PDA

View Full Version : Jake Stringer - From 2015 and beyond

Go_Dogs
19-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Jake Stringer is a really interesting player. He's well built, attacks the contest hard. He's got some speed about him, and he has some serious x-factor. Whilst I have really liked the work he has done as a forward in recent times, I am hoping we begin to see the transition of Jake becoming a midfielder.

With his power, skill and ability to turn the jets on, I think he becomes our second most important centre square player, behind Liberatore. Others like Macrae and Bontempelli will also develop and play more time there, but for me - Jake is the most important piece of the puzzle. He can become a midfielder who wins his own ball, who is comfortable inside and out, and who regularly drifts forward to cause havoc and hit the scoreboard.

Before he can spend more time in the middle, he will need to improve his motor, and it means we will need to find someone else who can kick goals up forwards, but as our side develops he is a bloke I want around the ball as often as possible.

Where do you see Jake playing next season, and are you a fan of him transitioning to a midfield role (particularly now we have added a genuine key forward)?

Ozza
19-10-2014, 02:29 PM
I see Stringer as primarily a forward and am tipping he will win our goal kicking next year with 50 goals.

Bulldog Joe
19-10-2014, 02:37 PM
I like the idea of Stringer spending time in the midfield.

He really can become a monster there.

I see him as akin to Jobe Watson but with a better kick and more speed.

We do have some serious top end talent if a few of our youth get anywhere near the promise they have shown.

Before I Die
19-10-2014, 02:40 PM
I also see Jake as a key forward. He is 192cm, that makes him a big as Fevola and Pavlich. Paddy McCartin is 193cm.

We are screaming out for key forwards (even with Boyd), why move him into the midfield. We will have more picks inside the top ten over the next few years. I think we have more chance of finding midfielders who can replace him in the centre, rather than key forwards who can replace him up front.

EasternWest
19-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Future captain. Forward/midfield rotation.

Beast.

bornadog
19-10-2014, 03:12 PM
I remember Macca saying we have only seen 10% (ability) on what Stringer can do. I think it will take him a couple of more seasons before he can transition to midfield, so next year will be primarily in the forward line.

EasternWest
19-10-2014, 03:14 PM
I remember Macca saying we have only seen 10% (ability) on what Stringer can do. I think it will take him a couple of more seasons before he can transition to midfield, so next year will be primarily in the forward line.

He said Howard was a 100 game player too. Some things we have to take with a grain of salt.

That being said, Stringer definitely has massive upside.

hujsh
19-10-2014, 03:39 PM
He can be Mitch Hahn mk2. Bigger, more mobile, faster but with a similar mix of midfield and forward time

F'scary
19-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Stringer is so mobile that he certainly can take a turn in the middle. But I like the idea that we develop a midfield that is so good we don't have to spend him there robbing Peter (the forward line) to pay Paul. Basically, Stringer is a sensational forward. He is even an option for CHF.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2014, 04:02 PM
I'd like us to have a rotating 1 position on the midfield and forward line. Something like Jake, Stew and Bonts rotating through the midfield. All 190cm + so can be targets forward, but rotate soon to be bigger bodies and elite talent. They're all slightly different enough to change the types of defenders needed too. Hawthorn were good at this, this year. It seemed almost every centre bounce they had a different midfield and forward line to make it hard for oppositions to match up. I think why it worked was having taller and bigger bodies with good skill around the contest with a clearance machine and rotating forward to Smith, Bruest etc playing on lesser defenders owing to KPFs was an effective set up.

Remi Moses
19-10-2014, 04:04 PM
He can be Mitch Hahn mk2. Bigger, more mobile, faster but with a similar mix of midfield and forward time

No disrespect to Mitch but I reckon Jake's a bit more skilfull than Mitch.
In saying that Hahn was a massive underrated player for us

Hotdog60
19-10-2014, 04:16 PM

If Mitch was on we very rarely lost. If he was quite we didn't do as well.
Yes very underrated player.

hujsh
19-10-2014, 04:33 PM

I suppose I was trying to illustate that Hahn is like a prototype of what Stringer could be, with the finished product being superior in almost every area.

lemmon
19-10-2014, 04:39 PM
I've been bullish on him as a midfielder and still am. I see no reason why he couldn't play the same role Griff has as an inside midfielder with that ability to crash through packs and hurt on the outside with a damaging boot and some run. I really hope his power and spring that was his trademark as a junior continues to come back and he can do similar things to Dusty Martin with his big body in traffic. I'd be wanting the new coach to start to transition him into a full time mid in the same way they've done with Dahl this year, a similar forward/mid split would be terrific.

Maddog37
19-10-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't see Crameri as an onballer at all. Lacks poise..

boydogs
19-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Stringer has excellent forward craft, well in excess of anyone else on our list. He could probably spend time in the midfield if he is needed there but I think we will be a better side if he isn't

1eyedog
19-10-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't see Crameri as an onballer at all. Lacks poise..

Agree and Stringer has this in spades. He will destroy the forward line next year and will kick big bags but what's most pleasing about his ability is his poise. He has the ability to almost stop the play and makes others go slo-mo around him when he gets it and he is also a magnificent burst player. He has it all really and as such will transition to the midfield with ease once he has developed a strong fitness base.

Jake is pretty much key forward now and will assist Boyd immensely because he demands a tall, very good if not the best defensive back now.

jeemak
19-10-2014, 09:23 PM
I see Stringer and Boyd forming an excellent forward combination when the former plays forward. I'd like Stringer to spend some time helping out in the midfield though, and the sooner he gets the tank to do so the better as such a move will make our midfield more dangerous and our forward line less predictable.

Dancin' Douggy
19-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Stringer has absolute A grade forward instincts.
I would love to see him become a dominant forward alongside Boyd.
A classic 1 / 2 punch in the Dunstall / Brereton Tradition.

And if the game is slipping.........throw him in the middle to 'balance the books'.

I'm very bullish about Stringer, I think he's really gonna be something special.

wimberga
20-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Jake Stringer is without a doubt, in my mind, the most talented and most damaging player we have on our list. He has that rare combination of power, determination and skill to just get near the ball and make things happen.

He is extremely dangerous up forward and I expect him to continue to play there, however like others have stated, we will want to get him into the midfield as well. You want your best players where they can influence the game most, and for Jake that might change week to week or quarter to quarter but make no mistake, he's Jake the Snake!

