

Mofra
12-10-2014, 06:15 PM
I disagree. Money talks....
Levi Greenwood chose Collingwood over us for less money.
Griff is leaving on less dollars.
If Jones goes, he isn't expecting a payrise.

Money doesn't talk loud enough when you are a rabble.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 06:21 PM
They'll on trade those picks if they get them.

if they've got picks to throw around like confetti again, i'd want the picks. We can put a heap of our players in 'sizzlers' like smorgosboard and they can walk around with their picks on their plate ready to hoe into them.

F'scary
12-10-2014, 06:22 PM
My attempt to be nearest the pin: pick 4, McCarthy, pick 62.

bornadog
12-10-2014, 06:45 PM
My attempt to be nearest the pin: pick 4, McCarthy, pick 62.

Isn't McCarthy the full forward from WA that was looking pretty good in his draft year and kicking lots of goals for WA under 18's then broke his leg? (MJP would know)

Your suggestion could work, providing he wants to come to us.

boydogs
12-10-2014, 06:51 PM
I think GWS are ready to pay what it takes to get an elite player across the line. Untradeables just don't come up for trade often.

The Judd deal is the most relevant, which was Judd & 46 for 3, 20 & Kennedy. For us that would be Griff & 45 for 4, 19 and perhaps Tomlinson (Kennedy was a pick 4 - Cameron was preselected, Boyd #1, Patton #1, Tomlinson #9, McCarthy #14, Stewart #27)

In this situation though I think we will need late picks to cover our delistings and departures that GWS won't, and Griff is a slightly lower level and older age, so it might look a little different. So Griff alone for 4, Tomlinson & 62

Maddog37
12-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Levi Greenwood chose Collingwood over us for less money.
Griff is leaving on less dollars.
If Jones goes, he isn't expecting a payrise.

Money doesn't talk loud enough when you are a rabble.

Griff will be on massive coin IMHO. Greenwood would be attracted by the bright lights and glitz of the pies.

wb_age
12-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Is all this talk of Griff taking a paycut to go actually correct or just spin from his manager.

Eg. Final year at the dogs = back ended contract so big money in final year

1st year at the giants on yet again a back ended contract = small/mid salary 1st year at the giants

GVGjr
12-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Is all this talk of Griff taking a paycut to go actually correct or just spin from his manager.

Eg. Final year at the dogs = back ended contract so big money in final year

1st year at the giants on yet again a back ended contract = small/mid salary 1st year at the giants

He had problems with Brendan McCartney but I believe it's not the only reason why he wanted to move.

Twodogs
12-10-2014, 08:22 PM
To have this over and done with quickly I would take pick 4 packaged up with anything under pick 40.

Unless they offer up exactly what we want straight away then it's to our advantage to draw this out. The longer it goes on, the less like it looks like we will deal and they will land him, the more likely it is they will blink.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Unless they offer up exactly what we want straight away then it's to our advantage to draw this out. The longer it goes on, the less like it looks like we will deal and they will land him, the more likely it is they will blink.

Game of Chickens. If we're half way competent, we've put our final offer to them. With a few hours to go Silvagni and Cameron will have some pretty direct calls from Griff and his manager. We've got FA comp next year the risk of passing on pick 4 and 40 is only pick 40. Griffen is worth pick 4 next year (assuming a low finish). Griffen and GWS have a lot more to lose.

F'scary
12-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Isn't McCarthy the full forward from WA that was looking pretty good in his draft year and kicking lots of goals for WA under 18's then broke his leg? (MJP would know)

Your suggestion could work, providing he wants to come to us.

That's the one - the annoying KPF who came on in Gia's last game for his first game. Kicked a massive goal from the boundary line after easily outmarking Tom Young.

The carrot is that with us he'll start playing senior footy much, much sooner. At GWS he is in queue behind Cameron, Boyd, Patton, et al. We could offer him some coin too.

stefoid
12-10-2014, 10:03 PM
I have been reading that their pick 19 will be used with Jaksch for Carlton's pick 7.

