PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs Captain for 2015

Ozza
20-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Time to select a new captain (apologies if there is a poll already elsewhere that I've missed);

Amongst the chaos of losing captain and coach in recent weeks, and the acquisition of Tom Boyd, the captain discussion has taken a little bit of a backseat.

There are a number of options - with probably two main philosophies, of whether it is a short term captain of 1-2 years before a younger player is ready. Or a younger captain that would be seen to be a leader for a longer period.

Either option has some merit.

Sedat
20-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Bob for mine. He could do the job comfortably for 2 years.

If he still has the passion for the game, I actually think he could play for 3 more year and not fall off a cliff with his physical attributes. Those durable and wiry types always seem to last longer.

1eyedog
20-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Murph for mine but he's got a busy life outside of football, family, music, media commitments so if he is prepared to pick up the slack and be the face of the club then he's my choice. I think we need a proactive captain and while Bob is certainly media savvy and well known it depends on whether he can commit.

KT31
20-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Bob for mine. He could do the job comfortably for 2 years.

If he still has the passion for the game, I actually think he could play for 3 more year and not fall off a cliff with his physical attributes. Those durable and wiry types always seem to last longer.

My sentiments as well, he led from the front when he held the position for a couple of games this season and i could not think of a better candidate for our younger players to come to if there was an issue.

comrade
20-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Morris shouldn't have been made skipper when Boydy got the job.

Experienced, tough, professional and is respected by all and sundry. Whilst he doesn't have the media credentials of Bob, I think as a transition captain he fits the bill perfectly.

Of course, this is on the proviso he wants the job.

Murphy'sLore
20-10-2014, 01:49 PM
I think for the next couple of years especially, we need a captain who is comfortable fronting the media and representing the club publically. Bob's passion and eloquence will serve us well while the younger guys mature, and one of them will be ready to take over by the time Bob retires.

azabob
20-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Morris shouldn't have been made skipper when Boydy got the job.

Experienced, tough, professional and is respected by all and sundry. Whilst he doesn't have the media credentials of Bob, I think as a transition captain he fits the bill perfectly.

Of course, this is on the proviso he wants the job.

To clarify you want Morris?

bornadog
20-10-2014, 01:59 PM
For me its a toss up between Wallis and Roughead. I think we need a young player with good leadership qualities. Loved to have seen Murphy up there a few years ago, but given the list is so young now, i think it would be great to have a young Captain.

boydogs
20-10-2014, 02:03 PM
For me its a toss up between Wallis and Roughead. I think we need a young player with good leadership qualities. Loved to have seen Murphy up there a few years ago, but given the list is so young now, i think it would be great to have a young Captain.

Wallis is too fringe at this stage to be captain in 2015, you need your captain to be cemented in your best 18. I would give it 2 years with Murphy first

LostDoggy
20-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Roughead needs to focus on his body and keep working on his defensive craft. Wallis needs to entrench himself into the best 22 before we can even think about naming him captain.

Murphy seems a smart choice, give him 2 years and see which of the young brigade want to stand up.

I can personally see Hrovat being our captain in 2 years. There was a game this year he started the sub and I was sitting right near the interchange, the amount of direction and guidance he was giving, not only young players, but also some of the veterans was great to see.

azabob
20-10-2014, 02:07 PM
It will be a interesting and tough decision for the new coach and MC. Do we let the players have a saying in the leadership group and captain?

Dancin' Douggy
20-10-2014, 02:13 PM
It simply has to be Bob.
We need his name to be SOMEWHERE on hour honour board.

soupman
20-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Murphy and Morris as co-captains for mine.

Both leaders on field, Murphy to be the more the more prominent one in the media allowing Morris to concentrate more on behind the scenes stuff.

This way it shares the workload between two strong leaders and doesn't place all the time commitments on one mans shoulders.

Rocket Science
20-10-2014, 02:30 PM

A perfect solution I'd think.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Bonts reminds me of Carey in aura, skill and leadership. Like Carey, masking him Csptain eArly is bold, but good move.

