PDA

View Full Version : I should have known - 'Not under ANY circumstances'

Raw Toast
16-10-2014, 02:13 AM
Woke up this morning (in the USA) to the glorious news on my email that we'd somehow got Boyd across the line. Still can't quite believe it, but my lass said that GWS' initial statement that they would 'not trade Tom Boyd under any circumstances' was a dead give away that he would be coming to us shortly.

As many politicians (and former Bulldogs coaches) know to their cost, it's the equivalent of being told that you have someone's full support. Reminds me of one of the many highlights of the brilliant 'The Games' mocumentary by John Clarke and Ross Stevenson in the lead up to Sydney 2000 - the 40 seconds from the 22:18 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ3zxF0qPGM&list=UUxAe3NPvYeOwu33-m14avvA) mark of this episode are golden.

Remi Moses
16-10-2014, 03:20 AM
I got a fair indication it would happen when I heard Liam Pickering interviewed.
He sounded agitated and Boyd's insistence on getting out of there was apparent.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Was a silly statement by GWS, just makes you look stupid saying Not under Any circumstances. I think I posted the words Posturing, which it was.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 10:18 AM
I think if you're the CEO of a large organisation e.g public company or football club, you should push to have yourself addressed in documentation and releases as your full name (within reason).

Smokin 'Dave' Matthews CEO of GWS always has himself addressed as Dave. Very unprofessional.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 10:22 AM
He did end up with a pretty good trade! Not saying we didn't but they certainly maximised our offer.

1eyedog
16-10-2014, 10:27 AM
As soon as I heard Boyd wanted to come to us I knew we would get him this trade period. We held 4 aces with Griff and they really wanted him it was just a matter of how it was going to be done. When Boyd said I'll be going to the Dogs either this year or next we had him.

stefoid
16-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Bargaining ploy.

Wish we had got even a 3rd rounder back the other way though. We need em.

always right
16-10-2014, 10:48 AM
I'd really love to know how the trade discussion went. We jumped from demanding a straight swap of players to giving them pick 6 and a truckload of cash.

Did we make other offers/demands before we reached the final point or did we say....stuff it, let's give it our best shot and get this over the line? I admire the club for the outcome but I think we all feel we might have got something back in the form of a later draft pick.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 11:01 AM
I'd really love to know how the trade discussion went. We jumped from demanding a straight swap of players to giving them pick 6 and a truckload of cash.

Did we make other offers/demands before we reached the final point or did we say....stuff it, let's give it our best shot and get this over the line? I admire the club for the outcome but I think we all feel we might have got something back in the form of a later draft pick.

According to Emma Quayles article, Gordon met with Garlick and Pickering at his house on Tuesday and worked out what they would go in with. Paying part of Griffen's salary was the bit that clinched the final deal. I agree, would have been nice to get Boyd plus a late pick - from memory they have pick 40.

always right
16-10-2014, 11:45 AM
According to Emma Quayles article, Gordon met with Garlick and Pickering at his house on Tuesday and worked out what they would go in with. Paying part of Griffen's salary was the bit that clinched the final deal. I agree, would have been nice to get Boyd plus a late pick - from memory they have pick 40.

Are we paying part or all of Griffen's salary next year?

Flamethrower
16-10-2014, 11:52 AM
We can hardly be critical of any comments made by the Giants. Peter Gordon said virtually the same thing when our former captain demanded a trade to Team Orange.

Flamethrower
16-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Word on the street is that without Griffen's salary next year we were going to be way under the minimum 95% of the salary cap. So we agreed to include his wage against our cap space and Tom Boyd's 2015 salary against the Giants' cap.

Chicago1
16-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Woke up this morning (in the USA)

Same thing here morning after morning after morning. Quite a nightmare.:D

What time are you coming over?

Bulldog4life
16-10-2014, 12:08 PM

According to John Ralph of the HUN today we are paying $1 million over 4 years for Griffen's wage.

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 12:18 PM

Part

Raw Toast
16-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Same thing here morning after morning after morning. Quite a nightmare.:D

What time are you coming over?

Not sure if I'm going to be able to make it to Chicago - been in Boston since August and must say I'm loving it, but easier when it's a choice I guess, and heading back to Melbourne in late Dec : )

bulldogtragic
17-10-2014, 12:46 AM
Woke up this morning (in the USA) to the glorious news on my email that we'd somehow got Boyd across the line. Still can't quite believe it, but my lass said that GWS' initial statement that they would 'not trade Tom Boyd under any circumstances' was a dead give away that he would be coming to us shortly.

As many politicians (and former Bulldogs coaches) know to their cost, it's the equivalent of being told that you have someone's full support. Reminds me of one of the many highlights of the brilliant 'The Games' mocumentary by John Clarke and Ross Stevenson in the lead up to Sydney 2000 - the 40 seconds from the 22:18 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ3zxF0qPGM&list=UUxAe3NPvYeOwu33-m14avvA) mark of this episode are golden.

And again here on GWS and Matthews were actually saying about not trading TB, it's quite subtle. 540