PDA

View Full Version : Eade to Gold Coast?

azabob
27-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Rumours Eade has been offered the senior job.

If so, well done Rocket.

ratsmac
27-10-2014, 09:03 PM
If true, good luck Rocket!
I'd love him to coach the doggies again fwiw

bulldogtragic
27-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Harbrow thinking he was safe up there...

AndrewP6
27-10-2014, 09:53 PM
For his sake, hope this is true. Good luck Rocket!

GVGjr
27-10-2014, 10:12 PM
So has he interviewed? I thought his daughter was in her final year of school next year so he couldn't contemplate a interstate move.

azabob
27-10-2014, 10:37 PM
So has he interviewed? I thought his daughter was in her final year of school next year so he couldn't contemplate a interstate move.

The reports are saying GCS came to melbourne today

AndrewP6
27-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Mark Stevens on Twitter, a 'posse' of Suns flew down on the weekend.

KT31
27-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Good luck to Rocket if true.

bornadog
27-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Ran into Rocket yesterday at Masters Hardware and had a quick chat. Asked him about coaching again and GC and he smiled and said you never know.

Twodogs
28-10-2014, 01:05 AM
Good luck Rocket. A great opportunity to lose that tag of having coached the most games without coaching a flag. Couldn't happen to a more deserving of blokes. I haven't met many people who understand the true essence of footy like Rodney Eade does.

Ghost Dog
28-10-2014, 01:07 AM
Besides Terry Wheeler, my fav all time Dogs coach. All the best to you fella.
Ross Lyon said Bulldogs circa Rodney Eade were the hardest to coach against.

Twodogs
28-10-2014, 01:23 AM
Doesn't really show up in the head to head of 2 to 7. Then again we ran them close a couple of times and it came down to they had Rievoldt and Lenny Hayes and we didn't.

boydogs
28-10-2014, 03:02 AM
Probably not good for us if they get him, they will be our main competition in our next window

Remi Moses
28-10-2014, 03:08 AM
Good luck to Rocket.
He deserves a flag

Topdog
28-10-2014, 03:43 AM
Got a lot of time for Rocket but GC are going to be our rivals in the next 5 years.

Mantis
28-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Got a lot of time for Rocket but GC are going to be our rivals in the next 5 years.

And they are a long way in front of us too.. Whilst we probably expect to finish bottom 4, GC will be pushing towards a top 6 spot.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2014, 01:39 PM
He'd be a good fit for them, but it will be interesting to see if he's able to develop a new game plan. Ironically, GC's weakness is/was similar to ours in the 08-10 period (mental toughness, leadership).

They are a long way off it mentally. The games without Ablett prove this - they were disgraceful after his injury this year.

On paper though, Eade is the best of the lot for them.

Remi Moses
28-10-2014, 02:52 PM
And they are a long way in front of us too.. Whilst we probably expect to finish bottom 4, GC will be pushing towards a top 6 spot.

I agree.
Reckon we're in the next line of contenders

bornadog
28-10-2014, 02:55 PM

Great lifestyle as well. Coach for say three years (or more depending on success) and see how it goes, rake in the money and retire nicely thank you.

Happy Days
28-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Probably not good for us if they get him, they will be our main competition in our next window

GC could be coached by a wet paper bag and still probably win 2 flags, might as well be done by someone we like.

Bulldog Revolution
28-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Good luck to Rocket.
He deserves a flag

Im sure we all agree he deserved a flag with us!!!

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Ran into Rocket yesterday at Masters Hardware and had a quick chat. Asked him about coaching again and GC and he smiled and said you never know.

Getting some supplies to keep Ablett's body together, I'm guessing.

Im sure we all agree he deserved a flag with us!!!

As Clint says in The Unforgiven, "Deserves got nothing to do with it."

Hotdog60
28-10-2014, 04:54 PM
It's now official, Rocket goes up the Suns.

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Great appointment for Rocket, also a great appointment from a Bulldogs perspective. This does not dillute the pool of coaching candidates

bornadog
28-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Yes, agree Great appointment for GC. They should play finals next year, in fact should have played this year.

They have some great kids who need to take the next step.

AndrewP6
28-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Great news, very happy for Rocket. Hope he is successful (except against us!)

boydogs
28-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Great appointment for Rocket, also a great appointment from a Bulldogs perspective. This does not dillute the pool of coaching candidates

Yeah good point. Not like they got Ratten or Tudor.

bornadog
28-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Great article h (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/veteran-coach-rodney-eade-a-real-chance-to-finally-land-elusive-flag-with-gold-coast-suns-20141028-11d3dc.html)ere on Rocket and his love of the game.

ledge
28-10-2014, 06:42 PM
If anyone still talks to rocket from here could you please inform him we at WOOF wish him the best and he is always welcome to comment on his game plan etc for us to pass on :-)

chef
28-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Good luck to Rocket.

