PDA

View Full Version : Footy is back at the Whitten Oval

GVGjr
28-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Just announced a NAB Challenge game between us and the Tigers will be played at the Whitten Oval.

Now for all you people who regard the NAB challenge as a nonsense you might want to have a rethink :)

bulldogtragic
28-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Just announced a NAB Challenge game between us and the Tigers will be played at the Whitten Oval.

Now for all you people who regard the NAB challenge as a nonsense you might want to have a rethink :)

i love Dave Grohl

GVGjr
28-10-2014, 12:11 PM
AFL FOOTBALL will return to Whitten Oval next year, with games to be played in every state across Australia during the 2015 NAB Challenge.

The Western Bulldogs will do battle with Richmond at the historic venue in Footscray on February 28

GVGjr
28-10-2014, 12:14 PM
It's a Saturday game as well but I know people don't like the 4.40pm time ;)

bornadog
28-10-2014, 12:19 PM
It's a Saturday game as well but I know people don't like the 4.40pm time ;)

Perhaps in the heat, its a good time

Greystache
28-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Great news.

A number of clubs play their intraclub matches there so it only makes sense we can play a NAB Challenge there.

You'd think the AFL would insist on the temp fences being installed given only AFL members get in free.

Flamethrower
28-10-2014, 12:37 PM
All club members get into NAB Challenge games for free next year.

Greystache
28-10-2014, 12:55 PM
All club members get into NAB Challenge games for free next year.

Good change, and well overdue.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Awesome news.

Twodogs
28-10-2014, 02:18 PM
If we can spin this right we can fill the ground. Turn it into an annual event. Start the season at a Whitten Oval.

How many turned up for the final? Was it 3500, 4000? You wouldn't want many more than that.

Webby
28-10-2014, 02:24 PM
It'll be enormous. Beautiful summer evening, stop off in Footscray for dinner and a drink post game.

It will also ensure the club & council get a wriggle on with getting the fence up. I hope it's an aesthetically pleasing fence and not just some rough as guts cyclone fencing or plain advertising boards etc. the club needs to look after its neighbours.

A picketed fence with some ivy-type creepers growing through it would come up trumps... Perhaps some red flowing species with some white and blue flowering ones!?

PS. I am serious! The Footscray area is coming along leaps and bounds. We need to look after the aesthetics.

Eastdog
28-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Great news for our club. Hopefully in future future years we may even play some AFL season games there against those lower drawing interstate sides.

Murphy'sLore
28-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Maybe members could sponsor sections of the fence :)

azabob
28-10-2014, 02:36 PM
If we can spin this right we can fill the ground. Turn it into an annual event. Start the season at a Whitten Oval.

How many turned up for the final? Was it 3500, 4000? You wouldn't want many more than that.

I would imagine with free admission for members 3500 would be easily achieved.

bornadog
28-10-2014, 02:48 PM

the claim is 7000

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 02:52 PM
the claim is 7000

You don't believe in that figure? It was pretty crowded.

bornadog
28-10-2014, 02:56 PM
You don't believe in that figure? It was pretty crowded.

Maybe the club talking it up, but they did collect tickets so must be close.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2014, 03:11 PM
I wonder what parameters will be put into place if a crowd of 10-15,000 show up?

It wouldn't be totally out of reach given it'll be the 'new era': new coach, Tom Boyd, start of the season, first game since 97 etc.

Eastdog
28-10-2014, 03:20 PM
I wonder what parameters will be put into place if a crowd of 10-15,000 show up?

It wouldn't be totally out of reach given it'll be the 'new era': new coach, Tom Boyd, start of the season, first game since 97 etc.

I don't think it will be that big of a crowd but I love the optimism TBB and that would be fantastic.

- the timeslot
- pre season game

2 factors that might not allow for the 10-15,000

Twodogs
28-10-2014, 03:24 PM
It will have to be ticket only. I don't think you could more than 5000 given some of the ground will be set aside for corporates. Unless we don't have the corporate bit and just have people who want to watch football.

Twodogs
28-10-2014, 03:31 PM
The AFL have done us a favour with Richmond though.

We should have have a curtain raiser. Footscray v Richmond. We've both got our own stand alone teams.

KT31
28-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Nooooo!!!!.
1- This will render my framed picture of the last game worthless.
2- I can't attend this date as i'm in Queensland.
3- If in Queensland and not attending the game I cannot be in the last game picture.

Seriously though it is great news.

bornadog
28-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Nooooo!!!!.
1- This will render my framed picture of the last game worthless.
2- I can't attend this date as i'm in Queensland.
3- If in Queensland and not attending the game I cannot be in the last game picture.

Seriously though it is great news.

Its only NAB practise match, so don't stress out. ;)

BulldogBelle
28-10-2014, 04:48 PM
This is great news!
Looking forward to getting down there and watching the game.
4.40 start is a good time to start at that time of year with the heat.
l would think there would be fairly big crowd. 7000 dogs supporters and 3000 tigers.