Didn't intend to end on a rhyme but what the hell.

I really see him as our Robbie Gray (in terms of influence) or our Dustin Martin, or Patty Dangerfield.

stefoid
20-10-2014, 08:49 AM
The ultimate aim is a midfield of huge elite players who can kick goals. He should be playing midfield as soon as he can.

GVGjr
20-10-2014, 09:09 AM
The ultimate aim is a midfield of huge elite players who can kick goals. He should be playing midfield as soon as he can.

He is probably capable of going into the midfield more next season, the hard part in making that decision though is trying to find a way of replacing the goals he is likely to kick if he plays more as a forward.

Ozza
20-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Personally I think playing him in the midfield, more than just pinch hitting, would be a waste of his talents.

The way I see Stringer going, he is going to scare the shit out of opposition coaches/defenders and be a match up nightmare with his pace, strength and size. Genuine goal kickers are far harder to find than good midfielders. I might be getting ahead of things drawing comparisons with Pavlich - but I think all oppositions were far more comfortable when Mark Harvey was playing Pav in the midfield, than when he was in the forwardline.

1eyedog
20-10-2014, 10:52 AM
He is probably capable of going into the midfield more next season, the hard part in making that decision though is trying to find a way of replacing the goals he is likely to kick if he plays more as a forward.

He was kicking bags of 4 this season and missing a few too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him having 5+ goal games next season. Do you / can you drag someone who has the ability to hit the scoreboard like that away from the forward line considering our long-standing forward woes?

Ghost Dog
20-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Personally I think playing him in the midfield, more than just pinch hitting, would be a waste of his talents.

The way I see Stringer going, he is going to scare the sh1t out of opposition coaches/defenders and be a match up nightmare with his pace, strength and size. Genuine goal kickers are far harder to find than good midfielders. I might be getting ahead of things drawing comparisons with Pavlich - but I think all oppositions were far more comfortable when Mark Harvey was playing Pav in the midfield, than when he was in the forwardline.

Reminds me of when they tried to play Lloyd in the midfield. Jake is a genuine egotistic ( in a good way ) goal hungry kid and I would hate to take his candy away from him.

Mantis
20-10-2014, 10:54 AM

The way I see Stringer going, he is going to scare the sh1t out of opposition coaches/defenders and be a match up nightmare with his pace, strength and size. Genuine goal kickers are far harder to find than good midfielders. I might be getting ahead of things drawing comparisons with Pavlich - but I think all oppositions were far more comfortable when Mark Harvey was playing Pav in the midfield, than when he was in the forwardline.

Agree with this.

I have no problems with Jake having the ability to take a run through the midfield, but if we can turn him into a 50+ goal kicker per season player (which he is comfortably capable of being) then we have one part to a multi dimenisonal forwardline.

GVGjr
20-10-2014, 10:55 AM
He was kicking bags of 4 this season and missing a few too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him having 5+ goal games next season. Do you / can you drag someone who has the ability to hit the scoreboard like that away from the forward line considering our long-standing forward woes?

I think that is the hard part. I guess losing both Griffen and Cooney the temptation is to move Stringer into the midfield a bit more but you have to wonder if that is better for the club. I think the new coach will struggle with that decision.

Ozza
20-10-2014, 11:02 AM

After his education period in defence, he played the last 9 games of the year up forward for 22 goals, including a bag of 5 & 2 bags of 4 - and we only won 3 of 9 games in that time. If he did that over 22 games, its 54 goals, and we are talking a second year player.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Agree with this.

I have no problems with Jake having the ability to take a run through the midfield, but if we can turn him into a 50+ goal kicker per season player (which he is comfortably capable of being) then we have one part to a multi dimenisonal forwardline.

Exactly.

Fast forward to our side in a few years time when we're playing finals, and I see the combination of Boyd and Stringer particularly causing opposition sides serious concerns. He should (and will) take turns in the midfield but he's such a natural forward - he can win games by himself playing there.

always right
20-10-2014, 12:14 PM
And there is of course the knock-on effect of Stringer getting the best or second best defender. This is where players like Grant and Crameri can relly benefit.

firstdogonthemoon
20-10-2014, 12:20 PM
He is my favourite - he's one of those "who knows what will happen, probably something good" when he gets the ball players. Sometimes you can see it before it even happens. I say put him up the front so he kick loads of goals.

Sedat
20-10-2014, 01:11 PM
He will in time. Actually he also looked a complete natural as spare man in defence when he played that role a few times this season. What I really like about all our draftees since 2012 is that they are all natural footballers who have finely honed football instincts.

LostDoggy
20-10-2014, 01:13 PM
When will we be sending Jack MacRae down forward?

stefoid
20-10-2014, 01:16 PM
I think its a bit dangerous to extrapolate a purple-patch from last year into a full season - if he is that good, the opposition will put work into him. But lets say he could be a 50 goal a year 2nd forward. Thats a pretty good forward! Not elite, but pretty good.

But, if he plays midfield he has the tools to become an elite mid - I reckon he is a 30 goal/year mid anyway, and more importantly he helps our midfield become dominant which will help the whole team kick goals and win the game.

I keep coming back to - how are we going to compete with the GWS and the suns with all their draft picks? (OK, stealing their top forward is a good start) How are we going to avoid merely being a pale imitation of an expansion club with our good young draftees, but less of them?

The answer is the type of players we have recruited.

Clayton has done what he usually does and recruited a bunch of quick, skinny, skillfull types.

GWS is a bit all over the shop, but have have concentrated on a nicely balanced and structured list with an abundnance of talls and utilities.

OUR point of difference is we have recruited mids like Bonts, Macrae, Stringer, Smith, Jong, etc... Gigantic big brutes of players who en-masse should be able to physically dominate the opposition midfield at the stoppages and marking contests.

We shouldnt dilute that advantage by playing potentially our most dominant gigantic mid as a mere forward. We should be able to draft or trade in more 'pretty good' 2nd forwards like Crameri.

stefoid
20-10-2014, 05:33 PM
I reckon Bonts is our version of Adam Goodes.
Stringer is our version of Pavlich.

A fit Pavlich kicks 60-70 goals a season as a forward, but the midfield version kicked 37 goals in 2003!!
In 2004 he kicked 36 goals primarily from the midfield in the first 11 games!!!

