PDA

View Full Version : Brendan McCartney to Melbourne

GVGjr
27-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Just heard he has been appointed at Melbourne as a development and strategy coach.

Melbournes gain is our loss.

McCartney (http://afl.com.au/news/2014-10-27/mccartney-finds-new-home)

chef
27-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Great get for them, their kids are going to benefit greatly.

Throughandthrough
27-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Daniel Cross will be so happy

G-Mo77
27-10-2014, 12:21 PM
They desperately need someone like him. Sadly it'd be the perfect role for him with here.

GVGjr
27-10-2014, 12:28 PM
There is also a component of his duties where he helps prepare Simon Goodwin for the senior role

Murphy'sLore
27-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Well, I'm happy for him that he's got another gig so quickly. I think we were way too hasty pushing him out, with no clear replacement available. I feel very apprehensive about this next coaching appointment, none of the candidates seeming better than what we had (to my ignorant eye).

Best of luck, Brendan, hope things work out better for you at Melbourne than they did with us. Not too well, obviously.

westdog54
27-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Just heard he has been appointed at Melbourne as a development and strategy coach.

Great decision by Melbourne. They need someone with strong development credentials.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Can too many chefs spoil a broth that is already ratshit? I don't know about this for Melbourne they are going to have a recently sacked (resigned) head coach, a head coach in waiting, and an interim head coach. You would imagine all with pretty different ideas about the way they would develop the team (the Daniel Cross reference earlier was a good one). If Macca can take a back seat hopefully it won't be a big issue, and I suppose Melbourne has been a cloudy consumé for a while now so it can't get much worse!

Scorlibo
27-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Can too many chefs spoil a broth that is already ratshit? I don't know about this for Melbourne they are going to have a recently sacked (resigned) head coach, a head coach in waiting, and an interim head coach. You would imagine all with pretty different ideas about the way they would develop the team (the Daniel Cross reference earlier was a good one). If Macca can take a back seat hopefully it won't be a big issue, and I suppose Melbourne has been a cloudy consumé for a while now so it can't get much worse!

I feel that Macca would slip again into a back-seat role quite comfortably.

Re: Cross, I do wonder whether if McCartney had his time again he would still tap Cross on the shoulder. Regardless, Melbourne's midfield is far weaker than ours was, hence why they recruited Cross and hence why it seems unlikely he's be pushed out the door again.

Remi Moses
27-10-2014, 05:58 PM
I feel that Macca would slip again into a back-seat role quite comfortably.

Re: Cross, I do wonder whether if McCartney had his time again he would still tap Cross on the shoulder. Regardless, Melbourne's midfield is far weaker than ours was, hence why they recruited Cross and hence why it seems unlikely he's be pushed out the door again.
I think he would have . Unfortunately they needed to push a few out and Cross was surplus to requirements .

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 06:27 PM
I'll pose this one then, how happy would Macca be about bringing in Lumumba and Garlett? If that is a blatant disregard for a no dickhead policy, I don't know what is!

chef
27-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Why is Lumumba a dickhead?

AndrewP6
27-10-2014, 06:42 PM
His B&F speech is a good place to start. The guy is clearly 'unbalanced'.

chef
27-10-2014, 06:46 PM
His B&F speech is a good place to start. The guy is clearly 'unbalanced'.
Just because he's 'different' doesn't make him a dickhead.

AndrewP6
27-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Just because he's 'different' doesn't make him a dickhead.

Guess it depends on your definition of dickhead. His carry-on over the 'unsafe workplace' with that Mardi Gras pic is another that springs to mind.

AndrewP6
27-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Good luck to McCartney. Will probably do well in a role he is best suited to.

KT31
27-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Good luck to B.Mac, taking on a role IMO he is much better suited too.

chef
27-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Guess it depends on your definition of dickhead. His carry-on over the 'unsafe workplace' with that Mardi Gras pic is another that springs to mind.

See to me the dickhead is the one who wrote on the poster, but I guess each to there own.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-10-2014, 08:18 PM

A great result for the Demons. Macca will be a fine support to Roos and Goodwin and the fact that his services were secured so quickly highlights the high regard he is held in throughout the AFL competition. I have little doubt that his influence at the WB over the past three years will have paved the way for our new coach to enjoy a successful period.

