PDA

View Full Version : Boyd v Going to the draft.

azabob
13-10-2014, 10:03 PM
I have not seen Tom Boyd play one second of football.

He is tall and heavy - very similar height to Tom Campbell. Is he agile and suited the modern running game.

He has only played 9 games for eight goals.

Is he worth approx one million per year over five - six years

Is he the real deal or are we selling the farm, so to speak.

Another way to look at it, how does he compare to Paddy McCartin and or Peter Wright?

LostDoggy
13-10-2014, 10:09 PM
I doubt he'd go Number 1 if he wasn't suited. GWS will move heaven and earth to keep him.

1eyedog
13-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Not sure how to compare him to McCartin he's certainly bigger. Tom is very agile and is first class on the lead or as a contested mark. Kicked 6 goals in just under 3 quarters for Metro last year. Draft watchers called him a once in a generation forward before he went number 1 last year. Touted as being better than Patton - he's the real deal.

Webby
13-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Personally, I'd welcome Boyd to the club, however he'll cost us. The alternative is a first round pick (maybe 4) to add to our existing pick 6. Pick 4 & 6 is pretty damn good! We got Bontempelli with pick 4 last year and Stringer and Macrae with 5 & 6 the year before. These are not mug picks!

Now that the Aints are involved, Boyd could cost Griffen + 6. For me, that's a point at which I'd lean towards walking away. If we were to get 4 & 6 as a fallback, we could nearly land McCartin or Wright with 4 and then another quality kid with 6.

Boyd is NOT the be-all and end-all..., but he'd be very very nice to have. Get him and we're looking more and more attractive for free agents in a year's time.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2014, 10:27 PM
His underage numbers were commanding. He's the real deal, complete package. He would easily be the best forward we've had since Grant. Arguably our biggest and best fish ever traded for.

comrade
13-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Boyd is NOT the be-all and end-all..., but he'd be very very nice to have. Get him and we're looking more and more attractive for free agents in a year's time.

That's the big one...

Let's say we do get Boyd.

We're still going to get a top 3 pick next year in all likelihood (as all our senior blokes either leave or drop off).

So we trade in another gun kid and snare another big fish, setting us up for a sustained tilt.

We simply have to make a big call right now and secure a genuine franchise forward. It will have untold flow on benefits and could absolutely be a history changing deal.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Personally, I'd welcome Boyd to the club, however he'll cost us. The alternative is a first round pick (maybe 4) to add to our existing pick 6. Pick 4 & 6 is pretty damn good! We got Bontempelli with pick 4 last year and Stringer and Macrae with 5 & 6 the year before. These are not mug picks!

Now that the Aints are involved, Boyd could cost Griffen + 6. For me, that's a point at which I'd lean towards walking away. If we were to get 4 & 6 as a fallback, we could nearly land McCartin or Wright with 4 and then another quality kid with 6.

I tend to agree.

Boyd would be great, but given how far off we are, two quality kids at 4 & 6 (and maybe 7?) would perhaps be a better strategy. We would still have some serious coin to throw at him next year, and consequently be better placed to deal with GWS. One of Wright/McCartin will be there at 4 too.

I'd love Boyd, but we can't afford to overpay just yet.

soupman
13-10-2014, 11:04 PM
It's not the time to be cheap.

Boyd is a key forward from the area of the draft where star key forwards come from.

We of all clubs cannot afford to pass up the chance to recruit a potential star key forward. You only get an opportunity to pick up players like this very occasionally. And bizarrely the pece that is valuable enough to get him has already decided it's going to his club.

This years draft has two key forwards at the right end, and we have a pick at the right end, and yet we are only a slim chance to get one of them to fall to our pick. Next year is reportedly a midfielders draft. After that who knoes, but history hasn't been lucky so why should the future. This is our chance, I say we take it.

soupman
13-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Plus if we can somehow keep pick 6 we are set.

That means we get Boyd to hopefully solve our key forward issues and still have an awesome pick to get someone who really helps fill a need like Pickett or Durdin.

1eyedog
13-10-2014, 11:14 PM
I think we've committed now and Boyd has showed his hand. We can't let him down and need to try our utmost to get him. He went number 1 by a fair stretch last year and given the hype is potentially worth 2 top 10 picks. He is that good.

We have not had a chance to get such a player EVER and we can't let this opportunity slip. We need him off-field at the moment as much as we need him on-field. We are desperate for some positive news and he will drive memberships single-handedly next year.

I don't care about Griffen now other than as a tool to get to job done. We need to leverage him sure but he is lost to me and I see him and pick 6 getting the job done. Many will say this is overs and maybe it is, but not by much. We may not get Boyd at all next year as a year is a long time to wait. He could be photographed in the tri-colours as early as next week.

Top 10 picks are massive but have failed in the past. Boyd eliminates so much risk of failure and for that reason I think we just need to pull the trigger and make it happen. He is a 12 year player where he is right now and the type of player you build a team around. He is the type of player we have always wanted but never been able to get and we have the opportunity to do it now.

bulldogtragic
13-10-2014, 11:17 PM
I think we forget about Tambling, Toumpas etc, etc.