Just think, you are the opposition defenders and/or coach.

scenario #1: Bonts and Stringer play as permanent forwards. They get a fulltime tall defender assigned to them who has planned all week to cooperate with their other defenders to stop their assigned opponents.

scenario #2: Bonts and Stringer player as mids. At any time during the game, they can find themselves running into the F50 with just their midfield opponents tagging along, if they havent lost them allready.

Which scenario makes you shit your pants more, as an opposition defender and coach?

Sedat
20-10-2014, 05:46 PM
I reckon Bonts is our version of Adam Goodes.
Stringer is our version of Pavlich.

A fit Pavlich kicks 60-70 goals a season as a forward, but the midfield version kicked 37 goals in 2003!!
In 2004 he kicked 36 goals primarily from the midfield in the first 11 games!!!

Just think, you are the opposition defenders and/or coach.

scenario #1: Bonts and Stringer play as permanent forwards. They get a fulltime tall defender assigned to them who has planned all week to cooperate with their other defenders to stop their assigned opponents.

scenario #2: Bonts and Stringer player as mids. At any time during the game, they can find themselves running into the F50 with just their midfield opponents tagging along, if they havent lost them allready.

Which scenario makes you shit your pants more, as an opposition defender and coach?
I reckon both will play as mids who spend some time forward (or even back on occasions). Fyfe basically plays wherever his team needs him at any given point in time.

Your point about our point of difference being the midfield monsters is valid. Even Macrae, once his frame catches up with his height, will end up being a Pendlebury-esque mid in size and stature. We the already have a decent emerging group of potential secondary mids (Smith, Stevens, Hrovat, Hunter, Prudden, Honeychurch) and we still have Boyd and Picken to do some heavy lifting in the short term, but we absolutely need to invest in some more quality mids to increase our depth in this area.

LostDoggy
20-10-2014, 05:51 PM
What a problem to have :)
IMO, long-term String Bean (apologies, thats my nickname for Stringer) as a 60 : 40 Forward : Midfield split, where as Bonti as 20:80.

stefoid
21-10-2014, 12:00 AM
I reckon both will play as mids who spend some time forward (or even back on occasions). Fyfe basically plays wherever his team needs him at any given point in time.

Your point about our point of difference being the midfield monsters is valid. Even Macrae, once his frame catches up with his height, will end up being a Pendlebury-esque mid in size and stature. We the already have a decent emerging group of potential secondary mids (Smith, Stevens, Hrovat, Hunter, Prudden, Honeychurch) and we still have Boyd and Picken to do some heavy lifting in the short term, but we absolutely need to invest in some more quality mids to increase our depth in this area.

Definitely help our rotations to plonk our tall mids in a pocket to rest. Or drag their tags deep int the F50 for shits ands giggles.

Do people have an opinion on Cockatoo?

bornadog
09-02-2015, 06:24 PM
We will be seeing a lot more of this.

http://youtu.be/SafJLqLhT8g

bulldogtragic
09-02-2015, 07:06 PM
As good as that was, the quarter of 4 goals against Willy was nuts too. Macca repeatedly said we've only seen 10% of Jake's potential. I can't wait to see the other 90% based on that video.

GVGjr
09-02-2015, 07:16 PM
As good as that was, the quarter of 4 goals against Willy was nuts too. Macca repeatedly said we've only seen 10% of Jake's potential. I can't wait to see the other 90% based on that video.

Do you really think that is true or is it a case that like many of us you want to believe it?

bulldogtragic
09-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Do you really think that is true or is it a case that like many of us you want to believe it?

Macca seemed genuine when I saw/heard him say it. The exact words escape me but he told the entire Bendigo function many good things about Jake, who was at the lunch. I think he said on talent alone he's as good as anyone he's coached, but when pre-seasons, work rate and belief (he is that good) all come together he can play in any position and win in any position. As I've said before on here when I chatted briefly to Macca he said if Jake reaches his potential he will be the best player he's been involved with.

Whether the figure is 10% as of last years GF, I can only take him at face value. But when we consider the severity of his leg injury, the impact on his running and gait, distance, speed and burst speed, then confidence in the surgeons work, sub conscious concern of re-injury, changing body shape of puppy fat to rock hard AFL players body, game time, game speed, experience, confidence etc... You can safely say this has limited the exposure of his ability and raw talent. As he gets bigger, stronger, tougher, quicker and confident of himself, his leg and the gameplan, game speed and it falls into place... I think there's still a massive upside to him, a bloody big massive, massive upside still to come.

Greystache
09-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Perhaps what he was saying was we've only seen Jake's potential 10% of the time, but once he's fit and has enough belief, we'll see it consistently.

GVGjr
09-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Whether the figure is 10% as of last years GF, I can only take him at face value. But when we consider the severity of his leg injury, the impact on his running and gait, distance, speed and burst speed, then confidence in the surgeons work, sub conscious concern of re-injury, changing body shape of puppy fat to rock hard AFL players body, game time, game speed, experience, confidence etc... You can safely say this has limited the exposure of his ability and raw talent. As he gets bigger, stronger, tougher, quicker and confident of himself, his leg and the gameplan, game speed and it falls into place... I think there's still a massive upside to him, a bloody big massive, massive upside still to come.

It was Macca's job to talk up the players but I was more interested in if you believed if he is currently only 10 to 20% of his potential?

Like many players he needs time and patience and a reasonable level of expectation placed on him. At a young age he already one of the focal points of our club and I'm sure there will be the occasional hiccup along the way.

The upside is certainly there but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's in the proportions Macca mentioned.

GVGjr
09-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Perhaps what he was saying was we've only seen Jake's potential 10% of the time, but once he's fit and has enough belief, we'll see it consistently.

I'd say that is probably more realistic.

bulldogtragic
09-02-2015, 07:52 PM
It was Macca's job to talk up the players but I was more interested in if you believed if he is currently only 10 to 20% of his potential?

Like many players he needs time and patience and a reasonable level of expectation placed on him. At a young age he already one of the focal points of our club and I'm sure there will be the occasional hiccup along the way.

The upside is certainly there but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's in the proportions Macca mentioned.

