PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Match Day For woofers

Eastdog
03-11-2014, 07:26 PM
A bit of a fun thread. Ive done WO match day experiences so ill do modern day match day experiences. On match days during the footy season how do you get from home to the MCG or Etihad and back again and do you go to the pub or something before and after games. Is it a long trek there or are you very close.

Myself: I most of the time take the Belgrave/Lilydale train from Canterbury station to Southern Cross Station and get off there and walk to Etihad. If I get there early I usually mill around outside for a bit and then go in get a beer and get ready for the match. Go Dogs!

Always a good number of Dogs fan on my train line :) After win going back home on the train is great and when we lose not so great but its always good to talk with a few Dogs fans to and from the games win or lose.

F'scary
03-11-2014, 08:17 PM
I get to docklands from Footscray station. There is quite a contingent of Dogs supporters at the station and a lot on the train too. Sometimes I wonder if I am looking at a few Woofers and I probably am. On Sundays you have to get the train into Melbourne Central and then swap platforms to get back to Spencer Street Station, which seems pretty stupid but that is the way it is. When you change platforms you often encounter groups of the opposition supporters.

Once or twice when we have had a great win I have walked all the way back home listening to the after match coverage on my headphones, savouring the victory.

Eastdog
03-11-2014, 08:47 PM
I get to docklands from Footscray station. There is quite a contingent of Dogs supporters at the station and a lot on the train too. Sometimes I wonder if I am looking at a few Woofers and I probably am. On Sundays you have to get the train into Melbourne Central and then swap platforms to get back to Spencer Street Station, which seems pretty stupid but that is the way it is. When you change platforms you often encounter groups of the opposition supporters.

Once or twice when we have had a great win I have walked all the way back home listening to the after match coverage on my headphones, savouring the victory.

Maybe Twodogs or Greystache may have been on there with you :)

LostDoggy
03-11-2014, 09:30 PM
With two kids in tow I normally drive, though we've been known to catch the train for the occasional match, especially if we've been to the VFL first. We walk back to the car singing the song no matter the result, always hang our scarves out the windows and when we win we do a lap of EJ's statue at the Oval.

Twodogs
04-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Maybe Twodogs or Greystache may have been on there with you :)

It's more than likely.

Back in the day when all the games were on saturday afternoon nearly all the opposition supporters would converge on Flinders st on the way home from the various grounds. It was usually the first opportunity to find out how other teams had gone. Asking total strangers in opposition scarfs how their team went or yelling across the platforms.

Torpedo
04-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Saturday afternoon games I ride my bike down the Upfield bike path to Footscray Rd and then along to Docklands. Nice way to use up some nervous energy. Tie up the bike at the front door almost. The ride home is a good loosener after sitting for a couple of hours. Always walk a circuit of the ground at top level during half time. Night games, I catch the train from Coburg. Reminder: Need to get a good tranny to hear the after match reports onboard the train. Usually a few doggie supporters on the train, definitely more now than 15 years ago, when I first moved here.

Eastdog
04-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Saturday afternoon games I ride my bike down the Upfield bike path to Footscray Rd and then along to Docklands. Nice way to use up some nervous energy. Tie up the bike at the front door almost. The ride home is a good loosener after sitting for a couple of hours. Always walk a circuit of the ground at top level during half time. Night games, I catch the train from Coburg. Reminder: Need to get a good tranny to hear the after match reports onboard the train. Usually a few doggie supporters on the train, definitely more now than 15 years ago, when I first moved here.

Good to hear Torpedo that we have a good few out in the north.

LostDoggy
07-11-2014, 04:24 PM
I train in on the Sandringham line from Hampton station with my dad and children. Not many doggies supporters on the line but always seem to see a few familiar faces. Was a real tough train ride home when we lost to the aints in the prelims, especially 2009

F'scary
07-11-2014, 10:45 PM
I train in on the Sandringham line from Hampton station with my dad and children. Not many doggies supporters on the line but always seem to see a few familiar faces. Was a real tough train ride home when we lost to the aints in the prelims, especially 2009

Now that is what I call "character building"

Eastdog
07-11-2014, 10:52 PM

Must be great though when we beat them.