Two picks can be brilliant. Two picks might not come off. A number one draft pick modern full forward gorilla gun is a bloody rare commodity. And he picked us. That's enough for me. You can build a team around him, if Jones stays he's more dangerous because of Boyd. Stew & Stringer get mid quality defenders. Grant, Dahl, Hunter get to lead and crumb as sources for goals. Those Hail Mary bombs in prelims have a great contested monster under them. You build a team around him. You build membership campaigns around him. You turn a around a club around him.

Two Macrae's is best case scenario with picks. One Boyd is still a million times better.

F'scary
13-10-2014, 11:20 PM
Posted this on another thread just before but for what it's worth, I am in the not-at-all-costs camp on the Boyd issue.

Player #16 + pick 6 is too much for Boyd. I feel the same with #16 + 26 + 27. The impact for us with the number of players coming off the list (6 retired, delisted or traded so far) would mean that 3 players would have to be recruited through picks 45, 84 (64 committed to Zaine Cordy) and 100 with 118 being used for Jong's promotion. An alternative would be to go the delisted free agency path or the pre-season draft.

That's my concern and why I would prefer to go to the draft with 4, 6, 26, 27 & 45 free to be used, plus a former 1st round draft pick young KPF from GWS already in the kitty. This of course entails that we delist another 2 players - which I think we can do.

FrediKanoute
13-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Top 10 picks are massive but have failed in the past. Boyd eliminates so much risk of failure and for that reason I think we just need to pull the trigger and make it happen. He is a 12 year player where he is right now and the type of player you build a team around. He is the type of player we have always wanted but never been able to get and we have the opportunity to do it now.

No, he is a 7 year player based on the current Free Agency rules - age 26 in his prime....

1eyedog
13-10-2014, 11:51 PM
No, he is a 7 year player based on the current Free Agency rules - age 26 in his prime....

Glass half full. There is no reason he can't be retained beyond that. Even in your scenario it is 150 games plus finals.

1eyedog
13-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Posted this on another thread just before but for what it's worth, I am in the not-at-all-costs camp on the Boyd issue.

Player #16 + pick 6 is too much for Boyd. I feel the same with #16 + 26 + 27. The impact for us with the number of players coming off the list (6 retired, delisted or traded so far) would mean that 3 players would have to be recruited through picks 45, 84 (64 committed to Zaine Cordy) and 100 with 118 being used for Jong's promotion. An alternative would be to go the delisted free agency path or the pre-season draft.

That's my concern and why I would prefer to go to the draft with 4, 6, 26, 27 & 45 free to be used, plus a former 1st round draft pick young KPF from GWS already in the kitty. This of course entails that we delist another 2 players - which I think we can do.

We'll do ok but we took Grant at 5 remember. It doesn't always work.

F'scary
13-10-2014, 11:59 PM
GWS wants established players more than picks as I understand their situation, although it is pretty hard to go past pick 6 as part of the deal. What if they want Griffen + Libba + Wallis, e.g., instead of picks? Where do you stop and say Boyd is not worth that much. A successful team is more than one player. Just ask Tony Lockett and StKilda.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2014, 12:04 AM
GWS wants established players more than picks as I understand their situation, although it is pretty hard to go past pick 6 as part of the deal. What if they want Griffen + Libba + Wallis, e.g., instead of picks? Where do you stop and say Boyd is not worth that much. A successful team is more than one player. Just ask Tony Lockett and StKilda.

Is your point Sydney trading for a gun full forward got them to a grand final? But North having a better gun CHF won them the premiership? And we've never traded for one. Not been in a GF since 1961. And that our best player asking to go to the same team their best future KPF wants to come to us should be told no?

F'scary
14-10-2014, 12:06 AM
Actually, there are a number of well put arguments above for Griffen + pick 6 as being justified for Boyd. But no more than that. Certainly nothing like Griffen + pick 6 + Dahlhaus (or similar best 10 player).

bulldogtragic
14-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Actually, there are a number of well put arguments above for Griffen + pick 6 as being justified for Boyd. But no more than that. Certainly nothing like Griffen + pick 6 + Dahlhaus (or similar best 10 player).

Peter Rhode ain't here anymore. Griffen and 6 easily gets its done by the deadline. We'd want not to give 6. If another player kept us 6, I'm open to hearing that conversation.

F'scary
14-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Is your point Sydney trading for a gun full forward got them to a grand final? But North having a better gun CHF won them the premiership? And we've never traded for one. Not been in a GF since 1961. And that our best player asking to go to the same team their best future KPF wants to come to us should be told no?

You are being mischievous, BT. My point was Tony Lockett at St Kilda, the one man team and the team usually finished down the bottom of the ladder, even with him in it.

stefoid
14-10-2014, 12:16 AM
I think our last two drafts of macrae, stringer and bonts have probably lulled us into a false sense of security that a mid-range top 10 pick is a golden ticket to a 200 game gun. Could be, but not always. Whats the strike rate? 50%

go back and read the phantom descriptions of sculley, trengrove, caddy, orourke, sheppard. all deadset guns on paper...