Topdog
28-10-2014, 03:40 AM
See to me the dickhead is the one who wrote on the poster, but I guess each to there own.

Both dickheads IMO. His B&F speech was very dickhead worthy.

Twodogs
28-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Both dickheads IMO. His B&F speech was very dickhead worthy.

Yep. Both dickheads.

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Lumumba strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't mind being a bit of a dickhead.

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Heretier is dickheadish I would've thought.

Don't like the fact that he happily called Tom Hawkins a "Fat *!*!*!*!", but then lambasts people for pretty minor indiscretions as being bigots, sexist & homophobic.

I don't hate him, actually find his rants interesting and comical, but I would not want him at the doggies.

Sedat
29-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Perfect role for BMac - I don't think he was ever suited to the main gig but his credentials as a development coach are impeccable. I wish him well.

bornadog
18-09-2015, 09:52 AM
He has applied for the Essendon Senior role.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2015, 10:11 AM

Cooney last seen sobbing and rocking in the foetal position.

Sedat
18-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Cooney last seen sobbing and rocking in the foetal position.
He can't get in the foetal position because his chronic knee injuries won't allow it ;)

Axe Man
18-09-2015, 11:42 AM
He can't get in the foetal position because his chronic knee injuries won't allow it ;)

But the soft floors...

azabob
18-09-2015, 11:50 AM

Not being technical, but did he approach them, or them approach him? I read they approached him.

Interesting either way and good luck to Brendan!

LostDoggy
18-09-2015, 12:29 PM
I heard it that Essendon had approached him and asked him to apply (!?!?).

Murphy'sLore
18-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Maybe it makes sense, in a way… They could be looking for someone who is straight up and down, uncompromising, and will totally rebuild the club. One thing BMac always had was integrity. It could be just what they need.

LostDoggy
18-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Maybe it makes sense, in a way… They could be looking for someone who is straight up and down, uncompromising, and will totally rebuild the club. One thing BMac always had was integrity. It could be just what they need.

That's a fair point. Apparently he made a big impression there in his time prior to coming to us. I'd be surprised if he ends up head coach though, maybe some kind of overseeing/advisory role in the coaching department.

F'scary
18-09-2015, 01:38 PM
As a match day coach and as an architect of a sustainable, successful playing style, I can't credit him much for his showing with us. However, he came in at a difficult time and stopped us from sliding to the very bottom of the ladder which we could have easily done, he deserves credit for this. We could have become a Melbourne or a Carlton and we are a much more vulnerable club in that situation.

jeemak
18-09-2015, 01:51 PM
It's possibly a ploy to try and demonstrate diligence in process. The job is Worsefold's if he wants it.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2015, 02:36 PM
It's possibly a ploy to try and demonstrate diligence in process. The job is Worsefold's if he wants it.

I think it's a ploy to get Cooney to quit and then they can save pocket his 2016 salary and try forget they traded pick 35 for him. Clever.

Twodogs
18-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Bmac would be a good get for Essendon. Maybe it's going to be a double act Worsfold doing the tactical and match day stuff and Bmac overseeing a longer term strategic role?

BornInDroopSt'54
18-09-2015, 03:29 PM
McC's exit from us was damn extraordinary, following gryphons abandoning ship. The bombers must read our rise this year to McC's cracking in, contested ball training. Little do they know that it's the recruiting that's done it.

Murphy'sLore
18-09-2015, 03:33 PM
I had actually blotted out the memory that he'd spent time at Essendon already. They should know what they're getting then. A Worsfold/BMac double act seems like a pretty good combo.

Greystache
18-09-2015, 03:54 PM

That's my suspicion as well. They're a dishonest club right to their very core.

Bmac spent a year with them and was very highly rated, if they use and abuse him just to masquerade, then it just confirms everything we already know about them.

azabob
18-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Well Glen Jakovich claiming Worsfold has the job.

bornadog
18-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Well Glen Jakovich claiming Worsfold has the job.

and Guy McKenna assistant

Ghost Dog
21-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Robert Walls says Worsefold was an ordinary coach. Well of course Robert is famous for organising group beatings of his own players. If they quit the sport that just means they are not manly enough, so we really respect his opinion.

