PDA

View Full Version : Labor promise Western Bulldogs will play two games in Ballarat every season

Bulldog4life
06-11-2014, 12:15 PM
The Western Bulldogs will play at least two premiership season games in Ballarat every year if Labor win the election.

Western Bulldogs players will also wear a Eureka-inspired playing jumper for the games.

Opposition leader Daniel Andrews and Bulldogs President Peter Gordon made the announcement on Thursday morning.

The Labor Party have already promised a 6000-seat covered grandstand at Eureka Stadium in April this year, if it wins the election, as well as AFL standard lights and a video scoreboard

The Bulldogs have also been vocal in their aim to expand into western Victoria and "win the west".

In a stunning revelation, the AFL last week disclosed the Western Bulldogs had entered into an agreement with the City of Ballarat.

However, both the Bulldogs and council have remained extremely tight-lipped on their agreement, with neither party even confirming any alignment.

The announcement from AFL scheduling manager Simon Lethlean followed the release of the 2015 NAB Challenge fixture that surprisingly had Western Bulldogs fixtured to play Melbourne, bucking a six-year trend that had North Melbourne aligned with Ballarat.

North Melbourne's CEO Carl Dilena expressed his frustration that his club was left blind-sided by the deal.

North Melbourne will no longer hold community camps in Ballarat and it is now expected that the Bulldogs will take over.

Former premier John Brumby joined forces with North Melbourne in 2010 when he announced a proposed redevelopment of Eureka Stadium, but that plan was abandoned when Labor lost the election.

The Kangaroos had looked at playing four games annually at a redeveloped Eureka Stadium.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2677622/labor-promise-western-bulldogs-will-play-two-games-in-ballarat-every-season/?cs=4170

bulldogtragic
06-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Interesting, no AFL spokesman in the article. Interesting. I guess the building a new WO grandstand is off the radar.

Sedat
06-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Eat it Norf. The nomads can go and work the Hobart market instead, seeing as you started and then walked away from all of Sydney/Canberra/Gold Coast/Ballarat

lemmon
06-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Eat it Norf. The nomads can go and work the Hobart market instead, seeing as you started and then walked away from all of Sydney/Canberra/Gold Coast/Ballarat

Darwin, Cairns, Canberra.... ;)

Sedat
06-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Darwin, Cairns, Canberra.... ;)
The only interstate market that we tried to actually own was Darwin, which was a commercial success until Melbourne and Port watered the market down - it was also a great success on the field, where we are something like 14-2 in Darwin.

All of our Sydney, Canberra and Gold Coast home games were/are merely the result of the club being forced to partake in home matches to assist the AFL with venue and scheduling contractual requirements. Norf actually based themselves in all of Sydney, Canberra and Gold Coast to create a 2nd home for the club but walked away from all these ventures. They also did the same with Ballarat until the Libs unexpectedly won the 2010 election, to which they simply courted Hobart and walked away from Ballarat.

LostDoggy
06-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Much rather sell games to Ballarat then Darwin and Cairns!

Ghost Dog
06-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Not sure about the whole jumper thing. What do you guys all think? I Historically, I cannot think of one single 'gimmick' jumper that I saw and thought ' yeah, I wish we could wear that again', or the same sentiment for other teams. Can't think of any you would want to repeat.

bornadog
06-11-2014, 01:56 PM
I would like to know what dollars involved.

chef
06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Love to see it grow to 3 or 4 games and have Ballarat memberships offered.

This could be a great windfall for us if its done properly

chef
06-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Not sure about the whole jumper thing. What do you guys all think? I Historically, I cannot think of one single 'gimmick' jumper that I saw and thought ' yeah, I wish we could wear that again', or the same sentiment for other teams. Can't think of any you would want to repeat.

If it helps us connect to the community then it sounds great. To me jumper tinkering isn't really thst big of a deal considering we've had 4 or 5 different home jumpers in the last 20 years, the colors are what matters.

Webby
06-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Our jumper is the best in the comp. why mess with it? I understand that the club will want to tie itself to Ballarat and may see an opportunity for some symbolism, but our guernsey is a cracker.

Ballarat will be a tough nut to crack. It is a footy town with died in the wool fans of all Vic clubs. It'll take years of being there to get many of them to develop a little soft spot - let alone convert... And gimmicks won't do it.

Nonetheless, I fully expect some tacky Southern Cross Flag type thing...

Eastdog
06-11-2014, 02:25 PM
I live in the eastern suburbs so it would be hard for me to get to games in Ballarat but thats not the point. This sounds like a great opportunity for our club to expand the brand a bit more and make a bit more profit. Will be great for our Ballarat based Dogs supporters and any Dogs supporters from the surrounds. Agree with MCL It would be better to sell a game or 2 to Ballarat than to interstate and keep it in Victoria.

bornadog
06-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Love to see it grow to 3 or 4 games and have Ballarat memberships offered.

This could be a great windfall for us if its done properly

as long as we still play 10 home games at Eithad.

chef
06-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Our jumper is the best in the comp. why mess with it? I understand that the club will want to tie itself to Ballarat and may see an opportunity for some symbolism, but our guernsey is a cracker.

Ballarat will be a tough nut to crack. It is a footy town with died in the wool fans of all Vic clubs. It'll take years of being there to get many of them to develop a little soft spot - let alone convert... And gimmicks won't do it.

Its not about converting them into through and through Bulldog supporters, its about get them to come to the game and support the 'local' side for the day ala Tassie and the Hawks which is also a dyed in the wool footy state with fans of all Vic teams.

This needs to be a long term effort if its successful.

Eastdog
06-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Yep I still want the majority to be played at Etihad hopefully with a much better deal there in the future.

chef
06-11-2014, 02:33 PM

I guess they would look at replacement games like Hawthorn does.

Eastdog
06-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Maddog37 would be very happy :)

1eyedog
06-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Takes me an hour and a bit to get to Ballarat from Coburg. Takes me an hour to get through the CBD and find a park near Etihad... Ballarat sounds good.

bornadog
06-11-2014, 03:50 PM

:D

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Articles/murphy200.jpg

bornadog
06-11-2014, 03:52 PM
more here including video report

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-06/dogs-move-on-ballarat (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-06/dogs-move-on-ballarat)

Eastdog
06-11-2014, 03:59 PM

I guess you could look at it as just another alternate strip of ours. How do you compare it to the pinkish red strip we wear very occasionally.

bornadog
06-11-2014, 04:01 PM
I guess you could look at it as just another alternate strip of ours. How do you compare it to the pinkish red strip we wear very occasionally.

That is just a training strip, Gordon said:
a preparedness to do things like configure a guernsey - that gives real meaning and ownership to Ballarat for the Ballarat constituency.

Which means they are still working on it, but need to wait to see if Labor wins, or Libs agree to fund as well.

chef
06-11-2014, 04:15 PM

Anything is better than wearing red.

LostDoggy
06-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Ballarat can sometimes feel like the coldest place on earth, especially if the winds a blowin'. I don't know what it's going to do for our football skills......

SonofScray
06-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Exciting proposition.

I'd be OK with up to 3 home games a season being played in Ballarat, so long as we no longer sold home games interstate. The drive from home is about 1.15hrs and catching the train is a reasonable option as well. It's more appealing to me than Geelong as an option as it is carving out an extra slice in the marketplace and further embedding us as a Club in the west and in Victoria. Early days for my thoughts but it feels like a logical step and one I'm not too concerned about.

Getting to experience footy at a packed, parochial house again will add value to the feeling of association you get by being a member as well. Those smaller environments bring the fans closer together and create that collectivist understanding of what being a Member is. We'd really find it an enjoyable experience I think. Turning cavernous, corporate, isolating experiences at Etihad into community, tribal and eventful experiences out in Ballarat.

Remi Moses
06-11-2014, 08:12 PM
It's a no brainer for me.
We need to find ways to generate extra revenue to compete
Etihad's killing us , and areas around Ballarat will be attracted to the games.

GVGjr
06-11-2014, 08:24 PM
The only issue I have with it is the train service. It's a train and bus to get there if you don't want to drive.

The games need to be played early in the season not the middle of winter

Bulldog4life
06-11-2014, 08:39 PM
The only issue I have with it is the train service. It's a train and bus to get there if you don't want to drive.

Thinking the same.

G-Mo77
06-11-2014, 09:00 PM

C'Mon. We're Bulldog fans, surely you spent time at WO in traditional football weather. Toughen up. :D

I do hope the same........

LostDoggy
06-11-2014, 09:04 PM

I don't mind this one. What I don't want to see is the full Eureka flag, because although it has a deep history in Ballarat, it's associated everywhere else with the union movement, and I don't like me politics on me guernsey.

Turning a hoop into part of the flag, that's nice, I like it.

Well, my partner and I have been discussing a move to Ballarat in the New Year, and subsequently umming and ahhing over home versus home and away memberships for the family. So we'll be rapt. I know another 15 Bulldogs supporters in Ballarat, and that's just the guys I know. This could be very promising for us, it could be our Tasmania, and without selling our soul — we are, after all, the Western Bulldogs now, not just the Footscray Bulldogs.

In regards to train services, well, if we move out there give us a bell and I'll come pick you up.

Maddog37
06-11-2014, 09:13 PM
You would like to think they would organise dedicated bus services from the station.

SonofScray
06-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Would prefer we leave the jumper alone. At most, they can add a patch on the chest and sublimate a Ballarat logo on the back.

GVGjr
06-11-2014, 09:18 PM
C'Mon. We're Bulldog fans, surely you spent time at WO in traditional football weather. Toughen up. :D

I do hope the same........
I went there for a VFL a couple of years ago. I've never been that cold. To make matters worse you couldn't get a hot pie after quarter time

gohardorgohome
06-11-2014, 09:20 PM
I'd much rather see the dogs playas Ballarat rather than Cairns or Canberra. I don't think it is financially responsible though to spend $30m+ on a stadium that's used to its capacity three times a year.

ratsmac
06-11-2014, 10:11 PM
I went there for a VFL a couple of years ago. I've never been that cold. To make matters worse you couldn't get a hot pie after quarter time

The players will have to train in meat freezers rocky style instead of the humidity chambers at Vic Uni before the Darwin /Cairns games.

G-Mo77
06-11-2014, 10:30 PM

Very rare to get a nice day in Ballarat during the footy season.

Webby
06-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Very rare to get a nice day in Ballarat during the footy season.

The talk is for Adelaide or Port to be the opponents in Ballarat. With the freeze factor, I'd be inclined to go with Gold Coast or GWS. 20,000 would cover the turnout (Adelaide games pull more than 20k) and there's a chance to get a competitive advantage on the northern staters.

I'm looking forward to rugging up and getting to the 'rat! It could be a really atmospheric little ground. A nice variation on Etihad.

F'scary
06-11-2014, 11:05 PM
I would like to know what dollars involved.

