PDA

View Full Version : End of an era

Sedat
16-10-2014, 11:47 PM
It only feels like a short time ago that we were toasting a young midfield trio of Cooney, Griffen and Higgins as the building blocks of a future elite 10 year midfield rotation. Now all 3 are no longer at the club. The game changes so quickly.

Looking forward to the start of the next era ;)

F'scary
16-10-2014, 11:49 PM
It's the end of the world as we know it.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2014, 11:50 PM
Time passes quickly.

To be honest, I am relieved and glad. The past era is riddled with players who failed to take advantage of big opportunities during big games. As much as I loved Griffen, and as well as he played in finals, his disposal efficiency was often woeful and I still recall him missing 3 or so shots for goal v St. Kilda in the 09 PF.

Higgins never delivered and Cooney struggled in finals too (unfortunate injury).

New era and the signs are good so far. When we've needed players to stand up, Bonti, Macrae, Stringer and Libba have done it a number of times already.

bornadog
16-10-2014, 11:51 PM
We have lost 1027 games of experience with 10 players gone, it truly is a new era

bulldogtragic
16-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Farren Ray, Tommy Williams and Jesse Wells the other top picks around them. Can't wait for something new.

Scorlibo
16-10-2014, 11:59 PM
It feels like the end of Lord of the Rings. Gia is Bilbo, Griff is Frodo. Macca Elrond. Cooney has to be Gandalf, needs a walking stick. Higgins can be Galadriel. They're sailing off into the sunset.

Sedat
17-10-2014, 12:00 AM
It's the end of the world as we know it.
...and I feel fine ;)

LostDoggy
17-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Recruit
Excellent
Magnificent

LostDoggy
17-10-2014, 12:31 AM
Answer REM

LostDoggy
17-10-2014, 03:18 AM
The new "Fab Four" are among us.
Stringer, Macrae, Bonts, and Boyd.

End of one era, start of another.

comrade
17-10-2014, 04:16 AM
The new "Fab Four" are among us.
Stringer, Macrae, Bonts, and Boyd.

End of one era, start of another.

Can't squeeze in Libba?

FrediKanoute
17-10-2014, 05:37 AM
It really is the end of an era. In many ways, on reflection if the Board/football department had been stronger these guys would have been traded out earlier, when their currency was higher. Hindsight is great, but the lesson we learn is that when the refresh becomes a rebuild you need to start thinning out the guys who wont be there for the next tilt. Not the way Melbourne did it, but giving up guys who have some value to accelerate the talent into the system (stockpiling low draft picks). You then use your older wiser heads who aren't going anywhere as role models.

Good luck to Griff, Coons and Higgo, they are quality players and Cooney and Griffin in their day were great, but the new litter of pups is a more evenly spread in terms of talent - we have talls, we have inside mids, we have freaks. A little bit of outside pace would compliment the group.

hujsh
17-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Can't squeeze in Libba?

Not a top 10 pick

BulldogBelle
17-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Very excited by the future that lays ahead. We will have a couple more lean years but we are heading in the right direction.

always right
17-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Distinctly remember the Herald Sun pre-season footy magazine around 2008 if I recall correctly. Had the headline "attack dogs" with Cooney and Griff on the front cover. Seems a long time ago now.

SonofScray
17-10-2014, 09:26 AM
It really is the end of an era. In many ways, on reflection if the Board/football department had been stronger these guys would have been traded out earlier, when their currency was higher. Hindsight is great, but the lesson we learn is that when the refresh becomes a rebuild you need to start thinning out the guys who wont be there for the next tilt. Not the way Melbourne did it, but giving up guys who have some value to accelerate the talent into the system (stockpiling low draft picks). You then use your older wiser heads who aren't going anywhere as role models.

Good luck to Griff, Coons and Higgo, they are quality players and Cooney and Griffin in their day were great, but the new litter of pups is a more evenly spread in terms of talent - we have talls, we have inside mids, we have freaks. A little bit of outside pace would compliment the group.

Absolutely. This is the brave new world and mind set we need to be prepared to work with.

Time will judge us all, but I think the overall quality of our low picks from recent poor seasons is higher than what we brought into the Club in the previous cycle. They're got going to have absolute Club legends carrying the can while they develop into elite players, like Griff, Cooney and the class of 99 did for example. However, they have an opportunity to own the responsibility and challenges a race to the flag presents all themselves, not be held back by past doubts and failings in big games. And if they want to shift around or don't look like getting it done on the biggest stage, ship them out at their highest value to keep the cycle of talent coming into the Club while we are up and about as well.

LostDoggy
17-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Can't squeeze in Libba?

Never heard of him, haha, maybe fab five then?
Seriously we need to pump this up a bit. Market a new team, generate interest.............get Tommy Boyd a nickname!
Start media and public talking about the Dogs again.

always right
17-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Never heard of him, haha, maybe fab five then?
Seriously we need to pump this up a bit. Market a new team, generate interest.............get Tommy Boyd a nickname! Start media and public talking about the Dogs again.