What's he saying? One premiership in 11 years with the Eagles. Sourpuss rant here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/robert-walls-questions-the-chase-for-john-worsfold--an-ordinary-coach-20150920-gjqnp7.html). He has a point, eg. Eagles being a financial powerhouse, having Judd, Cox and a host of others and only a 53% win ratio. Oversaw the team during a time of toxic and rampant drug use hmmmmmm. Wait.

He's perfect for Essendon!

azabob
21-09-2015, 09:29 AM
I also thought his article was distasteful, especially considering he has been in France for a few years.

KT31
21-09-2015, 09:41 AM
I also thought his article was distasteful, especially considering he has been in France for a few years.

John and Jimmy together in France, imaging the social and training substance program they could have worked out together.

Bulldog4life
21-09-2015, 11:12 AM
John and Jimmy together in France, imaging the social and training substance program they could have worked out together.

Robert and Jimmy in France you mean.

F'scary
21-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Robert Walls says Worsefold was an ordinary coach. Well of course Robert is famous for organising group beatings of his own players. If they quit the sport that just means they are not manly enough, so we really respect his opinion.

What's he saying? One premiership in 11 years with the Eagles. Sourpuss rant here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/robert-walls-questions-the-chase-for-john-worsfold--an-ordinary-coach-20150920-gjqnp7.html). He has a point, eg. Eagles being a financial powerhouse, having Judd, Cox and a host of others and only a 53% win ratio. Oversaw the team during a time of toxic and rampant drug use hmmmmmm. Wait.

He's perfect for Essendon!

To quote KT31: "you bad."

KT31
22-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Robert and Jimmy in France you mean.

No it was Worsfold and Hird who both went to France.

Ghost Dog
22-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Nepotism

azabob
22-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Wallis has been living abroad for a few years, mainly in a France from my understanding.

Remi Moses
22-09-2015, 02:20 PM
He lived in Marseille for a while.
Bit of a druggy place ( nice in parts )

Twodogs
22-09-2015, 02:38 PM
He lived in Marseille for a while.
Bit of a druggy place ( nice in parts )

Bloody good Angels song too.

Take me away to Marseiile

Bulldog4life
22-09-2015, 04:29 PM

Ok. I knew Walls was in Europe too

KT31
22-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Wallis has been living abroad for a few years, mainly in a France from my understanding.

And staring in our midfield, the commute must be a killer.:)

azabob
22-09-2015, 10:45 PM
And staring in our midfield, the commute must be a killer.:)

I thought he looked tired towards the end of the season.

KT31
22-09-2015, 11:20 PM
Worsfold has left Adelaide.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/john-worsfold-released-from-role-as-adelaide-coaching-director-likely-candidate-for-essendon-job/story-e6frf3e3-1227539221219has left Adelaide.

jeemak
24-09-2015, 08:11 AM
The Walls article points out something that was glaringly obvious to me from about a third of the way into the year last year, and that was the likelihood of some senior players pissing and moaning (for whatever reason) and it having an impact on the younger players.

I don't think he'd be bad for the EFC, but if the Knights tenure was anything to go by Bombres supporters are definitely not up for being patient.

Templeton31
24-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Maybe the Bumbers just wanted at least another applicant for a sham coaching selection process to justify choosing Worsfold. If so feel sorry for BMac.

bornadog
21-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Old Dog in frame to coach Suns

MELBOURNE assistant and former Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has emerged as a left-field candidate to coach the Gold Coast Suns. :eek:

ledge
21-09-2017, 05:58 PM

MELBOURNE assistant and former Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has emerged as a left-field candidate to coach the Gold Coast Suns. :eek:

Better off being a list builder than a head coach, and to be honest that's what they need, to build the list again.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2017, 06:01 PM

Whose after him? Beveridge?

GVGjr
21-09-2017, 09:37 PM
So Macca is potentially batting clean up for Eade again. I think he is more likely to go there as the 2IC

The Doctor
21-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Clayton & Macca together. Now there's a recipe for success.

hujsh
21-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Clayton & Macca together. Now there's a recipe for success.

