PDA

View Full Version : Chapman's future in doubt

Twodogs
09-11-2014, 01:03 AM
ESSENDON’S recruitment of Western Bulldogs Brownlow Medal winner Adam Cooney has thrown Paul Chapman’s future with the Bombers into a tailspin.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/paul-chapmans-future-at-essendon-in-doubt-as-contract-talks-break-down/story-e6frf3e3-1227116933112

Looks like Chappy isn't happy!

ratsmac
09-11-2014, 01:56 AM
If he was to quit Essendon and throw himself into PSD, would he be worth picking up for a year to add some experience to our young list? I thought he was pretty good for the bombers this year. It doesn't really fit with our rebuild planning but Griffen and Cooney leaving wouldn't have been forecast either.

jeemak
09-11-2014, 02:32 AM
Chappy can retire gracefully, or he can belly-ache like he normally does on the field when things don't go his way.

I'm picking he'll do the latter, and I don't want him anywhere near our club. If he was any sort of club man with any sort of value he'd be retained at Essendon.

GVGjr
09-11-2014, 07:22 AM
If he was to quit Essendon and throw himself into PSD, would he be worth picking up for a year to add some experience to our young list? I thought he was pretty good for the bombers this year. It doesn't really fit with our rebuild planning but Griffen and Cooney leaving wouldn't have been forecast either.

I don't think he is the answer for us. We would have been better to ask Giansiracusa to play on for another season.

LostDoggy
09-11-2014, 07:35 AM
Would make us a laughing stock!

soupman
09-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Wasn't Essendon saying that Cooney was being offered significantly more to go elsewhere (North) but turned that down because he wanted to work with the messiah/spongy surface/knee injectors? If Chapman is on 300k, and Cooney is now on more, but was offered even more than that, does that mean other clubs (North) offered him in the vicinity of 450k+? Crazy for an inconsistent and unaccountable midfielder with dodgy knees towards the end of his career.

Webby
09-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Chappy must have known when he went to Essendon that it's an unstable, ruthless sort of a place. They've got a 120+ year history of riding rough shod over everyone and everything and they're now at the most unstable point in their history....

Beware, Adam Cooney!.. your precious "spongey surface" and big crowds (if you count cretins) will come at a cost! EFC is a powder keg ready to explode.

Scorlibo
09-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Pretty surprising given how well he's played in 2014. The Bombers would be crazy to send him packing imo.

The Doctor
09-11-2014, 08:09 PM
I think the real reason Chapman is unhappy is because he was asked how to spell Gatorade backwards.

Funny how us and Geelong send our dissidents to Essendon and they're already having a problem.

Webby
09-11-2014, 08:36 PM
I think the real reason Chapman is unhappy is because he was asked how to spell Gatorade backwards.

Funny how us and Geelong send our dissidents to Essendon and they're already having a problem.

Bit like Castro emptying his prisons!?

Remi Moses
10-11-2014, 02:24 AM

Id heard they'd posed that question to a kid at the draft camp.
How bizarre and irrelevant is that question ?
Probably that idiot Dodoro

KT31
10-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Id heard they'd posed that question to a kid at the draft camp.
How bizarre and irrelevant is that question ?
Probably that idiot Dodoro
I know its unlikely to happen and any kid would be wrapped to be on a AFL list, but what would happen if one of the guaranteed draft pick's were selected by Essendon and refused to go because of the drug issues ?
Is there a get out clause or do they have no choice ?

westdog54
11-11-2014, 12:43 PM
I know its unlikely to happen and any kid would be wrapped to be on a AFL list, but what would happen if one of the guaranteed draft pick's were selected by Essendon and refused to go because of the drug issues ?

They would essentially have to sit out of footy altogether for at least 2 years unless Essendon traded them, would be my understanding.

KT31
11-11-2014, 02:10 PM
They would essentially have to sit out of footy altogether for at least 2 years unless Essendon traded them, would be my understanding.
Seems to be a bit unfair, I can understand if the kid refused to go to any other club and a two year penalty but the Essendon situation is a whole different kettle of fish and if players at the club have an escape clause, so should a kid who does not want to be caught up in the saga and coached by Hird.

bornadog
11-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Has signed a new contract - new one year deal.

westdog54
11-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Seems to be a bit unfair, I can understand if the kid refused to go to any other club and a two year penalty but the Essendon situation is a whole different kettle of fish and if players at the club have an escape clause, so should a kid who does not want to be caught up in the saga and coached by Hird.
I agree with you. Unfortunately I don't think the system does.

LostDoggy
12-11-2014, 08:18 AM

A few years ago there would have been many a teenage footballer shedding tears at having his number read out by Port Adelaide. I know the Essendon situation is different and in a very different scenario, but if they're guaranteed picks they're 5-10 year players, and only have to play 2 at the Dons.

In a way, I'd prefer Essendon becomes the GWS of the AFL, can watch their talent walk out the door as soon as they've developed them.