PDA

View Full Version : Tom Boyd Deal Could Put The Squeeze on Bulldogs

Eastdog
22-10-2014, 02:10 PM
http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tom-boyd-deal-could-put-the-squeeze-on-bulldogs-20141020-118vp4.html

Tom Boyd Deal Could Put The Squeeze On Bulldogs

By JON PIERIK

Having set a benchmark through the audacious trade for Tom Boyd, the Western Bulldogs will soon have several of their home-grown young stars, who are also crucial to their premiership aspirations, asking for a pay rise.

After what appears to be a game-changing free agency and trade period, where players and their agents exercised greater power, the Dogs must now deal with the ramifications of Boyd's stunning seven-year deal worth about $7 million.

It has even been suggested to Fairfax Media that emerging superstar Marcus Bontempelli could debate in coming weeks whether to approach the Bulldogs and ask for his recently extended contract to be revisited.

Advertisement

Bontempelli, presently overseas on holiday, is contracted until the end of 2017. He still has a year to run on his rookie contract but this year extended his tenure for another two years. However, even by the end of that deal, industry sources suggest he may only be paid, at best, half of what Boyd is on.

Bontempelli, taken with the fourth pick in last year's national draft in which Boyd was No.1, was a stand out in 2014, finishing second in the Rising Star award and was voted by the AFL Players' Association and the Bulldogs as the best first-year player in their awards.

Luke Dahlhaus, who finished fourth in this year's best and fairest, is off contract at the end of next season. He has become one of the commercial faces of the club in recent years and is a player the Dogs cannot afford to lose if they are to make true on club president Peter Gordon's assertion that they will play finals for much of the next decade.

"It's only natural that some player managers will say that if Boyd is worth that much, then their player, even if he is just an average player, is worth at least 50 or 60 per cent, even more, of Boyd's value," one player agent said on Monday.

"Not everyone will be like that but this [Boyd deal] could be a real game-changer for the club."

Midfielder Mitch Wallis, who rounded out this year's top 10 in the best and fairest, is also off contract at the end of next season.

That the Bulldogs can also afford to pay almost $1 million dollars of Ryan Griffen's contract to play with Greater Western Sydney over the next four years has player managers predicting there could be a squeeze put on the Dogs.

While impressive youngsters Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae and Jake Stringer are contracted until the end of 2016, the Bulldogs will likely open negotiations with the trio later next year.

Boyd played just nine matches for eight goals in his rookie year with the Giants, but his ability to develop into one of the game's premier power forwards meant the Bulldogs were prepared to broker a blockbuster deal. However, the message to supporters and even his teammates is that the 19-year-old will need time to mature.

"He is big and he is strong and he can mark and kick goals," Dogs' list manager Jason McCartney said.

"What we do need to understand is that he is only 19 years of age. That is the big thing."

McCartney said Geelong colossus Tom Hawkins had taken time to morph into a dominant figure and Boyd would most likely be the same.

Greystache
22-10-2014, 02:16 PM
We hear that Marcus Bontempelli could be thinking about thinking about his contract- WOW, there's some modern journalism right there :rolleyes:

soupman
22-10-2014, 02:18 PM
http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tom-boyd-deal-could-put-the-squeeze-on-bulldogs-20141020-118vp4.html

Bontempelli, presently overseas on holiday, is contracted until the end of 2017. He still has a year to run on his rookie contract but this year extended his tenure for another two years. However, even by the end of that deal, industry sources suggest he may only be paid, at best, half of what Boyd is on.

Wow they must have searched long and hard to find such enlightened industry sources.

Well I just talked to my "industry sources" and they "suggest" that the contract Bontempelli will probably get will not only see him get paid at best $600k, but it might not be for 7 years either!!!