Nothing could possibli go wrong.

jeemak
21-09-2017, 11:54 PM
If you recall it was BMac who ensured a disciplined approach to player recruitment via the draft was installed at the club. It was all a bit of a mess up to that point.

Overall he was good for our club. He was no outstanding senior coach - but in my view not as bad as some believed him to be - and had some man management and game plan issues, but he was instrumental in getting rid of or breaking some players who needed to go for the betterment of the football club. Without that, we'd have no flag in 2016.

This year was the first where the current leadership team could claim the club solely as their own. Not even the biggest BMac acolyte (if that's even a thing) could claim his influence would still permeate the playing group in a truly meaningful way. It will be interesting to see how the current leadership group turns what is clearly a destabilised club around for the better.

It's also interesting that Jake Stringer was so vocal about the club under Bmac's leadership. Peter Gordon reported Jake was really eager to give his opinion on the state of affairs under Bmac, who had publicly been critical of Stringer's effort - sometimes more overtly than others. Now Jake's not worked any harder and is looking like being jettisoned for the betterment of the footy club.

This next 18 months is unbelievably critical to the current leadership structure.

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 12:30 AM

It's official. The meeja have run out of (vaguely) sensible things to talk about.

The Underdog
22-09-2017, 12:23 PM
I wonder if they're looking at Rawlings with B-Mac as a senior assistant.

Twodogs
22-09-2017, 12:42 PM
I wonder if they're looking at Rawlings with B-Mac as a senior assistant.

That'd be a more likely set up I think.

bornadog
23-04-2019, 12:03 AM
Macca having troubles at Melbourne - again

Significant tension between Brendan McCartney and key Melbourne players (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-significant-tension-between-brendan-mccartney-and-key-melbourne-players/news-story/8a168d8104afc5b00812a046ef1594bd)

Happy Days
23-04-2019, 12:33 AM

Significant tension between Brendan McCartney and key Melbourne players (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-significant-tension-between-brendan-mccartney-and-key-melbourne-players/news-story/8a168d8104afc5b00812a046ef1594bd)

Important to remember that no matter how bad things seem now, they could always be worse.

azabob
23-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Scapegoat?

GVGjr
23-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Scapegoat?

Pure speculation but I think we could use a disciplinarian in our coaching ranks. Not saying they have to be as tough as B-Mac but perhaps a contrast to what we have.

Doc26
23-04-2019, 08:55 AM
Scapegoat?

Would seem that way.

If nothing else there are certainly cracks for this type of stuff to get out.

the level of disenchantment and frustration with McCartney is palpable

bornadog
23-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Scapegoat?

They had this issue last year when Macca left the coaching box and sat on the bench when he had issues with other assistants.

azabob
23-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Pure speculation but I think we could use a disciplinarian in our coaching ranks. Not saying they have to be as tough as B-Mac but perhaps a contrast to what we have.

Someone like Brett Montgomery, obviously that ship has sailed.

I wonder if Sam Mitchell could play the disciplinary role?

Bulldog4life
23-04-2019, 10:24 AM

Melbourne players seem a soft bunch. Refusing to do a pre season program indicated to me they might be.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 10:34 AM
Someone like Brett Montgomery, obviously that ship has sailed.

I wonder if Sam Mitchell could play the disciplinary role?

Contracted for a couple more years elsewhere.

azabob
23-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Contracted for a couple more years elsewhere.

Mitchell doesn’t mind breaking contracts.

Twodogs
23-04-2019, 12:07 PM

A bad cop/good cop routine would work wonders for us I reckon.

Teaching players how to kick a footy properly would be better though.

Grantysghost
23-04-2019, 12:16 PM
A bad cop/good cop routine would work wonders for us I reckon.

Teaching players how to kick a footy properly would be better though.

