PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Rookie List replenishment?

F'scary
21-10-2014, 10:10 PM
One way or another, we will have 4 vacant rookie spots to fill

Just putting it out there to see if any Woofers have thoughts or ideas about how best to use these spots given that our senior list is going to be getting even younger after the national draft.

How about 1 rookie spot for an out-of-left field recruitment. There are two 22 yo basketballers from the USA who have passed a number of scrutinies to make it to the draft stage. Could one of them be worth a shot or should we be looking for safer bets and more probable developers who could take a senior list spot in 2 to 3 years?

Here are the USA candidates stats:

Marvin Baynham (USA)
23.3.1992 Height: 198cm Weight: 97kg
Potential Ruckman or Tall Defender from Miami, Florida in USA with college basketball, American Football and track background. Has elite speed (2.82 seconds for 20m) and exciting overall athletic ability, excelling at USA Combine in Los Angeles in April 2014.

Evan Bruinsma (USA)
9.9.1992 Height: 197cm Weight: 93kg

Potential Ruckman or Tall Defender from Michigan with a college basketball and high school soccer background playing as a centre back. His x-factor is his vertical leap and showed at the USA Combine he could quickly adapt to AFL ball with his kicking and competitive nature.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Pretty sure they can be international rookies and are not counted in the main rookie list, could be very wrong.

I think a young ruckman, KPP (prefer defender), two mids/running types.

azabob
21-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Agree on your player type BT.

What age bracket for the defender?

Do we think Foster will get a spot?

GVGjr
21-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Unless Foster is selected by another side I believe we will rookie him.

F'scary
21-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Pretty sure they can be international rookies and are not counted in the main rookie list, could be very wrong.

I think a young ruckman, KPP (prefer defender), two mids/running types.

Additional international rookies! Interesting. I'll check this out.

Could it be good for the club culture to have an international rookie?

GVGjr
21-10-2014, 10:23 PM
I don't think we need to do anything too flash with our rookies:

1) Look for a couple players capable of coming in and playing some senior football if required
2) Pick the balance of players that could be late bloomers ie Foster and Will Hayes.

We already have a young list and we can't have too many project players that distract our coaching resources.

F'scary
21-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Found the relevant paragraphs:

In addition to these six rookie-listed players, each club can include up to three additional players (now referred to as Category B rookies) on its Rookie List provided the player either:

• has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
• is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;
• is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;
• is a former International Scholarship player with that club;

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

Some food for thought, perhaps?

F'scary
21-10-2014, 10:29 PM
I don't think we need to do anything too flash with our rookies:

1) Look for a couple players capable of coming in and playing some senior football if required
2) Pick the balance of players that could be late bloomers ie Foster and Will Hayes.

We already have a young list and we can't have too many project players that distract our coaching resources.

Pretty fair point since we are headed towards adding something like 8 players under 20yo to the Senior list by Christmas.

Bulldog Revolution
21-10-2014, 11:00 PM
I'll be disappointed if we go with an international rookie

We should just pick an aussie kid who has played footy

bulldogtragic
21-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Agree on your player type BT.

What age bracket for the defender?

Do we think Foster will get a spot?

With all the Boyd hype I forgot about Jayden. GVGJR info is what Ive heard too, but that person said Jones was a lock to stay too. I'd look at him, some Footscray kids looked like a bit of OK. I agree with GVGJR that mature back up is a part of the balance. A state league defender might be good. I'd look at that type defender, Fossie, a Footscray player and a kid midfielder. I can live with a young ruck next year if Roughie players second ruck, forward. A bit like a chicken-egg scenario.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2014, 11:26 PM

Isn't just minimum wage and a non list spot? Too much of a problem?

soupman
22-10-2014, 10:59 AM

It's a free hit so you wouldn't be signing them at an Aussie kids expense. We could have both.

It could even be a cross-sport convert, like Geelong did with Blicavs (sp?)

Pickenitup
22-10-2014, 05:25 PM
I have heard a little rumour we may rookie Tom Young.
What do people think about that?

