PDA

View Full Version : 2014 /15 - List Review Analysis

GVGjr
09-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Just thought I would give our list a quick review before the draft. We really only have one A Grade player in Liberatore.

Veterans
Murphy, Morris, M.Boyd, Minson and Picken (5 Players)

Leaders (Players that are likely walk up selections)
Liberatore, Wallis, Wood, Dahlhaus, Crameri, Roughead and Stevens (7 Players)

Emerging
Johannisen, Stringer, Macrae, Hunter, Bontempelli, T.Boyd and Hrovat (7 Players)

Just off the pace
Grant, Dickson, Smith (Injured) Talia, Roberts, Honeychurch Redpath, Jong, Darley, Campbell and A.Cordy (11 Players)

Unknown Value
Biggs, Prudden, Hamling, Fuller, Pearce and Z.Cordy (6 Players)

In rough terms players are allocated into 3 groups knowing that many players will alternate between various roles.

Midfielders
Liberatore, Wallis, M.Boyd, Picken, Macrae, Stevens, Hrovat, Minson, Campbell, Jong, Prudden (11)

Forwards
T.Boyd, Stringer, Crameri, Bontempelli, Grant, Redpath, Hunter, Dahlhaus, Honeychurch, Smith, Dickson. A.Cordy (12)

Defenders
Morris, Roughead, Morris, Wood, Johannisen, Talia, Roberts, Pearce, Hamling, Biggs, Fuller, Z.Cordy, Darley (13)

Summary
This basic review highlights to me that even allowing that many players will rotate through the midfield it still needs to be the primary focus of the upcoming draft. We almost need to come away with at least one 'ready to go player' just to give us some additional depth.

Our list is also very inexperienced with the additions of Boyd, Biggs and Hamling that haven't come close to covering the loss of experience from the Griffen, Cooney, Jones and Tutt through departures via trades/delistments. I have hopes that Biggs can add some value for us next season, Boyd will play his part but we can't expect too much and Hamling is more of a 2016 option than 2015.

Given the players we have moved and lost to other teams we must make the most of all the draft picks inside of pick 50 that are available to us. Using one of them for a rookie list upgrade is a luxury and a sentiment that I don't think we can afford.
If we need to move someone to the rookie list to maximise the draft picks then we need to do that. This draft will still have a bit to offer inside of pick 50.

As a comparison
Our approach since the end of the season is vastly different to Carlton which finished just one position better than us. While they have a few more A Graders, they have topped up on a number of players and maintained draft picks in the first 2 rounds. It will be interesting to see what value, Jones, Tutt, Whiley, Jacksch and Dick can provide them next season.

bulldogtragic
09-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Thanks G, good round up. I hope Wallis & Stevens turn into walk up starts, but they need to lift a cog or two. Maybe the big names leaving is the positive pressure they need to be leaders.

I can't agree strongly enough on using every single live pick from 3 rounds. I've said on another thread I'd more Pearce on, if the coach wants him as a rookie that's fine, but I don't see clubs lining up to take him. We need those 5 picks, 2 upgrades, then 6 rookies. Foster, Greenwood/Pearce, Ruck, Defender, 2 x mids/runners.

I think I'd be content in that scenario that we've made the best of a bad situation that was our spot 3 weeks ago.

GVGjr
09-11-2014, 05:59 PM
I hope Wallis & Stevens turn into walk up starts, but they need to lift a cog or two. Maybe the big names leaving is the positive pressure they need to be leaders.

I think given our current playing list they will be given a lot of latitude to be senior footballers and leaders next season. We simply won't have the depth of players to drop them as quickly as we did last season.

I can't agree strongly enough on using every single live pick from 3 rounds. I've said on another thread I'd more Pearce on, if the coach wants him as a rookie that's fine, but I don't see clubs lining up to take him. We need those 5 picks, 2 upgrades, then 6 rookies. Foster, Greenwood/Pearce, Ruck, Defender, 2 x mids/runners.