Amen to that. I played some very mediocre senior footy into the triple digits of games, mostly at CHF/FF. I actually said to my wife at the game when Hunter was lining up, we should be just setting up for the point.
There's no penetration in any of their set shots, McLean, Gowers, Hunter , Bont they don't seem to have any set routines or predominant pattern of misses . I used to miss to the left, I starting aiming for the inside of the right post. It worked. Is it fatigue with these guys? Maybe we should get the crowd from Braybrook or Brunswick to training to practise real sledging ! :cool:

Twodogs
23-04-2019, 01:04 PM
Amen to that. I played some very mediocre senior footy into the triple digits of games, mostly at CHF/FF. I actually said to my wife at the game when Hunter was lining up, we should be just setting up for the point.
There's no penetration in any of their set shots, McLean, Gowers, Hunter , Bont they don't seem to have any set routines or predominant pattern of misses . I used to miss to the left, I starting aiming for the inside of the right post. It worked. Is it fatigue with these guys? Maybe we should get the crowd from Braybrook or Brunswick to training to practise real sledging ! :cool:

I used to watch them at training practicing their set shots. The routine would invariably be grab a few footys at the end of the session, stand on the 50 and let fly. Nobody on the mark, no fatiguing (you don't have shots in a game when you are fresh so get the players to run 50 to 100 metres at top pace and then line up and take a shot before they have a chance to recover) basically no replication of match conditions.

The only time in the last 5 or 6 years I have seen anyone actually try and teach players the correct technique was when Griffin took it upon himself to take a few players aside and give them a few tips on what not to do.

BTW were you a left or right footer? In golfing terms left footers tend to fade the ball left to right and right footers tend to draw the ball right to left. It's a natural occurrence and allowing for it can correct it.

bornadog
23-04-2019, 01:09 PM

Why?

Grantysghost
23-04-2019, 01:10 PM
I used to watch them at training practicing their set shots. The routine would invariably be grab a few footys at the end of the session, stand on the 50 and let fly. Nobody on the mark, no fatiguing (you don't have shots in a game when you are fresh so get the players to run 50 to 100 metres at top pace and then line up and take a shot before they have a chance to recover) basically no replication of match conditions.

The only time in the last 5 or 6 years I have seen anyone actually try and teach players the correct technique was when Griffin took it upon himself to take a few players aside and give them a few tips on what not to do.

BTW were you a left or right footer? In golfing terms left footers tend to fade the ball left to right and right footers tend to draw the ball right to left. It's a natural occurrence and allowing for it can correct it.

Right footer, had a slight hook but it used to fade back a bit also. But I practised enough to know thats what happened if I did everything else correctly.
I'm not saying it worked every time but it gave me a grounding in routine and confidence when guys were saying nice things about my mum from over the fence that I could get my own back ! As with Pantene, it didn't happen overnight.
Lloyd, Duryea, English, Suckling, Smith, Lipinski, Richards recent additions that show we are trying to rectify it and are aware it's an issue.

Twodogs
23-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Right footer, had a slight hook but it used to fade back a bit also. But I practised enough to know thats what happened if I did everything else correctly.
I'm not saying it worked every time but it gave me a grounding in routine and confidence when guys were saying nice things about my mum from over the fence that I could get my own back ! As with Pantene, it didn't happen overnight.
Lloyd, Duryea, English, Suckling, Smith, Lipinski, Richards recent additions that show we are trying to rectify it and are aware it's an issue.

You gotta love those blokes who talk about your mum like they know her. One time playing cricket I chased a fielder. He'd overlooked the fact that I was the one wearing all the protection (pads, gloves, etc) and had a bat to use as a weapon. The funny thing was we sat down and chatted about it at the end of the day's play as if we had known each other for years!

Oh well like they say, what happens on the field stays on the field.

1eyedog
23-04-2019, 01:51 PM
We should get Macca back. All the players who hated him have gone.

bornadog
23-04-2019, 01:59 PM

No thanks

GVGjr
23-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Why?

To challenge the status quo and challenge the players more. Perhaps to challenge the other coaches as well

bornadog
23-04-2019, 02:55 PM
To challenge the status quo and challenge the players more. Perhaps to challenge the other coaches as well

Do you think that doesn't happen?

AndrewP6
23-04-2019, 04:33 PM

Ugh. Pass. BIG pass. The same issues with players at the Dogs are with him at Melbourne.

GVGjr
23-04-2019, 04:53 PM
Do you think that doesn't happen?

