PDA

View Full Version : Redpath Upgraded - Austin Greenwood gone

bornadog
27-10-2014, 04:48 PM
The Western Bulldogs have made a further three changes to its list ahead of the first lodgement deadline this Friday.

Power forward Jack Redpath has been rewarded for a promising 2014 season with an upgrade to the primary list, and joins Lin Jong as promoted rookies.

Mark Austin and Alex Greenwood have both been advised that they will not be offered positions on the playing list for the 2015 season.

List Manager Jason McCartney acknowledged the outgoing players for their dedication while at the Club.

“We thank both Mark and Alex for the commitment they’ve shown throughout their time at Whitten Oval,” McCartney said.

“Both players have conducted themselves with a high level of professionalism , and we wish them the very best for the future.”

The Bulldogs enter the upcoming draft in a strong position with five picks inside 46, including three second round selections.

bornadog
27-10-2014, 04:49 PM
In:
Lin Jong (upgraded to senior list)
Jack Redpath (upgraded to senior list)
Tom Boyd (GWS)
Shane Biggs (Sydney)
Zaine Cordy (father-son selection)

Out:
Daniel Giansiracusa (retired)
Tom Williams (retired)
Brett Goodes (delisted)
Christian Howard (delisted)
Tom Young (delisted)
Mark Austin (delisted)
Alex Greenwood (delisted)
Liam Jones (Carlton)
Ryan Griffen (GWS)
Shaun Higgins (North Melbourne)
Adam Cooney (Essendon)

No News on Tutt.

ledge
27-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Greenwood might have been a little unlucky but the others weren't a big surprise.

chef
27-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Cool

LostDog
27-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Gotta say I'm excited, does actually feel like a new era.
Hopefully we now shake this near enough is good enough attitude
Well Done Doggies

GVGjr
27-10-2014, 05:00 PM
That's about in line with expectations. Greenwood wouldn't have been an easy departure decision and with Austin gone I think it signals that we need to look for defenders.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Good decisions all round I think.

Doc26
27-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Does Daniel Pearce still have another year to run ?

Greystache
27-10-2014, 05:04 PM
That's about in line with expectations. Greenwood wouldn't have been an easy departure decision and with Austin gone I think it signals that we need to look for defenders.

Agree.

I'd like to see Greenwood stay on at Footscray, there's a decent chance that at 25 he may get another look. He just need to mature physically which he may do as he gets older. He's a neat player.

Templeton31
27-10-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm surprised Austin is gone. I know he wasn't popular with supporters but he played a lot of games this season and we are light on for key defenders. He also managed to do quite well with limited pre season.

bornadog
27-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Jack Redpath ‏@RedpathJack (https://twitter.com/RedpathJack) 17m17 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/RedpathJack/status/526596729185894400)
So stoked to be given the opportunity by such a great club @westernbulldogs (https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs) for 2015. Can't wait to rip into it #pumped (https://twitter.com/hashtag/pumped?src=hash) #godoggies (https://twitter.com/hashtag/godoggies?src=hash)

bornadog
27-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Agree.

I'd like to see Greenwood stay on at Footscray, there's a decent chance that at 25 he may get another look. He just need to mature physically which he may do as he gets older. He's a neat player.

According to his bio he just turned 21.

Doc26
27-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Jack Redpath ‏@RedpathJack (https://twitter.com/RedpathJack) 17m17 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/RedpathJack/status/526596729185894400)
So stoked to be given the opportunity by such a great club @westernbulldogs (https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs) for 2015. Can't wait to rip into it #pumped (https://twitter.com/hashtag/pumped?src=hash) #godoggies (https://twitter.com/hashtag/godoggies?src=hash)

Nice tweet by Jack. It is very refreshing to hear when our players talk up our great Club and want to be a part of it.

GVGjr
27-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Nice tweet by Jack. It is very refreshing to hear when our players talk up our great Club and want to be a part of it.

It's a tremendous reward for his good form and I'd say he understands that. He seems to be a spirited player and it doesn't surprise me that he is so appreciative for this chance

bornadog
27-10-2014, 05:15 PM
It's a tremendous reward for his good form and I'd say he understands that. He seems to be a spirited player and it doesn't surprise me that he is so appreciative for this chance

Do you think we will play him in defence?

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Yeh I didn't think Greenwood was 25?

Happy with these changes, big Jack is not good enough in my opinion, but sure hope he can prove me wrong.

Good luck to Mark an Alex, wish them the best of luck. Fuller very lucky and saved by his rookie contract.

Go dogs!

Remi Moses
27-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Not surprised .
Austin just goes to ground to often for an AFL standard defender.
Not great one on one either. Time for Roberts and Talia to step up, and I'd say we'll be drafting a key back

bornadog
27-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Not surprised .
Austin just goes to ground to often for an AFL standard defender.
Not great one on one either. Time for Roberts and Talia to step up, and I'd say we'll be drafting a key back

Both still only 21 (although turning 22 early next year), but they have a big task ahead of them.

GVGjr
27-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Do you think we will play him in defence?

They have tried him there so it might be in the back of their minds for next season.
If he could do that it might free up Roughead to give Will a chop out.