I've considered that we might even need to go for a state league type player that could potentially play some senior football for us with either pick 45 or 46. We can't use picks like that for rookie upgrades.

bulldogtragic
09-11-2014, 06:03 PM
I think given our current playing list they will be given a lot of latitude to be senior footballers and leaders next season. We simply won't have the depth of players to drop them as quickly as we did last season.

I've considered that we might even need to go for a state league type player that could potentially play some senior football for us with either pick 45 or 46. We can't use picks like that for rookie upgrades.

It would be insane to keep Pearce over pick 46, that we haven't done it already is a tad concerning. What position do you consider a state leaguer for?

GVGjr
09-11-2014, 06:29 PM
It would be insane to keep Pearce over pick 46, that we haven't done it already is a tad concerning. What position do you consider a state leaguer for?

Maybe we need to use one of the late picks for a midfielder with a bit of state league experience.

bulldogtragic
09-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Maybe we need to use one of the late picks for a midfielder with a bit of state league experience.

Who'd you like?

The Bulldogs Bite
09-11-2014, 06:42 PM

Agreed.

Although our hand has been somewhat forced, list management to date has been fantastic for the first time in a long time. However, Pearce (for mine) has been the most obvious delist candidate outside of Howard. I'd be disappointed if we rookied him, let alone kept him on the main list. I'd rather re-rookie Greenwood and it's no secret I am not really a fan of his either.

Also agree with GVG a state league mid would be nice, but I wouldn't pick one for the sake of it if a quality one isn't standing out, as I am confident we can net some good kids with our selections.

Go_Dogs
09-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Good summary, and agree with the position we should be utilising all of pre-50 picks in the upcoming draft on new players.

Whilst we only have one A grade player at the moment in Liberatore, the good news is that I think we have the potential to add to that mix this year.

Macrae and Stringer can both become A grade players, with Macrae just a little bit of consistency and strength away, and Stringer probably a bit of fitness and ability to transition into more midfield time.

I'm also pretty optimistic about the talent Hrovat and Hunter have, and see them both as potential A graders, whilst Dahlhaus has some work to do on his finishing skills, he also has a lot of qualities that could see him make the grade. Whilst all 3 will play forward at times, I can see them all developing their midfield craft and ultimately spending a significant amount of time on ball next season.

Bontempelli is probably another year off, but he has shown he will be an A grader too.

Whilst the above players continue to find their feet, I think we need to have some faith the likes of Wallis, Stevens, Smith (when fit), Wood and Jong can provide the backbone of the midfield/running brigade. These players probably won't ever be A graders, but they are all strong, big bodied players who will be able to play very meaningful roles in 2015 and beyond. They should be able to physically impose themselves on the contest/body and run out the year strongly.

All of that being said, I agree we need to look to add more running players this year, and as you have mentioned in another thread, there is some merit in going for a player like Gore, and perhaps a state league player, who can add immediately to our mix.

F'scary
09-11-2014, 08:22 PM
GVGjr, I think Stringer, Macrae, Bontempelli, T Boyd & Hrovat should be in the Leader group as you define it as they, barring injuries, will be walk up starts for 22 games in 2015 and deservedly so. Same for Clay Smith (injured).

In Emerging, which I take it to mean players who should go the next step, force their way into the seniors and become regulars, I would add Grant (seems strange but he is still establishing himself after 50+ games). Therefore, I would only class 3 players as emerging and this is worrying.

Which leaves a problematically large group in the "just off the pace" category. "Just" is probably a generous category for some of the names there. It is tempting break it into 2 categories: "Just" (should show AFL level form at some stage in 2015) and "Substantially off the pace" (not likely to put much pressure on for a senior berth). I would put Fuller, Pearce, Redpath, Darley and A Cordy in the substantially off the pace category.

