PDA

View Full Version : Jason McCartney

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Last year there was a growing concern that a stubborn Essendon was going to get on top of us in the Stewart Crameri deal.
This year we had an emphatic press statement from GWS that Tom Boyd would not be traded.
In both negotiations Jason McCartney has held his nerve and delivered the player we coveted.

Whilst on paper we might have paid overs for Boyd it's still a great effort to get the deal done.

How does he achieve this? Well my understanding is that right through the year McCartney has the player managers come in and see him and he discusses at length every player coming out of contract. It's a meticulous approach that has him gaining the knowledge required to get deals done.

All year long Brendan McCartney had been asking for the recruiting and list management team to deliver him a key forward or in the more modern speak a power forward either via the draft or via a trade.
Jason McCartney was able to deliver this and it's a shame we don't have Brendan around to enjoy this moment.

I hope everyone now appreciates what our club has been able to achieve. Jason McCartney along with many others including the President played a big part in this effort.

Pedro Sanchez
16-10-2014, 12:18 AM
Last year there was a growing concern that a stubborn Essendon was going to get on top of us in the Stewart Crameri deal.
This year we had an emphatic press statement from GWS that Tom Boyd would not be traded.
In both negotiations Jason McCartney has held his nerve and delivered the player we coveted.

Whilst on paper we might have paid overs for Boyd it's still a great effort to get the deal done.

How does he achieve this? Well my understanding is that right through the year McCartney has the player managers come in and see him and he discusses at length every player coming out of contract. It's a meticulous approach that has him gaining the knowledge required to get deals done.

All year long Brendan McCartney had been asking for the recruiting and list management team to deliver him a key forward or in the more modern speak a power forward either via the draft or via a trade.
Jason McCartney was able to deliver this and it's a shame we don't have Brendan around to enjoy this moment.

I hope everyone now appreciates what our club has been able to achieve. Jason McCartney along with many others including the President played a big part in this effort.

Yep. He's doing a great job. Really giving us some edge in the trading department. Lets hope he pulls out another surprise or two tomorrow.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 12:18 AM
Great to have the resources now to have a full time list manager compared to the past. We have reaped rewards in the past few years.

Also thanks to Garlick who helped negotiate the final details with Matthews.

This is how it happened:

Text messages from the promising young forward, while on a surfing holiday in Indonesia to his coach Leon Cameron and chief executive David Matthews, helped create the shift in the Giants' mindset over their refusal to trade the young player. The Dogs bold decision to throw everything at Boyd came out of a meeting at the home of Bulldogs president Peter Gordon attended by chief executive Simon Garlick and Boyd's manager Liam Pickering on Tuesday night. It is understood it was at that meeting the Dogs agreed to add pick six to the offer of their captain Griffen and raised the idea of contributing to the cost of Griffen's contract. There were direct negotiations on Wednesday between Garlick and Matthews to finalise the trade.
The Boyd camp had been strong in insisting that he would only go to the Bulldogs next year once his initial two-year contract was up and therefore sought to disabuse the Giants of the idea that they would be able to auction him to all 10 Victorian clubs next year for a better deal.
Once the Bulldogs offer was substantially improved to add pick six to Griffen, and the contribution to the midfielder's contract, it was doubtful they would receive a better trade deal.
Furthermore, even the Giants felt other clubs would be unlikely to offer a financial deal of the length and scale of the Bulldogs' offer for Boyd next year and so there was a risk of losing him for nothing through the pre-season draft.

link: h (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tom-boyd-backflip-dogs-to-tip-in-nearly-1m-towards-ryan-griffens-giant-deal-20141015-116m1f.html)ere

KT31
16-10-2014, 12:20 AM
Agree and we should IMO we gave the wrong Macca a contract extension.
We should stitch JMc up as long as we can, its only going to be a matter of time befor eanother team tries to poach him.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2014, 12:26 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc4m1azMpM1qlyh48.gif

KT31
16-10-2014, 12:35 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc4m1azMpM1qlyh48.gif

Rosebud ?

josie
16-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Rosebud ?

RoseBoyd?

bulldogtragic
16-10-2014, 12:44 AM
Slap.

As for Carlton, Boyd was a mad blues supporter. A) they DIDNT aim high enough or B) they couldn't pay a million a year because Thomas got that salary as they were in their window.

Free agency giveth and taketh off the unwise list manager.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 01:12 AM
Best thing to come out of North Melbourne since Liberatore.