$31m. To rebuild a stadium for 3 matches per year.

bornadog
06-11-2014, 11:07 PM
$31m. To rebuild a stadium for 3 matches per year.

I meant what is in it for us.

I doubt that is all will happen at the ground. Surely it will be a multi purpose stadium.

Remi Moses
07-11-2014, 12:17 AM
I heard Gerard Fitzgerald say on SEN that it's going to be a multipurpose stadium.
Thought it was a much needed injection in the area, and great for Ballarat .
FWIW Gerard ran for pre-selection for the liberal party a while ago, so he isn't politically biased .

LostDoggy
07-11-2014, 01:00 AM
You would like to think they would organise dedicated bus services from the station.

Agreed. This would certainty happen. With the Bus trip only being 5 minutes from the station to the ground there wouldn't be too much waiting.

Parking should be fine, there's lots of room with the showgrounds next door.

Been in Ballarat my whole life to date, as other posters have said there is actually quite a strong Bulldogs contingent here.

Weather conditions will be tricky. But you only have to look at how hard North Ballarat are to beat in the VFL at that ground. There's no reason why we can't make the ground a REAL home ground advantage.

Must admit the current set up isn't great for watching Footy. But obviously a grandstand will improve this.

All I can say is go Labor!

westdog54
07-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Plus all of North Ballarat's home games. Plus any community facilities that would no doubt go into the complex.

LostDoggy
07-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Exactly this expansion of Eureka was flagged by labor long before the Doggies association was announced. It will be used for all sorts of sporting events and concerts etc. Basically what is happening is Labor is promising to do for us in Ballarat exactly what a lot of us have been screaming for at Whitten Oval. It is a brilliant coup for our club.

Would be interesting to hear the AFL take on all this. It is of course those guys who need to green light the games. If they happen to poo poo it, we may have to all head down to Docklands with our Hoe's and Pitchforks and recreate the Stockade, which of course in essence was the battlers sticking it to the man!

Mofra
07-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Ballarat can sometimes feel like the coldest place on earth, especially if the winds a blowin'. I don't know what it's going to do for our football skills......
Probably the same thing that Williamstown did.

The bulldog tragician
07-11-2014, 02:46 PM
The cold factor wouldn't be much different from Launceston in the depths of winter, surely? (Brrrrr...)

I'm in favour of this idea, and with growing populations in Melton, Bacchus Marsh, Sunbury and Gisborne, it's a real chance to tap into new markets and those with young families.

jeemak
07-11-2014, 03:43 PM
The cold factor wouldn't be much different from Launceston in the depths of winter, surely? (Brrrrr...)

I'm in favour of this idea, and with growing populations in Melton, Bacchus Marsh, Sunbury and Gisborne, it's a real chance to tap into new markets and those with young families.

Launceston can be bitterly cold in every season!

bornadog
07-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Launceston can be bitterly cold in every season!

Went there for our match against the Saints about 10 years ago and it rained the whole day. That time there was no shelter, or very little and got soaked watching us kick 3 goals for the day. Home on the plane with the players, with Rhode not talking to a sole and sitting on his own.

gohardorgohome
07-11-2014, 06:12 PM

Etihad is closer to all of these areas than Ballarat. North Ballarat's ground is in a windswept industrial area.

I'd prefer it if they developed to Eastern Oval..

I head to Bendigo several times a year to watch Gisborne play.... I'd think the the Queen Elizabeth Oval is one of my favorite places to watch footy. It would be a fantastic venue for a GWS / Gold Coast game.

Eastdog
07-11-2014, 06:28 PM
All Dogs fans outside the west who want to travel to Ballarat by train.

0 km Southern Cross Zone 1

Seymour / Shepparton / Albury-Wodonga lines

4.9 km Footscray Zone 1

Geelong / Warrnambool line services

12.3 km Sunshine Zone 1/2

Bendigo / Swan Hill / Echuca lines

13.8 km Ardeer Zone 2

19.6 km Deer Park Zone 2

Geelong / Warrnambool lines

21.2 km Caroline Springs (to open 2016) Zone 2

31 km Rockbank Zone 2

41.3 km Melton Zone 2

47.03 km Parwan (Closed)

52.86 km Bacchus Marsh Zone 2

82.47 km Ballan Zone 4

91.20 km Gordon (Closed)

121.80 km Ballarat Zone 8

Maryborough line

123.13 km Wendouree Zone 8

Ararat line

westdog54
07-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Went there for our match against the Saints about 10 years ago and it rained the whole day. That time there was no shelter, or very little and got soaked watching us kick 3 goals for the day. Home on the plane with the players, with Rhode not talking to a sole and sitting on his own.
I remember being in our way to Mt Hotham that day and being stuck in Bright for the Night because the road up the mountain was closed due to the conditions.

There's a fair chance I was in a warmer spot than you that night.

Etihad is closer to all of these areas than Ballarat. North Ballarat's ground is in a windswept industrial area.

I'd prefer it if they developed to Eastern Oval..

I head to Bendigo several times a year to watch Gisborne play.... I'd think the the Queen Elizabeth Oval is one of my favorite places to watch footy. It would be a fantastic venue for a GWS / Gold Coast game.

There's already the makings of a good facility at North Ballarat, with the social venue already established, not to mention the fact that it is already a regular VFL venue.

Twodogs
08-11-2014, 01:14 AM

I spent the day at Sunshine hospital waiting for a Orthopedic/Pediatric surgeon to come and extract a sewing needle from my 3 yo daughter's thumb. I rang my mum (she's a seamstress) while we were waiting and she said "I do that all the time, just get some plyers and pull it out" I reminded her that Lucy was only 3 yo and went back to waiting and trying to stop Lucy from maiming other kids with the needle sticking out of her thumb. After nearly 8 hours the Orthopedic surgeon turned up, took a look and said "somebody pass me the plyers" :D

jeemak
08-11-2014, 03:22 AM

I worked in the trans-bass transport industry for a good five years, and can tell you there's not a lot of smiles and sunshine in Launceston. I travelled there a lot.

My worst trip there involved getting drenched disembarking the plane, followed by getting drenched getting to my hire car, getting a coffee on the way to our depot saw me drenched again. Once I dried off and the sky was clear it was time to visit a client, and as everything in Launceston is only ten or so minutes away I thought I was safe, but between the road and my client's office I got drenched again.

On the way back, I got drenched coming from the office of my client to my car. I stayed in my car after that. Five drenching's in the space of three hours was enough.

Twodogs
08-11-2014, 11:14 AM
I worked in the trans-bass transport industry for a good five years, and can tell you there's not a lot of smiles and sunshine in Launceston. I travelled there a lot.

My worst trip there involved getting drenched disembarking the plane, followed by getting drenched getting to my hire car, getting a coffee on the way to our depot saw me drenched again. Once I dried off and the sky was clear it was time to visit a client, and as everything in Launceston is only ten or so minutes away I thought I was safe, but between the road and my client's office I got drenched again.

On the way back, I got drenched coming from the office of my client to my car. I stayed in my car after that. Five drenching's in the space of three hours was enough.

That's pretty much Ballarat without the airport though. I like Ballarat-one of my oldest mates lives there-but, man, can it rain there!

bornadog
08-11-2014, 05:11 PM
That's pretty much Ballarat without the airport though. I like Ballarat-one of my oldest mates lives there-but, man, can it rain there!
Not just the rain, it's usually 2 degrees and that is summer:D

bulldogtragic
30-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Game On.

azabob
30-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Game On.

Literally...

The Underdog
30-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Game On.

Nothing more binding than a campaign promise:rolleyes:
I'll believe it when it's in the fixture

bornadog
30-11-2014, 02:09 PM

and politicians always keep their promises. :D

Mitcha
30-11-2014, 02:42 PM
A windswept North Ballarat stadium in the middle of Winter will not see me making the trip.

boydogs
30-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Great result for us. Contrast with 3 games in Tassie like North have got.

Bulldog4life
30-11-2014, 03:15 PM
A windswept North Ballarat stadium in the middle of Winter will not see me making the trip.

Who knows the games might be early in the year or later when the weather is not at its coldest. That seems logical to me.

Maddog37
30-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Who knows the games might be early in the year or later when the weather is not at its coldest. That seems logical to me.

Afl and logic don't mix.

Remi Moses
30-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Come on its not exactly Green Bay in January .
Harden up

azabob
30-11-2014, 03:35 PM

and politicians always keep their promises. :D

Little faith! Last time the government came through for us.

Bulldog4life
30-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Little faith! Last time the government came through for us.

The Government will be doing it for the people of Ballarat principally. We are just along for the ride.

Twodogs
30-11-2014, 09:27 PM

It couldn't be any colder than Waverley used to be.

LostDoggy
01-12-2014, 08:28 AM

Let Bonti and Stringer warm you up.

chef
01-12-2014, 08:49 AM
It couldn't be any colder than Waverley used to be.

As someone who's been to both on a freezing day I would say it is.

Twodogs
01-12-2014, 01:14 PM
As someone who's been to both on a freezing day I would say it is.

I tell you where it is freezing on a winter's day. Williamstown oval. Playing there on a July morning with the icy wind blowing in from the bay is a special sort of cold!

Mofra
02-12-2014, 04:09 PM
I tell you where it is freezing on a winter's day. Williamstown oval. Playing there on a July morning with the icy wind blowing in from the bay is a special sort of cold!
Oh god this, windswept and freezing with wind off the water from 3 sides.

Whitten Oval is a far better VFL experience.

bornadog
02-12-2014, 04:21 PM
As mentioned in the social club thread, we are aiming for two H&A games plus an NAB game from 2017.

Now its up to Dan.

Webby
04-12-2014, 08:49 PM
I find the negativity around this one a bit strange. I agree its a bit of a waste of taxpayer money, but who cares? It's money coming our club's way - pretty much.

As for the road trip, it'll be fun! Where is peoples' sense of adventure? And as for doing 15 odd games a season at stale old Etihad, I welcome the chance to mix it up a bit at a place with some character. Then there's the fact that it takes about $25 fuel to get to Ballarat and back. That's a lot cheaper than a flight to Launceston or Hobart - let alone Darwin or Cairns! And as for the cold, the worst day at the footy is when the cold catches you out.... If you turn up to Ballarat in winter without and extra layer or two of clothing....... well...... you're a dill!

Finally, the drive out to VFL Park from the western suburbs used to take the best part of 90mins in the old days. And that's without getting out of the carpark! We all pine for the old days and complain about the sterility of Etihad, yet when we get an exciting opportunity like this one, we moan about the cold? Spare me! I'm pretty amped about the whole thing. I fully intend to make the town ours!

Point is, we know it'll be cold in Ballarat, so just buck up and rug up.. Simple!

Remi Moses
04-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Geelong are getting their umpteenth govt funded ground upgrade.
I'm also a bit miffed by the continual negativity, as let's face it the club needs to raise its revenue.
Brian Cook on AW tonight reckons the AFL are going to buy Etihad in the next 12 months.
Those of us who attended Western oval games remember vividly 7 and 8 degree games, and wind chills of zero.