LostDoggy
10-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Must be great though when we beat them.

To tell you the truth, we seem to be out numbered on the Sandringham line no matter what Melbourne team we are playing. As you say though, it does make the train ride home all the more enjoyable after a win!

Bulldog4life
10-11-2014, 02:37 PM
We drive in from Rosebud and park under the stadium. We take our own tucker so our luxury is the carpark not food. I always listen to the radio on the way home but never if we lose....except the music stations of course. Once we parked at Frankston and caught the train there and back but it took so long. It was actually a match against West Coast and on the way home the West Coast supporters would have out numbered ours which seemed strange to me at the time. Thank God now for the Peninsula Link I used to hate all those bloody roundabouts.

Eastdog
10-11-2014, 04:09 PM
To tell you the truth, we seem to be out numbered on the Sandringham line no matter what Melbourne team we are playing. As you say though, it does make the train ride home all the more enjoyable after a win!

Yep for sure. I'm on the Belgrave/Lilydale and I'm always impressed to see a good amount of red white and blue. This will only increase once we have sustained success.

Eastdog
03-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Bump.

LostDoggy
03-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Dad now lives in Mulwala on the Vic/Nsw border,brother is 5 years younger then me and lives in Taylors Lakes so I catch the train from Glen Waverley and meet my brother with his two young boys @ the ground.
My Dad comes down when he can,will be more so this year hopefully!?

Eastdog
04-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Dad now lives in Mulwala on the Vic/Nsw border,brother is 5 years younger then me and lives in Taylors Lakes so I catch the train from Glen Waverley and meet my brother with his two young boys @ the ground.
My Dad comes down when he can,will be more so this year hopefully!?

When I lived out further east I occasionally took the Glen Waverley train in and there was always a good few Dogs supporters on board. Who knows redders70 we could of been on the same carriage at some point or nowadays we would be on the same platform as Belgrave and Glen Waverley depart from the same one.

LostDoggy
04-01-2015, 07:26 PM
When I lived out further east I occasionally took the Glen Waverley train in and there was always a good few Dogs supporters on board. Who knows redders70 we could of been on the same carriage at some point or nowadays we would be on the same platform as Belgrave and Glen Waverley depart from the same one.

I'm sure we were Eastdog,
I'm sure we were.

Eastdog
08-01-2015, 07:55 PM
After a win redders70 going home on the train it must be a great feeling. After the Richmond game round 3 last year when we won in a thriller I was the one of the few Dogs fans who went home with the tram to the eastern suburbs but by gee it was great. I think there would of been much more on the train going back home.

LostDoggy
10-01-2015, 06:59 PM
After a win redders70 going home on the train it must be a great feeling. After the Richmond game round 3 last year when we won in a thriller I was the one of the few Dogs fans who went home with the tram to the eastern suburbs but by gee it was great. I think there would of been much more on the train going back home.

Every win going home on the train back to the south east suburbs was and still is one of the best feelings to be had.

Eastdog
10-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Every win going home on the train back to the south east suburbs was and still is one of the best feelings to be had.

For sure.

Eastdog
30-03-2015, 02:50 PM
As the footy is starting back next week I thought I'll give this thread a bump.

LostDoggy
30-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Just moved to the South East between season's - looking forward to that winning feeling on the way home at some stage this year.

bornadog
30-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Just moved to the South East between season's - looking forward to that winning feeling on the way home at some stage this year.

or a long drive home:(:D

Eastdog
30-03-2015, 05:26 PM

I had that feeling taking the tram home last year when we defeated Richmond. Hopefully it will be the same in Round 2 :)

LostDoggy
31-03-2015, 12:20 PM
or a long drive home:(:D

will probably take the train so its hopefully not a long train ride home!

BornInDroopSt'54
31-03-2015, 12:48 PM
will probably take the train so its hopefully not a long train ride home!

I'm on Frankston line, you too or Dandy line?

