PDA

View Full Version : Shane Biggs is a Bulldog

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Confirmed Biggs and Pick 39 for pick our 37.

Sydney playing very fair.

whythelongface
16-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Good pick up from all reports. Got to be happy about that.

Sedat
16-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Nice one. Well done Sydney (and our guys as well of course)

bulldogtragic
16-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Money ball trade. Take it.

lemmon
16-10-2014, 02:55 PM
No idea about this one, can't see I've ever seen the bloke play before.

G-Mo77
16-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Good get, 2 pick downgrade so didn't give up a lot.

lemmon
16-10-2014, 02:58 PM

I'm happy with that, realistically he would have been a delisted free agent anyway so there was no onus to give anything but we've acted fairly amicably and maintained decent relations. It's a good faith trade as much as anything

1eyedog
16-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Confirmed Biggs and Pick 39 for pick our 37.

Sydney playing very fair.

He played in two finals for them so he must be able to play. I haven't seen anything of him. Possible HBF? If one of Biggs / Darley work out we've done ok.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 02:59 PM
That's a great nil all result for pick purposes, and we get a semi-seasoned player.

Welcome 'Ronnie'!

Bulldog Revolution
16-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Nice work

Credit to Sydney for helping the player find a new home - we've done the same with Jones

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 03:01 PM
He played in two finals for them so he must be able to play. I haven't seen anything of him. Possible HBF? If one of Biggs / Darley work out we've done ok.

I think that is about right.

Throughandthrough
16-10-2014, 03:04 PM
#neverheardofhim

(which i will completely deny when he turns out to be a gun!)

Welcome Ronnie!

1eyedog
16-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Has a bit of toe and looks committed at the football

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7iyE3DoI90

bornadog
16-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Shane Biggs becomes the fifth ex-Bendigo Bomber on the list. Joins Campbell, Dickson, Redpath and Crameri.

Happy Days
16-10-2014, 03:19 PM
This is good because now we have Biggs, Boyd, and big Boyd.

Remi Moses
16-10-2014, 03:28 PM
He played early in the season I think .
Did a few nice things if I recall.
Someone get on the blower to Dodoro at Essendon, as that's how you conduct trades.
It's not a hostage negotiation

SquirrelGrip
16-10-2014, 03:53 PM
He reminds me of Crossy with his steady hands.

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 03:55 PM
He reminds me of Crossy with his steady hands.

That's not a bad comparison. Gee if he was somewhere near his level it would be a great win

stefoid
16-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Has played in more AFL finals than 95% of our list.

Bulldog Joe
16-10-2014, 03:59 PM

Played the last 3 rounds.

In round 22 he played as a tagger on player #16 and kept him very quiet.

Ozza
16-10-2014, 04:15 PM
I remember thinking he looked ok against us. And recall him getting a fair bit of the footy in the finals last year. He wore number 46 - so stood out a bit.

Might add a bit of run to half back or a wing - which we lack.

Welcome aboard Biggsy.

SquirrelGrip
16-10-2014, 04:17 PM
In round 22 he played as a tagger on player #16 and kept him very quiet.

Check the highlights package on the club website. The first tackle is particularly enjoyable now!

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Nice work to get this done, Biggs looked solid this year in his few games.

F'scary
16-10-2014, 05:10 PM
This is good because now we have Biggs, Boyd, and big Boyd.

We've got our own Killer Bees!!!

Ozza
16-10-2014, 05:11 PM
I know everybody looks good in a highlights package....but he can certainly kick the footy.

BulldogBelle
16-10-2014, 05:15 PM
That's a great nil all result for pick purposes, and we get a semi-seasoned player.

Welcome 'Ronnie'!

Love it!

Throughandthrough
16-10-2014, 06:20 PM
I know everybody looks good in a highlights package....but he can certainly kick the footy.

Apart from Billy Stretch, his AFL highlights package was very average. Really puzzled me, that one. His best of, on teh dee's site, is much stronger. #puzzled

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 06:25 PM
I don't think you can get worse the Zaines when the website put it up. Two or three of the kicks went OOBOTFull :D

soupman
16-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Just some of the descriptions of him from Sydney fans blatantly stolen from a certain other forum:

In the reserves he postly played as a half back flanker, the team generated a lot of our rebound through him as you can see in his Rebound 50s stats. I guess you could call him our Malceski of the reserves team. In our seniors this year, he played some tagging roles which was a little surprising, and did well, including a good job on Griffen when we played you guys.

He's supposedly renowned for his kicking skills, although I think this facet of his game has been overrated just a tad. Don't get me wrong he can hit targets but I think it drops significantly if he's under pressure. He's a very outside player, lots of handball receives, won't go diving into to too many packs.

He's a keeper. Really surprised he's going as we're losing Mal. Good kick, gets a lot of it, can shut someone down. PLayed finals last year and was really good. PLayed run with roles at the end of this year and shut down some ball magnets

I am upset to see him go as on the Swans board I was calling for him to play all year in 2014 as I really thought he was going to slot in the side easily when either Shaw or Malceski left. Every game he played in the seniors he looked like he belonged out there and in the 2013 finals series he was actually one of our best players.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Certainly had a very impressive year in the NEAFL.

Obviously it's not as strong as the VFL, but still pretty impressive numbers.

In 17 Games he averaged

- 31 disposals (22 kicks)
- 5 marks
- 6 rebound 50's
- 4 inside 50's

Shows he loves the ball in his hands. We are desperate for a half back flanker who can find the ball atleast 20 times a game and use it well.

Darley has the using it well covered, I'm just not sure he has the confidence to leave his man when required to get more of the ball. Still early days though.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Where will we play him?

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Where will we play him?

Has to prove himself first as he hasn't played much senior football but the clubs website sees him as a rebounding defender.
We are probably hoping to quickly groom him to take over from Murphy although that won't be easy shoes to fill.

azabob
16-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Where will we play him?

He actually looks like he could push into the midfield - if his fitness is up to it.

He looks to create with the handball and loves to tackle and tackle hard.

Scorlibo
16-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Has a bit of toe and looks committed at the football

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7iyE3DoI90

Has a bit of Farren Ray about him! Not a bad thing.

stefoid
16-10-2014, 07:58 PM
floats the ball a bit by hand and foot. Didnt see many disposals under pressure in that vid.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2014, 08:20 PM
The guy from American Pie?

Sedat
16-10-2014, 08:25 PM
If you squint at the screen his name looks like Shane Birss

boydogs
16-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Ticks a few boxes - young, quick, good kick, can defend, type we are lacking. Seemed to lack game sense and composure, but he's only played 6 AFL games. Did well to pick him up cheaply too. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Ghost Dog
16-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Says on Wikipedia he was pick 12 in the 2012 Draft. Is this true?

1eyedog
16-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Has a bit of Farren Ray about him! Not a bad thing.

Yeah that's who I thought of when I first watched the vid - certainly a player-type we need. Looks comfortable overhead as well like Farren.

Go_Dogs
16-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Says on Wikipedia he was pick 12 in the 2012 Draft. Is this true?

Rookie draft.

I'm pretty confident he will slot in nicely to our side, sooner rather than later.

Dry Rot
16-10-2014, 10:16 PM
What did the Swans get from the Saints for Membrey?

bulldogtragic
16-10-2014, 10:17 PM
What did the Swans get from the Saints for Membrey?

Nothing, psd.

F'scary
16-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Biggs, Boyd, Boyd. Yes we have our Killer Bees. Every team wants to have this but few achieve it.