Webby
04-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Yes, the wind used to whip down the WO. Generally a northerly or a norwester, but freezing nonetheless.

The AFL has clearly been posturing to buy Etihad for the past 2-3 years. The thug Vlad tried every trick in the book to soften Etihad's management up. Constant talk about a third, 'boutique' stadium at either Princes Park or Punt Road, talk of extra games in Geelong, that Geelong final etc etc. Vlad tried every desk thumping angle and created a stalemate as the Etihad management stood up to it all.

Now, as with many other things, all Gil McLachlan has to do is play the good guy, reopen negotiations and meet the Etihad camp somewhere in the middle. For all the money they've pumped into GWS and Gold Coast, they could've bought Etihad and wiped off every Victorian clubs' debt. The sooner they buy Etihad, the better.

mighty_west
05-12-2014, 12:16 AM
My only beef is that I'm in Brisbane and will have to settle for watching it on tv otherwise I'd be there with bells on, whether it's belting rain or snowing, it'll be like the old days surviving the weather watching our beloved side play on a suburban ground, awesome!

For those whinging you could live in Brissy (my choice) and have to wait till round 23 next season at the Gabba for the one and only Dogs game!

boydogs
05-12-2014, 12:54 AM
For those whinging you could live in Brissy (my choice) and have to wait till round 23 next season at the Gabba for the one and only Dogs game!

Or in Cairns, see them for the first time in 5 years this year and we'll be in Ballarat instead in 2017!

bornadog
05-12-2014, 08:13 AM
I don't believe anyone was negative or complaining. The discussion was centred around the weather in Ballarat.

chef
05-12-2014, 08:45 AM
I don't believe anyone was negative or complaining. The discussion was centred around the weather in Ballarat.

Yeah, no ones complaining just stating the fact that outside of the snow zone Ballarat is the coldest place in Victoria. I spent my teenage years there and I've never experienced anything as cold as a winter there(I also have lived in Melbourne for about 5 years).

Maddog37
05-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Getting a bit soft in your old age Chef! Ballarat is nowhere near as cold as it was 25 years ago.

chef
05-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Getting a bit soft in your old age Chef! Ballarat is nowhere near as cold as it was 25 years ago.
The joys of global warming:D

Webby
05-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Wasn't narrowing my focus to WOOF alone. Did you see the Facebook posts on the club's site on the announcement? Several were not renewing their memberships, moaning about the drive, the weather, the waste of money etc etc. dig out the WBFC page on Facebook and have a read. It's incredulous!

bornadog
05-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Wasn't narrowing my focus to WOOF alone. Did you see the Facebook posts on the club's site on the announcement? Several were not renewing their memberships, moaning about the drive, the weather, the waste of money etc etc. dig out the WBFC page on Facebook and have a read. It's incredulous!

Didn't see that. Those people will complain about anything.

Eastdog
05-12-2014, 08:08 PM

Even if you don't plan to go to Ballarat to watch us there this is a big plus for our club in my opinion. We are only going to play 1-2 home games there so that's hardly that many the rest will still be at Ethiad/MCG. I'm an Eastern Western Bulldog and think this will be good. At least now we don't have to sell games interstate anymore.

BulldogBelle
07-12-2014, 01:48 AM

Some of our supporters are bloody whingers!

F'scary
07-12-2014, 02:25 PM
We might attract some new members too.

bornadog
30-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Ballarat makes sense: Minson (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-01-30/ballarat-makes-sense-minson)

Will Minson has thrown the playing group’s support behind the Club’s expansion into Ballarat, speaking with ABC Ballarat earlier this week.
“It’s pretty exciting, it makes a lot of sense for us to play some footy out in Ballarat and I know that a lot of Dogs fans out there are excited about it, as the whole club is,” Minson said.

The Bulldogs will play a NAB Challenge match against Melbourne on Saturday 14 March at Ballarat’s Eureka Stadium, where the Club will play up to three home and away games from as early as 2017.

The move follows a commitment from the Labor government to upgrade the stadium and its facilities, with the Bulldogs excited to bring all of the Club’s home matches back to Victoria, after previously adding home games in Cairns and Canberra to their fixtures.
Minson said the Club’s focus on the western region is integral to its future, and extending that to Ballarat was a natural progression.
“It’s an obvious relationship for us given its proximity to the footy club, part of the west (and the) fastest growing corridor in the country.

“We’re wanting to get as many fans as we can in that region and Ballarat’s very much the heartland of that, it seems an obvious place for us to play football.”

Tickets are now on sale for the Western Bulldogs NAB Challenge match at Eureka Stadium on Saturday 14 March. Click here to purchase. (http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/wb-v-melb-2015-nab-ballarat-victoria-14-03-2015/event/13004E29F728BC2E?artistid=1414842&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=711&tm_link=artist_msg-0_13004E29F728BC2E)

bornadog
07-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Locals cold on Eureka Stadium makeover for Western Bulldogs (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/locals-cold-on-eureka-stadium-makeover-for-western-bulldogs-20150207-1382qy.html)
It was something of a bolt from the blue, or red as the case may be, when Labor's prospective premier Daniel Andrews and Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon made a joint announcement at Ballarat's Eureka Stadium before the election in November.

They announced that North Ballarat's home ground, formerly known as the Northern Oval, would host two Bulldogs games a season in the AFL as part of a $31.5 million redevelopment if Labor were elected. The redevelopment would include work on the main oval as well as work on a secondary oval and the basketball stadium. Facilities would be improved to cater for crowds of up to 20,000.

The process towards fulfilling this promise is under way. The City of Ballarat chief executive, Anthony Schinck, said the state government has allocated $15 million for the first stage of the project. He said the project would be going ahead after five years of planning for AFL games at the Eureka Stadium.

But while Schinck said there had been much consultation about the project, some people in Ballarat are scratching their heads. They wonder whether the money could be better spent on a more agreeable venue.

Nobody doubts that North Ballarat is a wonderful club; its recent record includes a hat-trick of premierships in the VFL, from 2008-20010. It is well coached and administered. Arguably, it punches above its weight more than any club at state level around the nation.

But many football people at the local level in Ballarat have no great affinity for it. North Ballarat is not considered the club of the town; it is simply a club from the northern part of town, which plays at a high level at an unloved venue.

If you ask anyone in Ballarat to describe Eureka Stadium, the first word mentioned is "windswept". "A cold hole" is a more bracing description. Ballarat people wonder whether AFL fans would turn their noses up at the ground, which sits on an unattractive expanse of land just off the Western Highway.

Its location is a bonus for motorists; besides accessibility, there is plenty of parking. But the obvious question is how you get there from the train station, which, according to Google Maps, is 2.7 kilometres from the ground. It's a long walk along a tedious road. Buses would have to be organised.

The more central ground is the Eastern Oval, which is just 400 metres from the train station. The Eastern Oval is the ground most loved by Ballarat people. Since its redevelopment more than a decade ago, it has hosted the Ballarat Football League's preliminary final and grand final to great acclaim. About 4000 spectators cram in on grand final day. The atmosphere is humming. Unfortunately, there is just no room to develop the ground as an AFL venue.

The East Point Football Club is the home tenant. The club's president, Maurice O'Keefe (yes, the St Kilda wingman from the late 1970s), is proud of the fact that the Eastern Oval is so well loved. But he acknowledges that it is too small for redevelopment. And, besides, he fears for his club if the Bulldogs move in.

"We'd be kicked off, for sure," he said.

O'Keefe suggested that Victoria Park, to the west of the town centre, would be ripe for a boutique stadium. It features plenty of space, but no senior club is based there. It would be a neutral venue, making it more likely to be embraced.

The other main ground in town is the City Oval, which is two kilometres from the train station. Like the Eastern Oval, the City Oval has hosted footy and cricket matches since the 19th century. Like the Eastern Oval, it has an historic grandstand, but it's not really considered a candidate for redevelopment as a boutique stadium because there would be so much to do.

Redan, famously coached to success by John Northey in the early 1980s, is the home club at the City Oval. The Redan president, Peter Britt, wondered why there would be a ground redevelopment in the northern part of town given that the population is burgeoning on the southern and western outskirts.

Yes, parochialism is at issue here. Many Ballarat footy people find it hard to throw their weight behind North Ballarat because the Roosters bullied the local competition before moving into the VFL in 1996. And local footy fans' unease towards North Ballarat has been refuelled since the club was allowed to re-enter senior and reserves teams in the Ballarat Football League seven years ago.

The worst fears have been realised as the North Ballarat off-shoot, known as North Ballarat City, has won the past two flags. City would almost inevitably achieve more success in the Ballarat league if their facilities were further improved.

North Ballarat chief executive Mark Patterson knows the entire town is unlikely to agree with the ground's redevelopment, but he is confident that the majority can be persuaded of the benefits. The Roosters believe they are the best placed to host the biggest show in town.

F'scary
08-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Very interesting article, thanks BAD. The lesson to be taken home from it is that if our Ballarat venture is to succeed we (and the State government, who is bank rolling the venture) need to make sure local sensibilities are carefully handled. Although, I have to say, Ballarat is so relatively small it is funny to encounter in this age of globalism such a purported degree of tribalism from one street to the next.

For those wondering, I love Ballarat & district, have holidayed there a number of times in recent years and am supportive in principle of the move to play 2 games a season there on the grounds that it will help focus and grow our brand as the team of the west and will provide a venue our opponents will dread playing at - an old fashioned, home ground advantage - the deal should be that interstate sides have to play us there :-) ;-).

Maddog37
08-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Would love to have a ground at Victoria park as I could take a short walk to the game. Alas it is not a reality.

GVGjr
08-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Money spent at the Eastern Oval could be the better option but highly unlikely. I just think Eureka is a harder venue to get to. Eureka needs a lot of work.

Maddog37
08-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Very limited space there though.

Webby
11-02-2015, 11:43 PM
Yes, on Paul Daffy's article, it's true that North Ballarat really are the Collingwood of the Ballarat district. Loved by more than any club, but hated by most! Also, it's true that their ground is a long way from town and is in the middle of nowhere.

It's also windswept and far less pretty and atmospheric than City Oval and Eastern Oval. However, on the bright side, I think that's where the potential old fashioned home ground advantage comes in. The WO is as windy as any old league ground in Australia. Our guys train there year round, unlike some others who do so at more sheltered venues. Super windy conditions present a real advantage to the team accustomed to it. It was a genuine 2 goal advantage at WO in the old days. Etihad offers ZERO home ground advantage.

Also, there's a massive pool hall next door to Eureka as well as an indoor go karts track. Something to perhaps do as a pre match ritual.. Also, a bit of a road trip and perhaps an overnight stay could be a great excuse to get away from the wife for the night with a couple of mates. Grab a decent meal, have a few beers, maybe do some shopping on Sunday morning...