I'm not sure to be honest, maybe 1/3 perhaps VFL watchers might know much better than I. Some reports at draft time and then after mentioned his running gait was significantly affected and it would take years to get back to optimum. If that is the case, then everything has room for improvement from training lengths, burst speed, lateral movement, jumping etc. These are things he has been doing excellently. His body shape seems to have changed and another preseason can only improve it. The by-play between them and over hearing other conversations were that Macca was not concerned about talent, but trying to instil in Jake a work ethic to be a Pavlich/Riewoldt type. It's not to put pressure on Jakey, but once it clicks, I'm going to enjoy many years of watching him destroy opposition players.

1eyedog
09-02-2015, 08:27 PM
He plays like Ablett Senior and has the same bravado, is taller, will be as strong and is probably a tad faster. He has the same freakish ability to read the game and act accordingly as well.

The Underdog
09-02-2015, 08:54 PM
He plays like Ablett Senior and has the same bravado, is taller, will be as strong and is probably a tad faster. He has the same freakish ability to read the game and act accordingly as well.

To be honest, if I was going to make optimistic comparisons, I'd say on field he carries himself more like Carey. Swagger, intelligence the ability to do something freakish. I'm not sure I can compare anyone to Ablett Sr. Maybe Ablett Jr. crossed with Stringer and Jeremy Howe.

Before I Die
09-02-2015, 09:26 PM
To be honest, if I was going to make optimistic comparisons, I'd say on field he carries himself more like Carey. Swagger, intelligence the ability to do something freakish. I'm not sure I can compare anyone to Ablett Sr. Maybe Ablett Jr. crossed with Stringer and Jeremy Howe.

I am not sure that the words Carey and intelligence can both exist in the same sentence with the addition of the words 'lack of'.

For me, the obvious comparison is Riccuito in bullocking style, though being nearly 10 cm taller, Stringer is stronger in the air.

bulldogtragic
09-02-2015, 09:45 PM
I am not sure that the words Carey and intelligence can both exist in the same sentence with the addition of the words 'lack of'.

For me, the obvious comparison is Riccuito in bullocking style, though being nearly 10 cm taller, Stringer is stronger in the air.

That's for me too. Roo is the player in mind I see him hopefully getting close to emulating. If we can spare him from being a full time forward, I think and hope he can play in the heart of play with forward time. Looking at the Hawks strategy of rotating mids and forwards at every goal, we could get there too. Bonts, Jake, Crameri, Hunter, Dahl and Hrovat could easily rotate around and be very dangerous in time.

Twodogs
09-02-2015, 10:31 PM
As he gets strength back in his legs his kicking should get longer too. Those audacious goals that from 30 might come from 40 this season.

jeemak
10-02-2015, 05:16 AM
I don't really see any of the players mentioned above in Jake. To be perfectly honest, I think he's unique in the way he moves and the way he gets the ball and uses it.

We have a very special and unique player on our hands, but that's not to say he'll be as good as the players already mentioned. He can do the freaky and opportunistic things right now. When he learns to do the right thing all the time, and be reliable then we'll see his true value as the special things he does will be a bonus.

This guy is the most important player on our list. We won't get where we want to if he doesn't develop how we need him to.

The Underdog
10-02-2015, 08:09 AM

Football intelligence. Carey's a dick but he was a smart footballer

BornInDroopSt'54
10-02-2015, 08:20 AM

I agree and Carey did play with elite football intelligence ala Doug Hawkins.

LostDoggy
10-02-2015, 08:23 AM

I think it's probably unrealistic, but not overly so. Maybe he's at 20%, which is kinda splitting hairs really.

We're already comparing him in this thread alone to Ablett Snr, Carey and Ricciuto. The expectation is certainly on Jake, and the pressure that comes with it, but he seemingly thrives on it. His swagger just gets swaggier every time. Reports around the club are that becoming a father has been a fantastic step forward for Jake's maturity also.

1eyedog
10-02-2015, 10:06 AM
I'd say that is probably more realistic.

I feel pretty sure this was a metaphor for just how good he will / can become. Macca was implying that Stringer has a massively high ceiling. I mean 10% or 20% who knows? He may be travelling at 50%. If it's the latter gee whiz twice as good as he's going to be now! is really something.

1eyedog
10-02-2015, 10:09 AM
He doesn't move like Carey in fact he plays nothing like him, he's not a CHF, he's quicker, turns players inside out which Carey didn't do. Carey used his strength when in close.

He has all the attributes of Ablett Snr even if he plays a bit differently - fast twitch muscle fibres that allow him to spring, create space in two steps and of course he is strong like him as well. Obviously Jake is like no one because he is his own player and I agree with that to a point, but as a physical specimen and how he has an uncanny freakish ability to kick almost impossible goals - I've only seen one other player like that and that is Ablett Snr.

One thing is for sure he is the best player from the 2012 draft IMHO.

Dancin' Douggy
10-02-2015, 12:16 PM
I'm going with the Ablett senior comparisons. With a healthy slice of Leigh Matthews, and a spoonful of Glenn Archer.
And I'm serious.

LostDoggy
10-02-2015, 04:18 PM
All this only shown 10% or 20% of his ability is complete crap. Is he going to run 5 times faster, kick 5 times further, get the ball 5 times as often? Sure he may have significant improvement left in him, but once you get to that level the improvement is marginal in % terms. A 10% improvement in his case would take him from good to elite!

westdog54
10-02-2015, 04:21 PM
All this only shown 10% or 20% of his ability is complete crap. Is he going to run 5 times faster, kick 5 times further, get the ball 5 times as often? Sure he may have significant improvement left in him, but once you get to that level the improvement is marginal in % terms. A 10% improvement in his case would take him from good to elite!

10% to 20% of what he's capable of. He could go from being good to ridiculously elite.

Not sure how this is difficult to understand to be honest.

LostDoggy
10-02-2015, 05:52 PM
10% to 20% of what he's capable of. He could go from being good to ridiculously elite.

Not sure how this is difficult to understand to be honest.

Because it is nonsensical.

Topdog
10-02-2015, 06:24 PM

So you think he is currently only 10% behind Buddy in terms of talent?

bulldogtragic
10-02-2015, 06:25 PM

Take it up with Macca who said it :)

I think it's not only improvement, but consistency at the higher level. This is his first pre-season where i would say his leg wasn't an issue from a long term re-hab point of view. I recall reading some journos quoting his broken leg as bad at Nathan Brown's injury. So bad his running gait changed which was widely reported.