GVGjr
22-10-2014, 05:39 PM
For the National Draft I would focus solely on guys from the Under 18 elite pathway or a decent state league footballer.
For the rookie draft I would have a serious look at Will Hayes (Footscray), Luke Thompson (Adelaide) Jayden Foster (Calder Cannons) and maybe Jordan Russell (Footscray). There is a couple Geelong boys worth considering but I need to see if we cut into the list any deeper.

GVGjr
22-10-2014, 05:40 PM

I wouldn't be against it. He would be a solid rookie prospect.

Bulldog Joe
22-10-2014, 05:49 PM
It seems some thinking on the Rookie List is to have cover for senior players who suffer LTI.

I understand that process and a few clubs have employed that, although the only really successful use was Pods at Geelong.

Our success with the rookies has been to bring in additional talent that can develop into best 22 like we have done with Morris, Boyd, Dahlhaus and JJ.

If we go down the path of Young, Russell etc we are missing the chance to unearth real talent.

If we consider Russell to be worth a spot, I would prefer the main list so he can play if needed and not because someone is going to miss at least 8 weeks.

Downgrading a senior player that has had opportunity would seem a fruitless excercise, unless the main list player had problems with injury that had seriously restricted opportunity. From our current list, I would see Pearce and Fuller as maybe meeting that criteria.

I would certainly not support a rookie spot for Tom Young.

GVGjr
22-10-2014, 06:14 PM
It seems some thinking on the Rookie List is to have cover for senior players who suffer LTI.

I understand that process and a few clubs have employed that, although the only really successful use was Pods at Geelong.

Our success with the rookies has been to bring in additional talent that can develop into best 22 like we have done with Morris, Boyd, Dahlhaus and JJ.

If we go down the path of Young, Russell etc we are missing the chance to unearth real talent.

If we consider Russell to be worth a spot, I would prefer the main list so he can play if needed and not because someone is going to miss at least 8 weeks.

Downgrading a senior player that has had opportunity would seem a fruitless excercise, unless the main list player had problems with injury that had seriously restricted opportunity. From our current list, I would see Pearce and Fuller as maybe meeting that criteria.

I would certainly not support a rookie spot for Tom Young.

There are 6 rookies and I think I'd like to see 2 of them capable of being promoted in case of injuries ie already with some senior experience. I certainly don't think selecting 2 guys with some experience inhibits the development of the younger players in the slightest.
To your point about how the rookie list has provided us with some very good players, well I think 4 of them on the younger side covers that or our recruiting team isn't really doing the job.

I get your point about Russell but equally if Austin isn't promoted to the senior list I'd really like to see someone like Luke Thompson as a rookie in case we lose a a tall defender to a LTI.

We still have a few days to go to finalise the list so maybe a Pearce or Fuller might still be offered a spot like that.

Remi Moses
22-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Was Thompson the player that came in for Davis and Bock and looked alright?
Did he have shoulder issues as well?

Axe Man
22-10-2014, 06:37 PM
There are 6 rookies

I would be surprised if we had 6 rookies, that would mean either we go 2 short on the primary list or sign some category B rookies (or a combination of the 2).

GVGjr
22-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I would be surprised if we had 6 rookies, that would mean either we go 2 short on the primary list or sign some category B rookies (or a combination of the 2).

Good point.

boydogs
22-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Good arguments for both sides, I was convinced by GVG that we already had enough young players on the main list for our coaches to worry about, then did a 180 when reading Bulldog Joe's post about our past rookie list successes.

Anyone that we may need to use in 2015 is probably best on the main list in place of Pearce, Austin, Redpath or Fuller, with the rookie list for project players that we need to put some time into before they are ready for AFL.

We really bolstered our coaching staff last year so hopefully they can manage

chef
22-10-2014, 07:54 PM

I wouldn't mind this.

Maddog37
22-10-2014, 08:03 PM
If Tom Young is to be rookied I would hope they find a new role for him. He cannot defend to save his life.

F'scary
22-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Was Thompson the player that came in for Davis and Bock and looked alright?
Did he have shoulder issues as well?

