PDA

View Full Version : Cooney's lost plot

Webby
15-10-2014, 09:23 PM
I should say that I think it's good, pragmatic business for us to move Cooney on.

However, from his viewpoint, I can't understand why he'd want to go to the scum!? They're headed nowhere. They've lost Ryder. Their draft sanctions are starting to bite and they've been riddled with a supplements scandal for two years..

He's probably got two good years left. He's going to a club that won't contend, is destroying any legacy he has with the Dogs (as a Brownlow Medallist who is going to the hated local rival) and will forever be tainted at the club where he's made his name.

Crazy.

Bulldog4life
15-10-2014, 09:25 PM
I should say that I think it's good, pragmatic business for us to move Cooney on.

However, from his viewpoint, I can't understand why he'd want to go to the scum!? They're headed nowhere. They've lost Ryder. Their draft sanctions are starting to bite and they've been riddled with a supplements scandal for two years..

He's probably got two good years left. He's going to a club that won't contend, is destroying any legacy he has with the Dogs (as a Brownlow Medallist who is going to the hated local rival) and will forever be tainted at the club where he's made his name.
Crazy.

Might think it would be easier to get a game there. I heard he was super impressed with their training facilities too.

Maddog37
15-10-2014, 09:28 PM
I hear they have amazing medical staff.....

Go_Dogs
15-10-2014, 09:29 PM
He's declared them as his destination? Ryder deal has been done?

Still a bit of water to go under the bridge yet.

josie
15-10-2014, 09:29 PM
I for one think he does not destroy his Dog's legacy whether he goes to North or Bombers. Played his best years with us & showed loyalty (albeit on good $) when he could have gone to another club when in his prime.

Hopefully we get something good for him. From what I read on another thread the North Melbourne offer looks better for us.

Webby
15-10-2014, 09:31 PM
He's declared them as his destination? Ryder deal has been done?

Still a bit of water to go under the bridge yet.

Yes, word is Essendon's his choice ahead of North.
And Ryder won't be at Essendon next year by hook or by crook.

Webby
15-10-2014, 09:35 PM
I for one think he does not destroy his Dog's legacy whether he goes to North or Bombers. Played his best years with us & showed loyalty (albeit on good $) when he could have gone to another club when in his prime.

Hopefully we get something good for him. From what I read on another thread the North Melbourne offer looks better for us.

The North offer is better for him (more money and closer to contention) and better for us....
...... Yet he wants Essendon! Thus my suggestion that he's lost the plot!

Aside from the fact that I can't stand Essendon!..... They'd want to be bloody good training facilities!

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 10:00 PM

I agree. He could've gone to any club in the land after 2008. Number one pick, Brownlow Medallist, we can't ask for much more than Cooney has given us. Totally different situation to Player #16.

josie
15-10-2014, 10:07 PM
The North offer is better for him (more money and closer to contention) and better for us....
...... Yet he wants Essendon! Thus my suggestion that he's lost the plot!

Aside from the fact that I can't stand Essendon!..... They'd want to be bloody good training facilities!

Coons better think twice about drinking the Gatorade if gets to Bomberland. Thanks for info. - hope he goes to North.

ledge
15-10-2014, 10:08 PM
From what I heard he wasn't leaving the club until his review in which he was told he would probably get less game time, no qualms about him looking elsewhere, to be honest look at our mids, all young and coming on, good choice for him to
Look for more game time and while we can still get something for him.

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Coons better think twice about drinking the Gatorade if gets to Bomberland. Thanks for info. - hope he goes to North.

Out of gatorade, only Hird Coolaid left

LostDoggy
15-10-2014, 10:12 PM

Crazy.

How can he be destroying his legacy? He might of been told he has one year left with us when even you say he has got two good years left.
He would absolutely think he has two left in him and if he waits till the end of next year to be let go by us his career is over. This is his last chance to get an earn he has a young family to think of and when your talking another 250k what would you do?

The man was a Superstar at his best and it was cruely taken away from him and us, he now easily does enough to make our best 22 and in my eyes and heart will go down as one of our greats and it will always be in the back of my mind that he could've been anything.

Webby
15-10-2014, 10:23 PM
The man was a Superstar at his best and it was cruely taken away from him and us, he now easily does enough to make our best 22 and in my eyes and heart will go down as one of our greats and it will always be in the back of my mind that he could've been anything.

I guess that's my point. He can still go down as a beloved legend - if he stays. However if he goes (particularly to Essendon) he's tainted. If looking after his family was the issue, surely he'd take the bigger offer at North?

Essendon - say it ain't so, Adam!!

Twodogs
15-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Seems like there would be more opportunities at North for Adam and the opportunities for finals must be attractive. Then again Essendon are pretty much as likely to play finals if the sanctions aren't to bad.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2014, 10:33 PM
He'd be a good fit for North IMO.