GVGjr
09-11-2014, 09:05 PM
GVGjr, I think Stringer, Macrae, Bontempelli, T Boyd & Hrovat should be in the Leader group as you define it as they, barring injuries, will be walk up starts for 22 games in 2015 and deservedly so. Same for Clay Smith (injured).

Thanks for the response.

I don't believe we can start the season with players entering their 2nd and 3rd seasons being regarded as leaders. It would be misleading. These are all impressive guys but maybe mid way through the season they might have earned themselves a better rating but at the moment I'm comfortable with the rating I've given. In my opinion Smith being injured and he will miss a large chunk of the season means he can't be rated any higher.

In Emerging, which I take it to mean players who should go the next step, force their way into the seniors and become regulars, I would add Grant (seems strange but he is still establishing himself after 50+ games). Therefore, I would only class 3 players as emerging and this is worrying.

I can't find a spot for him in our best forward line. He would get there if there are injuries which is why he is just off the pace.
I'd have a forward line of
Dahlhaus - Crameri - Bontempelli
Stringer - Boyd - Hunter

Which leaves Grant out of the mix. We need Dahlhaus, Bontempelli and Hunter pushing into midfield roles and Stringer taking a turns as well. Grant just does not offer us enough versatility.

Which leaves a problematically large group in the "just off the pace" category. "Just" is probably a generous category for some of the names there. It is tempting break it into 2 categories: "Just" (should show AFL level form at some stage in 2015) and "Substantially off the pace" (not likely to put much pressure on for a senior berth). I would put Fuller, Pearce, Redpath, Darley and A Cordy in the substantially off the pace category.

I think the break-ups reflect where we are with the playing list. At the very least I think it assists working out where our gaps are.

GVGjr
09-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Who'd you like? Blaine Boekhorst or Haiden Schloaithe might be worth some considerations.

Bulldog Revolution
09-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Nice on GVG,

It highlights why its essential we take 5 kids plus Cordy in the draft (6 total).

I actually have some belief in Pearces ability, but he should be rookied if that is holding us back in terms of a spot.

I'd hope Dahl and others would be close to A graders at the end of the season.

Cyberdoggie
10-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Perhaps we should save those for the rookie list?

I totally agree that we can't use our 40's picks on rookie upgrades, that would be a wasted opportunity as there will be quality players at that level.

If we had no intent of using them then we should of traded those picks to improve our position.

There is a lack of bigger bodies in the engine room and I'm not sold on Wallis being a walk up start.
We certainly lack pace and outside run as well, not sure we would be able to address that with our picks.
Will be very interesting who we pick.

stefoid
11-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Who'd you like?

Could we do worse than Caleb Daniel? There is no doubt he knows how to play footy and he ran a 16.1 beep so he has the endurance already.

yes at 1.67 he is 2 inches shorter than Harvey, but lets face it, at that size you are an outside mid in the AFL. He is quick over short and long distances and can run all day.

Do we need a player like Harvey? yes we do.

Avoid the rush
11-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Could we do worse than Caleb Daniel? There is no doubt he knows how to play footy and he ran a 16.1 beep so he has the endurance already.

yes at 1.67 he is 2 inches shorter than Harvey, but lets face it, at that size you are an outside mid in the AFL. He is quick over short and long distances and can run all day.

Spot on STEFOID. He is a gun and just a natural footballer!!!! We lack his type. He is under sized height wise but a bit of a tank already. If he is still around at 25 or 26 I'd be rapt with his selection

Sedat
11-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Apologies for my laziness, but when is the final deadline for final list lodgements? Using pick 46 to upgrade Redpath would be the height of idiocy IMO, so I'm very much hoping that there is one final delisting to take place so that we have our full compliment of 5 live picks in the top 50.

LostDoggy
11-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Apologies for my laziness, but when is the final deadline for final list lodgements? Using pick 46 to upgrade Redpath would be the height of idiocy IMO, so I'm very much hoping that there is one final delisting to take place so that we have our full compliment of 5 live picks in the top 50.