So he can run more this pre-season, run for longer, lift more weights (where legs are involved), burst quicker, kick longer, stand his ground more, jump higher/better. Not just more consistently, but better on top of gradual improvement. Add that with confidence and kids who will be actually able to kick to him, learn his running patterns and hit him up - and it's magic. - Then for this to happen with regular consistency, not glimpses we've seen. You can look at that part of Macca's comment, or the part that said he has the potential to be the best player he's been involved with. Think Geelong for 10 years, Essendon and us. That's high praise.

Dancin' Douggy
10-02-2015, 06:54 PM
I think we're only seeing 10% of his potential 10% of the time.
So if we saw him at 100%, 100% 0f the time, that's an improvement of 10,000%.

Twodogs
10-02-2015, 10:53 PM
If he is showing 10% of his potential and the aim is to get to 100% then it stands to reason he can get ten times better than he is.

bulldogtragic
10-02-2015, 11:00 PM
If he is showing 10% of his potential and the aim is to get to 100% then it stands to reason he can get ten times better than he is.

So 300 goals a year is on the cards? :)

LostDoggy
10-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Take it up with Macca who said it :)

I think it's not only improvement, but consistency at the higher level. This is his first pre-season where i would say his leg wasn't an issue from a long term re-hab point of view. I recall reading some journos quoting his broken leg as bad at Nathan Brown's injury. So bad his running gait changed which was widely reported.

So he can run more this pre-season, run for longer, lift more weights (where legs are involved), burst quicker, kick longer, stand his ground more, jump higher/better. Not just more consistently, but better on top of gradual improvement. Add that with confidence and kids who will be actually able to kick to him, learn his running patterns and hit him up - and it's magic. - Then for this to happen with regular consistency, not glimpses we've seen. You can look at that part of Macca's comment, or the part that said he has the potential to be the best player he's been involved with. Think Geelong for 10 years, Essendon and us. That's high praise.

No doubt and I wasn't trying to dampen enthusiasm it was just one of those things I had read a few times and couldn't let slip by.

bulldogtragic
10-02-2015, 11:38 PM
No doubt and I wasn't trying to dampen enthusiasm it was just one of those things I had read a few times and couldn't let slip by.

To be fair he did say Jones was 100% staying, we were using pick 5 on a certain player and he was coaching with us this year. So on balance you'd have to say most of what he said was not accurate... But I agree on the assessment of how good 'can' be if he reaches his potential and has the players around him to make him as good as possible.

soupman
11-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Considering both the Stringer performing at 10% and Jones 100% staying statements, has anyone considered BMac doesn't understand percentages?

Mofra
11-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Considering both the Stringer performing at 10% and Jones 100% staying statements, has anyone considered BMac doesn't understand percentages?
17 out of 15 people would agree with you.

Back to Stringer - does anyone see a pairing with Bontompelli, where Bonti is in the middle say 70% of the time and Stringer forward 70% of the time, then they swap to rest Bonti & give Stringer bursts in the centre?

Having at least one big powerful A grader in the centre 100% of the time makes our midfield look amazing in the years ahead - especially with Libba in there so often.

Greystache
11-02-2015, 02:01 PM
So 300 goals a year is on the cards? :)

He should finish just behind Jarrad Grant then going on some predictions for this season :D

LostDoggy
10-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Big Jake has tied some defences in knots this season so far , I think the stats say 16 goals from 23 shots , he's not the complete package yet but he has built up an impressive highlights reel so far , against the Saints he sure got a ride on Sam Fisher , just a shame it didn't stick
Robert Cianflone/Getty Images AsiaPacific

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+6+Western+Bulldogs+v+St+Kilda+bchU9keCVEQx.jpg

always right
10-05-2015, 04:17 PM
I
Big Jake has tied some defences in knots this season so far , I think the stats say 16 goals from 23 shots , he's not the complete package yet but he has built up an impressive highlights reel so far , against the Saints he sure got a ride on Sam Fisher , just a shame it didn't stick
Robert Cianflone/Getty Images AsiaPacific

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/AFL+Rd+6+Western+Bulldogs+v+St+Kilda+bchU9keCVEQx.jpg
Unfortunately this attempt by Stringer was symptomatic if our attitude in the third quarter. He had an easy mark over the top of an out of position Fisher but chose to go for mark of the year. I love his confidence and his desire to be "the man" but if he did the basics on this occasion we would have gone 61 points up....and who knows what happens. Sometimes he needs to simply do what is necessary.....nothing more.

Happy Days
10-05-2015, 04:58 PM
I
Unfortunately this attempt by Stringer was symptomatic if our attitude in the third quarter. He had an easy mark over the top of an out of position Fisher but chose to go for mark of the year. I love his confidence and his desire to be "the man" but if he did the basics on this occasion we would have gone 61 points up....and who knows what happens. Sometimes he needs to simply do what is necessary.....nothing more.

He should have just not dropped it.

josie
10-05-2015, 08:43 PM
He should have just not dropped it.

I do think it sometimes best not to attempt hangars as it does mean you will not keep your feet and be competitive if ball hits the ground. I'd love Jakey to have taken it, however I do think less spectacular play can be as, if not more, effective. So I understand (I think) the intent Always Right made his comment.

Maddog37
10-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Knowing Jake is going to jump on your head at any point in the game makes defenders very nervous........ Do you play in front of him or behind him? I think he should continue to test his boundaries.

soupman
11-05-2015, 09:39 AM
I

I was fine with the mark attempt, I want our guys to back themselves in and even if it isn't the perfect percentage play this is what brings people back.

The issues in the third were more to do with our workrate and intensity dropping off completely and being far too casual going forward with the ball.

Scorlibo
11-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Everything Jake did up to the point of marking the ball in that contest increased his chances of marking the ball - he just couldn't hold it. He needs to be given high ball after high ball at training and try to take them at the highest point with one grab. Without a doubt it's the skill he needs to work on most and the one that will take him to the elite level if he can improve on it.

craigsahibee
11-05-2015, 11:23 AM
I do think it sometimes best not to attempt hangars as it does mean you will not keep your feet and be competitive if ball hits the ground. I'd love Jakey to have taken it, however I do think less spectacular play can be as, if not more, effective. So I understand (I think) the intent Always Right made his comment.