BulldogBelle
20-10-2014, 03:14 PM
We don't need to put any extra pressure on our young players yet.
Murphy for now then Roughead.

w3design
20-10-2014, 03:17 PM
We don't need to put any extra pressure on our young players yet.
Murphy for now then Roughead.

I've had the exact same thought all along....

Murphy'sLore
20-10-2014, 03:20 PM

I'd be happy with that. But no more than two captains, otherwise it just gets messy and confusing.

Ozza
20-10-2014, 03:30 PM
I asked the question, so I guess I should answer it.

While I'd be very happy for Bob to be captain (he has been the ultimate bulldog man, and a great embassador for the club), I'm slightly favouring Morris myself.

This is not to say that Bob isn't loved by all at the club - but from the outside looking in, Moz seems to be well loved and respected by all (young and older) and presents a calm, determined presence in all scenarios. I think he is the stable figure that we need right now, and he is more than presentable in the media etc.

I see the likes of Rough and Wal etc - as needing to establish themselves more as players before taking on the responsibility.
I am very against the idea of any of the really young crop being given more responsibility - I just want them to focus on being unbelievable footballers - and when they are ready - the captaincy will become something the right man from the young gun crop will assume when the time is right.

KT31
20-10-2014, 04:23 PM
I asked the question, so I guess I should answer it. .
Sounds just like my Misses.;)

Ghost Dog
20-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Morris and Murph as co-captains - great suggestion Soupaman.

Remi Moses
20-10-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm all for the co- captains call as well.

Pickenitup
20-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Bob For Mine then Roughy takes over in 2016

whythelongface
20-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Not a fan of the co-captaincy model as it creates blurred lines, particularly in regards to responsibility, and one captain can be favoured over another. Not saying that this would happen with Murphy and Morris. Right now what we need is a real leader amongst our men. Someone that has a passion for the football club and can not only lead on the field but critically be able to motivate our players. Not sure who that is - whether it is Murph or Roughy or someone else for that matter - we just need someone that can genuinely lead.

comrade
20-10-2014, 08:29 PM
To clarify you want Morris?

Yes, my bad.

dadsgirl16
21-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Definitely Bob for mine

BornInDroopSt'54
21-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Bob was born to become leader now, his horoscope at birth knew this would happen. Ditto with Morris for vice captain. Younger guys way too young and yet to have team success. Gough Whitlam dies, Bob becomes captain, a logical synchronicity.

bornadog
14-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Bevo not adverse to a one year Captain - Murphy it is.

BulldogBelle
14-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Bevo not adverse to a one year Captain - Murphy it is.

Thought exactly the same thing when when Bevo said that in the press conference.

Ozza
14-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Well, resounding support for Bob Murphy in the poll, with 73.85% of the vote.

We have a clear supporter favourite.

Bullies
14-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Nick Maxwell wasnt cemented in the team when he took on the captaincy. Wallis is a certainty in our best 22. Definitely captain material just like his old man.

BulldogBelle
16-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Nick Maxwell wasnt cemented in the team when he took on the captaincy. Wallis is a certainty in our best 22. Definitely captain material just like his old man.

See your point but for mine he is to young and l would not like to put extra pressure on him at this stage.
Murphy for 1 or 2 years and then we will see from there.

bornadog
17-11-2014, 02:03 PM
L (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-11-16/skipper-in-short-time)INK

New captain appointment to come quickly

The hard work begins first thing Monday morning for new Western Bulldogs Senior Coach Luke Beveridge, and one of his first tasks will be appointing a captain.

In an interview with the Sunday Herald Sun, Beveridge revealed it was an appointment he is keen to see occur promptly, and a decision that all stakeholders within the football department will have input into.

“That will happen pretty quickly…we will be looking to make an announcement by the end of the week,” Beveridge told the Sunday Herald Sun.

“It is important we have a captain in place. Will make sure that the decision will be a collaborative one, and that means with the players and coaching staff.”