Wednesday November 12 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes; Out of contract listed AFL primary list players draft nomination form and player request for removal from list form Lodged with AFL; New or expired (after three years) draft nomination form lodgement.

Thursday November 13, by 2pm - List lodgement (2).

Friday November 14 - AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins

Wednesday November 19 - Delisted primary list draft nomination form lodgement; Non–retained rookie players draft nomination form lodgement; Players not registered or played for three years rookie nomination. NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Thursday November 27 - NAB AFL Draft selection meeting (Gold Coast Convention Centre).

Axe Man
11-11-2014, 12:14 PM

He's the same height as Harvey - both are listed as 167cm.

Interesting article on him here comparing him to Andrew Hooper:

Caleb Daniel – this draft’s mini-Ablett (http://www.sen.com.au/news/caleb-daniel-this-draft-s-mini-ablett)

This year’s AFL draft combine is helping to heighten the draft prospects of its smallest participant.

South Australian Caleb Daniel, who starred in this year’s National Under-18 Championships, is quite possibly the most talented player in the draft.

He is also far from a certainty to be picked up by a club.

Daniel stands an imposing 167cm and 66kg – the shortest player in attendance at the combine – but has won many plaudits for his game through both his years as a junior as well as playing with grown men in the SANFL.

In recent years, shorter players have often struggled to be drafted by AFL clubs due to the increasingly physical nature of the game, and when they have have often struggled.

2010 rookie draftee Andrew Hooper is a prime example of this reasoning.

Standing 172cm, but a heftier 83kg, Hooper was the best player at the Under-18’s Championships in 2009, alongside number one draftee David Swallow.

He had a highly impressive AFL Draft Camp, coming second in the agility test, and third in both the 20m sprint and standing vertical leap.

However Hooper was passed up in that year’s National Draft, falling through to the 35th pick of the Rookie Draft when the Bulldog’s picked him up.

A decorated junior and impressive participant at the Draft Camp, Hooper only managed seven games (his first in a final) and seven goals over his three seasons at the Bulldogs, being delisted at the end of 2012.

While Hooper may have failed to establish himself in the AFL, that does not mean that Daniel will have the same fate.

If he were taller, Daniel’s skillset and athleticism would quite possibly call him into the questioning for the number one pick at the draft.

A fantastic 27-possession, three-goal game against Vic Country in the Under-18’s Championships highlighted his potential against quality – albeit youthful – opposition.

Highly skilled off both feet with outstanding agility, Daniel also recorded the equal-best score in the beep test yesterday, scoring a 16.1 alongside New South Wales midfielder Jack Hiscox.

There remains no more interesting a prospect this year than Caleb Daniel – an elite talent in a tiny body.

If there is one player who will have done all he could to make it in the AFL, it will be Daniel.

Cyberdoggie
11-11-2014, 01:27 PM
The difference with Hooper is that he was limited in his ability to cover the ground.
He could only play as a very small defender, or a small forward, and as he wasn't having much of an impact up forward for the dogs
he couldn't find a place.

Daniel from all reports is a ferocious in and under midfielder with elite endurance.
So as long as he isn't as slow as treacle and a liability defensively then I see no reason why his height would be too much of a problem.

KT31
11-11-2014, 02:19 PM
The difference with Hooper is that he was limited in his ability to cover the ground.
He could only play as a very small defender, or a small forward, and as he wasn't having much of an impact up forward for the dogs

Daniel from all reports is a ferocious in and under midfielder with elite endurance.
So as long as he isn't as slow as treacle and a liability defensively then I see no reason why his height would be too much of a problem.

Comparative to Libba Senior ?

LostDoggy
11-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Plus comes with speed and at least a 50 metre kick on him;) Double the Libba,Double the PITBULL ;)

Sedat
11-11-2014, 10:46 PM

Hooper was actually the world's smallest key position forward. He didn't play small in the traditional sense, he only was small.