I can remember years ago talking to an enthusiastic Cats supporter. "With our forward line, we've got the Killer Bees!" He saw the look of puzzlement on my face and explained, "nearly every player in our forward line starts with B: Bews, Bairstow, Bruns...and (he scratched his head)..and Buddha Hocking..."

Dry Rot
16-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Nothing, psd.

Thanks.

IMO that's pretty lousy from the Saints.

divvydan
16-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks.

Reports were that Saints were interested in GWS' Frost as well for PSD and would've given a nominal trade to Sydney if Frost was going to get through to PSD. Once GWS/Melb trade was done, Saints had no reason to trade for Membrey so trade was called off.

Personally I prefer the nominal trade that we did with Sydney as it has the added benefit of allowing the player to get settled with the team straight away and start training earlier.

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Ticks a few boxes - young, quick, good kick, can defend, type we are lacking. Seemed to lack game sense and composure, but he's only played 6 AFL games. Did well to pick him up cheaply too. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I think that is a fair point. We wouldn't see him as a player that will come straight in and take a position but we can give him vastly more opportunities than he has been able to get at the Swans.

Twodogs
17-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Thanks.

Not surprising though. They are a lousy club. They took great delight bidding their first round for Ayce Cordy knowing we'd have to match it.

Doc26
17-10-2014, 12:49 AM

Pretty sure Biggs had the run with role on Griffen in our recent round 22 encounter with them. I recall him doing a pretty good lock down job on Griffen whilst getting a fair bit of the ball himself. This may have been what sparked our interest.

If anyone has this game recorded and can put themselves through the torment of watching the drubbing again it might provide a good insight into his capabilities. Unfortunately I've purged this game from history.

Remi Moses
17-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Few swans on BF pretty disappointed to see him go.
Looks to have good hands, and a bit of toe.
Interesting that he tagged Griffen late in the year!!

Remi Moses
17-10-2014, 01:42 AM
Pretty sure Biggs had the run with role on Griffen in our recent round 22 encounter with them. I recall him doing a pretty good lock down job on Griffen whilst getting a fair bit of the ball himself. This may have been what sparked our interest.

If anyone has this game recorded and can put themselves through the torment of watching the drubbing again it might provide a good insight into his capabilities. Unfortunately I've purged this game from history.
Don't worry fox will replay it 75 times

Bulldog4life
17-10-2014, 06:50 PM
It went right down to the wire, well into red time of the NAB AFL Trade Period, but amongst the flurry of last minute paperwork, Shane Biggs became a Bulldog.

Following Biggs’ career with interest in recent years, Bulldogs List Manager Jason McCartney had earmarked the Sydney rookie as someone that could add outside run and pace to the Bulldogs’ back half.

With less than 15 minutes to run in the trade period, McCartney got his man.

“Obviously it all happened pretty late in the trade period, I was a bit nervous there, but I’m very pleased to get something done and become a Bulldog,” Biggs told westernbulldogs.com.au from his Sydney home on Friday.

VIDEO: Watch List Manager Jason McCartney discuss new recruit Shane Biggs and the Club's Trade Period activities.

Taking the road less travelled to the big league, Biggs didn’t play TAC Cup football, rather started his push for the senior ranks from the Eastern Football League, before making his first senior appearance in the VFL for the Bendigo Bombers in 2011.

In 2012, Biggs was rookie drafted by the Swans, making his debut in round 23 of the following year against Hawthorn collecting 18 disposals.

He played a further two games that season, finals against Carlton and Fremantle, gathering 21 and 15 touches in respective matches.

While glandular fever delayed his start to 2014, impressive NEAFL form earned him a further three senior appearances in a Swans outfit that would ultimately play-off in the Grand Final.

Smart with ball in hand, with strong work ethic, Biggs has played both off half-back and through the midfield in his time in the harbour city.

“I’m hoping to bring a lot of run, high work rate, and I pride myself on my skills – using the ball well off half-back, ’ Biggs said.

Having to now pack up his home in Sydney, and with a brief holiday scheduled before reporting for pre-season training, Biggs is eager for the opportunity to play regularly in front of family and friends in Melbourne.

“I’ve loved my time in Sydney, putting myself out of my comfort zone, living away from home up, and giving me the chance to play AFL football,” Biggs said.

“But to get the chance to get back with my network of family in friends in Melbourne will mean I lot.

“I’m look forward to seeing more of them, and hopefully being able to play football in front of them more often.”

Biggs will also be reunited with some familiar faces when he arrives at Victoria University Whitten Oval, having played alongside Tom Campbell and Tory Dickson at the Bendigo Bombers, while Lin Jong was a teammate at local club Mulgrave.

Having watched a lot of football in his time north of the border, Biggs is eager to get to know his new teammates at the Kennel

“I watch a lot of footy, and the Bulldogs have got a great young group of players, with some very experienced senior leaders in there to.

“It’s an exciting young group of players to be a part of, and I’m looking forward to getting back down to Melbourne and getting started.”

Exclusive to westernbulldogs.com.au

ledge
17-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Hope he realises that the very experienced senior leaders are mostly gone.

ReLoad
17-10-2014, 08:09 PM

He is the new experienced leader ;)

Bulldog4life
17-10-2014, 08:11 PM

Boyd, Big Will, Murph & Morris are still there.

F'scary
17-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Could be a good pick up, we've had so many experienced players retire/traded/walked out and we are about to recruit 6 18yo's that even a player who has been in the system for a couple of years seems to add something. I'm tipping he comes ready to play Round 1 which is good news.

chef
18-10-2014, 09:05 AM

The experienced senior leaders are still there.

azabob
20-11-2014, 09:11 PM
A quick interview with Shange Biggs - off the club website.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-11-20/meet-shane-biggs

Jake Stringer is showing him around the club and Shane seems to get along with him. When asked he had a little laugh and mentioned Stringers sense of humour and laid back attitude is great.

My favourite part was when he was discussing his game - he mentioned his work rate and in particular hard running defensively and offensively.

If he runs both ways hard, he will be a good addition.

ratsmac
20-11-2014, 10:06 PM
A quick interview with Shange Biggs - off the club website.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-11-20/meet-shane-biggs

Jake Stringer is showing him around the club and Shane seems to get along with him. When asked he had a little laugh and mentioned Stringers sense of humour and laid back attitude is great.

My favourite part was when he was discussing his game - he mentioned his work rate and in particular hard running defensively and offensively.

If he runs both ways hard, he will be a good addition.

Well it sounds like he'll slot into Higgins vacant position quite nicely with a couple optional extras thrown in

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 01:31 AM
I like Jake Stringer...I like him alot.

jeemak
21-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Boyd, Big Will, Murph & Morris are still there.

Plus Picken, irrespective of how I feel about his prospects beyond the coming year he's still a leader.

Eastdog
21-11-2014, 01:49 AM
I like Jake Stringer...I like him alot.

Showed quite a bit up forward for us in 2014. Hoping for more progress in 2015.

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Showed quite a bit up forward for us in 2014. Hoping for more progress in 2015.

Yep progressed really well last year. I think Rooner is talking about his off field work, he has really been the face of our club of recent times, welcoming the recruits, radio interviews, etc, seems to me they are prepping him for the captaincy, Murph for one or two years then straight in with the Stringmeister!

Maddog37
21-11-2014, 09:54 AM
A lot of Luke Hodge and Big Jon Brown about Jake. Seems a natural leader.