Just between you and me, I think #4 for Grif is a pretty good deal. Its about fair given his age.
And I also think that #4 and #6 is probably around the mark for Boyd, given his age, if he reaches his potential. Certainly he has done nothing to prove that he isnt on track to reaching his potential.

Its risky, but he instantly becomes the poster boy, sells memberships, restores a bit of dented pride and hope...all of a sudden its 'griffen who?' There are a lot of intangible benefits.

I would do Grif and #6 at a maximum, but I hope like hell that we can get some reasonable steak knives coming our way as well.

boydogs
14-10-2014, 12:19 AM
His junior record is head and shoulders above anyone else's, including Hogan, Patton & Daniher

F'scary
14-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Peter Rhode ain't here anymore. Griffen and 6 easily gets its done by the deadline. We'd want not to give 6. If another player kept us 6, I'm open to hearing that conversation.

I hope you are right. But I wouldn't want to see Griffen + one of our young absolute guns going. Libba, Stringer, Macrae, Tempelli, definitely off limits because that is going too far. Maybe Dahlhaus with Cooney thrown in as a steak knife? Problem is that with each additional player we give up, we have to replace them on our list with a much lower pick or a delisted free agent. Each draft pick we give up in addition to Griffen, we have to use a much later draft pick in its place.

FrediKanoute
14-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Glass half full. There is no reason he can't be retained beyond that. Even in your scenario it is 150 games plus finals.

Agreed, its still a win, but we should be planning for the fact that at some point Boyd will get offered mega bucks. If we aren't playing finals and a decent chance to with the big dance he could be off. 300 game, 12 to 15 year players will be a very, very rare commodity going forward.

My only other concern is that good young forwards don't generally have massive shelf life. Look at Jon Brown, Wayne Carey, Grant. CHF Gorilla's get worn down quickly because of the crash and bash nature of the role. If we got 7 years out ot Boyd they could be his best 7 years.

1eyedog
14-10-2014, 12:24 AM
I think our last two drafts of macrae, stringer and bonts have probably lulled us into a false sense of security that a mid-range top 10 pick is a golden ticket to a 200 game gun. Could be, but not always. Whats the strike rate? 50%

go back and read the phantom descriptions of sculley, trengrove, caddy, orourke, sheppard. all deadset guns on paper...

Just between you and me, I think #4 for Grif is a pretty good deal. Its about fair given his age.
And I also think that #4 and #6 is probably around the mark for Boyd, given his age, if he reaches his potential. Certainly he has done nothing to prove that he isnt on track to reaching his potential.

Its risky, but he instantly becomes the poster boy, sells memberships, restores a bit of dented pride and hope...all of a sudden its 'griffen who?' There are a lot of intangible benefits.

I would do Grif and #6 at a maximum, but I hope like hell that we can get some reasonable steak knives coming our way as well.

We probably won't because they know how much we need him but it's still a good deal - a little over but not much really when you consider Jarrad Grant at 5.

1eyedog
14-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Agreed, its still a win, but we should be planning for the fact that at some point Boyd will get offered mega bucks. If we aren't playing finals and a decent chance to with the big dance he could be off. 300 game, 12 to 15 year players will be a very, very rare commodity going forward.

My only other concern is that good young forwards don't generally have massive shelf life. Look at Jon Brown, Wayne Carey, Grant. CHF Gorilla's get worn down quickly because of the crash and bash nature of the role. If we got 7 years out ot Boyd they could be his best 7 years.

Agree with that. On the flipside he will still have massive currency at 26 if he is going well and we should view him at the least as a 7 year investment.

comrade
14-10-2014, 12:26 AM
As long as he's a premiership player, he can do what ever he wants after 7 years!

Twodogs
14-10-2014, 12:51 AM
A player who wants to leave us and pick 6 is a great price for last years no 1 pick who would walk into our team. If we can get a straight swap that would be brilliant but we should be prepared to use pick 6 as well.

They get their marque player they have been crying out for and a gun kid

We get the marque player we have been crying out for and (he's a) a gun kid.

Win/win.

I don't even know why we are talking about it. Do the deal. Today. Get each player in their new jumpers and get some good publicity about our clubs in the media.

Bulldog4life
14-10-2014, 02:27 AM

I am sure we will still as according to a couple of scribes Melbourne will pick Brayshaw as their first pick or second pick. So if we don't get Griffen but get number 4 we will still get a full forward...maybe better who knows. By the way I still hope we get Boyd.

Remi Moses
14-10-2014, 03:17 AM
Measure it up at 4 and see who is the best player.
Boyd Mccartin or wright

S Coast Simon
14-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Has to be done. He is the monster we have been seeking since Chris Grant retired. Would be a dream situation Griffen and second pick but if we have to Griffen and 6 would have to do. Mind you the first would be great so we could get Durdin from SA with 6. Boyd type players don't come around very often so we need to get him now.

LostDoggy
14-10-2014, 10:01 AM
This is a great thread. From the extreme lows of last to the dizzying high of yesterday, i think we can say that, perhaps, the reality that we may not get TB is a real possibility. Hence we're coming back to earth.