Understand your point, but sometimes you have to let players play and Jake is a perfect example of this. I sincerely hope we don't try and temper his flamboyance. This kid is something pretty special and I for one want to see him take the game on.

always right
11-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Everything Jake did up to the point of marking the ball in that contest increased his chances of marking the ball - he just couldn't hold it. He needs to be given high ball after high ball at training and try to take them at the highest point with one grab. Without a doubt it's the skill he needs to work on most and the one that will take him to the elite level if he can improve on it.

Agree with this. Currently marking is not his strong suit.

ratsmac
17-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Looks like Jakey is our new face of the club, he's on tonight's footy show panel. They used to get Cooney and Gia on and since they are no longer playing with us they need someone else to represent us, and he speaks well from all the times I've seen him speak publicly.

F'scary
18-06-2015, 12:03 AM
Looks like Jakey is our new face of the club, he's on tonight's footy show panel. They used to get Cooney and Gia on and since they are no longer playing with us they need someone else to represent us, and he speaks well from all the times I've seen him speak publicly.

They want a guest with a decent highlights package.

westdog54
18-06-2015, 09:36 AM

He's never been shy of a camera, young Jakey. Very confident. Will be a good ambassador for the club in the media.

Ghost Dog
18-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Thought he looked suitably dismissive of the antics. Not enough footy in the footy show..

1eyedog
18-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Even Jake Stringer is not enough for me to watch the Footy Show.

G-Mo77
18-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Even Jake Stringer is not enough for me to watch the Footy Show.

Likewise. I'm genuinely surprised people still invest so much time into watching that. I only get to see 10 minutes each week during my break at work and that is to much. It's just complete utter tripe.

jeemak
18-06-2015, 11:04 AM
I caught 15 minutes after SOO and turned it off after that. It's basically a pantomime. A really bad one.

1eyedog
18-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Likewise. I'm genuinely surprised people still invest so much time into watching that. I only get to see 10 minutes each week during my break at work and that is to much. It's just complete utter tripe.

I'm not trying to be snobby or a wannabe footy elitist or anything I just see it as a pantomime as Jeemak says and I don't find it funny. All of the humour seems to be exclusively at the expense of others and there is more footy relevance on this board than there has been throughout the history of that show, with the exception of the episode when Doug found out that EJ had passed. .

westdog54
18-06-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm not trying to be snobby or a wannabe footy elitist or anything I just see it as a pantomime as Jeemak says and I don't find it funny. All of the humour seems to be exclusively at the expense of others and there is more footy relevance on this board than there has been throughout the history of that show, with the exception of the episode when Doug found out that EJ had passed. .

In fairness, there was a lot more relevant content when Eddie was host.

Love him or Loathe him, he kept the show on track and kept Sam in check for the most part.

He's got Carte Blanche to do and say whatever he wants without fear or reprisal with Lyon and JB Hosting.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-06-2015, 04:51 PM
Watch Marngrook instead it's my favourite footy show

1eyedog
18-06-2015, 04:52 PM
True but the constant Collingwood references and Eddie-Bucks lovein piss takes made it all wrong for different reasons. But yes, it has become progressively worse through time.

Greystache
18-06-2015, 05:29 PM
True but the constant Collingwood references and Eddie-Bucks lovein piss takes made it all wrong for different reasons. But yes, it has become progressively worse through time.

Like most free to air TV these days it continues to cater to a lower and lower common denominator every year. Like it or not, uncultured lower income earners spend money far more freely than their more sophisticated peers, and therefore are a target rich audience for advertisers. TV networks aim to deliver advertisers the audience they demand, hence the never ending dumbing down of Australian TV.

Remi Moses
18-06-2015, 06:02 PM
I thought the footy show died in about 1995

hujsh
18-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Like most free to air TV these days it continues to cater to a lower and lower common denominator every year. Like it or not, uncultured lower income earners spend money far more freely than their more sophisticated peers, and therefore are a target rich audience for advertisers. TV networks aim to deliver advertisers the audience they demand, hence the never ending dumbing down of Australian TV.

Is it a case of poorer people spending more money or more that there is simply more lower/middle income earners than high income earners? Networks need advertising and advertising needs sales so you go with quantity above all else.

I'm not convinced it's simply a case of 'sophistication' or financial restraint so much as one brand of toilet paper needing to outsell the other brand by 2.5%

Greystache
18-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Is it a case of poorer people spending more money or more that there is simply more lower/middle income earners than high income earners? Networks need advertising and advertising needs sales so you go with quantity above all else.

I'm not convinced it's simply a case of 'sophistication' or financial restraint so much as one brand of toilet paper needing to outsell the other brand by 2.5%

Without derailing the thread too much. Lower income (not talking about middle class at all) unsophisticated consumers outspend other demographics. They spend spend and spend more, on average 110% of what they net, and by and large on disposable/depreciating items. They're an advertisers dream. Which is why virtually every free to air TV show caters to them (plus shows that appeal to them are usually cheap to produce such as reality TV)

Other demographics save, invest, and consume at more manageable levels. None of which produce the same level of return per advertising dollar invested.

Before moving into strategy I worked in the bank's portfolio analytics area.

hujsh
19-06-2015, 12:02 AM
Without derailing the thread too much. Lower income (not talking about middle class at all) unsophisticated consumers outspend other demographics. They spend spend and spend more, on average 110% of what they net, and by and large on disposable/depreciating items. They're an advertisers dream. Which is why virtually every free to air TV show caters to them (plus shows that appeal to them are usually cheap to produce such as reality TV)

Other demographics save, invest, and consume at more manageable levels. None of which produce the same level of return per advertising dollar invested.

Before moving into strategy I worked in the bank's portfolio analytics area.

Just starting work in a bank in a collections position and it does seem that a lot of people I talk to with credit card and personal loan debts they struggle to manage are in casual positions.

Interesting, thanks for the insights.

Go_Dogs
21-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Jake had a brief moment of midfield magic last night when he won a centre clearance and baulked his way out of the congestion.

He's kicking goals relatively consistently, so I'm reluctant to take him too far from the goal face, but for his development, I'd love for him to start in the centre square for perhaps 3-5 clearances a game.