Maybe he will start a support group with other players that aren't paid as much as their clubs million dollar key forwards, with guys like Pendlebury and that out and out star Sam Reid.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Sick of the garbage. Bob, Morris, MBoyd all going to retire in this window of resigning. Then Minson just after. The salary cap will increase. Some lesser players may have to agree to less to stay a part of it, see Joel Corey, Enright and many more.

Just an easy cheap shot, and many are taking the pot.

Murphy'sLore
22-10-2014, 02:21 PM
In all seriousness, the arrival of Boyd can only be good for Bonti. At least the pressure of being our next saviour will be shared between them now.

Remi Moses
22-10-2014, 03:45 PM
" sources" and " insiders" equates to I'll throw a few darts at the board and conjure up some hypotheticals.
Mitch Clark got 800 a year to leave Brisbane ( hardly earnt it) create a decent environment and you'll find guys want to stay.
Little bit to positive that thought for an article.
Is that naive to think the whiteboard wasn't out and salaries and contracts and comparisons between Wright/ Boyd/ Mccartin weren't
Thrown around ?

ledge
22-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Did they conveniently miss the part where Boyd said he wanted to play with his mates , bontempelli being one, so I doubt he would want to leave Boyd after he got to the club because of mates.

Bulldog Joe
22-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Well when you consider that over the next 3 years we will have a minimum of about $1.5m annually to increase payments to remaining players, I am sure we will be able to entertain significant increases for those who merit it.

That is without looking at the benefits we could have in place now with front loading contracts and the juggle room for back loading later contracts.

Of course it would be more difficult if the salary cap was not going to increase.

The journos are so short sighted, but then their business is find a headline now.

G-Mo77
22-10-2014, 04:48 PM
There is that Griffen being paid $1M over 4 years? We pay him next year GWS pay Boyd next year and then it's done well at least "insiders sources " tell me that.

Clearly we haven't planned ahead and Boyd will be running around with kids and washed up players who can't get a game elsewhere for the rest of his career.

LostDoggy
22-10-2014, 05:10 PM
...and then there's the games forebears who, until recently, had to work while playing to survive......

Ozza
22-10-2014, 05:15 PM
If Bonti wants to talk about extending his contract with us....then I'd be welcoming the discussion, and the opportunity to lock him in for even longer!!

Sedat
22-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Can't there be a salary cap on footy journos? Maybe Slobbo could then get traded to The Australian with the HS paying half his salary. Then someone like a Jake Niall becomes a delisted free agent after being let go by The Age. Michael Gleeson moves interstate to the Adelaide Addy in a straight swap with Michaelangelo Rucci.

May as well do this because the scribes think they are part of the actual game.

Ghost Dog
22-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Can't there be a salary cap on footy journos? Maybe Slobbo could then get traded to The Australian with the HS paying half his salary. Then someone like a Jake Niall becomes a delisted free agent after being let go by The Age. Michael Gleeson moves interstate to the Adelaide Addy in a straight swap with Michaelangelo Rucci.

May as well do this because the scribes think they are part of the actual game.

Robbo should go back to the Auskick school of Journalism for his spelling errors and shocking innacuracies.
Hell, my spelling can be pretty bad but I'm not paid to be in print.

ledge
22-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Robbo should go back to the Auskick school of Journalism for his spelling errors and shocking innacuracies.
Hell, my spelling can be pretty bad but I'm not paid to be in print.

Spelling errors are probably not his, truth be known he talks into a tape and someone else types it up, then you have a proof reader who obviously isn't doing the job properly..I was a proof reader :-)
However stupid statements, lies, and inaccuracies aren't the proof readers job.

LostDoggy
23-10-2014, 12:28 AM
Bonti is an easy target because he's on holiday. Say it about a different player and they'd be out in the press 5 minutes later saying “I'm rapt with my current deal, piss off.” I mean, for Christ's sake, Griff was supposed to be happy with his deal too. Let's just worry about what IS happening, rather than what COULD happen. I could come out of retirement myself at 32 and swallow up all the cap space. Bloody unlikely though.