Eastdog
01-04-2015, 11:49 AM
I wonder when I take the train in to the footy if I'm on the same carriages as some fellow woofers on here. I'm on the Belgrave/Lilydale line but may take the tram in this weekend.

craigsahibee
01-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Time to top up the Myki card

Eastdog
01-04-2015, 12:53 PM

Yep important. Mine has still quite a lot on it.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-04-2015, 02:17 PM

just remember to top up about 5 months in advance so Myki can process the payment ;)

Eastdog
02-04-2015, 01:27 PM
just remember to top up about 5 months in advance so Myki can process the payment ;)

I've gotten used to Myki now but to be honest when the metcards were still around I was into those. I'd say with Myki is that you don't have to buy a new card each time and just keep the same one and top it up. You just need to make sure you touch off.

Eastdog
25-06-2015, 06:10 PM

Hopefully on Saturday night 4by2 the happy fans on the Sandringham line back home are the ones in red white and blue.

F'scary
25-06-2015, 08:57 PM
I am getting so into our home games at Etihad. It is like an incredible spiritual experience. I saw the Lions last week. I made my way to the colosseum about an hour early (I find I am making this a habit). And then I walked inside a great gate which was numbered 5 and I saw 22 players warming up from the ground level. Each with a number on his back. And then I saw ramps which ascended to a level that was numbered 3. And then before me there was a mixed drink with ice and it had the numbers 5.0. And then I heard sounds and could see light. And so I walked through a tunnel to an Aisle which had the number 31 and the ground opened out in front of me, so beautiful it was with the signs that are all the colours of a red and white and blue rainbow and there was ethereal music played by invisible angels that were known to some there as "Oasis". And then I was seated after many steps which were long and winding and the drink eased my pain. And then a voice spoke aloud and read each number of each annointed player one by one, each after the other. And I heard the multitude respond as each of the numbers was blessed with a name. And then I heard great music in my ears and all were in awe. And then I saw a magic portal errected by the faithful on the green sword. And then those who bore the numbers appeared and ran through the portal. And then I saw another chalice yet in front of me...

LostDoggy
26-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Hopefully on Saturday night 4by2 the happy fans on the Sandringham line back home are the ones in red white and blue.

Personally, a must win for me Eastdog. A loss and all hell could break loose on the Sandy line :D

Eastdog
26-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Personally, a must win for me Eastdog. A loss and all hell could break loose on the Sandy line :D

Yep agree 4by2. Very important we get the 4 points here especially if we are serious to try for finals this year.

LostDoggy
26-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Short of making the actual finals Eastdog, I class this game as my grandfinal.

Eastdog
26-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Short of making the actual finals Eastdog, I class this game as my grandfinal.

The next 3 games including tomorrow are important and that we need to get the 4 points and show that over the next few years we mean business.

Eastdog
28-06-2015, 05:58 PM

You would have been with fellow red white and blue on the train home last night very happy 4by2 :) :)

LostDoggy
29-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Extremely happy Eastdog! Nice looking across a crowded train after the game, full of Saints, seeing a couple of lone doggies supporters like myself and my son and giving a little smile. You couldn't wipe the smile from my face all day Sunday.

Now onto Carlton who I hate with a passion!

soupman
29-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Interesting seeing another clubs "matchday experience" on the weekend.

Largely the same stuff we have, with a couple of differences.
-Everyone around us seemed to have those horrific inflatable bangy tubes. They make a lot of noise but god they are annoying.
-They seemed to try getting the mascots to interact a bit more in mini competitions, although I suspect the fix was in as the Bulldog mascot performed woefully.
-They had the "Make some noise" crap that every club except us seems to have now. I really hope we don't ever go down this path. It's just so lame and plastic.

Eastdog
29-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Extremely happy Eastdog! Nice looking across a crowded train after the game, full of Saints, seeing a couple of lone doggies supporters like myself and my son and giving a little smile. You couldn't wipe the smile from my face all day Sunday.

Now onto Carlton who I hate with a passion!

Hopefully in future years there will be more Doggies supporters on your train.

Murphy'sLore
29-06-2015, 03:22 PM

-Everyone around us seemed to have those horrific inflatable bangy tubes. They make a lot of noise but god they are annoying.
-They seemed to try getting the mascots to interact a bit more in mini competitions, although I suspect the fix was in as the Bulldog mascot performed woefully.
-They had the "Make some noise" crap that every club except us seems to have now. I really hope we don't ever go down this path. It's just so lame and plastic.