Apparently McArthy is too new to be traded anyway. ( < 2 years at club).

So 4+7 it is.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Let him go and take pick 4 and what ever they put up.

For mine its not about anything else but making a statement to the current playing group that this is unacceptable and you are not running the club. Pick four gives us what we really need and anything else is a plus.

We need to look towards 2016 and beyond.

LostDoggy
12-10-2014, 10:34 PM
They don't just take our captain, our best player, in the way they have without paying for it. Enough is enough. Talk like "he's 28 with a bad back" just absolutely shouldn't wash. If JMac is halfway competent he'd be telling them, "My job unless you cough up the bickies".

Pick 4, a gun player and some trade of 2nd/3rd round picks isn't highway robbery, it's a fair price for taking such a massive fish. He is not out of contract, we'd get decent FA compo for him next year, and the manner of his departure has ripped the club in half. I can't see the Dogs accepting a shit trade when they know they have to sell this outcome for membership and sponsors. They are taking more than just Player #16. Gordon and co are well aware that this event could have massive repercussions that last for many, many years.

Not to mention that for Player #16, being forced to sit out his contract for a year out of the limelight could result in the Giants cooling on him. He's a midfielder, and there are dozens of emerging midfielders each year that could present better options in twelve months' time. If the Giants don't take him now, they've killed his career and no player/manager will want to talk to them again.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-10-2014, 10:45 PM
He could also be just one reco away from no deal next year. Im not saying Im happy with him going but we really need pick 4 to ensure we lock up a pick that we have needed for years. I don't think we should wait around but push the issue and lock away pick four. After that I cant see it will matter, yes we will get something and in my view its all about getting pick 4.

Dancin' Douggy
12-10-2014, 10:59 PM
In the circumstances and the fallout for all parties involved. I'm sticking to 4 and 7.

F'scary
12-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Apparently McArthy is too new to be traded anyway. ( < 2 years at club).

So 4+7 it is.

Prefer 4+7 too. But there are also Corr, Tomlinson, Stewart & Ploughman who are >2 years now and would meet specific needs we have.

LostDoggy
12-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Change the thread title: Ryan "its too hard" Griffen - chuck him in the bin... Never been so angry with a player. How do you accept a captaincy and then negotiate with the enemy. I don't care if he was a reluctant leader. Relinquish the damn thing if you are going to stab the club in the face. Weak, weak pathetically handled. There is courage on the field and then there is courage as a man. He has one. He isn't the other.

GVGjr
13-10-2014, 08:25 AM
I think we will get pick 4 and 2nd round pick (currently 40) plus a mid range player.
If we are to pry pick 7 as well then I can see as adding a 2nd round pick back to them.

BulldogBelle
13-10-2014, 08:34 AM
I think we will get pick 4 and 2nd round pick (currently 40) plus a mid range player.
If we are to pry pick 7 as well then I can see as adding a 2nd round pick back to them.

Would be happy with that. But must go hard ball.

The Doctor
13-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Whatever we get I hope we don't package top 10 picks to Saints for pick 1 which is being speculated.

We need to get as many guns into the place as we can. It will give supporters hope.

Go_Dogs
13-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Whatever we get I hope we don't package top 10 picks to Saints for pick 1 which is being speculated.

We need to get as many guns into the place as we can. It will give supporters hope.

Agreed, keep as many top 30 picks as we can get our hands on and try to add 4/5 high quality kids.

GVGjr
13-10-2014, 09:30 AM

I tend to agree but over the time I've known you on footy forums you would normally be one of the more aggressive trade enthusiasts especially getting us into great positions at the trade table.
I guess it's a sign of how most of us rate our list and the importance on getting a number of good youngsters to the club.

Our supporters will really appreciate getting some early picks to our club and yes it will give us all some hope.

bornadog
13-10-2014, 10:00 AM
I tend to agree but over the time I've known you on footy forums you would normally be one of the more aggressive trade enthusiasts especially getting us into great positions at the trade table.
I guess it's a sign of how most of us rate our list and the importance on getting a number of good youngsters to the club.

