PDA

View Full Version : Jarrad Grant forward line structure ?

ledge
15-10-2014, 07:36 PM
With Boyd in it seems we all of a sudden have an abundance of other forwards..
Redpath ,Stringer , Crameri, Grant, Hunter, Dalhaus,Honeychurch, Dickson, Campbell. People talk of Roughead even going forward.
Will Grant benefit with this ? will Redpath get an upgrade ? Could it be possible Jones stays now ?
What path will we take ?
The rest of the draft do we look at our backline ?

bulldogtragic
15-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Jones & Grant stay. Red path gone ski.

ledge
15-10-2014, 07:50 PM
I personally think Jones is gone and Redpath will be a great addition with Boyd, both big bodied forwards who can work together, crunch packs and shepherd each other.
Or lead to opposite pockets, really stretching opposition backmen

GVGjr
15-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Redpath still a chance to be upgraded. It might depend on Jones.

I was having a chat with Mofra earlier and asked the question about if we could juggle Jones, Boyd, Stringer, Crameri and Bontempelli
and we still thought it could be done. Bontempelli and Stringer will spend more time in the midfield and Crameri spends a fair bit of time up the ground anyway. You would love to be a small forward in this mix and Hunter, Hrovat Honeychurch and Dahlhaus should enjoy this set-up. On top of that there is some speculation that Roughead might move forward.

Grant, Dickson, Campbell and Redpath will have their work cut out to hold spots. All are talented.
Maybe Redpath to the back line is a decent experiment.

ledge
15-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Oh and don't forget Fletcher Roberts who I believe came as a forward, if TAlia and him get games next year it's a bloody good side.
The VFL side of 2014 could be a jaugernaut of what's to come.

lemmon
15-10-2014, 09:17 PM
I'd have no problem hanging onto Jones and upgrading Redpath. We have to remember Boyd is 19, if we can get 18 games and 20 goals out of him next year I'd be pretty stoked, all the forward cover we can give him the better in these formative years. Even if it is Jack playing as a dummy forward and smacking into bodies, the more time we can give Boyd 1 on 1, letting him try to clunk a few and getting his confidence up the better.

Boyd is going to be under massive pressure to perform early from members and competition scrutiny, I hope we all remain absolutely patient, he's a pick for 2016 and beyond.

dog town
15-10-2014, 09:21 PM
I'd have no problem hanging onto Jones and upgrading Redpath. We have to remember Boyd is 19, if we can get 18 games and 20 goals out of him next year I'd be pretty stoked, all the forward cover we can give him the better in these formative years. Even if it is Jack playing as a dummy forward and smacking into bodies, the more time we can give Boyd 1 on 1, letting him try to clunk a few and getting his confidence up the better.

Boyd is going to be under massive pressure to perform early from members and competition scrutiny, I hope we all remain absolutely patient, he's a pick for 2016 and beyond. Yep. We need to keep some support for Boyd. Absolute disaster if we have Boyd playing against the best defender every week as our only viable tall option. We need Campbell, Jones, Stringer, Crameri to give him support.

As for Grant I think there is a clear place for him if he gets a run at it. Much will depend on the coach we get.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Tomorrow this thread will become more apparent.

josie
15-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Agree with you Lemmon.

I hope Redpath gets more of a go. He only had 5 or games in 2015 and I thought he was OK. The fire in the belly hw showed in last qtr of VFL was superb too. He sure can smack bodies !!

josie
15-10-2014, 09:26 PM
I also recall Grant playing a game or two this year on wing & a bit in middle before his nose got broken. I thought he looked alright - however he looks so fragile I wonder if his body will withstand this type of rigour.

BulldogBelle
15-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Tomorrow this thread will become more apparent.

Are you implying Grant will be gone?

bornadog
15-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Are you implying Grant will be gone?

I took it as we will know more about Jones

BulldogBelle
15-10-2014, 09:34 PM

Thanks for that, makes sense now.

ledge
15-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Grant still has that X factor, a bit like Bonty, they just have something different that can change things in a flash, if Grant can get it going its a very big upside.

bornadog
15-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Grant still has that X factor, a bit like Bonty, they just have something different that can change things in a flash, if Grant can get it going its a very big upside.

He just has to stay near Boyd and take the crumbs - he will be licking his lips next year.

Redpath to CHB

Doc26
15-10-2014, 09:56 PM

I would now like us to work on stemming some of the bleeding of late although I appreciate this now be lost on some.

Working on keeping Jones would be a good outcome.

Liam for mine is more the priority here. Another year on in his development and Boyd coming into our structure, I feel the time is about right for Liam to flourish. With a new Coach and Crammers possibly out for a stint he is likely to get the opportunity he desires so long as he works his butt off for it.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm happy for Jones to leave. He still lacks footy IQ and has no endurance - hard to see either improving dramatically.

I'd upgrade Redpath.

Bulldog Joe
15-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I'm happy for Jones to leave. He still lacks footy IQ and has no endurance - hard to see either improving dramatically.

I'd upgrade Redpath.

I would prefer Redpath to Jones. Redpath can play a role down back if required.

Doc26
15-10-2014, 10:54 PM
His (Jones) showing in the second half of the VFL qualifying final, when working further up the ground, was impressive to say the least. With Boyd, he will get greater opportunity to do this. And even with Boyd, we're still lacking a key forward.

I'm not convinced that we've given the best development experience for Liam to date. A new Coach with a different perspective and support staff might help make the difference currently lacking in Liam.

I'm encouraged to hear that he's continuing to work on his fitness out of season and that he has at least shown improvement in this area. Yes he has deficiencies to work on and as Carlton see attraction in him, even with all the talls, so do I when considering the likely return for him.