I would think Luke Thompson is a fair chance to be picked up as a DFA.

The Doctor
22-10-2014, 11:10 PM

He's proven he's not up to it so why bother. Give someone else a chance.

The Doctor
22-10-2014, 11:12 PM

I'd be very surprised if we had 6 rookies due to the Tom Boyd factor. I'm sure we'll be looking to trim the fat on our player wages bill so I suspect this will be where we start. That's how we usually roll.

Doc26
23-10-2014, 12:52 AM
I get your point about Russell but equally if Austin isn't promoted to the senior list I'd really like to see someone like Luke Thompson as a rookie in case we lose a a tall defender to a LTI.

We still have a few days to go to finalise the list so maybe a Pearce or Fuller might still be offered a spot like that.

I'm not keen on Luke Thompson as an option. Although he has the height on paper, he hasn't progressed in his four years at the Crows, when given the opportunity he too often looks lost with ball in flight, not hard enough at the contest, appears to lack a fierce competitive spirit and even though he has the height he seems to play more as a mid size defender than as a legitimate back up option for a KPP LTI.

I'd be more inclined to go the Rusell path than consider the Thompson option although like others I'm not sold on this one either. Although I appreciate what he has brought to our VFL side, particularly his leadership and composure, I feel the gear up in pace and size would find Jordan out at the higher level.

LostDoggy
23-10-2014, 01:01 AM
He's proven he's not up to it so why bother. Give someone else a chance.

This. He has a crack but I agree with comments Macca made that his decision making would be (and was) his undoing. Saw everything I needed to see in the VFL Grannie. Tried hard; terrible instincts...

Would rather rookie Howard #notkidding

LostDoggy
23-10-2014, 01:09 AM
Wouldn't mind offering Cameron Conlon or Darcy Hourigan a slot. Both undrafted from 2013: 1 with injuries, 1 with a big fat bum. Both have some talent worth the punt of offering a rookie slot to in my eyes. The other one is Jesse Watchman from SA. Highly rated underager, had some issues this year as well and won't get drafted but a rookie slot would be worth the punt. Has talent and that doesn't just vanish. He's from SA though (as is Hourigan who I haven't seen anything of this year so may still have the big behind) so whether they would move and settle on a rookie wage is always a question. All of the above can play tall forward which despite Boyd we clearly still have a massive lack of depth in if Stringer and Crameri are ever going to get unleashed upfield.

Remi Moses
23-10-2014, 03:38 AM
Jordan Russell has the same issues at the higher level.
He just isn't hard enough at the higher level.

bulldogtragic
24-10-2014, 01:09 AM
If it's a choice between Mitch Brown on any list or Austin etc, I think I will take Brown as an outside chance to make it and depth is better than just a depth alone player.

KT31
24-10-2014, 01:34 AM
If it's a choice between Mitch Brown on any list or Austin etc, I think I will take Brown as an outside chance to make it and depth is better than just a depth alone player.

Don't rate Austin and if we are able to improve on him by any means it would make me happy.

LostDoggy
24-10-2014, 07:14 AM
Thought I read somewhere that the suns were going to delist broughton and attempt to re-rookie him. Maybe we could get in his ear and offer him a rookie position! Would be useful to our team as a mature age medium defender with an ability to rebound!! Played some good footy for both freo and the suns in past years!

azabob
24-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Isn't Brown the forward version of Austin though? Except a first round draft pick?

bulldogtragic
24-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Isn't Brown the forward version of Austin though? Except a first round draft pick?

I would play him back.

azabob
24-10-2014, 11:14 AM
I would play him back.

After I posted that, I saw the doctor also posted he can play defence.

Throughandthrough
24-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Wouldn't mind offering Cameron Conlon or Darcy Hourigan a slot. Both undrafted from 2013: 1 with injuries, 1 with a big fat bum. Both have some talent worth the punt of offering a rookie slot to in my eyes. The other one is Jesse Watchman from SA. Highly rated underager, had some issues this year as well and won't get drafted but a rookie slot would be worth the punt. Has talent and that doesn't just vanish. He's from SA though (as is Hourigan who I haven't seen anything of this year so may still have the big behind) so whether they would move and settle on a rookie wage is always a question. All of the above can play tall forward which despite Boyd we clearly still have a massive lack of depth in if Stringer and Crameri are ever going to get unleashed upfield.