This is not to say don't go all out. If we got TB for RG and it cost us our pick 6 i'd be slightly disappointed. What i do really see as a fair trade, if it isn't a straight swap and there's a sticking point is one of the following:

- RG and P6 for TB and P7 - assuming that the Jaksch deal goes through
- RG and P6 for TB and P19 and James Stewart - assuming that the Jaksch deal goes through

I'd like for P4 to be involved, however i can't see that we'd be able to meet any offloading requirements back to GWS. I don't see them doing P4 & 7 (again Jaksch contingent) for RG if they stick firm and deny TB moving.

1eyedog
14-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Can anyone please tell me if Boyd can just walk now and not see out his contract and play footy anywhere next year as long as it isn't in the AFL or does he effectively require 'clearance' from GWS even if it is to play VFL footy?

Topdog
14-10-2014, 10:37 AM
He isn't going to ruin his career so it doesn't really matter

Mofra
14-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Forget his worth on the open market - the important part is his worth to us.

Yes pick 4 or 6 lands us a Bonti, Macrae, Stringer, Toumpas, Wines, or this year a Laverde, Durdin, maybe Brayshaw (unlikely) - but none of those are a genuine no 1 power forward.

McCartin will go earlier than 4 and Wright is no guarantee to slip - and even if he does, Boyd's TAC record is much better (and is Wright a genuine power forward at AFL level or a rangy running forward/ruck in the Kreuzer category?)

This is our chance to turn last week's shit sandwich into a rolled gold caviar baguette and get the player who will spend 10 years with our young gun midfield developing together.

I'm all for it. Another consideration: Membership sales next year based on "captain walking out" vs "once in a generation power forward playing for us shaddup Ryan who?" seem to be a fairly significant difference.

GVGjr
14-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Can anyone please tell me if Boyd can just walk now and not see out his contract and play footy anywhere next year as long as it isn't in the AFL or does he effectively require 'clearance' from GWS even if it is to play VFL footy?

It would be a huge mistake to do that. Possible but 99% unlikely.

Ghost Dog
14-10-2014, 11:22 AM
This is a great thread. From the extreme lows of last to the dizzying high of yesterday, i think we can say that, perhaps, the reality that we may not get TB is a real possibility. Hence we're coming back to earth.

This is not to say don't go all out. If we got TB for RG and it cost us our pick 6 i'd be slightly disappointed. What i do really see as a fair trade, if it isn't a straight swap and there's a sticking point is one of the following:

- RG and P6 for TB and P7 - assuming that the Jaksch deal goes through
- RG and P6 for TB and P19 and James Stewart - assuming that the Jaksch deal goes through

I'd like for P4 to be involved, however i can't see that we'd be able to meet any offloading requirements back to GWS. I don't see them doing P4 & 7 (again Jaksch contingent) for RG if they stick firm and deny TB moving.

This is what confused me with the Alberti tweets. Surely we have suffered enough, to think the deal sealed, only to find GWS laughing in our faces.

Dancin' Douggy
14-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Even if we can't get the Boyd deal done, we have at least put ourselves in the strongest possible position.

If they are determined to keep Boyd, GWS are now under pressure to give us the best possible deal.

Picks 4 & 7 are a genuine possibility now.

I'm almost thinking this is best case scenario.

Going into the draft with picks 4, 6 and 7 is huge.

We stand by our commitment to Boyd, tell him the deal is still on the table and get him next year. WIN. WIN.

MrMahatma
14-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Even if we can't get the Boyd deal done, we have at least put ourselves in the strongest possible position.

If they are determined to keep Boyd, GWS are now under pressure to give us the best possible deal.

Picks 4 & 7 are a genuine possibility now.

I'm almost thinking this is best case scenario.

Going into the draft with picks 4, 6 and 7 is huge.

We stand by our commitment to Boyd, tell him the deal is still on the table and get him next year. WIN. WIN.

Absolute best case scenario. I think unlikely though. He could just as easily end up at any other Melbourne club next year. He wants out of Sydney, and home to Melbourne. It's flattering he's put the Dogs as preference but that's based on what's on the table now. I fully expect other clubs will come hard at him at the end of next year.

We either grab him now, or we probably don't at all. We can get more mids. We've proven that. We can't get KPFs. I'd offer Griff & 6 in a heartbeat.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Absolute best case scenario. I think unlikely though. He could just as easily end up at any other Melbourne club next year. He wants out of Sydney, and home to Melbourne. It's flattering he's put the Dogs as preference but that's based on what's on the table now. I fully expect other clubs will come hard at him at the end of next year.

We either grab him now, or we probably don't at all. We can get more mids. We've proven that. We can't get KPFs. I'd offer Griff & 6 in a heartbeat.

If they want another forward they can have Jones too. There is no guarantee we get him next year as you say. The going price for a kid like Boyd is overs, so we pay the market price. There's 48 hours nearly to go, the AFL mediators will get asked in at some point and then see what happens. I say we get him, but Griff and pick 6 is about right.