Give it 5 or so years and if we support the town by showing up, spending some money and behaving ourselves, we really can paint the town red, white and blue. It's an exciting thing for our club.

Webby
15-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Just on the train home from Ballarat having dropped into the Eastern Oval for a quick squiz prior to leaving.

It struck me yesterday that the Northern Oval has virtually no embankments. It is 1,000 miles off an AFL venue, has zero "old world" charm and is double that of a stretched, reasonable walking distance from Ballarat Station. I'll pay it credit that it's a blank canvas and has plenty of space for development and parking, but it does have a distinct "Waverley" feel to it!

As things stand at present, it's a poor place to watch footy. It's badly in need of terracing. I'm reasonably tall, so could cope, but any shorter people stuck 4+ rows back needn't have even bothered. The only real terracing was under the scoreboard. The taxi driver we flagged down for a ride back into town told us that Nth Ballarat Footy Club specifically didn't want any embankments because the supporter preference was to park cars around the oval and watch from there.

Eastern Oval is 5 mins walk from the station. It is tucked away in a small valley amongst trees - offering good protection from Ballarat's cutting wind (which even this morning - mid March - will sting you!) it's got a really nice old stand and is very quaint.

Eastern Oval would make a beautiful, boutique setting for an AFL ground, but I can understand why North Ballarat is the preferred option. Nonetheless, I will say that it would be just as easy to start afresh on a blank site as to develop the Northern Oval!

Anyway, as for the Ballarat experience, it's so easy to get in and out of. It's the perfect size for a weekend visit, the pubs and restaurants are great, breakfast cafe options are good. It's very relaxing to just wander down to the station, swipe the Myki card and be back in Footscray in 70 odd minutes for about $8.

Although, I'll be packing a lot heavier in winter, that's for sure!!

GVGjr
15-03-2015, 08:13 PM
The ground is adjacent to an industrial area so I wonder if that theme should be carried over. The primary need to is stop the wind cutting through the ground and the stadium design needs to focus on that.
I think it needs to have seating for about 10,000 and standing room for another 8,000 if it is to be a viable option for us to play two games per season. Get us much of that undercover given how brutal the weather can be.

Twodogs
15-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Are there many residential areas near the ground?

Webby
15-03-2015, 08:45 PM
I put a lot of thought into it over the weekend. A blank site would be easier than Eureka... Honestly, the current club rooms-cum-small stand that is there is completely inadequate and would need to be demolished, whilst the current light towers are planted right behind the fences.

I had a look at Eastern Oval and it is a beautiful setting. It also has a stand which would look the part with some newer stands nestled around it. It would fit far more patrons than the Northern Oval at present.

Then there's Ballarat City Oval. It's got an even nicer (and bigger) grandstand. Strangely, it's set a long way back from the ground as the oval is cut into a 'D' shape in front of the stand. Instead of the oval coming towards the stand, there's a big bitumen area. I'm not sure what the reason for that would've been. Perhaps they did that pre WW2 to allow marching bands or drill demonstrations or something like that. It seems to me that you could rip that area up, reclaim it as playing surface, improve the calibration of the ground and incorporate some newer stands. It struck me as having a heap of upside. It'd also do the local comp and tennant club (Redan?) no harm.

I think that would come up beautifully. Speaking of which, the QE2 oval in Bendigo came up a treat for the Pies Blues game this afternoon. It was a really good advertisement for Bendigo. I think Ballarat locals would want to put their best foot forward in hosting nationally broadcasted AFL games.

I follow a bit of baseball. I've seen some teams build some new ballparks with some genuine old world charm. If it is to be the Northern Oval, I hope they incorporate a bit of a nod to the City and Eastern Ovals into the design. Ballarat is a beautiful old city, so it's be great to see some of that reflected in the new stadium.

Webby
15-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Are there many residential areas near the ground?

The closest you'd get to a house on the southern side of the ground is a car dealership. That's an advantage for development, I guess. However, based on yesterday's wind direction, the best place to build a stand (and block the wind) is the pocket which is, in fact, pressed up against houses.

Having said that, the wind may have been coming from an atypical direction, yesterday.

Twodogs
15-03-2015, 11:12 PM
The closest you'd get to a house on the southern side of the ground is a car dealership. That's an advantage for development, I guess. However, based on yesterday's wind direction, the best place to build a stand (and block the wind) is the pocket which is, in fact, pressed up against houses.

Having said that, the wind may have been coming from an atypical direction, yesterday.

Sounds lovely.

LostDoggy
17-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Regarding the location all that needs to be done is have 2 Courtesy Buses waiting at the station to drop people at the ground. Same for when the match finishes. If you don't get on the first round of buses, you will only have to wait all of 15 minutes. No worse than waiting for trams.

Whilst Eastern Oval/City Oval would be much better for the people coming via train, the locals would struggle to get a park within 15 minutes of each ground. I would say locals would make for 60-70% of the crowd numbers, so If we want to maximise crowds Eureka just seems the best option.

Driving is so easy. It's so simple to get too from the highway and there will be plenty of parking due to the blank space around the ground currently.

Once a grandstand is built on the other side of the ground much of the wind will be blocked out. Some simple alterations can make mounds/hills in the spots where no seating will be. This will solve the people not being able to see dilemma.

The biggest thing the ground has going for it is the actual playing surface. My uncle is in charge of maintaining the sporting grounds in Ballarat, the Bulldogs coaching staff were full of praise of the surface. Bevo even mentioned to my uncle after the open training session that the surface is better than the Whitten Oval.

bornadog
17-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Regarding the location all that needs to be done is have 2 Courtesy Buses waiting at the station to drop people at the ground. Same for when the match finishes. If you don't get on the first round of buses, you will only have to wait all of 15 minutes. No worse than waiting for trams.

Whilst Eastern Oval/City Oval would be much better for the people coming via train, the locals would struggle to get a park within 15 minutes of each ground. I would say locals would make for 60-70% of the crowd numbers, so If we want to maximise crowds Eureka just seems the best option.

Driving is so easy. It's so simple to get too from the highway and there will be plenty of parking due to the blank space around the ground currently.

Once a grandstand is built on the other side of the ground much of the wind will be blocked out. Some simple alterations can make mounds/hills in the spots where no seating will be. This will solve the people not being able to see dilemma.

The biggest thing the ground has going for it is the actual playing surface. My uncle is in charge of maintaining the sporting grounds in Ballarat, the Bulldogs coaching staff were full of praise of the surface. Bevo even mentioned to my uncle after the open training session that the surface is better than the Whitten Oval.

Were there many locals at the game on the weekend, or too hard to tell.

LostDoggy
17-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Were there many locals at the game on the weekend, or too hard to tell.

Bit hard to tell. Most of the Dogs/Dees fans I knew obviously went. Did know of a few mutuals who also went.

Webby
17-03-2015, 03:36 PM

Whilst Eastern Oval/City Oval would be much better for the people coming via train, the locals would struggle to get a park within 15 minutes of each ground.

It’s a done deal that Eureka Stadium will be the venue for the games and the proximity to the station is easily addressed. My point was more just commentary on the “Locals Cold on Eureka Stadium Makeover” article from the Age on 7th Feb.
Most patrons will drive in and therefore need parking. Also, the big money plan is for Ballarat Racing, the Agricultural Society and local junior & indoor sports to be catered for in a precinct.

So within that, I’m just hoping that when they do develop the oval, they give a bit of a nod to the City Oval and the Eastern Oval and replicate a bit of that ‘feel’. When I walked down to the Eastern Oval, I felt that ‘fwoarrgh’ feeling for the place. Similar to the one you feel when you see the City Oval grandstand or the Queen Elizabeth Oval in Bendigo. They have ready-made showpieces which can be built around. I can see merit in the claim that the locals prefer those ovals. They are very, very nice.

North Ballarat’s ground has none of that ambience at present. It’s currently pretty underwhelming with just a 1980’s or ‘90’s era clubroom-cum-stand. Impressive clubrooms, but, aside from that it could be any suburban oval. Albeit with a great playing surface. However it must be said that most football-only ovals are in pretty good nick in March. The Northern Oval gets a bit damper in July!

Those clubrooms are (logically) built in the best mid-wing, south facing viewing position. This, of course occupies the most logical place in which to build a big new stand. It also blocks the best place in which to shepherd the northerly wind with a bigger structure. That’s a shame, but bye-the-bye, really. I just hope that they can incorporate a bit of design into the new stand(s) to make them look in keeping with the Ballarat feel. The newer baseball stadium designs in America tend to achieve that nowadays. I just wonder if anyone would be able to come up with something that fits the bill?

LostDoggy
19-03-2015, 01:12 AM
Well Webby, I think you should contact the council and see if you can get involved. You obviously have the interest, and your thoughts / arguments are sound. I'm sure there will be a stage of community engagement that you can get involved with.

Webby
19-03-2015, 10:57 AM
I'm not a Ballarat resident. They'd need me like a hole in the head. I'm just looking at it from a Dogs supporter's viewpoint in order to bring some understanding to the state of play up there. We might find that they appear a bit ho-hum about the whole "AFL coming to Ballarat" thing in future months. That or perhaps a bit divided as to the correct location for the development.

Thought it'd be worthwhile to bring some context for the benefit of other non-Ballarat Dogs fans. If they do appear to be a bit all over the place on the thing, it's good to know that it's not the WBFC they have an issue with, but rather the dilemma that many of them see with their council spending millions on a location for which they have very little affection.

bornadog
17-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Eureka Stadium funding confirmed (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-06-17/eureka-stadium-funding-confirmed)
$31.5 million of State Government funding has been confirmed for the redevelopment of Ballarat’s Eureka Stadium precinct, supporting the Bulldogs’ vision of home and away matches at the regional venue from 2017.

The Premier, Daniel Andrews and the State Minister for Sport, John Eren, joined Western Bulldogs President Peter Gordon at Eureka Stadium on Tuesday to announce the funding will flow from 1 July, 2015 as part of the 2015-16 Victorian Budget, with $2.5 million already fast-tracked so the project can start sooner.

The $31.5 million commitment includes $15 million for Eureka Stadium – to build a state of the art stadium for the region.

With funds set to flow from the start of next month, the City of Ballarat has appointed two architects – local firm Morton Dunn Architects, and Queensland based firm Populous, who developed the concept plan for Metricon Stadium – to review the precinct’s master plan.

The plan for Eureka Stadium includes new lighting, spectator seating and a video scoreboard that will support the Western Bulldogs ambition to play AFL home-and-away matches in Ballarat.

Speaking at the announcement earlier this week, Gordon said the Bulldogs were committed to a strong and permanent presence in Ballarat.

“We have spent a lot of time in Ballarat this year, talking to local businesses and talking to the local people,” he said.

“We want to employ local people from Ballarat to staff that office and they will be engaged in the activities of a community based football club,” he said.