Darcy Hourigan has just quit SANFL and playing Hills Footy in rAdelaide, South Adelaide not happy, especially if Brett Eddy gets drafted.

Hourigan had OP all year and did basically nothing.

boydogs
24-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Thought I read somewhere that the suns were going to delist broughton and attempt to re-rookie him. Maybe we could get in his ear and offer him a rookie position! Would be useful to our team as a mature age medium defender with an ability to rebound!! Played some good footy for both freo and the suns in past years!

Don't know why he hasn't kicked on, was a star a few years ago

Bandit
26-10-2014, 10:15 PM
At risk of being laughed off the forum with my first post. How about talking LRT out of retirement for a rookie spot. Experienced tall that can be played at both ends. Might not play all the time but could be a role player at times and by all reports has leadership qualities. Might not be as stupid as it sounds.

bornadog
27-10-2014, 12:04 AM
At risk of being laughed off the forum with my first post. How about talking LRT out of retirement for a rookie spot. Experienced tall that can be played at both ends. Might not play all the time but could be a role player at times and by all reports has leadership qualities. Might not be as stupid as it sounds.

Why not could do a Ben Hudson who came out of retirement to help out and he could mentor Talia and Roberts as well.

KT31
27-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Don't be to concerned about any backlash on here Bandit just take it with a grain of salt, most posters are quite tolerable and understand we don't all have their football nouse.
That said I can't see the advantage of losing a spot on the senior list for a bloke who would play next to no or any senior games when we could just employ him on our coaching staff or have him play with Footscray for the same result.

GVGjr
27-10-2014, 11:31 AM

Hard to get guys to come out of retirement if they have already planned out the next phase after their footy career but I'm not sure if this applies to LRT. The problem for LRT would be that he only played 9 senior games in the last two seasons. He missed most of 2013 with a knee injury and he had a calf injury last year. In his last 6 games in the NEAFL he hardly touched the ball.

That is a long time between drinks

Mofra
27-10-2014, 04:06 PM
How about talking LRT out of retirement for a rookie spot. Experienced tall that can be played at both ends. Might not play all the time but could be a role player at times and by all reports has leadership qualities. Might not be as stupid as it sounds.
He wouldn't get on the park enough, but I am open to a 1-2 year senior defender coming onto our list as cover. We are very short of KPD options at the minute, and TBH I would have been happy to chase Merritt a bit harder than we did.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 05:21 PM
He wouldn't get on the park enough, but I am open to a 1-2 year senior defender coming onto our list as cover. We are very short of KPD options at the minute, and TBH I would have been happy to chase Merritt a bit harder than we did.

I agree, hated the idea at first with Lonergen, then warmed to it, now I'm really upset it didn't happen.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 07:10 PM
i have heard a little rumour we may rookie tom young.

no,no,no,no,no!!!!!

gohardorgohome
30-10-2014, 11:44 PM
I would closely look at Australian Under 18 cricket captain Patrick McKenna.

Playing for Gisborne in the Bendigo Football League he bagged Nine goals in a game of Senior footy. Read the play as good as anyone when playing off the half back flank. Kicked 45 goals in the Seniors and made the Bendigo Footy League Team of the Year.
He kicked 16 goals in a game of school footy for Salesian College, and 16 goals in a game for Gisborne Under 18s. All this off a limited pre season due to cricket commitments.

The kid can play.

Maddog37
31-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Playing for Gisborne in the Bendigo Football League he bagged Nine goals in a game of Senior footy. Read the play as good as anyone when playing off the half back flank. Kicked 45 goals in the Seniors and made the Bendigo Footy League Team of the Year.
He kicked 16 goals in a game of school footy for Salesian College, and 16 goals in a game for Gisborne Under 18s. All this off a limited pre season due to cricket commitments.

The kid can play.