A preference for experience or youth in the key leadership role is something Beveridge says he will be guided on by the players.

“The players will have a big say in it,” Beveridge said.

“If their recommendation is for a younger guy, then it might be a younger guy. We will work through all this as soon as we can. It will definitely happen straight away.”

mitch0418
17-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Bob Murphy for my choice ... Nothing against Boyd but I always thought Bob was the man given his on field leadership and love for the red, white and blue. I still think he can play another 2 seasons and hopefully by then it is more obvious who from the younger guys should take over the reins.

LostDoggy
17-11-2014, 03:26 PM
I agree, Murphy should be the next captain but I don't agree that he loves the club anymore than what Boyd does.

LostDoggy
17-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Dale Morris is a must.

Scraggers
17-11-2014, 05:37 PM
I would love for Murphy to be the captain, and if not then Morris ... BUT ... My concern is that both Murph and Morris are on one year contracts/extensions.

What we need right now is stability in our club, not an interim one-year captain.

Jeanette54
17-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Whilst Dale Morris is far and away my favourite bulldog, my choice for skipper would be Matthew Boyd. I think he has a more aggressive approach to the game than either Dale or Bob Murphy, and plays in the engine room where he can lead by example (as he always has). I don't believe that there was ever any question of his captaincy, and was personally a little surprised when Ryan Griffin got the job.

ratsmac
17-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Bob gets my vote. Morris is a close second but he doesn't come across as a captain to me for some reason. I don't know him personally so I am probably way off the mark. Bobby probably because of seeing him in the media more comes across as a better candidate.

always right
18-11-2014, 10:35 AM
It's been a tumultuous off season so far. Reckon appointing Murph captain....even if just for one year....would be a good marketing exercise from a supporter perspective, not discounting the fact that he would be good at the role.

He is in many respects the public face of the club, is popular with supporters, and is a smart player. I would have thought he is not only a stabalizing influence but a marketer's dream from our club's perspective.

Smads57
19-11-2014, 05:44 PM
I'd like to put forward Stewart Crameri as a left of field option. He is around the right age, guaranteed to play in our best 22 and seems comfortable in front of the camera. With Gia now retired, I would expect him to be the forward line "on field leader" anyway. Otherwise Murph or Morris - like em both!

LostDoggy
19-11-2014, 05:54 PM
I'd like to put forward Stewart Crameri as a left of field option. He is around the right age, guaranteed to play in our best 22 and seems comfortable in front of the camera. With Gia now retired, I would expect him to be the forward line "on field leader" anyway. Otherwise Murph or Morris - like em both!

Um, Smads, he's potentially about to be rubbed out for an extended period.

hujsh
20-11-2014, 01:53 AM
Um, Smads, he's potentially about to be rubbed out for an extended period.

Well he'll have plenty of free time to do the media stuff then

LostDoggy
20-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Bobby Rascal Murphy for me.Should have happened last year but was given to previous player#16 to coax him out of his introverted shell to be moe of a leader in the senior player core group.
All went to poo which pushed him into an unhealthy head space apparentley but ultimateley brought the Tommy Boyd deal forward a year.

Axe Man
21-11-2014, 10:40 AM
New captain to be announced at 12:30pm today.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Anyone else really looking forward to listening Bob speak as Captain?

He's an icon of this football club.

bulldogtragic
21-11-2014, 01:20 PM

Yep, I know it won't happen, but I want his charisma and rascal side to be ever present in the media unlike the some of the boring captains who take themselves too seriously. His twitter account may just double of the back of captaincy!

KT31
21-11-2014, 01:54 PM

Well respected and admired in the Football world not just the club.

Ghost Dog
21-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Well. Guess there's no danger of Bob throwing in the towel and leaving for GWS.

Drafted with the Club’s first selection (13th overall) in the 1999 AFL Draft, Murphy has played 271 games and kicked 171 goals since debuting in Round 19, 2000. What a great return for a skinny lad.