Agree that going to Essendon would be a bizarre decision.

Maddog37
15-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Unfair to call him tainted for going to another club when we shopped him around.

Dry Rot
15-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Unfair to call him tainted for going to another club when we shopped him around.

Agreed. Good luck to him - very different to Ryan Quisling.

KT31
15-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Don't like his choice of clubs but good luck to him , he has given all to us, sometimes on one leg.

ratsmac
15-10-2014, 11:51 PM
I wish the best for Coons. I wish he wasn't leaving us. I'm going to miss yelling "COOOONEY" every time he got the ball.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-10-2014, 11:54 PM
I have no hard feelings against Cooney. Hope he does well wherever he goes, and hope he still has the club in high regard. Although we won't exactly have premiership reunions with him, I'd welcome him back anytime in the future (so to speak).

Completely different to Judas.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 12:26 AM
I hope the fax machine breaks.

SonofScray
16-10-2014, 12:36 AM
Cooney has given us his best and worked hard to keep giving it under adversity. If he leaves he does so with the respect and appreciation of the membership.

Go_Dogs
16-10-2014, 09:06 AM
If we can't get a deal done with North and Harper, what about involving ourselves in a 3-way trade with Port and Essendon?

Port - Get Ryder, give up pick 17 and 37
Essendon - Get pick 17, 27, 45 and Cooney, give up Ryder, Pick 20
Dogs - Get pick 20, 37, give up Cooney and 27, 45

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 09:16 AM
If we can't get a deal done with North and Harper, what about involving ourselves in a 3-way trade with Port and Essendon?

Interesting deal. Not without merit.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 09:45 AM

clever

Twodogs
16-10-2014, 09:52 AM

Pick 20 would be an outstanding result for us.

w3design
16-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Cooney has given us his best and worked hard to keep giving it under adversity. If he leaves he does so with the respect and appreciation of the membership.

Has literally run his body into the ground for the Red, White and Blue. Would love for him to play out his career with us, but if not, I will still have respect for the bloke.
If he leaves, I'll probably find myself still yelling out "COOOOOONEY" as he bust through the middle....

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Apparently Cooney's mother has been on the Facebook page defending her son.

Saying things like, Cooney has been nothing but loyal to this club, funding some of his own knee treatment overseas ect.

Also said he was told he wasn't apart of next years plans.

I haven't seen the posts, just been told they exist.

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 10:27 AM

Saying things like, Cooney has been nothing but loyal to this club, funding some of his own knee treatment overseas ect.

That's all fair but there might be a slightly different version of it.

I think Cooney was asked to get very fit and to adjust the way he played the game by adding a more defensive ethic otherwise he couldn't be guaranteed a senior spot every week. I don't think that sat well with him.

Cooney is a star and until now loyal to the club but has he done his best to be his best through his career?

Mantis
16-10-2014, 10:29 AM

Wouldn't the senior coach be the one with the final call on this?

Greystache
16-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Also said he was told he wasn't apart of next years plans... Unless he dramatically improved his defensive efforts and preparedness to play team football was the actual comment. Nothing like using half a quote to make yourself the victim.

Cooney's been playing on his own terms most of his career, and given his limited output since he hurt his knee 6 years ago, a change is long overdue. The fact that his first response was to request a trade to another club makes a big statement on his preparedness to play team football.

Dancin' Douggy
16-10-2014, 11:19 AM

Great Plan. Winners all round. I hope someone important sees this, or thinks of it.
I reckon it would work

always right
16-10-2014, 11:40 AM
I really want us to get the Cooney/Harper deal done. Do the right thing Adam and head to the kangaroos. I don't want you playing at a club I detest.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 12:28 PM
The Age reporting Cooney to Dons for pick 37 in a three-way trade with Port - including Ryder

Go_Dogs
16-10-2014, 12:31 PM
The Age reporting Cooney to Dons for pick 37 in a three-way trade with Port - including Ryder

My deal sounded better.... :D

Cyberdoggie
16-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Dodoro is a classic!,

Saying that Cooney wanted to play for them because of the sponginess of their indoor facility and that he really wanted to play for James Hird. Talk about propaganda!

Also dogs not paying any of his salary from what I can gather.

Webby
16-10-2014, 08:13 PM
It's perhaps more of a personal thing to me, however it just saddens me a bit that Cooney chose Essendon of all clubs. I'm pretty pragmatic with player moves. I'm a big baseball fan and don't hold grudges with players moving on. Some liquidity of movement is beneficial to all. Trade is a good thing.

However, there are certain moves that are still heavily frowned upon. Red Sox to Yankees, Spurs to Arsenal, Barca to Real, Collingwood to Carlton etc etc.

I don't struggle with players moving to North. Gary Dempsey could understandably not foresee finals footy with us post 30yrs. So he joined perennial contenders, North. I got it. However, Cooney choosing Essendon (and the inferior deal for us) is disappointing.