I thought he really struggled with the modern game towards the end of his stint with us so it with be interesting to see how he goes third time round, I'm not confident that he'll be a success.

Remi Moses
28-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Blimey, Collingwood looking at 400 grand for compo !!:(

Topdog
28-10-2014, 07:28 PM

Eddit was explaning that this morning, with the salary cap on football departments some compo is needed. Was Eade on > $400k a year at the pies though

KT31
29-10-2014, 01:15 AM

What aright pack of tossers, would give any future assistant mind to take notice and reconsider signing with them.
If they rate Eade that much give him the senior job because the bloke they have is a prize spud.

Remi Moses
29-10-2014, 01:19 AM
How on earth is a football director on 400 gorillas a year?
Collingwood down to about 400 hangers on

Remi Moses
29-10-2014, 01:21 AM
Eddit was explaning that this morning, with the salary cap on football departments some compo is needed. Was Eade on > $400k a year at the pies though

Quoted on AW last night .
Great gig if true

GVGjr
29-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Does anyone think Eddie is right to ask for compensation for losing a contracted senior member of his footy department?
I don't for one minute think they will get what he is asking for but I think they deserve something.

Player and footy administrators want the security that contracts provide them and fight hard for it but they also appear to be able to want to break it when it suits them.

I was under the impression that years back most aspiring coaches had a get out of contract clause if they were offered a senior coaching position. Perhaps there needs to be better definitions within the contracts rather than just 3 years at a certain sum of money

chef
29-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Yes. They are losing a contracted employee so they are entitled to compensation.

soupman
29-10-2014, 09:05 AM
I was under the impression that years back most aspiring coaches had a get out of contract clause if they were offered a senior coaching position. Perhaps there needs to be better definitions within the contracts rather than just 3 years at a certain sum of money

I think this clause would normally be in the contract, but because Rockets role has "Football Manager/Director" they structured so that he was not an assistant but instead a similar level to a coach, thus negating the need to have a "promotion get out clause" as such.

Sedat
29-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Rocket is a terrific match-day coach and also underrated with his off-field promotional work. He will do well at GC.

I think the 'no premiership' stat is a red herring when it comes to Rocket - Sydney and the Dogs were never the best teams in terms of pure talent in any of the years that he was coach. I would say that his talents and tactical acumen as a senior coach extracted absolute maximum performance out of the teams he coached, and that they were simply not quite good enough to win a premiership in any given year.

The improvement he got out of a bunch of players at the crossroads when he took over in 2004 speaks volumes for his ability to get the best out of his players - our best 6 players in the early 2000's were Grant, Darcy, Smith, West, Johnno and Nathan Brown, and of that group only Johnno played any meaningful role during the Rocket years. What he did to get the optimum output out of the likes of Cross, Boyd, Hargrave, Hahn, Gilbee, Murphy, Gia, Lake, etc.. when all of them were at the crossroads as AFL players at the end of 2004 is testament to Rocket's motivational ability. It's too easy to say in hindsight that this group had the talent - Rocket nurtured their talent and got the best out of them.

I wish him well - he is a good football person and a great bloke.

Bulldog4life
29-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Yes. They are losing a contracted employee so they are entitled to compensation.

Port Adelaide got $20,000 when Richardson left Port according to the HUN.

bornadog
29-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Port Adelaide got $20,000 when Richardson left Port according to the HUN.

That will do for Collingwood as well.:D

Murphy'sLore
29-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Where are they suggesting this compensation should come from? Surely if they are serious about this, it should be payable by Rocket himself, since he is the one who has broken the contract. It's not like there is a Contract Fairy who can leave 400 grand under Eddie's pillow.

chef
29-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Where are they suggesting this compensation should come from? Surely if they are serious about this, it should be payable by Rocket himself, since he is the one who has broken the contract. It's not like there is a Contract Fairy who can leave 400 grand under Eddie's pillow.

I would have thought it would have to come from GC, which would he fair enough.

mjp
30-10-2014, 01:38 PM
3rd round draft pick.

Greystache
30-10-2014, 02:28 PM
3rd round draft pick.