1eyedog
21-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Agree with the above. He's a likable fellow, is starting to be more relaxed and speaking well in front of the camera and is already an absolute jet.

always right
21-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Alongside Murph....Jake has become the biggest spruiker for our club. So refreshing to see a player getting on the front foot and talking up his club when there are so many talking it down. Really liking the cut of his jib.

KT31
21-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Alongside Murph....Jake has become the biggest spruiker for our club. So refreshing to see a player getting on the front foot and talking up his club when there are so many talking it down. Really liking the cut of his jib.

Agree, it was great to hear when the Griff saga was unfolding that Jake went and seen Peter Gordon and said he was in for the long haul.
He is one player IMO who will stand up this season and thrive with the extra responsibility.
Others have been touted but he would have to be a chance for the captaincy in a couple of years.

LostDoggy
21-11-2014, 11:56 AM
One of the most pertinent memories I have of Jake, in his young career to date, was his interview on Fox Footy moments after being drafted. There was no nerves, no ums and ahs, just verbal swagger and confidence. You'd have thought he was 28 years old with 10 years of media training.

Mofra
21-11-2014, 12:10 PM
One of the most pertinent memories I have of Jake, in his young career to date, was his interview on Fox Footy moments after being drafted. There was no nerves, no ums and ahs, just verbal swagger and confidence. You'd have thought he was 28 years old with 10 years of media training.
I remember he was on the Footy Show, and when asked about his leg break he mentioned he "didn't quite carry on like you Gary".

Bucketloads of swagger

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2014, 01:17 PM
A lot of Luke Hodge and Big Jon Brown about Jake. Seems a natural leader.

Great call.

Subconsciously I've obviously noticed Stringer taking the reigns for the club in the last few months but now that it's been mentioned, he really has stepped up already as a somebody who is confident and able to attract attention from media, supporters and alike.

I think Stringer (and Bonti) have the capacity to be Bulldog legends in the form of Grant and Johnson in the way they conduct themselves both on and off the field. Big call I know and no pressure is intended, just an observation. As good as Griffen and Cooney were, neither were able to gain the affection that Jake and Marcus have been able to so far. Probably because Griffen was always very quiet and Cooney a bit of a joker.

bornadog
22-05-2015, 06:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFl4dj8WIAEvlk3.jpg:large

Debutes this Sunday - Good luck has been in pretty good form in the VFL

bornadog
22-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Getting him ready for next week to smash Griff

bornadog
22-05-2015, 06:13 PM
https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11063587_1014830561867900_7390504399251816224_n.jpg?oh=6fbd3 0c11dd1c28188475fb1d3ecac25&oe=560B0395

Number -24

Height - 187 cm

DOB - 05-08-1991

Weight -84 kg

Debut 2013

Games - Career 6

KT31
22-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Good luck to Shane, from all reports looks to be another good prospect .

F'scary
22-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Feeling really good about his selection. I reckon he will smash the Dees and be right up there in our best players.

Mofra
22-05-2015, 09:11 PM
He's performed at AFL level before. Bodes well for Sunday

Remi Moses
22-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Looked really decent last week .
Few Sydney fans on the other site were surprised they traded him.

ratsmac
23-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Good bowl Shane, oops I mean luck Shane.

Scorlibo
23-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Great jumper presentation from Steve Wallis here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-05-23/wallis-presents-biggs-guernsey)

LostDoggy
23-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Great jumper presentation from Steve Wallis here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-05-23/wallis-presents-biggs-guernsey)

What a great presentation from Stevo , makes you proud of the Club and proud to be a supporter
Hopefully I,ll see Stevo up in the Platinum Club and I,ll thank him personally

stefoid
23-05-2015, 05:43 PM
Wow, a lot of his highlights involved handballing to guys standing flatfooted. I guess they shouldnt have been faltfooted,but I wuldlike to see him draw the tackler a bit more than hot potato.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-05-2015, 07:53 PM
https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11063587_1014830561867900_7390504399251816224_n.jpg?oh=6fbd3 0c11dd1c28188475fb1d3ecac25&oe=560B0395

Number -24

Height - 187 cm

DOB - 05-08-1991

Weight -84 kg

Debut 2013

Games - Career 6

Looks like Scottie West!
Good luck Biggsie, hoping for 150 games from you and a couple of premierships.

Twodogs
24-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Looks like Scottie West!

He does look like Scooter. I hope he can get the ball 600 times a season

Twodogs
24-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Forget about Sydney, that wasn't a jumper for you. This is a jumper for you.

And I wonder where Wally got one of TCD's list of every player and every number for us since 1925?

ratsmac
24-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Looks like Scottie West!

I know yeah! I thought the same when watching his highlights from last week.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Poor first game, but gets Gryphon next week for memory sake.

boydogs
24-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Poor first game, but gets Gryphon next week for memory sake.

He seemed to have trouble adjusting to the pace of the game and the short amount of time you get to make a decision and dispose of the ball. Kicked without looking a few times. He was involved in the play a bit though so there is something to work with

whythelongface
17-08-2015, 06:57 AM
Since coming back into the team Biggs has been fantastic. Loving his run off half back and his ability to take the game on by using his pace and his great evasiveness. Wow with him Bob, JJ, Wood and Boyd creating havoc off the half back it is an absolute pleasure to watch.

ReLoad
17-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Agreed.

He makes a few mistakes with his disposal, but he works really hard at it afterwards, really composed and a great addition to the team, has been great for us and a very astute pickup considering Sydney's ancient backline.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Yep. He's jumped over Prudden, Darley & Webb and nailed down the spot at the moment. Not bad for a 10 game player. But I hope those other boys try to knock him off the spot because that means even more improvement.

ratsmac
17-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Agreed.

He makes a few mistakes with his disposal, but he works really hard at it afterwards, really composed and a great addition to the team, has been great for us and a very astute pickup considering Sydney's ancient backline.

It's puzzling that they let him go isn't. Especially losing malcheski. Same goes for Hamling. Geelong let him go and they are also will be in need for a tall defender with their ancient backline.
Kudos to our recruiter's!

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 09:03 AM
It's puzzling that they let him go isn't. Especially losing malcheski. Same goes for Hamling. Geelong let him go and they are also will be in need for a tall defender with their ancient backline.

Didn't both clubs want to rookie list them again? Seems Macca watched them closer than their coaches and judged them better.

craigsahibee
17-08-2015, 09:07 AM
He has had a good month, however I am still nervous when he has the ball in his hands. I like his attitude and willingness to work both ways and his run is a great "out" from defensive 50. Like Talia, if the forwards and mids work hard to get into space when he has the footy, it takes a bit of pressure off his need to "pin-point" his disposal of the footy, which in turn, helps with his disposal of the footy.

Sedat
17-08-2015, 09:20 AM
It's puzzling that they let him go isn't.
You can thank the Bondi Billionaires for this - players have been squeezed out to fit them into the salary cap.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 09:25 AM
You can thank the Bondi Billionaires for this - players have been squeezed out to fit them into the salary cap.

Yep. It's a shame for them one of the BB is more like Christopher Skase than Bill Gates. Tippett should get Majorka before fraud charges over millions are laid.

Twodogs
17-08-2015, 09:37 AM

The Billionaires have just realised how Donald ducked they are with those huge contracts and are now flailing about trying to deflect blame. Collis having a go at Fitzpatrick last week was comical. Look at your clubs actions before you go trying to deflect blame mr President.