KT31
16-10-2014, 01:17 AM
Best thing to come out of North Melbourne since Liberatore.

Didn't rate Jose ?

lemmon
16-10-2014, 01:26 AM
I thought the area where we may miss Scott Clayton in was his work at the trade table where he was regarded a real dead-eye as well but J-Mac has been absolutely top line since joining. So much credit must go to J-Mac and the team who appointed him, we really haven't missed a beat come trade time the last few years.

Greystache
16-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Slap.

As for Carlton, Boyd was a mad blues supporter. A) they DIDNT aim high enough or B) they couldn't pay a million a year because Thomas got that salary as they were in their window.

Free agency giveth and taketh off the unwise list manager.

Wow that would sting them. $700k+ for a guy that was tagging at times this year!

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 01:32 AM
Didn't rate Jose ?

Ok. Got me there. Since Libba and Jose then

bulldogtragic
16-10-2014, 01:33 AM
Wow that would sting them. $700k+ for a guy that was tagging at times this year!

I'm assuming Carlton have web forums too, anyone who knows what they are (or cares) remind them Daisy Thomas & Jacksch cost over a million dollars in salary a year. Boyd, who all the cheats fans saw as coming home after announcing his supported team on AFL360 last year costs less and was gettable.

Pow. Right in the kisser.

dog town
16-10-2014, 07:43 AM
I am ok with us paying overs for Boyd based on our long term inability to fill that role. We would have ended up paying overs down the track anyway for someone else. What I now hope is we see evidence of McCartney having a very calculated and methodical plan for our list build from here. Obviously we will have no first round picks this year but we might still have 3 second round picks plus a bargain with Cordy.

Some of it is no more than fancy propaganda but if I was a saints supporter I would have been pretty encouraged with the article about their plan for building their list. I am hoping we have a similarly calculated plan. You need to be flexible when things like this come up (sounds like saints would have given up pick 1 for Boyd) but overall we need a disciplined plan. We have had our little blow out here and the good vibes it has created probably justify giving up a bit extra. Now lets get back to adding as many early draft picks as we can in the next few seasons. We still have some big holes.

westdog54
16-10-2014, 07:51 AM
He has definitely squeezed the most out of every encounter at the trade table but his work has only just begun.

With the massive long term deal for Boys and some exceptional young talent coming through managing our salary cap will be a monumental task.

I'm looking forward to how he handles it.

BulldogBelle
16-10-2014, 08:11 AM
I thought the area where we may miss Scott Clayton in was his work at the trade table where he was regarded a real dead-eye as well but J-Mac has been absolutely top line since joining. So much credit must go to J-Mac and the team who appointed him, we really haven't missed a beat come trade time the last few years.

To be honest l thought Clayton's draft picks had been pretty average from about mid 2000's.
l think Gold Coast saved us by taking him off our hands.
Clayton had been living off the glory of his first few drafts.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 09:58 AM
On SEN this morning asked about Jones, Cooney and Tutt and he said they have requested a trade so we will see what happens today.

I expect them all gone.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 02:31 PM
He has definitely squeezed the most out of every encounter at the trade table but his work has only just begun.

With the massive long term deal for Boys and some exceptional young talent coming through managing our salary cap will be a monumental task.

I'm looking forward to how he handles it.

With us offering to pay "his" (you know whose) contract next year, it's fairly obvious we're struggling to pay the minimum. They'd be idiots to make this kind of offer without factoring in the necessity of keeping Stringer, Bontempelli, etc. in years to come, we also get to pay 105% if we only pay 95% the year before? I think we need to be realistic: we absolutely will lose a player here and there, but as long as the list management is done with a view to the future and medium-long term plans (which Boyd is a great example of) then we're in good hands.

lemmon
16-10-2014, 02:51 PM
To be honest l thought Clayton's draft picks had been pretty average from about mid 2000's.
l think Gold Coast saved us by taking him off our hands.
Clayton had been living off the glory of his first few drafts.

Agree with you in terms of drafting but I was talking purely about his work at the trade table

bornadog
20-07-2017, 03:22 PM
Jason is out of contract this year - need to make sure we sign him up.

ledge
20-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Quite funny isn't it , he is out promoting staying at the club using all the spin doctoring possible to say how good the club is, meanwhile he hasn't re signed.

anfo27
20-07-2017, 06:03 PM
This is worrying, need to sign him up quick! The Suns will be sniffing around i'm sure.