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 05:01 PM
I honesty think that once the AFL take full ownership of ES, we are a chance of getting an AFL game against GC or GWS at VUWO......so many acronyms!

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 05:14 PM
VFL curtain raiser would be great!!

bornadog
28-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Second NAB match is in Ballarat (v Dees) followed by Collingwood at Eithad.

dadsgirl16
28-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Fantastic news..can't wait!

boydogs
28-10-2014, 06:19 PM
I don't think it will be that big of a crowd but I love the optimism TBB and that would be fantastic.

- the timeslot
- pre season game

2 factors that might not allow for the 10-15,000

We got 7,000 there for a VFL game against Williamstown. Add Richmond supporters and I would be surprised if it's below 10,000

Go_Dogs
28-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Good news.

Looking forward to February already.

bulldogtragic
28-10-2014, 07:46 PM
So do we play Boyd and have a Altamont concert style situation?

Twodogs
28-10-2014, 09:11 PM
So do we play Boyd and have a Altamont concert style situation?

We can't afford to actually play him. Don't be silly, he might get seriously injured.

He's going straight out to stud.

bulldogtragic
28-10-2014, 09:15 PM
We can't afford to actually play him. Don't be silly, he might get seriously injured.

He's going straight out to stud.

That's quiet Groucho Marx, nice work.

Twodogs
28-10-2014, 09:17 PM
We got 7,000 there for a VFL game against Williamstown. Add Richmond supporters and I would be surprised if it's below 10,000

There were 2 or 3 thousand for the VFL game early in the year.

LostDoggy
28-10-2014, 09:22 PM
I like the way this is heading longer term. Our own ground. A real home ground advantage.

Looking forward to this game.

SonofScray
29-10-2014, 09:24 AM
I like the way this is heading longer term. Our own ground. A real home ground advantage.

Looking forward to this game.

We can only hope.

I'd be absolutely giddy at the prospect of VUWO becoming an option for us against some of the smaller, interstate Clubs in season, or as an annual Back to the Burbs event.

G-Mo77
29-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Awesome news, can't wait to get there again!

Bulldog4life
29-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Second NAB match is in Ballarat (v Dees) followed by Collingwood at Eithad.

The matches against Richmond & Collingwood will be on Foxtel. The match against Melbourne at Ballarat will not. The AFL are hoping to get 10,000 for the match at Whitten oval according to the HUN.

Eastdog
29-10-2014, 12:46 PM
We can only hope.

I'd be absolutely giddy at the prospect of VUWO becoming an option for us against some of the smaller, interstate Clubs in season, or as an annual Back to the Burbs event.

I said before that it would be great in future years if WO was a place we could play against those low drawing interstate sides.

Twodogs
29-10-2014, 03:55 PM
The matches against Richmond & Collingwood will be on Foxtel. The match against Melbourne at Ballarat will not. The AFL are hoping to get 10,000 for the match at Whitten oval according to the HUN.

Interesting.

I'd love to see the old girl rocking like that but I don't think it would cater for that sort of crowd. I wouldn't like to be crammed in there with 9,999 other people. Or maybe Ive just gotten used to the creature comforts at Etihad and the MCG.

bornadog
29-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Interesting.

I'd love to see the old girl rocking like that but I don't think it would cater for that sort of crowd. I wouldn't like to be crammed in there with 9,999 other people. Or maybe I've just gotten used to the creature comforts at Etihad and the MCG.

I noticed the games at WO during the season, most people sit down in the outer and behind the goals. If they had to stand, then you could get 10,000 in.

westdog54
29-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Loved these lines from the article on the AFL website.

"We've worked closely with the Bulldogs who have really requested heavily that they want a game here," Lethlean said on Tuesday.

"They had great success with their VFL team (at the venue) this year and unbelievable government funding support to rebuild parts of the venue."

Hats off to the club for pushing so hard on this.

LostDoggy
29-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Loved these lines from the article on the AFL website.

"We've worked closely with the Bulldogs who have really requested heavily that they want a game here," Lethlean said on Tuesday.

"They had great success with their VFL team (at the venue) this year and unbelievable government funding support to rebuild parts of the venue."

Hats off to the club for pushing so hard on this.

They've had great success because of us! Hats off to US!!

bulldogtragic
29-10-2014, 10:50 PM
I noticed the games at WO during the season, most people sit down in the outer and behind the goals. If they had to stand, then you could get 10,000 in.

My first thought is a long, hot day with beverages means more toilets. My second thought is more toilets.

I lined up for nearly 20 minutes for a whiz in the QF this year.

LostDoggy
29-10-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't remember what the Western Oval toilets were like back in the day (only made 1 game there, the last one), but I will never forget the squalor of the Victoria Park gents at 3/4 time. Required full snorkling gear.

Twodogs
30-10-2014, 12:41 AM
My first thought is a long, hot day with beverages means more toilets. My second thought is more toilets.

I lined up for nearly 20 minutes for a whiz in the QF this year.

