PDA

View Full Version : Paying other clubs players.

Twodogs
14-10-2014, 03:10 PM
I know we've done it before and it's a common practice but does it sit right that we are paying some of the wages for a player at another club? To pay someone to play against you doesn't seem right.

And how does it fit into the TPPs of the two clubs?

Anyway good luck to the Coon Roo. It will be weird to see him in another jumper

Scorlibo
14-10-2014, 03:16 PM
In the Cooney instance it's in effect an investment in a young player at the draft. It's pretty difficult to utilise our salary cap to best effect with our current position on the ladder, but this does seem one way to do that.

LostDoggy
14-10-2014, 03:19 PM
I think it depends on the clubs situation at the time.

With our sitation currently, reports suggest we paid the minimum salary cap this year. From that we have lost our highest paid player (Griffen) and possibly 2 top 10 highest paid players (Cooney & Higgins)

Looking at our list, without knowing the specifics of each contract of course, I'm struggling to see who would be receiving much more money next year than this year.

We have tried, but we haven't recruited anyone yet.

If we do land Boyd we are unable to start paying him big dollars until 2016 due to 2015 still being his second year.

As it stands I just can't see how we will manage to pay the minimum salary cap amount for 2015.

This is why I have no issues at all with paying part of Cooney's salary if that nets us a better pick.