Are you sure it does? The group isn't performing to their level so I think a change of approach and a different voice to work with Bevo is vital. We had issues with the alleged Party Boys and we have had a number of players since the flag that have failed to recapture their form. I think a fresh and firm voice could work well for us

1eyedog
23-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Ugh. Pass. BIG pass. The same issues with players at the Dogs are with him at Melbourne.

I was joking.

bornadog
23-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Are you sure it does? The group isn't performing to their level so I think a change of approach and a different voice to work with Bevo is vital. We had issues with the alleged Party Boys and we have had a number of players since the flag that have failed to recapture their form. I think a fresh and firm voice could work well for us

As I have stated before, I have no issues bringing in a fresh senior coach, but you used the words disciplinarian. That word conjures up a hard man. We don't need someone to crack the whip, we need an advisor to Bevo, a strategists with some fresh ideas.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 06:27 PM
I don't know if this is a good sign and I may be reading the tea leaves wrong.. But I've got 'sources' telling me that after a stellar job last time, the Melbourne CEO has put in a call to Ben Graham to see if he's free tomorrow afternoon to drive BMac's car away from the club and the media scrum. You know it's over when Ben turns up and asks for your keys.

Twodogs
23-04-2019, 07:20 PM
I don't know if this is a good sign and I may be reading the tea leaves wrong.. But I've got 'sources' telling me that after a stellar job last time, the Melbourne CEO has put in a call to Ben Graham to see if he's free tomorrow afternoon to drive BMac's car away from the club and the media scrum. You know it's over when Ben turns up and asks for your keys.

Hah! B-Mac's 'bad news' chauffeur.

"I never thought we'd find ourselves doing this again Brendan"

"Just ****ing drive Ben, I'm not in the mood"

GVGjr
23-04-2019, 07:27 PM
As I have stated before, I have no issues bringing in a fresh senior coach, but you used the words disciplinarian. That word conjures up a hard man. We don't need someone to crack the whip, we need an advisor to Bevo, a strategists with some fresh ideas.

In my opinion if someone had have cracked the whip early in 2017 I don't think we would have endured two poor seasons after the flag. Strategy is something completely different and I still believe there is merit in getting someone in who offers a vast contrast to Bevo's approach with players.

Twodogs
23-04-2019, 07:36 PM
In my opinion if someone had have cracked the whip early in 2017 I don't think we would have endured two poor seasons after the flag. Strategy is something completely different and I still believe there is merit in getting someone in who offers a vast contrast to Bevo's approach with players.

I disagree. What if we had cracked the whip and the players went the other way? You can't always assume that just because you get tough that people are going to fall into line. Especially if that's not your normal way, you can't fake toughness, the group would be right onto it and you would lose any respect that you already had.

Besides we'd just won the flag. The group would just think "We've just won a flag, WTF makes these guys happy? What's the point"

We needed to communicate what we wanted better and what standards were required.

GVGjr
23-04-2019, 07:48 PM
I disagree. What if we had cracked the whip and the players went the other way? You can't always assume that just because you get tough that people are going to fall into line. Especially if that's not your normal way, you can't fake toughness, the group would be right onto it and you would lose any respect that you already had.

Besides we'd just won the flag. The group would just think "We've just won a flag, WTF makes these guys happy? What's the point"

We needed to communicate what we wanted better and what standards were required.

It's needed to sort out the people who want to be there for the right reason. When talented players aren't performing, and we had to move on so many of them because of it, then it's clear to me that the warm and fuzzy approach we seemed to accept was a failure.
If people wanted a gap year or two then it's time for them to move on. We got tough with one rookie and sent him packing but somehow we allowed others to slacken off. Being inconsistent with how you apply the standards is a blueprint for failure.

I'm always amazed that so many supporters have just meekly accepted the 2 bad years since the flag like there was nothing else that could have been done

Twodogs
23-04-2019, 08:12 PM
It's needed to sort out the people who want to be there for the right reason. When talented players aren't performing, and we had to move on so many of them because of it, then it's clear to me that the warm and fuzzy approach we seemed to accept was a failure.
If people wanted a gap year or two then it's time for them to move on. We got tough with one rookie and sent him packing but somehow we allowed others to slacken off. Being inconsistent with how you apply the standards is a blueprint for failure.