If the AFL bail Sydney out if this tgat will be it for me. No more AFL.

Mofra
17-08-2015, 10:32 AM
He has had a good month, however I am still nervous when he has the ball in his hands.
I'm less so.
He rarely goes the safe option - in some cases he's too brave with his disposal - but his teammates certainly aren't scared to put the ball in his hands in tight situations. He'll be ok, we've found one here and he cost us nothing.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Great goal of his too. If he always kicks that straight he has a licence to roam forward.

bornadog
17-08-2015, 10:35 AM
I had my doubts on Biggs, but his last few weeks have been sensational.

Ozza
17-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Loved that he kicked his first goal. Enjoyed seeing the players get around him. Love seeing those showings of enjoying a team mates' successes.

Axe Man
17-08-2015, 05:09 PM
In addition to the observations above I have also enjoyed his ability to compete in the air against taller opponents. Reminds me a bit of Gilbee in the that regard. I was surprised to see him listed at 187cm, looks smaller on the field.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-08-2015, 05:42 PM
He's actually a very good distributor by foot - most players make a couple of errors by foot per game, but for the most part Biggs is able to hit both pressure kicks and open play kicks.

One thing players need to understand is that Biggs prefers the 20-35m pass, which means most of the time he requires his team mates to present to the ball and not lead backwards - one of his turnovers was due to a misunderstanding of this, think it may have been Jong, who was looking for it over the top whereas Biggs wanted him to present to the ball. As it was, Biggs ended up fixing the mistake by spoiling the Melbourne player a few moments later.

I'm impressed - he's a good player and very assured for a 12 gamer.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Yep. It's a shame for them one of the BB is more like Christopher Skase than Bill Gates. Tippett should get Majorka before fraud charges over millions are laid.

Love your posts BDtragic, keep em' comin.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2015, 05:51 PM
I love him because Sydney fans were disappointed to lose him. Suffer in yer' red and white jocks.

F'scary
17-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Biggs and Hunter have been major reasons for our current form. And they came out of nowhere, two players on fringe who have seized their opportunity and not only held their own but contributed significantly to an improved team performance. They both win a lot of possessions and both have been good with the distribution, helping in no small way to our current tag as the most attacking team in the comp.

LostDoggy
18-08-2015, 02:44 AM
I can understand why Swines let Biggs go, when you consider they have such dynamic young flankers as Rhys Shaw and Heath Grundy. :) :) :)

jeemak
18-08-2015, 03:22 AM
I can understand why Swines let Biggs go, when you consider they have such dynamic young flankers as Rhys Shaw and Heath Grundy. :) :) :)

You can smell the hubris over 800km's away.

Remi Moses
18-08-2015, 03:28 AM
Big surprise that Sydney let him go.
Gotta say the AFL created this situation by just throwing money Sydney's way, and the Sydney sporting type love their super heroes.
Hence why Big Buddy made his way there.
The tippet deal was really silly, as they've dumped a top ruck and got him in on to play the same role on double the wage

Mantis
18-08-2015, 10:48 AM
The Tippet deal was really silly, as they've dumped a top ruck and got him in on to play the same role on double the wage

Without the same output.. Strange move.

Anyway Biggs has been really impressive over the last month.. After his first game I thought we had a dud, but happy to eat those words.. Hopefully his improvement continues.

1eyedog
18-08-2015, 10:52 AM

Geelong simply misjudged Hamlings ability to play sooner rather than later and due to the longevity of Taylor and Lonergan never actually asked questions of him to the contrary.

He was squeezed out because he was seen, out of all their young talls, as the longest term prospect. Good for us and good for Hamling that we were able to get him, especially when you consider what Geelong initially gave up for him and how promising he was as a junior.

Rocket Science
18-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Geelong simply misjudged Hamlings ability to play sooner rather than later and due to the longevity of Taylor and Lonergan never actually asked questions of him to the contrary.

He was squeezed out because he was seen, out of all their young talls, as the longest term prospect. Good for us and good for Hamling that we were able to get him, especially when you consider what Geelong initially gave up for him and how promising he was as a junior.

Remarkable how quickly this bloke's become a vital member of our back six, after 7 games of footy no less.

Particularly admire his intelligence in the contest, seemingly little but influential things, smart positioning to play to his strengths, clever reads, spoils to advantage and awareness of who and what's around him. Love a brainy defender.

Back to Biggs...concur with others in that he looked an iffy prospect earlier this season, seemed to be battling even at VFL level.

Fast forward to August and he's yet another item off the production line that is our Footscray VFL nursery.

He's welcome to keep making a fool of me.

LostDoggy
18-08-2015, 07:24 PM
The Geelong Hamling trade was also quite odd given they recruited the much older Jared Rivers to play a similar role.

1eyedog
18-08-2015, 10:08 PM
The Geelong Hamling trade was also quite odd given they recruited the much older Jared Rivers to play a similar role.

Agreed, although in 2012 Geelong finished one game outside of top 2 and I think there's little doubt that Chris Scott thought that a Premiership was still within reach with a little tweaking. With that in mind Rivers looked a better prospect at the start of 2013 than a slow burning Hamling.

Dancin' Douggy
19-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Boy, the planets really are aligning aren't they, it's almost scary how everything seems to be working out. Hamling and Biggs, just walk in to the club for nothing and play like seasoned veterans. They both seem to have such composure. Cool under fire. Always seem to make the right decisions. Rarely beaten in one on ones. Link up beautifully with the rest of the backline. Wow. Just wow.

Mantis
19-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Agreed, although in 2012 Geelong finished one game outside of top 2 and I think there's little doubt that Chris Scott thought that a Premiership was still within reach with a little tweaking. With that in mind Rivers looked a better prospect at the start of 2013 than a slow burning Hamling.

But not to play Hamling in 3 years is pathetic list management.. If you don't give them a taste how can you see if they can play at the next level?

Ozza
19-08-2015, 12:41 PM
But not to play Hamling in 3 years is pathetic list management.. If you don't give them a taste how can you see if they can play at the next level?

I agree,

Geelong (and Hamling) have said that he couldn't get a game because Lonergan and Taylor didn't miss during the time that Hamling was pushing. Surely they could have played Hamling as a third tall a few times during that era.

I'm pretty happy that we've played 36 or 37 players or whatever it is this season. Traditionally that would mean that you're struggling - but we've actually found out a lot about the list, and been prepared to play blokes in varied positions in order to make sure players are getting opportunities. I wouldn't be surprised if Pearce played this week, after being the carry-over last week. Nothing would surprise me this year!

Ghost Dog
19-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Our selection committee must feel like a week is a really short time. It must be very difficult to pick our team every week.
Watched the footage of Biggs playing for Sydney and liked what I saw. With JJ and Murphy it's fun to watch our backline.

Sedat
19-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Yep, even Mulligan got a few games for us in 2011 to see if he was any good when we (belatedly) went into rebuild mode. Likewise, Ayce got a solid run of games in a row this year - got to give the player a chance to show their wares at senior level before putting a line through them.

Biggs' first game with us looks like an aberration in his career to date. The few games he played for the Swans, he was very serviceable (in finals too no less), he excelled at VFL for us this year, and his return to the seniors has seen this form continue at the higher level. His debut for us against Melbourne now just looks like nerves and re-adjusting to the tempo of AFL level, which to be fair he hadn't played in for a couple of years.

Obviously his run and carry are standouts, but he also acquits himself well defensively in one-on-one contests and also runs hard to cover defensively for teammates.