Greystache
11-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Hooper was actually the world's smallest key position forward. He didn't play small in the traditional sense, he only was small.

Also for a player of his stature he had remarkably poor agility. He really could only run in straight lines.

FrediKanoute
12-11-2014, 02:04 AM
Not opposed to taking caleb, a little like what we did with Honeychurch. I suspect he will fall so I would be inclined to take with our 20's and 30's picks guys we know will not be there later.

wimberga
12-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Not opposed to taking caleb, a little like what we did with Honeychurch. I suspect he will fall so I would be inclined to take with our 20's and 30's picks guys we know will not be there later.

Agree with this. Daniel has some risks and whilst he sure can play, I'd prefer we look set selecting him later in the draft than with any of our first 3 picks

Axe Man
12-11-2014, 10:35 AM
He had a highly impressive AFL Draft Camp, coming second in the agility test, and third in both the 20m sprint and standing vertical leap.

Also for a player of his stature he had remarkably poor agility. He really could only run in straight lines.

So is the agility test flawed or did Hooper put on weight and lose agility after he joined us?

F'scary
12-11-2014, 03:08 PM
So is the agility test flawed or did Hooper put on weight and lose agility after he joined us?

He may have tested agile but his playing style was more human bowling ball than Fred Astaire.

macca
12-11-2014, 11:11 PM
How does good agility translate to being a good footballer or under what scenarios? Just a question on how this state translate to being a good footballer. Can u lose agility and become a worse footballer?

LostDoggy
12-11-2014, 11:21 PM
My take on agility is the ability to move and change directions quickly, certainly helps whilst trying to evade would be tacklers, double back off leads, chase opponents, etc.

Of course you still need to know the right way to use this agility, but having the physical predisposition is certainly important.

Go_Dogs
13-11-2014, 08:42 AM
How does good agility translate to being a good footballer or under what scenarios? Just a question on how this state translate to being a good footballer. Can u lose agility and become a worse footballer?

Hunter's excellent agility test seems to translate pretty well, but he has a very different physique to that which Hooper had.

Ultimately it depends on the role, but as a small playe without break neck speed, I think agility is a pretty important trait.

Maddog37
13-11-2014, 02:02 PM

My thoughts are that if you lose agility then you are buggered unless you change your game to be a bash and crash type.

Greystache
13-11-2014, 06:55 PM

It gives a player more opportunity to wrong foot or weave around an opposition player. After my second knee reco I'd lost almost all agility and could simply not play in defence at all anymore, unless it was as a+1. Opponents would twist and weave and leave me for dead.

If you lack agility you need some others tricks to beat an opponent one on one. Hooper didn't have many. Many players lose their agility when they bulk up.

bornadog
14-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Many players lose their agility when they bulk up.

That is what worries me with Bonti.

westdog54
14-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Bonti's agility isn't his big trump card though. Its the clean hands and ability to free up said clean hands, not to mention that raking left foot.

Greystache
14-11-2014, 10:28 PM

Agree. Which is why I have no interest in trying to make him a key position player. There's more to being a key position player than being tall and muscular, and to me Bonti looks potentially only an average KP prospect. His pace is pretty poor, and I wouldn't want to see his agility reduced either, as it's not brilliant to begin with. He's a midfielder for mine who can occasionally pinch hit forward,and he has the potential to be the best player in the AFL in that role. I really hope we don't limit his potential trying to make him something else.

F'scary
14-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Agree. Which is why I have no interest in trying to make him a key position player. There's more to being a key position player than being tall and muscular, and to me Bonti looks potentially only an average KP prospect. His pace is pretty poor, and I wouldn't want to see his agility reduced either, as it's not brilliant to begin with. He's a midfielder for mine who can occasionally pinch hit forward,and he has the potential to be the best player in the AFL in that role. I really hope we don't limit his potential trying to make him something else.

