PDA

View Full Version : Cordy, Z: Positive influence on Cordy, A?

F'scary
18-10-2014, 02:22 PM
I am wondering what effect the presence of Zaine Cordy will have on his older brother Ayce?

As we know, Ayce was a high draft pick but has been a slow developer.

Could having his younger brother at the club spur Ayce into bridging the gap between what he did in 2014 and what is needed for him to be a first 22 player?

bornadog
18-10-2014, 02:46 PM
There may be a little bit of brotherly competitiveness, which can only be good. You would expect Ayce not wanting little brother showing him up and getting more senior games.

F'scary
18-10-2014, 02:49 PM
There may be a little bit of brotherly competitiveness, which can only be good. You would expect Ayce not wanting little brother showing him up and getting more senior games.

That is along the lines of what I was thinking, BAD.

boydogs
18-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Guys like Grant and Cordy now find themselves in the top 10 oldest players at the club, I wonder whether they may start to step up as leaders and role models instead of allowing bigger personalities to dominate

F'scary
18-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Guys like Grant and Cordy now find themselves in the top 10 oldest players at the club, I wonder whether they may start to step up as leaders and role models instead of allowing bigger personalities to dominate

Wow. That is indeed true. No where for either of them to hide now.

Greystache
19-10-2014, 02:53 AM
Unless Z can somehow make A more athletic while also making him physically stronger, then A is just taking up a spot on the list that could be used on a more talented player.

Remi Moses
19-10-2014, 04:03 AM
Unless Z can somehow make A more athletic while also making him physically stronger, then A is just taking up a spot on the list that could be used on a more talented player.

I think the Cordy of Ayce has to show something next season .
I think the signs were good at Vfl level, and with Minson still at the club he'll still need to bide his time.

lemmon
19-10-2014, 09:57 AM
I think the signs were good at Vfl level, and with Minson still at the club he'll still need to bide his time.

I tend to agree but at the moment he's the third string ruck backup, very much an injury replacement type in the same way that Tom Derickx was at Sydney and Dan Currie is at North...does he really fall down that far in comparison to those guys?

Pembleton
19-10-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm encouraged because Ayce keeps improving. He's the type that ideally you'd be picking up now as a mature age rookie. Instead he has spent 6 years on the list already and cost us a 1st round pick. But he's going to be ok. He's played less games (because of the sub rule) but is at about the same progression as Minson was at the same point in his career. I'm not sure he will displace Will anytime soon but i think he will be a solid replacement in the next year or so.

Ruckmen often continue developing much much longer than smaller players. Ben Hudson, Ivan Maric, Stef Martin, Shane Mumford, Sam Jacobs are examples off the top of my head. A lot of that development happens relatively unnoticed in the lower levels because most sides play only 1 genuine ruck each week.

Twodogs
19-10-2014, 09:53 PM

Think back Rem. His old man was a "dud"for years. Everyone used to say that they only kept on the list to keep Neil happy. But then he had a breakout year in '84 I think. He was our first ever rebounding half back flanker. Before that HBFs were deranged thugs with mad stares.

Anyway the point is he was on the list for a long time before he came good.

Remi Moses
19-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Think back Rem. His old man was a "dud"for years. Everyone used to say that they only kept on the list to keep Neil happy. But then he had a breakout year in '84 I think. He was our first ever rebounding half back flanker. Before that HBFs were deranged thugs with mad stares.

True, and remember the same thing with Fossie.
My initial feeling when we picked up Fossie was ,why in hell have we picked up a Fitzroy reserves player?
I think we'd be still waiting for Graeme Cordy to come good

Webby
19-10-2014, 11:57 PM

To add to this, I recall that when we were up and about in '85, Brian was ahead of Neil in the pecking order. In fact, I'm not sure Neil was even selected in the finals series and played little senior footy that year...

From memory, anyway. Could be wrong.. Neil came good again in Sydney, but Brian was the more solid citizen for us from '85.... And, yes, Graeme was no good!

Twodogs
20-10-2014, 12:03 PM
My initial feeling when we picked up Fossie was ,why in hell have we picked up a Fitzroy reserves player?

You're correct on Fossie. He played his first year mainly in the twos until Malthose had the idea of sending him to defence and he blossomed.

To add to this, I recall that when we were up and about in '85, Brian was ahead of Neil in the pecking order. In fact, I'm not sure Neil was even selected in the finals series and played little senior footy that year...

From memory, anyway. Could be wrong.. Neil came good again in Sydney, but Brian was the more solid citizen for us from '85.... And, yes, Graeme was no good!

Neil kicked our first goal in 1985 at Princes Park against Carton. I don't know why I remember that but I do. He was still a pretty good player in 1985 for us. At the end of that year he went to the Swans for a heap of Doc Edelsten's money.

Brian did his knee just before the season started in 1986. Must have been in the last practice match. Pretty much finished him as a player.

Twodogs
20-10-2014, 12:05 PM

You're correct on Fossie. He played his first year mainly in the twos until Malthose had the idea of sending him to defence and he blossomed.

Neil kicked our first goal in 1985 at Princes Park against Carton. I don't know why I remember that but I do. He was still a pretty good player in 1985 for us. At the end of that year he went to the Swans for a heap of Doc Edelsten's money.

Brian did his knee just before the season started in 1986. Must have been in the last practice match. Pretty much finished him as a player.

stefoid
20-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Before that HBFs were deranged thugs with mad stares.

lol.