Mofra
19-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Geelong (and Hamling) have said that he couldn't get a game because Lonergan and Taylor didn't miss during the time that Hamling was pushing. Surely they could have played Hamling as a third tall a few times during that era.
Mackie missed games though? A developing Hamling isn't too dissimilar.

the most comparable player on our list is Zaine Cordy - I'll bet anything that if fit he'll debut some time in 2015, 16 or 17.

Mofra
19-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Obviously his run and carry are standouts, but he also acquits himself well defensively in one-on-one contests and also runs hard to cover defensively for teammates.
He does seem to cover taller players quite well, and is fairly brave in his disposal. Murph had no problem dishing off to him when he ran and rebounded.

F'scary
19-08-2015, 01:46 PM
Boy, the planets really are aligning aren't they, it's almost scary how everything seems to be working out. Hamling and Biggs, just walk in to the club for nothing and play like seasoned veterans. They both seem to have such composure. Cool under fire. Always seem to make the right decisions. Rarely beaten in one on ones. Link up beautifully with the rest of the backline. Wow. Just wow.

It seems that both clubs let go of players in the season just when they were about to come into their own in the senior team. Gives one pause for thought before delisting players who may have got a bit of VFL experience under their belt but haven't been able to cement a spot in the senior team yet.

bornadog
10-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Has only played 15 games of AFL but played in two finals for the Swans.

Sedat
10-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Has only played 15 games of AFL but played in two finals for the Swans.
Like Tim Callan, but better ;)

Greystache
10-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Like Tim Callan, but better ;)

Needs to go to ground more. Timmy really needed to the boot studder to attach studs to the back of his Guernsey :D

Hotdog60
06-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Biggs deal for the Western Bulldogs

A ROLL of the dice five years ago has paid off for Western Bulldogs' defender Shane Biggs, who has committed to the club for a further two years, extending his stay until at least the end of 2018.

Back in 2011, Biggs, now 24, was playing football for fun with Warrandyte and learning the plumbing trade before an invitation came to play VFL for the Bendigo Bombers.

"I had to make a decision whether I was going to take it [football] seriously or not," Biggs told AFL.com.au.

"I stopped my apprenticeship and just laboured three days a week so I could manage the training for three or four nights a week.

"It was a real roll of the dice."

Now at the Western Bulldogs after three years with the Sydney Swans, the running defender is making the punt yield dividends.

In the first two rounds, he has averaged 29 disposals, making a breakneck start to the season after becoming a permanent member of his new team in the second half of 2015.

It's the type of output the Bulldogs hoped for when they watched him ply his trade, often on cold Saturday mornings in Canberra, as a rookie with the Sydney Swans.

From 2012-2014 he played good football in the NEAFL, breaking through for six games (including two finals) in three years with the Swans.

It was enough for the Bulldogs to court him at the end of the 2014 season.

Although he had loved his time at the Swans, he knew as soon as he met the Bulldogs it was time for a change.

"For a club to show interest in me, and show interest in having me in their team, was enough to bring me back home," Biggs told AFL.com.au.

Right now, the Bulldogs-Biggs combination appears a good match. MORE HERE
(http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-06/biggs-deal-for-the-bulldogs-as-defender-signs-on-for-two-more-years)

bulldogtragic
06-04-2016, 09:53 PM
How can we keep resigning talent with Tom Boyd stealing the other players money?

Great news.

bornadog
06-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Good News again, keep them coming Jmacc

bornadog
06-04-2016, 11:11 PM
What I like about Bevo:

"No one is a walk up start in this team, he's a lot more secure than he used to be," Beveridge said of Biggs on Tuesday.

bulldogtragic
06-04-2016, 11:32 PM
Leaving Declan Hamilton aside as he's too young to judge, Biggs alone is worth the Cooney trade.

Biggs & Hamilton - Cooney
Daniel - Liam Jones
Hamling - Tutt
Webb - Disinterested Higgins
Tom Boyd - Grphyon after he walked out already

I'd argue we have turned the disaster into a glorious success.

Greystache
06-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Good news.

2 years ago I didn't know how we were going to replace Murphy when he retired. We Now have JJ, Biggs, and Wood all in the scope to be All Australian half back flankers. An incredible turnaround.

bulldogtragic
06-04-2016, 11:44 PM
Good news.

2 years ago I didn't know how we were going to replace Murphy when he retired. We Now have JJ, Biggs, and Wood all in the scope to be All Australian half back flankers. An incredible turnaround.

Incredible turnaround for our defence is an understatement. Also, how were we replacing losing Lake, Morris when he retires and if Roughead failed as a defender? Were we sticking with Austins & Markovics? Now Adams is in the top 22 for AFL rankings, Collins looks a dead set beast, Hamling won best first year player and isn't playing. Leaving Zaine to slowly develop too.

We need to sign Macca and Dalrymple to long term contracts/extensions.

Ghost Dog
07-04-2016, 01:41 AM
Leaving Declan Hamilton aside as he's too young to judge, Biggs alone is worth the Cooney trade.

Biggs & Hamilton - Cooney
Daniel - Liam Jones
Hamling - Tutt
Webb - Disinterested Higgins
Tom Boyd - Grphyon after he walked out already

I'd argue we have turned the disaster into a glorious success.

Did we get Caleb Daniel for Liam Jones? Ho-Ho... Sale of the Century.
Biggs is a great Murphy understudy, light on body but agile, and tough.
Having such a young bloke with finals experience is different. He's been in a good program, with their excellent culture. They seem like a very hard nosed club, and have their 'Bloods' mantra. Biggs has rubbed shoulders with Goodes, Hannebury, Kennedy, and a lot of excellent workers. A lot of respect for them.

"Few footballers are playing division-three suburban football aged 19, and AFL at 22."

''I didn't know Shane Biggs from a bar of soap, and he weighed about five stone wringing wet, but every time he got the ball he did something with it,''

Essendon had their chance!

"Robert White still hadn't met Biggs, but was soon sitting alongside him in a Windy Hill office. Dodoro said they'd keep an eye on him, then pointed to a pile of DVDs in envelopes and asked Biggs if he realised how many wannabes were out there."

"Before they had a chance to find out, the Swans rookie drafted him."

ratsmac
07-04-2016, 09:19 AM
I am very happy with this signing. We are a better team when he plays. He plays his role very well and his mistakes are getting less and less. After his first couple games he was a bit under whelming to say the least but the second half of last season his improvement was massive. He is one that will fly under the radar most weeks with his work around the ground and he hurts the opposition with work rate and endurance. Like Bevo said in a recent presser he is firmly slotting into the best 22 at present.

Again well one to the club and especially JMac for securing another important player to our team.

Mantis
07-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Good story.

Seems content on where he is placed and is developing into a very valuable member of the team.. Love how he gets the ball quickly to foot and takes risks with his kicking.. Sure he *!*!*!*!s a few up, but he opens up the field more often than not.. His ability to stay involved and run hard to create an option is also under valued.

merantau
13-04-2016, 10:19 PM
I'm a fan. Biggs is a goer. Hard at it, loves a goal, a real energizer.

1eyedog
14-04-2016, 12:33 AM
Good story.

Seems content on where he is placed and is developing into a very valuable member of the team.. Love how he gets the ball quickly to foot and takes risks with his kicking.. Sure he *!*!*!*!s a few up, but he opens up the field more often than not.. His ability to stay involved and run hard to create an option is also under valued.