Pedro Sanchez
14-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Griff and pick 6 just seems too high for a guy who's played a handful of average games and is completely unproven. Griff and our second rounder is more realistic, otherwise I say play hard ball and get him next season for nicks.

Boyd will then be the icing on our cake of clutch rookies coming through. This includes our current crop plus whoever we draft at 4, 6 and 7.

I tell you what, whoever becomes coach is getting a pretty juicy list to play with wow. And old mate Dalrymple might be the first recruiter ever knighted ;)

DOG GOD
14-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Any chance of pick 6 and griff for Boyd and Stewart?
Would they do that?

Bulldog4life
14-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Any chance of pick 6 and griff for Boyd and Stewart?
Would they do that?

That is one player I like. Played well in last game against us. Think he kicked 3 goals. Looks very promising.

Flamethrower
14-10-2014, 08:23 PM
GWS are flat refusing to entertain any possibility of trading Tom Boyd. Way to turn him offside Giants!!

We should let him develop for another year in Orange then sign him when he is out of contract next year. Clear plenty of salary cap space and throw the kitchen sink at Boyd and Cameron and Treloar and Shiels and Coniglio and any other player out of contract, with the aim at getting Boyd (who wants to play with us either in 2015 or 2016) plus 2 other young stars.

Trade Griffen to them this year for picks 4 and 7 (playing hardball) - gives us 4,6 & 7. Then trade 6 and 7 to St Kilda for pick 1. With picks 1 and 4 take Petracca to replace Griffen and McCartin or Wright. (I doubt the Dees will take both, as they seem to want Brayshaw and 1 tall).

comrade
14-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Why would GWS give us picks 4 & 7 this year and let us take him for nothing next year?

They'll just tell us to shove it, keep Griffen and back themselves in to have a good year next year and turn Boyd around (which may easily happen). This leaves us without any extra picks and a player that betrayed us.

I'm calling it now. This is going to go pear shaped.

Awesome.

Twodogs
14-10-2014, 08:44 PM
They have to trade with us to get Griff yet.

comrade
14-10-2014, 08:49 PM
They have to trade with us to get Griff yet.

Sorry, wasn't clear.

They'll just tell us to keep Griff.

They won't let us have Boyd this year. For anything. They'll sacrifice their reputation as a trade destination to keep him. The CEO has said as much.

And they'll back themselves in to make Boyd happy enough to stay over the next 12 months.

F'scary
14-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Sorry, wasn't clear.

They'll just tell us to keep Griff.

They won't let us have Boyd this year. For anything. They'll sacrifice their reputation as a trade destination to keep him. The CEO has said as much.

And they'll back themselves in to make Boyd happy enough to stay over the next 12 months.

Chance to get a marquee player like Griffen doesn't come around that often. We could trade him somewhere else for a high enough deal...but we better get moving on it, time is running out. Call their bluff.

comrade
14-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Chance to get a marquee player like Griffen doesn't come around that often. We could trade him somewhere else for a high enough deal...but we better get moving on it, time is running out. Call their bluff.

And that's what they tell us to do. Trade him wherever you want if it means we keep Boyd.

The only problem is, Griff has named GWS as his destination so now we need to convince him to go elsewhere or be stuck with a bloke that betrayed us.

Murphy'sLore
15-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Meanwhile Ryan is holed up in the bush somewhere and can't be contacted. Brilliant.

Not very impressed with Griff at the moment, I must say.

chef
15-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Meanwhile Ryan is holed up in the bush somewhere and can't be contacted. Brilliant.

He's coming across as a real winner. Not the quality individual I thought he was this time last week

Scorlibo
15-10-2014, 01:06 PM

It's terrible form. But it's probably only what he's been told to do by his manager. Who is his manager? Deserves the sack by now I reckon.

We should tell Griff's management: GWS deal isn't going to happen, what do you want to do now? Stay at the Dogs or go elsewhere?

Bulldog4life
15-10-2014, 01:46 PM

When it gets tough he runs and hide. Pathetic.

bornadog
15-10-2014, 01:55 PM
It's terrible form. But it's probably only what he's been told to do by his manager. Who is his manager? Deserves the sack by now I reckon.

We should tell Griff's management: GWS deal isn't going to happen, what do you want to do now? Stay at the Dogs or go elsewhere?

When it gets tough he runs and hide. Pathetic.

Not sure how you come to these conclusions? Players are on holiday and their managers do the deals and contact them when something is happening.

chef
15-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Not sure how you come to these conclusions? Players are on holiday and their managers do the deals and contact them when something is happening.
Captain of the club quits with not much of a explanation and now apparently can't even be contacted by that club.

Total lack of respect if true.

Daughter of the West
15-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Isn't the problem that he is uncontactable though?

mighty_west
15-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Let's hope his manager is able to keep in contact with him.

bornadog
15-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Isn't the problem that he is uncontactable though?

Let's hope his manager is able to keep in contact with him.

I am sure he is in contact with his manager.

Bulldog4life
15-10-2014, 02:09 PM

I read somewhere Griffen can't be contacted at all as he is in the bush some where. He should have at least made a personal contact with the Club himself too. He is the captain of the Club. We deserved that much.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2014, 02:11 PM
If all this is true, I hope Griffen's football career goes down the drain. Pathetic.