I'm always amazed that so many supporters have just meekly accepted the 2 bad years since the flag like there was nothing else that could have been done

I'm not saying that we need to be warm and fuzzy, or to worry about putting noses out of joint. I'm saying that you cant fake that sort of attitude and if you do the players will just laugh at you. They aren't stupid and if you try to act in a manner that's not your normal manner the players will switch off.

If we need a disciplinarian then we are going to have to import one because none of the current coaching panel have it in them.

MrMahatma
23-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Everyone needs to be held to account.

But let’s face it, players who partied and didn’t put in the effort (or that’s the story) were moved on.

Yelling at blokes won’t fix it.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 09:29 PM
Everyone needs to be held to account.

But let’s face it, players who partied and didn’t put in the effort (or that’s the story) were moved on.

Yelling at blokes won’t fix it.

Have you listened to the Rocket threat yet?

angelopetraglia
23-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Some more information.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Some more information. Sounds like déjÃ* vu https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/afl/afl-2019-significant-tension-between-brendan-mccartney-and-key-melbourne-players/news-story/8a168d8104afc5b00812a046ef1594bd#click=https://t.co/6orgwrFi6b

GVGjr
23-04-2019, 10:26 PM
I'm not saying that we need to be warm and fuzzy, or to worry about putting noses out of joint. I'm saying that you cant fake that sort of attitude and if you do the players will just laugh at you. They aren't stupid and if you try to act in a manner that's not your normal manner the players will switch off.

If we need a disciplinarian then we are going to have to import one because none of the current coaching panel have it in them.

And that's exactly what I suggested and what you appear to have challenged

MrMahatma
24-04-2019, 12:22 AM
Have you listened to the Rocket threat yet?

Next stop: motivational speaker.

Wouldn’t mind having some of that audio as a ring tone.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-05-2019, 09:48 PM
I fully understand your frustrations. What was experienced was in keeping with the fallout following our ‘54 flag and ‘61 GF appearance. We have had a history of a similar trend over 60 years. At the end of the day it comes down to Leadership at Board and Management Level. Bevo is one cog in a big wheel. One of only two people to Coach us to a Premiership in 93 years

FrediKanoute
02-05-2019, 12:51 AM
I fully understand your frustrations. What was experienced was in keeping with the fallout following our ‘54 flag and ‘61 GF appearance. We have had a history of a similar trend over 60 years. At the end of the day it comes down to Leadership at Board and Management Level. Bevo is one cog in a big wheel. One of only two people to Coach us to a Premiership in 93 years

Spot on! When you win 2 flags in 100 years, you would have had to have been Adolf Hitler to keep a lid on the place. It just was not going to happen. The fact its taken until 2019 years for people to get mildly p*ssed is not remarkable, but essentially a reflection of just how BIG a deal winning the flag in 2016 was. No kidding but for some fans it was the BIGGEST day of their lives!

comrade
02-05-2019, 09:28 AM
Spot on! When you win 2 flags in 100 years, you would have had to have been Adolf Hitler to keep a lid on the place. It just was not going to happen. The fact its taken until 2019 years for people to get mildly p*ssed is not remarkable, but essentially a reflection of just how BIG a deal winning the flag in 2016 was. No kidding but for some fans it was the BIGGEST day of their lives!

You're on the money. I couldn't have cared less what happened in 2017, was kind of miffed in 2018 and now I'm starting to get a bit p*ssed at how badly we are capable of playing.

1eyedog
02-05-2019, 05:15 PM

2016 Flag, birth of kid one, birth of kid two. I'm a selfish, self-centered old bastard.

Twodogs
03-05-2019, 01:01 PM
2016 Flag, birth of kid one, birth of kid two. I'm a selfish, self-centered old bastard.

When I got home the first thing my daughter wanted to know was how good it felt, was a premiership all it was cracked up to be? I started to tell her how the day(s) her and her brother were born were no longer the greatest day of my life. She said "Well, durrr, I have already figured that out for myself!"