Its his greatest asset in my opinion. He gets to the right spots at the right time and can be really damaging when its forward of centre.

comrade
14-04-2016, 12:42 AM
Good story.

Certainly has come a long way since his first game in that stinker against Melbourne last year :D

Sedat
14-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Certainly has come a long way since his first game in that stinker against Melbourne last year :D
From memory that was his first AFL game for over 2 years so it's no surprise he was rusty after such a long spell.

Axe Man
14-04-2016, 12:04 PM
From memory that was his first AFL game for over 2 years so it's no surprise he was rusty after such a long spell.

Nah, he played the last 3 rounds of the home and away season for Sydney in 2014 and debuted for us in round 7 2015. It was just his 7th game though.

bornadog
14-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Nah, he played the last 3 rounds of the home and away season for Sydney in 2014 and debuted for us in round 7 2015. It was just his 7th game though.

One against us and tagged Griff out of the game.

KT31
14-04-2016, 12:32 PM
One against us and tagged Griff out of the game.

Imagine the game where our recruiters thought they could develop him into more than just the bit part player he was at Sydney.

Sedat
14-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Forgot about those 3 games, thanks for reminding.

bornadog
14-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Forgot about those 3 games, thanks for reminding.

The three you are thinking of in 2013 includes a semi final (21 disposals) and Prelim (15).

Twodogs
14-04-2016, 12:58 PM
The three you are thinking of in 2013 includes a semi final (21 disposals) and Prelim (15).

So he was at Sydney in 2014 and didn't play a game?

bornadog
14-04-2016, 01:08 PM

So he was at Sydney in 2014 and didn't play a game?

see above

Stats

Career Season Totals

Year
Team
Games
Kicks
Handballs
Disposals
Marks
Goals
Behinds
Tackles
Hitouts
Frees For
Frees Ag.
Brownlow

Western Bulldogs (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_home?tid=8)

Western Bulldogs (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_home?tid=8)

Sydney (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_home?tid=17)

Sydney (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_home?tid=17)

Career

Twodogs
14-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Is it possible that he played the last three games in both 2013 and 2014?

bornadog
14-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Is it possible that he played the last three games in both 2013 and 2014?

Yes he did

whythelongface
14-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Has been playing very well this year, but now with Bob's injury his importance to our backline, particularly creatively, has just increased twofold.

always right
14-04-2016, 02:59 PM
With Murph's injury he stops going under the radar and becomes a Murphy replacement of sorts. He is likely to get more attention now whereas previously teams have focused on shutting down Murph and JJ which allowed Biggs to slip under their guard.

Big test for him.

GVGjr
12-06-2016, 07:17 PM
I've been very impressed with his performances this year after initially thinking he might just be outside of our best 22.

Is there any chance we are underrating him? I thought he was great yesterday

Twodogs
12-06-2016, 07:58 PM
He's been really good for a month now. Playing consistent high standard footy. He's really stepped up since Murphy and more particularly JJ have been out.

Bulldog4life
12-06-2016, 08:36 PM
His bullet like passes to big Jack were a highlight.

The bulldog tragician
12-06-2016, 08:41 PM
It used to be that there were one or two bloopers from each match but he's become incredibly reliable and plays his role in that defensive unit to perfection. Fine game on weekend, a really good pickup.

GVGjr
12-06-2016, 08:41 PM
His bullet like passes to big Jack were a highlight.

Plus he sneaked in for a good goal himself

Pickenitup
12-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Playing great footy biggsy was class yesterday

azabob
12-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Biggs has impressed me immensely the last month.

Pre Season I thought he was outside best 22 and when Murphy and JJ went down he struggled being the number 1 attacking defender. I actually thought he was lucky not to be dropped.

I am genuinely happy and impressed that he has prooven me wrong and has worked his backside off to cement his spot in our best 22.

merantau
12-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Thumbs up to all the above. Good attacking backman who has grown in confidence. I thought he was really good in the clinches and I like the way he takes the game on when the opportunity arises.

whythelongface
12-06-2016, 10:42 PM
When he played his first couple of games with us he was a bit like a deer in headlights, but he has come on in leaps and bounds. He has really stepped up to the mark as an attacking weapon (particularly since the injuries to Murph and JJ) and is very creative. His kicking has also improved and he can nail a pass to a leading target, as was evidenced yesterday.

Even with the likes of JJ and Murph in the team he would be easily best 22.

I love these types of recruits that are average players (or more to the point not given the opportunity) at other clubs and excel at their new club. Sydney have a number of those glad that we have a few in Biggsy and Stevens.

ratsmac
12-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Biggsy was like when you finding a bargain in the specials bin. You love it more when you got it cheap.

boydogs
13-06-2016, 01:26 AM
He's mastered the art of chopping off a lead, backing back into a dangerous forward going for a mark and shepherding them out of it

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-06-2016, 10:03 AM
His coming to the club is precisely the sort of astute recruiting that rounds off an effective list management process. Our recruiting team has nailed its drafting (national, rookie and pre-season), free agency, and trading in recent years.

Go_Dogs
13-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Love Biggsy, become a very reliable player in a short space of time and is the poster boy for not writing a player off after a few games.

Comfortably in our best 22 and will be for a long time.

Ghost Dog
13-06-2016, 12:23 PM
Spent some time forward which was good to see. I think he spent some of his junior career as a forward. Would be great to see Bailey Williams and him roaming the forward line to see what they could do.
I wonder if Essendon still have his highlights package CD somewhere. Oh Essendon.....missed out again.

anfo27
13-06-2016, 01:08 PM
We've missed Ronnies attacking drive from half back with Murphy, JJ & Suckling out but since Suckling has been back that part of his game is coming back. Under rated and a very important player for us.

ledge
13-06-2016, 01:38 PM
It's amazing the media haven't picked up on Biggs . Heard Bartlett this morning giving a big wrap for Daniels and his great poise on both feet in so much traffic.. I call Daniels "the candy man" seems to sell candy to everyone no matter how many around him.
Biggs doesn't so much sell it he stays in a straight line and no one seems to tackle him.

Bulldog4life
13-06-2016, 04:19 PM
It's amazing the media haven't picked up on Biggs . Heard Bartlett this morning giving a big wrap for Daniels and his great poise on both feet in so much traffic.. I call Daniels "the candy man" seems to sell candy to everyone no matter how many around him.
Biggs doesn't so much sell it he stays in a straight line and no one seems to tackle him.

Was that on SEN? If so it was Blake from the Age.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-06-2016, 01:22 AM
Biggs doesn't seem to really get found out one on one either, which is a little surprising given he's an attacking player who isn't overly aggressive. He positions himself pretty well though and does seem to use his body well. I was worried after his first game v Melbourne last year, but he looks very comfortable out there now and only becomes 10x more damaging with our full side in.

Great selection.

Dry Rot
14-06-2016, 01:48 AM
IIRC the Swans didn't want to lose him. Played finals for them.

He's the one that got away - the Swans don't lose too many good ones.

Loves counter attacking. He like Suckling has found his true home.

bornadog
10-07-2016, 12:48 PM
I like Shane, I think we picked up a bargain and he does some tremendous things, like the bullet pass to Stringer to put us in front in the last. However, I wish he never ever passes the ball less than 10 metres, as he is a shocker and has cost us many goals.

Why can't players execute these short passes?

