PDA

View Full Version : Delisted players who go on to have good careers

Rocco Jones
02-11-2014, 07:49 PM
GVG's question about whether any players delisted by the Cats have gone on to have a decent career in the last 10 years. I struggled to think of many full stop.

Joel Tippett was delisted by GC and I think he will have a decent career as a KP defender. Any other recent ones?

Pods delisted twice.

Andrew Carrazzo was delisted from the Cats rookie list.

Zac Dawson delisted by the Hawks.

boydogs
02-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Daniel Cross
Kepler Bradley
Patrick Bowden
Andrew Krakouer
Daniel Bradshaw
Ben Cousins
Cameron Bruce
Chad Cornes
James McDonald
Ben Hudson
Nick Lower
Jaryd Cachia
Mark Austin
Setanta O'Hailpin
Brent Moloney
Jarrad Boumann
David Rodan
Dean Brogan
Dylan Addison
Robin Nahas
Maverick Weller
James Sellar
Adam Pattison
Addam Maric
Brad Miller

SlimPickens
02-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Using Geelong as the example, I'd say Nick Maxwell got the most out of himself after getting the chop from
the cats.

azabob
02-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Boydogs not sure anyone on your list is relevant to the OP.

Rocco Jones
02-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Matt Maguire

Twodogs
02-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Steven Milne was on Essendon's Rookie list before St Kilda drafted him. So he must have been delisted from some sort of list at Windy Hill.

Twodogs
02-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Glen Coleman was delisted by Sydney before playing good footy with us

Before I Die
02-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Steven Milne was on Essendon's Rookie list before St Kilda drafted him. So he must have been delisted from some sort of list at Windy Hill.

Wasn't Pods delisted from both the Essendon and Collingwood rookie lists?

Twodogs
02-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Tom Harley was delisted by Port Adelaide.

#edit# just looked it up. he was traded after 1 game in 2 years on Port's list for Geelong's pick 37 in 1998.

Twodogs
02-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Wasn't Pods delisted from both the Essendon and Collingwood rookie lists?

He was.

bulldogtragic
02-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Was Roger Merrett delisted on his way to the Bears?
Dale Kickett played at 5 clubs, presumably delisted. Or him for the Ecker thread.

Rocco Jones
02-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Tom Harley was delisted by Port Adelaide.

I though so too but apparently he was traded.

Also a poster mentioned Maxwell. Like Scott Thompson from North, I think he is a Geelong boy who was overlooked for a spot.

GVGjr
02-11-2014, 10:47 PM

He got added to rookie list for Essendon when another player knocked it back. Rama mentioned his name and basically got him the spot.

Twodogs
02-11-2014, 10:57 PM
I though so too but apparently he was traded.

Also a poster mentioned Maxwell. Like Scott Thompson from North, I think he is a Geelong boy who was overlooked for a spot.

How about delisted/traded cheaply after a few games/steak knives in a deal/overlooked by local/zoned club?

Twodogs
02-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Brian Wilson was delisted by two clubs before winning a Brownlow with a third.

Twodogs
02-11-2014, 11:08 PM
I think Craig Ellis and Keenan Reynolds were on other clubs lists before we picked them up. Brett Montgomery too.l

Twodogs
02-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Todd Curley was delisted by Collingwood before playing more than 100 games for us.

Rocco Jones
02-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Twodogs I said 'recent' haha.

1eyedog
03-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Twodogs I said 'recent' haha.

That depends on how old you are. The 90s are certainly more recent than than 70s - 80s ;)
I remember those guys above like it was yesterday.

Twodogs
03-11-2014, 12:38 AM
That depends on how old you are. The 90s are certainly more recent than than 70s - 80s ;)
I remember those guys above like it was yesterday.

Correct. Anytime after 1994 is recent to me.

Twodogs
03-11-2014, 12:40 AM
GVG's question about whether any players delisted by the Cats have gone on to have a decent career in the last 10 years. I struggled to think of many full stop.

Joel Tippett was delisted by GC and I think he will have a decent career as a KP defender. Any other recent ones?

Pods delisted twice.

Andrew Carrazzo was delisted from the Cats rookie list.

Zac Dawson delisted by the Hawks.

Hang on where does it say 'recent'?

boydogs
03-11-2014, 02:13 AM
Hang on where does it say 'recent'?

Second paragraph

Webby
03-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Was Roger Merrett delisted on his way to the Bears?.

No, the Dodger was an A grader. He captained the Big V in '85 or '86. The salary cap was introduced in '87 and he ended up going to the Bears for far bigger money than Essendon could possibly fit under the cap.

Twodogs
03-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Second paragraph

Right. Well then I refer the Hounorable Member to the answer I gave in post 20! :)

LostDoggy
04-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Gee the odds really aren't great on this one. The only one I could find was Matt Spangher, now premiership player.

2010 delisted by West Coast, before being traded from Sydney to Hawthorn in 2012 for pick 66..

Rocco Jones
04-11-2014, 07:55 PM
It would be interesting to see a break down of raw stats for recruiting. %'s of delisted guys who make it, state leaguers, rookie list picks etc.

Mofra
04-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Tony Liberatore.
Was he traded to us by North cheaply or was he cut first? Either way he cost nothing.

Scott Wynd had a North Melbourne connection too didn't he? His brother managed a couple of games there.

Bandit
04-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Tony Liberatore.
Was he traded to us by North cheaply or was he cut first? Either way he cost nothing.

Scott Wynd had a North Melbourne connection too didn't he? His brother managed a couple of games there.

Liber was cut by North. Wynd was zoned to North but something dodgy lead to North missing out. I recall hearing something around North getting the birth dates wrong.

Twodogs
04-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Liber was cut by North. Wynd was zoned to North but something dodgy lead to North missing out. I recall hearing something around North getting the birth dates wrong.

Yep. North were out by a year on the date they had to have him signed by. He was zoned to North but they had to sign him by his 16th birthday to retain their hold on him but they thought he was turning 15. Footscray recruiting officials signed him at midnight on the day he became eligable to sign with anyone.

Scott West's back fence was the residential boundary between our zone and Esssendon's. if he'd lived one block over he would have been a Bomber.

ledge
05-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Hamlin hopefully .. Two brownlows and three premierships and a Norm Smith medal.

Bulldog Joe
05-11-2014, 11:01 AM
The player I thought of was David Rodan. Had a few good years at Port after being cut by Richmond.

Mofra
05-11-2014, 11:27 AM
The player I thought of was David Rodan. Had a few good years at Port after being cut by Richmond.
Schultz was given to Port too for steak knives (pick 77 or something). Port should buy Richmond something nice for Christmas.

mighty_west
05-11-2014, 11:59 AM
So if history suggests Hamling won't make it, does that mean Biggs and Darley won't make it either given they were both traded to us as cheap as chips deals and to suggest they both MAY have been delisted by the Swans and GWS anyway?

Bulldog Joe
05-11-2014, 04:58 PM
So if history suggests Hamling won't make it, does that mean Biggs and Darley won't make it either given they were both traded to us as cheap as chips deals and to suggest they both MAY have been delisted by the Swans and GWS anyway?

It is an interesting question and I don't know any stats.

Darley is one of the first wave of effective delistings/cheap trades from GWS who just had too many young players to give them all a go.

Biggs is a separate category as a 3rd yr rookie that Sydney just didn't have space to upgrade because of the incoming academy players.