PDA

View Full Version : Brett Montgomery

azabob
16-10-2014, 06:34 PM
According most jurno's it is a foregone conclusion that Brett Montgomery will be our senior coach.

Brett Montgomery rightly or wrongly is a whipping boy on this forum.

This year he has been awarded "assistant coach of the year"

What are peoples view on Brett being our senior coach?

bornadog
16-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Personally, I would like a complete fresh approach with a new person from outside. Peter already said he would prefer an experienced coach to take over, but he is not on the selection panel (or is he)

I am hoping its Ratten, although I didn't rate him a few years ago, but two years with Clarkson, two premierships, lets get him now.

Ozza
16-10-2014, 06:40 PM
It's hard for any of us to have a really strong idea about the capabilities of assistant coaches.

Getting the award this year, and the other snippets I've heard about him from around the club - is that he is very highly rated.

I've also heard fantastic things about Leigh Tudor from a St.Kilda source, in his time there.

When it comes to untried senior coaches - probably the best we can do, is to hope that those on the panel choosing the coach exercise good, considered judgement.

GVGjr
16-10-2014, 06:45 PM
According most jurno's it is a foregone conclusion that Brett Montgomery will be our senior coach.

What I find interesting with the way the Journo's are speaking is that we have actually interviewed no one yet. I'd like to hear how they have drawn that conclusion of Montgomery being the favourite?

I'm not sure about Montgomery but the questions he will have to answer is the same as the others and it will be around match day tactics, development of the playing list and if he has the ability of selling the club to sponsors coterie groups etc.

Remember these are the same journo's that said Cameron was a done deal when Brendan McCartney got the job.

Pickenitup
I would love Monty to be coach everytime I have heard him speak he has a great knowledge of the game
Has played in a premiership and is highly rated from other clubs and he is very passionate about Our Club.

LostDoggy
Personally, I would like a complete fresh approach with a new person from outside. Peter already said he would prefer an experienced coach to take over, but he is not on the selection panel (or is he)

I am hoping its Ratten, although I didn't rate him a few years ago, but two years with Clarkson, two premierships, lets get him now.

Ratten seems like a great choice, however are you slightly worried why he wasn't given the senior role when Clarkson was struck down by illness?

I was very suprised he didn't get the caretaker role.

Pickenitup
16-10-2014, 06:46 PM
And I think he would sell Our Club very very well.

anfo27
16-10-2014, 06:46 PM
The only concern I have with Monty is when he had a public crack at Brian on a radio interview a few years back where he pretty much said Brian was soft from memory. I wouldn't want our senior coach potting his senior players in public. Hopefully he has learnt from that and if he has the respect of the playing group then maybe he is the man for the job.

I just want us to get the best coach possible. I don't care what it costs us just get that the best and if that's Monty then I can live with that.

Scraggers
16-10-2014, 06:47 PM
I too am hoping for someone with experience ... Nothing against Monty, I just feel we are at the stage where we need someone who has held the reins before. Brett Ratten, Bomber Thompson, Mark Williams. We definitely cant go backwards to Wallace or Eade. Time to move forward with experience.

azabob
16-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Ratten seems like a great choice, however are you slightly worried why he wasn't given the senior role when Clarkson was struck down by illness?

I was very suprised he didn't get the caretaker role.

My understanding is that Hawthorn footy boss Mark Evans decided it was in the clubs best interest to have Bolton as stand in coach to avoid the speciulation that would occur if Ratten was selected.

Bulldog Joe
16-10-2014, 07:12 PM
I too am hoping for someone with experience ... Nothing against Monty, I just feel we are at the stage where we need someone who has held the reins before. Brett Ratten, Bomber Thompson, Mark Williams. We definitely cant go backwards to Wallace or Eade. Time to move forward with experience.

Thompson is clearly in the not available category.

Williams left Port Adelaide as a rabble that took years to recover from.

I would find Ratten acceptable but would be quite happy with Montgomery.

ledge
16-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Thompson is clearly in the not available category.

Williams left Port Adelaide as a rabble that took years to recover from.

I would find Ratten acceptable but would be quite happy with Montgomery.