On a slightly different note, I understand BT has determined Jake will now be known as The Package. I'm not quite sure where I sit on it for the moment - thoughts?

F'scary
21-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Jake had a brief moment of midfield magic last night when he won a centre clearance and baulked his way out of the congestion.

He's kicking goals relatively consistently, so I'm reluctant to take him too far from the goal face, but for his development, I'd love for him to start in the centre square for perhaps 3-5 clearances a game.

On a slightly different note, I understand BT has determined Jake will now be known as The Package. I'm not quite sure where I sit on it for the moment - thoughts?

Given the media's penchant for ignoring us, any publicity is welcome. Yeah! We have the player who is known in the AFL as Mr Highlights Package! Or "The Package" for short.

Go_Dogs
21-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Given the media's penchant for ignoring us, any publicity is welcome. Yeah! We have the player who is known in the AFL as Mr Highlights Package! Or "The Package" for short.

Good point - I tend to agree. If he keeps up his current form he'll soon be a household name.

LostDoggy
21-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Stringer hadn't really had any success when playing in the middle until last night. It was extremely pleasing to see.

What a special player we have.

bornadog
21-06-2015, 11:03 AM
A couple of times Stringer played some dumb football and one of those paid off.

In the first when he just slammed the ball forward to no one - really unforgivable that kick.

In the last when Grant was on his own two metres away and 30 metres from goal on the boundary line, begging for it and Stringer just ignored him and kicked across the ground straight to a Brisbane player in the middle of the ground.

In the third when Grant was on his own in the goal square but he elected to kick a freak goal.

He has his flaws but he is a game breaker as well.

Go_Dogs
21-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Pretty sure the one he kicked he just didn't see Grant, and thankfully his kick went through.

lemmon
21-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Pretty sure the one he kicked he just didn't see Grant, and thankfully his kick went through.

Not only just that but he's kicking over his left shoulder while heading straight at the boundary. It would have been physically impossible bend the ball far enough to hit Grant

The bulldog tragician
21-06-2015, 01:02 PM
We call him The Lair. Lairs do special, unbelievable, freaky things. Lairs sometimes do selfish, frustrating, non team oriented things, because ... well, because they're lairs.

Jake should not have attempted to out mark T Boyd, but he did. Jake should not have been able to pull off virtually all last nights party tricks, but he did. We have a unique special talent who will drag people through the turnstiles, we have someone who wants to win the game off his own boot, we have someone who flies for unrealistic speckies, who misses regulation shots but kicks them from difficult angles. I don't think we've ever had a player quite like Jake The Lair Stringer. What will he do for us on the big stage one day? I can't wait!

SonofScray
21-06-2015, 02:57 PM
He is a terrific talent, a mercurial player. I don't mean mercurial in the language of AFL euphemisms either i.e: smart arse squib, or the more racially covert way of attributing skill to "black magic." Mercurial in the true sense of the word. He is quick, has a varying temperament and in terms of his influence on a contest can have violent reactions. A damaging player inside 50, he has players beat before the ball is in his hands a lot of the time.

When you watch the Australian Baseball League you see a few blokes step up to the plate/mound who ooze Big League Swagger. They know they are on their way to the majors in the US. Jake has whatever we want to describe footy's version of that as. His body language suggests to all others that he is better than you and will take the opportunity to demonstrate it. Then he does.

He is likely going to be a solid midfield option as well, but I'd like to see him get 10 touches inside 50 most weeks and be a chance to kick 5 or so goals. He has a nose for goal.

comrade
21-06-2015, 03:21 PM
I expected to kick a goal whenever he got near it last night.

He'll kick 10 one day.

chef
21-06-2015, 06:12 PM
He is 'the package'.

Will give Bonti a run for his money over the next decade in the battle of our best player. How lucky are we.

Bulldog4life
21-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Was interested to hear Bevo at the presser saying Stringer has to be more consistent in doing the forward pressure work and one per centers more regularly, or words to that effect

merantau
21-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Stringer is Strong and Mobile and he has the skills to complement those two essential assets - so important for the style of football we often see today i.e. lots of bodies around the ball.

Rocket Science
21-06-2015, 10:01 PM
We call him The Lair. Lairs do special, unbelievable, freaky things. Lairs sometimes do selfish, frustrating, non team oriented things, because ... well, because they're lairs.

Jake should not have attempted to out mark T Boyd, but he did. Jake should not have been able to pull off virtually all last nights party tricks, but he did. We have a unique special talent who will drag people through the turnstiles, we have someone who wants to win the game off his own boot, we have someone who flies for unrealistic speckies, who misses regulation shots but kicks them from difficult angles. I don't think we've ever had a player quite like Jake The Lair Stringer. What will he do for us on the big stage one day? I can't wait!

The same giddy thought entered my head during the game last night.

He's going to positively tear apart a final for us one day. It is written.

FrediKanoute
22-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Scary. He is scary. He has strength, speed, agility and he is a footballer.

craigsahibee
22-06-2015, 09:34 AM
I did like BT's comparison of Jake with Phil Carman. Spot on I reckon.

It's going to be fun watching him over the next decade.

bornadog
22-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Bulldog Mitch Wallis tips teammate Jake Stringer to be one of the best (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldog-mitch-wallis-tips-teammate-jake-stringer-to-be-one-of-the-best-20150621-ghtppv.html)

Ozza
22-06-2015, 10:02 AM
In his 38 game career, we've already seen Stringer kick 6 once, kick 5 twice, and 4 bags of 4.

Joe Daniher is probably the big name forward to have come through at the same time. Joe, in 37 games, has kicked one bag of 6, and one bag of 4.

always right
22-06-2015, 05:35 PM
When are opposition teams going to realise he almost never offloads the ball immediately? He makes watching the footy fun.

Dancin' Douggy
22-06-2015, 06:09 PM
That game was the start of what I'm expecting from Jake. Just an absolutely dominant presence whenever, and wherever he has the ball. AND I think that's just the tip of the iceberg. He's gonna start taking more and more big pack marks as he gains more confidence in his leg. He's gonna DESTROY teams. A 10 goal game is just around the corner.

bornadog
22-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Another goal of the year nomination this week as well.