Sedat
20-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Bit of a left field one - Scott Clayton might be out of a job at the end of the season. As a recruiter he was a nightmare but as a list manager, and especially a player contract negotiator, he has few peers - we barely lost anybody of note in 11 years when he was at the helm. I really like McCartney and would prefer that we kept him, but if he was fielding other offers we could do far worse than keep in contact with Clayton.

Fantasia anyone ;)

Axe Man
20-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Bit of a left field one - Scott Clayton might be out of a job at the end of the season. As a recruiter he was a nightmare but as a list manager, and especially a player contract negotiator, he has few peers. I really like McCartney and would prefer that we kept him, but if he was fielding other offers we could do far worse than keep in contact with Clayton.

Only if he says sorry and swims to Williamstown.

Webby
20-07-2017, 06:50 PM
Quite funny isn't it , he is out promoting staying at the club using all the spin doctoring possible to say how good the club is, meanwhile he hasn't re signed.

The assumption here is that the club have put a contract in front of him...

.... perhaps it's the club who are holding it up..

GVGjr
20-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Bit of a left field one - Scott Clayton might be out of a job at the end of the season. As a recruiter he was a nightmare but as a list manager, and especially a player contract negotiator, he has few peers - we barely lost anybody of note in 11 years when he was at the helm. I really like McCartney and would prefer that we kept him, but if he was fielding other offers we could do far worse than keep in contact with Clayton.

Fantasia anyone ;)

I think the whole notion of Clayton being a good negotiator/list manager is at best wishful thinking or at least this theory needs to be tested. The AFL landscape has changed with regards to contracts and player movements and I hope we don't move in his direction if J-Mac moves on.

ledge
20-07-2017, 08:56 PM
The assumption here is that the club have put a contract in front of him...

.... perhaps it's the club who are holding it up..

Could be I just find it ironic a person has to sell a club to players but hasn't been sold on it himself.
We could be looking elsewhere or he could be .

jeemak
20-07-2017, 09:04 PM
He would have incentives and possibly trigger clauses surrounding his ability to re-sign talent, turn the list over and attain talent tied to his contract. Perhaps he or the club - or both - want to see how this post season pans out prior to acting on his status.

He might have a big money offer from another club in front of him, that he's made the club aware of, which the club can't afford to match.

The Doctor
20-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Clayton is a dud

Sedat
20-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Clayton is a dud
He's a dud recruiter.

KT31
20-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Clayton is a dud

IMO huge understatement.

Remi Moses
21-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Good dealer in trade time , but not a great recruiter .

GVGjr
21-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Good dealer in trade time , but not a great recruiter .

Which ones stand out?

Remi Moses
21-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Did well out of the Hudson trade . Thought we did exceptionally well for McMahon

bulldogtragic
23-07-2017, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't touch Clayton if JMac leaves. However, Rocket has been a successful coach at Sydney & Dogs, and has tried to turn around GCS from a dire position. He was a footy boss at Collingwood in between. As far as a senior, experienced footy industry professional goes, he's got 25 years of experience at looking at lists from the inside at 4 clubs in different roles. He could also be a sounding board for others at the club, including coaches. Hopefully JMac signs on, but with Mrs Eade's business in Melbourne you'd think Rocket is coming back and will be looking for a job. Could he do the job well?

hujsh
23-07-2017, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't touch Clayton if JMac leaves. However, Rocket has been a successful coach at Sydney & Dogs, and has tried to turn around GCS from a dire position. He was a footy boss at Collingwood in between. As far as a senior, experienced footy industry professional goes, he's got 25 years of experience at looking at lists from the inside at 4 clubs in different roles. He could also be a sounding board for others at the club, including coaches. Hopefully JMac signs on, but with Mrs Eade's business in Melbourne you'd think Rocket is coming back and will be looking for a job. Could he do the job well?
Did we ever find a new 'bad cop' once Monty left?

bornadog
23-07-2017, 05:09 PM

I can't see Eade being a List Manager. I doubt he has the skills to do this type of job. Eade is a professional coach, but sadly his time is up. Whether he can be a mentor to a young coach I don't now, but that would suit him better.

Twodogs
23-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Did we ever find a new 'bad cop' once Monty left?

Or a decent sounding board for the coaches' tactics and idea. An experienced head to talk them through with. It's a young group and there's been some interesting experiments this year.