PDA

View Full Version : Which KKP might suit our team's needs?

LostDoggy
06-11-2007, 11:21 PM
There has been a lot of discussion as to which KKP we might select in the this year's draft. All of these players are young men with under developed bodies, and player we select with our #5 pick, we expect to become a long term key position forward.

History shows that key position forwards come in various shapes and size, and with varying attributes.

At FF, we’ve seen Paul Salmon (very tall and lean in his early days, who could take a pack mark, and lead), Tony Lockett (tall and solid, fast on the lead, and could take a pack mark), or Gary Ablett (smaller bodied, agile, strong, very fast leading forward).

At CHF, we’ve seen Robert Walls (tall, lean, and agile), Dermot Brereton (reasonably tall, fast, high flying mark), and Jonathon Brown (tall, strong, and big bodied).

All are quiet different in the way they play their position, and their respective teams played a game style to utilize their skills.

Many have stated Stephen Tiller, our current FF with his body size, isn’t the answer as a key position player (more like a second or third forward).

So, given the current Bulldogs team and the style of game they play:

What key forward position, do the dogs really need to fill?
What build and attributes should that player have?
Who in the 2007 draft (given their current attributes and allowing for body change) might fit this specific need?

In short, what new ‘Doggy’ - ‘Doo’ we really need to draft?

Dogs 24/7
06-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Great thought starter. We actually need to fill both positions and in real terms we only have stop gap players pencilled in at the moment

I'll go with a full forward

Height - at least 193cm tall
Attributes - Pace and marking ability
Our list - McDougall

I think he is better suited to defence but on paper he ticks most of the boxes.

Draft wise Henderson, McEvoy, Grant, Gaertner and Gourdis fit all of our needs although Grant might be a cm short.

wimberga
06-11-2007, 11:34 PM
I think a CHF would be first on the list. Tiller can hopefully hold down a leading FF role. Whichever player we get to fill the void at CHF, i think they would have to be tall enough and physically strong enough to drop deep into FF in the case of us having to bomb it long to a contest. Height and Strength are important for taking pack marks and crashing packs for crumbers, but Football Smarts and Good hands/boot are just as important, so an even mix of those would be crucial. In this day and age being agile/fast is almost mandatory, so i guess that would be the case too.

As for the draft of those attributes, i have no idea. Ask me in a few years :)

LostDoggy
07-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Jonathan Brown type will do

southerncross
07-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Jonathan Brown type will do

Obviously but there isn't one in the draft is there?

LostDoggy
07-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Is there? Who knows! Just answering the question mate. Pie in the sky....

Dry Rot
07-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Is there? Who knows! Just answering the question mate. Pie in the sky....

Do you have any preference for one of the talls likely to be available for us?

wimberga
07-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Pick 5 seems to be about McEvoy, Henderson or Rance.

Pick 19 seems less sure to be a KPP, but possibly Grant

Probably dont know enough about the draft, but id say id like Henderson at pick 5 just on what everyone else is saying IF we are going for a KPP with that pick

Go_Dogs
07-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Pick 5 seems to be about McEvoy, Henderson or Rance.

Pick 19 seems less sure to be a KPP, but possibly Grant

Probably dont know enough about the draft, but id say id like Henderson at pick 5 just on what everyone else is saying IF we are going for a KPP with that pick

I wouldn't be so sure. I think the first pick will certainly be one of the super athletic talls, and whilst Henderson tested reasonably well at draft camp (his results actually surprised me considering some of the talk about him being perhaps a bit slow, and a bit of an old school forward type from bits and pieces I've read), there are others who I think we may like more.

Who knows though, all we can do is guess based on limited information.

LostDoggy
07-11-2007, 10:43 PM
I think we need someone who can take a contested mark which seems to be our downfall.
Johnson seems to be the onyl one who can do it.

Think of some of the players we've come up against where you just know that everytime they kick it inside 50 it'll be a mark, free kick or a contest in favour of the attacking crumbers (teams like St. Kilda and Geelong come to mind).

Doogs is a possibility but I really like his work in the backline so far.

Not sure who can do the job in the draft??

LostDoggy
07-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Doogs is a possibility but I really like his work in the backline so far.

I am with you too. I really liked the work of Doogs in the backline during the last few games.

If can play there and build his confidence of playing in the seniors consistently he may be able to move forward?