Dazza
22-06-2015, 06:21 PM
This kid will be our best player.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Agree wholeheartedly with the positive comments regarding Jake. But i also believe he will shine even more when he matures and is able to better judge when he should take the game on and when it is best to be prudent. Reading between the lines I think Bevo is looking for him to learn this too.
Whilst he can tear a game apart with brilliance, he needs to temper this and know when it is called for. Because whilst like on Saturday it can come off beautifully, often its a low percentage option and it is more often than not going to cost us than it is to help us.
Especially as teams put time into him and realise he always tries to break tackles as the first option, or fly for marks when others are in a better position or go for freaky goals when he has open teammates in better position.

lemmon
22-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Encouraging that he did some good things up the ground as well. There was one point where he took the footy from a stoppage at half back, went straight through the pack and up the middle of the ground. What a weapon we have with this kid. Needs to tidy his kicking but wow

jazzadogs
22-06-2015, 08:33 PM
I can see what Bevo was talking about. It was mentioned a few times on the coverage "gee stringer is miles out the back here", and while this could be because he is just reading the play well I think it is actually because he sits back and doesn't chase his opponent up the ground.

This shows great confidence in his teammates to win the ball and get it down to him, and will force his opponents to be accountable, but I think this is why he has days where he has no impact and I won't be surprised if teams start putting 'attacking' defenders on him to try and exploit it.

LostDoggy
22-06-2015, 11:16 PM
I think he's a coach's dream, but a modern day coach's worst nightmare at the same time. And I'm fine with that. I'm sick of watching coaches roll out 22 blokes following procedure, I want to watch blokes like Stringer, Rioli, Wingard go about their stuff and show their talents. If that means we cop the odd loss when they have an off day and are a liability I'm cool with that. Uncertainty makes it seem more like, I dunno, a sport?

BornInDroopSt'54
23-06-2015, 10:29 AM
When are opposition teams going to realise he almost never offloads the ball immediately? He makes watching the footy fun.

Not only that, he has the ball before it comes to him. He had in his mind to goal before he received that ball where Grant was running into the goal square.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-06-2015, 10:32 AM
I can see what Bevo was talking about. It was mentioned a few times on the coverage "gee stringer is miles out the back here", and while this could be because he is just reading the play well I think it is actually because he sits back and doesn't chase his opponent up the ground.

This shows great confidence in his teammates to win the ball and get it down to him, and will force his opponents to be accountable, but I think this is why he has days where he has no impact and I won't be surprised if teams start putting 'attacking' defenders on him to try and exploit it.

At their peril.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2015, 10:35 AM
I've been saying and thinking he's more like Mark Riccuito, but I'm warming to thinking he could be more Ablett Senior - if he gets his set shots down pat. His highlights package from Saturday was absolutely Ablett Senior esc. If set shots and consistency happen, then perhaps I can see why Macca said he would've been the best AFL player he'd been involved with. But there's two ifs predicating the assumption.

bornadog
23-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Jake in team of the week.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/TOTW-HF-2015rd12.jpg

westdog54
23-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Saw that. They put a Caveat on it, stating that they named him at CHF even though that's not really the role he was playing, but his performance on Saturday couldn't be ignored.

Twodogs
23-06-2015, 03:46 PM
That's a pretty fair half forward line.

Ozza
23-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Not only that, he has the ball before it comes to him. He had in his mind to goal before he received that ball where Grant was running into the goal square.

Stringer was interviewed on the Sunday after the game, and he mentioned that he never saw Grant in the square at all until after he'd kicked the ball, so was pretty relieved it bounced through.

stefoid
23-06-2015, 05:32 PM
I thought that was the case watching the replay.

On Stringer vs Ablett - Stringer's marking would have to improve a lot.

1eyedog
23-06-2015, 05:37 PM
At their peril.

Agreed, don't stuff up coming out of the back half or turn the ball over in the middle of the ground. If you do and The Package has 5 metres on the opposition or is on a lesser player it's goal time.

I don't think any opposition coach would be stupid enough to put an attacking defender on Jakey. You look at your defenders 190-192 who aren't slow and can at the least defend and then hope for the best.

Dancin' Douggy
23-06-2015, 05:40 PM

Correct Stefoid. And I reckon it will.

1eyedog
23-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Stringer will go down as one of the very best ever I reckon. He's already better than Hird and Buckley:p Must hold onto him at all costs.

Twodogs
23-06-2015, 05:48 PM

It would but he's starting to do things that only Ablett did on a regular basis.

Bulldog Joe
23-06-2015, 06:03 PM

He is only in his 3rd year.

But you can guarantee he will never be paid some of the marks that Ablett was allowed.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Have heard the Riccuito comparisons a fair bit and I see what they mean from a raging powerful bull standpoint, but not sure if Riccuito had the forward prowess as Stringer does.

Greystache
23-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Have heard the Riccuito comparisons a fair bit and I see what they mean from a raging powerful bull standpoint, but not sure if Riccuito had the forward prowess as Stringer does.

Riccuto only kicked more than 20 goals in a season twice, his career best of 44 came in his second last season. Stringer's already done it twice and is on target to beat Riccuto's highest tally this season.

The Doctor
23-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Riccuito was a bull midfielder and one of the best I have seen. He played forward when the need required him to do so. Riccuito also dominated against the very best opposition making him an elite player and was also a very strong leader. I liked him better than his peers of that era ie Buckley, Hird etc, but then again I like the tough nuts.

I don't think the Stringer comparisons with him are accurate in terms of being like for like players. I see Stringer as a genuine forward, a guy who can pull a goal out of a hat. We are very lucky to have him as they are very hard to find. Stringer also has opportunist capabilities, like dare I say it Steve Milne, but also has more classic key forward attributes by virtue of his ability to mark strongly and impose himself in a physical contest.

1eyedog
23-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Just on Ablett will Jake predominately play as a forward like Ablett (even though later in his career Ablett did play on a wing) or can he transition to full time mid? Some of his bursts out of general play on Saturday night were simply breathtaking.

hujsh
24-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Just on Ablett will Jake predominately play as a forward like Ablett (even though later in his career Ablett did play on a wing) or can he transition to full time mid? Some of his bursts out of general play on Saturday night were simply breathtaking.

Some of his deliveries into the forward line the last two weeks has me thinking forward at this stage

Bulldog4life
25-06-2015, 08:47 PM

I remember at the start of his career he started on the wing playing for Hawthorn.