Have you emailed the club about him?

gohardorgohome
01-11-2014, 01:05 AM
No I havent

There is vision of every Gisborne game on the Bendigo League web site.......
The nine goal game was the home game v Kangaroo Flat.

GVGjr
05-11-2014, 07:00 PM

The kid can play.

He's got a bit of attention now. Big chance to be drafted

F'scary
05-11-2014, 08:18 PM
He's got a bit of attention now. Big chance to be drafted

tell us more!

GVGjr
05-11-2014, 08:33 PM
tell us more!

He's expected to be a rookie listed. There are supposed to be a couple of club interested.

Axe Man
19-11-2014, 01:13 PM

The kid can play.

The cat's out of the bag on this kid now:

Runs on the board: gun cricketer nominates for the draft (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-19/runs-on-the-board)

HE CAPTAINED the under-19 Australian cricket team, bats left-handed in the top order and makes plenty of runs.

But after playing a season of local level football, Gisborne's Pat McKenna has nominated for the NAB AFL Draft and is on the radar of a handful of clubs.

Only in September did the 18-year-old lead his country on a cricket tour to Sri Lanka, but it was there that McKenna decided he wanted to pursue a football career.

That was after an impressive season for Gisborne in the Bendigo Football League, where he kicked 45 goals for the senior side in 18 games.

McKenna isn't especially quick, but at 186cm and 76kg has played a number of different roles through the season, where his game sense, overhead marking and foot skills impressed.

Greater Western Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Fremantle are believed to be among the clubs who have enquired about McKenna, potentially as a late pick at next week's draft or at next month's rookie draft.

If he isn't picked by a club he will play in the TAC Cup next year with the Calder Cannons as a 19-year-old, where he has already started training as part of its pre-season program.

Having recently finished his year 12 studies at Salesian College, McKenna is now concentrating on his fitness and footy with the Cannons.

"His ability to mark the ball and kick goals is really strong," said Ian Kyte, the Cannons' talent manager.

"His conditioning is in a pretty good position. He did pre-season with us last year before pulling the pin for cricket, but he's certainly presented really well."

Recruits from local level are rare from Victoria if the players have not featured in the TAC Cup competition.

Last year Melbourne picked Jayden Hunt with selection No.57, having watched him play school football for Brighton Grammar.

The Doctor
19-11-2014, 03:29 PM
I think we should have a look at Shannon Taylor from Frankston.

I'd like to see us go for a ruckman, and a small forward who can crumb if we don't get them in the ND.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Kol from the Falcons. I've liked him this year, he's slight mid/flanker so a rookie spot would be good to take him as a project.

Twodogs
19-11-2014, 05:01 PM
The cat's out of the bag on this kid now:

Runs on the board: gun cricketer nominates for the draft (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-19/runs-on-the-board)

HE CAPTAINED the under-19 Australian cricket team, bats left-handed in the top order and makes plenty of runs.

But after playing a season of local level football, Gisborne's Pat McKenna has nominated for the NAB AFL Draft and is on the radar of a handful of clubs.

Only in September did the 18-year-old lead his country on a cricket tour to Sri Lanka, but it was there that McKenna decided he wanted to pursue a football career.

That was after an impressive season for Gisborne in the Bendigo Football League, where he kicked 45 goals for the senior side in 18 games.

McKenna isn't especially quick, but at 186cm and 76kg has played a number of different roles through the season, where his game sense, overhead marking and foot skills impressed.

Greater Western Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Fremantle are believed to be among the clubs who have enquired about McKenna, potentially as a late pick at next week's draft or at next month's rookie draft.

If he isn't picked by a club he will play in the TAC Cup next year with the Calder Cannons as a 19-year-old, where he has already started training as part of its pre-season program.

Having recently finished his year 12 studies at Salesian College, McKenna is now concentrating on his fitness and footy with the Cannons.

"His ability to mark the ball and kick goals is really strong," said Ian Kyte, the Cannons' talent manager.

"His conditioning is in a pretty good position. He did pre-season with us last year before pulling the pin for cricket, but he's certainly presented really well."