He can play anywhere. We have our own version of Pavlich or Adam Goodes. You can switch him all over the field. One week you can have him on the wing. The next at CHB, the next at CHF, the next in the centre, the next at FF. And so on.

That is the beauty of having a player of this rare combination of ability, size, stamina and agility.

Sedat
15-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Yep, he should be the next Fyfe of the competition

Hotdog60
15-11-2014, 10:17 AM
It gives a player more opportunity to wrong foot or weave around an opposition player. After my second knee reco I'd lost almost all agility and could simply not play in defence at all anymore, unless it was as a+1. Opponents would twist and weave and leave me for dead.

If you lack agility you need some others tricks to beat an opponent one on one. Hooper didn't have many. Many players lose their agility when they bulk up.

This would be a concern for Smith, will a 2nd reco make him a straight line plodder.

LostDoggy
15-11-2014, 10:25 AM
This would be a concern for Smith, will a 2nd reco make him a straight line plodder.

I hope your keyboard is made of wood:)

F'scary
15-11-2014, 01:18 PM

He already plays like this except for the plodder part.

LostDoggy
19-11-2014, 06:36 PM
I haven't seen much talk on Fletcher Roberts. I seen most his vfl games and he was allways the dominant defender on the field.He also kicked a goal from 60m after the siren agains Richmond vfl to secure second position on the ladder and the home final the following week. I'd love for him to be left at FB for a couple months.

GVGjr
19-11-2014, 06:42 PM
I haven't seen much talk on Fletcher Roberts. I seen most his vfl games and he was allways the dominant defender on the field.He also kicked a goal from 60m after the siren agains Richmond vfl to secure second position on the ladder and the home final the following week. I'd love for him to be left at FB for a couple months.

Either he or Talia must be given an extended run at a key position defenders spot. The concern is his lack of pace but good footballers find a way to cover that.

LostDoggy
19-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Either he or Talia must be given an extended run at a key position defenders spot. The concern is his lack of pace but good footballers find a way to cover that.
Yeah I'm not to sure on talia i find him timid and often doesn't go hard enough when it's his time to go.

KT31
19-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Yeah I'm not to sure on talia i find him timid and often doesn't go hard enough when it's his time to go.

I heard B.Mac didn't rate Talia because of his lack of being able to change direction on the chase.
If this was the case he still could have trialed him as a leading forward, what did we have to lose ?

GVGjr
19-11-2014, 06:55 PM
I heard B.Mac didn't rate Talia because of his lack of being able to change direction on the chase.
If this was the case he still could have trialed him as a leading forward, what did we have to lose ?

I think the knock on Talia is more around the fact that he doesn't generate play preferring to kick across the ground rather than down the field. His one on one work was pretty good from what I saw.
He has to learn to take the game on more but still be very accountable for the defensive side of his game

Bulldog Joe
20-11-2014, 09:28 AM
I think the knock on Talia is more around the fact that he doesn't generate play preferring to kick across the ground rather than down the field. His one on one work was pretty good from what I saw.
He has to learn to take the game on more but still be very accountable for the defensive side of his game

The thing I was told (preseason 2014) was that they were concerned with his ability to defend.

Twodogs
20-11-2014, 04:49 PM
The thing I was told (preseason 2014) was that they were concerned with his ability to defend.

I heard that too. Nobody could explain what defend meant though. Is it not covering ground or an opponent or is he not contesting marking contests properly.

LostDoggy
20-11-2014, 08:18 PM

Agree FF- seems very hesitant when the going gets tough,just not sold on him at all.

Bulldog4life
20-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Agree FF- seems very hesitant when the going gets tough,just not sold on him at all.

I haven't noticed that.

LostDoggy
20-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Really?
Seems to hang out the back or sides of packs when he has the opp to make the pill his own.

