PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs Players in 08

wimberga
07-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Which Doggies player are you most looking forward to seeing play next year?

I'd have to say Murphy. Will just be starting to hit his straps now.

Griffen and Minson come a close equal 2nd

The Coon Dog
07-11-2007, 10:06 PM
This might seem silly to some, but it's Ben Hudson for me. I really think the role of a good ruckman is vital as this is where it all starts.

LostDoggy
07-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Strange as this may be but I am looking forward to seeing Andrew McDougall develop into a solid and consistent senior player.

I was impressed with his few games in the backline late in the season and if he can become a good player ..... he wouldnt be a bad pick-up for the club for virtually nothing from the Eagles.

Fpr years we have been criticised for our small backline and all of sudden we could have Harris, Williams, McDougall and Wight to pick from.

FrediKanoute
07-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Griffin and Cooney. I want to see these guys tear games apart like Mitchel and Hodge have done at hawthorn this season!

I want to see how Tiller develops and probably guage better whether he is going to be a part of our future remiership push or whether he is another false dawn.

Skipper is probably the other one I will watch with intrest this year. To me this is his make or break year. he looked the goods late in the year and was starting to stamp some authority on games. I will be looking for him to do the same next year!

beaser
08-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Sean Higgins will hopefully develop further and show he can become a top liner.

GVGjr
08-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Sean Higgins will hopefully develop further and show he can become a top liner.

Beaser what area's do you think Higgins need to improve in?
I really believe that our supporters rate him a bit too highly. He's terrific when he has the ball but almost passive on the defensive side of his game.

Bulldog Revolution
08-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Beaser what area's do you think Higgins need to improve in?
I really believe that our supporters rate him a bit too highly. He's terrific when he has the ball but almost passive on the defensive side of his game.

Theres few players I would say this to but I actually think Higgins should look to Cousins and Kerr as role models for the type of player he should be trying to become. I dont know that he is as quick as them, but to become that type of player he needs to become elite aerobically, and clearly he needs to get in the gym and build up. But more than anything he really needs to get his running ability up so that he can start attempting second efforts.

LostDoggy
08-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Theres few players I would say this to but I actually think Higgins should look to Cousins and Kerr as role models for the type of player he should be trying to become. I dont know that he is as quick as them, but to become that type of player he needs to become elite aerobically, and clearly he needs to get in the gym and build up. But more than anything he really needs to get his running ability up so that he can start attempting second efforts.

Spot on. He has a strong build for his age and if he can get his running capacity up to an elite level then there will be no excuses on him not improving the defensive side of his game.

Go_Dogs
08-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Yep, 100% agree about Higgins. Needs to get fitter and stronger. The thing that impresses me is his vision and use, just about every time he picks the right option and hits the target or finishes on goal.

Once he gets fitter and stronger, he'll become very important. Hopefully his lack of second efforts and defensive efforts are a fitness related thing.

I remember early 2007 when the practice games and things were happening (internal ones) and Higgins was constantly being rated as one of the standout midfielders. He did have an injury just prior to the season or something did he not?

Dancin' Douggy
08-11-2007, 10:31 AM
The player I'm most looking forward to seeing next year is Sam Power in a different jumper

LostDoggy
08-11-2007, 10:37 AM
The player I'm most looking forward to seeing next year is Sam Power in a different jumper

I'm never sure why so many of our supporters want to consistently live in the past but if that the most exciting thing for you then 2008 will be a great season for you regardless if we win many games or not. In my opinion, too often our supporters waste their energies on complaining about people that are no longer with the club. I'd rather look at the opportunities that we have.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Williams develops. An extra 5kg of weight and strength and an uninterrupted pre season really has whetted my appetite to see how he performs in 2008.

Dancin' Douggy
08-11-2007, 11:20 AM
lighten up Billy! . Of course I'm looking forward tp the season and watching everitt, minson, higgins, harbrow, cooney, griffen etc keep improving.

LostDoggy
08-11-2007, 11:26 AM
lighten up Billy! . Of course I'm looking forward tp the season and watching everitt, minson, higgins, harbrow, cooney, griffen etc keep improving.

OK no problems but you can always add a :) or a ;) if you are just having a bit of fun. Its the difference between people believing that you are serious our just having a laugh. :confused:

LostDoggy
08-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah i cant wait to watch Williams. Along with Murphy and Hahn who should be back to their best.

Has anyone seen Higgins lately? IIRC cyberdoggie reported that he needed his shoulder operated on again.

bornadog
08-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Williams ,Everitt and Higgins are all exciting and can't wait to see how they have developed.

always right
08-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Cross, Cooney, Hahn, Murphy and Griffen. Just imagine what a difference it could make to our team if all of these blokes came back fit and firing for the whole season. Get these blokes back and playing well and there is a huge flow-on effect.

Other players have less attention on them and can play support roles rather than be relied upon to be the major play-makers. All of a sudden blokes like Boyd, Aker, Higgins, Gilbee etc get the third best opponents. All of a sudden 2007 can be a distant bad memory.

LostDoggy
08-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Morris is number 1, my life ambition is to see him kick a goal in person, as the only one he's kicked was in Sydney. The others would be Williams, Hargrave and Ray.

The Underdog
08-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Hugely keen to see Griff fit and firing. He struggled a bit last year before he got injured but all I remember is in 06 his runs out of the backline, shrugging tackles and belting it long into the forward line. I think he's got the ability to be a very special player (duh).

Would also love to see Higgins take it up a level, he uses it beautifully but disappears from games for too long.
Also keen to see Hudson give us something we really haven't had since Darce's first knee reco.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Griffen would be my number one, he's got the makings of a complete player who could absolutely set the competition alite if all goes OK for him injury wise. He's very important to our side.

Skipper & Everitt are my other two. I thought Skip showed quite a bit towards the end of the season, I hope he carries it on. His intensity and contested marking improved dramatically. Everitt is a smooth mover with all the qualities of a dead set star. He can play anywhere (backline, wing, forward), he's mobile, he can leap, he can mark, he can kick and he has that few extra seconds when he's got the ball. Smart, complete KP player as long as he continues to develop IMO. Apparently he's already added 5kgs along with Williams, that's brillant.

Add Cooney to the list, too. I want to see the guy play like he can week in and week out, injury free. Cooney & Griffen, injury free, running riot in the midfield is what will win us a flag.

wimberga
08-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Reading over this thread just makes me so excited for the up and coming season. cant wait

Dry Rot
09-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Don't disagree with any of the above but for me it's the two we traded for.

Having a good ruckman, being competitive in clearances and possibly having an effective tagger would all be rather novel for us.

Would also be good if one of Everrit, Williams or McDougall could play effectively up forward.