It took less time for me to walk home and back to perform the same function. :)

Maddog37
30-10-2014, 10:32 AM
It took less time for me to walk home and back to perform the same function. :)

Excellent. Two dogs has kindly volunteered the use of his amenities for all Woofers from this point on. Thanks TD!:cool:

Twodogs
30-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Excellent. Two dogs has kindly volunteered the use of his amenities for all Woofers from this point on. Thanks TD!:cool:

Won't bother me. I'll be at the footy!

And it's a 2 drink minimum to use the dunny.

LostDoggy
30-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Won't bother me. I'll be at the footy!

And it's a 2 drink minimum to use the dunny.

Fair enough, just make sure your fridge is stocked then.

Twodogs
30-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Fair enough, just make sure your fridge is stocked then.

The last beer I had in my fridge exploded. I had a stubby in there for Justin (case)and the bloody thing froze. I'm thinking "why does the kitchen smell like a brewery?" Open the fridge door and "ah, that's why."

But I'll be sure to get some in.

stefoid
30-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Perhaps in the heat, its a good time

Just dont stand in the outer unless you like squinting - leave that for the richmond fans!

bornadog
30-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Just dont stand in the outer unless you like squinting - leave that for the richmond fans!

true

Twodogs
30-10-2014, 05:39 PM

Hehe. Every time they fall for it.

They should put seating there for the NAB challenge game.

Bulldog4life
30-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Hehe. Every time they fall for it.

They should put seating there for the NAB challenge game.

Yes we don't want them all on OUR side.;)

LostDoggy
31-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Anyone hear Plough's plan yesterday in regards to the A - League GF. Basically if Melb Victory make the GF that the AFL should give the A-League Etihad and reschedule our game against Freo over to VUWO.

Would be absolutely brilliant.

GVGjr
31-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Anyone hear Plough's plan yesterday in regards to the A - League GF. Basically if Melb Victory make the GF that the AFL should give the A-League Etihad and reschedule our game against Freo over to VUWO.

Would be absolutely brilliant.

I'd imagine it will disappoint as many supporters as it delights. How many could we get to a game there? Any more than 8,000 wouldn't be safe.

LostDoggy
31-10-2014, 11:04 AM
I'd imagine it will disappoint as many supporters as it delights. How many could we get to a game there? Any more than 8,000 wouldn't be safe.

I'd be happy to go into a ballot. It is a big problem though what Plough and Harf didn't realise was the amount o space that has been lost due to the elite training centre, etc.

Sedat
31-10-2014, 11:07 AM
The AFL has already done a feasibility study on the development of a 3rd official Melbourne based stadium, for the lower drawing boutique games. There was a thread a few years ago about us being proactive in exploring the Whitten Oval for this purpose - Lantern at the time gave some very interesting insights into how something like this could be successfully implemented and sustained moving forward.

If we continue to push the same barrow and rely on our existing stadium deal with Etihad, I don't see how we can ever really get to the stage of being completely financially independent, have more pull in our FTA TV and blockbuster scheduling, and subsequently able to have a chance to rapidly increase our membership and sponsorship revenues moving forward. At this point in time, if feels like we exist simply to give the AFL one plank in their massive TV rights broadcast deal.

boydogs
31-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Basically if Melb Victory make the GF that the AFL should give the A-League Etihad and reschedule our game against Freo over to VUWO.

They said the same thing on Sportsfan Clubhouse last night

SonofScray
02-11-2014, 10:48 AM
The AFL has already done a feasibility study on the development of a 3rd official Melbourne based stadium, for the lower drawing boutique games. There was a thread a few years ago about us being proactive in exploring the Whitten Oval for this purpose - Lantern at the time gave some very interesting insights into how something like this could be successfully implemented and sustained moving forward.

If we continue to push the same barrow and rely on our existing stadium deal with Etihad, I don't see how we can ever really get to the stage of being completely financially independent, have more pull in our FTA TV and blockbuster scheduling, and subsequently able to have a chance to rapidly increase our membership and sponsorship revenues moving forward. At this point in time, if feels like we exist simply to give the AFL one plank in their massive TV rights broadcast deal.

Games at VUWO could offer a real point of difference for these games which otherwise occur in a very dreary, cavernous environment. Getting the faithful who show up to these games closer to the action, closer together and in an environment that holds a lot of symbolism about the roots that tie us to the game would be ideal. Demand aspect of it means we'd have to pay a premium as well, which I believe most would.

Twodogs
02-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Games at VUWO could offer a real point of difference for these games which otherwise occur in a very dreary, cavernous environment. Getting the faithful who show up to these games closer to the action, closer together and in an environment that holds a lot of symbolism about the roots that tie us to the game would be ideal. Demand aspect of it means we'd have to pay a premium as well, which I believe most would.

We could take the limited attendance at VUWO and turn it into a positive. Playing games there and making the game ticket only would make it the hottest ticket in town for the reasons you have outlined. Getting for the sake of argument 8-10,000thousand at VUWO would pay significantly better than a 14-18 thousand crowd at Etihad. Low crowds at Etihad are a huge loss maker for us as the club have pointed out many times before.