GVGjr
10-07-2016, 12:54 PM
I like Shane, I think we picked up a bargain and he does some tremendous things, like the bullet pass to Stringer to put us in front in the last. However, I wish he never ever passes the ball less than 10 metres, as he is a shocker and has cost us many goals.

I think he had 3 poor skill execution efforts last night but he did some other things very well.

It seems a lot of players have trouble with finessing their kicks. Suckling, for example, who is noted as having a great kick and he demonstrated many times that can kick it a mile but his dinky kicks can be pretty poor at times.

hujsh
10-07-2016, 01:20 PM
I think he had 3 poor skill execution efforts last night but he did some other things very well.

It seems a lot of players have trouble with finessing their kicks. Suckling, for example, who is noted as having a great kick and he demonstrated many times that can kick it a mile but his dinky kicks can be pretty poor at times.

His action is made for launching the ball into outer space so it's not surprising the short ones give him trouble

ledge
10-07-2016, 02:13 PM
These players who launch the ball like Suckling have trouble with short passes because they stab at it to make it go faster , like a bullet , you only have to be a Nano second out and it will miss, also it's hard to allow for what distance and height when a player leads up to you at speed and you kick like a dart.
Look at Daniels he is a great short kick he hits it soft and the receiver runs into it.
Not sure you can teach that to players who are employed for long accurate passing and have been that way all their career.
Macrae and bontempelli are also great at softly placing the ball short and making the reciever run to it.

Twodogs
10-07-2016, 02:14 PM

Spoiled for choice I think. If they would just go with their first idea things would turn out a lot better, instead of of getting halfway through a kick and then thinking "hang on I have a better option" and trying to change direction at the last moment and shanking the ball.

ledge
10-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Spoiled for choice I think. If they would just go with their first idea things would turn out a lot better, instead of of getting halfway through a kick and then thinking "hang on I have a better option" and trying to change direction at the last moment and shanking the ball.
Suckling and Macrae look like they do it all the time but I think it's just their kicking action, our main players guilty of it are Stringer and Hunter.
In saying that I think Stringer is given a little leeway to others to try and take it on, so he has options but try's to suck his opponent into ThinKing he will pass it off but doesn't. Causes him to get caught at times ..

GVGjr
24-10-2016, 03:40 PM
What a 2016 season Biggs had. One of the forgotten men this year who played every game in a back line that was losing players most weeks. He even sneaked forward for 4 goals. He occasionally turns the ball over but for an attacking and rebounding defender that's not too bad. He even plays on a variety of opponents as well.

I thought he was one of the unsung players for us.

I was looking at our likely starting line-up for round 1 and with Murphy and Adams coming back positions in the back line will be hard to hold but I just can't see how we could leave Biggs out based on his form this year.

How do you rate him? Is he an automatic selection or will he struggle to hold a senior spot in 2017?

Bulldog Joe
24-10-2016, 04:01 PM
Very difficult to rate as he just gets the job done. Felt he may have been under pressure to hold his spot a few times, but he kept delivering in important plays.

Plenty of competition for his spot in 2017, with Suckling and Bailey Williams as well as Murphy available. One thing that does set him apart is his ability to defend taller opponents.

bornadog
24-10-2016, 04:09 PM
Underrated by many supporters, Biggs is best 22 and will hold his spot. That effort in the GF, where he kept locking the ball in our forward pocket with multiple efforts and resulting in a sealing goal was how he attacks the ball. Yes he makes one or two mistakes, but who doesn't.

bulldogtragic
24-10-2016, 04:15 PM
I'd like to see him play down back. I think he's a better one on one defender than Suckling, and I'd also like to see Suckling play in a more attacking role further up the field. One of our good goal scoring sources on the finals was our forwards pushing up the ground and then running hard back to goal. Crameri & Cloke would be great at this too. Suckling off a wing would be a weapon of clearing the defenders with long, accurate pin point passes.

Also I'd suspect Bob & Boyd will retire by the end of next year, and another year playing in the 'deep end' will continue his development and experience to possibly be Boyd's long term replacement. So I'd like to see him a lot next year.

His play late in the GF where he 4-5 repeat efforts through blocking, smothering, tackling, possession was just an amazing play. That play typified a manic, strong, repeat effort and consistent footballer that makes our team special. That footage should be played by the match committee early next year with a message, 'if you can't or won't do this, you won't be selected'.

Rocket Science
24-10-2016, 04:19 PM
Tend to see him as an understudy of sorts to half-back-era Matty Boyd.

Has his erratic moments but they're usually sins of commission rather than omission which would endear him to the coach I suspect.

Competes very well on a variety of opponents, good urgency, constructive user and not afraid to go when it's his turn. Nary a game went by last season where I didn't catch myself pausing to think 'jeez Biggs was good/smart/hard in that passage of play then', as if it was always a some kind of surprise, until it wasn't a surprise.

Still has some rough edges to smooth but slots well into Bevo's system and unless one of the kids (Williams, Webb, R.Smith) improves sufficiently to dislodge him, Biggs is best-22 for mine.

AND cost us nothing!

I'm a fan.

LostDoggy
24-10-2016, 04:45 PM
I'd like to see him play down back. I think he's a better one on one defender than Suckling, and I'd also like to see Suckling play in a more attacking role further up the field'.

Totally agree. I love the way Biggs goes about it, and he typified the Dogs in the Grand Final... didn't give up and kept it moving forward. Sure there are times he coughs it up, but that's the nature of our game plan.

Ozza
24-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Loved the season of the 'train robber'.

When we had Murphy in the team in the first few weeks, he was more off the chain and racked up huge numbers. Once Murphy was out Biggs became super reliable, provided great run - and can play a little taller than his 187cms. He has been a really great pick up.

mattempo
24-10-2016, 06:14 PM
It also can't be underestimated how cool he is. Libba and Biggs are far too cool to not be best 22.

Greystache
24-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Underrated by many supporters, Biggs is best 22 and will hold his spot. That effort in the GF, where he kept locking the ball in our forward pocket with multiple efforts and resulting in a sealing goal was how he attacks the ball. Yes he makes one or two mistakes, but who doesn't.

That effort was brilliant. You could summarize our whole season in that one passage of play. It wasn't elegant, it wasn't by a high profile player, it was pure effort, and it somehow resulted in a match winning goal.

azabob
24-10-2016, 08:26 PM
It also can't be underestimated how cool he is. Libba and Biggs are far too cool to not be best 22.

With that Mo and his sunglasses he looks like he should be a 70's porn starr.

jazzadogs
24-10-2016, 11:03 PM
Biggs was super this year. One of my favourite trivia questions in the lead up to the Grand Final (which we won) was 'name the four players who played every game this year'? Nobody got Biggs within their first 5 guesses.

SPOILER:

Biggs, Bont, Hunter, Picken.
Roughead only missed one match.

boydogs
24-10-2016, 11:33 PM
Biggs played Murphy's role, running around the back for the handball to help relieve the pressure and rebound the ball out of defense. He's quick, attacking and reasonably clean. He's also good in the air, which makes him flexible in terms of his opponent. He's probably bottom 6 of our best 18 in overall quality but plays an important role

LostDoggy
24-10-2016, 11:46 PM

That effort was something special and on that alone makes him easily best 22.

KT31
25-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Totally agree. I love the way Biggs goes about it, and he typified the Dogs in the Grand Final... didn't give up and kept it moving forward. Sure there are times he coughs it up, but that's the nature of our game plan.

Some of his efforts and endeavour to win the ball in the last quarter are brilliant.