Why is bomber clearly not available ?
He wants to coach and not be an assistant.. There is only one job available for senior coach in Melbourne and its us, also add we are a mirror image of where Geelong were at when they came good, a load of young kids about to come good

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-10-2014, 07:36 PM
What I find interesting with the way the Journo's are speaking is that we have actually interviewed no one yet. I'd like to hear how they have drawn that conclusion of Montgomery being the favourite?

I'm not sure about Montgomery but the questions he will have to answer is the same as the others and it will be around match day tactics, development of the playing list and if he has the ability of selling the club to sponsors coterie groups etc.

Remember these are the same journo's that said Cameron was a done deal when Brendan McCartney got the job.

You would have to think that Montgomery is on the to be considered list but like you I was very surprised at how strong the media has been with their support. I hope the search for a new coach is both intensive and extensive. The decision is a critical one and every step should be taken to ensure that we obtain the absolute best candidate available.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 07:37 PM
For what its worth, Damien Barrett who I might add has a strange vendetta against us, mentioned that Brett Montgomery was potentially destabilising McCartney

azabob
16-10-2014, 07:46 PM
For what its worth, Damien Barrett who I might add has a strange vendetta against us, mentioned that Brett Montgomery was potentially destabilising McCartney

Yep, and Robbo is also suggesting the same.

stefoid
16-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Thompson is a headcase. It would be StKilda getting Blight mark II

The bulldog tragician
16-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Scarlett and Mooney both departed club.

ledge
16-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Yep, and Robbo is also suggesting the same.

They always say that if an assistant looks like taking over, it's just a way to get a story going on a team they want to fail.

Pedro Sanchez
16-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Thompson is a headcase. It would be StKilda getting Blight mark II

And aligned to Macca. Out of respect to his mate he'd never take the gig if offered. Same situation as Sando at the Crows.

Next...

Pedro Sanchez
16-10-2014, 08:02 PM
I’d be happy to see Monty appointed with Scott West named as his senior assistant. These guys played a lot of footy together back in the day, by all reports we’re great mates and I think Westy would help freshen up the place.

Not a bad double act.

Maddog37
16-10-2014, 08:10 PM
I don't enjoy the idea of Monty being in business with the president and getting the coaching job too. Makes me feel that we would be open to unnecessary criticism.

bornadog
My understanding is that Hawthorn footy boss Mark Evans decided it was in the clubs best interest to have Bolton as stand in coach to avoid the speciulation that would occur if Ratten was selected.

What sort of speculation?

Doc26
As senior assistant coach, I do see Montgomery needing to share some of the fallout between our players and coaching panel this year, that Macca has taken the fall for, and would prefer that we look elsewhere to start afresh.

Btw Has Montgomery presented and if so made it to the shortlist of any other Club's search for a senior coach previously ? I haven't heard his name mentioned previously as a legitimate chance for other senior gigs before.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Scarlett and Mooney both departed club.

Mooney was going to anyway, Macca or no Macca.

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 08:41 PM
What sort of speculation?

Speculation of Ratten taking the job full time if he was successful for the 5 games and Clarkson unsuccessful when he returned

LostDoggy
16-10-2014, 08:54 PM

And the same journos that said we wouldn't get Boyd. And that we're a basket case with no hope for the future.

I don't enjoy the idea of Monty being in business with the president and getting the coaching job too. Makes me feel that we would be open to unnecessary criticism.

One buys out the other. Solved.

Webby
16-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Anyone heard the talk coming out that Montgomery may have had some involvement in white-anting McCartney?

Reminds me of Danny Southern's comments in Year of the Dogs post Joyce's sacking: "I dunno mate.... I reckon there might've been some back stabbin' goin' on.."

Enter Plough..

Dry Rot
16-10-2014, 09:11 PM
As senior assistant coach, I do see Montgomery needing to share some of the fallout between our players and coaching panel this year, that Macca has taken the fall for, and would prefer that we look elsewhere to start afresh.

This.

If we've had a player cleanout, I favour a coaching clean out too, with the new guys coming from other clubs and different environments.

azabob
16-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Anyone heard the talk coming out that Montgomery may have had some involvement in white-anting McCartney?

Reminds me of Danny Southern's comments in Year of the Dogs post Joyce's sacking: "I dunno mate.... I reckon there might've been some back stabbin' goin' on.."