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 02:11 PM
I am sure he is in contact with his manager.

His manager would know a few scenario's that he would have Griffen endorsement to complete in his behalf.
Would anyone discount the possibility of Griffen standing out for a season?

Remi Moses
15-10-2014, 02:37 PM
What a pathetic childish individual .
Just think this bloke was captain of a football club.
Oh god I forgot Griffens a quiet shy bloke ,so that's okay.
He should be responsible for at least being contactable

1eyedog
15-10-2014, 02:44 PM
His manager would know a few scenario's that he would have Griffen endorsement to complete in his behalf.
Would anyone discount the possibility of Griffen standing out for a season?

No and I'm a bit concerned about not being able to trade him out by tomorrow. Given what has transpired over the course of the past week it's even money for him to sit out AFL football for a year if he doesn't get the trade to GWS he so desperately wants. I think coming back to the club next year is a non-negotiable for him which I think is driven by his personality type. He detests confrontation and cannot deal with high stress moments that aren't on a footy field. He is not going to cop showing his face inside the club again anymore than he is going to be able to play in front of 30,000 people who don't want him at the footy club. He's already showed he's not prepared to deal with any of this by going pigging in the bush.

Of course these are just my feelings but it would not be a good win for anyone.

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 02:44 PM
What a pathetic childish individual .
Just think this bloke was captain of a football club.
Oh god I forgot Griffens a quiet shy bloke ,so that's okay.
He should be responsible for at least being contactable

There is no genuine information that he isn't contactable and I don't think it's good to be giving him a spray in this manner.

He's been a champion player and stepped up as captain for his club even though it was something he never aspired to. I think he has made a huge mistake to leave us in the manner he has but I hope I never get to the stage that I open up on him like this.

Remi Moses
15-10-2014, 02:50 PM
There is no genuine information that he isn't contactable and I don't think it's good to be giving him a spray in this manner.

He's been a champion player and stepped up as captain for his club even though it was something he never aspired to. I think he has made a huge mistake to leave us in the manner he has but I hope I never get to the stage that I open up on him like this.

Why say yes then? Come on G he walks out, then runs away .
If he's contactable to his manager then fine, but he isn't contactable that's not good enough for all parties!

bornadog
15-10-2014, 02:52 PM
If he's contactable to his manager then fine, but he isn't contactable that's not good enough for all parties!

But who says he is uncontactable?????

Doc26
15-10-2014, 02:56 PM

Whilst Griffen may not have had aspirations to be Captain, which i don't know to be true, what he did convey to Brendan was excitement at the opportunity the Club had presented him by offering him the Captaincy. I think it's wrong to let him off by the claim that he was a reluctant Captain, and frankly is just a poor excuse for him not being capable of rising to the standards expected in being a Captain of our Club.

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 02:57 PM

But your bashing him not knowing if he has already given his manager his endorsement to do deals on his behalf or if he is checking in each day. Just don't think questioning his character is correct given none of us are sure what is happening.

I get that it's emotional for a number of people but there is a big difference between being disappointed in his actions and calling him pathetic. We just don't have enough information to make those sorts of statements.

Scorlibo
15-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Between him walking out and McCartney resigning, PG hadn't heard from him. He said as much in his press conference, and then stated that he realised that Griff had now gone pig shooting. That doesn't mean he can't be contacted, but it does imply that he's not taking an active part in this process.

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Whilst Griffen may not have had aspirations to be Captain, which i don't know to be true, what he did convey to Brendan was excitement at the opportunity the Club had presented him by offering him the Captaincy. I think it's wrong to let him off by the claim that he was a reluctant Captain, and frankly is just a poor excuse for him not being capable of rising to the standards expected in being a Captain of our Club.

Probably the main focus of what I was saying is that calling him pathetic as Remi did was over the top. I can't get stuck into him like that despite being disappointed in his decision to leave the club. The captaincy wasn't my main point but I now note your views.

1eyedog
15-10-2014, 03:00 PM

Remi echoes the thoughts of many supporters re. Griffen atm. He's been a gun but he's also been talking to the enemy for months and failed to tell anyone at the club until six weeks after the end of our season, almost when it was too late. The only reason he piped up at the end of the first week of trade week was to ensure he gets his trade in. He could have at least given us two full weeks to assess our position. It's no wonder supporters have the shites with him.

What he's done over the past however many months has effectively eroded all the good things he has done in his 200 games with the club.

chef
15-10-2014, 03:01 PM

Herald Sun.

bornadog
15-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Herald Sun.

and you believe it?

Remi Moses
15-10-2014, 03:04 PM

I said IF he's un contactable

chef
15-10-2014, 03:10 PM
and you believe it?
After what he's done so far to our club, yep.

Scorlibo
15-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Remi echoes the thoughts of many supporters re. Griffen atm. He's been a gun but he's also been talking to the enemy for months and failed to tell anyone at the club until six weeks after the end of our season, almost when it was too late. The only reason he piped up at the end of the first week of trade week was to ensure he gets his trade in. He could have at least given us two full weeks to assess our position. It's no wonder supporters have the shites with him.