Our supporters will really appreciate getting some early picks to our club and yes it will give us all some hope.

but realistically, we won't be able to attract too many trades to us.

GVGjr
13-10-2014, 10:11 AM
but realistically, we won't be able to attract too many trades to us.

I don't quite share that view. Players managers would recommend us. It might be hard but its not impossible.

What I'm commenting on is The Docs normally the guy who comes up with trade suggestions to improve our position at the draft table and might otherwise put forward some suggestions to move further up the order.
The fact that we would probably prefer to keep all picks more than organising a package to get pick 1 indicates to me we need to rally around and sell the vision of a youngsters led focus for the 2015 season.

bornadog
13-10-2014, 10:13 AM
I don't quite share that view. Players managers would recommend us. It might be hard but its not impossible.

What I'm commenting on is The Docs normally the guy who comes up with trade suggestions to improve our position at the draft table and might otherwise put forward some suggestions to move further up the order.
The fact that we would probably prefer to keep all picks more than organising a package to get pick 1 indicates to me we need to rally around and sell the vision of a youngsters led focus for the 2015 season.

Sorry misread that.

I see GWS are trying to get pick one.

GVGjr
13-10-2014, 10:15 AM
I see GWS are trying to get pick one.

Not sure if that helps or hinders us. Picks 4 might be harder to get but maybe they could throw in a better player for a Griffen trade.

LostDoggy
13-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Work with me on this one: It is contingent on the GWS/Blues deal for Jaksch being for P7 (GWS) & P19 (Carl)

Melbourne:
- Get Sam Frost & Mark Whiley from GWS
- Get Pick 6 from WB

WB
- Get Pick 3 from Melbourne
- Get Pick 7 & 40 from GWS
- Get James Stewart from GWS

GWS
- Get Ryan Griffen

Therefore;

Melbourne
- Add two young certain starters for a 3 pick downgrade

WB
- Get guaranteed one of Petracca, McCartin, Wright
- Get a one pick downgrade from 6 to 7
- Young KP forward in Stewart from Victoria
- Another pick in the top 45 with pick 40, so that would be 6 i believe

GWS
- Ryan Griffen

westdog54
13-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Work with me on this one: It is contingent on the GWS/Blues deal for Jaksch being for P7 (GWS) & P19 (Carl)

Melbourne:
- Get Sam Frost & Mark Whiley from GWS
- Get Pick 6 from WB

WB
- Get Pick 3 from Melbourne
- Get Pick 7 & 40 from GWS
- Get James Stewart from GWS

GWS
- Get Ryan Griffen

Therefore;

Melbourne
- Add two young certain starters for a 3 pick downgrade

WB
- Get guaranteed one of Petracca, McCartin, Wright
- Get a one pick downgrade from 6 to 7
- Young KP forward in Stewart from Victoria
- Another pick in the top 45 with pick 40, so that would be 6 i believe

GWS
- Ryan Griffen

I might be reading it wrong, but in the wash up do GWS get Griffen and Pick 19 for Jaksch, Frost, Whiley, Stewart and Picks 7 and 40?

Seems a hell of a lot for them to give up. Don't think it'll work.

LostDoggy
13-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I might be reading it wrong, but in the wash up do GWS get Griffen and Pick 19 for Jaksch, Frost, Whiley, Stewart and Picks 7 and 40?

Seems a hell of a lot for them to give up. Don't think it'll work.

They'd give up Whiley, Stewart & Jaksch as fringe players who haven't been able to establish themselves due to, for the most part, the level of competition at GWS. Frost wants to come home apparently so he's basically the the only semi-regular player for them in the deal.

GWS don't need any picks past the first round. They're only really giving up pick 7.
We're giving up a tapped-up Captain and our best player for a 1 game KP, and two unproven draft picks

Ozza
13-10-2014, 12:48 PM
I'll say Tom Boyd as pretty close to the pin!