PDA

View Full Version : DFA.....any interest?

chef
16-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Now who thought I was talking about Dylan. Gotcha.

Any delisted free agents kicking around that might be of interest to the club?

Harper from North may be if he's out of contract.

F'scary
16-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Shaun McKernan has been delisted by the Crows. Give him a go at CHF now that Jones has bailed?

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Problem is they take up a primary spot. They've got to be fit and ready to go. Delistings in the next week or so now the trade period is over will give a better indication.

Of those already delisted i think they only really meet rookie criteria for us.

soupman
16-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Shaun McKernan has been delisted by the Crows. Give him a go at CHF now that Jones has bailed?

There's a very good reason he has been cut. If we are going to look at a DFA, we should look at ones that have been squeezed out by clubs being forced to make 3 list changes, not from clubs that have a heap of deadweight.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Petrenko? Would be competing for a small forward spot with a few others, but I was fairly shocked to see him delisted.

Eze Dog
16-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Now who thought I was talking about Dylan. Gotcha.

Any delisted free agents kicking around that might be of interest to the club?

Harper from North may be if he's out of contract.

It doesn't look like it will be Harper unfortunately, I liked the look of the kid but he's contracted until the end of 2015.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-05-07/contracted-harper-seeks-guidance

bulldogtragic
16-10-2014, 08:22 PM
It doesn't look like it will be Harper unfortunately, I liked the look of the kid but he's contracted until the end of 2015.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-05-07/contracted-harper-seeks-guidance

McKernan for depth in the ruck is as good a pick 100 as anyone else this year.

F'scary
16-10-2014, 08:32 PM
McKernan is 24 196cm 99kg, 34 games. Tagged with being inconsistent (like Jones) as his biggest shortcoming. Interestingly, he sought to be traded back to Victoria at the end of 2013, trade couldn't be found, so he stayed in 2014. Would explain his lack of games in 2014 as that would put him on the back shelf with the selectors. He has suffered a broken arm that sidelined him for around a season in 2010, missed about 10 weeks with facial fractures in the second half of 2012. Could do for the vacant CHF role next season. Possible second ruck, he is said to be very mobile for his size.

lemmon
16-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Taylor Hunt is the only one I'd have any interest in, has shown he can be a solid contributor in patches and I think with Coons and Griff out we lack a hard body or two in the middle. A big fat no to Shaun Mckernan, a rolled gold spud. We could find far better out of the state leagues no doubt in my mind.

F'scary
16-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Taylor Hunt is the only one I'd have any interest in, has shown he can be a solid contributor in patches and I think with Coons and Griff out we lack a hard body or two in the middle. A big fat no to Shaun Mckernan, a rolled gold spud. We could find far better out of the state leagues no doubt in my mind.

So you're not for recruiting McKernan?:D

lemmon
16-10-2014, 09:14 PM
So you're not for recruiting McKernan?:D

The only time he's ever shown even a modicum of ability is in the ruck and even then he was nothing but passable, at 196cm he isn't a ruckman in this day and age. When played forward he hasn't been able to get near the footy. He isn't especially strong, nor athletic, nor does he do anything much good with ball in hand. The bloke has only ever been just okay at SANFL level (including a 3 disposal game early this year against West Adelaide) and has done significantly little improving. The only benefit he'd add to our list is to take some flak away from Cordy as the project tall on the list.

F'scary
16-10-2014, 09:22 PM
The only time he's ever shown even a modicum of ability is in the ruck and even then he was nothing but passable, at 196cm he isn't a ruckman in this day and age. When played forward he hasn't been able to get near the footy. He isn't especially strong, nor athletic, nor does he do anything much good with ball in hand. The bloke has only ever been just okay at SANFL level (including a 3 disposal game early this year against West Adelaide) and has done significantly little improving. The only benefit he'd add to our list is to take some flak away from Cordy as the project tall on the list.

Well, that is a pretty comprehensive trashing of the McKernan suggestion. Next...:)

Hot_Doggies
16-10-2014, 09:40 PM

I like Taylor Hunt. He would make a good back pocket- hard, quick, disciplined.

Bulldog Revolution
16-10-2014, 11:12 PM
I'd be happy to give Harper a go - has shown some attributes but had a very lean two years

chef
17-10-2014, 05:05 PM
So is Harper a DFA or not?

Seems a few media reports suggest he is.

LostDoggy
17-10-2014, 05:12 PM
I don't think he's been delisted as yet so he can't be.

Bulldog4life
17-10-2014, 05:49 PM

No he is not. Contracted to North in 2015

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 05:52 PM

I have read he has a contract in fact he has to be paid out by the Roos to become a FA. The Kangas are apparently at their cap limit so I'm not sure if they can pay him out.

soupman
17-10-2014, 06:00 PM
I have read he has a contract in fact he has to be paid out by the Roos to become a FA. The Kangas are apparently at their cap limit so I'm not sure if they can pay him out.

I believe in the past you could demote them to the rookie list if contracted as follows:

You delist them with the understanding that they are guaranteed a rookie spot with you within which they will be paid as per their contract instead of a rookie wage.

They then go through the draft process as per normal, and if another club drafts them then that club picks up the rest of their contract and the original club is free of its obligations.

If no one picks him up in the draft, the original club takes him with their last rookie pick and pays him his previous wage.