What did you make of the acoustic fan version of their theme song? Plenty of hipsters among the Saints supporters I suspect!

F'scary
03-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I suppose everyone who went to the StK match noticed that the scoreboard tells their supporters when to cheer: "Make some noise...."

Pretty sad, really.

I don't think that is a trend we should copy for our home games.

F'scary
03-07-2015, 01:41 PM

sorry just reread your post and saw you beat me to the punch :-)

Eastdog
03-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Dancing Bulldogs which we have at our home games what do you reckon of that?

Bulldog4life
03-07-2015, 01:55 PM

The kids love them. Well all the ones near me seem to.

BulldogBelle
03-07-2015, 05:24 PM

They are not for us old supporters!
Purely for the young kids and the little kids seem to love them.

comrade
03-07-2015, 06:16 PM
The Pack is much loved in household (have a 2 year old).

I think the club should take it further, to be honest. A weekly cartoon/animation would go down a treat.

comrade
03-07-2015, 07:24 PM
For those going tomorrow:

***UPDATED: Changes to game day presentation***

As a mark of respect following the tragic passing of Adelaide Crows Senior Coach Phil Walsh, elements of our pre- and post-match game day presentation have been altered. Similar changes will be made at all matches across the weekend, and have been embraced by all AFL clubs.

There will be no guard of honour, team introductions, or 60-second countdown pre-match, nor will the half-time performance from The Pack mascots occur.

The Club’s planned showing of the animated movie HOME will still be aired in the stadium prior to the match.

Should the Western Bulldogs win, there will be no team song played in-stadium following the final siren, while the players our of respect will not sing the team song in the rooms after the match.

One minutes silence will be held prior to the first bounce and as such, there will be a new start time of 7:30pm.

LostDoggy
03-07-2015, 08:30 PM
We share a line (not in a Harley sense). Sandy is the only line through Prahran. Hopefully a good trip home tomorrow night:)

Twodogs
03-07-2015, 08:34 PM
For those going tomorrow:

***UPDATED: Changes to game day presentation***

As a mark of respect following the tragic passing of Adelaide Crows Senior Coach Phil Walsh, elements of our pre- and post-match game day presentation have been altered. Similar changes will be made at all matches across the weekend, and have been embraced by all AFL clubs.

There will be no guard of honour, team introductions, or 60-second countdown pre-match, nor will the half-time performance from The Pack mascots occur.

The Club’s planned showing of the animated movie HOME will still be aired in the stadium prior to the match.

Should the Western Bulldogs win, there will be no team song played in-stadium following the final siren, while the players our of respect will not sing the team song in the rooms after the match.

One minutes silence will be held prior to the first bounce and as such, there will be a new start time of 7:30pm.

What was the previous start time?

Twodogs
03-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Big day for me tomorrow. I get presented with my own Bulldogs jumper (me and a few hundred other blokes) as part of the graduation for the footy clubs men's health groups.

azabob
03-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Twodogs - 7.20

F'scary
04-07-2015, 11:47 AM
I'm really looking forward to tonight. Taking one of my kids. They are starting to get right into going to the footy at Docklands and the Dogs are their team for life, I would say (and they are converting their little friends at school too - I have seen the evidence).

Eastdog
04-07-2015, 03:12 PM
I don't take the train every week but I'm sure I've probably looked at woofers who live in the east on the Belgrave/Lilydale line.

Eastdog
04-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Big day for me tomorrow. I get presented with my own Bulldogs jumper (me and a few hundred other blokes) as part of the graduation for the footy clubs men's health groups.

Good on you Twodogs.

HOSE B ROMERO
04-07-2015, 03:54 PM

Not a fan of a lot of the 'matchday experience'.

Personally, for me, 'THE FOOTBALL IS THE MATCH DAY EXPERIENCE'! (sorry computer monitor, i didn't mean to cover you with spit).

It seems the afl are hellbent on having more noise at the footy. Which is great, but it's got to be organic; it's got to be from the people; not from bangy tubes and definitely not from annoying f@#!$$ over the ()**&(!#@ pa system.

Ok, time for my afternoon lie down.