What he's done over the past however many months has effectively eroded all the good things he has done in his 200 games with the club.

I think what's most disappointing is that he has NOT left over money. He's left seemingly because he was unhappy in his workplace. Given his standing at the club, you'd think that with anything he'd have to say, they'd be willing to listen. To say that he was satisfied at the end of the infamous meeting and then, without further discussion, to unleash the bombshell that he did, that's awful behaviour. I don't think that makes him an awful person, and that's where I'd draw the distinction - good people do silly things.

Greystache
15-10-2014, 03:15 PM
and you believe it?

Came from the same guy that said Dahlhaus was disgruntled and that became fact to some. So rumours are rumours unless we want to believe them.

bornadog
15-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Came from the same guy that said Dahlhaus was disgruntled and that became fact to some. So rumours are rumours unless we want to believe them.

You really believe that a player has not given instructions to his manager and cannot be contacted in this day and age when the trade deadline is Thursday 2pm.

SlimPickens
15-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Ryan might be with Vodafone! :)

Greystache
15-10-2014, 03:20 PM
You really believe that a player has not given instructions to his manager and cannot be contacted in this day and age when the trade deadline is Thursday 2pm.

No. I'm saying people pick and choose which rumours they decide are true based on whether it suits them.

bornadog
15-10-2014, 03:22 PM
No. I'm saying people pick and choose which rumours they decide are true based on whether it suits them.

So you bring up Dahl because I mentioned it? That rumour came to me not from reading the internet.

Maddog37
15-10-2014, 03:25 PM
I think what's most disappointing is that he has NOT left over money. He's left seemingly because he was unhappy in his workplace. Given his standing at the club, you'd think that with anything he'd have to say, they'd be willing to listen. To say that he was satisfied at the end of the infamous meeting and then, without further discussion, to unleash the bombshell that he did, that's awful behaviour. I don't think that makes him an awful person, and that's where I'd draw the distinction - good people do silly things.

I believe you give him too much credit. He has left for money.

Scorlibo
15-10-2014, 03:28 PM
I believe you give him too much credit. He has left for money.

At least that would make sense! Reports are he'll be on less at the Giants.

Maddog37
15-10-2014, 03:39 PM
At least that would make sense! Reports are he'll be on less at the Giants.

I believe it's all about the cash. It's the only thing that makes sense.

chef
15-10-2014, 03:40 PM
The issue was with the club trying to contact Griffen, not his manager trying to contact him.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-10-2014, 03:48 PM
I can't wait for the book. I haven't read Hawkmanure or whatever it's called. We don't know Griffen's stance atm. He would have his mobile with him. It matters because we may want to approach him for an alternative trade and it's in his interest if we don't trade him to GWS. There's no way he's just got his head in the sand saying "I'm not pulling it out until I can pack my bags for GWS"...

always right
15-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Been a tough week hasn't it?

1eyedog
15-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Been a tough week hasn't it? Whenever you think see a light at the end of the tunnel, it turns out to be some prick with a torch bearing more dodgy news.

They've been pricks to deal with in all honesty. They've not put anything on the table since Griffen flagged a desire to be traded and now they're waiting to get pick 7 for Jacksch to offer us? They don't seem to value Griffen much at all, on the contrary, they are playing it as if they are trying to look after his wishes rather than any of their own but the Bulldogs want too much.

Bulldog4life
15-10-2014, 04:00 PM
It appears their strategy is to wait as long as they can and we will panic. Usually as a supporter through our Club we would know what the other Club has offered. We don't. I can only guess that they haven't offered anything concrete yet.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-10-2014, 04:00 PM
friggin hell!!! what sort of competition is this!!? complete utter amateur crap! 2 players want out to each others clubs and a deal cannot be worked!!?? Griffen and 6 for Boyd is more than fair! FFS GWS you utter wankers take it!! You're fair game now. No more AFL pedestal crap!

end rant

The bulldog tragician
15-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Don't shout this dumb question down. Can we trade Griffen to a club such as melb against his will? Esp if he's unable to be contacted

1eyedog
15-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Looks like it will be sorted in the morning.

1eyedog
15-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Don't shout this dumb question down. Can we trade Griffen to a club such as melb against his will? Esp if he's unable to be contacted

No as a contracted player he needs to agree to the trade.

Mofra
15-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Looks like it will be sorted in the morning.
Source or gut feel?

Pedro Sanchez
15-10-2014, 04:04 PM
friggin hell!!! what sort of competition is this!!? complete utter amateur crap! 2 players want out to each others clubs and a deal cannot be worked!!?? Griffen and 6 for Boyd is more than fair! FFS GWS you utter wankers take it!! You're fair game now. No more AFL pedestal crap!

end rant

That's more than fair. Adding pick 6 to the trade is overs. I'd be happier if we rolled in one of our second rounders. No more than that...

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Calm blue ocean people.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 04:05 PM

Player needs to sign the contract.

Daughter of the West
15-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Calm blue ocean people.

At the moment, it feels more like the seas that the blokes on "The Deadliest Catch" head out in...