It taints him in my mind. I'm not saying I dislike him or anything, I'm just saying that I'll always think of the scum when I think of him.... and that's a shame.

But hey, it's a free world. It's his career. Onwards and upwards.

mighty_west
16-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Has been a pleasure watching Coons for a decade in the tri colours, one of my faves and really wish him all the best.

I actually think the Bombers out of the two was the better choice, I don't believe either team will win a flag in the next few years anyway while he'll be there, he gets to play in front of alot bigger crowds especially at the G, Dreamtime game, Anzac day etc.

Scorlibo
16-10-2014, 11:36 PM
It's perhaps more of a personal thing to me, however it just saddens me a bit that Cooney chose Essendon of all clubs. I'm pretty pragmatic with player moves. I'm a big baseball fan and don't hold grudges with players moving on. Some liquidity of movement is beneficial to all. Trade is a good thing.

However, there are certain moves that are still heavily frowned upon. Red Sox to Yankees, Spurs to Arsenal, Barca to Real, Collingwood to Carlton etc etc.

I don't struggle with players moving to North. Gary Dempsey could understandably not foresee finals footy with us post 30yrs. So he joined perennial contenders, North. I got it. However, Cooney choosing Essendon (and the inferior deal for us) is disappointing.

It taints him in my mind. I'm not saying I dislike him or anything, I'm just saying that I'll always think of the scum when I think of him.... and that's a shame.

But hey, it's a free world. It's his career. Onwards and upwards.

You've got a strange outlook Webby! I'm not sure us pure footy fans are ready for your innovative baseball mindset. I'm also not sure there's really that much space for rivalries in pragmatism.

As far as rivalries go, could the Western Sydney vs Western Melbourne one become a big one? Their press conference today made them seem like a rogue Bulldogs faction. Their coach, captain and best player are all Bulldogs products.

Webby
17-10-2014, 12:31 AM
My point is that I'm pretty pragmatic, but for me, Essendon is the Real to my Barca, the Yankees to my Red Sox or the Spurs to my Arsenal (!) so to speak.

Here's an example from Facebook of the class of a random Bombres fan:

"Paddy ryder i wish u & ur family all the worst in life & hope the injections affect u in the near future & 4 the rest of ur life"
(Brian Holt, Oct 16th 2014)

All class... Just saying I wish Coons had chosen anyone else!

FrediKanoute
17-10-2014, 02:55 AM
My point is that I'm pretty pragmatic, but for me, Essendon is the Real to my Barca, the Yankees to my Red Sox or the Spurs to my Arsenal (!) so to speak.

"Paddy ryder i wish u & ur family all the worst in life & hope the injections affect u in the near future & 4 the rest of ur life"

Ahhhhhh.....so they knew that there was something dodgy about the needles!!!! There's the proof ASADA needs

bull79
17-10-2014, 06:28 AM
I'm sure we could of offered him a spongey surface, to play better?

I feel he screwed us by picking Essendon. Would of really liked the Kangaroos offer.
He's worth more than 37?

Hotdog60
17-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Hird made him change his mind in the end.
Must have said I got some vitamins that will help that knee and will have you playing like a 20 year old.

Remi Moses
17-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Cooney's been on To quote jeemak " the banana lounge"
For a while now .
He's never had a semblance of a defense about him. Interesting how Norf fans will feel about Adam choosing Essendon over them.
Doesn't take much for a Norf fan to feel slighted.

SlimPickens
17-10-2014, 03:08 PM

Have you read some of the comments around Griffen. Not much better.

Ozza
17-10-2014, 05:06 PM

Webby I did read this morning that the Essendon deal didn't involve us having to pay for any of Cooney's salary (as opposed to having to for North) so I think this made the deal a bit more palatable to us. I would also suggest that if we're keen on Kieran Harper - we are a good chance to pick him up in the PSD.

chef
17-10-2014, 05:25 PM

Actually it would have been worse wouldn't it, we would have received him 36 instead of 37 and still traded that to Sydney for Biggs and 39 but we would also have had to pay some of Cooneys wage at Norf.

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 05:34 PM

I'm not sure the Essendon deal was that much inferior but it certainly was different to what North proposed.
North wanted assistance to pay part of Cooney's salary and they were proposing trading the contracted Kieran Harper to us.
I believe the deal was something like:
Cooney, part of his salary and pick our 27 for Harper and pick their 36.

We were interested in Harper but that door closed when Cooney really only wanted to go to Essendon.

Essendon's offer of pick 37 with no financial assistance was reasonably fair in my view.

Just on Harper. He has a contract and unless the Kangas let him go which is highly unlikely given they are right at their cap level we won't be adding Harper to our list for next season.

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 05:35 PM
I would also suggest that if we're keen on Kieran Harper - we are a good chance to pick him up in the PSD.

He has a contract so it's unlikely.