Recruits from local level are rare from Victoria if the players have not featured in the TAC Cup competition.

Last year Melbourne picked Jayden Hunt with selection No.57, having watched him play school football for Brighton Grammar.

He sounds a bit like Jim Edmond.

LostDoggy
19-11-2014, 05:15 PM
He sounds a bit like Jim Edmond.

Gisborne was a bit of a retirement village for ex-Bulldogs. I know Jim Edmond and Mocha Dunstan used to live there, still might.

GVGjr
19-11-2014, 06:52 PM
4 rookie list spots opens up a few options. Pearce has a commitment so that most likely leaves us with 3 spots.
I'd certainly look to add Will Hayes from the VFL as his running ability would be a bonus for us.

Jayden Foster would have to be a strong consideration and I'd be keen to have a look at Brett Turner a defender/midfielder from SA who has good pace.

I see the sense in looking at a ruckman and there could still be a few available.

bornadog
20-11-2014, 12:13 AM
4 rookie list spots opens up a few options. Pearce has a commitment so that most likely leaves us with 3 spots.
I'd certainly look to add Will Hayes from the VFL as his running ability would be a bonus for us.

Jayden Foster would have to be a strong consideration and I'd be keen to have a look at Brett Turner a defender/midfielder from SA who has good pace.

I see the sense in looking at a ruckman and there could still be a few available.

Hasnt Greenwood been offered a spot again?

Twodogs
20-11-2014, 12:28 AM

The chance to train for a spot but hasn't been guaranteed a spot I think.

GVGjr
20-11-2014, 03:54 AM

He is a likely addition but as Twodogs said it's not a done deal

LostDoggy
20-11-2014, 07:48 PM
I'd rather let greenwood go and rookie Jaiyden Foster.

bulldogtragic
20-11-2014, 08:23 PM
I'd rather let greenwood go and rookie Jaiyden Foster.

Couldn't agree more. Foster has a lot to like, I've heard the knocks first hand and they're not necessarily talent but whether he can adjust to a different role with bigger opponents. It's a bigger payoff than Greenwood who I just don't see making it.

azabob
20-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Couldn't agree more. Foster has a lot to like, I've heard the knocks first hand and they're not necessarily talent but whether he can adjust to a different role with bigger opponents. It's a bigger payoff than Greenwood who I just don't see making it.

Hang on BT, you were all for Foster, then you pulled off your major recruit then totally forgot about Foster! ;)

bulldogtragic
20-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Hang on BT, you were all for Foster, then you pulled off your major recruit then totally forgot about Foster! ;)

:) So many things to think about running the club from my WOOF account. But I'm back in the game now after seeing Pearce & Tutt cut. So, where to start? Word is Foster's foot injury looks like it might be back and thus means he won't pass medicals. I don't expect him to be drafted, best case for Jayden if earning cash for playing footy is concerned is VFL or local footy. Carlton were the ones most interested, with Luke Kennedy on their minds (ie injured tall kids with significant concerns) I'm not sure their fans would allow it especially with them getting Jones & Jaksch.

azabob
20-11-2014, 09:00 PM
:) So many things to think about running the club from my WOOF account. But I'm back in the game now after seeing Pearce & Tutt cut. So, where to start? Word is Foster's foot injury looks like it might be back and thus means he won't pass medicals. I don't expect him to be drafted, best case for Jayden if earning cash for playing footy is concerned is VFL or local footy. Carlton were the ones most interested, with Luke Kennedy on their minds (ie injured tall kids with significant concerns) I'm not sure their fans would allow it especially with them getting Jones & Jaksch.

Its a brave new world mate, running a footy club from a personal computer at home shouldn't be an issue!!

In all seriousness shame he has got another injury, just when he was starting to get some consistency.

bulldogtragic
20-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Its a brave new world mate, running a footy club from a personal computer at home shouldn't be an issue!!

In all seriousness shame he has got another injury, just when he was starting to get some consistency.

I hope for his sake it doesn't get out, and some club ignores the obvious, but as KBW once sang, 'it's over before it began'.