This may have changed with the whole DFA thing getting introduced. So basically based on my understanding of previous occasions North can demote him to the rookie list without having to pay out his contract or anything, but they risk losing him for nothing should someone else decide to draft him.

Pickenitup
17-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Luke Thompson from the crows got delisted worth a look for our defence?
The times when I have seen him play he has looked okay.

F'scary
17-10-2014, 08:47 PM

Well, I don't know anything about him but he is the right size, 24 yo for season 2015 and has 20 games experience over the past 3 years. He was up against Daniel Talia, Brodie Smith and Andy Ottens for a KPB position at the Crows - stiff competition.

azabob
17-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Interesting as they were chasing Key defenders during the trade period.

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 08:58 PM

He finished the season quite strongly so it's a bit of a surprise.

Port Took small forward Angas Monfries out of the game.
SANFL Wonderful in defence. 20 touches and blanketed Bloods forwards. -
SANFL Impassable full-back, easily eclipsed league leading goalkicker Eddy. -
Coll White kicked two early goals on him but then he got on top.
WCE Had to switch to Kennedy once Talia left the game.
Bris Shut down Close but never saw a lot of the ball (eight disposals).
Rich Holding up as the second tall defender and stood tall on Griffiths.
NM Quiet game but opponent Black not influential either.

ratsmac
17-10-2014, 09:19 PM
He finished the season quite strongly so it's a bit of a surprise.

Port Took small forward Angas Monfries out of the game.
SANFL Wonderful in defence. 20 touches and blanketed Bloods forwards. -
SANFL Impassable full-back, easily eclipsed league leading goalkicker Eddy. -
Coll White kicked two early goals on him but then he got on top.
WCE Had to switch to Kennedy once Talia left the game.
Bris Shut down Close but never saw a lot of the ball (eight disposals).
Rich Holding up as the second tall defender and stood tall on Griffiths.
NM Quiet game but opponent Black not influential either.

They are good things you want to see from a defender. Definitely worth a look.

Our defence problems started in the midfield last season anyway. Too many times we were caught out over the top. Hawthorn's defenders would struggle if they played for us with the way we allow easy ball coming in our defensive 50.

Scorlibo
17-10-2014, 09:24 PM

I've always rated Taylor Hunt. Has genuine pace (but then so does Tutt I suppose).

Webby
17-10-2014, 09:40 PM
I've always rated Taylor Hunt. Has genuine pace (but then so does Tutt I suppose).

Any balance and poise?

Because Tutt has none.. Good luck, Carlton.. It used to be us who picked up Carlton's duds. Now it's them..... And Robbo etc have the temerity to question us!

Just sitting here, quietly waiting for us to stick it up a LOT of people...!

G-Mo77
17-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Harper would have been ours along with their pick in the 30's had Cooney chose Norf. We got 37 then ontraded for Biggs. Maybe we could have got both Harper and Biggs if Coons chose Norf.

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Harper would have been ours along with their pick in the 30's had Cooney chose Norf. We got 37 then ontraded for Biggs. Maybe we could have got both Harper and Biggs if Coons chose Norf.

North wanted something back. I'm not sure if it was pick 45 or not.

Maddog37
17-10-2014, 10:11 PM
If he wants out can request to be delisted?

Bulldog4life
17-10-2014, 10:31 PM
North wanted something back. I'm not sure if it was pick 45 or not.

Yes it was.

Twodogs
18-10-2014, 01:36 AM
Any balance and poise?

Because Tutt has none.. Good luck, Carlton.. It used to be us who picked up Carlton's duds. Now it's them..... And Robbo etc have the temerity to question us!

Just sitting here, quietly waiting for us to stick it up a LOT of people...!

Yeah. I've got a list of people we can stick it up.

North Melbourne football club for starters.

Twodogs
18-10-2014, 01:40 AM
We need a dependable tall defender. A player who can do a job. He doesn't have to get a lot of the ball just as long as he can punch the ball when he sees it. Every great team has had one.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Sam Grimley was reported as a probable DFA but it seems he wasn't.

GVGjr
18-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Sam Grimley was reported as a probable DFA but it seems he wasn't.

The Hawks haven't finalised their list. Perhaps losing Lowden means they will keep Grimley but he still might be cut

Go_Dogs
18-10-2014, 09:39 AM

A couple of fellow WOOFers will recall that I have mentioned him to them a few times.

He'd be a good fit for us I think, pretty surprised they have done it but perhaps they are confident Otten will be back from his LTI and Cheeney is sufficient in the meantime to see them through.

G-Mo77
18-10-2014, 10:55 AM
We need a dependable tall defender. A player who can do a job. He doesn't have to get a lot of the ball just as long as he can punch the ball when he sees it. Every great team has had one.

We have one like that in Austin?

I don't rate him at all but he has all those traits.

F'scary
18-10-2014, 02:39 PM
We have one like that in Austin?

I don't rate him at all but he has all those traits.

And can't keep his feet in a contest and is such a liability when he has the ball that last season other teams were zoning off him so that he would be defender clearing the ball.

LostDoggy
19-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Quite a few of the 2013 SA Championships side have been given the Chaminda after one season. Spina, Battersby and Reynolds. Anyone know potential reasons why? Reynolds was at Carlton, but the other two were in their home state. I liked Battersby and Reynolds in particular from what I saw them do.