LostDoggy
23-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Bonti is an easy target because he's on holiday. Say it about a different player and they'd be out in the press 5 minutes later saying “I'm rapt with my current deal, piss off.” I mean, for Christ's sake, Griff was supposed to be happy with his deal too. Let's just worry about what IS happening, rather than what COULD happen. I could come out of retirement myself at 32 and swallow up all the cap space. Bloody unlikely though.

Can you add key position defensive depth?

whythelongface
23-10-2014, 02:44 PM
What I don't understand from these articles is that they never mention that the AFL market is limited to 18 clubs. Thus we are talking about a limited market whereby only the elite, or those earmarked as elite, will be able to attract the dollars that these articles are spruiking. The majority of other players will generally be competing for the same money no matter what clubs they play for. Of course there are exceptions to the rule in particular, previously, when the expansion clubs commenced but generally speaking it is a fairly even playing field. It is more a choice about opportunities and where the player wants to ply his trade.

Bulldog Joe
23-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Given that most players crave a level of success, I would expect our young stars are equally excited that the club has made such a bold move to increase their chances of success at the club.

PedroArvy
23-10-2014, 07:52 PM
I have to agree with the article. One million for Boyd over the course of his contract was too much. He is an unproven footballer. His salary will limit what other players can be paid in the future and this will cause problems. Sounds like terrible list management to me.

Flamethrower
23-10-2014, 08:01 PM
I have to agree with the article. One million for Boyd over the course of his contract was too much. He is an unproven footballer. His salary will limit what other players can be paid in the future and this will cause problems. Sounds like terrible list management to me.

It's that type of thinking that has resulted in 2 GF appearances since 1925.

At least Tom is projected to be a franchise player, unlike I$$y Folau and Karmichael Hunt who were on similar coin to promote the game in their constituents despite being just this side of useless.

PedroArvy
23-10-2014, 08:11 PM

At least Tom is projected to be a franchise player, unlike I$$y Folau and Karmichael Hunt who were on similar coin to promote the game in their constituents despite being just this side of useless.

Are there any players in the last 5 grand final winners that are on these sorts of salaries?

Remi Moses
23-10-2014, 08:14 PM

Not sure if you're serious or not.
Would have thought they'd have a few people in front of a whiteboard with projected contracts and figures etc etc
Then there's the Wright/ McCartin / Wright debate.
No doubting a huge risk, but also a massive reward if successful. The media contract guessing game I find amusing, and would assume it would be front ended. The signing's created some excitement, and if he's a raging success it's two fold.

Remi Moses
23-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Are there any players in the last 5 grand final winners that are on these sorts of salaries?

Pretty sure Franlkin wasn't on peanuts at Hawthorn, and in fact they offered a million a year to keep him.
Sydney's top end even pre Buddy Tippet were on big coin.
Do you honestly reckon Sam Reid was worth a 5 year big contract?
Don't fall for the media lazy narrative of just making hypotheticals on our younger players.

Remi Moses
23-10-2014, 08:21 PM

Massive plus to the bottom line if Tom is a raging success.

Maddog37
23-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Anyone want to hazard a guess at the value of the media exposure we received due to the Boyd trade?

GVGjr
23-10-2014, 08:37 PM

I don't think the contract is as big as reported but that being said, I also don't think players are too concerned what others players are being paid. We have cleared the decks of the older guys and the focus will be on paying the younger guys really good salaries.

If any good young player is chasing the bigger dollars than what the club can afford then we just have to do the best deal we can.

List management over the next few years is going to be real challenge for all clubs.

LostDoggy
23-10-2014, 08:55 PM
I don't think the contract is as big as reported but that being said, I also don't think players are too concerned what others players are being paid. We have cleared the decks of the older guys and the focus will be on paying the younger guys really good salaries.

If any good young player is chasing the bigger dollars than what the club can afford then we just have to do the best deal we can.

List management over the next few years is going to be real challenge for all clubs.