Greystache
27-10-2014, 05:20 PM
According to his bio he just turned 21.

Obviously.

Which means if he can fill out over the next 4 years when he's 25 he may get another chance. Other people can look at the club website too you realise?

w3design
27-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Would love to see Redpath and Campbell really step up this year.
What a monster forward line it could be with Boyd, Redpath and Campbell and then throw in Crameri and Stringer.
I know it's a word thrown around a lot, but the pertential of this team is really exciting.

bornadog
27-10-2014, 05:24 PM
obviously.

Which means if he can fill out over the next 4 years when he's 25 he may get another chance. other people can look at the club website too you realise?

dislike button

Mofra
27-10-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm surprised Austin is gone. I know he wasn't popular with supporters but he played a lot of games this season and we are light on for key defenders. He also managed to do quite well with limited pre season.
Agree - we must consider a mature KPD as rookie cover.
We seem very light on for key defenders, moreso for key defenders who can take the faster leading forwards (given Roberts & Roughy are fairly slow).

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Obviously.

Which means if he can fill out over the next 4 years when he's 25 he may get another chance. Other people can look at the club website too you realise?

I read your original post differently as well Greystache, thought you were saying he was already 25, no harm no foul.

always right
27-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Obviously.

I don't understand the attitude. I reckon many reading your original post would have guessed you had thought Greenwood was a little older.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Good to hear big Red getting the promotion. Any word on contract length?

Greystache
27-10-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't understand the attitude. I reckon many reading your original post would have guessed you had thought Greenwood was a little older.

Very few players who were drafted 3 years ago as 18 years olds would be 25 now. But thanks for contributing.

Axe Man
27-10-2014, 05:52 PM
In:
Lin Jong (upgraded to senior list)
Jack Redpath (upgraded to senior list)
Tom Boyd (GWS)
Shane Biggs (Sydney)
Zaine Cordy (father-son selection)

Out:
Daniel Giansiracusa (retired)
Tom Williams (retired)
Brett Goodes (delisted)
Christian Howard (delisted)
Tom Young (delisted)
Mark Austin (delisted)
Alex Greenwood (delisted)
Liam Jones (Carlton)
Ryan Griffen (GWS)
Shaun Higgins (North Melbourne)
Adam Cooney (Essendon)

No News on Tutt.

So at present we have 9 off the primary list and 5 on leaving 4 spots to be filled. I assume Tutt or somebody else will go so that we will use pick 46, otherwise we have traded Jones to Carlton for nothing.

Cyberdoggie
27-10-2014, 06:00 PM
So at present we have 9 off the primary list and 5 on leaving 4 spots to be filled. I assume Tutt or somebody else will go so that we will use pick 46, otherwise we have traded Jones to Carlton for nothing.

I think they are still deciding on Pearce and Tutt.

I've seen Fuller on the bulldogs tv already in training with Morris and others, so he should be locked in.

Would surprise me if we only went with four live picks, although we do have plenty of rookie spots to fill.
Perhaps Pearce may be delisted to be potentially rookied.

bornadog
27-10-2014, 06:05 PM

I would presume Tutt will be confirmed in the next few days.

Greystache
27-10-2014, 06:11 PM
I think they are still deciding on Pearce and Tutt.

I've seen Fuller on the bulldogs tv already in training with Morris and others, so he should be locked in.

Would surprise me if we only went with four live picks, although we do have plenty of rookie spots to fill.
Perhaps Pearce may be delisted to be potentially rookied.

You'd have to think we delist at least one of Tutt and Pearce, or possibly both.

I wouldn't persist with Tutt, he's been on the list 5 years, has made minimal improvement, and still looks years away from being a regular. It's time to move on. Pearce I don't think has the tools to make the grade, but he goes in hard, has a good attitude, and is trying to develop as requested to take the game on. I just think he doesn't really have the speed or strength to do it successfully.

Fuller was very unimpressive this year, but given we invested quite a bit in recruiting him, we should give him every opportunity. So I'm not fussed if he's retained. He had shoulder issues this season which might have held him back, but even still I don't see an AFL player in him personally.

KT31
27-10-2014, 06:14 PM
You would think we will have one more delisting still to come, with our picks starting in the second round we really need to use all five of our decent picks to give us the best chance of getting a couple of quality long term footballers.

bornadog
27-10-2014, 06:15 PM
You would think we will have one more delisting still to come, with our picks starting in the second round we really need to use all five of our decent picks to give us the best chance of getting a couple of quality long term footballers.

Tutt asked to leave so you would think he is the one.

always right
27-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Very few players who were drafted 3 years ago as 18 years olds would be 25 now. But thanks for contributing.

I was assuming he could physically develop in a shorter time frame....thereby questioning the 25 year old reference. But thanks for your sarcasm.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Congrats REDDERS! I think they'll use him more as a swingman, go back to stop a run on,go foward to pinch a goal or two!! Can't wait for next year!!:D

Sedat
27-10-2014, 07:20 PM
I was all for retaining Austin with about 6-8 weeks to go this season because of our lack of key defensive depth, but he really did stink it up in the last couple of months. Anyway time for Roberts and Talia to get off the training wheels.