“We run a number of programs in the Western region of Melbourne, our men’s health program is a world leader and we want to introduce that to Ballarat.

“In addition to that we will be doing our membership services and marketing to businesses and we want to be a seat at the table when issues in relation to the stadium or the stadium arrangements are played out.”

Twodogs
17-06-2015, 04:58 PM
I hope we follow through on this. Not that I love Ballarat or anything but it would be a handy base to play a few home games at. Football town, not to far from Melbourne, handy alternative membership base, if zones ever did come back Ballarat would be one of the juiciest fruits. With a bit of work there is lots of upside.

But, for Gods sake, if we are going to do it then let's do it properly. Darwin, Cairns, Canberra-we've been a bit all over the place with selling home games over the last decade or so. So let's resource this sufficiently so we can cover Ballarat in Red, White and Blue leading up to the games and try and make it an event that people really want to go to. Maybe play the first game at the new Eureka stadium as the first thing held there? Try and make an association with Ballarat the way Hawthorn have in Tassie.

bornadog
17-06-2015, 05:06 PM
I hope we follow through on this. Not that I love Ballarat or anything but it would be a handy base to play a few home games at. Football town, not to far from Melbourne, handy alternative membership base, if zones ever did come back Ballarat would be one of the juiciest fruits. With a bit of work there is lots of upside.

But, for Gods sake, if we are going to do it then let's do it properly. Darwin, Cairns, Canberra-we've been a bit all over the place with selling home games over the last decade or so. So let's resource this sufficiently so we can cover Ballarat in Red, White and Blue leading up to the games and try and make it an event that people really want to go to. Maybe play the first game at the new Eureka stadium as the first thing held there? Try and make an association with Ballarat the way Hawthorn have in Tassie.

Agree, we have to do it properly. Population of Ballarat = 102k plus. Compared to Launceston 86k

LostDoggy
17-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Eureka Stadium funding confirmed (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-06-17/eureka-stadium-funding-confirmed)
$31.5 million of State Government funding has been confirmed for the redevelopment of Ballarat’s Eureka Stadium precinct, supporting the Bulldogs’ vision of home and away matches at the regional venue from 2017.

The Premier, Daniel Andrews and the State Minister for Sport, John Eren, joined Western Bulldogs President Peter Gordon at Eureka Stadium on Tuesday to announce the funding will flow from 1 July, 2015 as part of the 2015-16 Victorian Budget, with $2.5 million already fast-tracked so the project can start sooner.

The $31.5 million commitment includes $15 million for Eureka Stadium – to build a state of the art stadium for the region.

With funds set to flow from the start of next month, the City of Ballarat has appointed two architects – local firm Morton Dunn Architects, and Queensland based firm Populous, who developed the concept plan for Metricon Stadium – to review the precinct’s master plan.

The plan for Eureka Stadium includes new lighting, spectator seating and a video scoreboard that will support the Western Bulldogs ambition to play AFL home-and-away matches in Ballarat.

Speaking at the announcement earlier this week, Gordon said the Bulldogs were committed to a strong and permanent presence in Ballarat.

“We have spent a lot of time in Ballarat this year, talking to local businesses and talking to the local people,” he said.

“We want to employ local people from Ballarat to staff that office and they will be engaged in the activities of a community based football club,” he said.

“We run a number of programs in the Western region of Melbourne, our men’s health program is a world leader and we want to introduce that to Ballarat.

“In addition to that we will be doing our membership services and marketing to businesses and we want to be a seat at the table when issues in relation to the stadium or the stadium arrangements are played out.”

Why the HELL don't they pour there 31.5 mill in upgrading the Whitten Oval to play 2 AFL matches a year at our spiritual home??? :mad: :mad:

bulldogtragic
17-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Why the HELL don't they pour there 31.5 mill in upgrading the Whitten Oval to play 2 AFL matches a year at our spiritual home??? :mad: :mad:

A skeptic would say marginal seats get funding, ie. Geelong, Ballarat. Or not?

ledge
17-06-2015, 06:03 PM

Not mad at all , our VFL club plays there and we need to explore new places to expand the club, look at the Hawks in Tassie.
Great idea, I would make it early in the season games though when it's still warm.

jeemak
17-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Not mad at all , our VFL club plays there and we need to explore new places to expand the club, look at the Hawks in Tassie.
Great idea, I would make it early in the season games though when it's still warm.

Agreed, however we need to be mindful of on the spot membership sign-ups in the early rounds.

Maddog37
17-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I am happy.

Greystache
17-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Great if the club can make some money from it, but I've seen so many horrible football games played in freezing windy conditions at Footscray and Williamstown that as a fan I'm not excited about this.

Eastdog
17-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Good news. While I live far away from Ballarat our clubs overall future is most important. I hope the next good news will be a better stadium deal at Etihad.

comrade
17-06-2015, 09:26 PM
As a current Ballarat resident that can literally hear the local team training at Eureka stadium on a Thursday night, I'm cautiously optimistic about this whole endeavour. I'd love to see the town get behind the club in a way it never has with North Melbourne but it is quite a conservative, insular community with rusted on support for the big clubs.

josie
17-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Thanks BAD for post.

Do you or other woofers know what the residual $16.5 amount is for? i.e. article states "The $31.5 million commitment includes $15 million for Eureka Stadium – to build a state of the art stadium for the region."

josie
17-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Hi BAD

Think I've answered my own question..."$31.5 million of State Government funding has been confirmed for the redevelopment of Ballarat’s Eureka Stadium precinct, supporting the Bulldogs’ vision of home and away matches at the regional venue from 2017." (Of which the $15M is for the new stadium itself, other bit must be surrounding infrastructure, roads etc.)

Eastdog
17-06-2015, 10:40 PM

I see your point and I would I have to say I would love 1-2 home games at Whitten Oval per year as my signature says but I can also see the benefits of the Ballarat experiment.

boydogs
17-06-2015, 10:40 PM
other bit must be surrounding infrastructure, roads etc

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2203910/labor-pledges-to-fund-eureka-stadium-sports-precinct/

Twodogs
17-06-2015, 11:57 PM
I see your point and I would I have to say I would love 1-2 home games at Whitten Oval per year as my signature says but I can also see the benefits of the Ballarat experiment.

Thing is Easty, if the Ballarat thing goes ahead then we need to focus all our energy and fore siteon Ballarat, not get distracted by a back to WHitten Oval push.

Twodogs
18-06-2015, 12:00 AM
Agree, we have to do it properly. Population of Ballarat = 102k plus. Compared to Launceston 86k

Weird, Launceston seems bigger. It must be the Airport.

Eastdog
18-06-2015, 12:30 AM
Thing is Easty, if the Ballarat thing goes ahead then we need to focus all our energy and fore siteon Ballarat, not get distracted by a back to WHitten Oval push.

Yeah true that that need to be the focus if it comes to fruition.

Webby
18-06-2015, 12:31 AM
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2203910/labor-pledges-to-fund-eureka-stadium-sports-precinct/

Am I reading this correctly??!!:

"The upgrade is not quite what Labor committed to in 2010, when it went to an election promising a 15,000 seat stadium.

However, while the 6000-seat option won’t be big enough to host AFL games, it is considered by the City of Ballarat to be a more pragmatic approach to redeveloping the site."

Have we been duped here?!

Eastdog
18-06-2015, 12:33 AM

"The upgrade is not quite what Labor committed to in 2010, when it went to an election promising a 15,000 seat stadium.

However, while the 6000-seat option won’t be big enough to host AFL games, it is considered by the City of Ballarat to be a more pragmatic approach to redeveloping the site."

Cant trust the government at face value.

boydogs
18-06-2015, 02:01 AM

Not sure, that article is from April 2014 which I linked to show where the rest of the money is going but the dollars seem to be the same

bornadog
20-07-2015, 06:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKVm3YWW8AAYQ5B.jpg

bornadog
23-07-2015, 05:17 PM
A few there at the clinic today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKk_y44VAAAX58_.jpg

Webby
03-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Dropped by Ballarat today on the way home from Cup weekend camping trip. Stopped by Northern Oval and was surprised to see that a whole raft of civils works was going on. It seems the whole oval has been stripped with upgraded drainage going in. There were also what looked like embankments and terracing going in. That's a far cry from the dead flat car park set up they had back in March. They've moved some serious earth!

Anyway, the plan was to get out of the car and have the kids stretch their legs by kicking the footy a bit, so we dropped by the City Oval... I've gotta say, it's a pretty stunning backdrop. To my eye, The money that's being spent on the Northern oval would've made the City Oval the most attractive ground in the AFL. It's in a really nice pocket of Ballarat, too.

I'm hoping the Northern Oval development knocks our socks off.

bornadog
19-11-2015, 02:45 PM
New Stadium Design

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12227633_1121380171212938_302619934605315588_n.jpg?oh=6ce70b cc0d064e083a4bd23f3d3e665d&oe=56F8F582

bornadog
19-11-2015, 02:45 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12250140_1121379801212975_5222928089457657300_n.png?oh=37bae 0a9fba282b3ad28ae726c64daf9&oe=56E5F761&__gda__=1454261504_9026348161d0b1c4c87d2706daad1501

bornadog
19-11-2015, 02:46 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/t31.0-8/12238441_1121378787879743_4371296968741402718_o.jpg

bornadog
19-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Link (http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/3500769/stadium-designs-revealed/#slide=3)

CONCEPT designs for the Eureka Stadium redevelopment have been revealed as construction on the $15 million project moves quickly to meet a 2017 deadline.

It comes as Western Bulldogs chief executive Peter Gordon revealed negotiations with the AFL were now complete and games would be scheduled for Ballarat during the 2017 season assuming construction was finished.

Minister for Regional Development Jaala Pulford revealed the designs on Wednesday and also announced Melbourne architectural firm Peddle Thorp Architects had been appointed to deliver the project.

The construction of the 5000 seat grandstand will now enter a community consultation phase with a community information session to be conducted in early December to view to designs.

Construction would then start in 2016.

Ms Pulford said a number of changes had been made to the oval to meet the demand of the AFL and the Western Bulldogs.

The plan to have games played at the facility by 2017 was labelled “ambitious” when first announced, however, with work on the oval already underway, it is one election commitment that looks to be on track for a quick finish.

“”By this time next year we will have our dates for games in Ballarat,” she said.

“It can be frustrating for everybody when something is promised and it takes a little while before you are seeing earth being moved or construction happening. But this was well advanced, this is something the local community have a had a long time interest in.”

Mr Gordon said the Bulldogs planned to be the team in Western Victoria for the next hundred years.

“This is no fly-in fly-out operation for us,” he said.

“It is a win-win situation, everyone is a winner. It is great to bring AFL football to the people of Ballarat, it is great to grow our club into this region, it is great for tourism, it is providing jobs, there are so many good elements to this.”

He also reiterated his commitment to open an office in Ballarat before the end of the year.