Good point. I'd say they would only be concerned with another players salary where that player is contributing less to the team or the future potential of the team. If one of the younger brigade could be the big gorilla key forward we need we wouldn't be discussing this right now, would we?

bulldogtragic
23-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Anyone want to hazard a guess at the value of the media exposure we received due to the Boyd trade?

If we use it right, A LOT.

azabob
23-10-2014, 10:08 PM
If we use it right, A LOT.

So far so good.

Having Boyd appear for the first in public at a local primary school was a very savvy move. Kids would love having a big friendly giant there, especially such a high profiled one.

Topdog
24-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Sydney have 2 players on 1m each. They seem to manage. Salary cap is only going 1 way too.

Eastdog
25-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Sydney have 2 players on 1m each. They seem to manage. Salary cap is only going 1 way too.

But they have COLA don't they.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2014, 09:23 PM
But they have COLA don't they.

They do, you are right Eastie. But the cola is $900,000. So if the cola money paid for Buddy, then Sydney still have one X million dollar player. Now, so do we. Same, same.

Eastdog
25-10-2014, 09:44 PM
I've said before that the Tom Boyd deal was massive for our club but I'm still thinking are we paying him far too much for a player that isn't proven yet. Does it make sense? Libba would be worthy of a $1 million right now too but gets half of what Boyd is being paid. What do you reckon? Could he be willing to take a reasonable paycut.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2014, 09:50 PM
I've said before that the Tom Boyd deal was massive for our club but I'm still thinking are we paying him far too much for a player that isn't proven yet. Does it make sense? Libba would be worthy of a $1 million right now too but gets half of what Boyd is being paid. What do you reckon? Could he be willing to take a reasonable paycut.

No to a pay cut. The question is when KPP's prove themselves, how many of them leave their clubs for money?

Carey, Brown, Riewoldt, Cloke...

As for Buddy it was over a million dollars for 9 years. How did you rate Buddy's years at the Hawks? Was he worth the money during their 3 grand finals and 2 flags?

Eastdog
25-10-2014, 10:00 PM
No to a pay cut. The question is when KPP's prove themselves, how many of them leave their clubs for money?

Carey, Brown, Riewoldt, Cloke...

As for Buddy it was over a million dollars for 9 years. How did you rate Buddy's years at the Hawks? Was he worth the money during their 3 grand finals and 2 flags?

I take your point on board BT. What if we didn't offer Tom Boyd $1million could he have still agreed to come to us.

jeemak
25-10-2014, 10:11 PM
I take your point on board BT. What if we didn't offer Tom Boyd $1million could he have still agreed to come to us.

No. Boyd has taken a very big step moving from GWS in his first year and he wouldn't have done it if we didn't lay down the cash.

If we had have let it go to the end of next season we would have been just one of a number of clubs all offering roughly the same amount - about $1m per season (providing Boyd didn't get injured etc.).

It was the right deal and entirely reflective of what it will cost to complete these transactions for clubs down the bottom of the ladder.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2014, 10:12 PM

No. Carlton, and St Kilda in particular went very hard at Boyd. By all accounts St Kilda offered the same money & years, but with an equal offer he picked us. If you want to buy a Ferrari you need to pay for it. This is the biggest trade to us in our history, ever. That's not a line but a fact. Get happy Eastie, the whole AFL wanted him, but we landed him. The salary cap increases every year, so others will have more money.

Eastdog
25-10-2014, 10:21 PM
No. Carlton, and St Kilda in particular went very hard at Boyd. By all accounts St Kilda offered the same money & years, but with an equal offer he picked us. If you want to buy a Ferrari you need to pay for it. This is the biggest trade to us in our history, ever. That's not a line but a fact. Get happy Eastie, the whole AFL wanted him, but we landed him. The salary cap increases every year, so others will have more money.

