PDA

View Full Version : The number 3 jumper for 2008?

southerncross
07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I think this has been discussed before but after listening to SEN talk about something similar I thought I would throw it up for debate again.

What should the club do with the famous number jumper for next season?

Retire it for a season?
Allocate the jumper to the best younger footballer like Griffen or Cooney?
Start a new tradition and move our current number 29 in Everitt to number 3 for next year?
Just give the bloody thing to Harris and be done with it?

If you have another suggestion then lets hear about it.

LostDoggy
07-11-2007, 07:49 PM
I think Grant should get to choose who to give it to, like Smithy did with number 5

The Coon Dog
07-11-2007, 07:58 PM
I think Grant should get to choose who to give it to, like Smithy did with number 5
Yup, I agree. I liked the way St.Kilda allowed Nathan Burke & Stewart Loewe to decide who would wear their numbers after they retired.

BulldogBelle
07-11-2007, 08:35 PM
No No No - put it into retirement for a year - then it should be given to the player that shows the best improvement in season 2008. Or unless Grant has a specific person in mind.

Max469
07-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Again this question is being asked.

There is no one worthy at the moment.

So in that case - retire it until someone earns it or Mr C Grant decides there is someone he would like it to go to.

Go_Dogs
07-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I voted to retire it for a season.

I don't think that Griff or Cooney will want to change numbers - perhaps they do/will, but I think they have really made their existing numbers their own already.

Someone like Everitt would be a good candidate imo, but as others before me have said, I think Grant should get the final call.

LostDoggy
07-11-2007, 11:45 PM
That is a tough one isnt it.

On one hand I would like to see someone like Griff get it, however on the other hand I wouldnt like to see it passed on until that player is a regular star player.

FrediKanoute
08-11-2007, 12:01 AM
EJ = Roll Royce
Granty = Rolls Royce

Who on our list is in that category at the moment? Sure a lot of average players have worn the number 3, but if there are 2 numbes in the WB which should be reverred then its number 3 and 7 and any player who gets those numbers should be worthy. Westy is a worthy wearer of the number 7, but I don't see anyone worthy of the number 3 at this stage!

The Bulldogs Bite
08-11-2007, 03:28 AM
EJ = Roll Royce
Granty = Rolls Royce

Who on our list is in that category at the moment? Sure a lot of average players have worn the number 3, but if there are 2 numbes in the WB which should be reverred then its number 3 and 7 and any player who gets those numbers should be worthy. Westy is a worthy wearer of the number 7, but I don't see anyone worthy of the number 3 at this stage!

Agreed.

Retire it for a season.

If we're talking Rolls Royce though, Everitt - if he keeps developing - looks a likely prospect for the jumper. He will be able to play anywhere - forward, midfield or defence - similiar to Grant. He's proven he has sublime foot skills and is a fine mark, too. He took a couple strong contested grabs.

Long way to go of course, but I think Everitt has the "makings" as long as he improves like you think he would.

LostDoggy
08-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I voted for retiring it as well. I can't think of a player who is currently in Rolls Royce category, though have a feeling Griffen will soon make his mark.

The Coon Dog
08-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Why do people want to retire a number?

I thought you did that out of respect when someone died!

aker39
08-11-2007, 11:47 AM
I remember reading a high profile player (can't remember who) say that no one player owns a number, that the ckub owns it and the playing is just using it for a period of time.

LostDoggy
08-11-2007, 11:49 AM

We retired it after Teddy didn't we?
For what its worth, I think anytime a player has completed 300 games with a club the number should be retired for one season.
I still think the Hawks number 7 should have been given a season off as well but I understand and appreciate the reasons why he passed it onto West.

bornadog
08-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Number three has been worn by three great Champions of the club since 1936 (apology to players prior to 1936 as I don't know much about them), ie Arthur Oliver, EJ and Grant. Alan Stonenham had the potential but didn't have his heart in it, Mark Kellett and Adrian Campbell were servicable players but not in the same mould.

The tradition should continue, and we need to find a player that will play over 250 games and be a known as a Champion. Its hard to pick who that will be from the current crop, so we should retire the jumper for a year and reassess next year.

Topdog
08-11-2007, 04:29 PM
1 year retirement for me.

Dancin' Douggy
08-11-2007, 04:46 PM
I agree. At least one year retirement. When the time comes it'll be obvious who to give it to. Hopefully a 330 game premiership captain.

Palace03
08-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Allow Grant to choose who gets it. Would love to see Griffen or Everitt wear the famous number 3, both have poise and class like the great man did.

Mingo
10-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Retire it. No rush. Wait for the right player to come along. If it takes 10 years, it takes 10 years.

wimberga
10-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Grant should pick who takes it after him. If he picks to retire it so be it.

Out of personal opinion, i think Williams would be a worthy wearer.

BulldogBelle
10-11-2007, 11:17 PM
The poll indicates majority are in favour of retiring the number 3 for a year which isn't a surprise - shows great respect for the Great Man Grant and it deserves to be retired for 12 months.

aker39
11-11-2007, 01:00 AM
The poll indicates majority are in favour of retiring the number 3 for a year which isn't a surprise - shows great respect for the Great Man Grant and it deserves to be retired for 12 months.

You may think it shows respect for the Great Man, but if you know Chris well enough, you will know that he would want his number to worn next year by an up and coming champion.

Chris Grant is all about the team, not Chris Grant.

Mofra
11-11-2007, 05:40 PM

TCD, personally I feel sorry for any kid that had to wear it next season. How much pressure to put on an young un?

Most players are probably unlikely to switch numbers, which means our no 1 draft pick will probably get it if we don't retire it. Imagine us taking Jarrod Grant at no 5 next year - a Grant wearing no 3, weight of expectation (for a skinny tall forward too) will crush him.

I voted a 1 season retirement.

LostDoggy
11-11-2007, 08:56 PM
TCD, personally I feel sorry for any kid that had to wear it next season. How much pressure to put on an young un?

Most players are probably unlikely to switch numbers, which means our no 1 draft pick will probably get it if we don't retire it. Imagine us taking Jarrod Grant at no 5 next year - a Grant wearing no 3, weight of expectation (for a skinny tall forward too) will crush him.

I voted a 1 season retirement.

I agree that they'll probably face a heap of pressure, but I don't think that 1 year will make any difference to that.

BulldogBelle
11-11-2007, 11:06 PM
You may think it shows respect for the Great Man, but if you know Chris well enough, you will know that he would want his number to worn next year by an up and coming champion.

Yes, he defintely is all about the team that is his character - but I still think it would be nice for the jumper to be retired for 12 months - the best player of our youngsters in 2008 to have the honour of wearing the No. 3 in 2009.

Crizza
12-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Retire the number for season, it is small sign of respect to Chris. There will be a player in the near future who will be able to carry the burden of wearing the clubs' most celebrated number.

Not sure who it will be, but similar to Granty back in the day, someone will emerge, and the 3 jumper can be awarded to them.

Chicago1
13-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Like most, I voted for retire it for a season. That seems like an appropriate mark of respect for Chris even though he may not agree with the individuality of the action being the team player that he was. He then should be allowed to choose, or, at least, help choose, who would wear it in 2009.

My custom has always been to remove a player's picture badge from my footy scarf when they leave the club( I only wear six badges or so). However, Chris' will remain on my scarf until whenever. I'm really glad that he signed a mini-footy for me last year, the only signature I wanted on it. And the signature is in gold, just like the man. :D