Twodogs
05-07-2015, 12:34 AM
It was nice having a quiet night at the footy. The game just started. No countdown, no dancing, no blaring music. All there was pregame was a minutes silence.

It was a good tribute.

ledge
05-07-2015, 12:37 AM

I was there as well twodogs my ex father in law did it, invited me, great day , were you in the legends room or the other one ?

Twodogs
05-07-2015, 11:10 AM
I was there as well twodogs my ex father in law did it, invited me, great day , were you in the legends room or the other one ?

Legends room mate. Waited in the Victory room and then was taken up to the Victory room to recieved the jumper.

What a great program! What a great football club. We should all be very proud of our club today.

Twodogs
05-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Legends room mate. Waited in the Victory room and then was taken up to the Victory room to recieved the jumper.

What a great program! What a great football club. We should all be very proud of our club today.

Eastdog
05-07-2015, 04:15 PM

Great stuff once again Twodogs. Yep we certainly are great footy club with good supporters.

ledge
05-07-2015, 09:08 PM

Well you would have seen me somewhere I was taking photos when you all stood out the front of the room in your jumpers , I even sat in aisle 27 3rd tier.
Might do it next year.
We're you in the Melton bunch ?

Twodogs
06-07-2015, 11:46 PM
Maribyrnong council area ledge. I live not far from the ground. It was a fun night. I was standing in the line waiting to get my jumper and the bloke in front of me and I played at ANA together in under 16s and then open age for years. Hadn't seen him for ten years.

Eastdog
04-09-2015, 11:24 PM
After reading a great story about those 2 Bulldog supporters matchday I thought I'd give this thread bump.

Eastdog
14-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Bump. Looking forward next year to gong to the social club at the Victory room next year.

bornadog
14-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Bump. Looking forward next year to gong to the social club at the Victory room next year.

Are you going to the social club event in a few weeks time at Etihad?

Eastdog
14-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Not sure. I don't think I got an invite. Probably will get an invite next year.

merantau
14-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Match day for me and it's sometimes a car trip down from Bendigo or sometimes a train trip.
The car trip is ok if we have plenty of time to find a cheap place to park. We fly the scarves out the windows of course

The train trip always goes fast as I usually find someone to yack with. And it's mega convenient too. I love the walk over the bridge. I love feeling the atmosphere build. I love scanning the faces of the Bulldog supporters - people I've grown up with: the faithful.
What I really love is the trip home after a win. It's all about the game, the highlights, the goals, who played well. And I've loved sharing clips on WOOF with people who've never seen them before. Clips like Billy kicking THAT goal at the "G" and The Pieman's inspired intercept late in red time that sunk the Pies.
People who've never seen those clips really appreciate actually seeing what they've only heard about.

bornadog
15-11-2015, 01:14 AM
Not sure. I don't think I got an invite. Probably will get an invite next year.

If you were social club this year you should have got an invite

Eastdog
15-11-2015, 01:23 AM
If you were social club this year you should have got an invite

I wasn't for this year BAD. Im social club for next year so Ill should get an invite then.

Eastdog
20-03-2016, 06:50 PM
So with season 2016 getting underway next weekend I'd thought this thread would become appropriate again.

Twodogs
20-03-2016, 07:17 PM
So with season 2016 getting underway next weekend I'd thought this thread would become appropriate again.

Looking forward to it Eastie? I haven't looked forward to a season like this in living memory. Anything can happen this year.

Eastdog
20-03-2016, 08:04 PM
Looking forward to it Eastie? I haven't looked forward to a season like this in living memory. Anything can happen this year.

Yes I'm excited Twodogs. Always great when the autumn/winter type weather rolls in and the footy starts. All we need to do now is turn the clocks and hour back to winter time.

Will be an interesting year for us thats for sure. Great fixture in terms of schedule but more challenging the teams we play which is what we need as ultimately we need to beat the best to win the premiership.

Eastdog
09-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Experienced the Victory room Whitten social club at Etihad for the first time two weeks ago. Had a beer after the Fremantle match in there. Nice view of the Bolte Bridge etc from the balcony outside there. Might get there again for a drink at half time tomorrow if not plenty of other home games coming up this year.