City of Ballarat Mayor Des Hudson said the project was a certainty to be completed by 2017.

“It opens an opportunity for those people who are coming for the AFL football to stay over and enjoy a regional experience rather than just going to and from the game,” he said. “We would encourage them to come and support their teams but also spend a couple of days and embrace everything Ballarat has to offer.”

Maddog37
19-11-2015, 06:33 PM
No protection from the south wind!!??

GVGjr
19-11-2015, 08:10 PM
No protection from the south wind!!??

I'll never understand why they don't just finish the grounds off from the start and especially when you have to impress people traveling from Melbourne.

SonofScray
23-11-2015, 01:02 PM
11k capacity seems too small. 6k in the stands, 5k standing room?

15k seems like a more appropriate, sell out each game but remain accessible option.

LostDoggy
03-12-2015, 03:00 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-12-03/dogs-strike-gold

For those still doubting the awesomeness of our Ballarat deal, check out the boys promoting Sovereign Hill.

That's gold.

Next stop Kryall Castle?

F'scary
03-12-2015, 10:12 PM
I love Sovereign Hill. It is really well done and a great way of getting youngsters to learn a bit about our State's 19th century history.

For those with families 0-10 yo, the place is a winner for all and has so much to offer, one full day is not enough to cover it. I recommend you book yourself an overnight stay at a b&b or a holiday let in Ballarat (Craig's Hotel if you want to really lash out) Two outings at Sovereign Hill and have a take away dinner treat or a cheap restaurant in town. The town is grand with impressive Victorian era buildings. The Ballarat Wildlife Park is also pretty damn good to round off a great weekend or long week end with the kids on a low stress holiday.

Twodogs
03-12-2015, 10:49 PM
I love Sovereign Hill. It is really well done and a great way of getting youngsters to learn a bit about our State's 19th century history.

For those with families 0-10 yo, the place is a winner for all and has so much to offer, one full day is not enough to cover it. I recommend you book yourself an overnight stay at a b&b or a holiday let in Ballarat (Craig's Hotel if you want to really lash out) Two outings at Sovereign Hill and have a take away dinner treat or a cheap restaurant in town. The town is grand with impressive Victorian era buildings. The Ballarat Wildlife Park is also pretty damn good to round off a great weekend or long week end with the kids on a low stress holiday.

They have the Eureka Stockade every night there too.

LostDoggy
03-12-2015, 10:57 PM

At Kryall Castle they have knights jousting and models of medieval tortures such as rats eating through stomachs (or they did in 1980 when I was mightily impressed as a 12 year old).

Bulldog4life
03-12-2015, 11:24 PM

I reckon I went to the Eureka Stockade night about 20 years ago. It was great then.

Twodogs
03-12-2015, 11:45 PM
At Kryall Castle they have knights jousting and models of medieval tortures such as rats eating through stomachs (or they did in 1980 when I was mightily impressed as a 12 year old).

I've never been to Kyral Castle. I'm a medieval history buff so I don't know why.

I reckon I went to the Eureka Stockade night about 20 years ago. It was great then.

I went about ten years ago. It was pretty good.

SonofScray
03-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Side note, in 1890 on this date my Great Great Great Grandfather passed away after a career on the goldfield in which he was credited as the 1st man to find gold in Victoria. He has a bust at the Museum in Ballarat, I will go visit on game days.

comrade
03-12-2015, 11:53 PM
Not ashamed to say that I am a Sovereign Hill buff. Being a Ballaratian, I go every few months.

Glad that the Club have gotten involved with a major Ballarat organisation. Look forward to seeing how we can continue to develop the alliance.

Twodogs
04-12-2015, 12:00 AM
Side note, in 1890 on this date my Great Great Great Grandfather passed away after a career on the goldfield in which he was credited as the 1st man to find gold in Victoria. He has a bust at the Museum in Ballarat, I will go visit on game days.

Hargrave? Or was he the bloke who found gold in Bathurst?

bornadog
04-12-2015, 12:07 AM
James Esmond

SonofScray
04-12-2015, 12:19 AM

Esmond. He was on the steam ship from California with Hargrave, but decided to follow a rumour that Clunes would yield the best results.

Twodogs
04-12-2015, 02:35 AM
Yep. I've heard of Esmond.

bornadog
04-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Esmond. He was on the steam ship from California with Hargrave, but decided to follow a rumour that Clunes would yield the best results.

Hopefully he followed FFC. :)

Proud heritage for you.

Eastdog
04-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Went to Soverign Hill in primary school for camp. Yep the Eureka Stockade was a highlight, bowling, panning for gold :)

Great to have our club involved. Rather Ballarat for 1-2 games a year than interstate.

LostDoggy
05-12-2015, 07:52 AM
We moved out here in August and I have to say, it's a bloody wonderful town. History, art, good food and coffee, great fishing if you're into that, nice lifestyle, all the conveniences with little traffic. I've fished almost every day since moving here. The locals are fiercely loyal to Ballarat-based sport. The Courier (local rag) will feature a back page spread on any ex-AFL player starring for a local team nowadays no matter who they are. If the Dogs can pull this off, and foster a genuine and authentic relationship at lasts more than 10 years, we will absolutely reap the benefits.

F'scary
06-12-2015, 05:03 PM
I have been thinking about the deal, it is a great venue to play the low drawing interstate sides at and preferably the ones that would have trouble acclimatising - GWS Barbies and Gold Coke in particular. And then Brisbane. The home ground advantage in winter against those soft, sun loving teams - they will regret their all over depilations and piercings of sensitive places when they run out into the Ballarat cold. We could pretty much get a forfeit at Ballarat against those teams.

boydogs
06-12-2015, 06:42 PM
I have been thinking about the deal, it is a great venue to play the low drawing interstate sides at and preferably the ones that would have trouble acclimatising - GWS Barbies and Gold Coke in particular. And then Brisbane. The home ground advantage in winter against those soft, sun loving teams - they will regret their all over depilations and piercings of sensitive places when they run out into the Ballarat cold. We could pretty much get a forfeit at Ballarat against those teams.

There will be a unique wind to deal with as well which is what has made Geelong such a fortress over the years. It's as much an on-field advantage as off-field money maker, and without having to travel interstate

GVGjr
06-12-2015, 07:38 PM
There will be a unique wind to deal with as well which is what has made Geelong such a fortress over the years. It's as much an on-field advantage as off-field money maker, and without having to travel interstate

Challenging conditions. We go from playing in the most weather protected stadium to potentially one of the windiest and coldest.
It has the potential to be a major challenge around skill execution for our players. It might also be a challenge to get our fans going there on a consistent basis.

Mantis
07-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Challenging conditions. We go from playing in the most weather protected stadium to potentially one of the windiest and coldest.
It has the potential to be a major challenge around skill execution for our players. It might also be a challenge to get our fans going there on a consistent basis.

Yep.. For this reason you would hope that our games aren't scheduled during the dark depths of winter.

Eastdog
07-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Yep.. For this reason you would hope that our games aren't scheduled during the dark depths of winter.

Yes that's right Mantis. It can be freezing their during the depths of winter. High land.

Greystache
07-12-2015, 03:29 PM

We train in not too dissimilar conditions, so it shouldn't be such an issue. Although teams seems to play Whitten Oval conditions better than we do for some reason.

I think getting fans to games in Ballarat will be a massive challenge. Having been a regular at Williamstown games in the past I can testify that freezing conditions, and terrible visual spectacles due to the wind, impacted my going to games many times. And I lived 5 minutes from the ground.

Playing in Ballarat amplifies the Williamstown experience by making it even colder and a lot further to travel. I hope we can engage the local community because I don't see huge numbers traveling from Melbourne to attend.

Murphy'sLore
07-12-2015, 03:59 PM
We went to Hobart a couple of times, Ballarat shouldn't be too much of stretch :)

Though I would be happier if you told me the new grandstand offered some shelter from the wind, which apparently it won't. Which seems dumb.

Bulldog4life
07-12-2015, 04:34 PM
It is quite possible that the two games are at the start of the season and the end. Hope so. Makes sense.

Bulldog Joe
07-12-2015, 05:03 PM

Pretty sure Kryal Castle has been closed.

Edit Just checked and it re-opened in 2013

bornadog
07-12-2015, 05:59 PM
We train in not too dissimilar conditions, so it shouldn't be such an issue. Although teams seems to play Whitten Oval conditions better than we do for some reason.

I think getting fans to games in Ballarat will be a massive challenge. Having been a regular at Williamstown games in the past I can testify that freezing conditions, and terrible visual spectacles due to the wind, impacted my going to games many times. And I lived 5 minutes from the ground.

Playing in Ballarat amplifies the Williamstown experience by making it even colder and a lot further to travel. I hope we can engage the local community because I don't see huge numbers traveling from Melbourne to attend.

Hopefully we fill the ground with Ballarat locals. - a whole new supporter base.

I remember going up to Darwin and we had just been fishing and were waiting at a pier. The ferry came in from the Tiwi Islands and it was amazing to see all the Tiwi Islanders on the ferry with Bulldog beanies and scarves. Pity the AFL didn't let us build on that.

Twodogs
07-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Hopefully we fill the ground with Ballarat locals. - a whole new supporter base.

I remember going up to Darwin and we had just been fishing and were waiting at a pier. The ferry came in from the Tiwi Islands and it was amazing to see all the Tiwi Islanders on the ferry with Bulldog beanies and scarves. Pity the AFL didn't let us build on that.

It is. The Darwin footy and cultural experience is something else. It was a real positive. Still I will take Ballarat as a development zone from a pragmatic POV any day

SonofScray
08-12-2015, 06:18 PM

If the stadium only holds 11k we'll have no issues. Thats a very small proportion of our supporter base and the Ballarat community. Should be selling out every game. If not, something has gone amiss. The flip side is that with the capacity at that level and so many "Melbourne" based member's effectively locked out it could turn into a bit of a PR nightmare.

I am moderately sceptical, but supportive of the whole thing. Will definitely be making the trip up for all the games, I want to see more footy involving our Club, not less. Need to get some bang for my buck out a membership package too.

bornadog
28-01-2016, 05:24 PM
New Turf

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12512718_1163981473619474_1375160036992405162_n.jpg?oh=f263d d2c36ecb42f9dee0ff1b8b7c1e6&oe=5748A2C0

LostDoggy
28-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Looking at that backdrop, there is a lot of work to be done.

Topdog
29-01-2016, 01:43 PM
so is this actually still happening?

bornadog
29-01-2016, 02:29 PM

oh yes, all systems go

bornadog
01-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Further Update:

Other works to have already begun on the Eureka Stadium Project are:

Installing watering and drainage systems.
Reducing the oval size to be the same as Etihad Stadium, and making more room for proposed grandstands and match day facilities.
Upgrading change-rooms and match day facilities to AFL standard.
Upgrading stadium seating, providing public shelters, toilets for all-abilities access, catering and food beverage facilities and ticketing infrastructure.
Improving lighting around the main oval and providing a video and electronic scoreboard.
The Western Bulldogs’ vision is to play home and away matches at the regional venue from 2017.