I can't make up my mind between 'Tommy' and 'Boydy'. What do you think?

Of course the nickname 'Tommygun' is now vacant.

What about 'messiah'?

bornadog
17-10-2014, 11:19 AM
I can't make up my mind between 'Tommy' and 'Boydy'. What do you think?

Of course the nickname 'Tommygun' is now vacant.

We also have Tom Campbell, who gets Tommy, Tom Libba, but he is covered.

1eyedog
17-10-2014, 11:55 AM
It only feels like a short time ago that we were toasting a young midfield trio of Cooney, Griffen and Higgins as the building blocks of a future elite 10 year midfield rotation. Now all 3 are no longer at the club. The game changes so quickly.

Looking forward to the start of the next era ;)

Yeah it really is. It's like planting new trees and plants - all very spring-like. We went to town at the soil with a rotary hoe but we've laid the foundation and planted good seeds and we're starting to see the sprigs. We are very fortunate to have come out of this is as good position as we have and all kudos to Dalrymple and JMac for that.

It's always hard watching what you've seen grow slowly fade away (Cooney's knee) or be abruptly pulled out (Griffen's exodus), but we've got new things growing now and a new found optimism that we've got a highly diversified playing list who will continue to grow together through the seasons that come.

Sedat
17-10-2014, 12:10 PM
It's always hard watching what you've seen grow slowly fade away (Cooney's knee) or be abruptly pulled out (Griffen's exodus), but we've got new things growing now and a new found optimism that we've got a highly diversified playing list who will continue to grow together through the seasons that come.
I'm as guilty as anyone of looking back wistfully at our 2008-2010 run but that is now many years ago. That group (of which Griff, Coons and Higgins were integral) had its chance and didn't quite get to the big dance - they aren't going to improve any time soon, although Griff will remain elite for another couple of years.

It really is time to start the next chapter and back our quality youth in. Judging from our B&F results in 2014 and the influx of more quality so far in the off-season, it is a very exciting future to look forward to.

ledge
17-10-2014, 11:20 PM
I think we saw the start of the new era against GC.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2014, 12:26 AM

I think Campbell gets Tommy too. But... For the Libba/Boyd combo, Can we go on the play of words 'Tom Tom', as in the GPS?

The most direct way to goal? The Tom Tom GPS (Goal Production System)?

jeemak
18-10-2014, 01:05 AM
I think this year's clean out hasn't been by accident, though the bi-product of losing our captain and coach were not foreseen by the Club's management.

Yes it is an end of an era, but I think the outgoings from the club were probably determined between the end of 2013 and half way through this season - with exception to Griffen who it seems couldn't handle the pressure that came with captaining a club, and shouldn't have been selected to that role in the first place anyway.

When I look back to our relative success between 2008-2010, Higgins, Cooney and Griffen are fairly well consequential to our performances during that time while the backbone of it was formed through strong recruiting in the 90's. The reason I have hope for us now is because once again, these guys are consequential or almost irrelevant to the building of our club again and solid drafting is going to do the rest.

For me, these guys were a big part of our club for a long time but never really grabbed it by the balls and led it like it needed to be led.

I'm grateful for their services, because for the most part I think they tried their arses off. I'm completely un-phased by their departures however, we have bigger fish to fry.

ReLoad
18-10-2014, 12:37 PM

Campbell is "Soups"

Scorlibo
18-10-2014, 01:29 PM
I think this year's clean out hasn't been by accident, though the bi-product of losing our captain and coach were not foreseen by the Club's management.

Yes it is an end of an era, but I think the outgoings from the club were probably determined between the end of 2013 and half way through this season - with exception to Griffen who it seems couldn't handle the pressure that came with captaining a club, and shouldn't have been selected to that role in the first place anyway.

When I look back to our relative success between 2008-2010, Higgins, Cooney and Griffen are fairly well consequential to our performances during that time while the backbone of it was formed through strong recruiting in the 90's. The reason I have hope for us now is because once again, these guys are consequential or almost irrelevant to the building of our club again and solid drafting is going to do the rest.

For me, these guys were a big part of our club for a long time but never really grabbed it by the balls and led it like it needed to be led.

I'm grateful for their services, because for the most part I think they tried their arses off. I'm completely un-phased by their departures however, we have bigger fish to fry.

Even though I agree that the three you mention may not have figured too prominently in any future success at the club... Cooney won a Brownlow in 2008. Higgins was on fire in 2009, in our best year. Griffen was our strongest finals performer. I think each in their own way deserve a fair bit of credit for our modest success during that period.

Twodogs
18-10-2014, 02:49 PM
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=nickname+generator&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

w3design
18-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Distinctly remember the Herald Sun pre-season footy magazine around 2008 if I recall correctly. Had the headline "attack dogs" with Cooney and Griff on the front cover. Seems a long time ago now.
Start of next season that will be 8 seasons before hand so yes a lifetime in football