SlimPickens
25-10-2016, 08:54 AM

Those efforts were one of my favourite highlights of the game. Much like a goal you kick for 50m becomes a 60, 70, 80m bomb over time, I reckon Biggsy is up to around 8-9 efforts at this stage when it was in fact 5, expect it to get to the mid teens come Christmas. :)

Sedat
25-10-2016, 01:49 PM
That effort was brilliant. You could summarize our whole season in that one passage of play. It wasn't elegant, it wasn't by a high profile player, it was pure effort, and it somehow resulted in a match winning goal.
Can't separate this goal or the Caleb Daniel goal just before 3/4 time in the PF for favourite goal of the season, and both were classic examples of our willingness to keep the ball in perpetual motion through sheer effort to open up a potential goal scoring opportunity. Other teams would be content to force a stoppage and reload under such circumstances.

Biggs torches it a few times but he is a risk-taker with his disposal into the corridor to open up the options further up for ground for us - the rewards have most certainly outweighed the risks over the course of the season. He's also a solid one-on-one defender when needed - what a fantastic pick-up.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Can't separate this goal or the Caleb Daniel goal just before 3/4 time in the PF for favourite goal of the season, and both were classic examples of our willingness to keep the ball in perpetual motion through sheer effort to open up a potential goal scoring opportunity. Other teams would be content to force a stoppage and reload under such circumstances.

Biggs torches it a few times but he is a risk-taker with his disposal into the corridor to open up the options further up for ground for us - the rewards have most certainly outweighed the risks over the course of the season. He's also a solid one-on-one defender when needed - what a fantastic pick-up.

Smith smashes Gryphone, whose then left lying on the ground looking up as a crucial goal goes through because he didn't go hard enough. The personal angle of this goal makes it a tad more satisfying.

Mofra
25-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Smith's hit on Griffen just made it a little sweeter, but surely Tom Boyd's 927m 3rd goal to virtually seal the game after Morris' tackle on Buddy is leading the charge.

Can't believe we nabbed Biggs for a two spot downgrade of a mid 30s pick, Swans fans I know didn't want to lose him.

Ozza
25-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Smith smashes Gryphone, whose then left lying on the ground looking up as a crucial goal goes through because he didn't go hard enough. The personal angle of this goal makes it a tad more satisfying.

Not sure Griffen could have gone harder, even throws a second effort at the loose ball....but agree that part of the beauty is that he was involved in the finale of the amazing end to end play.

Topdog
25-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Not sure Griffen could have gone harder, even throws a second effort at the loose ball....but agree that part of the beauty is that he was involved in the finale of the amazing end to end play.

below the knee rules rule really showing in that goal. Previously a player would have dived on it. Neither Smith nor Griff did and Smith was just stronger.

merantau
26-10-2016, 08:53 AM

It was my favourite passage of play and Biggsie was centre stage with his manic endeavour. Players from both teams were really slugging it out like heavyweights in the last round of a title fight and finally Liam Picken lands the telling blow. Biggsie's efforts will become Bulldog folklore (as has been pointed out) and deservedly so.

1eyedog
26-10-2016, 10:18 AM
It was my favourite passage of play and Biggsie was centre stage with his manic endeavour. Players from both teams were really slugging it out like heavyweights in the last round of a title fight and finally Liam Picken lands the telling blow. Biggsie's efforts will become Bulldog folklore (as has been pointed out) and deservedly so.

Biggsy wearing I love Shane Biggs badge at the family day after the Granny won me over more than any on-field act.

jeemak
26-10-2016, 10:27 AM
With that Mo and his sunglasses he looks like he should be a 70's porn starr.

Why just the 70's?

jeemak
26-10-2016, 10:33 AM

below the knee rules rule really showing in that goal. Previously a player would have dived on it. Neither Smith nor Griff did and Smith was just stronger.

Thought it was an excellent contest from both players. Smith was just a bit more of a bull.

Biggs is just one of those solid contributors who has great attributes that shine from time to time.

Twodogs
27-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Biggs was super this year. One of my favourite trivia questions in the lead up to the Grand Final (which we won) was 'name the four players who played every game this year'? Nobody got Biggs within their first 5 guesses.

SPOILER:

Biggs, Bont, Hunter, Picken.
Roughead only missed one match.

There can't be too many players to have played more than 26 games in a season, maybe North in 1977 with the drawn GF may have played 27. Hawthorn played 26 games last year.

Those efforts were one of my favourite highlights of the game. Much like a goal you kick for 50m becomes a 60, 70, 80m bomb over time, I reckon Biggsy is up to around 8-9 efforts at this stage when it was in fact 5, expect it to get to the mid teens come Christmas. :)

Actually thought it was four efforts. Tom Boyd's goal is out to nearly 90 metres and has the ball flipping the bird at the Swans defender diving at it as it rolls through.

It's lovely isn't it?

Why just the 70's?

The 70s were the artistic high point of the genre. Also the hairiest.

jeemak
28-10-2016, 12:30 AM
I'd have said the porn/Biggs mo transcends the prejudice of decade classification, but you and I have too much water under the bridge to dwell on such issues TD.

Rocket Science
07-06-2017, 08:53 PM
If you're not following Biggsy's Instagram account you may care to question what you're doing with your life ...

https://www.instagram.com/shanebiggs/

In fine fettle tonight.

Twodogs
07-06-2017, 08:59 PM
If you're not following Biggsy's Instagram account you may care to question what you're doing with your life ...

In fine fettle tonight.

Thank god he has so much time on his hands.

But there's something about Boydy they don't know ho.

bornadog
07-06-2017, 09:44 PM

In fine fettle tonight.

His photoshop skills are almost as good as yours

ratsmac
07-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Yeah Biggsy is a different cat alright. His Insta is gold.

Happy Days
07-06-2017, 10:49 PM
It's been in my signature the whole time! The guy just gets it.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2017, 10:54 PM
It's been in my signature the whole time! The guy just gets it.

I noticed that a while back. What happened to Brodie Moles?

AndrewP6
07-06-2017, 11:14 PM

Still on Twitter - well, in his own stratosphere, but technically on Twitter. One weird unit.*EDIT* - he's "back" on Twitter after some absence. I dread to think where he's been.

Happy Days
08-06-2017, 12:27 AM

He kind of cooked it too much for me to endorse anymore. Plus I'm pretty sure he deleted his account (I imagine screenshots of your semi-abusive fully-disgusting Tinder messages aren't super conducive to getting a job in the real world).

jeemak
08-06-2017, 03:26 AM
He kind of cooked it too much for me to endorse anymore. Plus I'm pretty sure he deleted his account (I imagine screenshots of your semi-abusive fully-disgusting Tinder messages aren't super conducive to getting a job in the real world).

The difference between punching through a glass ceiling and falling through a metaphorical version of the same..........

LostDoggy
08-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Biggs loves playing Sydney. Lock him in for B.O.G

The Pie Man
08-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Had to laugh when Biggs was interviewed on the AFL website and quizzed about his Instagram.

'You can see that can you?' (shuffles uncomfortably)

The Alien one with JJ's head made him look like Kanye.

Axe Man
08-06-2017, 05:33 PM
Didn't know where to put this, Jack and Jake having some social media fun...
https://s15.postimg.org/6xb3h5uaz/Capture.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/za6l7mg13/)

Rocket Science
16-08-2017, 07:55 PM
https://image.ibb.co/b52gCF/biggsy.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Zing.