GVGjr
01-02-2016, 05:06 PM
It's getting close. Full steam ahead

bornadog
01-02-2016, 05:36 PM
It's getting close. Full steam ahead

Shame it is not MCG size.

F'scary
01-02-2016, 08:47 PM
I would like to find out who else gets to use the ground. To grow our brand in the western region we need to be seen to be good partners with local organisations - sporting and otherwise.

Twodogs
01-02-2016, 09:12 PM

The club appointed a Ballarat development officer a while ago.

LostDoggy
02-02-2016, 12:34 AM
I would like to find out who else gets to use the ground. To grow our brand in the western region we need to be seen to be good partners with local organisations - sporting and otherwise.

The (North) Ballarat VFL and TAC teams will also use the ground, don't know who else.

LostDoggy
02-02-2016, 10:57 AM
The club appointed a Ballarat development officer a while ago.

Brett Goodes.

The locals here (I live in Ballarat, moved here last August when I found out we'd be playing home games here ;)) are very "local" with their footy — the local news revolves heavily around either local teams or any particular AFL player with a Ballarat connection.

With a raft of talent from this region on our list at present (Stringer, Dickson, Crameri to name just a few) we should be partnering not just with Ballarat but Bendigo as well. Many folks here support the Cats because they're a) seen as a regional team :rolleyes: or b) are the closest.

bornadog
02-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Many folks here support the Cats because they're a) seen as a regional team :rolleyes: or b) are the closest.

Yet according to Google, Ballarat to Geelong and Ballarat to West Footscray are both - 1 hour 11 minutes driving.

craigsahibee
02-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Yet according to Google, Ballarat to Geelong and Ballarat to West Footscray are both - 1 hour 11 minutes driving.

1 Hr 58m from Mooroolbark. That's a 6 can trip. Might need a chauffeur.

bornadog
02-02-2016, 06:03 PM

Get on the train :)

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Get on the train :)

Compared to Etihad and the MCG for our members living in the outer Eastern Suburbs, Ballarat isn't an attractive proposition . Becomes difficult for families should we be given twilight or a night game in Ballarat.

SlimPickens
06-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Compared to Etihad and the MCG for our members living in the outer Eastern Suburbs, Ballarat isn't an attractive proposition . Becomes difficult for families should we be given twilight or a night game in Ballarat.

Much easier than Canberra, Darwin or Cairns. Looking forward to shivering it out with my bulldog brothers and sisters.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Much easier than Canberra, Darwin or Cairns. Looking forward to shivering it out with my bulldog brothers and sisters.

I like your sense of humour.

Bulldog4life
09-02-2016, 01:39 PM

Let's hope both games are not smack bang in the middle of winter. Bbbbrrrrrr...very very cold.

ledge
09-02-2016, 01:51 PM
They will obviously be interstate teams we play against, don't the Adelaide Crows have a tie with Ballarat too?

LostDoggy
09-02-2016, 02:08 PM
They will obviously be interstate teams we play against, don't the Adelaide Crows have a tie with Ballarat too?

When Ballarat was announced, the Adelaide teams were identified as likely teams to be scheduled there as Ballarat is closer to Adelaide than any other interstate venue and driveable for the keen. Cars/busses to Ballarat from Adelaide will have a 2-3 hour less round trip compared to MCG/Etihad.

Eastdog
09-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Let's hope both games are not smack bang in the middle of winter. Bbbbrrrrrr...very very cold.

Yep very true B4L. As Ballarat is on higher land this much colder in the winter time.

Eastdog
09-02-2016, 06:28 PM

If you take the train. Belgrave/Lilydale line then change at Southern Cross and take the Vline
train to Ballarat.

LostDoggy
09-02-2016, 06:39 PM
If you took the train. Belgrave/Lilydale line then change at Southern Cross and take the Vline
train to Ballarat.

Just be sure to disguise the cans :):)

Twodogs
09-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Brett Goodes.

The locals here (I live in Ballarat, moved here last August when I found out we'd be playing home games here ;)) are very "local" with their footy — the local news revolves heavily around either local teams or any particular AFL player with a Ballarat connection.

With a raft of talent from this region on our list at present (Stringer, Dickson, Crameri to name just a few) we should be partnering not just with Ballarat but Bendigo as well. Many folks here support the Cats because they're a) seen as a regional team :rolleyes: or b) are the closest.

I wouldn't go saying that Bendigo boys are from the Ballarat region in town. If the locals don't lynch you then the Bendigonians certainly will. :)

Webby
09-02-2016, 10:04 PM
When Ballarat was announced, the Adelaide teams were identified as likely teams to be scheduled there as Ballarat is closer to Adelaide than any other interstate venue and driveable for the keen. Cars/busses to Ballarat from Adelaide will have a 2-3 hour less round trip compared to MCG/Etihad.

With only 18,000 seats, we'll pack the ground out without any help from Adelaide clubs. In fact, I can't help but think a lot of them will potentially block out the locals from going.

I can't help but think Gold Coast or GWS would be the better fit. Right size stadium, plus a bit of a home state, home climate advantage.

LostDoggy
09-02-2016, 10:13 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/western-bulldogs-seal-government-ballarat-deal-20150911-gjkqou.html

The Adelaide angle will definitely be part of the planning though, as outlined above.

LostDoggy
10-02-2016, 09:43 PM

Google doesn't have to sit in first gear on the Ring Road. Geelong is closer.

Twodogs
15-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Google doesn't have to sit in first gear on the Ring Road. Geelong is closer.

Drive an auto, problem solved.

Ozza
15-02-2016, 01:36 PM

My sentiments exactly. Much prefer the prospect of a little road trip to Ballarat once or twice a year, than our usual interstate home game in the 4:40 timeslot on tv.

bornadog
26-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Design for stadium.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2016_Hero/DefCon/HERO_EurekaDrawingsWBE.jpg

story here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-04-26/eureka-stadium-designs-released)

Murphy'sLore
26-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Well that looks lovely.

GVGjr
26-04-2016, 07:33 PM
They should finish it off. It will be a windy hollow if they don't enclose it properly.

Webby
26-04-2016, 08:05 PM
They should finish it off. It will be a windy hollow if they don't enclose it properly.

Yep. I also recall the capacity being touted as something like 23k, then 17k and now I see it's 11k....
Surely 11k isn't enough to accommodate one-third of our members?!

I'm slightly underwhelmed with how far this thing's been scaled back..

GVGjr
26-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Yep. I also recall the capacity being touted as something like 23k, then 17k and now I see it's 11k....

Same here. I think there could be a tendency to be 'half in' on this venture. We will have something nice but not great and if it works we will be back to the drawing board to add a bit more capacity from time to time. Classic mistake because people don't have patience for 2nd and 3rd iterations of the same thing.

The aim should be to build a stadium that holds 15K seated and has room for 6K standing and we will grow into the stadium right from day one rather than out of it within the first season.

bornadog
26-04-2016, 11:20 PM

Not sure where you got that from. You need to read the OP.

I am sure if it is a huge success the Government will fund another grandstand.

1eyedog
26-04-2016, 11:33 PM
I reckon 2-3k Ballarat people would enjoy attending a neutral game of AFL footy.

Webby
26-04-2016, 11:46 PM
Not sure where you got that from. You need to read the OP.

I'm sure when Brumby was proposing funding Norf, it was 23k. Then when Andrews announced funding for us, the capacity was touted as being from 15k up to 20k. Now I see it's 11k...

Here's the article from the start of this thread, BAD:
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2677622/labor-promise-western-bulldogs-will-play-two-afl-games-in-ballarat-every-season/?cs=4170

bornadog
26-04-2016, 11:50 PM
I'm sure when Brumby was proposing funding Norf, it was 23k. Then when Andrews announced funding for us, the capacity was touted as being from 15k up to 20k. Now I see it's 11k...

Here's the article from the start of this thread, BAD:
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2677622/labor-promise-western-bulldogs-will-play-two-afl-games-in-ballarat-every-season/?cs=4170

The Stand was meant to be for 6000 and now looks like 5000?

Webby
26-04-2016, 11:56 PM
The Stand was meant to be for 6000 and now looks like 5000?

In simple terms:

This article from Nov 2014 suggests 15-20k stadium capacity:

And this article from Apr 2016 suggests 11k capacity:
http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-04-26/eureka-stadium-designs-released

Does this satisfactorily explain my above comments?

bornadog
26-04-2016, 11:57 PM
In simple terms:

This article from last year suggests 15-20k stadium capacity:

And this article from today suggests 11k capacity:
http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-04-26/eureka-stadium-designs-released

This From 2014: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/new-proposal-for-afl-games-in-ballarat-20140407-zqry3.html

Webby
27-04-2016, 12:05 AM
This From 2014: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/new-proposal-for-afl-games-in-ballarat-20140407-zqry3.html

So are you violently agreeing with me that the proposed capacity was at least 15k, but based on today's article seems to have been scaled back to 11k? Or are you prolonging the discussion for semantics' sake, BAD?

bornadog
27-04-2016, 09:54 AM
So are you violently agreeing with me that the proposed capacity was at least 15k, but based on today's article seems to have been scaled back to 11k? Or are you prolonging the discussion for semantics' sake, BAD?

I am agreeing, but when you said 23k I had never heard of the number being that high. Not saying it's not correct either.

1eyedog
27-04-2016, 10:45 AM
11k is a terribly low number is this seating? If we get 3-4k of local people going to a game of footy that leaves 6-7k for members and general supporters. I can see a lock out and many disgruntled people being the end result.

bornadog
27-04-2016, 10:49 AM
11k is a terribly low number is this seating? If we get 3-4k of local people going to a game of footy that leaves 6-7k for members and general supporters. I can see a lock out and many disgruntled people being the end result.

That would be good as it means the experiment is a success and the government will have to spend more and build another stadium.

Mantis
27-04-2016, 12:10 PM
That would be good as it means the experiment is a success and the government will have to spend more and build another stadium.

How is it good that people miss going to see a game of live footy?

I would be mightily pissed if I drove up to the game to only be told the ground is full.

chef
27-04-2016, 12:24 PM

I would be mightily pissed if I drove up to the game to only be told the ground is full.

Wouldn't you buy a ticket before driving to Ballarat?

Eastdog
27-04-2016, 12:25 PM

Our supporters who come from far away to be turned down and not get in would be very annoyed for sure making that effort.