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2014, 04:07 PM
If they are offering Pick 7 and a player, I'd rather we make Griffen eat humble pie.

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 04:09 PM

3 signatures are required, the 2 clubs and the player or his manager. So in a word no.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 04:10 PM
At the moment, it feels more like the seas that the blokes on "The Deadliest Catch" head out in...

Ha, well hopefully Ryan falls overboard and we land Boyd in the Crab pot.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-10-2014, 04:10 PM
That's more than fair. Adding pick 6 to the trade is overs. I'd be happier if we rolled in one of our second rounders. No more than that...
unfortunately that wont get it done. if we want Boyd we need to be prepared to go hard for him. Now is the time to do that. next year we risk losing him to another club

1eyedog
15-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Source or gut feel?

It's just my depression on the matter coming forward. I think they'll wait until the 11th hour to send the wind up us hoping we'll panic under the weight of not knowing what to do with Griffen next year.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 04:11 PM
If they are offering Pick 7 and a player, I'd rather we make Griffen eat humble pie.

Depends who the player is. Gifthorse moment. 12 months can change everything.

1eyedog
15-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Depends who the player is. Gifthorse moment. 12 months can change everything.

I would still take 4 and Tomlinson / McCarthy and look at Boyd next year. Still a good result for a disgruntled 28 year old with a bad back.

bornadog
15-10-2014, 04:15 PM

GWS only have 4,7, then 40, 62 with 24 committed to Jack Steele.

Murphy'sLore
15-10-2014, 04:18 PM
So GWS haven't offered anything? Didn't they start all this in the first place by getting in Ryan's ear? What did they intend to offer (before the Boyd stuff started)?

Surely they didn't expect us to just give him away?

bornadog
15-10-2014, 04:23 PM
So GWS haven't offered anything? Didn't they start all this in the first place by getting in Ryan's ear? What did they intend to offer (before the Boyd stuff started)?

We haven't heard anything, but expect they have been waiting to get pick 7 from Carlton which is now done.

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 04:23 PM

They still want him and will put forward something if they haven't already. It comes down to if they are reasonable (pick 4 and a mid range player) or unreasonable (pick 7 and a low end player)

I think it will be a reasonable offer.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 04:30 PM
I am predicting pick 7 and a mid range player. And if that happens, we tell them to get stuffed. If they can't trade in players, which will happen if they screw Player #16, they have to wait for their happy little Vegemites to come of age before they even think of playing finals footy. Get Griffen looked after, and other high-profile players may jump ship to them next year.

mjp
15-10-2014, 04:30 PM
If GWS get Griffen and Cameron is fit they will play finals next year.

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 04:32 PM

It's why we need a decent player to come back to us. They have a very strong list

1eyedog
15-10-2014, 04:33 PM

Which will go a long way to keeping their young list together over the next 2-3 years.

Pedro Sanchez
15-10-2014, 04:37 PM
They still want him and will put forward something if they haven't already. It comes down to if they are reasonable (pick 4 and a mid range player) or unreasonable (pick 7 and a low end player)

I think it will be a reasonable offer.

At a minimum its pick 4 plus a sweetner. Anything other and its not worth even sitting down at the table for...

BornInDroopSt'54
15-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Griffen is good enough to win the brownlow next year, he could be electric for them. He would take the taggers off their skilled youngsters. They want him bad and he has effectively committed to them. They are just putting us in the pressure cooker and we are holding our nerve. The later the deal is done the better.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-10-2014, 04:51 PM
if they offer pick 7 when they have pick 4 sitting there they can go and get stuffed.

chef
15-10-2014, 04:53 PM
If it was up to me our final offer would be Griffen and 6 for Boyd and 7 and let them stew on that until the deadline.

Scorlibo
15-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Damian Barrett, much to my surprise, just made a great little speech about how it would be a disgrace for GWS not to get this deal done. Was 100% on the money. The onus is on them to get this through. Make us a deal we can't refuse.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 05:00 PM
So Sam Frost is still swinging in the breeze with Melbourne adding band aid after band aid. They think they'll get him in the PSD if a deal's not done. Why would we let that happen?

He should swing our way

RG, P6 and P 26
Boyd, Frost and P7

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 05:04 PM
If it was up to me our final offer would be Griffen and 6 for Boyd and 7 and let them stew on that until the deadline.

Not a bad ploy. Interesting next few hours

Picks 4 and 6 could get them pick 1.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-10-2014, 05:05 PM
FWIW Nat Southby (Sydney journo) tweeting that Boyd - Griff deal MAY happen. Saying its what she's hearing from other club sources.....small chance but some at least

Bulldog Revolution
15-10-2014, 05:08 PM
The age is reporting the blockbuster Boyd Griffen deal is close

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 05:09 PM
It's looking like it's done. 6, Griffen and salary cap assistance for Boyd

Cyberdoggie
15-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Well done to the club for getting their man, we have paid a huge price in my opinion,
Potentially giving up on the likes of Wright and Lever plus huge dollars to get Boyd.

Let's hope he turns out to be the once in a generation player he is touted to be.