Enter Plough..

You didnt read this thread before posting, did you?

Dry Rot
16-10-2014, 09:12 PM

Enter Plough..

Interesting. Year of the Dogs 2.

Let's do a cleanout.

Doc26
16-10-2014, 09:17 PM

Enter Plough..

Mark Robinson on SEN this evening was implying this although he was tip toeing around the point. Said he wanted to hear what Montgomery had to say.

Webby
16-10-2014, 09:22 PM
You didnt read this thread before posting, did you?

Oh, okay. There was a post on it with a couple of dismissive replies! Soooooo, i guess we're done, then!?
Montgomery is beyond scrutiny and there would be no residual baggage from the For Macca and Against Macca camps among the playing group..?

Start afresh, I say. I see this as being pretty relevant!

azabob
16-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Oh, okay. There was a post on it with a couple of dismissive replies! Soooooo, i guess we're done, then!?
Montgomery is beyond scrutiny and there would be no residual baggage from the For Macca and Against Macca camps among the playing group..?

Start afresh, I say. I see this as being pretty relevant!

The exact opposite actually. In this case i think Montgomery definitely had a part in it and i dont think he should coach our club in 2015.

KT31
16-10-2014, 09:55 PM

Are these the same journo's who said we had no chance of signing Boyd ?
I will take it all with a grain of salt, for %^&$ sake we haven't even had a chance to consider a coach with the trade period finishing this arvo.

Happy Days
16-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Speculation of Ratten taking the job full time if he was successful for the 5 games and Clarkson unsuccessful when he returned

Plus Ratten and his past coaching experience may have led him to stray from the course and try to implement some of his own ideals onto the group?

Bolton is much more of a blind foot soldier type who would do as he is told and nothing else. Did you see his interview on 360? A dead ringer in tone, attitude and looks for that little mouse in Space Jam.

Doc26
16-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Montgomery's assistant coaching experience with successful teams, in successful years is seriously lacking.

Although he may be lauded for his application to assistant coaching, his 7 years asst. coaching experience shows his exposure to coaching panels that are pressing is just not there.

2008. 11th (under Ratten)
2009. 7th (under Ratten)
2010. 8th (under Ratten)
2011. 10th (under Eade, final year)
2012. 15th (under McCartney)
2013. 15th (under McCartney)
2014. 14th (under McCartney)

Webby
16-10-2014, 10:25 PM
The exact opposite actually. In this case i think Montgomery definitely had a part in it and i dont think he should coach our club in 2015.

Good. I don't think he should be our coach either. In fact, I'm not 100% sure who should coach us just yet. There are a couple from outside the listed names that could snag it. I certainly wouldn't read much into the journos' lists. I want a fresh voice into the place and no baggage.

azabob
16-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Good. I don't think he should be our coach either. In fact, I'm not 100% sure who should coach us just yet. There are a couple from outside the listed names that could snag it. I certainly wouldn't read much into the journos' lists. I want a fresh voice into the place and no baggage.

Agree. Someone with experience would be great - but there is no obvious choice like there was when we hired Eade.

Will be interesting which way we go.

Dry Rot
16-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Williams is our man.

IIRC highly regarded at the Tigers with his work there.

Webby
16-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Yeah, Williams wouldn't take any sh1t... I'd like the net cast pretty wide - as I'm sure it is.

Twodogs
16-10-2014, 11:03 PM
What does Williams do at Richmond? I've seen him prowling around the interchange area during games but that only takes a few hours a week so he must do something else.

He could just be the crazy bastard we need to get us out of this.

Sedat
16-10-2014, 11:07 PM
What does Williams do at Richmond? I've seen him prowling around the interchange area during games but that only takes a few hours a week so he must do something else.

He could just be the crazy bastard we need to get us out of this.
Judging by the size of him, he eats all the post-match lollies.

I've always liked Choco. Good left-field choice to explore.

F'scary
16-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Is Williams more your old style coach? Out there, in everyone's face. Strong relationship with each player. Rants. Raves. Preaches. Wears his heart on his sleeve. Unpredictable. Strongest point is being able to rev everyone up with over-the-top emotional addresses. Weakness: planning, homework, innovation.