Which they'd immediately on trade for some fringe player from another club!

divvydan
30-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I would've thought if there was to be any financial compensation given this cap it should be covering the costs of the hiring/interviewing process for the next person. So something in the 10-20k range seems reasonable from that point of view.

AndrewP6
30-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Finally official.http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-30/suns-finally-confirm-eade.mobileapp

Bulldog4life
02-11-2014, 04:36 PM
A different take on Rocket.

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/beware-of-eade,-seymour-warns-suns/tabid/91/newsid/146988/default.aspx?cid=SF_LOWDOWN_AFL_article_bewareofeadeseymourw arnssuns_311014

Former Sydney defender Brad Seymour has blasted the appointment of Rodney Eade to the Gold Coast Suns, predicting the former Bulldogs and Swans coach will leave a trail of carnage in his wake.

On Thursday, the Suns officially unveiled Eade as their next head coach after Collingwood agreed to release him from the last two years of his contract as director of football.

Eade, a veteran of 314 AFL games as coach of the Swans and Bulldogs, joins the Suns on a three-year deal for his first head coaching appointment since 2011.

Suns chairman John Witheriff championed the appointment in a statement, saying an experienced coach is the next step in the expansion club's bid to play finals football.

But Seymour, who played under Eade at the Swans from his 1996 appointment until he was replaced by Paul Roos inn 2002, says they've got no idea what they're in for.

"He got shown the door at Sydney, he got shown the door at the Western Bulldogs," Seymour told the SportsFan Clubhouse.

"The Gold Coast Suns hierarchy must see something that I don't, because I'm astounded by this decision."

Though renowned as an astute tactician and football brain, Eade's confrontational style of coaching eventually ended in player revolts at both the Swans and Bulldogs.

Seymour suspects Eade would not be coaching again were it not for a lack of viable, experienced candidates for the Suns role.

"I think it's a reflection of a very shallow coaching pool that we have at the moment," he added.

"A lot of clubs in recent times have gone for younger coaches. Adelaide have bucked that trend a little going with Phil Walsh, and the same now has happened with the Suns.

"I think this is going to be a two-year honeymoon period for the Suns, but get ready for carnage after that because this can't end well."

Remi Moses
02-11-2014, 05:09 PM
I think Seymour has a bee in his Bonet on Eade.
Vaguely recall him giving him a bake a while ago.

Topdog
02-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Sometimes it's best to just stay quiet

Rocket Science
03-11-2014, 11:14 AM
A different take on Rocket.

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/beware-of-eade,-seymour-warns-suns/tabid/91/newsid/146988/default.aspx?cid=SF_LOWDOWN_AFL_article_bewareofeadeseymourw arnssuns_311014

Former Sydney defender Brad Seymour has blasted the appointment of Rodney Eade to the Gold Coast Suns, predicting the former Bulldogs and Swans coach will leave a trail of carnage in his wake.

On Thursday, the Suns officially unveiled Eade as their next head coach after Collingwood agreed to release him from the last two years of his contract as director of football.

Eade, a veteran of 314 AFL games as coach of the Swans and Bulldogs, joins the Suns on a three-year deal for his first head coaching appointment since 2011.

Suns chairman John Witheriff championed the appointment in a statement, saying an experienced coach is the next step in the expansion club's bid to play finals football.

But Seymour, who played under Eade at the Swans from his 1996 appointment until he was replaced by Paul Roos inn 2002, says they've got no idea what they're in for.

"He got shown the door at Sydney, he got shown the door at the Western Bulldogs," Seymour told the SportsFan Clubhouse.

"The Gold Coast Suns hierarchy must see something that I don't, because I'm astounded by this decision."

Though renowned as an astute tactician and football brain, Eade's confrontational style of coaching eventually ended in player revolts at both the Swans and Bulldogs.

Seymour suspects Eade would not be coaching again were it not for a lack of viable, experienced candidates for the Suns role.

"I think it's a reflection of a very shallow coaching pool that we have at the moment," he added.

"A lot of clubs in recent times have gone for younger coaches. Adelaide have bucked that trend a little going with Phil Walsh, and the same now has happened with the Suns.

"I think this is going to be a two-year honeymoon period for the Suns, but get ready for carnage after that because this can't end well."

---------

Found this of most interest.

Great time to be hunting for a coach. Particularly when our next senior appointment's widely regarded as one we just HAVE to get right.

azabob
03-11-2014, 11:16 AM
---------

Found this of most interest.

Great time to be hunting for a coach. Particularly when our next senior appointment's widely regarded as one we just HAVE to get right.

Blind Freddy knew before we made the call that their was no obvious candidate to get the top job.