Eastdog
27-04-2016, 12:26 PM

Yep fair point you would probably pre book before the game and not buy a ticket there on game day.

bornadog
27-04-2016, 12:28 PM

The demand to get in would be great for the game. Book early.;)

hujsh
27-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Would membership not get you in? I wouldn't have assumed you'd need to pay for a ticket as well

KT31
27-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Would membership not get you in? I wouldn't have assumed you'd need to pay for a ticket as well

Membership does not guarantee entree, a couple of years back a couple of mates could not get into one of our home games at Canberra using their memberships because of the ground restrictions.
Fortunately for them a bloke came past and handed them a couple of gold passes to get in.

Ghost Dog
27-04-2016, 04:08 PM
I went to our NAB game in Ballarat. the 'carpark' ( road outside the ground) went for miles. It was a huge day and we could easily get 6,000 people locally, add to that the numbers coming down on V-line to make for a good NRL-sized crowd of 10,000 - 15,000 people. It's so much fun watching AFL players close up at a regional ground.

Ghost Dog
27-04-2016, 04:11 PM
I reckon 2-3k Ballarat people would enjoy attending a neutral game of AFL footy.

More, if you take in people coming from regional areas. Colac, Hamilton, Warrnabool, Geelong.

Mantis
27-04-2016, 04:17 PM

Isn't that what my membership card is?

chef
27-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Isn't that what my membership card is?

Membership doesn't always guarantee(see KT31's post above) as its not our average home game.

Ground holds 11k we have 30k+ members, i wouldnt just rock up.

Im sure a simple phone call to the club would be all thats needed to find out before the game.

Webby
27-04-2016, 10:04 PM
I am agreeing, but when you said 23k I had never heard of the number being that high. Not saying it's not correct either.

Here's the release from the AFL's own news source:
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-12/bulldogs-strike-gold-with-new-ballarat-deal

It says up to 20k. So comments that 11k is a tad underwhelming are warranted, imo. 11k is almost certain to mean lockouts. I don't see that as good news. We pull 25k easily in Melbourne. I reckon 10k would travel and a few thousand locals (Ballarat and ~90min radius) would want to go.

11k seems futile from the get go. I'd be happy to stand at Ballarat. In fact, it'd be a novelty! Surely some terracing would only cost a six figure sum
To bring the capacity up to mid-high teens?!

Bulldog4life
28-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Here's the release from the AFL's own news source:
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-12/bulldogs-strike-gold-with-new-ballarat-deal

It says up to 20k. So comments that 11k is a tad underwhelming are warranted, imo. 11k is almost certain to mean lockouts. I don't see that as good news. We pull 25k easily in Melbourne. I reckon 10k would travel and a few thousand locals (Ballarat and ~90min radius) would want to go.

11k seems futile from the get go. I'd be happy to stand at Ballarat. In fact, it'd be a novelty! Surely some terracing would only cost a six figure sum
To bring the capacity up to mid-high teens?!

Thanks for the post Webby. Maybe PG who posts sometimes on our forum can answer a few questions on this thread.

Sedat
28-04-2016, 01:27 PM
With the State Govt last night pledging huge funding on public transport improvements on the Melton/Ballarat line, it would not surprise to see further upgrades confirmed for Eureka Stadium in coming years. If it was capped at 11k it would be underwhelming.

bornadog
28-04-2016, 02:29 PM
With the State Govt last night pledging huge funding on public transport improvements on the Melton/Ballarat line, it would not surprise to see further upgrades confirmed for Eureka Stadium in coming years. If it was capped at 11k it would be underwhelming.

No way it would be capped at 11k if there is demand from the members and public. If no one goes to games, they won't spend more money.

GVGjr
28-04-2016, 07:53 PM
No way it would be capped at 11k if there is demand from the members and public. If no one goes to games, they won't spend more money.

I just can't see how 11K is a viable venue for us. If what you are saying is correct they're essentially asking our supporters to travel up there and squeeze into a small venue for a couple of years then they may upgrade it to 15K etc etc
Wouldn't they be better to build something that we could grow into not out of in the first season or two?

I'd probably make the trip for the first game but if it's a half complete stadium then I would imagine many wouldn't be bothered.

bornadog
28-04-2016, 10:50 PM
I just can't see how 11K is a viable venue for us. If what you are saying is correct they're essentially asking our supporters to travel up there and squeeze into a small venue for a couple of years then they may upgrade it to 15K etc etc
Wouldn't they be better to build something that we could grow into not out of in the first season or two?

I'd probably make the trip for the first game but if it's a half complete stadium then I would imagine many wouldn't be bothered.

11k seems very small if you combine Ballarat attendees plus Melbourne. I hope supporters will go up there and we do pack it out.

Pretty sure we are only playing one game next year and then two the following year.

Twodogs
29-04-2016, 12:12 AM

It's looking at it the wrong way around. It doesn't makes any sense building a stadium that size for AFL football. Anyway I'm sure the AFL has minimum requirements for ground capacity. The 11k might the first stage of construction capacity maybe?

Webby
01-05-2016, 11:03 AM
There's an article on p53 of today's Hun which quotes PG as saying our preference is for Port or Adelaide for the Ballarat game next year.

With an extremely modest 11k capacity, why would we want 4-6k South Australians driving over? Surely GC or GWS would be the way to go?

I could understand if you had a 25k stadium, you'd push hard for the SA clubs, but with 11k it will surely just exacerbate the capacity issue?!

Perhaps there is an option to put in some Grand Prix style temporary seating or something... So as to say, "Hey Andrews, get another grandstand built ASAP!"

It'd just be nice for them to have gone with 20k from the get go. That's all.

GVGjr
01-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Agree Webby that GWS or GC make more sense. While it should be great for Ballarat to have a venue like that currently from what I'm reading it won't be quite what we need. I hope it's not a case of us having to prove we can fill it before they build something bigger.

bornadog
01-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Agree Webby that GWS or GC make more sense. While it should be great for Ballarat to have a venue like that currently from what I'm reading it won't be quite what we need. I hope it's not a case of us having to prove we can fill it before they build something bigger.

Also if there are only one or two games per year, why spend say 60 million (instead of the current 30) just for those few games.

GVGjr
01-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Also if there are only one or two games per year, why spend say 60 million (instead of the current 30) just for those few games.

I think the point I'm making is that I don't see the sense of building something we will grow out of in season one. Whatever way we dress this up a venue that asks people to commute from Melbourne to just isn't viable for us if it only holds 11,000 people.

I don't believe it would cost another 30m to turn this into a 18k stadium in fact to just enclose the ground without a lot of seating would probably be less than another 10m.

I just don't see why they are planning to 3 quarter complete the stadium

Ozza
02-05-2016, 12:33 PM
I think the point I'm making is that I don't see the sense of building something we will grow out of in season one. Whatever way we dress this up a venue that asks people to commute from Melbourne to just isn't viable for us if it only holds 11,000 people.

I don't believe it would cost another 30m to turn this into a 18k stadium in fact to just enclose the ground without a lot of seating would probably be less than another 10m.

I just don't see why they are planning to 3 quarter complete the stadium

Only just saw this. 11,000 capacity! Quite ridiculous.

I thought this initiative was going to be a good thing. Its now starting to sound and smell bad.

Bulldog4life
02-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Only just saw this. 11,000 capacity! Quite ridiculous.

I thought this initiative was going to be a good thing. Its now starting to sound and smell bad.

This is only the first phase of the re-development. Not sure how many phases there will be but I'm sure there will be more than one..

Bulldog4life
02-05-2016, 07:49 PM
The Ballarat City Council is currently studying the stages two and three of development of the stadium precinct in accordance with the Ballarat Major Events Precinct Master Plan, although these stages are not yet funded.[4] Stages two and three are planned to include the construction of two more grandstands as well as ongoing development of surrounding infrastructure. When completed the stadium will seat approximately 13000-15000 spectators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Stadium

1eyedog
02-05-2016, 10:31 PM
The Ballarat Bulldogs? Well at least it's still in the west!

GVGjr
12-06-2016, 11:25 PM
I read that Peter Gordon is very confident we will play one game there in 2017 with an outside chance of 2. You would have to suspect that it would be 2 games a year from 2018.

Perhaps the devil is in the detail but a stadium of just 11K seems way too small for us now.

azabob
12-06-2016, 11:31 PM
If the stadium only holds 11,000 you would assume that it would be filled with bulldog diehards. I thought the purpose of Ballarat was to try and get locals / neutrals in as supporters and members, but if there is not tickets available to actually go to the game how are we meant to draw them in?

GVGjr
12-06-2016, 11:35 PM
If the stadium only holds 11,000 you would assume that it would be filled with bulldog diehards. I thought the purpose of Ballarat was to try and get locals / neutrals in as supporters and members, but if there is not tickets available to actually go to the game how are we meant to draw them in?

I don't think that will change but it will likely mean less tickets being available for current members.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2016, 11:42 PM
Forgive my complete ignorance on this issue. How do we make lots of money playing 2 home games to a Spotless Stadium type crowd in regional Victoria while our members stay home?

comrade
12-06-2016, 11:42 PM
There seems to be some confusion over this, but my understanding is that the 11,000 capacity is for the first stage of development to be completed in time for 2017.

As more stages are completed over the coming years, the capacity will increase. It really needs to get to hold 15,000-20,000 to include Bulldogs members and some local neutrals.

comrade
12-06-2016, 11:43 PM
Forgive my complete ignorance on this issue. How do we make lots of money playing 2 home games to a Spotless Stadium type crowd in regional Victoria while our members stay home?

I'm assuming Ballarat Council/State Government coughs up some dough.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2016, 11:45 PM
I'm assuming Ballarat Council/State Government coughs up some dough.

To the venue they are. But also to us?

And what of replacement games for members if we can't get in?

GVGjr
12-06-2016, 11:49 PM
There seems to be some confusion over this, but my understanding is that the 11,000 capacity is for the first stage of development to be completed in time for 2017.

As more stages are completed over the coming years, the capacity will increase. It really needs to get to hold 15,000-20,000 to include Bulldogs members and some local neutrals.

11K next year I think is the issue and it might be 2 game sin 2018 in a stadium that holds less than 14K.

LostDoggy
13-06-2016, 01:44 AM
Had dinner there on the weekend, they would want to get a move on and start building the grandstand. Ground looks great but still a heap of work to be started/done!

Topdog
13-06-2016, 12:07 PM
AFL would give us money too for holding games in regional Vic

Eastdog
23-06-2016, 11:15 PM
Would there be replacement games for Ballarat like away games in Victoria where you can use your membership like the one we have for Cairns currently.

ledge
26-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Would there be replacement games for Ballarat like away games in Victoria where you can use your membership like the one we have for Cairns currently.

Probably not .. You don't have to fly to Ballarat it's more a day trip.

Eastdog
27-06-2016, 12:39 AM

Yes you might be right ledge as that only applies to games that we sell interstate e.g: the Cairns game now and the Darwin and Canberra games before that. The membership department I'm sure will email us regarding what will happen with that.

SonofScray
29-06-2016, 08:36 PM

Except there are more members than capacity, which would suggest they'll need to address the potential loss in value for members who can't get in.