Bulldog Revolution
16-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Cheap shots by Barrett and Robinson at Monty

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2014, 11:44 PM
It's difficult to know who is and isn't a good candidate, but sitting from the outside I wouldn't be too pleased with Montgomery. The facts are that the club has been in a crisis that he was involved in as a senior assistant.

Now more than ever we need genuine leadership, which means senior coaching experience. As I have said previously, Williams is my first choice and Ratten my second choice.

Raw Toast
17-10-2014, 03:14 AM
Happy for the club to go through due process, but think the calls for a complete clean-out are a bit premature - perhaps Monty saw that the senior coach was struggling and was honest about that. Arguably better than staying silent in that case.

Wallace might have done a bit of back-stabbing back in 96, but he was clearly an ok appointment given when happened in the next few years of his tenure! The advantage of someone from the inside like Montgomery is that they know the list, know what was working and what wasn't, and can hopefully take the club forward immediately. The disadvantages are that they were part of the problem and might not be part of the solution.

I'm going to trust the club to do their due diligence, assess the situation correctly, and make the right call.

Bulldog Joe
17-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Why is bomber clearly not available ?
He wants to coach and not be an assistant.. There is only one job available for senior coach in Melbourne and its us, also add we are a mirror image of where Geelong were at when they came good, a load of young kids about to come good

I don't believe he would step into McCartney's shoes
His price would be beyond our available spend
He is also facing an AFL deregistration over his refusal to pay the fine for his part in the Essendon Saga.
He may also still be further sanctioned around the Essendon Saga

Go_Dogs
17-10-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm going to trust the club to do their due diligence, assess the situation correctly, and make the right call.

I'm probably being unfair, but that is the largest concern for me. I'm not confident in those who will make the decision.

They couldn't identify an issue earlier than Griff advising of one at the B&F
They couldn't fix that issue, despite believing they had (not all their fault)
They couldn't hold firm on Macca
They reappointed Macca early which in hindsight was a poor decision
One candidate is someone the President has a vested interest in (not saying there's a conflict, but it's a concern)

We have a history of poor decisions over the last 10 years from senior level. It's going to be imperative we get this one right. I hope we look for someone who doesn't claim a short term fix based on PG's comments we're now out of our development phase and should play finals for the next 10 years, but feel we will.

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 09:22 AM
My biggest question about a potential Montgomery appointment is that being regarded as a players coach this probably raises the question about why Peter Gordon first really heard officially about some communication issues with the coach and some of the players at the B&F?

While it's difficult to raise some issues with the senior management about your direct boss, at the very least I would have thought Montgomery would raise this a couple of times with McCartney and if there wasn't improvement then he should have raised this with Lowe and Garlick.

I'm speculating here but as the senior assistant coach if he was aware of issues that were causing instability within the playing group then he needed elevate this with the clubs management regardless of the reporting lines. Did he do it? I don't know but if he is seen as a players coach then I'm not sure why this got to the point that it did.

LostDoggy
17-10-2014, 10:13 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-24/the-new-crop-of-senior-coaches

AFL assistant coaches (as at mid this year)

Some of these are gone, and some clearly too inexperienced.

GVGjr
17-10-2014, 10:19 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-24/the-new-crop-of-senior-coaches

AFL assistant coaches (as at mid this year)

Some of these are gone, and some clearly too inexperienced.

I keep going back to Kingsley as someone I hope we interview. From memory he has worked under Williams and Lyon which would be a good experience.

bornadog
17-10-2014, 11:05 AM
My biggest question about a potential Montgomery appointment is that being regarded as a players coach this probably raises the question about why Peter Gordon first really heard officially about some communication issues with the coach and some of the players at the B&F?

While it's difficult to raise some issues with the senior management about your direct boss, at the very least I would have thought Montgomery would raise this a couple of times with McCartney and if there wasn't improvement then he should have raised this with Lowe and Garlick.

I'm speculating here but as the senior assistant coach if he was aware of issues that were causing instability within the playing group then he needed elevate this with the clubs management regardless of the reporting lines. Did he do it? I don't know but if he is seen as a players coach then I'm not sure why this got to the point that it did.

Personally, I am still wondering what the hell happened and we ended up like this ie Macca having to leave. Surely there is a lot more to this that we don't know.