LostDoggy
20-11-2014, 09:02 PM
If anyone still has the Footscray grand final win and can view it, watch till about 2 seconds to go till the final siren. There is a long kick the pack forms, Talia runs towards it tucks his shoulder in and jumps into the pack with no eyes for the ball and hits Cordy. My personal opinion of that is that tails is worried about his mates or the ball but himself. Others may see it differently

LostDoggy
20-11-2014, 09:08 PM
If anyone still has the Footscray grand final win and can view it, watch till about 2 seconds to go till the final siren. There is a long kick the pack forms, Talia runs towards it tucks his shoulder in and jumps into the pack with no eyes for the ball and hits Cordy. My personal opinion of that is that tails is worried about his mates or the ball but himself. Others may see it differently

I'm confused from your previous post about Talia being timid.

Are you saying that this is good or bad?

LostDoggy
20-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Bad thing, it was a nice way to call him gutless

LostDoggy
20-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Cheers ;)

GVGjr
23-11-2014, 02:46 PM
This in the Age today should be worth a read.

Tutt is mentioned as a departure and also as a small defender

GVGjr
23-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Another one from AFL.com

Twodogs
23-11-2014, 03:21 PM
This in the Age today should be worth a read.

Tutt is mentioned as a departure and also as a small defender

It's does too. They don't have proof readers anymore I think.

Eastdog
23-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Any good defenders that we could pick up with our picks? That is an area I think we need to address.

Our forward line now looks much better but would you agree that we still need a second tall there.

GVGjr
23-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Any good defenders that we could pick up with our picks? That is an area I think we need to address.

Our forward line now looks much better but would you agree that we still need a second tall there.

Oscar McDonald and Daniel Nielson could be around at our pick 39. Ed Vickers-Willis is a bit short for being a key defender but might be in the mix for pick 26 or 27. Of course we also have Zaine Cordy gift wrapped for us at pick 64.

Eastdog
23-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Oscar McDonald and Daniel Nielson could be around at our pick 39. Ed Vickers-Willis is a bit short for being a key defender but might be in the mix for pick 26 or 27. Of course we also have Zaine Cordy gift wrapped for us at pick 64.

How many defenders GVG do you reckon we should really target in this draft or would next year be better to do it.

GVGjr
23-11-2014, 06:39 PM
How many defenders GVG do you reckon we should really target in this draft or would next year be better to do it.

We have 5 live picks on the night and Cordy so I think maybe just one key defender would be enough. We could take two versatile defenders that could also rotate through the midfield though.

We just need a good mix of athletic players but I suspect we will go with smaller mids.

azabob
23-11-2014, 08:07 PM
We have 5 live picks on the night and Cordy so I think maybe just one key defender would be enough. We could take two versatile defenders that could also rotate through the midfield though.

We just need a good mix of athletic players but I suspect we will go with smaller mids.

And it goes without saying athletic players who have good football skills.

Eastdog
23-11-2014, 09:21 PM
And it goes without saying athletic players who have good football skills.

For sure. Do you think though that some players who early on don't have good footy skills can improve them or is that difficult to do.

bulldogtragic
23-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Jones is the main tall out. So far incoming to the primary list:

Boyd 202cm
Hamling 193cm
Redpath 195cm
Zaine 193cm
Jong 190cm
Biggs 188cm

Our average height is significantly taller already. Interesting to see if this takes any perceived pressure about grabbing talls. I think the last time we did this quickly was the Street, Rawlings, Morgan (etc) couple of years. I think from memory we were then the tallest on average, but it didn't mean much being tall and spudly.

Twodogs
24-11-2014, 01:20 AM
For sure. Do you think though that some players who early on don't have good footy skills can improve them or is that difficult to do.

I think we have to recruit players with good foot skills as a priority.

chef
24-11-2014, 07:24 AM
I think we have to recruit players with good foot skills as a priority.

Every player we ever draft should have to have good foot skills.