Before I Die
27-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Greenwood might have been a little unlucky but the others weren't a big surprise.

i have a little insider knowledge and i am aware that Alex got very positive feedback at his exit interview with the two Macca's, especially from BMac. The rookies were initially told their fates would be determined by Thursday 16 October. But that was all before the Dismissal (2014 version).

Webby
27-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Congrats REDDERS! I think they'll use him more as a swingman, go back to stop a run on,go foward to pinch a goal or two!! Can't wait for next year!!:D

I hope they try him down back, too. He could be a really, really good defender, IMO. I'm not sold on him as a forward - even though he is quite a good kick for goal. He should develop some more fitness and speed off the mark now that he's a listed league player. I'm also hoping they bring in Jayden Foster via a similar route to league footy. If he's anything like his dad, he'll be a gun.

ratsmac
27-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Happy with these changes. Austin is a real trier but gets beaten one on one too often. This is best for the club imo.

I didn't see much of Greenwood to really have an opinion but that fact that he couldn't break into a team that hasn't finished above 14th in the past 3 or so years is telling.

I am happy to see big Jack given a contact. I believe we haven't seen anything close to his best yet but now it's time for him to repay the faith that the club has shown in him. Maybe they have employed him purely as Tom Boyd's body guard.

Good luck for the future to all these lads.

F'scary
27-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Can't wait to see Big Redders line up for the GWS game.

LostDoggy
27-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Wasn't convinced on upgrading big red after his short stint in the seniors near the end of the year. However his physicality and toughness in the vfl grand final was really impressive. Hoping he can translate this into a senior spot as I can really see him becoming a fan favourite with his attitude and love for the club.

Bulldog Revolution
27-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Good luck to these guys

No good keeping Greenwood with Prudden on the list as our development inside mid

Austin a little unlucky given how underwhelming Talia and Roberts were this year - I must be one of the sceptics when it come to Roberts - he's just seemed too slow when Ive seen him

If Redpath can have another year like last and make big improvements then he will make it

The Bulldogs Bite
27-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Good list changes.

Redpath deserved an upgrade - he has improved a fair bit since first arriving. He's a presence, arguably the best kick for goal in our squad and has a very good attitude. No guarantees he makes it, but this is a sensible decision.

I hope we cut both Tutt and Pearce. Neither can play.

azabob
27-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Unless things dramatically change Pearce, Fuller, Grant and A.Cordy will be moved on post 2015.

I have assumed Tutt is already gone.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Redpath needs to play defence, his hands are so hard he's not a good enough mark. So just get him to punch it, ergo, play him in defence. Let him to crash into opposition forwards, I'd rather them off the ground injured first.

Remi Moses
28-10-2014, 03:18 AM
Unless things dramatically change Pearce, Fuller, Grant and A.Cordy will be moved on post 2015.

I have assumed Tutt is already gone.

Agree on all except Cordy . He has to start getting played more regularly next season.

whythelongface
28-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Happy with the list changes thus far.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Im guessing this means we take 26,27,39,40 and 46 to the draft as well as recruiting 4 new rookies. Tutt is as good as gone.

40 is actually 45. Not sure why we haven't made the call on Tutt yet.

soupman
28-10-2014, 11:38 AM
All may not be as it seems.

In response to a tweet thanking him for being a Bulldog, Greenwood replied:

Thanks buddy, hopefully I can stay a bulldog through the rookie draft. Appreciate the support

So that would indicate that the club has at least indicated that they may be interested in retaining him, and that it is possible to do in a similar manner to how the senior list spots used to be downgraded where they are de-listed, go through the draft and get picked up again after everyone else has passed them over.

Avoid the rush
28-10-2014, 12:10 PM
I reckon Greenwood was born in October 1993. Makes him 22!!

Avoid the rush
28-10-2014, 12:11 PM
OOOPs 21

Jeanette54
28-10-2014, 06:09 PM
I would have signed Redpath simply on his VFL Grand Final effort. Those 3 big tackles were obviously meant to hurt, and did. I was close enough to one of these to see his eyes before impact. Felt sorry for the opposition player before it happened. Much safer on my side of the fence I think.

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Very happy with Redpath upgrade. The thought of him and Boyd lumbering out on the lead is thrilling.

Before I Die
29-10-2014, 12:53 AM
All may not be as it seems.

In response to a tweet thanking him for being a Bulldog, Greenwood replied:

So that would indicate that the club has at least indicated that they may be interested in retaining him, and that it is possible to do in a similar manner to how the senior list spots used to be downgraded where they are de-listed, go through the draft and get picked up again after everyone else has passed them over.

Greenwood has been asked to keep training with the club, Austin is gonski, Greenwood's future will depend on the views of the new coach. I don't think they want a complete set of 18 year olds on the rookie list. The preference is for some speculative picks and some senior ready back-ups. Greenwood now falls into the latter category.

LostDoggy
04-11-2014, 03:01 PM
I also think Greenwood deserves to be rookied. He improved an awful lot last year.