With that said, unfortunately at this time these are probably moot points with his desire to leave likely to be set.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 11:09 PM
I personally think Jones is gone and Redpath will be a great addition with Boyd, both big bodied forwards who can work together, crunch packs and shepherd each other.
Or lead to opposite pockets, really stretching opposition backmen

Great call ledge

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 11:13 PM

I'd upgrade Redpath.

Definatley would piss jones off and upgrade Redders!!

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Definatley would piss jones off and upgrade Redders!!

Jones has more AFL ability in his little finger than the entirety of Redpath considerable mass. Jones has some big issues, but he is a chance of coming good. Redpath is no chance than ever becoming more than just a stop gap type of player.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Jones has more AFL ability in his little finger than the entirety of Redpath considerable mass. Jones has some big issues, but he is a chance of coming good. Redpath is no chance than ever becoming more than just a stop gap type of player.

Your opinions are based on what?
Facts?
Observations?
Assumptions?

ledge
16-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Well Redpath at least chases and tackles with a grip that you can't escape , he takes one grab marks, doesn't run backwards saying kick it over the top because I cant be bothered leading more than once, also takes marks in front of him not on his chest, can break packs and bring the ball to ground, has a body that the opposition know will hurt them.
I would take him over jones as far as all those points go.

Maddog37
16-10-2014, 08:12 PM
I think
Jones is more talented but Redpath is more honest in his effort. Redpath is a nice kick too.

Greystache
17-10-2014, 01:05 AM

I'd upgrade Redpath.

Me too.

They have different strengths and weakness, really the only comparison is they play a similar position.

Jones is a great athlete but lacks effort, desire, footy IQ, and a physical presence. He's also had a mountain of opportunity.

Redpath is a classic old school footballer, he leads at the ball hard, attacks it, and attacks the man with it. He's not a great athlete but has a big physical presence. He's also had minimal opportunity.

I'd offer Redpath a 1 year contract as much as that might frustrate him, but he should be given an opportunity.

lemmon
17-10-2014, 01:50 AM
Without Jones, Redpath has a really key role for mine next year in giving Boyd a chopout and providing another tall option. The worst thing we can do is break our new toy by asking too much of him, going to him too often or hurting his confidence because he is being beaten up by the number 1 defender each week. I'd also like us to grab one of Kietel, Mackenzie or Lamb with one of those second round picks so we can start to develop a FF/CHF combo for the next 10 years but until then we need a guy like Redpath or even Roughead to step up and be a bit of a role player in looking after our 19 year old colt.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Anyone remember last time we had a KPF? The years were also when Jarrad Grant kicked his highest goals per game. Not beyond the realms of possibility that getting an opponent undersized or under Grants athleticism might just let him show something again.

Also, it's a contract year so back him in for a good year. :)

lemmon
19-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Anyone remember last time we had a KPF? The years were also when Jarrad Grant kicked his highest goals per game. Not beyond the realms of possibility that getting an opponent undersized or under Grants athleticism might just let him show something again.

Also, it's a contract year so back him in for a good year. :)
I agree with that, Boyd looks the perfect foil for a quick leading 193cm type forward in the same way that Tippet did great things for the career of Tex Walker. I've suggested we draft one to complete the forward line puzzle but no reason it can't be Grant if he ups his workrate and start to impact games. Obviously Stringer is the other option but I'd like to see him spending some time in the midfield as a third year player and with Griff going. Not a terrible like for like replacement in the centre square.

ratsmac
19-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I believe Jarrad Grant's biggest issue is between his ears. He has so much ability it's not funny. He has the perfect opportunity to impress an in coming coach and make a spot in our forward line his own. He needs to harden up as well. I don't know what it is but he seems to get really shaken up when ever he gets an injury and struggles to break back into the team. It has to be a confidence issue with him. He is now one of our most senior players with the exit of #16, Cooney, Gia and Higgins. It's time (overdue some what) for Grant to grow up, be a man and claim his territory in our best 22. I truly believe he can but does he believe. #bemorebulldog

F'scary
19-10-2014, 04:25 PM
I think Grants best work occurs when he is playing high, not deep. Most of his goals occur when he is running in to the goal. I would keep him out of the FF line. I haven't seen him doing much with leading from there. If he stands still, he stagnates. He looks his best when he is constantly moving around the HF and C lines. One of his best traits is that he has excellent disposal vision.

Ozza
20-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Hoping that Gia can work with Grant to try and get the best out of him this year.

I'm not holding my breath on Grant...I have very little faith....BUT, Gia could always find the footy (get to the right spots) and could execute. If Grant could get the footy and handful more times, and execute well when he does get it - he just may prove himself to be a handy forward.

At the moment - I prefer a fit Dickson.

always right
20-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Grant and Dickson....I don't know who I prefer. One has tricks but no workrate whilst the other hardly misses but has no tricks and struggles to find much of the ball.

azabob
20-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Grant and Dickson....I don't know who I prefer. One has tricks but no workrate whilst the other hardly misses but has no tricks and struggles to find much of the ball.

I do. Dickson.

Dickson averages more goals per game as well.

Mofra
20-10-2014, 02:33 PM
I do. Dickson.

Dickson averages more goals per game as well.
This. I'll take boring old goal and a half per game + defensive efforts solid player over 7 years of teasing

LostDoggy
23-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Redpath deserves a year as thanks for the LOLs when he almost threw the hawks captain over the fence in the VFL Grand Final. Laughed and laughed - man he's one scary tank. We should at least give him a game vs GWS so he can beat the sooks up...#belessgwankers