I'm very happy BT but you watch the media will be in his back now if he doesn't perform but what Tom needs is a good mentor and focus on what his doing with us.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I'm very happy BT but you watch the media will be in his back now if he doesn't perform but what Tom needs is a good mentor and focus on what his doing with us.

Good luck to them. What if he does perform? You can't let fear of other people's opinion, all be it printed ones, detract from things. Brad Ottens was talked about as an over paid trade too. I can recall that gossip, but I remember the premierships he was integral too. He's a smart kid and has the talent to work towards Full Forward in the 2000-2100 Team of the Century. He's just that talented. Let history write itself and the media will do whatever.

Eastdog
25-10-2014, 10:41 PM
I like to keep an open mind I think it goes both ways. I think it could either be great or not so great but I'm hopeful for now and banking on the fact that as the number 1 draft pick he'll be good.

KT31
26-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Dammed if you do or dammed if you don't, facts are we have been screaming out for a young key forward we can build around for over a decade.
Are we paying overs ? Well and truly, but IMO Tom would be on the Blues list if we waited until next season and he would not have come across if this season if we didn't offer such a massive deal.
Well done to the club and all concerned, you finally listened and got the big bloke we require to compete with the franchise teams and as mentioned in numerous articles we didn't just do it on a whim, we did our homework and had him in our sites all along.
Two seasons back we were all concerned about our window being during the same period as GWS and GC, now it may well still be but with our last couple of years in the draft and this seasons coupe, with the crop of quality kids on our list I am more than confident we have gone a long way to match them.

LostDoggy
26-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Think this way too guys. He has already ‘broken’ a contract. We don't want to be tightwads with him and have him break another when Carlton pony up the dough. They're a club with a long, ‘proud’ history of ponying up the dough.

Ozza
27-10-2014, 01:27 PM
I find it quite pathetic - that the exact same people in the media who would regularly state that the Dogs needed to make a big move and go hard at a key forward, are now critical of us for paying 'overs' for an 'unproven talent'.

Wearing some criticism from both media and fans for the immediate period is a small price to pay, for what the end result should be. And those criticising the deal now (ie. media and short-sighted fans) are the ones that just kick with the breeze anyway.

Murphy'sLore
27-10-2014, 02:16 PM
The latest epithet was 'disgusting' in the Sunday Age yesterday. It's getting quite tiresome.

Greystache
27-10-2014, 02:27 PM
The latest epithet was 'disgusting' in the Sunday Age yesterday. It's getting quite tiresome.

Yep just a rolling list of inacuracies, waffle, and speculation, all tied into a strained attempt at a heart wrenching narrative.

Every hack that writes the next edition of why this deal has ruined the world builds on the size of the contract, I'm assuming to one up the previous hack, but in this addition it's now up to $7mil for 6 years. Originally it was being reported as $6mil for 6 years, then it grew to $7mil for 7 years, now it's grown again to $7mil over 6 years. By the time Garry Lyon jumps on the bandwagon it'll be $15mil over 4 years.

Remi Moses
27-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Kevin Sheedy is just hysterical isn't he?
Clearly Alzheimer's starting to kick in

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 02:47 PM

I thought Sheedy was pretty pragmatic in an interview with KB I heard last week. He basically said that Boyd has shown the potential to be a Tony Lockett type of talent that should be around for 10-12 years and that Griffen and pick6 would probably give GWS 10-12 years of good service (added up).

The money thing was really an answer to a loaded question, but I don't think he was overly critical of the deal. Even said he expected probably 1 or 2 more stars to leave next year, but not a massive walk out.

Heard an interview with Jon Patton that would've warm the hearts of GWS basically saying that they don't want anyone there who doesn't want to be there and that he laughed at the deal Boyd got. So one hand having a go at Boyd for leaving then giving praise to Jacksh and Whilley, saying they were going to be great players and were looking for opportunities. I think Jon may be more then slightly envious of young Tom.

KT31
27-10-2014, 04:40 PM

What do you mean starting, he's been off with the martians for years.