PDA

View Full Version : Who will "do a Gilbee" next season?

Dry Rot
07-11-2014, 02:16 PM
IIRC then midfielder Gilbee's career was languishing at the end of 2004.

Then new coach Eade came on board in 2005, saw something different in him and played him in a new position in the back line where he became a fine player.

With our new coach about to join us, with fresh eyes, which player might get a new lease of life playing in a different position in 2015?

Mofra
07-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Will it be someone on our list in 2014?

TBH the one I'm keen to watch is Shane Biggs - he looks good on the field, comes from a successful program and fulfills a need we have (HBF type playing Higgins' role from last year). Swans fans didn't want to lose him which is a positive sign.

I hold hopes for Darley but Biggs is one who could well make himself a best 22 player very quickly. Good timing too, Murph wont be around forever.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Tough one.

I'll nominate Talia. He cops a fair bit of criticism for a 21 yo KPP who showed a bit in his first two years. For whatever reason he fell out of favour/form this season, but I am confident he can have a good year in 2015.

Had a good VFL finals series, he's physically in great shape and a new coach could really help redirect his focus in the right way.

boydogs
07-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Lachie Hunter to the midfield

bulldogtragic
07-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Liam Jones.

Ghost Dog
07-11-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm hoping Easton Wood is the guy who kills it in the backline. He should be at his peak soon.

LostDoggy
07-11-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm hoping Easton Wood is the guy who kills it in the backline. He should be at his peak soon.

In 2013 i thought his future may be in the midfield. With Biggs coming in this may now be an option. He's built like that bloke who recently left us. Wonder if the transition can be made?

LostDoggy
07-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I think Jarrod Grant can be a decent floating backman. I know he is a tease but I think that he good be very creative and give us some good run off the half back line.

chef
07-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Liam Jones.

Who?

F'scary
07-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Jordan "Pretty Boy" Roughead. Perhaps FP/2nd ruck or CHF?

ratsmac
07-11-2014, 09:37 PM
I would love for it to be Prudden. The poor kid seems to break down before he can get going. I liked what little I saw at willi last year.

Bandit
07-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Talia. Very similar scenario to Gilbee.

Smads57
07-11-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm liking Fletch...have been watching his games in the VFL for some time and of all the developing KP backs, I have liked his progress better than others.

Ghost Dog
08-11-2014, 01:02 AM
Speaking of 'Toast' does he have his kicking school still going? Our backs could certainly use some of his experience. Love watching old footage of Lindsay bombing it out of the back line with the leg canon. It was our half back line that caught many teams off guard during the Rocket hey day.

Twodogs
08-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Talia for mine.

Partly out of hope but I reckon he is just the sort of player the new coach could get improvement from pretty quickly. He fills a spot we are crying out to fill. If we concentrate more on what he can do he could step up.

jeemak
08-11-2014, 01:28 AM
Given a clear run at it I think Wallis is going to go a fair way to announcing himself as something more than a defensive - break even - midfielder.

He's going to be a fair bit stronger up top after his lay off in the second half of this year, and I think his ball use will improve significantly with fitness and strength.

Whilst his position won't change a great deal, his dominance in it will.

GVGjr
08-11-2014, 02:05 AM
Speaking of 'Toast' does he have his kicking school still going? Our backs could certainly use some of his experience. Love watching old footage of Lindsay bombing it out of the back line with the leg canon. It was our half back line that caught many teams off guard during the Rocket hey day.

Works at the Saints in a development role

Ghost Dog
08-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Sorry, a little distraction from the thread.

http://youtu.be/DWSdpFANS-4

ratsmac
08-11-2014, 04:36 PM

Gee I miss Gilbee and Johnno

Twodogs
08-11-2014, 05:04 PM
8 running bounces in one possession must be a record surely?

boydogs
08-11-2014, 06:48 PM
8 running bounces in one possession must be a record surely?

I counted 6

Twodogs
08-11-2014, 07:33 PM
I counted 6

I counted them again and got 7!

Bumper Bulldogs
08-11-2014, 07:46 PM
What about Ace, This is the year for him or he looking at a delisting coming his way.

But really I think its going to be Clays time.

azabob
08-11-2014, 07:48 PM
What about Ace, This is the year for him or he looking at a delisting coming his way.

But really I think its going to be Clays time.

When is Clay due back?

boydogs
08-11-2014, 08:46 PM
I counted them again and got 7!

Are you counting the kick to himself? I'm not, I got 3 after the kick before the defensive 50m and another 3 after it. You can see them better in the replay from side on

F'scary
08-11-2014, 08:56 PM
When is Clay due back?

I don't know but I have a feeling it is going to be a whole year of recovery - he won't play senior football in 2015. Would love to be proved wrong but none of us want him to come back prematurely.

SlimPickens
08-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Lin Jong, please for the love of god Lin Jong!!!!

ratsmac
09-11-2014, 02:02 AM
Lin Jong, please for the love of god Lin Jong!!!!

How good was Lin in that VFL grand final! I can't wait for him to belong at AFL level and impact games.

jeemak
09-11-2014, 02:20 AM

The best thing about that was Gilbee knew he had a target in Johnson to kick to. The confidence a decent forward gives to players up the ground can't be underestimated. When your forward can judge a mark and take it like Brad could in those days it's so much easier.

I remember having a discussion with a Geelong supporter after the 2011 GF where he said Ablett would be a much better forward than Brad Johnson ever was. Considering they're pretty much the same height, it's not a bad pound for pound comparison. My view was being a good forward is one thing, but being the Captain of the AA team as a 182cm player playing key forward is a whole level above anything Ablett could hope to do. It will be interesting to see how the comparison pans out over the next couple of years as Ablett goes forward and has less time in the middle.

I personally reckon my money is safe. Brad was a once in a lifetime player as an undersized key forward, which doesn't detract from Ablett also being a once in a lifetime player in his own role as a midfielder.

Twodogs
09-11-2014, 03:38 AM
The best thing about that was Gilbee knew he had a target in Johnson to kick to. The confidence a decent forward gives to players up the ground can't be underestimated. When your forward can judge a mark and take it like Brad could in those days it's so much easier.

I remember having a discussion with a Geelong supporter after the 2011 GF where he said Ablett would be a much better forward than Brad Johnson ever was. Considering they're pretty much the same height, it's not a bad pound for pound comparison. My view was being a good forward is one thing, but being the Captain of the AA team as a 182cm player playing key forward is a whole level above anything Ablett could hope to do.

One of the best summations of Johnno's abilities came one day at Etihad. After we had watched Brad out mark his taller opponent for the third time in the first five minutes of the game my mate turned to me and said "if Johnno was 5 or 6 inches taller we'd be calling him the greatest forward the game had ever seen."